PDA

View Full Version : Bob Labriola's Top 10 Steelers

Djfan
12-21-2010, 01:10 PM
Said it was an assignment and hard to do. I bet!

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Labriolas-Top-10-Steelers/5cc45533-7c3a-453f-8824-f5835634ead2

By Bob Labriola - Steelers Digest

Posted 8 hours ago

* a
* a

Dick Hoak’s tenure with the team, first as a player and then as an assistant coach, spanned 46 years and included five Super Bowl rings. He said he couldn’t do it. “There were so many great football players,” said Hoak, whose spot as the No. 6 rusher in franchise history indicates he could play a little bit himself.

Brent Musburger’s NFL broadcasting career on CBS began in 1973 and spanned 17 years, and he stood on same the stage as Pete Rozelle when the NFL Commissioner presented a Lombardi Trophy to Art Rooney Sr. for the fourth time in a six-season span. “I think it’s virtually impossible to take the Steelers and make a list of 1-to-10.”

I’m with Brent on this one. Making a list of the greatest players in the history of the Pittsburgh Steelers is difficult but doable. Limiting the number to 10? Not so much. In fact, it’s a simpler matter to identify No. 1 than it is to determine the other nine, but more on that later.

NFL Network has come up with its list, and it will premier the decision at 8 p.m. on Christmas Eve when it airs “The Top 10 Pittsburgh Steelers.”

The network has itself a series that’s both entertaining and interesting with its many variations of The Top 10, and the subjects run the gamut of “The Top 10 Quarterbacks” to “The Top 10 Players under 5-foot-10.”

“The Top 10 Steelers” promises to be among the most debated once it’s announced, simply because it has to come down to personal preference. A strictly objective method can’t work.

It has to come to personal preference, because if individual excellence is the criteria, there are 12 players already enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame who got there by what they did while wearing a Steelers uniform. If the winning of championships is the be-all-end-all, well, there are 14 players with four Super Bowl rings apiece who were named to the Steelers’ All-Time Team as part of the franchise’s 75th Season celebration in 2007. If toughness and a career spent playing the game in a physical fashion is the criteria, there literally are hundreds of players who qualify.

Since it’s to be about personal preference, I will offer my Top 10. I offer it with humility, completely understanding that my perspective is limited. The honest truth is it was an assignment.

“That’s like saying, which one of my children is my favorite,” said Tunch Ilkin about trying to pick only 10, and he was a player good enough to be on the Steelers’ All-Time Team.

I may not have any children, but I feel the sentiment. Nevertheless, here goes, and you will notice there are no active players on this list because in my opinion it’s impossible to measure a career accurately until it’s over, and there are too many outstanding bodies of work already completed to get involved with projections:

JOE GREENE (1969-1981): He is listed first because Greene is the No. 1 player in franchise history. Only the truly great can change history, and that’s what Joe Greene did. When Chuck Noll first met the team he inherited in 1969 he told the players that the goal was to win a Super Bowl championship but that most of them weren’t good enough to be a part of that. Then, the first player Noll added to that room was Joe Greene, whose legacy to the Steelers transcends any statistics. Greene was all about the winning, and his standing among his peers in the locker room led them in that same direction. In a 1972 game the injury-ravaged Steelers had to have to win the first division title in franchise history, Greene had five sacks and blocked a short field goal attempt by the Oilers; he recovered one fumble and forced another, and those takeaways led to two field goals in a 9-3 win. A defensive tackle, Greene was twice voted the league’s Defensive Player of the Year award. The Steelers have won more games and more championships than any other team since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger, and Joe Greene was the player who set the tone for all of it. Hall of Fame Class of 1987.

The rest of this list is presented in alphabetical order:

JEROME BETTIS (1996-2005): The Steelers have built their success on the twin cornerstones of running the football and rock-ribbed defense. Bettis is one of the two best running backs for a franchise that has rushed for more yards than any other since 1970. Bettis was the unquestioned leader of the Steelers team that won Super Bowl XL, the fifth in team history. As the most productive big back in NFL history, Bettis will be enshrined in Canton one day.

MEL BLOUNT (1970-1983): He was so big, strong and fast that Blount helped force the NFL to change its rules on pass defense after the 1977 season. Blount played 14 seasons and 200 games in Pittsburgh, and his 57 interceptions are tops in team history. In 1975 Blount recorded 11 interceptions and was voted NFL Defensive Player of the Year. He was a first-team All-Pro four times. Hall of Fame Class of 1989.

TERRY BRADSHAW (1970-1983): Winning championships is what distinguishes the great NFL quarterbacks, and that’s why Bradshaw was a first-ballot Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee in 1989. While calling all of his own plays, Bradshaw quarterbacked the Steelers to eight division titles and four Super Bowl championships; Bradshaw was voted the MVP of Super Bowls XIII and XIV, and NFL Player of the Year in 1978. In 19 career playoff games, Bradshaw threw 30 touchdown passes, and his record as a starter in conference championship games and Super Bowls was 8-2. Hall of Fame Class of 1989.

DERMONTTI DAWSON (1988-2000): His first season as a center was 1989, and his final season was ruined by persistent hamstring injuries. In the decade of the 1990s, Dawson was voted first-team All-Pro six times, and since there is only one center on the team that’s compelling evidence he was the best center in football throughout most of his career. If it’s my team, Dawson is the center over Mike Webster. A two-time finalist for induction into the Hall of Fame, Dawson eventually will have his bust in Canton.

