PDA

View Full Version : Ed: Polamalu 'Doesn't look Good'

hawaiiansteel
12-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Ed: Polamalu 'Doesn't look Good'

MONDAY, 27 DECEMBER 2010 16:06 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

No word yet on the status of Troy Polamalu for Sunday's game in Cleveland. He's missed the past two games with an injury associated with his Achilles.

However, I just talked to defensive captain James Farrior and he said this about Polamalu's chances of playing against the Browns: “It doesn’t look good, but you never know.’’

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... -look-good (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports-town/steelers/107143-ed-polamalu-doesnt-look-good)

NW Steeler
12-27-2010, 07:20 PM
Sit him. Get the win vs. the Browns and give him a couple of more weeks to get healthy.

:brownssuck

skyhawk
12-27-2010, 07:23 PM
It's really a tragedy that Troy is unable to play an entire season anymore. :HeadBanger

Scarletfire1970
12-27-2010, 09:22 PM
It's really a tragedy that Troy is unable to play an entire season anymore. :HeadBanger
At least he plays more than Sanders.

skyhawk
12-27-2010, 09:38 PM

Deion Sanders? Yes, he does :wink:

Scarletfire1970
12-27-2010, 09:39 PM

The Colt's Sanders.

Shoe
12-27-2010, 10:11 PM

Tragedy is too strong a word. He'll still be back for playoffs. And he still makes the Pro Bowl. It's not like he's Gale Sayers or something.

skyhawk
12-27-2010, 10:18 PM

The Colt's Sanders.

I was jk! :Beer

skyhawk
12-27-2010, 10:19 PM

Tragedy is too strong a word. He'll still be back for playoffs. And he still makes the Pro Bowl. It's not like he's Gale Sayers or something.

I think it is VERY unfortunate one of the best safeties of all time rarely played an entire season.

Scarletfire1970
12-27-2010, 10:34 PM

The Colt's Sanders.

I was jk! :Beer
Oh. Wasn't sure you knew who I was talking about. There are alot more Sanders in the league now. :wink:

Crash
12-27-2010, 11:12 PM
I think Troy is done for the year.

hawaiiansteel
12-28-2010, 02:06 AM

:Agree

Troy will not play again in 2010. :D

RuthlessBurgher
12-28-2010, 10:00 AM

:Agree

Troy will not play again in 2010. :D

http://api.ning.com/files/oVAAAs9zxm1O89jHr20qMszc8nM15mdnZ-*6fztyaywImC9OFVHhXbTpa*fG4VBAJHrvyy976tqEjryhNDh1 TW61N0N6I7c1/motivator_smartass.jpg

:P

NorthCoast
12-28-2010, 10:19 AM
So would you keep Troy on the roster knowing he will only play maybe 12 games a season? Is it worth it? Considering Troy single-handedly was responsible for 2 wins this season, I think it is worth a roster spot.

fezziwig
12-28-2010, 10:52 AM
If this defense can not survive without Troy then, these other players or Lebeau better get their act together. Good teams, defenses find ways to deal with key players out.

RuthlessBurgher
12-28-2010, 11:09 AM
So would you keep Troy on the roster knowing he will only play maybe 12 games a season? Is it worth it? Considering Troy single-handedly was responsible for 2 wins this season, I think it is worth a roster spot.

Ben may only play 12 games a season too. You can't predict injuries. There is no "I think" needed when determining whether or not Troy deserves a roster spot...that's a given.

fezziwig
12-28-2010, 11:59 AM
It is Troys style of play that gets him all his injuries and with his style of play makes him so special. Yeah, Troy's a keeper but I wish he could cultivate his style of play without getting injured.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Funny, here is a different article which includes the same quote from Farrior but with a different headline:

There's a chance Polamalu will play against Cleveland

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, December 28, 2010
Last updated: 12:41 pm

Injured strong safety Troy Polamalu could return for the regular-season finale Sunday in Cleveland, a game the Steelers likely have to win to capture the AFC North title and the No. 2 seed in the AFC playoffs.

