PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Polamalu not likely to play vs. Jets

NJ-STEELER
12-17-2010, 01:46 AM
Troy Polamalu, who has made game-changing defensive plays in each of the past three games, is not expected to play Sunday against the New York Jets after aggravating his lower-leg injury on a 45-yard interception return for a touchdown against the Cincinnati Bengals.

Polamalu has not practiced the past two days, which has been the routine for the five-time Pro Bowl safety since he was injured last month. But he has always practiced Friday and played Sunday -- until now.

The Steelers do not have to list Polamalu's official injury status for the game until today after practice. He will be replaced in the starting lineup by Ryan Mundy or Will Allen.

Despite aggravating his injury in the second quarter against the Bengals, Polamalu never missed a play and even had a second interception in the fourth quarter.

His teammates have suggested that one of the reasons he lateraled the ball to cornerback Bryant McFadden on the second interception -- a move that upset coach Mike Tomlin and defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau -- was because Polamalu did not want to continue to run with his injury, especially because it could have been a lengthy return.

Polamalu, who has four of his team-high six interceptions during the team's four-game winning streak, has been a defensive hero lately.

His diving interception at the Steelers' 2 in the final three minutes in Buffalo prevented the Bills from tying the game or scoring the go-ahead touchdown in the Steelers' overtime victory. The following week, his strip sack on Rats quarterback Joe Flacco led to the winning touchdown with 2:51 remaining in a 13-10 victory in Baltimore. And his interception return for touchdown against the Bengals tied the score and ignited the Steelers in a 23-7 victory.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10351/11 ... z18LPBZgom

rpmpit
12-17-2010, 02:23 AM
Sux that Troy is hurt. But its great that he could sit the next 3 weeks + the bye week and he'll be good as gold come our first playoff game.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-17-2010, 09:14 AM
Not one of the top games I would want him to miss. However, I would rather have a healthy Troy for the playoffs.

So....Give a helmet to Butler and put him in the dime package.

A loss to the Jets doesn't hurt us as long as we win out no matter what the Ravens do. The Browns game right not is hug for the tie breaker...Who would have predicted that! If the Ravens lose at 1:00, the Steelers could still win the division even if they lose to the Jets & Carolina...As long as the Steelers beat the Browns...Just to shed some light. I don't think we will lose against the Panthers or Browns. This one will be tough given the Jets state and the offensive struggles by the Steelers. I'm hoping the offense...I mean BA....Really finds something this week!!!

Oviedo
12-17-2010, 09:20 AM
He has been the game winner the past two games. Unfortunately I think this could mean the win streak ends. Neither Allen or Mundy can play to his level especially the latter. I expect we will see lots of Cover 2 by the safeties which will make Sanchez's reads much easier to make.

This is terrible news.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-17-2010, 09:32 AM
He has been the game winner the past two games. Unfortunately I think this could mean the win streak ends. Neither Allen or Mundy can play to his level especially the latter. I expect we will see lots of Cover 2 by the safeties which will make Sanchez's reads much easier to make.

This is terrible news.
:Agree

Have we ever been more injured than we are this year?

BradshawsHairdresser
12-17-2010, 09:39 AM
This sucks.

Jets 17, Steelers 13.

Kiss the bye good-bye.

(Hope I'm wrong.)

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-17-2010, 09:42 AM

This is terrible news.

It definately doesn't help my confidence. I feel better having Allen or Mundy in this game rather than...<cough> Tyrone Carter.

I think the key now is to put the pressure on Sanchez and make him make quick decisions. Don't let the WRs run around in the secondary. Troy covers alot of ground in his zone. Don't give Sanchez the time to find the soft spot. 3rd and 10 or more...2 deep / man under. 3rd and shorter or anytime the nickel or dime hits the field...Cover 0 (replace SS with CB & Clark is only S) or Cover 1 (Clark only S).

Just in case some don't know. Cover 0 is all out man-to-man. Cover 1 is man-to-man with a single high S. Everyone else is in the box on designed blitz. If there are eligible receivers at TE or RB...The defender in man is still in the box to confuse blocking scheme. The defender covering the RB still comes and peels off in coverage if he relases. The defender covering the TE covers him on the LOS like he is coming and jams his release if he tries to go in pattern and occupies him to block if he stays in.

And by the way...That is how you have to play the Pats. Make the football players play football. Make Brady make a decision presnap or quickly after snap and hit him. If the Steelers do their homework, the will guess right occasionally. It only takes 1 or 2 guesses to change the outcome of a ball game. If Brady is the man...Make him be the man. Make the Pats WRs win the individually battles. Don't let Brady & Belichek beat the system. They can win that battle more often than not.