JACK HAM (1971-1982): There have been 60 Pro Bowls played, and the Steelers have had at least one linebacker in 42 of them. That’s an impressive legacy of linebackers, and Jack Ham was the best of them all. Ham earned All-Pro or All-AFC honors in seven consecutive seasons, played in eight straight Pro Bowls and was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1988. Ham never lost his poise and seemed immune to making mistakes on the field. Hall of Fame Class of 1988.

FRANCO HARRIS (1972-83): Said team founder Art Rooney Sr., “We didn’t win too much until he got here. And then we didn’t lose very often after he did.” Harris was the kind of player who was always hustling to the football, which put him in position for the Immaculate Reception. Always at his best in the biggest of games, Harris was named Super Bowl IX MVP after rushing for a then-record 158 yards and a touchdown; in 19 playoff games, he rushed for 1,556 yards and 16 touchdowns to go along with 51 catches for 504 yards. Hall of Fame Class of 1990.

JACK LAMBERT (1974-84): Forever, there will be the vision of Lambert throwing Dallas safety Cliff Harris to the ground in Super Bowl X, and when it came to passion and intensity few could match him. When asked after a 1981 game about a hit on Browns quarterback Brian Sipe that got him ejected, Lambert said, “Brian has a chance to go out of bounds, and he decides not to. He knows I’m going to hit him. And I do. History.” He was a two-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year, eight-time All-Pro and nine-time Pro Bowl selection. Hall of Fame Class of 1990.

ERNIE STAUTNER (1950-63): “What made him was his strength,” said Dan Rooney. “This was a time players didn't have strength, they didn’t lift weights. I remember we were playing the Giants at Forbes Field one time and it was a very close game, and they were moving the ball. He sacked the quarterback three times in a row.” The franchise retired his No. 70 jersey in 1964 following his retirement, and he remains the only Steelers player to have received that honor. The Steel Curtain was one of the greatest defensive lines in NFL history, and Stautner would have taken one of that quartet’s jobs. Hall of Fame Class of 1969.

ROD WOODSON (1987-96): He didn’t win his Super Bowl ring with the Steelers, and he played seven seasons after leaving the team. But if my life depended upon the outcome of a football game, my cornerbacks in that game are Woodson and Blount. One of only five active players selected to the NFL’s 75th Anniversary Team in 1994, Woodson was a six-time All-Pro cornerback during his 10 years in Pittsburgh and was the NFL’s Defensive Player of the Year in 1993. Hall of Fame Class of 2009.

Don’t forget, Christmas Eve, 8 p.m., NFL Network. Enjoy the show, and let the arguments begin.

Crash
12-21-2010, 01:24 PM
That list is horrible.

Troy and Ben should be on, and Stautner and Bettis should be off.

RuthlessBurgher
12-21-2010, 01:29 PM
I think Mike Webster has to be on there. I'd put him in over Bettis.

RuthlessBurgher
12-21-2010, 01:32 PM
That list is horrible.

He did state that "you will notice there are no active players on this list because in my opinion it’s impossible to measure a career accurately until it’s over, and there are too many outstanding bodies of work already completed to get involved with projections."

Crash
12-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Joe Greene being on the list is laughable. He wasn't even better than LC, and remember Joe Greene was so frustrated after one loss in 1974 that he walked out, quit, only to return.

RuthlessBurgher
12-21-2010, 02:16 PM
Joe Greene being on the list is laughable. He wasn't even better than LC, and remember Joe Greene was so frustrated after one loss in 1974 that he walked out, quit, only to return.

I didn't think you'd be able to top your irrational Hines Ward hate, but congratulations! You've done it! I'm officially convinced that you are not Mark Madden's biggest discipline, but rather have to be the attention-monger Madden himself. You choose positions solely based on what will get the maximum reaction from others.

Crash
12-21-2010, 02:20 PM

I didn't think you'd be able to top your irrational Hines Ward hate, but congratulations! You've done it! I'm officially convinced that you are not Mark Madden's biggest discipline, but rather have to be the attention-monger Madden himself. You choose positions solely based on what will get the maximum reaction from others.

Sorry, I just deal in facts.

Here's another juicy fact for you, Joe Greene would REFUSE to sign any Steelers items for fans TEN YEARS AFTER he was not named head coach of the Steelers because he was still bitter.

But when the Cards fired him what did he do? He went back to the Steelers with hat in hand.

RuthlessBurgher
12-21-2010, 02:30 PM

Here's another juicy fact for you, Joe Greene would REFUSE to sign any Steelers items for fans TEN YEARS AFTER he was not named head coach of the Steelers because he was still bitter.

But when the Cards fired him what did he do? He went back to the Steelers with hat in hand.

Awww...did the big mean man not sign li'l ol' Crash's football card?

Crash
12-21-2010, 02:33 PM

This was reported during a pre-season game when the Broncos were playing Arizona. Wasn't me. Not an autograph chaser at all.

But no comment on it huh? Yeah, I know, truth sucks sometimes doesn't it?

MeetJoeGreene
12-21-2010, 02:41 PM

+1

RuthlessBurgher
12-21-2010, 02:45 PM

This was reported during a pre-season game when the Broncos were playing Arizona. Wasn't me. Not an autograph chaser at all.

Okay, in spite of my better judgment, I'll comment anyway...fine.

