PDA

View Full Version : New Kicker?

NorthCoast
12-26-2010, 10:59 AM
What do people think about going after a new kicker in the next draft? Capinos? seems to be OK in the FG department, but those kickoffs are just too short for my liking. Puts us behind before the D even hits the field. Maybe a late pick (6 or 7)?

Sugar
12-26-2010, 11:02 AM
Let's just see how Sushi does the rest of the year.

jj28west
12-26-2010, 11:09 AM
What do people think about going after a new kicker in the next draft? Capinos? seems to be OK in the FG department, but those kickoffs are just too short for my liking. Puts us behind before the D even hits the field. Maybe a late pick (6 or 7)?

I dont know if there is a stat for this but it seems that the ball is being caught at the 14 yard line but at least there is a little more hang time then Reed so the coverage seems to be there quicker. I was thinking the same about this but I am a little gun shy to point this out so I am not labeled as one of those Steeler fans that are never satisfied :) .

Discipline of Steel
12-26-2010, 11:37 AM

I dont know if there is a stat for this but it seems that the ball is being caught at the 14 yard line but at least there is a little more hang time then Reed so the coverage seems to be there quicker. I was thinking the same about this but I am a little gun shy to point this out so I am not labeled as one of those Steeler fans that are never satisfied :) .

Net punting avg is the total punt yards minus the total return. Im sure there is a net kickoff average. That would be the stat to look at for overall kickoff quality. That and % touchbacks (<0 lol)

steelfin
12-26-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm with you NC....His leg doesn't seem to be that strong...his kick offs are short.

He has been great on FGs...hopefully he keeps it up through the post season.

RuthlessBurgher
12-26-2010, 03:23 PM
I've been pleasantly surprised with Sushi's FG accuracy so far, but kickoff distance still leaves a lot to be desired. In several of the draft threads that have been floating around so far, the names of UCLA's Kai Forbath and Nebraska's Alex Henery have been mentioned as possibilities in, say, the 5th or 6th rounds.

Steelgal
12-26-2010, 03:38 PM
I've been pleasantly surprised with Sushi's FG accuracy so far, but kickoff distance still leaves a lot to be desired. In several of the draft threads that have been floating around so far, the names of UCLA's Kai Forbath and Nebraska's Alex Henery have been mentioned as possibilities in, say, the 5th or 6th rounds.

I think we should trade up and take him in the fourth :stirpot

rpmpit
12-26-2010, 10:26 PM
Just glad he missed one in the Panther's game. Get that out of the way before the playoffs start!

fordfixer
12-27-2010, 01:12 AM
Suisham getting his kicks with Pittsburgh
By Kevin Gorman, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, December 27, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 15503.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_715503.html)

Shaun Suisham shares similarities with Jeff Reed, from a fast start in their first six games as the Steelers' kicker to a passion for the Penguins.

If Suisham has learned anything from his predecessor, it's to not complain about the conditions at Heinz Field.

"It's what you would expect, kicking in December outdoors on a natural surface," Suisham said. "There's certainly wind out there. It's just part of kicking here in Pittsburgh."

So far it's been mostly all good.

Other than a 41-yard attempt that sailed wide right against Carolina on Thursday, Suisham has made a seamless transition from free agent to replacement for one of the most reliable kickers in club history.

"He's been on the money," running back Rashard Mendenhall said. "Whatever the situation, we feel good about him going out there."

Suisham has played a starring role twice for the Steelers. He converted four field goals of 41 yards or longer, including the game-winner on a 48-yarder, to beat Buffalo, 19-16, in overtime. And he made two field goals and served as emergency punter in a 13-10 victory at Baltimore.

"That's my job," Suisham said. "I'm doing everything I can to perform on the field."

Suisham didn't anticipate punting in such a pivotal AFC North game against Baltimore. But after Daniel Sepulveda suffered a torn ACL, Suisham twice pinned the Ravens inside their own 5-yard line only to have the punts called back by penalties.

"That's something that you never want to happen because that means something happened to your punter," he said. "Unfortunately for Dan, he had a serious knee injury. In that situation, you fill in and you just need to be serviceable."

Suisham has been serviceable and then some, although his career has prepared him to be ready for anything. It's not the first time he filled in as punter, nor was it the first time he has adjusted to a new holder in midseason. He did both in Washington.

"I've had a lot of holders since I've been in the NFL," said Suisham, a five-year veteran. "That's part of it. It's my job to make the field goals."

So far he's 12 of 13 — better than Reed's start with the Steelers in 2002, when he was 17 of 19.

"He's got to do better because with what Jeff's done, you don't expect any less," nose tackle Casey Hampton said.

Suisham knows something about converting, considering he was a Washington Capitals fan until the Penguins recently invited the Wallaceburg, Ontario, native — who played Junior C hockey — to tour Consol Energy Center and presented him with a Sidney Crosby sweater.

