PDA

View Full Version : Plex due to be free this summer

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-24-2010, 10:53 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... nfl-270990 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Plaxico-Burress-gives-first-jailhouse-interview?urn=nfl-270990)

Mon Sep 20 01:40pm EDT
Plaxico Burress gives first jailhouse interview

By Chris Chase

Plaxico Burress(notes) has high hopes to play again in the NFL and says that nobody in the league will be more dedicated than him if he gets that chance.

The former New York Giants wide receiver recently granted the New York Daily News an exclusive jailhouse interview, his first since going to prison almost one year ago. Wayne Coffey of the Daily News writes that Burress looks fit and is keeping a positive outlook on life in anticipation of his upcoming release and hopeful return to the NFL.

[Photos: More images of the former Giants wideout]

Some of the highlights from the piece:

-- After twice getting denied an application for work release, Burress expects to be released from prison on June 6, 2011. He plans to immediately return to the NFL. "I'm not just going to come back and play," he said. "I'm going to come back and play at a high level."

-- One legal source told the Daily News that half of Manhattan's 400 public prosecutors thought Burress should have received no jail time for his felony gun possession offense, given the specifics of the crime and that it was his first brush with the law.

-- Burress missed the birth of his daugther, who was born while he was in jail. He tells the Daily News that one of the most difficult parts of prison is having to answer his son's questions about where he is and why he isn't playing with the Giants. (Three-year-old Elijah is still a big Giants fan.)

-- During his time in the yard, Burress sometimes runs routes and has fellow inmates throw him passes. They may not be as good as ones coming from Eli Manning(notes), but they can't be much worse than the ones Burress used to catch from Kordell Stewart. "Everybody thinks they are Elway here," he said.

-- Burress has been visited in prison by Giants quarterbacks coach Mike Sullivan and gets homemade salsa sent to him by Sullivan's mother in San Diego. He has also received letters from current team general manager Jerry Reese and former GM Ernie Accorsi.

-- Embattled Giants running back Brandon Jacobs(notes) calls Burress three times a week and has been supportive of Plaxico's family during his incarceration.

Big man, good hands, will be humbled, penitent, and ready to prove that he is a good soldier. And, it's not "your father's Rooney" at the helm anymore.

Possible, or "snowball's chance in ... uhmm, Baltimore" ?!!

Crash
12-24-2010, 12:22 PM
I say talk to him and see where he's at as a person.

The Steelers image is a farce. People need to quit preaching it.

If it makes sense? Sign him. But I see the Jets making a plan to get him, especially if Holmes leaves as a free agent.

SteelCrazy
12-24-2010, 12:29 PM
Not going to happen. I would love it, but they won't do it.

Sugar
12-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Since I don't think there will probably be an NFL season next year, I don't think it matters.

sentinel33
12-24-2010, 01:36 PM
not sure what the whole steelers image is a farse comment means but i really hope they dont pursue plax. and i dont think they will. i could see baltimore making a play for him though. that would suck.

NJ-STEELER
12-24-2010, 01:49 PM
FWIW there's a poster on another board that says he knows the attorny that plax is represented by and wrote that plax would like to return to either atlanta or pittsburgh

pittpete
12-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Why the hell would we want Burress?
With Wallace and Sanders development so far the last thing we need is a WR.

SteelAbility
12-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Id love to get Plaxico back ... dude is dominant and his presence changes the game

NJ-STEELER
12-24-2010, 03:54 PM
nothing against him. i like manny
right now, i see sanders as a solid #3. if he's #3 on a team, that team has a very good core of wideouts and a good passing offense.

i believe he can be a #2, but he isn't going to be one of the top #2s in the game. and if he's a #2, i think the position can be upgraded

Crash
12-24-2010, 04:11 PM
Three wide base: Wallace, Sanders, Plax.

StarSpangledSteeler
12-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Anyone who thinks we couldn't "use" Plax is not evaluating with a clear mind. He provides an element none of our other receivers have. He creates match up problems. He has big game experience. And Plax and Ben have remarkable chemistry.

Now if you don't want him because of character issues... To each their own. But he would be a welcome addition talent wise without spending a draft pick.

papillon
12-24-2010, 04:55 PM
I'd love to have Plax back or even Santonio, since he'll be a free agent. I think either guy would love to come back and play with Ben again.

The Steeler aura or image is not a farce. It may not be the squeaky clean image that many would like it to believe, but it is better than most. Each episode has it's own set circumstances that I'm the Steeler organization evaluates before they make a decision to trade or release a player regardless of status.

Pappy

Djfan
12-24-2010, 05:15 PM
Get him. Bargain price I bet. Cool story for us and him and a dominant player to boot.

