PDA

View Full Version : The buck stops with Arians...

hawaiiansteel
12-13-2010, 03:26 PM
About that Steelers' offense . . .

MONDAY, DECEMBER 13, 2010 06:30 AM WRITTEN BY BOB SMIZIK

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1133750/33155712E.jpg

It’s not easy to possess the ball for more than 34 minutes against the woebegone Cincinnati Bengals and not score an offensive touchdown. But the Steelers managed that ignominious feat yesterday and it became front and center in any discussion about the team -- more so than the 23-7 victory, the 10-3 record and the superb defense.

The conventional wisdom is the offense is going to keep this team out of the Super Bowl. That could well be true.

There is no question the offense is the Steelers' weakness. The team is in the bottom quarter of the conference in offensive touchdowns and is markedly inept in the red zone.

It goes without saying that the blame for these woes is place by many, if not most, with the offensive coordinator, the widely maligned Bruce Arians. Pittsburgh fans in general and Steelers fan in particular are tough on offensive coordinators. From Tom Moore to Joe Walton to Kevin Gilbride to Arians, the Steelers offensive coordinator has been portrayed as a bumbling fool who never seems to call the right play.

I pay almost no attention to play-calling criticism. I simply do not have enough information in front of me to determine, in most cases, whether the call is the correct one or not. Many fans, however, don’t need any information to make a determination. If the play doesn’t work, they reason, it’s the fault of the offensive coordinator. They never seem to take into consideration there are 11 professional players on the other side of the ball and it takes more than the right play call to defeat them.

No matter, that the play might have been the perfect call, but a failure to execute, possibly by just one player, blew it up. No matter, that the call might have been the right one but on this particular down the defense executed better than the offense. Nope, if the play doesn’t work, the coordinator is an idiot. It’s that simple.

For a minute, let’s remove the offensive coordinator from the conversation and discuss the offensive personnel of the Steelers. If the AFC Pro Bowl team were selected tomorrow, I feel pretty safe in saying no Steelers would be on it. The only ones to even be considered would be quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and wide receivers Hines Ward and Mike Wallace.

Roethlisberger would have a chance of making the team, but would rank behind Tom Brady and Phillip Rivers and in a category -- based on performance this season, which is how these things are decided -- with Matt Cassel, David Garard and Matt Schaub. At wide receiver, Ward is 21st in the conference in receptions and Wallace is 27th in receptions, first in yards per catch and sixth in yards per game. Neither would likely make it.

When you add to this what is looking more and more like an average running back in Rashard Mendenhall -- he's eighth in the league in rushing but third in rushing attempts and with a mediocre 3.9 yard average -- and a line that is substantially below standard and that should explain a lot of the inability of the offense to score.

However, In evaluating the offense and in evaluating Arians, few seem to take these highly relevant facts into account.

All that being said, the buck stops with Arians. The offense in not producing points and that is the clear bottom line for a coordinator.

There’s a chance, perhaps a good one, that Tomlin will choose to remove Arians after this season, unless there is an unexpected upswing in touchdowns.

If that’s the case, the fans won’t have Arians to kick around any more.

Not to worry: The next guy will do just as well.

http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazet ... s-offense- (http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/26555-about-that-steelers-offense-)

Djfan
12-13-2010, 03:29 PM
Mistakes like some of these are come down to coaching them to not be a part of our culture.

But, Ben had a few really bad throws, too. No question that execution and mistakes need addressing, along with the philosophy of the offense, but these all come down to coaching.

birtikidis
12-13-2010, 03:50 PM
ok, i didn't read the article, but I have to say this about arians:
people who like him are stats guys. they're fantasy football guys.
people who don't like him are the guys who look at situational football and strategy.
He's terrible when it comes to many situations in a football game
we are great between the 20's.. hella offense tons of yards and a lot of fantasy points. get down in the Redzone... I can't remember who said it in chat by it was something like ".. ah the redzone, where the pittsburgh offense goes to dies."

Oviedo
12-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Interesting discussion on Tunch and Wolfley's show on FM 970 today. They basically went through all the OCs back to Tom Moore for Chuck Noll and summarized how they were ripped for various flaws that they had. Both of them stated they believed that Arians is a good OC (not sure I agree). They also initimated what I have been saying is you can't really evaluate the performance of the offense because of the state of the OL.

