PDA

View Full Version : Stonio - It won't be pretty for them

JAR
12-16-2010, 08:43 AM
what's he smoking? :lol:

Two days a week during the offseason, Santonio Holmes and Ben Roethlisberger would get together at the Steelers’ practice facility and play catch.

With no one else around, Holmes said the two would just talk. Put things into perspective. They developed a relationship where a head nod or a hand gesture would be all the communication they’d need come gamd day.

“There were times we’d come in Monday after a game and coach would be like, ‘You guys completely did the wrong thing, but it worked out for a touchdown,’” Roethlisberger said on a conference call Wednesday. “We had a pretty good chemistry.”

It was a bond that molded itself into one of the more memorable moments in recent NFL history, with Holmes nabbing the go-ahead touchdown from Roethlisberger to win Super Bowl XLIII. It would be one that made Holmes’ eventual departure from the Steelers in April that much more difficult. Roethlisberger said he was “shocked” when he found out Holmes was traded to the Jets.

But Sunday, Holmes returns to Pittsburgh under conflicting circumstances. Part of him wants to show Pittsburgh why he was worth more than the fifth-round pick he was traded for back in April, and how explosive he can be within the Jets offense. The other part still misses those connections he had.

He still talks regularly with Steelers cornerbacks Ike Taylor and William Gay. He receives texts from some of his old coaches every Saturday.

“It’s been on my mind for quite some time,” Holmes said. “I just never let it play into factor until now.

“I had a great relationship with those guys. I’m pretty sure (the fans) will give me a standing ovation once I get on the field. I’m pretty sure you’ll look in the stands and see a lot of No. 10 jerseys with ‘Holmes’ on the back from the Steelers.”

He said he might get some boos, too. Mostly stemming from what he said he plans to do to against a Steelers defense that’s really never experienced defending him before.

Said Holmes: “It won’t be pretty for them.”

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/1 ... olmes.html (http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/12/jets_notebook_santonio_holmes.html)

Eich
12-16-2010, 09:25 AM
I don't know that he should count on a standing ovation at Heinz field. He was instrumental in getting us number 6 but his own stupidity got him kicked off the team and some of his comments sounded like he was more than happy to go.

I apprecaite what he did for us while he was here but hope he gets knocked around on the field against us.

Oviedo
12-16-2010, 09:26 AM
Put the pipe down Stupidio. No Steelers fan is going to welcome you back unless they are stoners themselves and you are their hero.

He will be a non-factor if Sanchez is on his back. We have to keep the agressive blitz packages going full time and not rush three DL and Harrison routinely. Blitz them to death.

flippy
12-16-2010, 09:52 AM
I hope he runs across the middle and meets Mr Timmons.

Shawn
12-16-2010, 01:03 PM
If Taylor is locked down on Holmes it won't be pretty for him. But, if we try to defend Holmes with anyone outside of Taylor...he is right. It won't be pretty. When he is motivated he is a superb WR and will exploit a weak DB.

hawaiiansteel
12-16-2010, 02:37 PM
Jets WR Holmes out to prove Steelers made mistake

By GEORGE WILLIS
Last Updated: 10:44 AM, December 16, 2010

Bart Scott knows how he would feel if he were Santonio Holmes getting ready to play the Steelers.

“I’d be ready to put it in their face and shove it down their throat,” the Jets linebacker said yesterday.

Holmes was a bit more diplomatic, though deep down the sentiment has to be the same.
“It’s been on my mind for quite some time,” the Jets wide receiver said. “Now I get a chance to play against these guys I played with for four years. Now it’s definitely time to show these guys, ‘Why did they let me go?’ ”

Holmes is saving his emotional build up for Sunday at Heinz Field, where he plays against the team that traded him to the Jets in April for a fifth-round draft pick.

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said he was shocked when he learned Holmes had been traded.

“You never want to lose a guy, especially a friend and player who is that good,” Roethlisberger said. “So it was shocking news.”

If Holmes has any hard feelings toward the Steelers he did a good job of hiding it yesterday. He spoke glowingly of his former teammates, including Roethlisberger and wide receiver Hines Ward.

“He’s the one that took me under his wing and showed me the ropes,” Holmes said of Ward. “He taught me how to be a football player. He taught me how to be a professional. He taught me how to be a father and how to be a leader.”

Suspended for the first four games of the season after violating the NFL’s substance-abuse policy, Holmes has been a model player and teammate with the Jets. He has caught 41 passes for 620 yards and four touchdowns and had a four-game stretch when he was involved in a play to set up or score the winning points.

But like the rest of the offense, he has been quiet in the past two games, both losses. He dropped what would have been a touchdown pass in a 10-6 loss to the Dolphins on Sunday.

He is spending much of this week sharing information about the Steelers with his teammates and coaches.

