8) Hines Ward
7) Troy Polamalu
6) Mel Blount
5) Jack Lambert
4) Rod Woodson
3) Franco Harris
2) Terry Bradshaw
1) Joe Greene

Mark Madden is such a putz. Can't stand him even worse after this show.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-24-2010, 10:24 PM
5 offense, 5 defense.

Only one linebacker in the group.

Something just seems wrong about that.

BURGH86STEEL
12-24-2010, 10:36 PM
So difficult to have a list of top ten Steelers. So many players contributed to the franchises stability and greatness over the years. Would probably need to be list of 30+ players.

Dee Dub
12-24-2010, 11:08 PM
10) Jerome Bettis
9) Lynn Swann
8) Hines Ward
7) Troy Polamalu
6) Mel Blount
5) Jack Lambert
4) Rod Woodson
3) Franco Harris
2) Terry Bradshaw
1) Joe Greene

I do not agree with this list. I love my Steelers, I love every player on this list, and have been a die-hard fan since 1972, but this list is so wrong.

No disrespect to Jerome Bettis but he does not belong on this list. Not in the top 10. He had a hall of fame career, however, he only really had 3 "great" years for the Steelers. 1996, 1997, and 2000. His last four years with the Steelers he was either injured, a back up, or irrelevent. He truly is one of the top favorite Steelers of all-time but should not be in a top ten list based on performance. There are others more deserving.

Troy Polamalu when it is all said and done and his career is over is probably deserving of being on this list. But...as of right now..I dont think he should be on this list either.
And if he contiunes this pace of being injured almost every year...he may not even make it then.

I love Rod Woodson and no doubt in my mind he is the best all-around corner the game has ever seen, but at number 4, I think that is too high for this franchise. Mel Blount goes ahead of him for one big reason---4 Super Bowls to none.

And here is what I always think when it comes to Hines Ward, John Stallworth, and Lynn Swann....change eras and you can bet Swann and Stallworth would put up the big numbers that Hines put's up in his era, but put Hines in the era of the 70's where they didnt throw the ball as much and I dont think Hines has the hall of fame career he has today.

Here is what I think are the top 10 greatest Steelers of all-time.

10-John Stallworth
9--Lynn Swann
8--Rod Woodson
7--Jack Ham
6--Mel Blount
5--Franco Harris
4--Ben Roethlisberger--playing the most difficult position in the NFL has to have him in top 5.
3--Jack Lambert
2--Terry Bradshaw
1--Joe Greene

CanadianSteel
12-24-2010, 11:15 PM
No Jack Ham or Mel Blount? :wft

Love Ben but he don't make the list......Yet

Dee Dub
12-24-2010, 11:28 PM
No Jack Ham or Mel Blount? :wft

Love Ben but he don't make the list......Yet

What list are you looking at? I have both Ham and Blount in my list.

There are only a handful of QB's in the history of the NFL with two Super Bowl rings and you dont think Ben belongs? Playing the most demanding and most difficult position in the NFL and he doesnt belong? And he's on pace to shatter every record the postion has seen for the Steelers and he doesnt belong?

Without Ben...the Steelers are still at 4 Super Bowl Championships. With Ben the Steelers are the elite organization in the NFL. That too me warrants being in the top 5.

papillon
12-24-2010, 11:33 PM
A top ten Steeler list without Jack Ham is created simply to stir Steeler Nation. Ham is considered by almost anybody that is anybody in the NFL as a top 5 linebacker of all time, not just in Steeler history. This omission renders the list null and void. Not including Webster or Dawson the two centers in the debate for GOAT at the center position and not one of them makes the list is ludicrous.

Ward, Polamalu and Bettis don't belong on the list. It's a joke or an effort to stir the Nation.

Madden and Atkinson didn't belong in the documentary they're both @ssholes in the first degree.

Pappy

Shoe
12-24-2010, 11:39 PM
Woodson is really overrated IMO. The guy was very good... but how is he rated so high (a lot of people have him Top 5, which seems extreme to me).

One other note: I find it funny that the only guy with his number retired, can't crack the list.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-25-2010, 12:25 AM
A top ten Steeler list without Jack Ham is created simply to stir Steeler Nation. Ham is considered by almost anybody that is anybody in the NFL as a top 5 linebacker of all time, not just in Steeler history. This omission renders the list null and void. Not including Webster or Dawson the two centers in the debate for GOAT at the center position and not one of them makes the list is ludicrous.

Ward, Polamalu and Bettis don't belong on the list. It's a joke or an effort to stir the Nation.

Madden and Atkinson didn't belong in the documentary they're both @ssholes in the first degree.

Pappy

Which one was Atkinson - the manic blond guy, mid-30s?

Dee Dub
12-25-2010, 01:26 AM

Pappy

He was the one who called Swann soft. He played SS for the Raiders and twice hit Swann with a forearm to the back of his head and gave him a concussion. On one of them Swann didnt even have the ball. Atkinson suckered him from behind when Swann was running a route across the middle. But I guess that makes Swann soft, huh? :roll:

papillon
12-25-2010, 01:32 AM

Pappy

He was the one who called Swann soft. He played SS for the Raiders and twice hit Swann with a forearm to the back of his head and gave him a concussion. And both times Swann didnt even have the ball. But I guess that makes Swann soft, huh? :roll:

Atkinson wasn't relevant when he played and he still isn't relevant. The Raiders as a team from the 70s are still trying to validate themselves; Villapiano is the same way, a lot of talk, but nothing to really show for it. They can't stand that the Steelers by and large owned them.

Pappy

California-Steel
12-25-2010, 05:53 AM
Yoi! and double Yoi! If you don't know who he is or was then you must be a young'en. Your question and answer just made me smile. Then I realized I must be old and then frowned.
:) :(

Ozey74
12-25-2010, 09:51 AM
I disagree with mentioning Alan Faneca as barely missing the list. According to this show, that would put Faneca as the best Steelers O Lineman ever. In my opinion, that distinction should go to Mr. Mike Webster.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-25-2010, 10:29 AM
Yoi! and double Yoi! If you don't know who he is or was then you must be a young'en. Your question and answer just made me smile. Then I realized I must be old and then frowned.
:) :(

Don't frown, California, spread the Black and Gold gospel instead! I watched the show with my son, and was able to bring him up to speed on the names from the 70s ... he's now a major Mel Blount fan, thank goodness for youtube!

But I couldn't tell him who that other guy was ...

Djfan
12-25-2010, 10:58 AM
My boy is a Lambert devotee for the same reason. Has a black and a white Lambert Jersey.

Dee Dub
12-25-2010, 11:30 AM
I disagree with mentioning Alan Faneca as barely missing the list. According to this show, that would put Faneca as the best Steelers O Lineman ever. In my opinion, that distinction should go to Mr. Mike Webster.

I agree with you on this. In fact, I'd put Webster, Dawson, and Kolb ahead of Alan Faneca as the best Steelers linemen ever. And maybe even Mansfield.

SteelCrazy
12-25-2010, 02:33 PM

That was Scott Ferrall. A Sports talk show guy on Sirius, grew up in Pittsburgh, I think. He's on the Howard Stern CHannels.