PDA

View Full Version : Reason why we don't have quick passes on O

feltdizz
12-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Q: Might this be a game where you need to get rid of the ball quickly?

Ben: I guess so. I donít know if I could do that, but I could try I guess.

Q: If you donít, you could have a lot of company back there.

Ben: I know how to play the game one way. To tell me not to play it that way is a hard thing to do. I can go into any game and tell myself not to do it, but those juices start flowing. Itís like when Iím running against the Bills and (Marcus) Stroud is chasing me. Everything in your body tells you to go out of bounds, but you donít. Why? I donít know. Because I donít want to.

Ben said it... now do you believe it? :stirpot

Maybe it's time to stop blaming BA for everything. Ben does things his way... live with it.

Oviedo
12-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Like I said it may be more a Ben issue than a Bruce issue. This is where Ben still shows his immaturity that has gotten him in trouble in the past. It's almost like he need to put himself in a no win situation to get his competitive juices flowing. Like I say "you don't have to practice being stupid, it comes naturally"

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-16-2010, 03:47 PM

Ben: I know how to play the game one way. To tell me not to play it that way is a hard thing to do. I can go into any game and tell myself not to do it, but those juices start flowing. Itís like when Iím running against the Bills and (Marcus) Stroud is chasing me. Everything in your body tells you to go out of bounds, but you donít. Why? I donít know. Because I donít want to.

Maybe it's time to stop blaming BA for everything. Ben does things his way... live with it.

Source reference please? Even if Ben did say it, who is supposed to be running that offense? " :stirpot "

Oviedo
12-16-2010, 03:48 PM

Source reference please? Even if Ben did say it, who is supposed to be running that offense? " :stirpot "

It's from the weekly interview with Ben posted on Steel City Insider so no one is making it up.

SteelCrazy
12-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Why do you think Ben likes Bruce? Cause all of his pass plays are designed to be down field and Ben knows with that he can play the game he likes because before the play can develop the OL will break down!!!!

feltdizz
12-16-2010, 03:54 PM

my bad... credit to hawaiiansteel for posting it in the putrid thread.

http://pit.scout.com/2/1031734.html

Q&A: Ben Roethlisberger

By Dale Lolley
For SteelCityInsider.net
Posted Dec 16, 2010

Ben Roethlisberger met with Pittsburgh reporters after Wednesday's practice. Here's the transcript:

Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Pittsburgh Steelers
Q: Will you shy away from throwing at Revis at all?

A: To me, itís about just playing the game. I donít mean any disrespect to him or anyone else out there, but we go in with a game plan and thatís the game plan we try to execute. Theyíve got a lot of great guys over there. If we had to try to shy away from Bart Scott when we run the ball or against Baltimore, where (Haloti) Ngata is at, guys like that, I think it affects your game. Weíre just going to go out and try to execute our game plan no matter what side of the ball it is and what guy itís against.

Q: Do you guys still script plays?

A: Yes.

Q: When you go three-and-out or have a short possession on the first series, do you scrap the script?

A: Usually, we get right back into it. The script, sometimes weíll bounce around on it a little bit, but usually, itís pretty consistent.

Q: Are you aware of how much you guys have struggled on the opening possession this season?

A: Iíve heard, but I couldnít give you any stats on how it is.

Q: Itís much lower than in previous seasons.

A: I think we know that weíre struggling a little bit on offense. Weíre moving the ball and doing some good things, but when we get down into the red zone, weíre not taking that next step to get in. I donít know if itís, on first downs down there, if Iím looking to get it in instead of getting some yards. Iíll take some of that blame. We have to make sure we donít panic and try and do too much because itís too important when you get down there to put at least some points on the board.

Q: Have you guys missed Santonio Holmes this season?

A: You miss a guy like Tone, heís a great football player. Heís a guy who can do a lot of things. But Mike Wallace has done a pretty good job of stepping up for him.

Q: Youíve replaced him, but have you found that No. 3 receiver?