Oviedo
12-17-2010, 09:48 AM

This is terrible news.

It definately doesn't help my confidence. I feel better having Allen or Mundy in this game rather than...<cough> Tyrone Carter.

I think the key now is to put the pressure on Sanchez and make him make quick decisions. Don't let the WRs run around in the secondary. Troy covers alot of ground in his zone. Don't give Sanchez the time to find the soft spot. 3rd and 10 or more...2 deep / man under. 3rd and shorter or anytime the nickel or dime hits the field...Cover 0 (replace SS with CB & Clark is only S) or Cover 1 (Clark only S).

Just in case some don't know. Cover 0 is all out man-to-man. Cover 1 is man-to-man with a single high S. Everyone else is in the box on designed blitz. If there are eligible receivers at TE or RB...The defender in man is still in the box to confuse blocking scheme. The defender covering the RB still comes and peels off in coverage if he relases. The defender covering the TE covers him on the LOS like he is coming and jams his release if he tries to go in pattern and occupies him to block if he stays in.

And by the way...That is how you have to play the Pats. Make the football players play football. Make Brady make a decision presnap or quickly after snap and hit him. If the Steelers do their homework, the will guess right occasionally. It only takes 1 or 2 guesses to change the outcome of a ball game. If Brady is the man...Make him be the man. Make the Pats WRs win the individually battles. Don't let Brady & Belichek beat the system. They can win that battle more often than not.

Allen gives me some faint hope. Mundy couldn't get into the line up when carter was stinking up the joint last year so he gives me no hope whatsoever.

This is just another flashing red light about how weak our secondary is and how we have no options or quality depth. We need to fix this in the upcoming draft.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-17-2010, 09:48 AM
This sucks.

Jets 17, Steelers 13.

Kiss the bye good-bye.

(Hope I'm wrong.)

Maybe I could help make your weekend better. The Steelers need to suffer 2 losses before we get into tie-breaker over first round bye. To put it in perspective, the Steelers could lose to the Jets and beat the Panthers & Browns. They will win the divsion and have first round bye no matter what anyone else does. Keep the towel swinging Steeler Brother!

Leper Friend
12-17-2010, 09:49 AM
Please god , anyone but Ryan Mundy.There isn't even a term to measure the degree of drop off between Troy and Mundy.I watched Mundy stat 2 games last year in person and for the life of me , I don't know how he's on an NFL roster , let alone being considered to start.

I hate bashing any player at the pro level but I've never seen a guy bring less to the table besides maybe Cedric Wilson.He makes Ryan Clark look all world.I don't care what QB they are facing , this is a sickening feeling , especially with Holmes ready to go.

Why did they sign Will Allen if they aren't ever going to use him ,especially now ? At least he's been somewhat successful at the starting level in the past.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Please god , anyone but Ryan Mundy.There isn't even a term to measure the degree of drop off between Troy and Mundy.I watched Mundy stat 2 games last year in person and for the life of me , I don't know how he's on an NFL roster , let alone being considered to start.

I hate bashing any player at the pro level but I've never seen a guy bring less to the table besides maybe Cedric Wilson.He makes Ryan Clark look all world.I don't care what QB they are facing , this is a sickening feeling , especially with Holmes ready to go.

Why did they sign Will Allen if they aren't ever going to use him ,especially now ? At least he's been somewhat successful at the starting level in the past.

Another thought is maybe Lewis or Gay. I don't know what or who is working where in practice. But I do know both of them saw time as S in camp. If Gay plays S, I would hope they move Clark to SS. Might be too much position switching and I expect it will be Allen at SS. But like I said, I like Allen over Carter. I even like Mundy over Carter from a run defense stand point. Don't know where I stand on Mundy's coverage skills. I agree, based on last year...God I hope he improved!

proudpittsburgher
12-17-2010, 09:53 AM
I still wouldn't rule him out unless he can't walk. At this point in his career, Troy has been given carte blanche as to how he handles his training and injury recovery. IMO, Troy could sit out Friday's practice and still have a major contribution in Sunday's game. If the Steelers win this week against the toughest team left on the schedule, Troy can likely have three straigth weeks off after that, considering he can sit vs. Carolina and Cleveland and then foer the first round bye. The biggest key here is if he can make it worse by playing on it, or if it will just lengthen the time it takes to heal. A lot of healing could be done in three weeks.