“This is a big week for me to help out my team as much as I can so we can get an edge against these guys,” he said.

Holmes could see duty as a punt-returner and issued a warning to his former team.
“If they give me a crease I’m going to take it to the house,” he said. “If they give me an opportunity, they know what’s going to happen.”

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/san ... z18IiuuLgK (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/santonio_out_to_prove_steelers_made_60Yx3SnLpES3aO hGNM5lTP#ixzz18IiuuLgK)

RuthlessBurgher
12-16-2010, 02:44 PM
‘Why did they let me go?’

Seriously?

SERIOUSLY?!?!

Snatch98
12-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Holmes Jersey's in the stands? Standing ovation? Absolutely not. He's not only smoking weed these days, but also some CRACK! Tyrone Biggums style.

flippy
12-16-2010, 07:16 PM
I've always wondered if we traded Holmes to spite Ben. If Ben didn't have his offseason, Holmes is still on this team today.

I think the media is telling the other story so the Steelers look good.

RuthlessBurgher
12-16-2010, 07:19 PM
I've always wondered if we traded Holmes to spite Ben. If Ben didn't have his offseason, Holmes is still on this team today.

McRib for lunch today, eh flip? :wink:

Steelgal
12-16-2010, 07:26 PM

I think Ben's issues might have been a small part of it, but that's it.

Tone had already been caught with marijuana and been into other trouble. He was given a 4 game suspension and another violation would have meant even longer. They also knew he was in the last year of his contract and ownership/coaches might have thought it could cause issues during the season. It was either move him now or risk getting nothing for him. At the time, I don't believe Sweed had been lost to IR, not that he was considered an equal replacement.

I certainly don't think Ben's off-the-field issues helped Tone, but it wasn't the main reason he was traded IMO.

aggiebones
12-17-2010, 01:20 PM
Sadly Stonio didn't figure out why we traded him.

Yes, you are talented and skill wise worth more than a 5th rounder. But you have a 10 cent head like your receiver mate Edwards over there in NJ. Figure out what makes the world go and you could be great. If not, you'll bounce from team to team like so many others that have come through the league.

Crash
12-17-2010, 01:26 PM

Holmes was gone once he started whining about wanting out and how we were not going to pay him and telling fans to go kill themselves.

They would have kept him around and waited 4 games if he just shut up. He didn't and he was let go.

I told you guys after the Ward 2005 fiasco that the Rooney's would never allow themselves to be bullied by players in the press again.

Alan Faneca found that out in 2007, and Santonio Holmes found that out in 2010.

NorthCoast
12-17-2010, 02:26 PM
Actually I am getting the sinking feeling that Holmes' quote will come true...only it will be on the wrong side of the ball. The Ryan blitzing defense could end up wreaking havoc on the Steelers very suspect OL making it not very pretty for Ben. Their defense is a lot like ours, with a lot of confusion in moving fronts around. With our weak OL, this game could end up like the Baltimore or Philly games a couple of years ago where they sacked Ben something like 14 times in those two games.
I am crossing my fingers they don't have a complete OL melt-down, but it has happened before and with better players. We always seem to have one of those games every year.

NorthCoast
12-17-2010, 02:33 PM

Holmes was gone once he started whining about wanting out and how we were not going to pay him and telling fans to go kill themselves.

They would have kept him around and waited 4 games if he just shut up. He didn't and he was let go.

I told you guys after the Ward 2005 fiasco that the Rooney's would never allow themselves to be bullied by players in the press again.

Alan Faneca found that out in 2007, and Santonio Holmes found that out in 2010.

I have no problem at all with this. If you don't respect the organization you work for, why on God's green earth would you want to have that person around. It works the same way in the corporate world.
(BTW, there is a difference between criticism and constructive criticism. Too much of what we hear and read in the media today is simply criticism with no thoughtful analysis. Why I respect this forum, we criticize but we have plenty of solutions to offer... :!: )

Discipline of Steel
12-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Its just bravado. He has nothing to base that on since his team has been asleep the last few games. Holmes may make one or two catches but i think we roll :Beer

MaxAMillion
12-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Of course the players like him. He helped them win a Super Bowl and he was a good teammate. The players have nothing but good things to say about him (unlike Plaxico who was a pain in the butt). Holmes should still be on the team. The only reason he isn't is because Baby Rooney panicked and decided he had to be traded even if you are not getting anything close to value for the guy.

I am willing to bet Holmes makes more plays than the guy who replaces him for the Steelers.

RuthlessBurgher
12-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Of course the players like him. He helped them win a Super Bowl and he was a good teammate. The players have nothing but good things to say about him (unlike Plaxico who was a pain in the butt). Holmes should still be on the team. The only reason he isn't is because Baby Rooney panicked and decided he had to be traded even if you are not getting anything close to value for the guy.