A: I think Emmanuel (Sanders) has been doing a great job. Itís been kind of nice because weíve had Emmanuel do a little bit of it. Weíve had (Antonio Brown) do a little bit of it. We have Antwaan (Randle El) do a little bit of it. All three of those guys have done a good job of stepping up and filling whatever role it is they need to fill.

Q: Have you seen how well heís doing with the Jets?

A: Itís great. Tone is a friend of mine and we talk. Since the day he got here, Iíve wished him nothing but the best. I know heís doing some great things over there for Mark (Sanchez) and that organization. I know Markís probably happy to have him around.

Q: What did you think about his trade?

A: That this is a job and they make the decision not us. I guess I could flip it back on you. You could lose your job at any time. It really is a job and the bosses are a boss for a reason.

A: I guess so. I donít know if I could do that, but I could try I guess.

A: I know how to play the game one way. To tell me not to play it that way is a hard thing to do. I can go into any game and tell myself not to do it, but those juices start flowing. Itís like when Iím running against the Bills and (Marcus) Stroud is chasing me. Everything in your body tells you to go out of bounds, but you donít. Why? I donít know. Because I donít want to.

this pretty much is a STFU to all the BA bashers. Ben has always done things his way. We have 2 rings due to his style of play so I think we should just enjoy the ride.

Flasteel
12-16-2010, 03:54 PM

He's obviously talking about the perception that he holds on to the ball too long. This has nothing to do with 3-step drops or quick pass plays.

Nice job of snipping out some comments from an interview and taking them completely out of context. :Clap

feltdizz
12-16-2010, 03:56 PM

He's obviously talking about the perception that he holds on to the ball too long. This has nothing to do with 3-step drops or quick pass plays.

Nice job of snipping out some comments from an interview and taking them completely out of context. :Clap
I just posted the whole interview... read it and weep.

I'm not taking anything out of context. It is what it is FLAsteel

He also said he won't shy away from a teams strength... he just plays the game the way he knows how.

Once again someone has to interpret what Ben says instead of taking it at face value. How do you know what plays are being referenced?

feltdizz
12-16-2010, 03:58 PM

Ben runs the offense... BA may call the plays but he can't control what Ben does once the ball is snapped. Also makes one wonder if Ben isn't too concerned with the bad OL play because it gives him the ability to break the pocket because they suck.

grotonsteel
12-16-2010, 04:00 PM

:Agree

He did not mention about 3 step drops/slants/dink and dunk game planning in the interview.

It was all about perception that Ben holds the ball too long. Especially when he talks about Marcus Stroud and the Bills game.

feltdizz
12-16-2010, 04:03 PM

He did not mention about 3 step drops/slants/dink and dunk game planning in the interview.

It was all about perception that Ben holds the ball too long. Especially when he talks about Marcus Stroud and the Bills game.

:wft are you guys talking about?

Flasteel
12-16-2010, 04:05 PM
this pretty much is a STFU to all the BA bashers. Ben has always done things his way. We have 2 rings due to his style of play so I think we should just enjoy the ride.

Are you serious Dizz? There wasn't a word in that interview that deflected any of the blame from BA. Maybe when Ben stated that accepts some of the blame for our red zone problems, but that's being an accountable leader.

I bash and I praise. I don't sit here and continually hate on BA and I'd like to think that I'm pretty level-headed when it comes to my assessment of him. I just find myself bashing Arians waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than prasing him.

feltdizz
12-16-2010, 04:07 PM
Once again this is a clear case Ben fans trying to talk for him... reminds me of political debates where the analyst tell us what the politicians were really saying.

The questions are clear.. the answers are clear.

Flasteel
12-16-2010, 04:11 PM

Get rid of the ball quickly = Not holding on to the ball too long. The very thing he is continually (and somewhat wrongfully) criticized for. You really don't see what he is obviously referring to?

Dude. We disagree from time to time (all the time when it comes to BA), but you do come off as an intelligent individual. ANY intelligent individual should see the meaning here. You can do it Dizz...look again. :D

Djfan
12-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Seriously.

If I were the coach I would sit him down and explain that staying the same is a great way to get pigeon holed by other defenses. It also is not a long-term way to manage the career. Most great players are learners.