10× Pro Bowl selection (1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1978, 1979)
5× First-team All-Pro selection (1972, 1973, 1974, 1977, 1979)
3× Second-team All-Pro selection (1969, 1971, 1975)
11× First-team All-AFC selection (1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979)
4× Super Bowl champion (IX, X, XIII, XIV)
NFL 75th Anniversary All-Time Team
NFL 1970s All-Decade Team
1969 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year
2× AP NFL Defensive Player of the Year (1972, 1974)
2× NEA NFL Defensive MVP winner (1972, 1974)

That trumps someone not signing autographs. By just a smidge.

papillon
12-21-2010, 02:46 PM

Signing or not signing autographs has absolutely nothing to do with his place in Steeler history as a player. Joe Greene was the cornerstone to the great defense of the 70s and there is no denying that. Jack Lambert (I think) stated that Joe Greene made it easy to make tackles because he took on so many linemen.

Joe Greene is and always be the #1 Steeler and there really isn't anything that any player can do about that now. He will be forever linked with the Steeler turn around whether you want to believe that or not or whether you think he deserves it or not.

You may not like some of the things he did off the field or the way he acted after retirement, but that doesn't change what he did for the Steeler organization from day one of his Steeler career.

He's number one everyone else is fighting for positions 2 through 10.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
12-21-2010, 02:47 PM

+1

I wasn't particularly concerned about whether or not I'd have your support on this specific topic, MJG. :wink:

PSU_dropout43
12-21-2010, 02:54 PM
Joe Greene was the cornerstone to the great defense of the 70s and there is no denying that. Jack Lambert (I think) stated that Joe Greene made it easy to make tackles because he took on so many linemen.

Joe Greene is and always be the #1 Steeler...
Pappy
SAT analogy -

Ben Roethlisberger : Joe Greene :: Larry Bird : Bill Russell

Crash
12-21-2010, 02:56 PM
I don't believe Greene was better than LC. LC was dominant, he was also dominant in big games. Ron Yary was a HOF linemen and LC destroyed him in SB IX.

Greene's career pretty much peaked and then began sliding after he hurt his back in 1975. In fact, many in the Pittsburgh media thought he could be cut in 1978 because he was slowing down rapidly, but then Noll started to rotate him and pro-longed his career.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-21-2010, 03:01 PM
Mean Joe not in the top 10???

thanks, i needed a laugh today.

papillon
12-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Mean Joe not in the top 10???

thanks, i needed a laugh today.

Next thing Crash will tell us is that Hines Ward deserves to be on the list before Joe Greene. :stirpot

Actually, I was waiting for the remove Joe Greene and add Ben post. :stirpot

Just stirring the pot boss, just stirring the pot.

Pappy

BradshawsHairdresser
12-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Only a couple of players different in my top 10 and Labriola's. He had Stautner (who was before my time) and Bettis in his top 10, and I had Mike Webster and Donnie Shell.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15223&start=0 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15223&start=0)

Like Labriola, I didn't include current players, for the same reason as he stated. Troy and Ben have an excellent chance of making my future top 10.

Crash
12-21-2010, 03:30 PM
Labriola's a dumbass. Troy and Ben can retire tomorrow and they'd be in that top 10. So why not include them now?

Flasteel
12-21-2010, 03:48 PM

Most

retarded

thing

ever

written.
:wft

papillon
12-21-2010, 03:52 PM
Labriola's a dumbass. Troy and Ben can retire tomorrow and they'd be in that top 10. So why not include them now?

Well, let's see what we have here.

Let's remove Bettis and Stautner

Potential replacements:

LC Greenwood
Troy Polamalu
Mike Webster
Ben Roethlisberger
Hines Ward (I said potential and he is)
Donnie Shell
Andy Russell

I'll stop there. Are Troy and Ben the best two potential candidates on that list? I think it would be hard to eliminate Webby and LC, but that's just me. That's why we have to wait for the entire body of work. By then it very well might be a slam dunk, but not yet.

Pappy

BradshawsHairdresser
12-21-2010, 03:56 PM

He's a dumbass just because he decided not to include current players?

IF I was to make a list with current and former players, I guess Dawson and Franco would be out of the top 10 and Troy and Ben would be in. Hard to cut such stellar pros out of a top 10, though. Maybe I would have to consider creating a couple of "ties" to keep them in.

If the list was titled "Ten FAVORITE Steelers"?

Rocky Bleier
Hines Ward
Jack Lambert
Donnie Shell
Mel Blount
Terry Bradshaw
Troy Polamalu
Lynn Swann
Jerome Bettis
Rod Woodson
(not necessarily in that order)

Crash
12-21-2010, 04:04 PM

He's a dumbass for the reason WHY he didn't include active players.

Like I said, Troy and Ben could retire tomorrow, and they'd be on the list. Does it matter that they will play 5 more years?

papillon
12-21-2010, 04:22 PM

He's a dumbass for the reason WHY he didn't include active players.

Like I said, Troy and Ben could retire tomorrow, and they'd be on the list. Does it matter that they will play 5 more years?

Are they better than Webster and Greenwood? Webster is talked about as being the GOAT at his position (and, so is Dawson). How do you leave that guy off the list? In your own words earlier, LC Greenwood was better than Joe Greene and Greene is the discussion as GOAT at his position. So, LC, must be d@mn good.

As I said earlier, when their careers are complete it may be a slam dunk. Polamalu will in all likelihood be in the GOAT discussion at safety and while Ben may not enter that discussion he'll probably own enough jewelry to be on the list easily.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
12-21-2010, 04:31 PM
That list is horrible.

Ernie Stautner is the only Steelers player to ever have his #(70) officially retired by the Steelers...

Crash
12-21-2010, 05:23 PM
That list is horrible.

Ernie Stautner is the only Steelers player to ever have his #(70) officially retired by the Steelers...

Never won anything.