Sugar
12-24-2010, 05:19 PM
We might need him since Ward is retiring in February after we win the Super Bowl.

:tt2

fezziwig
12-24-2010, 09:59 PM
I don't think the Steelers/rooneys are fakes when it comes to image. With that being said, I see no reason to bring back Plex.

Eich
12-24-2010, 10:39 PM
"2-3 balls a game doesn't suit me"

birtikidis
12-25-2010, 03:00 PM
"2-3 balls a game doesn't suit me"
please, everyone knows that the only selfish guy we've ever had on our team is Hines...
or was that a Hines quote lol

Scarletfire1970
12-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Why the hell would we want Burress?
With Wallace and Sanders development so far the last thing we need is a WR.Burress is 6-5 and has always gotten along very well with Ben and his playing style.

The shot at Korkie in the article was uncalled for and the compliment of Eli was unwarranted. Eli hasn't been able to beat the Eagles since Plax left and has went back to sucking again in the playoffs and any game where the team needs him to make plays when they have no running game. Plax made Eli, not the other way around.

Crash
12-26-2010, 11:34 AM
please, everyone knows that the only selfish guy we've ever had on our team is Hines... or was that a Hines quote lol

Ask the media if you get a chance.

Holmes, Plax, Hines.

Hines is by far the worst of the three as far as being a teammate.

RuthlessBurgher
12-26-2010, 03:59 PM
Are there any quality corners or o-linemen that are coming out of prison instead?

Snatch98
12-26-2010, 05:55 PM
Bring in Ochocinco! kind of serious/kind of not. I'd also welcome Plex back to the fold if he comes cheap.

hawaiiansteel
12-26-2010, 05:58 PM
Bring in Ochocinco. not!

there, fixed that for you... :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
12-26-2010, 06:45 PM
please, everyone knows that the only selfish guy we've ever had on our team is Hines... or was that a Hines quote lol

Ask the media if you get a chance.

Holmes, Plax, Hines.

Hines is by far the worst of the three as far as being a teammate.

I thought the reason that Hines didn't get the bad press you feel he so richly deserved is because the media loves Ward since they give them good copy?

What would the media know about being a good teammate anyway?

Ask Santonio or Wallace about how much they learned from Hines...

Crash
12-26-2010, 06:49 PM
I thought the reason that Hines didn't get the bad press you feel he so richly deserved is because the media loves Ward since they give them good copy?

I'm sure they had to ask Hines first. Remember, Hines said he wouldn't go out of his way to help someone.

"Leader".

hawaiiansteel
12-26-2010, 07:07 PM

I'm sure they had to ask Hines first. Remember, Hines said he wouldn't go out of his way to help someone.

"Leader".

sounds like Hines Ward is helping out his fellow WRs to me...in fact, I think Hines will make a great WR coach someday.

Ward helping out Wallace

By Teresa Varley – Steelers.com
Posted May 19, 2010

Hines Ward has taken on a new role during the teams OTAs this offseason. Instead of being out there running routes with his teammates, Ward is offering advice to the young receivers and in particular mentoring second-year receiver Mike Wallace.

“Coaching for me just comes natural,” joked Ward after OTAs on Wednesday. “We’re very young at the wide receiver corps. It’s not about me. My not being out there gives more reps to our young guys and it’s reps they need to have. Me going into my 13th year, I want to help in Mike Wallace’s development as a wide receiver. I have to have a counterpart opposite of me, not just one guy but a couple of guys in case somebody goes down with an injury. This is a great opportunity for the younger guys to get more reps.

“It’s not about me practicing now. I have run curl routes for 13 years. I am seeing it from a visual side, seeing defenses and stuff like that. I am getting practice mentally, but working with those guys is more important because we do need to add depth at our wide receiver position.”

With Santonio Holmes gone, traded to the New York Jets, there is an opening opposite of Ward at receiver. He is working to make sure Wallace is ready for that job.

“Going into his second year there is a lot on his shoulders,” said Ward. “I have to make sure his development comes along fast so he can go out there. Mike has shown flashes of great signs last season. It’s like night and day being the third wide out and having the third corner. Now you have the starting corner to line up across from you. He has a whole different ball game waiting for him. I have to make sure I can speed his development up. The talent is there. Now he is going to be asked to be a starter and move on from there.”

Ward isn’t participating mainly because he has been hampered by a hamstring injury. He expects to run some routes during the OTAs, but his focus is on training camp.

“I can run,” said Ward. “But why am I in a hurry to come back? I am going to take my time. I don’t want to come back and re-aggravate it. You will see me in Latrobe. Right now I am out here rehabbing every day. It’s a weekly thing. You will see me out here running routes eventually. Right now my job is to be one of the leaders and get the wide receivers to gain their knowledge so they can help the depth at the position.”