Then I would explain that the expectation for all of the players on this team is that they are learners. It might help to teach that the short, quick passes free up the line to do great things and causes the defenses to change things that play to your advantage.

Then would tell him that he is going to use quick passes more, because I'm the coach. So learn them.

See you in the film room tomorrow early, Ben.

feltdizz
12-16-2010, 04:16 PM

Are you serious Dizz? There wasn't a word in that interview that deflected any of the blame from BA. Maybe when Ben stated that accepts some of the blame for our red zone problems, but that's being an accountable leader.

I bash and I praise. I don't sit here and continually hate on BA and I'd like to think that I'm pretty level-headed when it comes to my assessment of him. I just find myself bashing Arians waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than prasing him.

You shouldn't get so wound up if you aren't one of the people who constantly bashes BA.

Anyone who says BA is too stupid to adjust should read this interview because I think it's clear Ben is cut from the same cloth.

Flasteel
12-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Once again this is a clear case Ben fans trying to talk for him... reminds me of political debates where the analyst tell us what the politicians were really saying.

I am a Ben fan. I'm just not one of those nut-hugging fans who are blinded by their Big Ben Fathead wall graphic. I've used his name in vain (in games) far more than I have with BA.

You my friend are reading what you want to read and can't decipher what should be clear to anyone with an open mind.

Let the rest of the board weigh-in on this and the evidence will soon be clear to you. If not, we'll just have Crash give us Ben's phone number and we'll call him up.

Flasteel
12-16-2010, 04:21 PM

You shouldn't get so wound up if you aren't one of the people who constantly bashes BA.

Anyone who says BA is too stupid to adjust should read this interview because I think it's clear Ben is cut from the same cloth.

Wound-up? Please. I'm not going to get worked up over this, and especially not with you. You're a decent enough guy and we've danced to this tune waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many times to start getting offended now. :D

I refuse however, to let you plaster this board with your faulty interpretation of Roethlisberger's comments. It borders on douchebaggery. We all should know how I feel about douchebaggery.

feltdizz
12-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Get rid of the ball quickly = Not holding on to the ball too long. The very thing he is continually (and somewhat wrongfully) criticized for. You really don't see what he is obviously referring to?

Dude. We disagree from time to time (all the time when it comes to BA), but you do come off as an intelligent individual. ANY intelligent individual should see the meaning here. You can do it Dizz...look again. :D

I think you should stop replacing questions and answers with your interpretation and let the words stand on their own.

Eich
12-16-2010, 04:24 PM

The question was:

I'm not convinced the question is clear.
-Is he asking Ben if this is a game where the gameplan should be making quick decisions and getting rid of the ball quickly with shorter routes by design? I think this is how some fans are interpreting the question.

-Or is he asking Ben if this is a game where if nothing is there in their typical gameplan, then get rid of the ball by throwing it away, etc... I think this is how Ben interpreted the question.

I think those are 2 different questions and the original question can be interpreted either way.

feltdizz
12-16-2010, 04:26 PM

I am a Ben fan. I'm just not one of those nut-hugging fans who are blinded by their Big Ben Fathead wall graphic. I've used his name in vain (in games) far more than I have with BA.

You my friend are reading what you want to read and can't decipher what should be clear to anyone with an open mind.

Let the rest of the board weigh-in on this and the evidence will soon be clear to you. If not, we'll just have Crash give us Ben's phone number and we'll call him up.

I have to go but I will be back to see what others think of the interview.

I think you are also reading what you want to read....

The question about throwing quick passes next game was clear to me.. and the answer was even clearer.

I don't know if he was being sarcastic because it's text but there are about 3 answers that make it pretty clear Ben just plays the game the way he knows how and isn't too concerned with strengths and weaknesses of other teams.

feltdizz
12-16-2010, 04:28 PM

The question was:

I'm not convinced the question is clear.
-Is he asking Ben if this is a game where the gameplan should be making quick decisions and getting rid of the ball quickly with shorter routes by design? I think this is how some fans are interpreting the question.