RussBII
12-21-2010, 05:56 PM
I don't believe Greene was better than LC. LC was dominant, he was also dominant in big games. Ron Yary was a HOF linemen and LC destroyed him in SB IX.

Greene's career pretty much peaked and then began sliding after he hurt his back in 1975. In fact, many in the Pittsburgh media thought he could be cut in 1978 because he was slowing down rapidly, but then Noll started to rotate him and pro-longed his career.

Ok... i dunno why i'm doing this.

LC is my favorite too, but you can't deny Mean Joe. LC, Dwight, and Ernie were ALL BETTER because Joe Green was taking on 3 blockers at a time. That leaves 2 OL and a TE or two to deal with the rest...

Crash
12-21-2010, 06:01 PM
Three blockers at a time and leaving 2 to block three?

That's hyberbole.

RussBII
12-21-2010, 06:06 PM
Three blockers at a time and leaving 2 to block three?

That's hyberbole.

Perhaps a bit, but he certainly warranted a double team a lot of the time.

Besides, even if you ignore the stats and just go with the "he was instrumental in turning the attitude of the team around" angle, he warrants a spot.

But hey, this is why we all got to pick a top 10 in another thread... Everyone gets their own. Huzzah!!!

I'm giving my bottom 10 here for the hell of it.

Tim Worley
Mitch Berger
Lee Flowers
Brent Alexander
Alonzo Jackson
Troy Edwards
Dwight Stone (how could HE NEVER CATCH THE BALL? He made Ike Taylor look like Lynn Swann)
Kris Brown (screw you buddy)
Kordell Stewart (probably the best player on this list, by man i hated him at times)
Tryone Carter

hawaiiansteel
12-21-2010, 06:09 PM
of course Mean Joe Greene belongs in the Top 10 Steelers list.

and his Super Bowl commercial is one of the greatest ever as well...

http://football.ugo.com/images/superbowl/best-commercials/meanjoe.jpg

Crash
12-21-2010, 06:10 PM
The Steelers were 1-13 when Joe Greene played in 1969.

The fortunes of the team didn't start to change until they drafted a QB #1 overall, and four eventual Hall of Famers (Three on offense) arrived in 1974.

hawaiiansteel
12-21-2010, 06:21 PM

Mean Joe was still the NFL's Rookie of the Year in 1969, in spite of playing on a lousy Steelers team.

Discipline of Steel
12-21-2010, 07:53 PM
...and that, children, is how Joe Greene made All-Pro in 1979.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Joe Greene being on the list is laughable.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion...

...no matter how ridiculous it may be. I still can't get over this post. Most of Crash's posts are great, but then he throws out stuff like this...I think just to :stirpot

papillon
12-21-2010, 10:08 PM
That list is horrible.

Never won anything.

Neither did Dan Marino. Was he any good?

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
12-21-2010, 10:09 PM
I don't think there is any doubt that Mean Joe Greene needs to be included on every credible Top 10 Steelers list...

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/459/138/TFLCD00Z_display_image.jpg?1287720059

"Mean" Joe Greene was the player that started it all in Pittsburgh as Chuck Noll's very first draft pick {4th overall} in the 1969 NFL Draft. He was the NFL's Rookie of the Year on a Steelers team that finished 1-13.

Greene had no tolerance for losing, and his intense desire to win was the cornerstone of the great Steelers teams in the 1970's. He was an innovator in the "stunt 4-3" defense where he would line up at an angle to the offensive lineman-exploding into the backfield and resulting in opponents having to use two and at times three blockers to contain him.

In a 13 year career, Green was selected to the Pro Bowl in 10 consecutive years and was also First Team All-Pro for five of those seasons.

He was ranked number 14 on the Sporting News' list of the 100 Greatest Football Players, and was selected to the NFL's 75th Anniversary All-Time Team.

Joe Greene was inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame in 1987.

papillon
12-21-2010, 10:16 PM

The fortunes of the team didn't start to change until they drafted a QB #1 overall, and four eventual Hall of Famers (Three on offense) arrived in 1974.

No, in 1972 they took the undefeated Dolphins into the 4th quarter before losing 21-17. The Steeler fortunes were changing; the class of 1974 added to an already good team future HOFers and the Super Bowl run began.

Greene started the transformation in 1969, whether you like it or not.

Pappy

pfelix73
12-21-2010, 10:29 PM
Here's mine:

1. Joe Greene
2. Mel Blount
3. Jack Lambert
4. Ernie Stautner
5. Franco Harris
6. Rod Woodson
7. Jack Ham
8. Mike Webster
9. Terry Bradshaw
10. Hines Ward

Wow, this is difficlut to do......Now If I was doing a team like the Bengals, I'd be hard-pressed to get to 5.

We're lucky and blessed to be Steeler fans!

:tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

papillon
12-21-2010, 11:21 PM
I don't think there is any doubt that Mean Joe Greene needs to be included on every credible Top 10 Steelers list...

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/459/138/TFLCD00Z_display_image.jpg?1287720059

"Mean" Joe Greene was the player that started it all in Pittsburgh as Chuck Noll's very first draft pick {4th overall} in the 1969 NFL Draft. He was the NFL's Rookie of the Year on a Steelers team that finished 1-13.

Greene had no tolerance for losing, and his intense desire to win was the cornerstone of the great Steelers teams in the 1970's. He was an innovator in the "stunt 4-3" defense where he would line up at an angle to the offensive lineman-exploding into the backfield and resulting in opponents having to use two and at times three blockers to contain him.

