PDA

View Full Version : Are we unreasonably critical?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-26-2010, 10:33 AM
Recent post here by someone: "I'm astonished to look around and see we're the #2 seed. No way I was thinking we were playing nearly that well this season".

That got me thinking ... are we too critical, or even (gasp) unappreciative of the Steelers? I have friends from other teams that can't understand how I'm not bouncing off the ceiling that the Steelers are in the playoffs. And they don't understand how after a win I might be saying something like, "Yeah, but our offensive line is barely holding together", or "Yeah, but those penalties are going to kill us one day". They just don't understand how I might feel that way!

Thinking of all of the Detroits, and SFs, and Texans of the world ... I resolve just to be happy that we have a good football team, and are in the playoffs!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

Ozey74
12-26-2010, 10:38 AM
Yes. It's human nature. People tend to be over critical about things they love.

Oviedo
12-26-2010, 10:43 AM
Ya think.......duh!!!!!

I'll buy a little bit of the critical of what you love but there is also no small amount of desperately (for some) wanting to prove yourself "smarter than the other guy" in a public forum.

Then for some of us this is an opportunity at public service educating the ill informed masses :wink:

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-26-2010, 10:46 AM
Ya think.......duh!!!!!

I'll buy a little bit of the critical of what you love but there is also no small amount of desperately (for some) wanting to prove yourself "smarter than the other guy" in a public forum.

Then for some of us this is an opportunity at public service educating the ill informed masses :wink:

Hmm, hah, that may be true, but I think the vast majority of it is heartfelt. Maybe I'm just a sucker, though!

Sugar
12-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Years ago, I had to go to a national sales meeting that actually started Superbowl Sunday. In order to try and pacify the livid football fans, they had a massive party with theater sized screens on each wall of a ballroom. The food was amazing and no expense was spared. Those of us who were Steelers fans weren't hard to find in the room as it was the game against the Seahawks.

After the game, I was talking to one of my fellow Steeler fans about the game. We had just won the Super Bowl, but all he could do was complain. He complained about Ben, he complained about the Defense, he complained about the running game, etc.

Sometimes people are just critical in themselves. While it's good to always strive to be better, there is a real difference between that and a critical spirit that always seeks to wallow in what could have been better. All I know is, I'd hate to be their kids and I'm glad that I don't have to associate with them when I don't want to.

jj28west
12-26-2010, 11:19 AM
I see both sides of this arguement. Maybe there should be a positive post side and a negative post side. :)

I admit I am spoiled by a professional organization that consistently puts out a competitive product every year for my entertainment. I think the beauty of a board like this is that there are many of us that are never satisfied and always looking for that one complete perfect game. I happen to be one of these people but I am just as happy to even see how Sanders elevated his game against the Jets.

I think there is a good balance of Steeler fans that are not all doom and gloom after a loss but there is alot of emotion and competiveness in us that may get the best of us.

One thing that I see rarely here which is nice is that there are only a few posters here that make weak statements that so-n-so sucks without backing it up with a basis of making the point. That always just kills me.

Crash
12-26-2010, 11:36 AM
Yep. People are idiots. They know two things: Blame BA and defend the defense.

steelfin
12-26-2010, 01:01 PM
You forgot to include something about Hines Ward in your post....

Snatch98
12-26-2010, 01:36 PM
If that's the way the post was made the person in question hasn't watched much Steeler football or at least stayed close to the pulse of the team. Who that bleeds black and gold DIDN'T know we were playing for the 2 seed weeks ago? I also think the fan base is a little critical but that's what happens when you expect excellence each and every year. Good problem to have, we could be the Bengals lol.

StarSpangledSteeler
12-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Very interesting thread S.A.

I've often wondered what it would take to make the "nega-trons" stop being critical?

A 19-0 season?
Two straight Super Bowl wins?
10 pro-bowlers on our roster?

I believe the answer is "nothing". There is nothing that can happen to make them happy and positive. It's just the way they are wired.

I have found that I personally enjoy watching Steelers games much more when I look for the positive.

hawaiiansteel
12-26-2010, 02:25 PM
I don't think Steelers fans (especially the posters here :D ) are overly critical.

if BA would just call a perfect game and the defense would allow no completions or first downs then there would be no problems with us fans and we would have nothing to complain about...

and all of us posters here at PS could just come to this board to see how each others days are going and how our families are... :shock:

Djfan
12-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Is it unreasonable to want a professional to act like one? That is my only complaint. And, it won't go away until it happens.

