PDA

View Full Version : The torch has been passed

Oviedo
12-20-2010, 04:21 PM
Hines is no longer a impact receiver. He is smart enough and still has enough skills to find open spots in the defense and make key catches but after he catches the ball he isn't going very far. He has just totally lost his explosiveness and ability to separate from defenders.

While Hines is still valuable in certain situations, I think Arians realizes that the big play guys are Wallace, Sanders and Brown in that order. They are the guys who have the potential to break a long gain for a game changer once we get into the play offs. I think that is why they are seeing so much more time on the field. I doubt that many would have thought the future of our WR would be so bright so quick. The passing of the torch has occurred already and hopefully it produces more results in the play offs.

Crash
12-20-2010, 04:23 PM
And the Steelers must realize this and install Field Turf. Don't let that pig slop they run in hamper their own skill..

Oviedo
12-20-2010, 04:27 PM
And the Steelers must realize this and install Field Turf. Don't let that pig slop they run in hamper their own skill..

I'd be totally OK with that but doubt it happens. Tomlin has changed this team to a speed, quickness team and our field doesn't always maximize our ability to use those talents. I think the field limits both our offense and defense.

I don't think it is a coincidence that we are 4-3 at home this year and 6-1 on the road.

RuthlessBurgher
12-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Where was this thread last week when Hines had 8 catches for 115 yards?

Where was it 2 weeks before that when Hines had 7 catches for 107 yards?

Reactionary, what-have-you-done-for-me-lately "analysis" at its finest. :roll:

Djfan
12-20-2010, 04:51 PM
Yeah, I don't buy it. He is far from the retirement home.

Oviedo
12-20-2010, 04:59 PM

No one is saying that Hines is worthless, but week in and week out he isn't going to make the plays he use to be able to make. That is all that is being said. It is just an acknowledgement that we have other more explosive and potential game breakers at WR than Hines. My post clearly states that Hines still has a valuable role but that role is not the same as in the past.

RuthlessBurgher
12-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Hines was never an explosive playmaker. He's a guy that works hard, find holes in zones, and makes tough catches. Plus he gets divorced, gets into shady business practices, and undermines everyone in the organization to fulfill his own massive ego, apparantly. Had to throw those last few in there to save Crash the time of making another post.

papillon
12-20-2010, 05:16 PM
Hines was never an explosive playmaker. He's a guy that works hard, find holes in zones, and makes tough catches. Plus he gets divorced, gets into shady business practices, and undermines everyone in the organization to fulfill his own massive ego, apparantly. Had to throw those last few in there to save Crash the time of making another post.

:Bow :Bow :Bow

Pappy

Smashmouth
12-21-2010, 02:06 AM
I think it's really cool that they play high school championship games at Heinz (they still do don't they?), but that turf takes a beating. It's time to change. :2c

hawaiiansteel
12-21-2010, 02:11 AM
I think it's really cool that they play high school championship games at Heinz (they still do don't they?), but that turf takes a beating. It's time to change. :2c

personally, I think it's time for them to find a new place to play those high school championship games.

unless the Steelers want to install some some new Field Turf, of course... :stirpot

Crash
12-21-2010, 02:36 AM
It's everything. PITT, Steelers. HS games.

You can't have a field like that with grass.

Our players, despite what they say in the press hate that surface.

We have the best corps of WR's we've had since 1995.

The surface hinders their play.

Jooser
12-21-2010, 03:20 AM

:Agree (where's the I Agree With Ruthless smiley, heh?)

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/doggy.gif

fordfixer
12-21-2010, 04:07 AM
Wallace receives Steelers' top threat torch

By: Andrew Chiappazzi
Beaver County Times
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sport ... torch.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1373/2010/december/20/wallace-receives-steelers-top-threat-torch.html)
Monday December 20, 2010 11:55 PM

PITTSBURGH — Mike Wallace stood in the midst of the swarm of players, coaches and media members scurrying around on the Heinz Field turf, waiting for his former mentor. Santonio Holmes finally broke free from the crowd, spotted Wallace and gave him a hug.