Polamalu, who is likely to be named to his sixth Pro Bowl tonight when rosters for the annual all-star contest are announced, has missed the last two games with a lower leg injury.

“Troy’s improving,” Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said today at his weekly news conference. “It’s not out of the realm of possibility that he could play (in Cleveland) and if he’s healthy he will.”

Tomlin said Polamalu will rest Wednesday and Thursday and then try to practice Friday. A decision on his availability, Tomlin said, will be based on how Polamalu’s leg responds to practice.

When asked yesterday if he expects Polamalu to play against the 5-10 Browns, inside linebacker James Farrior said, “Doesn’t look good but you never know.”

Ghost
12-28-2010, 02:24 PM
This game should be a lock without Troy playing. I know the browns play the Steelers tough but you've got a lame duck coach about to be fired and a QB who looked very much like a rookie against Baltimore. With a the division title on the line along with a bye week and a home playoff game; this team shouldn't need anything else to take it to Cleveland. This should be a double digit win with multiple defensive take-aways.

Djfan
12-28-2010, 02:27 PM
This game should be a lock without Troy playing. I know the browns play the Steelers tough but you've got a lame duck coach about to be fired and a QB who looked very much like a rookie against Baltimore. With a the division title on the line along with a bye week and a home playoff game; this team shouldn't need anything else to take it to Cleveland. This should be a double digit win with multiple defensive take-aways.

You just guaranteed a Stains win!

jk

feltdizz
12-28-2010, 02:43 PM

I think any team would keep a guy on their roster if they know he can win one game for them every year.

fezziwig
12-28-2010, 02:46 PM

I think any team would keep a guy on their roster if they know he can win one game for them every year.

I hope that doesn't go for coaches too.

SteelCzar76
12-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Would i like for Troy to play every single regular season game? Certainly. But i can live with the chance that he may miss a few games a year because the bottom line to me is that he's (Troy) a once in a generation talent that (contrary to what ANY say about wrangler commercial average Roethlisberger's value to the team) is HANDS DOWN the MVP of this franchise.

RuthlessBurgher
12-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Would i like for Troy to play every single regular season game? Certainly. But i can live with the chance that he may miss a few games a year because the bottom line to me is that he's (Troy) a once in a generation talent that (contrary to what ANY say about wrangler commercial average Roethlisberger's value to the team) is HANDS DOWN the MVP of this franchise.

We've all been anxiously waiting for you to come up with a new insult to rival your classic "ordinary as a bowl of grits" line, and I think you may have done so with this newfangled "wrangler commercial average" description. Kudos!

Crash
12-28-2010, 03:02 PM
No Ben = No rings. Even if Troy is here.

Prime example? The Steelers record without Ben against the Ravens since 2004.

SteelCrazy
12-28-2010, 03:20 PM
Simple as this, If we can't beat the Browns without Troy, we're not going very far in the playoffs with him. The Pats are too good on D now and Baltimore, Jets are both looking better.

Sit Troy and let the cards fall where they may........

SteelCzar76
12-28-2010, 03:33 PM
No Ben = No rings. Even if Troy is here.

Prime example? The Steelers record without Ben against the Ravens since 2004.

I was going to bring up the fact that it was in fact Troy whom closed out the Ravens in the conference Title game of our last Championship run when our offense led by the great and and all powerful Roethlisberger had struggled to score very many points at all. (as they had done for the most part of that season as Troy and co carried them)

But instead i'll ask you this,...give us all our record as a franchise when Troy is out since he's been a starter as well the same concerning Roethlisberger.

Crash
12-28-2010, 03:38 PM
I was going to bring up the fact that it was in fact Troy whom closed out the Ravens in the conference Title game of our last Championship run when our offense led by the great and and all powerful Roethlisberger had struggled to score very many points at all. (as they had done for the most part of that season as Troy and co carried them)

They didn't struggle, they couldn't catch.

Holmes had a TD in the first quarter, clang, drop.

Parker had a TD on the same drive, clang, drop.

Sweed had a long TD in the second quarter, clang, drop.