Sorry if that's not what some of you want, but BA sucks beyond suck and I won't shut up until he gets it or leaves. Still, if you all were paying attention I have on a few (far too few) occasions been able to praise his calls and such. I will praise him when he earns it and call him out when he sucks.

As for the rest of it, I hear a lot of praise for many things around here. If someone earns a "that sucked" in the play of a game, so be it.

RuthlessBurgher
12-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Yep. People are idiots. They know two things: Blame Ward and defend Ben.

Fixed that for you.

feltdizz
12-26-2010, 04:12 PM
The funny thing about critical fans is most of them said the Steelers wouldn't even make the playoffs before the season started.

I've noticed a few "perfectionist" can't even post anything positive regardless of the score of the game.

We scored 27 points last game but it should have been 50... almost makes you wonder why they are watch the game since it makes them so miserable.

feltdizz
12-26-2010, 04:16 PM
Is it unreasonable to want a professional to act like one? That is my only complaint. And, it won't go away until it happens.

Sorry if that's not what some of you want, but BA sucks beyond suck and I won't shut up until he gets it or leaves.

We know!!! :wink:

Every 12 hours we must be reminded by someone on the board that BA sucks or the world will end. :roll:

LordVile
12-26-2010, 04:22 PM
The funny thing about critical fans is most of them said the Steelers wouldn't even make the playoffs before the season started.

I've noticed a few "perfectionist" can't even post anything positive regardless of the score of the game.

We scored 27 points last game but it should have been 50... almost makes you wonder why they are watch the game since it makes them so miserable.

yeah, some ppl are so negative I TOO wonder why they watch. I try to give praise and be critical when need be. But for the most part, I try to be around things that make me happy. STEELER football

feltdizz
12-26-2010, 04:33 PM

yeah, some ppl are so negative I TOO wonder why they watch. I try to give praise and be critical when need be. But for the most part, I try to be around things that make me happy. STEELER football

:Agree

Nothing wrong with pointing out mistakes but I had to tell a friend of mine a few weeks ago that he was being unrealistic. We won't score on every play, complete every pass, make every tackle.

My nephew and I were joking about how unrealistic we are and how mad we get when an opposing RB gets past the line of scrimmage.

Djfan
12-26-2010, 04:52 PM

Sorry if that's not what some of you want, but BA sucks beyond suck and I won't shut up until he gets it or leaves.

We know!!! :wink:

Every 12 hours we must be reminded by someone on the board that BA sucks or the world will end. :roll:

You keep forgetting!

BURGH86STEEL
12-26-2010, 09:02 PM
Some fans are unreasonably critical. It's a good thing the owners and coaches understand that mistakes happen.

Wolfhound45
12-26-2010, 09:53 PM
Yes we are. Why? Because this is one of the few (very few) franchises in the NFL that is TRULY committed to winning. Bottom line, for some teams this is just a revenue making system (you know who you are). Period. Do not kid yourself if you think anything different.

As a Steelers fan, you expect excellence. Unfortunately, that means (at times) very unrealistic expectations about what this team can do.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-26-2010, 10:19 PM
Are we unreasonably critical?
What kind of stupid question is that?

And did anyone in this thread mention that BA sucks?

Eich
12-26-2010, 11:09 PM
Yep. People are idiots. They know two things: Blame BA and defend the defense.

Just like YOU but you know 3 things: Blame the D, $hit on Hines and defend Ben.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-26-2010, 11:19 PM
We are overly critical because we have the good fortune of being fans of a team who have set the bar very high. There aren't many teams whose expectations every year are to win the SB. Think about it, year in, year out, we don't just hope for the best, we expect it.

New England
Pittsburgh
Indianapolis
NY Giants

These are the only four teams that have entered almost every year this decade with the expectation of going to the SB.

Those other teams you mentioned have fans that would be thrilled just to make the playoffs because that is where their bar is set.

If you are a fan of KC or St. Louis then you are happy to be finding new ground. Even after missing the playoffs last year, this is not as high as we can get yet.

fordfixer
12-27-2010, 12:53 AM
Are we unreasonably critical?
What kind of stupid question is that?

And did anyone in this thread mention that BA sucks?

Not in the last 12 hours :lol:

JAR
12-27-2010, 08:58 AM
Yes... and it's the reason fans of other teams hate Steelers fans.

Like spoiled kids....Wah! Wah!... mommy, I want more. :)

SidSmythe
12-27-2010, 09:08 AM
Part of me is thankful I'm a Steeler fan ...but we are also a fanbase want a championship and when you have holes, it makes you nervous