I am willing to bet Holmes makes more plays than the guy who replaces him for the Steelers.

Mike Wallace has 14 TD's in 17 career starts.

Santonio Holmes has 24 TD's in 55 career starts.

Wallace also averages 4 more yards per catch than Holmes over the course of their careers.

I think we are in good hands with the guy who replaced Holmes.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-18-2010, 05:48 PM

Mike Wallace has 14 TD's in 17 career starts.

Santonio Holmes has 24 TD's in 55 career starts.

Wallace also averages 4 more yards per catch than Holmes over the course of their careers.

I think we are in good hands with the guy who replaced Holmes.

Like a good neighbor ... Wallace is there!

http://www.voicesofri.org/img/allstate_logo_5B1_5D.gif

hawaiiansteel
12-18-2010, 07:35 PM
NFL Odds Week 15: New York Jets at Pittsburgh Steelers

By Jimmy Boyd (Senior Analyst) on December 18, 2010

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/091/623/107543823_crop_340x234.jpg?1292689813

NFL oddsmakers are expecting a defensive battle when the New York Jets (9-4) and Pittsburgh Steelers (10-3) meet in the big ketchup bottle Sunday. Perhaps that’s because these two teams have combined for 13 straight quarters without an offensive touchdown. The Steelers are listed as a 5.5-point favorite with the total set at 35.5.

The Jets will be looking to bounce back from back-to-back defeats, but that will be no easy task against a Steelers team riding a four-game win streak. Plus, the Jets have never won in Pittsburgh.

The Steelers defense has resembled the one that carried them to a Super Bowl two seasons ago. They have held the opposition to just 9.0 points per contest during their recent win streak. The defense came up with two big touchdowns in last week’s 23-7 rout of Cincinnati. This unit has carried the team while the offense has managed only one touchdown in the last 11 quarters.

Troy Polamalu, who I regard as the best safety in the game, is a big reason why the Steelers are sitting in first place ahead of Baltimore. With the Ravens defense stifling the Steelers in a Dec. 5 matchup, Polamalu was shot out of a cannon on a blitz off the edge to force a sack fumble that set up the winning score. Polamalu was back at it again last week, picking off two passes and returning one for a touchdown against the Bengals.

Big Ben and the offense will likely have to play better this week to get past the Jets. The offense should get a boost from the return of tight end Heath Miller, who is a major asset as a blocker and receiver.

It is worth noting that the Steelers are 21-8 against the number in their last 29 games as a home favorite of 3.5 to 10.0 points.

Getting anything through the air will not be easy with shutdown cornerback Darrelle Revis lurking in the secondary. Revis and the defense figure to hold their own, but the question remains if Mark Sanchez and the offense can get the job done.

Perhaps former Steelers wideout and 2009 Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes can provide a spark. He appears to be harboring some hard feelings over Pittsburgh’s decision to trade him. “It’s been on my mind for quite some time, I just never let it play a factor until now,” Holmes said. “I spent four years there. It’s definitely time to show these guys, ‘Why let me go?’”

Holmes won’t get a chance to show up his former team if Sanchez doesn’t start playing better football, though. His play is a big reason why the Jets have failed to score a touchdown the last two games. He has four interceptions and no touchdown passes in losses to New England and Miami. He was just 17 of 44 for 217 yards against the Dolphins last Sunday.

New York must get its running game going to take the pressure off Sanchez. That could be easier said than done against the NFL’s top ranked run-stuffing unit, though New York runs the football well, averaging 143.7 yards per game.

The Jets have been a downright dominant dog, going 10-4 against the spread in their last 14 games catching points.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/546886-nfl-odds-week-15-new-york-jets-at-pittsburgh-steelers

fordfixer
12-19-2010, 03:17 AM
Holmes puts Pittsburgh past behind him
By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, December 19, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 14438.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_714438.html)

Soon after signing with the Jets, Santonio Holmes changed the ring tone on his cell phone to "Empire State of Mind'' featuring superstar performers Alicia Keys and Jay-Z. The tribute to New York City was Holmes' swan song to four bittersweet seasons with the Steelers.

"I've put all that stuff in the past back in April when it happened,'' said Holmes, a Super Bowl MVP who was traded to the Jets for a fifth-round draft pick that the Steelers used to acquire cornerback Bryant McFadden. "I play for the New York Jets now. I don't care about anything that's going on in Pittsburgh.''

Holmes returns to Heinz Field to face his former team at 4:15 p.m. today. It's an opportunity to heal old wounds and create new memories.

Holmes maintains he doesn't know why he was traded a year after catching the winning touchdown pass from Ben Roethlisberger to defeat Arizona in Super Bowl XLIII. Truth is, Holmes was traded because Steelers management tired of his off-field troubles that included a four-game suspension at the start of this season for failing the NFL's substance-abuse policy.