But what the heck do two former NFL players who have direct access into the Steelers organization and with the players know?

Ghost
12-13-2010, 04:01 PM
I would never profess to having a knowledge base as extensive as BA. He'd blow me out of the water - as he should since he's a professional coach and gets paid a ton of money to use that knowledge.

But I don't have to be an expert (or anywhere near one) to watch this team week in and out and know there's something very wrong - espeicaly when the team gets close to the endzone. And as the offesnsive coordinator he needs to , and should, take a good bit of the blame. It's as if the playbook disappears and he;s just guessing when it comes time to punch it in. That's not good enough and won't win in the playoffs.

Oviedo
12-13-2010, 04:13 PM
I would never profess to having a knowledge base as extensive as BA. He'd blow me out of the water - as he should since he's a professional coach and gets paid a ton of money to use that knowledge.

But I don't have to be an expert (or anywhere near one) to watch this team week in and out and know there's something very wrong - espeicaly when the team gets close to the endzone. And as the offesnsive coordinator he needs to , and should, take a good bit of the blame. It's as if the playbook disappears and he;s just guessing when it comes time to punch it in. That's not good enough and won't win in the playoffs.

The very wrong = the Offensive Line

It skews the performance and execution on every play. The perfect play is screwed up by their inconsistent ability to execute, but we blame the play call.

feltdizz
12-13-2010, 04:22 PM
people who don't like him are the guys who look at situational football and strategy.
we are great between the 20's.. hella offense tons of yards and a lot of fantasy points. get down in the Redzone... I can't remember who said it in chat by it was something like ".. ah the redzone, where the pittsburgh offense goes to dies."

That makes zero sense birt... what fantasy stats are you speaking of? 2 TD's in 31 possessions? That ain't fantasy... that's nightmare.

Those who defend BA are looking at the OL he is working with right now and the boneheaded mistakes/penalties that happen on damn near every positive play.

2nd and goal... play action, Spaeth is wide open and the pass gets batted down. That isn't on the OC.

Don't get me wrong, I think Redman needs more touches and EVERY WR bubble screen should only go to the young players.

I'm just wondering what we can do different to get the ball in the endzone with a bad OL and a banged up QB.

feltdizz
12-13-2010, 04:23 PM

The OC takes all of the blame in Pittsburgh... not sure what more people want as far as blame goes.

Djfan
12-13-2010, 04:31 PM
An exaggeration might illustrate my point:

If we had one lineman left, the center, and the rest of the guys were patched in from running backs, D-line, etc., we might be smart to consider an adjustment in our RUTM calls. Why? Because the big uglies who are good at blocking for this are gone, and the guys who are doing their best to fill in, are not that good at this blocking.

So, here we are with a bad line (no argument there) that can't protect for very long. So, how about a bunch of quick hit passes, and less RUTM? This line isn't good at it. Deal with it, don't deny it. Right now it seems that we're pretending that it is not an issue.

Does anyone know the ratio of RUTM vs. end arounds or play actions, or whatever? It seems that he won't bring these things in to compensate for the bad line right now.

Crash
12-13-2010, 04:38 PM
I'm just wondering what we can do different to get the ball in the endzone with a bad OL and a banged up QB

Three wide, one TE, and RB.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-13-2010, 04:38 PM
All I look at is this.....games are decided by points on the board and we have struggled to punch it in from the redzone for 3 or 4 straight seasons with NO corrective action taking place. Can we blame execution, crappy line play, or what, for this yearly issue?

Arians sucks. Sorry, he does.

Go look at the Steelers vs. Arizona in the Superbowl and watch Arians call run play after run play in the redzone only to kick a FG. Sure, you can say that is execution, I mean theoretically every play should work. But lets get real. Arians offense was designed for between the 20's. Once we get to the 20's, he has no clue.

flippy
12-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Put a 3 step drop in the playbook and take advantage of the speedy WRs and take pressure off the line.

Oviedo
12-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Put a 3 step drop in the playbook and take advantage of the speedy WRs and take pressure off the line.