In a 13 year career, Green was selected to the Pro Bowl in 10 consecutive years and was also First Team All-Pro for five of those seasons.

He was ranked number 14 on the Sporting News' list of the 100 Greatest Football Players, and was selected to the NFL's 75th Anniversary All-Time Team.

Joe Greene was inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame in 1987.

Three blockers what a bunch of hyperbole. :P

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
12-22-2010, 11:44 AM

The Cowboys were 1-15 when Troy Aikman played in 1989.

The Colts were 3-13 when Peyton Manning played in 1998.

It must be laughable that Troy Aikman and Peyton Manning would be considered to be top 10 Cowboys or Colts.

ikestops85
12-22-2010, 12:20 PM

It must be laughable that Troy Aikman and Peyton Manning would be considered to be top 10 Cowboys or Colts.

http://findreallove.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/shooting-fish-in-a-barrel.jpg

Crash
12-22-2010, 01:21 PM

#14 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too high for Joe Greene.

Like I said, 1975-1976 his career peaked, after that he began to slow down. He was rotating at DL at that point with Furness, and later Gary Dunn.

BURGH86STEEL
12-22-2010, 01:32 PM

#14 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too high for Joe Greene.

Like I said, 1975-1976 his career peaked, after that he began to slow down. He was rotating at DL at that point with Furness, and later Gary Dunn.

You continue to "Crash" into walls in this debate. Joe was the best defender on the greatest defense of all time. He should be ranked in the top 10 of all time players.

RuthlessBurgher
12-22-2010, 01:42 PM

http://findreallove.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/shooting-fish-in-a-barrel.jpg

Fish in a barrel, my man. Town's the fish, people are the barrel. POW! Fish in a barrel.

http://www.hboasia.com/images/posters/378x195/tommy_boy.jpg?1264407702

Crash
12-22-2010, 01:45 PM
You continue to "Crash" into walls in this debate. Joe was the best defender on the greatest defense of all time. He should be ranked in the top 10 of all time players.

Joe Greene wasn't better than Lambert or LC IMO. You could also make a case for Jack Ham.

Lambert was still All Pro AFTER the Steel Curtain had long since retired.

If he was just JOE GREENE, and not "Mean Joe" Greene. IMO his ranking wouldn't be as high as it is.

skyhawk
12-23-2010, 02:08 AM
Ok, Crash, you are entitled to your opinion, and I 80% of the time agree with your posts. But Greene MUST be on the list. Other players followed his lead of pure determination, and just plain nasty demeanor from the very beginning. He was crazy and mean.

Noll HAD to turn his cheek most of the time when Greene broke rules and drew flags--he knew he was a MAJOR key to success. Then, Just because Noll drafted more HOF's on D doesn't make his presence early on any less deserving.

LC Greenwood did not have that kind of franchise turning presence even though he may have been just as talented.. And I agree with other posters here, Greene drew 2 and 3 blockers that helped open up LC. Just like Casey Hampton does now and has made Potsie (and the entire LB crew) the great LB he has been.

Oh, and BTW, I agree with the list 100%. If current players are allowed, Ben and Troy go on it. :Agree

hawaiiansteel
12-23-2010, 07:02 PM
Oh, and BTW, I agree with the list 100%. If current players are allowed, Ben and Troy go on it. :Agree

not to mention Hines Ward, of course! :lol:

Shoe
12-23-2010, 10:40 PM
Dawson is too high. So is Bettis IMO. Both are very good teammates, but we aren't building a team here. I think what we are shooting for our 10 biggest DIFFERENCE-MAKERS in team history. Guys that basically elevated the team to a great level... Greg Lloyd is the prime example.

Now, I can't argue if you put Woodson on the list from the 90's teams, but certainly if you are putting another guy from the 90's, I'd put Lloyd over Dawson.

No one is saying Dawson wasn't great... and if you want to say he is greater than Lloyd was at his position, fine. But Lloyd made our defense play in his image--bodies flying around, mean, NASTY. Woodson didn't. Kirkland didn't. By and large, it was Lloyd. (It goes back to my theory that you can have all the quality players on a D, but if you don't have that one psychopath on your D, it will never achieve greatness.)

A Steeler Top 10 would/should include Lloyd, Hines Ward, Ben... Joe Greene, Bradshaw, certainly Lambert, probably Blount & Franco... and then it's a free-for-all with the remaining three spots (Polamalu, Bettis, Stautner, Ham, Swann, Stallworth, Dawson, Web).

Shoe
12-23-2010, 10:46 PM
That list is horrible.

He did state that "you will notice there are no active players on this list because in my opinion it’s impossible to measure a career accurately until it’s over, and there are too many outstanding bodies of work already completed to get involved with projections."

That's a stupid reasoning and a cop out. How you not gonna consider any of the current guys--WHO HAVE BROUGHT HALF THE RINGS THE 70'S GUYS BROUGHT--just because they're still playing?

Shoe
12-23-2010, 10:50 PM
Wow, this is difficlut to do......Now If I was doing a team like the Bengals, I'd be hard-pressed to get to 5.

For ****s and giggles, here's my Bungle Top 10 (in no particular oder): Munoz, Boomer, Ken Anderson... uh... OK I'm done.

pick6
12-23-2010, 11:27 PM
Be warned Steeler Nation, this appears to be a clever attempt by Roger Goodell to get us to argue amongst ourselves. Perfectly timed so that we might loss our collective mojo just prior to the playoffs. It is utterly impossible to have a top 10 for the Steelers, that number couldn't begin to tell the story. Nice try Rog.