Oviedo
12-17-2010, 10:00 AM
I still wouldn't rule him out unless he can't walk. At this point in his career, Troy has been given carte blanche as to how he handles his training and injury recovery. IMO, Troy could sit out Friday's practice and still have a major contribution in Sunday's game. If the Steelers win this week against the toughest team left on the schedule, Troy can likely have three straigth weeks off after that, considering he can sit vs. Carolina and Cleveland and then foer the first round bye. The biggest key here is if he can make it worse by playing on it, or if it will just lengthen the time it takes to heal. A lot of healing could be done in three weeks.

I agree with what you say. From my persepctive this game is close to "must win" because it makes things soooooo much easier for the rest of the season leading up to the play offs.

That is why Troy being out is such a huge hit. The Jets are last last challenging team on the schedule and if we beat them we can rest lots of people and make lots of smart decisions.

Hopefully the offense can pick it up, but I'm not counting on that because I think the Jets will blitz almost every down and Ben will be sacked at least 4-5 times behind the poor OL we have now.

MaxAMillion
12-17-2010, 10:05 AM
This sucks.

Jets 17, Steelers 13.

Kiss the bye good-bye.

(Hope I'm wrong.)

Steelers will win the division and get the bye if they beat the Panthers and the Browns. The Stains game will be more difficult because McCoy will play but it is still a game the Steelers should win.

I would rest a lot of guys this week and try to win the last two games.

Leper Friend
12-17-2010, 10:05 AM

Another thought is maybe Lewis or Gay. I don't know what or who is working where in practice. But I do know both of them saw time as S in camp. If Gay plays S, I would hope they move Clark to SS. Might be too much position switching and I expect it will be Allen at SS. But like I said, I like Allen over Carter. I even like Mundy over Carter from a run defense stand point. Don't know where I stand on Mundy's coverage skills. I agree, based on last year...God I hope he improved!
From what I know of Mundy , he probably is serviceable vs the run. It's his coverage that scares me.He looked always 2 or 3 steps late.

Ike better have his 'A' game sunday or Holmes may go off.

steelblood
12-17-2010, 10:19 AM

This is terrible news.

Yes, but Beating the Panthers and Browns would get us the division and the bye, I believe.
I think Troy needs to play against the Browns. We can probably get by the Panthers without him, but that Browns game should be pretty tight and has huge implications as it is also a divisional game and the key to our tie breaker with the Ravens.

Oviedo
12-17-2010, 10:25 AM

This is terrible news.

Yes, but Beating the Panthers and Browns would get us the division and the bye, I believe.
I think Troy needs to play against the Browns. We can probably get by the Panthers without him, but that Browns game should be pretty tight and has huge implications as it is also a divisional game and the key to our tie breaker with the Ravens.

That is exactly why the Jets games was so important for us. The Browns game will be the Browns' Super Bowl. They will lay it all on the line which means we have to do the same. Those type of games are very dangerous and we have a tendency of blowing those games against teams we should beat easily.

I think with our injuries getting the bye is essential to our play off chances. No bye and I think we could be one and done.

proudpittsburgher
12-17-2010, 10:49 AM

This is terrible news.

That is exactly why the Jets games was so important for us. The Browns game will be the Browns' Super Bowl. They will lay it all on the line which means we have to do the same. Those type of games are very dangerous and we have a tendency of blowing those games against teams we should beat easily.

Remember not too long ago the Browns played in one of those "super bowl" games against the Steelers late in the season, and outside of Ben getting concussed, the Styeelers laid a whoopin on them. While I have no doubt that the Browns will bring it with more intensity than they did against, say, Carolina, there is little they can do with Delhomme at QB and the inability to get any traction on the ground game.

papillon
12-17-2010, 10:52 AM
I don't know Troy's official status for this week, but if the following happens the Steelers can wrap up the bye this weekend. I'm pretty sure this is the case, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sunday at 1:00PM - The Saints beat the Ravens
Sunday at 1:00PM - The Colts beat the Jags
Sunday at 4:15PM - The Steelers beat the Jets

The Steelers will know at game time if they have the bye week in their control. If the first two steps of this scenario play out, then Troy should play if he's capable and the Steelers should go all out to win the game and get the bye. This would in effect give the team three weeks to rehab, get healthy and get ready to play a playoff game.

If they get to 4:00 and the bye isn't within reach then I say sit Troy and try to win the game without him.

Pappy

flippy
12-17-2010, 11:52 AM
We'll be fine. Backups play great for us.

proudpittsburgher
12-17-2010, 11:52 AM
We'll be fine. Backups play great for us.