That's 11 points gone in one half, had they caught the ball, the game is a rout after 30 minutes.

SteelCzar76
12-28-2010, 03:41 PM

They didn't struggle, they couldn't catch.

Holmes had a TD in the first quarter, clang, drop.

Parker had a TD on the same drive, clang, drop.

Sweed had a long TD in the second quarter, clang, drop.

That's 11 points gone in one half, had they caught the ball, the game is a rout after 30 minutes.

That's not what i asked you Crash,.... :lol:

hawaiiansteel
12-28-2010, 04:00 PM
Polamalu plans to practice Friday

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 28, 2010

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/t-polamalu11.jpg?w=141

The Steelers need a win in Cleveland on Sunday to ensure getting a playoff bye, so they will do everything necessary to win. That includes possibly playing safety Troy Polamalu despite his Achilles injury.

“We’re going to practice him on Friday and see where that takes us,” Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said on Tuesday via Scout.com.

The Steelers will face Browns rookie Colt McCoy coming off his worst game as a pro. Tomlin disputed the idea that McCoy struggled last week, though.

“He really didn’t struggle. Playing against Ed Reed is something that all quarterbacks gotta learn how to do. There’s no manual for playing against Ed Reed and I’m sure it’s a lesson well-learned.”

There’s no manual for playing against Polamalu either, and that’s why the Steelers would love to get their defensive leader back.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...actice-friday/

Crash
12-28-2010, 04:03 PM
He's not playing IMO. This is just to keep the rest of the team on their toes to enforce to them how important the game is.

SteelCrazy
12-28-2010, 04:15 PM
If Mundy plays like he did last week, then we may need to sit Clark when Troy is healthy....just a thought

Crash
12-28-2010, 04:17 PM
A bad thought.....

Shoe
12-28-2010, 05:25 PM

I think it is VERY unfortunate one of the best safeties of all time rarely played an entire season.

I still don't quite understand what you are saying... the guy was already just recently ranked as one of the Top 10 players in Steelers history. And... if he probably produces 2-3 more Polamalu-esque seasons, he's going to Canton. He's (so far) won two Super Bowls.
What are you saying?

SteelCrazy
12-28-2010, 06:00 PM
A bad thought.....

Mundy played better then Clark has all year....IMO, it was just one game, but a good one.

ramblinjim
12-28-2010, 06:36 PM
I'm with Ghost, we should be able to beat the Stains without Troy. Let him rest, get the bye and bring him back to stomp on the Chiefs and Matt Cassel (who look pretty good btw) in the playoffs.

SteelCzar76
12-28-2010, 07:10 PM

We've all been anxiously waiting for you to come up with a new insult to rival your classic "ordinary as a bowl of grits" line, and I think you may have done so with this newfangled "wrangler commercial average" description. Kudos!

Sorry about the wait Ruthless,...but i specified to the promoters that i only wanted Red M&M's, bottled water from Lanarkshire Scotland, the finest of mediterranean/and or Celtic breast milk and they failed. :lol:

NJ-STEELER
12-28-2010, 10:51 PM
dont know if this was mentioned

but why was he still in the game vs. cincy if the injury was this bad...esp after we were up big??

BATMAN
12-29-2010, 12:29 AM
Cowher had number one defenses, number one running offenses but didn't win the big prize until he got a number one quarterback.

Ben is the reason this team wins or at least, that the offense can get things done.

Without Ben we would have never made it to our last two Super Bowls.

fordfixer
12-29-2010, 02:30 AM
Polamalu a possibility for Sunday

By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 8715b5a139 (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Polamalu-a-possibility-for-Sunday/ab8bfd28-5c39-4514-be1b-a68715b5a139)

Safety Troy Polamalu missed the last two games with an ankle injury, but there is a chance he could be back on the field this week when the Steelers travel to Cleveland to take on the Browns.

“Troy is improving,” said Coach Mike Tomlin. “We are going to look at him, watch him move a little bit here this week. It’s not out of the realm of possibility that he can play this weekend. And if he is healthy, he will.”