I will say this, if the Patriots tried to do this there would be about 2 people on the list and the team filmographer would have to be number 1.

RuthlessBurgher
12-23-2010, 11:58 PM

For ****s and giggles, here's my Bungle Top 10 (in no particular oder): Munoz, Boomer, Ken Anderson... uh... OK I'm done.

In all seriousness, who else would be considered? Carl Pickens? James Brooks? David Fulcher? I'm running out of names fast. Tim Krumrie? Cris Collinsworth? Takeo Spikes? Ochocinco? Ickey Woods? I think we need Jom's input...I'm tapped out. It's much easier to do a top 10 first round busts for them.

Djfan
12-24-2010, 02:40 AM
Crash, sometimes you just have to put down the crack pipe.

MJG was a game/history/franchise changer.

So there. You're wrong.

hawaiiansteel
12-24-2010, 02:47 AM
Crash, sometimes you just have to put down the crack pipe.

MJG was a game/history/franchise changer.

So there. You're wrong.

:Agree

http://flecom.fragmachines.com/funny/crack_pipe.jpg

papillon
12-24-2010, 03:14 PM
What is unbelievable about the Steeler top 10 is that if you're not in the HOF or on the verge you aren't on the list. That's incredible when you think about it.

There are HOFers that don't make the top 10 on some Steeler fans' lists. Think about that for a minute. You have to have been considered the best of the best during your time to be on the Steeler top 10 list.

There isn't another team that is even remotely close to that. The Steelers have three guys playing right now that will be in the HOF at some point (Ben, Troy and Hines). How hard will it become at that point to put together a top 10?

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
12-24-2010, 03:51 PM
Bires: Picking the Steelers' top 10 a daunting task

By: Mike Bires Beaver County Times
Friday December 24, 2010

PITTSBURGH -- With so many legendary players in the franchise’s storied history, it’s very difficult to name “The Top 10 Pittsburgh Steelers.” But that’s what the NFL Network will do tonight.

For the past three years, the NFL Network has produced a weekly “Top 10” documentary series that’s both educational and entertaining. Topics range from the top 10 passing combinations in NFL history to the top 10 linebacker corps ever to the top 10 shortest players.

This evening at 8 p.m., the NFL Network will present its list of the top 10 Steelers of all-time.

That’s a daunting task because there are no less than 12 inductees already in the Pro Football Hall of Fame who spent most of their careers with the Steelers.

As part of its selection process, the NFL Network asked a number of media types who cover the Steelers _ your truly included _ to submit a top-10 Steelers list.

So without further adieu, here’s mine:

1. Joe Greene (1969-1981)

When the Steelers turned to Chuck Noll as coach in 1969, his first pick was a defensive tackle out of North Texas State hardly anyone heard of. “Who’s Joe Greene” was the headline in one of the Pittsburgh newspapers.

But Greene would go on to become perhaps the most dominant player of his era. He was the rock on which the Steelers built their dynasty of the 1970s. He was the NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 1972 and ’74. He played in 10 Pro Bowls, a franchise record. He also starred in a classic Coke commercial in 1979.

2. Jack Lambert (1974-84)

If Greene was the greatest player in Steelers’ history, Lambert may be the most favorite Steeler ever. Fans loved to cheer for the guy called “Count Dracula in Cleats.” He was a nine-time Pro Bowler and the NFL’s Defensive MVP in 1976. The Steelers’ defense in ’76 is regarded by many as the best defense in NFL history, and it was Lambert who was MVP of that defense.

3. Mel Blount (1970-1983)

Talk about a freak of nature. At 6-foot-3 and 205 pounds, Blount was huge for a cornerback. He was strong and tough, but also quick and fast. The NFL’s Defensive Player of the Year in 1975, he was so dominating that the NFL had to change its rules on pass defense after the '77 season. Blount holds the franchise record for career interceptions with 57.

4. Rod Woodson (1987-96)

Woodson spent 17 seasons in the NFL but it was the 10 he spent with the Steelers that defined him. In 1994 when the NFL announced its 75th Anniversary Team, only five active players were on it. One of them was Woodson, a six-time Pro Bowler and the NFL’s Defensive Player of the Year in 1993.

5. Franco Harris (1972-83)

Talk about making an instant impact. After he was drafted with the 13th overall pick of the 1972 Draft, Harris earned NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year honors. In a year when the Steelers qualified for the NFL playoffs for the first time ever, Harris rushed for 1,055 yards. He also caught the “Immaculate Reception” in a 13-7 playoff win over the Oakland Raiders.

Harris ranks 12th on the NFL’s all-time rushing list.

6. Ernie Stautner (1950-63)

Because it’s been 47 years since Stautner’s last game as a Steeler, a lot of fans don’t know much about him. But in his 14-year career, he played in nine Pro Bowls. That’s just one less than Greene’s 10. Stautner is also the only Steeler to have his number officially retired. He wore No. 70.

7. Ben Roethlisberger (2004-present)

Why Roethlisberger and not Terry Bradshaw?

That’s a tough call. After all, Bradshaw has four Super Bowl rings and an 8-2 record in AFC championship games and Super Bowls. But Roethlisberger already has two Super Bowl rings and he’s 4-1 in conference championship games and Super Bowls.

I just think Roethlisberger, who’s only 28, is a better overall QB that Bradshaw. In his career, Bradshaw threw 212 TD passes but also 210 interceptions. His career passer rating was 70.9. Roethlisberger has a much better TD to interception ratio _ 141 to 86 going into Thursday night's game against Carolina _ and a better career passer rating of 91.9 pass. By the time he’s done playing, Roethlisberger will hold virtually every team passing record.