Suisham also met Crosby, Canada's Olympic hero, and a fellow Bowling Green alumnus in Penguins coach Dan Bylsma.

"He's a great player, one of the best in the world, so to be able to talk with him was neat," Suisham said of Crosby.

Suisham won't be watching the Penguins play the Capitals in the Winter Classic because the Steelers will be traveling to Cleveland for their season finale. And even though Suisham loves to play pickup hockey in the offseason, he won't be lacing up for a skate at Heinz Field.

Not with the playoffs approaching.

"This time of the year is a business time," Suisham said. "My focus and my purpose is to kick field goals here, not to chase a dream as a hockey player."

So far it's been mostly all good.

Oviedo
12-27-2010, 06:54 AM

If you think you are egtting Forbath or Henery in the 5th or 6th round then plan on watching Suisham kick next season. Both will likely be gone by the 4th round and Forbath maybe as early as the 3rd.

Oviedo
12-27-2010, 06:56 AM

I think we should trade up and take him in the fourth :stirpot

Or we could continue to undervalue the position that will likely lead the team in points scored and sit and wait until we get a undrafted free agent and then continue to have this same discussion for years to come.

grotonsteel
12-27-2010, 10:55 AM
Sushi is doing ok but his Kick offs are not great...

Steelers definately need a punter though. Kapinos is not that good especially after looking at that JETS punter. He is unbelievable. Amazing punts against Steelers and Bears.I think Sep is done due to injuries.....Really sad

My choice for kicker will be Alex Henery from NEB. He is used to cold weather kicking.

Did anyone see Jeff Reed miss a 37 yarder against Rams?? Is he going to blame the field for that??

Also did you see missed tackle from Jeff Reed on Kick Return?? Old habits die hard. :twisted:

grotonsteel
12-27-2010, 11:02 AM

If you think you are egtting Forbath or Henery in the 5th or 6th round then plan on watching Suisham kick next season. Both will likely be gone by the 4th round and Forbath maybe as early as the 3rd.

Unforunately yes. Both kickers will be gone by 4th Rd. I would not mind Steelers drafting a kicker in 4th as long as he is accurate and his kick offs are in end-zone more often than not.

RuthlessBurgher
12-27-2010, 11:14 AM

NFLDraftScout has Kai Forbath listed as a 6th or 7th round prospect, and Walterfootball has him listed anywhere from 5th round to a free agent.

NFLDraftScout has Alex Henery listed as a 5th or 6th round prospect, and Walterfootball has him listed anywhere from 6th round to a free agent.

RuthlessBurgher
12-27-2010, 11:27 AM
In recent years, other than a few outliers like Janikowski in the first or Nugent in the second, it is more likely that the top kicker gets drafted in the 5th or 6h round. I highly doubt that the top 2 kickers will be gone by the 4th round.