After all, the standard is the standard. :)

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-17-2010, 12:24 PM
I don't know Troy's official status for this week, but if the following happens the Steelers can wrap up the bye this weekend. I'm pretty sure this is the case, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Pappy

You are killing me Pap! :wink:

That scenario would have the Steelers / Ravens come down for the division 5th tie-breaker (I can't believe you made me go that far. :lol: ) Which is strength of victory which is hard to calculate until the end of the season but I will try to do it on a margin. This will be hard to follow. Although most is very unlikely, you have to come to a mathematical elimination. Right now, the Steelers would have a 10 game lead in the win column if you give them a win to the Jets & and if they lost their last two games over the Ravens with a loss to NO and win their last two in strength of victory. Out of the 11 wins, 7 would be common. Meaning whatever happens win or loss would impact the Steelers and Ravens the same. There are 4 non-common games. The Ravens would have (Denver, Carolina, Houston, and Cleveland). The Steelers would have (Atlanta, Tennessee, Cincinati, and Oakland.) Ravens would beat the Browns & Bengals in this scenario. So at most there could be is an 11 game swing if the teams didn't play each other which isn't the case. Atlanta, Tennessee, Cincinati, and Oakland would have to lose out which isn't happening. But even more important, Denver & Houston have to play each other so that puts the Ravens at best a 10 game margin. Mathematicaly speaking if the Falcons, Titans, Bengals, or Raiders win this weekend...Strength of victory would belong to the Steelers.

If you followed that I'm amazed. I didn't follow it a couple of times.

Steelers win the division with a Ravens loss to NO and a Steelers win against the Jets and a loss by (Broncos,Panthers, Texans, Browns) or a win by (Falcons,Titans, Bengals, Raiders). Many of these teams are playing each other this weekend.

The Steelers would also get a first round bye if the above happen and the Jags lose.

So Pap, you are correct. :tt1

papillon
12-17-2010, 12:56 PM

Pappy

That scenario would have the Steelers / Ravens come down for the division 5th tie-breaker (I can't believe you made me go that far. :lol: ) Which is strength of victory which is hard to calculate until the end of the season but I will try to do it on a margin. This will be hard to follow. Although most is very unlikely, you have to come to a mathematical elimination. Right now, the Steelers would have a 10 game lead in the win column if you give them a win to the Jets & and if they lost their last two games over the Ravens with a loss to NO and win their last two in strength of victory. Out of the 11 wins, 7 would be common. Meaning whatever happens win or loss would impact the Steelers and Ravens the same. There are 4 non-common games. The Ravens would have (Denver, Carolina, Houston, and Cleveland). The Steelers would have (Atlanta, Tennessee, Cincinati, and Oakland.) Ravens would beat the Browns & Bengals in this scenario. So at most there could be is an 11 game swing if the teams didn't play each other which isn't the case. Atlanta, Tennessee, Cincinati, and Oakland would have to lose out which isn't happening. But even more important, Denver & Houston have to play each other so that puts the Ravens at best a 10 game margin. Mathematicaly speaking if the Falcons, Titans, Bengals, or Raiders win this weekend...Strength of victory would belong to the Steelers.

Steelers win the division with a Ravens loss to NO and a Steelers win against the Jets and a loss by (Broncos,Panthers, Texans, Browns) or a win by (Falcons,Titans, Bengals, Raiders). Many of these teams are playing each other this weekend.

The Steelers would also get a first round bye if the above happen and the Jags lose.

So, let me get this straight, you went through all that to ensure that I was correct? I should have never put out the offer to prove me wrong and just insisted it was the case and I would have saved you a lot of research.

Regardless, Lets go Colts, lets go Saints, put 43 on the field and beat the Jets and then begin the preparation for the playoffs and a home game. :P :tt2 :tt2

:Beer :Beer :Beer :Beer

Pappy

BradshawsHairdresser
12-17-2010, 12:58 PM
This sucks.

Jets 17, Steelers 13.

Kiss the bye good-bye.

(Hope I'm wrong.)

Steelers will win the division and get the bye if they beat the Panthers and the Browns. The Stains game will be more difficult because McCoy will play but it is still a game the Steelers should win.

I would rest a lot of guys this week and try to win the last two games.

I'm not optimistic that Troy will be back before the end of the season. Usually when he goes out, it's for several games. Again, I hope I'm wrong, but I've got a feeling we won't see him on the field until the wild-card round.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-17-2010, 01:07 PM

Pappy

So, let me get this straight, you went through all that to ensure that I was correct? I should have never put out the offer to prove me wrong and just insisted it was the case and I would have saved you a lot of research.