8. Jack Ham (1971-1982)

Technically speaking, Ham may have been the most fundamentally sound linebacker the Steelers have ever had. At one point in his career, he earned Pro Bowl honors eight straight seasons (1973-80).

9. Troy Polamalu (2003-present)

Since the NFL first chose its Defensive Player of the Year in 1971, six times has a Steeler won the award. There’s a good chance Polamalu could be the seventh this year.

A strong safety who’s been to five Pro Bowls, Polamalu is one of the most dynamic playmakers in the league. Plus, he’s one of the most humble players to ever wear a Steelers’ uniform.

10. Hines Ward (1998-present)

Why Ward and not Lynn Swann and/or John Stallworth, who are both in the Hall of Fame?

Ward, who’s 34, is the Steelers’ all-time leading receiver. He has two Super Bowl rings. And he’s one of the best blocking wide receivers ever.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sport ... -task.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1373/2010/december/24/bires-picking-the-steelers-top-10-a-daunting-task.html)

papillon
12-24-2010, 04:12 PM
That's a pretty good list, but I think that Webster or Dawson have to be on the list.

Pappy

Dee Dub
12-24-2010, 11:42 PM

See Crash, something that everyone else can see that you cannot see yourself is that you base many of your beliefs on something personel, instead of facts or what a player actually does on a football field. You are probably the only Steeler fan in the history of the Steelers who doesnt think Joe Greene should be on this list, let alone not the greatest of all-time. And you base this on the fact that he didnt sign autographs. Hilarious!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And it is flat out ridiculous to think L.C. Greenwood was better than Joe Greene. Joe Greene got the double team not L.C.

fordfixer
12-26-2010, 01:05 AM
Sports History/December 26: Mean Joe Greene of the Pittsburgh Steelers
Written by Jim Bankes
Saturday, 25 December 2010 12:25
Dec. 26: Mean Joe Greene
http://sportschatplace.com/sports-histo ... elers.html (http://sportschatplace.com/sports-history/today-in-sports-history/43680-sports-historydecember-26-mean-joe-greene-of-the-pittsburgh-steelers.html)

http://sportschatplace.com/images/stories/GreeneJoe14.jpg

Greene stood as the heart and soul of the feared Steel Curtain Defense.

December 26, 2010: Remembering Mean Joe Greene
AFTER SPITTING IN HIS FACE, HE CHALLENGED DICK BUTKUS TO A FIGHT.

On September 1, 1979, Greene appeared in what TV Guide magazine listed as one of the top ten commercials of all time. After a young boy gives him a Coke, Mean Joe smiles and gives him his jersey. This gentle, kind persona accurately reflects Greene’s personal life.

But on the field, a different Joe Greene emerged. Big, strong, fast, and quick, he lived up to his nickname and played with a fury seldom seen. In 1971, he went after Dick Butkus of the Chicago Bears, the NFL’s most feared player. After what he considered a dirty hit on one of his teammates, Greene raced on the field, spat in Butkus’ face, and challenged him to a fight. The referees prevented the mayhem of course, but had it happened, it might have rivaled the Roman gladiators.

The 1970s Steelers’ front four of Greene, Ernie Holmes, Dwight White, and L.C. Greenwood came to be known as the Steel Curtain. Greene made the Pro Football Hall of Fame as did three men behind the front four – linebackers Jack Lambert and Jack Ham, as well as cornerback Mel Blount. But make no mistake, Greene was the undisputed leader of the group.

The Steel Curtain reached its zenith in 1976 after the Steelers started 1-4 and lost their quarterback Terry Bradshaw. Then, sparked by Greene’s relentless ferocity, the defense dominated the next nine games, allowing just two touchdowns and 3.1 points per game. The Steelers went on to repeat as Super Bowl champions, and won again in 1979 and 1980.

Four rings for Mean Joe, perhaps the greatest defensive tackle the game has ever known.

Get Your Daily Dose of "Today In Sports History" Every Day here

BradshawsHairdresser
12-26-2010, 04:07 AM
The Steel Curtain reached its zenith in 1976 after the Steelers started 1-4 and lost their quarterback Terry Bradshaw. Then, sparked by Greene’s relentless ferocity, the defense dominated the next nine games, allowing just two touchdowns and 3.1 points per game. The Steelers went on to repeat as Super Bowl champions, and won again in 1979 and 1980.

The Steelers didn't win a championship at the end of the 1976 season. I always thought that was a shame, after that turnaround and dominating defensive season. They had won two Super Bowls PRIOR to that season (IX and X), but in the season referenced above, they lost the AFC Championship game to the Raiders (Franco and Rocky were both out due to injuries). At the end of the 1978 and 1979 seasons, they won Super Bowls again (XIII and XIV).

papillon
12-26-2010, 10:27 AM

The Steelers didn't win a championship at the end of the 1976 season. I always thought that was a shame, after that turnaround and dominating defensive season. They had won two Super Bowls PRIOR to that season (IX and X), but in the season referenced above, they lost the AFC Championship game to the Raiders (Franco and Rocky were both out due to injuries). At the end of the 1978 and 1979 seasons, they won Super Bowls again (XIII and XIV).