Rd Sel # Player School Team
No kicker drafted
5 172 David Buehler USC Dallas Cowboys
7 256 Ryan Succop South Carolina Kansas City Chiefs
6 178 Taylor Mehlhaff Wisconsin New Orleans Saints
7 235 Brandon Coutu Georgia Seattle Seahawks
5 160 Justin Medlock UCLA Kansas City Chiefs
6 178 Nick Folk Arizona Dallas Cowboys
6 193 Mason Crosby Colorado Green Bay Packers
4 118 Stephen Gostkowski Memphis New England Patriots
6 188 Kurt Smith Virginia San Diego Chargers
2 47 Mike Nugent Ohio State New York Jets
6 202 Dave Rayner Michigan State Indianapolis Colts
7 239 Paul Ernster Northern Arizona Denver Broncos
3 65 Nate Kaeding Iowa San Diego Chargers
5 137 Josh Scobee Louisiana Tech Jacksonville Jaguars
7 229 David Kimball Penn State Indianapolis Colts
7 222 Josh Brown Nebraska Seattle Seahawks
4 102 Jeff Chandler Florida San Francisco 49ers
4 109 Travis Dorsch Purdue Cincinnati Bengals
7 247 Hayden Epstein Michigan Jacksonville Jaguars
4 98 Bill Gramatica South Florida Arizona Cardinals
7 216 Owen Pochman Brigham Young New England Patriots
1 17 Sebastian Janikowski Florida State Oakland Raiders
6 169 Neil Rackers Illinois Cincinnati Bengals
6 174 Paul Edinger Michigan State Chicago Bears
3 80 Martin Gramatica Kansas State Tampa Bay Buccaneers
6 181 Jeff Hall Tennessee Washington Redskins
7 228 Kris Brown Nebraska Pittsburgh Steelers
3 90 Brett Conway Penn State Green Bay Packers
3 82 Steve McLaughlin Arizona St. Louis Rams
7 247 Cole Ford USC Pittsburgh Steelers
3 85 Doug Brien California San Francisco 49ers
3 70 Jason Elam Hawaii Denver Broncos
5 113 Scott Sisson Georgia Tech New England Patriots
7 177 Todd Peterson Georgia New York Giants
8 202 Doug Pelfrey Kentucky Cincinnati Bengals
2 56 Jason Hanson Washington State Detroit Lions
12 315 Carlos Huerta Miami (Fla.) San Diego Chargers
12 332 Joe Wood Air Force Houston Oilers
4 98 John Kasay Georgia Seattle Seahawks
12 329 Matt Stover Louisiana Tech New York Giants
6 142 Chris Jacke Texas-El Paso Green Bay Packers
8 203 Pete Stoyanovich Indiana Miami Dolphins
9 234 Kendall Trainor Arkansas Phoenix Cardinals
2 55 Chip Lohmiller Minnesota Washington Redskins
4 100 Teddy Garcia Louisiana-Monroe New England Patriots
3 82 Jeff Jaeger Washington Cleveland Browns
7 189 Steve DeLine Colorado State San Francisco 49ers
9 246 Greg Davis The Citadel Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2 32 John Lee UCLA St. Louis Cardinals
4 100 Max Zendejas Arizona Dallas Cowboys
4 105 Kevin Butler Georgia Chicago Bears
7 195 Fuad Reveiz Tennessee Miami Dolphins
10 260 Donald Igwebuike Clemson Tampa Bay Buccaneers
12 333 Paul Woodside West Virginia Buffalo Bills
10 254 Jim Gallery Minnesota Tampa Bay Buccaneers
12 312 Paul McFadden Youngstown State Philadelphia Eagles
USFL Sup Draft Tony Zendejas Nevada-Reno Washington Redskins
4 87 Chuck Nelson Washington Los Angeles Rams
9 237 Ali Haji-Sheikh Michigan New York Giants
4 86 Morten Andersen Michigan State New Orleans Saints
7 171 Gary Anderson Syracuse Buffalo Bills
10 253 Brian Clark Florida New England Patriots
10 264 Eddie Garcia Southern Methodist Green Bay Packers
11 281 Danny Miller Miami (Fla.) Washington Redskins
6 146 Rex Robinson Georgia Cincinnati Bengals
7 178 Obed Ariri Clemson Baltimore Colts
12 324 Bill Capece Florida State Houston Oilers
7 166 Eddie Murray Tulane Detroit Lions
10 252 Sandro Vitiello Massachusetts Cincinnati Bengals
12 312 Mike Lansford Washington New York Giants
3 74 Tony Franklin Texas A&M Philadelphia Eagles
6 165 Matt Bahr Penn State Pittsburgh Steelers
7 189 Uwe von Schamann Oklahoma Miami Dolphins
12 325 Dave Jacobs Syracuse Denver Broncos
3 78 Frank Corral UCLA Los Angeles Rams
8 204 Mike Wood Southeast Missouri State Minnesota Vikings
8 206 Jim Breech California Detroit Lions
10 276 Tom Jurich Northern Arizona Pittsburgh Steelers
4 89 Allan Leavitt Georgia Atlanta Falcons
5 127 Neil O’Donoghue Auburn Buffalo Bills
9 239 David Posey Florida San Francisco 49ers
10 258 Rafael Septien Louisiana-Lafayette New Orleans Saints
11 302 Carson Long Pittsburgh Los Angeles Rams
12 316 Ove Johansson Abilene Christian Houston Oilers
12 334 Rolf Benirschke California-Davis Oakland Raiders
2 51 Chris Bahr Penn State Cincinnati Bengals
3 92 Don Bitterlich Temple Seattle Seahawks
5 146 Fred Steinfort Boston College Oakland Raiders
3 72 Steve Mike-Mayer Maryland San Francisco 49ers
10 246 Alan Pringle Rice Houston Oilers
10 257 Joe Danelo Washington State Miami Dolphins
7 169 Efren Herrera UCLA Detroit Lions
8 189 Sergio Albert U.S. International (CA) St. Louis Cardinals
15 388 Bob Thomas Notre Dame Los Angeles Rams
10 248 Nick Mike-Mayer Temple Atlanta Falcons
2 34 Chester Marcol Hillsdale Green Bay Packers
3 61 Bill McClard Arkansas San Diego Chargers
5 122 George Hunt Tennessee Cleveland Browns
4 83 Happy Feller Texas Philadelphia Eagles
4 96 Skip Butler Texas-Arlington Green Bay Packers
6 135 Grant Guthrie Florida State Buffalo Bills
14 346 Mark Moseley Stephen F. Austin St. Philadelphia Eagles
17 428 Bill Bell Kansas Atlanta Falcons

ikestops85
12-27-2010, 11:29 AM
So far Sushi has held it together but the chinks in the armor are starting to show through. His kickoffs were never deep ... even worse than Reed's. His FG kicking is just okay except in pressure situations where it is downright horrible.

I'm hoping the change of organizations will help him but living in the DC area let me see a kicker I never wanted to see in black and gold. I've been wrong many times before and I'm hoping this is another time. :)