Polamalu isn’t expected to practice on Wednesday or Thursday, but Tomlin is hoping he will return to practice on Friday and be evaluated then.

Running back Mewelde Moore is considered questionable at this point with a knee sprain. If he can’t play, rookie Jonathan Dwyer would be active on Sunday, but it’s too soon to rule Moore out.

Defensive end Aaron Smith isn’t expected to play against the Browns, but is making progress and there is still hope he could return for the playoffs.

“Aaron Smith is a week better. We scanned him. He is healing nicely,” said Tomlin. “Again he is pushing and lifting weights and is inching closer to practice participation and hopefully game participation here at some point.”

Tomlin also provided the following injury update: “Bryant McFadden has a hip pointer. It may limit him at the early part of the week. LaMarr Woodley has some swelling on his left knee, same thing there. Jason Worilds was injured in the game; he has some swelling on his knee. It may limit him during the early portions of the week. And particularly with a young guy who is limited from a practice standpoint that would put his participation in question. We will see where the week takes us in regards to him.”

Things have heated up in recent years in the rivalry between the Steelers and Baltimore Ravens in the AFC North, but that doesn’t mean it’s cooled off between the Steelers and Browns.

The two teams are separated by less than 150 miles and a road game means a team taking a bus trip, and not flying to the city.

“Anytime in the National Football League that you are getting on a bus to go play a game, man that is a pretty heated rivalry,” said Tomlin. “Not many bus trips in the National Football League. Just from a proximity standpoint, it’s unique. The history is what it is. Of course, two storied franchises, the fans. I think the close proximity and the history makes it what it is.
“I like to have a rivalry with every team we play. That’s just the nature of it. We have a rivalry versus the Ravens, versus the Bengals and the Browns, as far as I am concerned. That is just the nature of AFC North football. Their perceptions of the rivalry, I can’t control.”

hawaiiansteel
12-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Steelers Ryan Mundy

by CRAIG WOLFLEY on DECEMBER 28, 2010

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2010/09000d5d81d26565_gallery_600.jpg

Troy Polamalu has the thing going on in his lower leg. According to Coach Mike, Troy is getting better and Friday will be the determining factor as to whether Troy participates in the Cleveland game.

If Troy is getting better over the two weeks that he’s out, what about making it five weeks? Sounds good to me. The Steelers can win in Cleveland, get the bye and rest Troy for five weeks because Ryan Mundy is making plays filling in for Troy.

No, Ryan is not Troy. But the Carolina game convinced me that resting Troy and cutting Ryan loose on the field for another go is, in my most humble estimation, the best way to proceed. If Troy is 100%, sure, that’s a no brainer. But if he’s anything less, Mundy can do the job.

According to Coach Mike, Ryan’s play after the Jets game was “above the line.” The final Carolina game stats on Ryan read eight tackles, one pass defensed.

Mike Tomlin doesn’t strike me as a man that is overly influenced by statistics, but more on what the end results of a man’s work that shows up on tape. Including the ones that don’t make the stat sheet. Ryan’s work statistically, and on plays that don’t warrant a stat both seemed above the line.

I watched from the sidelines when on an off-tackle run Mundy took on the 300-plus pound offensive guard Bernadeau of the Panthers, held his ground while setting the edge and turning the ball carrier back inside who was tackled for a short gain.

Or the time in the 4th quarter when locked up in man coverage with the TE Rosario on a play-action pass with a delayed release by Rosario, Mundy wasn’t fooled and got inside position and knocked the ball down in the end zone.

Or the whack he laid on Stewart when Ryan came up from the secondary and delivered a big hit. Of course that cost Ryan a play or two of “timeout” on the sidelines after he suffered a classic case of de-celeration trauma on that big hit.

Right now Ryan is more high voltage hits and testosterone than game brains, but game brains only come through reps and experience. It is the natural progression of young bucks becoming solid players. Ryan is right on schedule in that progression.