:Agree :Agree

We have the receivers and it would take huge pressure off the OL.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-13-2010, 04:48 PM

3 step drop, timing patterns, screens, more shotgun to give Ben more time to survey the field instead of wasting time dropping back.....list goes on and on.....but yeah.....Arians is so smart. He can't see that the line can only hold blocks for so long with how crappy they are.....but he wants to waste some of that time with Ben dropping 5 or 7 steps back.

For those that will argue you have to run in crappy weather...did you watch the Pats at Bears game?

Ghost
12-13-2010, 04:57 PM
The very wrong = the Offensive Line

It skews the performance and execution on every play. The perfect play is screwed up by their inconsistent ability to execute, but we blame the play call.

This doesn't explain a 15 play drive that takes up over 9 minutes and end with a punt. Yeah, the penalties hurt and moved us back but the O was able to overcome them and continue to make 1st downs until they get close. They can't score TD's. That's my question - why does it look like a different team - right now it looks damn near impossible to punch it in the last 10 to 20 yards but they've been moving the ball, sometimes well.

Every drive can't be a TD but 2 out of 30 or 31 is ridiculously bad. Some of that falls on the play calling. It has to.

Ghost
12-13-2010, 05:00 PM

The OC takes all of the blame in Pittsburgh... not sure what more people want as far as blame goes.

The people who matter - the head coach, the GM, the ownership (with decades of experience) taking a look if to see if the Steelers would be better served by some new blood at the OC position.

SteelCrazy
12-13-2010, 05:03 PM
I hate Arians with a burning passion and believe most of our Offensive woes could essentially be solved by removing him. However, Ben is not producing very well either, IMO. I love him, but he is insistent on waiting until a play breaks down before releasing the ball.

The only thing that could justify this would be absolutely no separation by the wide outs. I find that hard to believe. Wallace,at least, can get a step or 2 on a DB before the designed play becomes sandlot football.

Doe Ben not trust his receivers to hit the spot of a designed throw? Does he not trust himself to read a D? Remember, he used to throw a lot more picks when he tried to play conventional QB. And it was usually the underneath guy he didnt account for hat got that pick.

Lastly, it could be Arians plays are so generic that it isn't hard for any given defense to read and blanket receivers routes. Granted, Ben doesn't have a lot of time to throw the ball, but 50% of the time he is waitng too long to throw it.

Oviedo
12-13-2010, 05:08 PM

Go read how the Ravens are slamming Cam Cameron who is held up as an example of a good OC by many Arians haters.

OC is the most thankless position in football. Everyone thinks they know the play call when they really don't and if things are good the players get all the credit and if they are bad it is all on the OC.

feltdizz
12-13-2010, 05:09 PM

:Agree :Agree

We have the receivers and it would take huge pressure off the OL.

I saw slants, screens, bad ones but hey, I saw them... and a few nifty things thrown in as well...

bottom line is our OL was still getting run over and Ben was getting pressure before he made his third step in the drop.

Shotgun? Doesn't matter... even when it works we get a penalty or we stall in the red zone.

Maybe a better OC will fix this... or maybe a rested Ben after the bye in the playoffs will fix this.

I know Ben is a God on here but this isn't the first time he has been banged up and our production has fallen off a cliff midseason.

feltdizz
12-13-2010, 05:12 PM
I hate Arians with a burning passion and believe most of our Offensive woes could essentially be solved by removing him. However, Ben is not producing very well either, IMO. I love him, but he is insistent on waiting until a play breaks down before releasing the ball.

The only thing that could justify this would be absolutely no separation by the wide outs. I find that hard to believe. Wallace,at least, can get a step or 2 on a DB before the designed play becomes sandlot football.

Doe Ben not trust his receivers to hit the spot of a designed throw? Does he not trust himself to read a D? Remember, he used to throw a lot more picks when he tried to play conventional QB. And it was usually the underneath guy he didnt account for hat got that pick.

Lastly, it could be Arians plays are so generic that it isn't hard for any given defense to read and blanket receivers routes. Granted, Ben doesn't have a lot of time to throw the ball, but 50% of the time he is waitng too long to throw it.

Glad someone else had the balls to say it...

Ben is very "unconventional and in the red zone the holes are much smaller...