-Or is he asking Ben if this is a game where if nothing is there in their typical gameplan, then get rid of the ball by throwing it away, etc... I think this is how Ben interpreted the question.

I think those are 2 different questions and the original question can be interpreted either way.

it was asked on Wed. and we play the Jets next. It's clear he is talking about the Jets rush...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-16-2010, 04:38 PM
I don't see the connection of Ben saying he can't get rid of the ball quickly completely exonerate BA from the lack of production on offense. The only think that his comments would solidify is that some of the sacks are on him....Which many of us are saying. If you know football and watch the play designs and play calling....That isn't BB. His comments mean he is a competitor and he wants to make a play...that's it. BA is still on the hot seat.

Is that bacon frying?

Crash
12-16-2010, 04:43 PM

We do have quick passes on O. But they are mostly on first and second down.

Once again. They don't believe in a quick 5 yard pass on 3rd and 10.

Crash
12-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Btw, Ben also said that on first down in the red zone he may be "trying to do too much" instead of just getting yards.

Once again:

24 1st down RZ plays with Ben.

19 rushes 5 passes.

StarSpangledSteeler
12-16-2010, 04:52 PM
It's pretty clear to me, Ben doesn't like throwing short quick passes. Not just from this interview but from watching him play for 5 years. He will check down to hot routes on occasion (against the blitz) but he prefers to beat them deep. Rather than fight him, let's protect him and help him do what he does best. That is why so many of us are calling for 1-2 round OL in the draft. Players with the skill set to pass block for more than 3 seconds. Plus most of those guys will help our run game as well.

SteelTorch
12-16-2010, 06:10 PM

Nobody here blames BA for everything, dumby. :) We just blame him for when he screws up - which happens to be a lot.

Even if Ben doesn't like getting rid of it quickly, BA should still have the common sense to call for the quick passes when they're needed rather than bend over backward to satisfy Ben's bad habits.

feltdizz
12-16-2010, 06:19 PM
It's pretty clear to me, Ben doesn't like throwing short quick passes. Not just from this interview but from watching him play for 5 years. He will check down to hot routes on occasion (against the blitz) but he prefers to beat them deep. Rather than fight him, let's protect him and help him do what he does best. That is why so many of us are calling for 1-2 round OL in the draft. Players with the skill set to pass block for more than 3 seconds. Plus most of those guys will help our run game as well.

Bingo. Ben isn't changing anytime soon so draft some OL talent. He is our franchise, draft to his strengths

hawaiiansteel
12-16-2010, 06:33 PM

Bingo. Ben isn't changing anytime soon so draft some OL talent. He is our franchise, draft to his strengths

at least we decided to finally invest a high draft choice on Maurkice Pouncey, can you imagine our OL this year with Hartwig anchoring the middle?

pick6
12-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Going to have to take sides with Feltdizz on this one. Ben does not want to dink and dunk. The mock conversation that djfan posted is on the money. I would also tell Ben that the short stuff will open up the deep stuff.
The tragedy is that while Ben and the Steelers will continue to win most of their games, it will be difficult for Ben to have a winning record against the Pats. When Beelcheck sees that you want to hold on to the ball and wait it out every play then he is going to stop you. If you are a one trick pony its going to be hard to beat them.

I hope everyone realizes that if Ben mixed in 5-7 quick hits a game (not the quick one down the line of scrimmage) I dont think teams could beat us. There would be too much to account for. Currently Ben is making things easy for everybody by taking this weapon out of his arsenal and he still has 2 rings. Imagine.

The Patriots are so happy that this man refuses to give them a dose of their own medicine. And I dont want to hear that Ben is not Brady and can't hit these routes. He Can. I just wish Ben knew that his unprecedented ability to buy time, stay focused, and connect down field should not be a primary talent, he should be using this when he has to not the majority of snaps.

