PDA

View Full Version : Sam Huff rips Goodell, defends James Harrison's hits

hawaiiansteel
12-21-2010, 10:21 PM
Sam Huff rips NFL for limiting helmet-to-helmet hits

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 21, 2010

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/jamesharrison.jpg?w=250

As an All-Pro linebacker for the Redskins and Giants in the 1950s and 1960s, Sam Huff was one of football’s hardest hitters. And he’s not happy with the way the league office is cracking down on the hardest hitters of today.

Huff told the Charleston Daily Mail that fines for helmet-to-helmet hits are handed down from league executives who don’t understand the game.

“‘Look, he’s getting hit! They shouldn’t do that!’” Huff said. “That’s what they sit there in the offices up in New York City and say. What the hell? They’re up there sitting looking at replays. They’ve not practiced, not touched a football, not been on the field, not worn a helmet.”

Huff, who works as a radio commentator on Redskins games, said he thinks the league is out of touch with what players want.

“I know what it’s like to be a player,” Huff said. “Today’s players know what it’s like to be a player. The people making these rules don’t know what the game is really like. They aren’t out there.”

Huff believes that helmet-to-helmet contact is an integral part of football.

“It is tackle football,” Huff said. “It’s the NFL. It’s not a game of touch football. It’s blocking and tackling. Helmet-to-helmet? It’s why you wear helmets.”

And Huff singled out NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell for criticism.

“It’s all been built up over a period of time, and if the people who run the game — Roger Goodell, those people — aren’t careful they’re going to tear it down in short order,” Huff said. “And that’s sad.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... lmet-hits/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/21/sam-huff-rips-nfl-for-limiting-helmet-to-helmet-hits/)

DukieBoy
12-21-2010, 10:29 PM
Great player in his prime.
Great perspective in this time.

SteelCrazy
12-21-2010, 10:31 PM
:Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap

We need more Sam's to step forward.....

LordVile
12-21-2010, 10:46 PM
Kudos to Mr. Huff.. Huffin' and puffin'
I have this vision, that Goodell is gunna be in hot water within a years time, that someone is gunna step forward and leak his corruption scandal and his motive and he'll be removed.. There is gunna be an up-roar that actually leads to something. I'm SURE of it.. :Beer

hawaiiansteel
12-21-2010, 10:59 PM
Report: Goodell-Sterger meeting became “heated”

Posted by Mike Florio on December 21, 2010

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/01/01/gal_sterger-7.jpg

We reported on Saturday that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell met personally with former Jets in-house sideline reporter Jenn Sterger last week.

Michael O’Keeffe of the New York Daily News confirms that the meeting occurred, and he reports that the session “became heated at times.”

It’s not surprising that it became heated, given the perception by Sterger’s representatives that no action will be taken against Favre. Sterger’s manager, Phil Reese, and her lawyer, Joe Conway, believe that Sterger’s name can be cleared only with a finding that Favre in some way violated the league’s Personal Conduct Policy via his interactions with Sterger.

Part of the problem, in our view, is that the Sterger camp at times confuses “wrongdoing” with sexual harassment. If Favre, a married man, pursued Sterger for a romantic relationship by, among other things, sending photos of a sensitive part of his anatomy via text message, he engaged in something that most reasonable persons would describe as wrongdoing. But whether it amounted to sexual harassment is a more complicated proposition, depending in large part on Sterger’s reaction to the alleged advances.

O’Keeffe also confirms that Goodell met with Favre on Monday, before the Vikings “hosted” the Bears at TCF Bank Stadium. Favre said after the game that he met with Goodell, but Favre danced around the subject of whether the meeting entailed the Sterger case.

“You know, I saw him briefly for I would say five or 10 minutes,” Favre said, via the press conference televised by ESPN. “It was a very brief conversation, so I wouldn’t think — I wouldn’t call that an investigation or anything.”

On Sunday, Goodell told NBC’s Bob Costas that the Commissioner expects to make a decision regarding the case before the season is over.

“We’ve been very serious, we’ve been very thoughtful, we’ve been very thorough and we’re going to continue to do that,” Goodell told Costas. “We take this issue very seriously and I want to make the right decision.”

We’ve got a feeling that the decision could come as soon as tomorrow or Thursday. For the purposes of letting the news disappear into a long Christmas weekend, late Thursday afternoon would be ideal. The fact that the NFL is playing a game on Thursday night makes us think that it makes some sense to put it out there late Wednesday, so that the league can then take its lumps on Thursday morning and then focus on the Thursday night game between the Panthers and Steelers.

Then again, since not many people will be paying attention to the Panthers-Steelers game, Thursday afternoon may indeed be the best way to go.

Either way, a suspension undoubtedly won’t happen. Favre has appeal rights that could not be exhausted before Week 17, in part because he has the right to wait 10 days to challenge a suspension.

Though he possibly won’t be playing in either of the Vikings’ final two games, the fact that he makes nearly $1 million per week makes a one-game suspension a very expensive penalty.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... me-heated/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/21/report-goodell-sterger-meeting-became-heated/)

Crash
12-21-2010, 11:04 PM
Sterger needs to spill the beans. Goodell won't do anything.