And while Ward isn’t catching passes from the three quarterbacks who are competing to open the season as the starter while Ben Roethlisbergerserves a six-game suspension, he did weigh in on the competition and hopes a starter is named going into training camp.

“I have caught balls from all of the guys,” said Ward of Charlie Batch, Dennis Dixon and Byron Leftwich. “We are comfortable with whoever gets named starter. I would go to battle with any of those guys. Whoever is named starter you would like to have that rapport and not keep answering the question of who it will be. It will be less of a distraction knowing going into camp that way you can focus and move on from there.

“I can’t say whose job it is. All of them look good. It’s hard to determine because we don’t even have on pads. It’s like touch football. You are playing to get the scheme down. Things change when you put on pads and you have people tugging at you. Regardless of who is out there we are going to go out there fighting and try to help this team win ball games.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 1c64134b99 (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Ward-helping-out-Wallace/f7cee09a-fc59-4fba-b6f9-fc1c64134b99)

Crash
12-26-2010, 07:11 PM
"If [first-round pick Santonio Holmes] wants to be helped and asks, I'm more than willing," Ward told the P-G. "But for me to go out of the way to try to help somebody, I'm not going to do it"

Irongut
12-26-2010, 07:15 PM
Holmes is a dirtbag. Can't blame Hines for not wanting to help him, although he did and Holmes will tell you that just like Wallace, Brown and Sanders but who cares about facts when we have a quote to misrepresent?

Guess you missed Wallaces live air quote after the game on thursday or is it you just choose to ignore it?

Shocker!

Crash
12-26-2010, 07:21 PM
Holmes is a dirtbag. Can't blame Hines for not wanting to help him, although he did and Holmes will tell you that just like Wallace, Brown and Sanders but who cares about facts when we have a quote to misrepresent?

Guess you missed Wallaces live air quote after the game on thursday or is it you just choose to ignore it?

Shocker!

Wallace didn't say if he had to ask him first.

Ward's own history says he did.

"Leader".

The media doesn't have the nuts to say what should be said: Hines should not be starting. Like I said, he's never had 1000 yards without a #1 draft pick next to him.

Who makes who?

Scarletfire1970
12-26-2010, 07:27 PM
Forget Hines Ward. Who cares about that right now.

This is about Plax. I am all for getting him back. A big WR would complete our group of WRs. He'd be perfect.

Irongut
12-26-2010, 07:36 PM

Shocker!

Wallace didn't say if he had to ask him first.

Ward's own history says he did.

"Leader".

The media doesn't have the nuts to say what should be said: Hines should not be starting. Like I said, he's never had 1000 yards without a #1 draft pick next to him.

Who makes who?Your stupidity knows no bounds!

Shawn
12-26-2010, 07:40 PM
Absolutely. Ward retires. Burress, Wallace, Sanders? That's pretty nasty.

hawaiiansteel
12-26-2010, 07:41 PM
The media doesn't have the nuts to say what should be said: Hines should not be starting.

December 24, 2010

Steelers shifting away from Ward

ALAN ROBINSON
Associated Press

http://i52.tinypic.com/2mnkn6e.jpg

PITTSBURGH — Hines Ward has been the focal point of the Pittsburgh Steelers’ offense for so long, it almost seems as if he goes back to the days of Terry Bradshaw and Franco Harris.

Ward has been the Steelers’ leading receiver every season since he tied for the team lead with Troy Edwards in 1999, a testament to longevity in a sport where many players’ careers are over before they reach their 30s.

Ben Roethlisberger has completed about 500 passes to him alone since 2004, all while Ward was breaking nearly every major receiving record in club history.

While Ward remains a starter, the Steelers’ offense is fast evolving as the playoffs approach – as evidenced by their 27-3 victory over the Carolina Panthers on Thursday night.

Roethlisberger more often looks toward receivers Mike Wallace and Emmanuel Sanders and tight end Heath Miller when he needs key yardage, only a year after he was targeting Ward, Santonio Holmes and Miller on such plays.

Unless Ward has a big game against the Browns on Jan. 2, Wallace will finish as the team’s leading receiver. That would be something of a culture shock for the Steelers (11-4), considering Ward has led them in receptions every year since their next-to-last season in Three Rivers Stadium.

“It’s a matter of opportunities,” said the 34-year-old Ward, who doesn’t believe his career is winding down. “The other guys are getting a lot of opportunities and they’re capitalizing on them.”