NJ-STEELER
12-16-2010, 06:36 PM
what good would getting rid of the ball quicker do when thereceivers are still running their routes down field

Flasteel
12-16-2010, 06:50 PM
Going to have to take sides with Feltdizz on this one. Ben does not want to dink and dunk. The mock conversation that djfan posted is on the money. I would also tell Ben that the short stuff will open up the deep stuff.
The tragedy is that while Ben and the Steelers will continue to win most of their games, it will be difficult for Ben to have a winning record against the Pats. When Beelcheck sees that you want to hold on to the ball and wait it out every play then he is going to stop you. If you are a one trick pony its going to be hard to beat them.

I hope everyone realizes that if Ben mixed in 5-7 quick hits a game (not the quick one down the line of scrimmage) I dont think teams could beat us. There would be too much to account for. Currently Ben is making things easy for everybody by taking this weapon out of his arsenal and he still has 2 rings. Imagine.

The Patriots are so happy that this man refuses to give them a dose of their own medicine. And I dont want to hear that Ben is not Brady and can't hit these routes. He Can. I just wish Ben knew that his unprecedented ability to buy time, stay focused, and connect down field should not be a primary talent, he should be using this when he has to not the majority of snaps.

Agree with Dizz? The debate centered on the nature of Ben's comments and not whether he likes or dislikes throwing short passes. If you're saying that's what he's referring to, then I will say that you both have vivid imaginiations. I understand there is some degree of possibility that you are correct, it just isn't very likely.

For the record, I think any quarterback would love to chuck it deep as often as possible.

BURGH86STEEL
12-16-2010, 07:23 PM
what good would getting rid of the ball quicker do when thereceivers are still running their routes down field

They have WR options short, intermediate, and long. The QB and defense dictates where the QB goes with the football.

California-Steel
12-16-2010, 07:48 PM

The Patriots are so happy that this man refuses to give them a dose of their own medicine. And I dont want to hear that Ben is not Brady and can't hit these routes. He Can. I just wish Ben knew that his unprecedented ability to buy time, stay focused, and connect down field should not be a primary talent, he should be using this when he has to not the majority of snaps.Great post. Ben in a nut shell is a football hard head. He is like my kids. No matter how many time you tell them to do their homework and get it out of the way, they just fail to see the logic in it. They would rather stay up until 4:00AM the morning of turn in time, rushing to get it done. Then pay the price for it by being tired and sleepy all day. Give Ben 3 more years of getting beat down and some time to mature a bit more and he will see things differently. But until then all our games will be difficult ones, even the so call easy ones for any other good team.

BA on the other hand is still crap. He has no sense of play calling rhythm at all. His play calling borders on the schizophrenic side. Some times I see no rhyme or reason for many of his play callings. He sets up nothing and just runs plays for the sake of running a play. If people can't see that then they really don't know football. You don't run a reverse in the 1st quarter of the first drive on 2nd and 2. But I have seen him do just that. I have seen him attempt a flea flicker in the same situation. So now you have shot your surprise load right off the bat regardless if it works or not. Now you have nothing to go to when you need it. This guy is just football dumb. He does not even setup the stupidly timed so called trick plays. He just runs them at the most mind boggling times.

His run play call timing and design is no better. You don't have to only run on first downs. Just like you can play action on 2nd and 2 or less. Also sometimes you can pass from a 2 back set. Even on obvious passing downs why not have the QB under center sometimes with a 2 back set. Just to break from tendencies. This game is all about tendencies and BA has a ton of them, and they can be read by the blind as well as children under the age of 3.

If Ben can't (wont) throw the short pass then you design plays that force him to do it.

BURGH86STEEL
12-16-2010, 08:19 PM

The Patriots are so happy that this man refuses to give them a dose of their own medicine. And I dont want to hear that Ben is not Brady and can't hit these routes. He Can. I just wish Ben knew that his unprecedented ability to buy time, stay focused, and connect down field should not be a primary talent, he should be using this when he has to not the majority of snaps.Great post. Ben in a nut shell is a football hard head. He is like my kids. No matter how many time you tell them to do their homework and get it out of the way, they just fail to see the logic in it. They would rather stay up until 4:00AM the morning of turn in time, rushing to get it done. Then pay the price for it by being tired and sleepy all day. Give Ben 3 more years of getting beat down and some time to mature a bit more and he will see things differently. But until then all our games will be difficult ones, even the so call easy ones for any other good team.