Regardless, Lets go Colts, lets go Saints, put 43 on the field and beat the Jets and then begin the preparation for the playoffs and a home game. :P :tt2 :tt2

:Beer :Beer :Beer :Beer

Pappy

lMAO
I just wanted to show how lazy everyone was who is reporting the playoff scenarios for week 15 as:

Pittsburgh clinches AFC North division with:

1) PIT win + BAL loss + PIT clinches strength of victory tiebreaker over BAL

Pittsburgh clinches a first-round bye with:

1) PIT win + BAL loss + PIT clinches strength of victory tiebreaker over BAL and JAX OR
2) PIT win + BAL loss + JAX loss or tie + PIT clinches strength of victory tiebreaker over BAL

Very good chance of this all happening. Would be better if Troy was playing.

Tomlinator
12-17-2010, 01:31 PM
This sucks.

Jets 17, Steelers 13.

Kiss the bye good-bye.

(Hope I'm wrong.)

Or, the offense gets off its *ss and finally puts some points on the board. The D dials up enough pressure to hide Allen/Mundy from screwing anything up and we walk off the field 27-17 winners.

MaxAMillion
12-17-2010, 08:48 PM
This sucks.

Jets 17, Steelers 13.

Kiss the bye good-bye.

(Hope I'm wrong.)

Or, the offense gets off its *ss and finally puts some points on the board. The D dials up enough pressure to hide Allen/Mundy from screwing anything up and we walk off the field 27-17 winners.

You can't get off your ass if you are not any good. The OL is not any good.

skyhawk
12-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Um, with Troy out I see the Steelers winning one more game, and not the Jets.

What can the Steelers get with that?

hawaiiansteel
12-17-2010, 10:55 PM
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 17, 2010

Who I like, Jets version

by Dale Lolley

If Troy Polamalu doesn't play this week - and I'm not sold that he won't - it affects my pick only in which team I think will cover the 5 1/2-point spread in this game.

The Steelers' defense should dominate New York and erratic QB Mark Sanchez.

New York will not be able to run the ball against the Steelers, forcing Sanchez, who has a propensity to try force the ball into some tight spots, to beat them.

Sanchez isn't capable of doing that.

The Steelers will likewise struggle to move the ball as well. But Sanchez will have a turnover or two that will help set up Pittsburgh's offense.

Heath Miller returning to practice Friday is also big for the Steelers. I expect Pittsburgh to use him to help beat New York's seven and eight-man blitzes with quick passes.

Take the Steelers, 17-9, if Polamalu plays.

Take the Steelers, 17-13, if he doesn't.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

BradshawsHairdresser
12-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Um, with Troy out I see the Steelers winning one more game, and not the Jets.

What can the Steelers get with that?

Exactly my thoughts.

Without Troy, I think we beat Carolina, but lose to the Jets and the Browns. We lose the division, and have to take the wild-card route. No bye really hurts us, since we have so many players so banged up.

Again, hopefully I'm wrong...hopefully, we beat the Jets, even without Troy. I just don't think it's likely.

Flasteel
12-18-2010, 11:08 AM
It looks like Troy may miss the rest of the regular season as well. That sucks...badly. If this truly is a Super Bowl-caliber team, then the loss of one player - even one named Troy Polamalu - shouldn't be the difference in any of our final 3 contests.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 14371.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_714371.html)

Achilles injury could sideline Polamalu for rest of regular season
By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, December 18, 2010

Strong safety Troy Polamalu could miss the remainder of the regular season after aggravating his strained right Achilles tendon, sources told the Tribune-Review on Friday.

Polamalu, however, could return for the playoffs.

According to a Steelers source, the length of Polamalu's absence depends on the team's playoff positioning. The Steelers (10-3) hold a one-game lead over Baltimore in the AFC North.

The Steelers face the New York Jets (9-4) on Sunday, then close the regular season against Carolina (1-12) and Cleveland (5-8). They have only three days off before facing Carolina, possibly not enough time for Polamalu's injury to sufficiently heal.

The Cleveland game Jan. 2 might be meaningless for playoff positioning, and the Steelers could opt to sit not only Polamalu but also other starters.

Polamalu is doubtful for Sunday's game against the Jets.

Polamalu was diagnosed with the Achilles injury after the Steelers' 39-26 loss to New England on Nov. 14 but has not missed a game.