The Jets showed respect for Ward, whose twin skills as a possession receiver and a blocker still aren’t rivaled by another NFL receiver. They shadowed him with star cornerback Darrelle Revis for much of their 22-17 win on Sunday, a tactic that apparently reflected their opinion Ward is Pittsburgh’s most-dangerous receiver.

http://tribune-democrat.com/prosport...away-from-Ward

fezziwig
12-28-2010, 10:49 AM
Ward is still the go to guy. His talents are not as over the top as Wallace or Sanders but, he is a stick moving guy when the chips are down.
The Jets placed focus on Ward and it allowed our other receivers to do well and when we play next maybe it will be the other way around ?
Anyway, the younger guys will eventually supplant Hines or at least age will.
I think it is a good mix right now having Ward on the team, keeping these young guys focused and Hines as a role model.
Test the defenses with Hines, Wallace, Sanders, Brown each game and go with the guy that gets you the yards, first downs and points.

RuthlessBurgher
12-28-2010, 11:12 AM

You realize at Burress is only one year younger than Ward, right?

And skills tend to erode after being away from the game for 2 full seasons.

Djfan
12-28-2010, 12:32 PM
Crash, can you let a thread be a thread on it's own, and not turn it into a drug crazed rant about Ward, PLEASE?!?!

fezziwig
12-28-2010, 02:10 PM
I never thought Plaxico was that good. I didn't think he was that bad but nothing to cry or cheer over if he is or isn't on your team or returns back to the NFL.

Shawn
12-28-2010, 02:21 PM

What would it hurt to give him a try out? Is he too old to look at?

RuthlessBurgher
12-28-2010, 02:24 PM

Just saying it sounds odd that you think Ward is done after this year, and a guy only one year his junior who has been out of the game for a couple of seasons is the guy to take his place.

fezziwig
12-28-2010, 02:33 PM
I know it couldn't hurt to give Plex a try out but we have enough guys at that position that are trying to develope. Why do it for a guy that hasn't many years left in him, needs to get back in football shape, training and what have you and you know will expect to be a starter right off the bat and you know he will complain ?

He will also be a slight distraction and with the Steelers getting rid of Holmes due to his troubles and keeping Ben with his troubles why, now have a Plaxico ?

He will never smell this team unless he buys tickets to the games.

Some fans are already talking that Hines has reached his prime so why bring in another old dude and keep the team from getting younger and keeping the Steel machine from rolling into the future ?

Crash
12-28-2010, 02:34 PM
Hines' body is much "older" than his actual age. That can't be denied. Too many hits taken, and too many hits given out.

TallyStiller
12-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Different games, different ability to play into their 30's. Plax's game was never speed - he put up the slowest time at the combine the year he was drafted. His size and agility, however, made him all but uncoverable at times, and those things don't diminish as quickly with age.

The only question I see regarding Hines' ability to play another season or two is his knees and his desire to do so. If we win the SB, he retires and goes out on top. If a lockout eats up 2011, he may not come back in 2012. However, the skill set he has, including the downfield blocking skills, make him valuable even with fewer targets. If he wants to play, I'd love it, even as a slot guy with Sanders and Brown seeing steadily more footballs.

feltdizz
12-28-2010, 03:16 PM
Hell no to Plex.. I watched him in NYC and this guy took it to a whole new level of douchebaggery.

Trust me... he will not turn things around like Vick did. He doesn't have it in him. He would have been a free man and this whole thing would have been covered up if he wasn't an azzz. The Giants and Bloomberg made sure he paid the full price.

Santonio is the same way... he is cool right now but give him a year or 2.

We have all the WR's we need and even though I have no faith in Sweed it's still more faith then I have in those other 2 idiots.

Crash
12-28-2010, 03:19 PM
For Plax to be the only one in jail for this was nothing but pure political BS.

The Bouncer and Pierce should have joined him, or Plax shouldn't have been.

Period.

Shawn
12-29-2010, 01:19 AM

Just saying it sounds odd that you think Ward is done after this year, and a guy only one year his junior who has been out of the game for a couple of seasons is the guy to take his place.

It sounds odd that a guy with two less seasons on his body, and who isn't known for blowing people up every other play might have less wear?

Shawn
12-29-2010, 01:21 AM
Hines' body is much "older" than his actual age. That can't be denied. Too many hits taken, and too many hits given out.

$$$

Not to mention Plex has 2 less seasons on his body.

hawaiiansteel
12-29-2010, 02:30 AM
how are the Pennsylvania gun laws? :lol:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_335DKn2pO6U/So2Dqnu13QI/AAAAAAAABz8/XlObNObGqTE/s400/burress_is_a_dumbass.jpg

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-29-2010, 09:09 AM
Just in time for a vacation before he gets back to work. Hope someone, other than the Steelers, gives him a chance and he succeeds. Time didn't fit the crime in my opinion. He was an idiot for not obeying the law and should have been punished but....I've seen convicted felons do much worse & walk away.