BA on the other hand is still crap. He has no sense of play calling rhythm at all. His play calling borders on the schizophrenic side. Some times I see no rhyme or reason for many of his play callings. He sets up nothing and just runs plays for the sake of running a play. If people can't see that then they really don't know football. You don't run a reverse in the 1st quarter of the first drive on 2nd and 2. But I have seen him do just that. I have seen him attempt a flea flicker in the same situation. So now you have shot your surprise load right off the bat regardless if it works or not. Now you have nothing to go to when you need it. This guy is just football dumb. He does not even setup the stupidly timed so called trick plays. He just runs them at the most mind boggling times.

His run play call timing and design is no better. You don't have to only run on first downs. Just like you can play action on 2nd and 2 or less. Also sometimes you can pass from a 2 back set. Even on obvious passing downs why not have the QB under center sometimes with a 2 back set. Just to break from tendencies. This game is all about tendencies and BA has a ton of them, and they can be read by the blind as well as children under the age of 3.

If Ben can't (wont) throw the short pass then you design plays that force him to do it.
Is it really up to the fans to see rhyme and reason to the play calling? There were times I understood the play calling and times I did not. Sometimes, I believe calls go back to things they did earlier in the season. I think that opposing coaches & players review those plays. I believe they mix things up more the fans believe. It's like the fans that state they always ran on first down. When you go back to review the game or play by play, you notice they pass on first down several times. What fans remember is not what always happened.

I'd bet if you watched every team in the league, you would have difficulty determining their rhyme and reason for many play calls. It's not something singular to BA.

On one hand, you said the play calling was schizo. On the other hand, you said the offense has a ton of tendencies. Just curious about how that can be the case? If you have a difficultly making that determination, what must other coaches feel?

If BA goes he goes. It's not going to change anything about the issues on the Oline or the inconsistency from the QB position. The issues on the Oline can be dealt with if they can get better players for the Oline. The issues at the QB position will need to be worked out by the QB. Coaching can only take players so far.

pick6
12-16-2010, 10:20 PM
The nature of Ben's comments should not be in debate. He was asked a direct question and answered with crystal clarity. There is no conspiracy or nothing cryptic about his comments. It would take a wild imagination to read to deeply into his words. We are simply taking him at his word. He does not care how much pressure you bring ( and I hope you know that the interviewer was referring to pass pressure) he is going to play his style of football which is not about getting rid of the ball.
Lets go back to the final drive of our last superbowl. im screaming at the screen to hit mewelde in the flat, but ben was having none of it. He was looking down field all the way and we won because of it. And I loved it. Could we have won by hitting the open short stuff, I don't think so. Ben's way (with more than a little help from Tone) pulled us out of the abyss and won the Superbowl.

Its just these damn patriots and to an extent the saints becuase of their superb coaching and gameplanning I just think that the kid has to force himself to adjust. Its about the W, not the style. Its like a boxer who just has a great left hook. If it touches you you're out. And for most fighters it's curtains but when you go up against someone who recognizes that you rely too heavily on one aspect of your game to the piont that it becomes your whole game then he can neutralize this thing you love to do. Having your thing taken away from you on a cold dark January night with nothing else to go to, or not willing to go to something else is just plain tragic. Especially when you have the talent to do so. I think Ben has really fallen in love with this persona of stiff arming cornerbacks and flipping Terrell suggs to the ground and making a play. and then he says keep it coming I dont care. then i yell Get em Ben

papillon
12-16-2010, 11:52 PM

Felt, if this is true then BA becomes less of a scapegoat and we can't have that. It has to be Arians' fault no matter what; it can't be anyone else's fault.

Pappy

papillon
12-16-2010, 11:54 PM

Nobody here blames BA for everything, dumby. :) We just blame him for when he screws up - which happens to be a lot.

Even if Ben doesn't like getting rid of it quickly, BA should still have the common sense to call for the quick passes when they're needed rather than bend over backward to satisfy Ben's bad habits.