Whether Troy gets an extended holiday break or not, Mike Tomlin knows one thing. The young man Ryan Mundy can most definitely get it done.

http://craigwolfley.com/2010/12/steelers-ryan-mundy/

skyhawk
12-29-2010, 10:09 PM

I still don't quite understand what you are saying... the guy was already just recently ranked as one of the Top 10 players in Steelers history. And... if he probably produces 2-3 more Polamalu-esque seasons, he's going to Canton. He's (so far) won two Super Bowls.
What are you saying?

I'm saying it hurts the Steelers winning games and his fans when he doesn't play. Unforeseen, this is. And unfortunate. As Yoda would say ;)

skyhawk
12-29-2010, 10:10 PM
Cowher had number one defenses, number one running offenses but didn't win the big prize until he got a number one quarterback.

Ben is the reason this team wins or at least, that the offense can get things done.

Without Ben we would have never made it to our last two Super Bowls.

$$$

:Cheers

Smashmouth
12-29-2010, 11:27 PM
Without Troy, Ben's job is a lot tougher. Without Ben, we wouldn't even be talking about how important this injury might be. :2c

steelers75
12-31-2010, 11:14 AM
....contrary to what ANY say about wrangler commercial average Roethlisberger's value to the team....

As opposed to the oh-so-elite Rivers who just expertly guided his squad to a 14-point loss against one of the worst teams in the league, losing a possible spot in the postseason in the process? Fantasy football nerd.

feltdizz
12-31-2010, 11:39 AM
Without Troy, Ben's job is a lot tougher. Without Ben, we wouldn't even be talking about how important this injury might be. :2c

That's bull.... both are equally important. IMO. We had a healthy Ben and an injured Troy and went 9-7 last year...

We went 3-1 and was one play from 4-0 without Ben to start the season.

Now I know we don't win any SB's without Ben but lets be honest... we don't win SB's without Troy either.

Ben is fortunate to have a D like this to work with... and the D is fortunate to have a QB like Ben.

hawaiiansteel
12-31-2010, 04:50 PM
Steelers Polamalu practices, but remains questionable for Browns game

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, December 31, 2010

Steelers strong safety Troy Polamalu practiced today for the first time in three weeks, and afterward said he wants to play Sunday against the Browns.

Polamalu, who has missed the last two games with a right Achilles injury, is listed as questionable for the Steelers’ regular-season finale in Cleveland.

“I felt better than I have been feeling so I feel pretty good about that,” Polamalu said today after practice. “I’ve been feeling better and better since I missed the Jets game. At this point of the season you’ve just got to roll with injuries since everybody’s injured right now.”

When asked if he will play against the Browns, Polamalu said, “It’s 100 percent on what coach (Mike) Tomlin wants.”

The Steelers likely need to beat the Browns to win the AFC North and secure the No. 2 seed in the AFC playoffs.

If they are the No. 2 seed the Steelers will get a first-round bye. If the Steelers lose to the Browns they will likely be the No. 6 seed, and they will have to play on the road the following Saturday or Sunday.

“I think part of the motivation is he knows if he plays and we get this bye he gets more rest so that’s what we’re going for,” Steelers free safety Ryan Clark said of Polamalu wanting to play against the Browns. “He got some rest and looks like he is ready to go.”

If the Steelers hold Polamalu out against the Browns, Ryan Mundy will make his third consecutive start at strong safety.

In other injury news, running back Mewelde Moore (knee) has been declared out for Sunday’s game, meaning rookie Jonathan Dwyer will dress for the first time this season.

Rookie outside linebacker Jason Worilds (knee) is questionable for the game after only practicing on a limited basis this week.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 16177.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_716177.html)

papillon
12-31-2010, 05:12 PM
I wish the Steeler game was at 4:15 instead of 1:00, then the answer to the question could be answered by the Bengals and Ravens.