"If I had the answers, I'd give (them) to you,'' Holmes said.

Holmes said he's excited about facing his former teammates, particularly receiver Hines Ward, who showed Holmes how to be a pro.

"I play the game until the end of the fourth quarter,'' Holmes said. "I never take any moment light in the game. I try to be physical. I try to be precise on how I run my routes. I've learned that from Hines over the years. It stuck with me. If you don't have respect for that guy, I don't know what to say."

The feeling is mutual for Ward.

"As players, we didn't want him to leave,'' Ward said. "But it's not our say-so. We don't own this team.''

Being traded was emotional for Holmes, but Ward's advice resonated.

"He always told me if you ever get a chance to get out of here, don't hate the organization, but take advantage of the new opportunity that you've got,'' Holmes said. "I left Pittsburgh, and now I'm taking advantage of what I have in front of me.

"I have no personal issues with any of my players, my former teammates. I got along with everybody on the team. Everybody respected me for who I was and for what I did for those guys. Business is business. That's the part of the game that you have to learn to understand and respect.''

Jets coach Rex Ryan always respected Holmes from afar. Holmes' big plays gave Ryan fits as Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator.

Other teams passed on Holmes, likely because of non-football issues, but Ryan focused on Holmes the player when debating whether to sign him.

"I never realized how good of a teammate he was. But since he has come here, he has been outstanding,'' Ryan said. "He is building guys up here, and it's great to have him. I just know that we couldn't stop him when I was in Baltimore. We lost three games to Pittsburgh in (2008) ... and Santonio Holmes would make one play in the game that would end up being the difference. He did it over and over, and when we had the opportunity I just thought I would love to have him because he is a difference maker.''

Holmes attributes much of his success to working with speed and conditioning coach Tom Shaw in Florida. Ryan requested a meeting with Holmes and Shaw to outline what he expected from Holmes during his suspension.

Ryan wanted Holmes training around his Jets teammates, even though he wasn't permitted to join practice while suspended.

"Rex said he wanted to make sure Santonio is ready to go on the first snap of Game 5,'' said Shaw, who spent all four weeks with Holmes in New York. "He said he's got to be able to take charge and get in there when they need him. We got everything done that we needed to get done. It was good for him to be up there because the guys saw he was there. He's just not a guy that's going to come in and take my job. He was working as hard as they were. He wasn't trying to get out of anything.''

Holmes is third on the team in receiving with 41 catches and ranks second with four touchdown receptions — three coming on late game-winners on consecutive weeks against Detroit, Cleveland and Houston.

Shaw knows Holmes as well as anyone. Holmes trains with Shaw in the offseason and even bought a home in Orlando so he can be closer to Shaw. Since the trade, the normally reclusive Holmes has opened up around Ryan, just as he does with Shaw.

"The day after he signed with the Jets, 'Tone' changed the ring tone on his cell phone," Shaw said. "When he got a chance to meet Rex Ryan, he knew he was all in. He felt like the guy believed in him enough — and gave him an opportunity — to prove he could play in the NFL. He really feels loyal to Rex Ryan. He's starting to mature. He's growing up.''

Holmes took what he learned in Pittsburgh and shared it with his new teammates, starting with second-year quarterback Mark Sanchez, who has struggled during New York's two-game losing streak and nearly was benched during last week's home loss against Miami.

"It's going to take a little time for us,'' Holmes said. "Maybe this offseason. Maybe these next three games. Maybe throughout the playoffs. My thing is to keep him upbeat and not allow him to get down on himself because of the way he's been playing recently.

"It's a different group of guys,'' Holmes said of the Jets. "I built a rapport with guys four years ago, and I understood them. Now it's trying to be a leader to a group of guys who haven't really been there. I was with a bunch of guys that (were) been-there-done-that type of guys. Defensive player of the year guys. Super Bowl MVP guys. Two-time Super Bowl champion defensive players that very rarely gave up big plays. Now you get with the Jets, and you're trying to find out who those guys are on the team. You try to build a rapport with them, and you let them know how you see the game and what they can use to their advantage.''

Holmes knows he'll be forever linked with the Steelers because of his 6-yard touchdown catch in the closing seconds of Super Bowl XLIII.

"That catch will definitely go down in history,'' Holmes said. "History is history. You can't repeat it. You can only try to out-do it. That's my goal."

sentinel33
12-19-2010, 12:36 PM
I have always felt that the pass ben threw was more impressive than holmes' catch. especially since he missed an easier catch on the opposite side of the field. For ben to deliver two clutch throws back to back like that with everything on the line was sick. and the second was into tripple ccoverage. couldnt have put the ball in a better spot. nice catch. great pass.