Then what happens when Ben doesn't hit either of the first two options on a three step drop play because it's "not how he plays"? Calling plays that don't play to your quarterback's strengths is just plain retarded, IMO.

Pappy

Crash
12-17-2010, 12:28 AM
Ben also said this with clarity:

And I quote:

I donít know if itís, on first downs down there, if Iím looking to get it in instead of getting some yards. Iíll take some of that blame.

Since he's been back, they've run 24 plays in the redzone on first down.

19 runs, 5 passes (Completing three with one TD).

But HE takes the blame because he's being a good teammate.

NJ-STEELER
12-17-2010, 12:57 AM

They have WR options short, intermediate, and long. The QB and defense dictates where the QB goes with the football.

so when the defense dictates taking away the short pass, do you want him to get rid of it quickly anyway, or to let the intermediate and longer routes go thru their progression

Starlifter
12-17-2010, 01:05 AM
I just want to know who's in charge of the offense.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-17-2010, 01:13 AM
Q&A: Ben Roethlisberger

By Dale Lolley
For SteelCityInsider.net
Posted Dec 16, 2010

Ben Roethlisberger met with Pittsburgh reporters after Wednesday's practice. Here's the transcript:

Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Pittsburgh Steelers

Q: Do you guys still script plays?

A: Yes.

Q: When you go three-and-out or have a short possession on the first series, do you scrap the script?

A: Usually, we get right back into it. The script, sometimes weíll bounce around on it a little bit, but usually, itís pretty consistent.

Q: Are you aware of how much you guys have struggled on the opening possession this season?

A: Iíve heard, but I couldnít give you any stats on how it is.

Q: Itís much lower than in previous seasons.

Am I the only one whose head exploded when they read this?

"I draw up a game plan, and whether it works or not, I am sticking with it. Signed, BA".

Isn't that what he is saying here? Isn't he pleading guilty to what this board (and presumably every other one) has been screaming about for two years???

This guy just convicted himself - he CANNOT and WILL NOT make gametime adjustments. Why Tomlin has kept him on staff is beyond me. Completely.

Crash
12-17-2010, 01:25 AM
JESUS H CHRIST!

Do you guys WANT them to announce what they do?

Just watch the friggin' game and pay attention to what you see!

It's not that difficult.

California-Steel
12-17-2010, 04:37 AM
...On one hand, you said the play calling was schizo. On the other hand, you said the offense has a ton of tendencies. Just curious about how that can be the case? If you have a difficultly making that determination, what must other coaches feel?...
You can be schizoid and still have tendencies. Your play calling can be all over the place but your formations can be quite telling at the same time. The play being called may make no sense at all but you can tell what is coming just by the formation. I see nothing wrong with what I stated.

...Coaching can only take players so far....
Yes and BA has hit HIS limit. We need a coach that can take the O even farther. It is not like the Steelers' offence has hit some limit of greatness. If that is the case then you are saying that what we see is all the potential that this team has. I don't think so. :nono

NorthCoast
12-17-2010, 01:29 PM
I, for one, am very shocked by this admission from Ben. Tells me a whole lot about what has been going on and why Tomlin has not made a bigger stink about the offensive gameplan.
The thing is, maybe Ben is telling us how uncomfortable he would be in a quick passing game. It is about timing and precision when plays are so close to the line of scrimmage and maybe he feels that is not his strong game? Strange thing is, if you look at the no-huddle and hurry up offense, the passes seem to be of the shorter variety and Ben does just fine.

After this, I guess I need to tone down the BA bashing I have been doing cause it sures seems now that Ben would not be supportive of a change anyway. Why for a guy to go away from something he excels at as long at it is successful? However, without this defense to pull these games out, I suspect Ben would need to change his tune in a big hurry, no way we win the last three games with O alone.

chiken
12-17-2010, 02:36 PM
This is pretty simple. Ben will not let the Defense dictate to him what he should do. Any good Defense sends pressure to force the qb to get rid of the ball quickly and then they make the tackle. Period.

Defenses HATE Ben because he doesn't fit the mold. We have won 2 Superbowls because of this Stubborn mentality of his.

