PDA

View Full Version : Heath Miller cleared for practice

SteelCrazy
12-14-2010, 01:12 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers Heath Miller has passed his post-concussion tests and has been cleared to be a full go starting with Wednesday's practice.

2 minutes ago ·LikeUnlike · Comment · View feedback (692)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/steelers

RuthlessBurgher
12-14-2010, 01:14 PM
HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEATH!!!!

http://www.steelersdepot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/heath-miller-ravens-hit.avi.gif

Mister Pittsburgh
12-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Great news!

Oviedo
12-14-2010, 01:58 PM
Let's hope that physical exertion doesn't cause the symptoms to return. That is usually the biggest issue once you are cleared, headaches returning with physical activitiy.

hawaiiansteel
12-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Hard knocks won't deter TE Miller

Tuesday, December 14, 2010
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It's too soon to tell if Steelers tight end Heath Miller will play against the New York Jets Sunday. First, he must feel like himself again this week. Then, he must pass the doctors' tests before they will clear him to play. Neither is a certainty at this point.

What's amazing to me is that Miller said he won't have any problem getting back on the field when the time comes. He said he won't be afraid to go across the middle again, to reach for a pass from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger even if it means leaving himself defenseless, to take another big hit from a linebacker like the frightening one he took from the Baltimore Ravens' Jameel McClain Dec. 5 that left him with a concussion and forced him to sit out the Cincinnati game Sunday.

How can that be?

You saw McClain's ferocious hit, didn't you?

"This is a game I've played my whole life," Miller said moments after the Steelers took out the Bengals, 23-7, with Matt Spaeth filling in at tight end. "I can't say for sure I won't have any problems going back out there until I do it. I've never had to come back from something like this. It's my first concussion. But I don't anticipate any problems."

The hit on Miller was one of the worst I've seen. When I watched it live and then a number of times on replay, I thought for sure his neck was broken. What a blessing it was for him to be able to stand up and, though clearly dazed, walk off the field.

Miller has watched the play on tape but wouldn't say much about it. "It was a hard hit, certainly. I know it could have been worse. I'm grateful it wasn't." Nor would Miller say anything about the $40,000 fine given to McClain the day after the game. No penalty was called on the play, but NFL director of officiating Carl Johnson telephoned the NBC broadcast crew immediately after the hit to say a personal foul should have been called. "It's a league matter. I don't get into that stuff," Miller said. "That's their jurisdiction, not mine."

Right after the McClain hit, Katie Miller couldn't have cared less that a flag wasn't thrown. She is Miller's wife and is deep into a pregnancy with their second child. She was watching the game in their North Hills home and, like the rest of us, was horrified by the collision. In those first, few agonizing seconds after it happened, she, too, wondered if Miller would get up.

Steelers security chief Jack Kearney carries the phone numbers of all the players' wives and girlfriends for moments like that. As soon as Miller made it to the sideline with the team doctors, Kearney called Katie Miller and handed his cell phone to team orthopedist, Dr. Jim Bradley, who reassured her that her husband was going to be OK, that he had a concussion but no serious neck injury. Katie Miller immediately called Heath's parents, Earl and Denise, who were watching the game at their home in Swords Creek, Va., and also feared the worst.

"That's one of the negative things that comes with our sport," Miller said. "A lot of people come out to watch the game and have fun. They don't realize that we have a wife and kids and parents who also are watching and keeping their fingers crossed that we get through it OK."

Don't get the wrong idea. Miller wasn't complaining. He knows he's well-paid -- he signed a six-year, $35.3 million contract before the 2009 season -- and accepts the risks that go with the job. His family understands those risks, as well, even if they don't have to like them.

That's why Miller will be able to go back on the field. He said he hasn't spent much time worrying about his long-term health despite recent medical studies that have linked football-related concussions with brain disease, early dementia and other problems later in life. He said he's putting his trust in the Steelers' doctors. Team neurosurgeon, Dr. Joe Maroon, is one of the world's leading experts on head injuries in sports.

"I know when they tell me I'm ready to play again, I'll be OK," Miller said. "That's comforting to me."

Miller hopes to get that clearance this week. He struggled to put his symptoms into words -- "It's not like you're sick. You just aren't yourself" -- but quickly added, "I feel like I'm getting better every day. That's a good thing."

It's not easy for Miller to watch from the sideline. Before Sunday, he had missed just two games in his six-year NFL career when he had an ankle injury late in the '08 season. It's especially not easy for him to watch now with the Steelers at 10-3 and gearing up for the playoffs. He has been one of the team's more dependable players -- both as a blocker and a pass catcher -- since he entered the league.

But first things first.

Passing those medical tests.

Feeling like himself.

Oh, how Miller can't wait to feel like himself again.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10348/11 ... z187IutSaM (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10348/1110595-87.stm#ixzz187IutSaM)

fordfixer
12-15-2010, 01:52 AM
Steelers' Miller likely to play Sunday against Jets
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, December 15, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 13770.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_713770.html)

• Steelers tight end Heath Miller passed a post-concussion test, and barring any setbacks the sixth-year veteran will play Sunday against the visiting New York Jets. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday at his weekly news conference that Miller "has absolutely no symptoms" from the concussion he sustained in a Dec. 5 game against the Ravens. Miller will practice today, Tomlin said. Among the Steelers players who could be limited in practice this week because of injuries are strong safety Troy Polamalu (ankle), right tackle Flozell Adams (ankle), cornerbacks Bryant McFadden (hamstring) and Anthony Madison (knee) and linebacker Keyaron Fox (elbow). All are expected to play in the 4:15 p.m. game.

