PDA

View Full Version : A Real Offense

NorthCoast
12-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Was watching the Packers-Giants game closely to see the formations and plays the Pack used in the red zone against the Giants. On almost all of their red zone scores, they used play action with 1 or 2 backs and PASSED out of those formations. Seems to me the Steelers do very little of this. Is it a case where the blocking is just to poor to execute correctly? It's just frustrating, the Steelers could do so much more with the players they have.

Djfan
12-27-2010, 12:10 PM
Was watching the Packers-Giants game closely to see the formations and plays the Pack used in the red zone against the Giants. On almost all of their red zone scores, they used play action with 1 or 2 backs and PASSED out of those formations. Seems to me the Steelers do very little of this. Is it a case where the blocking is just to poor to execute correctly? It's just frustrating, the Steelers could do so much more with the players they have.

And that player you saw yesterday who was let go by the Steelers.

I am trying to not turn this into a BA sucks response. Not doing so well though.

feltdizz
12-27-2010, 01:40 PM
vs the Giants? Not impressed. LOL

feltdizz
12-27-2010, 01:44 PM

And that player you saw yesterday who was let go by the Steelers.

I am trying to not turn this into a BA sucks response. Not doing so well though.

The Pack have won a ton of playoff games and SB's lately :roll:

BURGH86STEEL
12-27-2010, 02:32 PM

Wouldn't using almost all play action in the red zone be predictable to some fans? Just sayin.

I don't get caught up into predictability. I believe every team functions with some level of predictability. I believe there are staple plays in every offense. It's really the nature of the game. I believe that because teams can only practice a certain number of plays and execute those plays well.

I do know Steelers pass off of play action. They also attempt to set up plays based off of passes or runs. I'll give an example, there were times they would come out in series and run the ball 2 or 3 times. Then they attempted to pass off of play action.

I believe they changed some things up vs the Jets. They ran more out of the shot gun formation more then I ever remember. The probably did that because some of the things the Jets did defensively and because of the Steelers tendency to pass a majority of time out of the formation. They had some success running the ball out of shot gun. Even though fans can't recognize short term or long term plans, they do have plans and change things up.

pittpete
12-27-2010, 03:30 PM
Why change anything we do in the redzone?
You mean the 5 wideout sets arent cutting it for you? :wink:

BURGH86STEEL
12-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Why change anything we do in the redzone?
You mean the 5 wideout sets arent cutting it for you? :wink:

IMO, the biggest issue in the red zone was/is execution.

MaxAMillion
12-27-2010, 04:47 PM
How did that offense look against Detroit when Rogers went out? I would love to see them call plays behind the Steelers OL. The Steelers are starting a LT that the Bills did not even want.

Crash
12-27-2010, 04:52 PM
We run too much on first down in the red zone. Thats the biggest weakness we have. When we don't gain much on first down? Its 2nd and pass.

Crash
12-27-2010, 05:08 PM
We are <> close. But a basic change in philosophy is needed.

1. Three wide base offense.

2. Field Turf.

Those two adjustments are what we need.

Irongut
12-27-2010, 05:21 PM
The Packers have something we don't, Aaron Rodgers.

Crash
12-27-2010, 05:25 PM

If you hate Ben for taking sacks and holding the ball too long, you have to hate Rodgers he does the same thing.

Irongut
12-27-2010, 05:27 PM

If you hate Ben for taking sacks and holding the ball too long, you have to hate Rodgers he does the same thing.

1. I don't hate Ben.
2. I didn't reference Ben.

Crash
12-27-2010, 05:30 PM

1. I don't hate Ben.
2. I didn't reference Ben.

You bashed Ben when you mentioned Rodgers.

Haven't you had enough today? You love Rivers over Ben, he's sitting at home. You wanted Singletary over Tomlin, and he was fired.

Irongut
12-27-2010, 05:35 PM
You bashed Ben when you mentioned Rodgers.
Only someone with severe insecurity issues would think that was the case.

Haven't you had enough today? You love Rivers over Ben, he's sitting at home. You wanted Singletary over Tomlin, and he was fired.
I love Rivers now? For saying he and Ben should have some great matchups?

Singletary didn't have the system in place for success like training wheels has.

Singletary was my choice when it was clear we were considering hiring minority only.

RuthlessBurgher
12-27-2010, 05:35 PM
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/2/20/128796462900206716.jpg

Crash
12-27-2010, 05:37 PM
Shut your mouth. You've been blowing Rivers as being "better" than Ben for years and were quick to gloat when Rivers won THE FIRST matchup between the two.

Rivers has proven to be the overrated hack many believed him to be.

Wake me up when he wins his conference once, much less two rings.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....................

Irongut
12-27-2010, 05:40 PM
Shut your mouth. You've been blowing Rivers as being "better" than Ben for years and were quick to gloat when Rivers won THE FIRST matchup between the two.

Rivers has proven to be the overrated hack many believed him to be.

Wake me up when he wins his conference once, much less two rings.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....................
My, how miserable and pathetic one can be. What's the matter? Santa not stop and visit you?

Scarletfire1970
12-27-2010, 05:43 PM

That is not bashing Ben at all. No, not at all.

Irongut
12-27-2010, 05:46 PM

That is not bashing Ben at all. No, not at all.

Reads like a simple fact. If you care to research the Steelers roster and show me where Aaron Rodgers name is listed, I'd be glad to correct the post.

Crash
12-27-2010, 05:50 PM
Okay 43. You get to choose one:

Ben

or

Rodgers

Who do you want QB-ing the Steelers next week?

Irongut
12-27-2010, 05:51 PM

Ben

or

Rodgers

Keep your games for evenings with the girls drinking tea. I'm not interested.

Crash
12-27-2010, 05:52 PM

Ben

or

Rodgers

Sure you are. You badmouth me and this site and here you are.

What's wrong? Felon boy kick you to the curb?

Irongut
12-27-2010, 05:54 PM

Ben

or

Rodgers

Sure you are. You badmouth me and this site and here you are.

What's wrong? Felon boy kick you to the curb?
Why I am here is not the topic of discussion.

ikestops85
12-27-2010, 06:26 PM
This thread

http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/0823/swfighting.jpg

Shawn
12-27-2010, 07:37 PM
There is little doubt that we need fresh blood at OC. I believe that to be a given. But, I don't believe any OC will look good as long as we have this OL. It starts there. We have the QB. We have some talented young WRs, and we have a guy who in my opinion is an elite RB. We have poor play calling and a crap OL.

skyhawk
12-29-2010, 10:07 PM
This thread

http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/0823/swfighting.jpg

:Cheers