Pappy

AzStillers1989
12-31-2010, 05:45 PM
alsow owuld be nice if it was a 2:15 game ( i live in az) cause i gotta work for 4 stupid hours sunday , i just switched my shift so i could have sundays off too but they split my saturday up cause they figure it will be busy for sum stupid reason. I will just record it and hide myself from the tv till one when i get off then come home and rewind till the beggining :)

GO STEELERS!!!!! :tt2 :tt1

hawaiiansteel
01-01-2011, 11:04 PM
Cleveland Browns fans: Which current Steeler is most dangerous? Poll

Published: Thursday, December 30, 2010
By Chuck Yarborough, The Plain Dealer

Is linebacker James Harrison the most dangerous weapon in the Steelers arsenal? We'd ask Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi, but we doubt if he can remember if Harrison was the truck that hit him in September.

http://media.cleveland.com/startingblocks/photo/9157878-large.jpg

Cleveland, Ohio -- The military genius Sun Tzu, in his book "The Art of War," articulated several basic principles, but none greater than the importance of knowing your enemy as you know yourself. Now all Browns fans can go up and down the Cleveland roster and, given a first name, supply the last. And they can do the same with the Steelers.

The Pittsburgh weapons locker is deep and well-stocked. But which weapon is more lethal? Is it quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who seems to defy physics when wrapped up by a would-be sacker? Heinz Ward, who can catch a ball over the middle and lay out the safety who dares to hit him? Mike Wallace, who seems to have the same afterburner as an FA/18 jet? Rashard Mendenhall, who can run through, over or around would-be tacklers, seemingly at will? James Harrison, who hits runners and receivers like a turbo-powered road grader? Troy Palomalu, who can change a game quicker than a politician can pocket a bribe?

The easy answer is "all of the above." But we're not about easy here at Starting Blocks. So, Cleveland fans: Which Steeler has you most worried this weekend?

Oh, and just to go full circle here, did you know that ol' Sun Tzu was a football genius? One of his more famous quotes from "The Art of War" is this: "Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack." In other words, defense wins games. We know defensive coordinator Rob Ryan is aware of that. Now, let's hope coach Eric Mangini and offensive coordinator Brian Daboll realize that attack, attack, attack is the way to go. Especially if it's fourth-and-goal at the one, OK?

Safety Troy Polamalu 53.2% (857 votes)

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger 19.74% (318 votes)

Linebacker James Harrison 14.03% (226 votes)

Running back Rashard Mendenhall 1.8% (29 votes)

Receiver Hines Ward 3.79% (61 votes)

Receiver Mike Wallace 5.4% (87 votes)

Other: 2.05% (33 votes)

Total Votes: 1,611

http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/index.ssf/2010/12/cleveland_browns_fans_which_cu.html

Irongut
01-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Your first mistake was thinking. Your second mistake and one you continue to make was typing those thoughts.

Crash
01-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Your first mistake was thinking. Your second mistake and one you continue to make was typing those thoughts.

Whatever junkie boy. How's Philip Rivers doing? Still think he's better than Ben?

Irongut
01-02-2011, 05:55 PM

Whatever junkie boy. How's Philip Rivers doing? Still think he's better than Ben?

Junkie boy? :rofl:

Let's try and stay on topic. Focus, focus! You can do it. Just focus, focus!

eniparadoxgma
01-02-2011, 05:56 PM

Watching you two continue the same arguments over the course of several years has devolved from bad comedy to being just plain pathetic. Why don't you two just make a website of your own that you can flame each other on for all eternity? Or just get a room together? Whichever.

Just my two cents. :)

Irongut
01-02-2011, 06:04 PM

Watching you two continue the same arguments over the course of several years has devolved from bad comedy to being just plain pathetic. Why don't you two just make a website of your own that you can flame each other on for all eternity? Or just get a room together? Whichever.

I'm just debating the topics. The problem it seems is that Crash is not mentally equipped to debate. He already has his own site and about 5 people post there. Yes, he's that popular. :Cheers

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-02-2011, 06:07 PM

Did irongut used to post under a different name? Don't remember that one ...

eniparadoxgma
01-02-2011, 06:07 PM

Did irongut used to post under a different name? Don't remember that one ...

Steeler420/Steeler43

Djfan
01-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Troy looked horrible today, huh?