There was no official torch-passing moment from Holmes to Wallace last year or over the summer, but that brief moment Sunday following the Jets’ 22-17 defeat of the Steelers might have been the closest we’ll ever get to a true changing of the guard. Holmes’ departure came too quick for any other moment, a sudden exile to New York for a meager fifth-round draft pick after his off-the-field issues became too much for the Steelers to take.

But his departure has been eased by the emergence of Wallace, who in his second year has become the Steelers’ leading receiver and one of the most dangerous weapons in the NFL. Going up against two of the best cornerbacks in the NFL Sunday, Wallace had one of his best games of the season, hauling in seven passes for 102 yards.

“I always feel like nobody can stop me. I don’t care who it is,” Wallace said. “Anytime we get on the field, I feel like if we execute we can be the best. It might be the wrong way of thinking, but I don’t care who likes it or how anybody feels about it.”

Is it a cocky approach? Sure, but what receiver in the NFL isn’t a little cocky? Wallace is certainly backing it up with his play. His performance Sunday pushed him over 1,000 receiving yards in a season for the first time in his career; his 53 receptions leads the team (Hines Ward has 51); he’s sixth in the NFL in receiving yards this year; and he’s second in the league in cards per catch (19.8) after leading the league in that category as a rookie.

Some of the credit might belong to Holmes, who helped Wallace learn the ropes as a rookie last year.

“I learned from him and Hines together…just learning how to be a champion,” Wallace said. “Even though we didn’t make the playoffs, I never saw those guys hang their hands, never saw those guys pout or anything.”

On a more technical level, Wallace said having Holmes in front of him last year reinforced the importance of being sharp on every play.

“I learned how to run routes from him. I learned how to run through things,” Wallace said. “My (yards after the catch) has gone up crazy watching that guy run through the ball. That’s what I want to do.”

What Wallace also wants to do is win, and while the Steelers are 10-4 and headed for the playoffs, he said he’d give all 1,048 of his yards back for a win over the Jets.

“I’d trade it quickly,” he said. “There is not even a second guess at all.”

phillyesq
12-21-2010, 08:45 AM
It's everything. PITT, Steelers. HS games.

You can't have a field like that with grass.

Our players, despite what they say in the press hate that surface.

We have the best corps of WR's we've had since 1995.

The surface hinders their play.

How do we have the best group of receivers since 2005? Are you serious.

Last year, with Holmes, Ward and Wallace was better, unless you're going to suggest that Sanders is somehow better than Holmes. This group of receivers has a lot of potential, but it's far from the best group the Steelers have had.

Wallace still seems to get open just fine. Crash, while I hate to point this out to you, Ben missed him a few times on Sunday.

Oviedo
12-21-2010, 09:52 AM

personally, I think it's time for them to find a new place to play those high school championship games.

unless the Steelers want to install some some new Field Turf, of course... :stirpot

They actually completely resodded the field after the HS championships but grass still does not grow under snow in 30 degree temperatures...duh!!!!!

flippy
12-21-2010, 09:57 AM
I don't see the Hines Ward drop off. He still looks like he always does to me.

He's always been slow but super effective.

And I expect him to come up big in the playoffs.

Ghost
12-21-2010, 10:02 AM
And yet with 2 plays from the 10 yard line with the game on the line, not a single WR found a way to get remotely open and the throws went to a back up TE. Pathetic.

RuthlessBurgher
12-21-2010, 10:19 AM
And yet with 2 plays from the 10 yard line with the game on the line, not a single WR found a way to get remotely open and the throws went to a back up TE. Pathetic.

The first throw was intended for Sanders, who was open in the back of the end zone, but Spaeth thought the pass was for him, and ended up breaking it up. If Spaeth wasn't there, Manny would have likely had an easy game-winning TD there.