Chuck Noll just didn't have enough time to put in a one back offense using Reggie Harrison I believe. The Raiders beat them pretty good in that game. It happens.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
12-28-2010, 09:39 PM
NFL Network special on Steelers misses mark on two counts

TUESDAY, DECEMBER 28, 2010 03:00 PM WRITTEN BY BOB SMIZIK

Len Pasquarelli shouldn’t need an introduction to most fans of the NFL. He is a Pittsburgh guy who had to leave town when he couldn’t find newspaper work -- shame on the Press and P-G for that -- and finally ended up at the Atlanta Journal Constitution covering the Falcons and then to Internet work. He’s one of the best in the business and now works at The Sports Xchange.

Like many of us, he was taken aback by some of the oversights on The NFL Network’s show about the 10 greatest Steelers. But he was as annoyed with who the network failed to interview as much as with who it omitted from the top ten list. -- Bob Smizik

By Len Pasquarelli
The Sports Xchange

Forget that Hall of Fame members Jack Ham and Mike Webster somehow didn’t make the cut on The NFL Network’s list of the top 10 Pittsburgh Steelers players of all-time for the Christmas Eve special.

Ignore the fact that Ernie Stautner and Jack Butler didn’t even merit a mention. Or that, we’re guessing for the sake of propriety, the filmmakers didn’t interview Dan Rooney, or Art Rooney Jr., or Art Rooney II, the former of whom has witnessed first-hand virtually every player who has ever graced the Black and Gold. Or that the top 10 Steelers were apparently the top 10 from the Super Bowl Era only.

Such lists – and here I pause to damn my favorite late-night talk show host, David Letterman, for having popularized a quantitative menu now embraced by editors of every media stripe – are subjective, after all. They are the New Age substitute for the old neighborhood bar debate, because it’s not P.C. anymore to wander down to the corner establishment and belly up to the bar for a cold Iron City. Top 10 lists drive traffic because of the inexplicable-but-fervent knee-jerk commotion created by them. As a former boss apprised me that, in the Internet Age, traffic is significantly more revered than content.

This is the sorry devolution, folks, of journalism: It’s a whole lot easier now, and far more profitable, to conjure up some top 10 list that percolates emotions than it is to pen a few well-crafted paragraphs to do the same.

And so, to all the good ‘burghers getting worked up over what are perceived as snubs by the NFL’s pricey electronic arm, well, save your bile.

Here’s the real failure of the Steelers’ top 10 list: The absence of either Vito Stellino or Ed Bouchette, or both, as commentators on The NFL Network’s choices. Between the two – and, in the interest of full disclosure, I concede that both are among my closest and most admired friends in this ever-changing business, and so, yeah, we’re prejudiced – they have chronicled the Steelers for roughly 40 years. And as latter-day Boswells, they have witnessed and reported on all six of the franchise’s Super Bowl victories.

But for whatever reason, The NFL Network producers didn’t have a single shred of celluloid of Stellino or Bouchette musing on the choices. Oh, they had a bunch of NFL observers, some of them local, most from other cities. And most of them are solid guys, good buddies, known for a long time. The others are certainly expert, very knowledgeable about the NFL, and are mostly admired by yours truly.

But it would have been a lot more legitimate to The Steelers Nation had the network interviewed, say, Joe Gordon or Ed Kiely, longtime team public relations directors, and regarded as unofficial team historians. And it would have validated the effort even more had Bouchette and Stellino been included.

People make much, and rightly so, of the impressive subset of standout centers the club has employed over the past three-plus decades. But faithful readers have been informed of the Steelers’ exploits almost as seamlessly by Stellino and Bouchette, and they should have had a voice in the project. Not in choosing the 10, because neither would have agreed to such an exercise, but rather in elaborating on it.

I live in a city, Atlanta, where they generally treat history as if it were the modern reminder of Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman’s torching the town. My wife, also a Pittsburgh native, has accurately suggested that, once a building gets to be 20 years old in Atlanta, it is either imploded, exploded, or reduced to wrecking ball grist. In my hometown, they embrace history (sometimes to a fault, since on my ventures home to Bloomfield, I swear that some of the same guys are standing on the same street corners they did 30 years ago), and the Steelers are part of the history. And there aren’t many familiar with the history of the Steelers more than the tandem of Stellino and Bouchette.

The former is a dean of NFL reporting, some insist the conscience of the league. Other than his restless knee syndrome (insider’s allusion for all those who have sat in a press conference and watched Stellino grill the commissioner) and perhaps his signature voice, Stellino might seem rather innocent. Unless, of course, you’re on the receiving end of one of his inquisitions. No one dares ask the difficult question, or ignores the elephant in a room, more than Stellino does. At the same time, few are as thorough as Bouchette, a dogged reporter and shamefully underrated writer.

In fairness to The NFL Network, Bouchette related that, at the annual NFL meetings last March in Orlando, a representative from the top 10 Steelers project did ask him to sit down for a taping. But it was on the day head coach Mike Tomlin acceded to a Bouchette interview request, so there was a conflict. Bouchette asked if someone could get back to him, and no one ever did.

Stellino, who was unaware of the show, was never even asked, he said.

One can argue that The NFL Network was wide right in not including players such as Stautner, Butler, Ham, Webster, Andy Russell, Dermontti Dawson, L.C. Greenwood, Louis Lipps, Donnie Shell, Mike Wagner, Ben Roethlisberger, Buddy Dial, Jimmy Orr, John Henry Johnson, or others we’ve probably missed. But one of the beauties of the Steelers is that they had so many worthy players through the years that a simple top 10 list couldn’t possibly suffice.

But this much can’t be argued: By not including Bouchette and Stellino in some role in the show, the network fumbled at the goal-line.

http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazet ... two-counts (http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/26763-nfl-network-special-on-steelers-misser-mark-on-two-counts)