The guy simply will not fold, why as fans do some of us want him to? We love playing against cookie cutter Qb's because we know what they are going to do when we pressure them, why do we want our Qb to be the same way?

Let the guy play - stop asking him to throw his sorry offensive line under the bus by admitting that he needs to throw the ball quicker because they cant block.. how about just getting him some guys who can block. I believe the interviewer was trying to Bait Ben into saying something bad against his OL (thats not going to happen)

Ben is the most difficult QBs to defend because he always wants to extend the play.. and whenever he does throw quick it catches people off guard (i.e. Ravens)

NorthCoast
12-17-2010, 02:50 PM
This is pretty simple. Ben will not let the Defense dictate to him what he should do. Any good Defense sends pressure to force the qb to get rid of the ball quickly and then they make the tackle. Period.

Defenses HATE Ben because he doesn't fit the mold. We have won 2 Superbowls because of this Stubborn mentality of his.

The guy simply will not fold, why as fans do some of us want him to? We love playing against cookie cutter Qb's because we know what they are going to do when we pressure them, why do we want our Qb to be the same way?

Let the guy play - stop asking him to throw his sorry offensive line under the bus by admitting that he needs to throw the ball quicker because they cant block.. how about just getting him some guys who can block. I believe the interviewer was trying to Bait Ben into saying something bad against his OL (thats not going to happen)

Ben is the most difficult QBs to defend because he always wants to extend the play.. and whenever he does throw quick it catches people off guard (i.e. Ravens)

I agree with letting Ben be Ben. BUT, when points are not going onto the board then things need to be re-thought. Defending a red zone against Ben may be a lot easier than defending it against a QB that takes the checkdowns because our weak OL combined with a short field gives him no time for the big play. Posted it before, Ben only has a 75 passer rating in the red zone. Compare that to Brady at 112 and Manning at 105.

Crash
12-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Defending a red zone against Ben may be a lot easier than defending it against a QB that takes the checkdowns because our weak OL combined with a short field gives him no time for the big play.

Or maybe the fact when a first down red zone running play fails we then come out to 2nd and 3rd and pass.

Once again, and it's still being ignored on this board:

24 first down red zone plays with Ben:

19 runs, 5 passes.

feltdizz
12-17-2010, 03:26 PM

I agree with letting Ben be Ben. BUT, when points are not going onto the board then things need to be re-thought. Defending a red zone against Ben may be a lot easier than defending it against a QB that takes the checkdowns because our weak OL combined with a short field gives him no time for the big play. Posted it before, Ben only has a 75 passer rating in the red zone. Compare that to Brady at 112 and Manning at 105.

It would be nice to see players will themselves into the end zone like Redman did against Baltimore.

The biggest problem with our team IMO is lateral movement. It's like our WR's and RB's are on train tracks...

When I go to Fox and Hound it amazes me how many other skill players on good AND bad teams have fluid juke moves that get them the extra yards...

our skill players either run fast (Wallace).. or catch and fall down (ARE, Hines) and our RB who had 25 million moves in college (Mend) dances for 2.

I have no idea who the RB coach is but it looks like he coached the swagger out of Mendenhall.

chiken
12-17-2010, 07:53 PM
I think we all want to see us score more.. but in the red Zone we seem to be to busy trying to make the Rooney's happy.. We run it wayyyy to much and leave it to Ben to try to bail us out with one third down throw.. And this Normally happens after some holding or a tackle for a loss.. We throw when everybody knows we are going to throw (not Bens fault)

We move the ball from 20 to 20 pretty regular so Ben Holding the ball cant really be the issue... He constantly turns bad play call and Spotty line play into positives with his backyard playground style..

We are pretty Easy to defend in the Red zone - Stop the run twice and then blitz Ben on 3rd down...

SteelTorch
12-17-2010, 10:21 PM

Then what happens when Ben doesn't hit either of the first two options on a three step drop play because it's "not how he plays"? Calling plays that don't play to your quarterback's strengths is just plain retarded, IMO.

Pappy
And how exactly has that philosophy worked out so far?