And if the reports on Rex Ryan are true that pervert needs to sit too.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Sam Huff for commissioner.

As far as that report about the Goodell-Sterger meeting becoming "heated"...I'm already heated, and all I did was look at a picture of her! Can't imagine what it would be like to meet with her in person.

Crash
12-23-2010, 03:02 AM
This is even better.....

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 14991.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_714991.html)

SteelCrazy
12-23-2010, 03:13 AM
Sterger needs to spill the beans. Goodell won't do anything.

And if the reports on Rex Ryan are true that pervert needs to sit too.

Why would Rex Ryan need to sit too? If that is his wife and him, then like he said, "It's a personal matter." They are married and can do as they please as long as it is legal. Im pretty sure feet are legal.

Crash
12-23-2010, 03:19 AM
Why would Rex Ryan need to sit too? If that is his wife and him, then like he said, "It's a personal matter." They are married and can do as they please as long as it is legal. Im pretty sure feet are legal.

The comments by Ryan on his sexual desires are perverted. Embarrassing to himself, his family, and his league. Tarnishing the shield.

Suspend him.

NorthCoast
12-23-2010, 10:02 AM
Kudos to Mr. Huff.. Huffin' and puffin'
I have this vision, that Goodell is gunna be in hot water within a years time, that someone is gunna step forward and leak his corruption scandal and his motive and he'll be removed.. There is gunna be an up-roar that actually leads to something. I'm SURE of it.. :Beer

Can someone send an friendly email to Mr. Assange or one of his associates? Talk about a media storm with one of these leaks....

hawaiiansteel
12-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Starkey: NFL fumbles on gunner incident

By Joe Starkey, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, December 23, 2010

Let me concoct a scenario for you: Steelers linebacker James Harrison jumps off the bench during a punt return and decks an opposing player running down the field.

What do you think happens to Harrison?

Six-figure fine?

Two-game suspension?

Forty days in the slammer?

Here is what happened to the Carolina Panthers player who actually committed that unthinkable act two weeks ago: Nothing. Unless you consider a paltry $15,000 fine significant compared to, say, the $75,000 Harrison was docked for attempting to make a legal tackle against the Cleveland Browns.

Tyler Brayton, a starting defensive end for the Panthers, should not be allowed to suit up tonight at Heinz Field. But he will, likely because he is almost as obscure as the player he clocked, Atlanta Falcons gunner Chris Owens.

Brayton's sideline body block was easily the most reckless act of an NFL season marked by the league's erratic attempts to crack down on reckless acts. The move could have resulted in serious injury to Owens, whose job is hard enough without somebody not in the game abusing him.

"It's kind of cowardly, if you ask me, to come off the bench and hit a guy when he's not looking," Steelers gunner Anthony Madison said. "That's no way to play ball."

Gunners are the guys who race down the flanks in punt coverage, often facing a double-team and perhaps even a third blocker along the way. Owens was working against a blocker when he was forced out of bounds. He was moving at a high rate of speed, legally trying to get back onto the field, when Brayton jumped off the bench and decked him.

Think about that.

The video, uncovered this past Sunday by Fox Sports' Jay Glazer, is stunning. It might even remind you of one of the most infamous plays in football history: Alabama's Tommy Lewis leaping from the sidelines to tackle Rice running back Dicky Maegle in the 1954 Cotton Bowl.

Of course, this wasn't a spotlight game, and that wasn't Tom Brady getting drilled on the sideline. It was Chris Owens. What's more, a similar incident from the same weekend was uncovered immediately and garnered much more attention.

The culprit in that case was New York Jets strength and conditioning coach Sal Alosi, who stuck out a knee and tripped a Miami Dolphins gunner. Alosi actually had players form a human wall with him along the sidelines to deter the gunner's path.

The Jets, in consultation with the NFL, fined Alosi $25,000 and suspended him for the rest of the season.

Brayton plays on.

These stories will pass quickly, of course, because nobody cares about the punt coverage team. Gunners are about as obscure as, well ...

"It's like being a freakin' long snapper," Madison said. "You don't notice them until they mess up."

Or until they're KO'd on the sidelines. Now that gunners are under attack, they are attracting media attention — and it turns out sideline shenanigans are nothing new. Madison said he has been subjected to sideline interference from coaches and players, though nothing as dramatic as a Brayton clothesline.

The NFL is paying some attention to the problem. It has issued a memo reminding teams of sideline regulations and ordering them to employ a "get-back" coach whose job is to make sure players on the sideline stay out of trouble (the Steelers' "get-back" coaches are strength and conditioning coordinator Garrett Giemont and director of player development Ray Jackson).

Madison's teammate, Arnaz Battle, was a gunner earlier in his career. He hated what he saw from Brayton.

"What if it (results in a) career-ending knee injury?" Battle said. "Then you've taken away someone's goals and ambitions and livelihood with a senseless act. Cheating, basically."

Yes, cheating. And cheap. And utterly reckless.

And the NFL looked the other way.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 14991.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_714991.html)