• Consistent with his policy of not commenting publicly on officiating, Tomlin said that whatever issues he has with some of the hits quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has taken are between him and the NFL. Several Steelers players said after last Sunday's game that the officials are not doing enough to protect Roethlisberger. On keeping his talks with the league private, Tomlin said, "I think that is the prudent approach in getting what we desire, which, of course, is clarity or change."

• The Jets were featured this year in "Hard Knocks." The popular HBO series has a camera crew embed with a team during training camp, and it has played to strong reviews. Not that Steelers training camp will be chronicled any time soon on HBO. "I have no interest, whatsoever, in doing 'Hard Knocks,' " Tomlin said.

tomlin's take

On the decision to trade wide receiver Santonio Holmes to the New York Jets last April:

"We realized that we were potentially weakening ourselves at the wide receiver position, but we were very optimistic about what Mike Wallace was capable of. We also knew that what we got in exchange for him would probably strengthen us in another position. Of course, we eventually used that pick to get Bryant McFadden. Those are the normal decisions that go on in our business, particularly in the offseason, when you are talking about building your football team. Usually it involves weakening you in one area and possibly strengthening you in another area."

On the 17 offensive holding calls that have been made against the Steelers in the last four games:

"No question that holding occurs just about on every snap in the National Football League. I think anybody in this industry will acknowledge that. What we need to do is cut down on the actions that are triggering the flags of course, which is grabbing and restricting, the jersey coming away from the body and so forth. We've got to do a better job of it, a more detailed job of playing technical."

On watching film of Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis, who has said he is frustrated because teams don't throw in his direction:

"I assume he is that good, because I don't have a lot of video evidence because nobody is throwing the ball in his direction. He has a right to be frustrated, and hopefully he is frustrated on Sunday."

On Jets center Nick Mangold, who might be the best player at his position in the NFL:

"I always tease Maurkice Pouncey. He wants to be the best center in the world. He can try by being the best center in the stadium on Sunday."

hawaiiansteel
12-16-2010, 03:08 PM
Steelers Notebook: Wide receivers brace for Jets' secondary

Thursday, December 16, 2010
By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201012/x20101216steelers_330.jpg

Many receivers around the NFL have been isolated on Revis Island. Opposing teams have become so wary of New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis' ability to defend in man-to-man coverage that they rarely throw passes in his direction.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said he will not shy away from throwing Revis' way purposely when the Steelers play host to the Jets Sunday at Heinz Field.

"To me, it's about playing the game," Roethlisberger said. "I don't mean any disrespect to him or anyone else out there. We go in with a game plan, and that's the game plan we'll try to execute.

"There are a lot of great guys on that defense. If we had to shy away from Bart Scott running the ball, I think it affects your game. We're going to try to execute the game plan to the best of our ability."

Receiver Hines Ward is looking forward to the challenge against the All-Pro corner, who played at Aliquippa High School and Pitt before breaking into the NFL

"I'm a big Revis fan," Ward said. "I watched him at Pitt. For me, I'll do some extra studying. He's a great man-to-man player. If my number is called, I have to be able to scratch, claw, do whatever it takes to help our team make plays."

Ward said he expects to be matched up with Revis and for Mike Wallace to be matched against Antonio Cromartie.

"They're the best tandem that Mike and I and the other guys will face all year," Ward said. "It'll be a tough matchup for Mike and I. But it's the NFL. Every week, someone will be tough. It's December. You'll play good playoff teams. We might see this team again in the playoffs."

Miller's matchup
Ward said the return of tight end Heath Miller, who sat out the game last week against Cincinnati because of a concussion he sustained the previous week against Baltimore, could pay big dividends against the Jets.

The Jets have some injuries at safety. Safety Jim Leonhard is out for the season with a leg injury and his replacement, Eric Smith did not practice Wednesday and is uncertain to play Sunday because of a concussion.

"They play so much man-to-man," Ward said. "They have a couple of safeties that are out. I like our matchup with Heath in man-to-man. We may not get as many opportunities. Who knows? Maybe Heath is the matchup problem."

Red-zone problems
The Steelers have not scored a touchdown when a possession started in their territory since the opening drive of the Nov. 28 game at Buffalo. The only other touchdown in the past 11 quarters came when Troy Polamalu's strip sack set the offense up at the 9 late in the game against the Ravens.

"We know we're struggling a little bit on offense," Roethlisberger said. "I think we're moving the ball and doing some good things. But, when we get to the red zone, we just haven't taken that next step to get in.

"Maybe on first down [in the red zone], I'm looking to score every time instead of getting some yards. I take some of that blame. We just have to make sure we don't panic and don't try to do too much because it's too important when you get down there to put some points on the board."

Ryan a fan of Pouncey
Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey has earned the respect of Jets coach Rex Ryan. Pouncey had it even before he put on a Steelers uniform. Ryan said the Jets would have taken Pouncey with their first-round pick in April, even though they have Nick Mangold, one of the best centers in the league.

"I really liked him," Ryan said. "He's a guy we would have taken if he would have been there, regardless of need or not. We got the best center in football and we still would have taken him. He's a great player."

Injury updates
Polamalu (ankle), offensive tackle Flozell Adams (ankle), linebacker James Harrison (illness), cornerback Bryant McFadden (hamstring), and defensive end Aaron Smith (triceps) did not practice Wednesday.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10350/1111110-66.stm#ixzz18IpmxOpu