He returned an interception 45 yards for a touchdown against Cincinnati last week but aggravated the injury when Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer fell on the back of his leg at the end of the play. Polamalu limped off the field but finished the game.

As he has done since injuring his Achilles, Polamalu missed the first two days of practice this week. But he also sat out yesterday's practice, a change from previous weeks.

Steelers players rarely play if they don't practice Fridays. Polamalu didn't speak with reporters yesterday.

Free safety Ryan Clark practiced at strong safety this week. Ryan Mundy filled Clark's position yesterday.

Polamalu, a leading candidate for the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year honors, has a team-high six interceptions in 13 games this season. He made big plays in each of the Steelers' past three wins that resulted in a touchdown against Cincinnati, set up a touchdown against Baltimore and stopped Buffalo's offense in the red zone.

It is up to defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau to find the right combination of players to replace that productivity.

Last week Clark and Polamalu switched positions after Polamalu aggravated his injury.

Linebacker Lawrence Timmons' role also could increase with Polamalu's absence

MaxAMillion
12-18-2010, 12:11 PM
I disagree...I believe every team has one player that they can ill afford to lose. The Ravens are not the same defense without Ed Reed. The Jets are not the same defense without Revis ans the Steelers are not the same defense without Troy P. The Steelers simply can't do as many things on defense when Troy is on the sideline.

This loss hurts a lot although I never thought this was a Super Bowl team with this OL. I just hope the Steelers can beat the Browns and then one of the other two so that they can get a first round bye.

The injuries are eventually going to catch up to this team. I just hope they can hold on and win the division. That would be quite an accomplishment given all the injuries and player losses.

Flasteel
12-18-2010, 01:15 PM
I disagree...I believe every team has one player that they can ill afford to lose. The Ravens are not the same defense without Ed Reed. The Jets are not the same defense without Revis ans the Steelers are not the same defense without Troy P. The Steelers simply can't do as many things on defense when Troy is on the sideline.

This loss hurts a lot although I never thought this was a Super Bowl team with this OL. I just hope the Steelers can beat the Browns and then one of the other two so that they can get a first round bye.

The injuries are eventually going to catch up to this team. I just hope they can hold on and win the division. That would be quite an accomplishment given all the injuries and player losses.

I realize the importance of Polamalu...especially in the playoffs. My point is that we have a struggling Jet offense at home this week and finish with Carolina then Cleveland. Those are teams we should be able to dispatch without Troy if we are worthy of hoisting the Lombardi.

If you don't think this team is capable of winning the Super Bowl with the O-line problems, then why worry about getting to the playoffs at all? We are as capable as any team right now and you needn't look beyond 2008 for the blueprint.

I agree that the injuries could catch up with us, but with any luck, we'll be able to rest a lot of guys and we'll get both Polamalu and Aaron Smith back for the playoff run.
:tt2 :tt2 :Boobs

hawaiiansteel
12-18-2010, 06:57 PM
Steelers expect Polamalu to rest ailing leg, be ready for playoffs

By Jason La Canfora NFL Network
NFL Network Insider
Published: Dec. 18, 2010

The Pittsburgh Steelers haven't considered putting five-time Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu on season-ending injured reserve, a team source said Saturday, and expect him back this month.

Some reports have surfaced that the game-changing safety could be out for the season with a strained right Achilles' tendon and a sore calf. However, the Steelers are confident that Polamalu will be ready for the playoffs.

"If this week's game was the Super Bowl, he would be playing," the source said.

Instead, it's "pretty much certain," according to the source, that Polamalu will not play Sunday against the New York Jets as a precaution. He was listed as doubtful on Friday's injury report after not being able to practice all week.

Also, with the Steelers' following game being played on a short week -- Thursday night against the Carolina Panthers -- the team will wait to determine its playoff situation before deciding whether or not to play Polamalu. If the Steelers have the AFC North title wrapped up, then in all likelihood, Polamalu wouldn't play until January.

"We'll have him back for the playoffs," the source said, "and sooner if it makes sense."

Also, Steelers defensive end Aaron Smith continues his recovery from a torn tricep. He started lifting weights a few weeks ago and now is working on returning to game shape after missing most of the regular season. He was injured in Week 7.

"He's doing great," the source said of Smith. "He'll be ready for the playoffs."

However, the Steelers have ruled out tight end Heath Miller for Sunday's game as he tries to return from a concussion that he suffered during a Dec. 5 victory over the Baltimore Ravens. Miller was listed as questionable on the injury report.

http://burgh.us/6g