Whatever. Love these guys who write as experts.

hawaiiansteel
01-03-2011, 02:53 AM
Polamalu's return makes defense whole

Monday, January 03, 2011
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

CLEVELAND -- You have to give Steelers linebacker James Farrior credit. He keeps coming up with new ways to describe safety Troy Polamalu and what he means to the defense. One week, he called him "the most instinctive player I've seen at any position." Another week, he praised his football I.Q.: "He studies so hard and prepares so well that he knows what the other team is going to run." Finally, in what seemed like the topper a few weeks ago after Polamalu returned an interception 45 yards for a touchdown against the Cincinnati Bengals, he gushed, "He's the best player I've ever been around, bar none."

But Farrior was there again Sunday, ready for the Polamalu question after Polamalu made one of the two big plays that led to a satisfying and playoff seeding-pleasing 41-9 win against the woeful Cleveland Browns. He didn't disappoint.

"Having him back there changes our whole attitude as a defense," Farrior said. "He keeps doing what he's doing and it gives us a different type of confidence. I don't know what it is. With him back there, there's just this feeling that everything's going to be all right."

So it was for the Steelers in a game that wrapped up their AFC North Division title and the No. 2 seed in the AFC playoffs.

Polamalu said he was told by coach Mike Tomlin Saturday that he would play. He had aggravated a lower leg injury on that second-quarter interception return against the Bengals and, though finishing that game, missed the next two against the New York Jets and Carolina Panthers. There was speculation Tomlin would keep him out against the Browns to make sure he was ready for the playoffs, but Tomlin said it was an easy call to play him after he was cleared by doctors.

"Early in the week, I didn't think he'd make it," Farrior said. "But I talked to him later on and he said there was no way he was missing this game."

Polamalu came through it just fine, calling it a day at halftime when the Steelers led, 31-3. "I felt really good today ... a lot better than I thought I would." But even if Polamalu had hurt his leg again, it would have been the right decision to play him. You can't take anything for granted when a first-round playoff bye and a second-round home game are at stake.

It didn't take Polamalu long to make an impact. On the Browns' second play, he made a diving interception at the Steelers' 44 after the ball bounced off tight end Benjamin Watson's hands. Tomlin and Polamalu made it sound so easy, almost lucky, both saying that Polamalu was "in the right place at the right time." But it's not luck when the big plays keep happening.

"He never misses his opportunities," Steelers nose tackle Casey Hampton said. "You'll see other guys drop an interception. He ain't dropping it."

Do you think the interception inspired the Steelers?

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger threw a 56-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Mike Wallace on the next play and the rout was on.

The interception was Polamalu's seventh this season, matching his career high set in 2008, when, coincidentally, the Steelers blew out the Browns in their final regular-season game to take the division title and the No. 2 seed for the playoffs. They went on to win Super Bowl XLIII.

I'm just tellin' ya.

"Like coach Tomlin said, this [division championship] is just a piece of hardware you pick up along the way to where you want to go," Polamalu said.

That would be to Super Bowl XLV Feb. 7 in Dallas.

"Now," Polamalu said, "the tournament starts."

If there were any doubts that Polamalu would be ready even after his interception, he put an end to them by nearly making a spectacular athletic play on the first play of the second quarter. Remember how he timed the snap perfectly and leaped over Tennessee guard Leroy Harris to tackle quarterback Kerry Collins for a 1-yard loss on a sneak way back in September? He almost did the same thing to Browns quarterback Colt McCoy, jumping over the left guard-center gap to get "a piece of his shoulder pad" as McCoy scurried away to safety.

"A lot of things go into a play like that," Polamalu said. "Part of it is guessing. Part of it is film study. Part of it is trying to get in coach [Dick] LeBeau's head to try to figure out what he's thinking with his defensive call ...

"But most of the time, it's just guessing."

You should have seen Polamalu grin.

It seemed like everyone in the Steelers' locker room was grinning.

The great Polamalu had made it through the afternoon healthy and will be ready to go in that first playoff game.

Now, all of Steelers Nation is grinning.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11003/1115232-87.stm#ixzz19x7agytg