His bread and butter was the Hines slant in the endzone... It would be nice to see the Wallace slant in the endzone.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-13-2010, 05:18 PM
cameron is just as bad as arians. i must have missed the posts glorifying him here.

the two fade call against us last week were prime examples of not playing to strenghts.

Crash
12-13-2010, 05:25 PM
His bread and butter was the Hines slant in the endzone... It would be nice to see the Wallace slant in the endzone.

Um, no. The bread and butter in the endzone is the play they ran with Spaeth when the ball was tipped. They've run that play a ton with Hines over the years from the same spot and Hines lined up in the slot near the tight end.

We are too concerned with running the ball in the redzone. It's basically wasting downs.

No waggles, no roll outs. Nothing. Vanilla, bland, and predictable.

feltdizz
12-13-2010, 05:25 PM
cameron is just as bad as arians. i must have missed the posts glorifying him here.

the two fade call against us last week were prime examples of not playing to strenghts.

plenty of people were talking about how great Cam was because of one play... the Rice mismatch on Farrior turned Cam into a genius over night...

same thing with the Jets run offense last year... "why couldn't we run like that?"

Most OC's are bashed by their fans.

grotonsteel
12-13-2010, 05:27 PM

We are too concerned with running the ball in the redzone. It's basically wasting downs.

No waggles, no roll outs. Nothing. Vanilla, bland, and predictable.

+1

Eddie Spaghetti
12-13-2010, 05:29 PM

Really?

Wow.

you should get paid for that kind of insight.

grotonsteel
12-13-2010, 05:31 PM
For those that will argue you have to run in crappy weather...did you watch the Pats at Bears game?

I have a question in general... is it difficult to throw/grip when it is raining as compared to when it is snowing?

Similar weather for Jets/Miami game and both QB struggled in that game. Agreed Tom Brady was not playing but accuracy took a major hit for 4 QBs playing in rain.

SteelTorch
12-13-2010, 05:32 PM

plenty of people were talking about how great Cam was because of one play... the Rice mismatch on Farrior turned Cam into a genius over night...
]
Like who?

Crash
12-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Doe Ben not trust his receivers to hit the spot of a designed throw

He does that plenty. Mostly when they throw on first and second down. They did throw slants to Wallace, and Brown yesterday as well.

The offense is in a state of transition. Going to take some time with Sanders and Brown. But IMO they should be playing more instead of just on 3rd and pass.

feltdizz
12-13-2010, 06:53 PM

Really?

Wow.

you should get paid for that kind of insight.

feel free to send donations 8)

feltdizz
12-13-2010, 07:07 PM

]
Like who?

I'm not a snitch...

put Cam Cameron is a great OC or anything like that in the search tool on here and you will see who likes Cam and who doesn't.

There may be some people who were saying it in the heat of the moment after a loss so I'm not going to list names because that wouldn't be fair given the context at the time.

SteelCrazy
12-13-2010, 07:22 PM

He does that plenty. Mostly when they throw on first and second down. They did throw slants to Wallace, and Brown yesterday as well.

The offense is in a state of transition. Going to take some time with Sanders and Brown. But IMO they should be playing more instead of just on 3rd and pass.

The major thing holding us back is the OL. However, if Ben got the protection needed would he trust the receivers? A slant is one thing, its one of the easiest routes to run and most difficult to stop. A 2 minute drill when we need a score is when Ben is at his best. Why is that? Think about it........

SteelAbility
12-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Yeah the OL sucks. But BA has nothing up his sleeve ...

1. to mitigate the problem
2. to mask the weakness
3. to change what the D is doing
4. to keep the D honest
5. to get into the DC's head
6. to take the pressure off of Ben

Honestly, I can't remember the last time we ran play-action. Don't the stats show that YPA are pumped up and the INT percentage way down on play-action? Seems like every OC can figure that out except ours.

Plus, he hasn't figured out that Wallace can get open in the 15-25 yard range at will with the threat of driving deep with a turn-and-catch. It's just unfathomable.

Jooser
12-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Hines Ward isn't fast enough for a three-step drop type pass pattern, right Crash? It's all Hines' fault!

feltdizz
12-13-2010, 07:54 PM

2. to mask the weakness
4. to keep the D honest

Honestly, I can't remember the last time we ran play-action. Don't the stats show that YPA are pumped up and the INT percentage way down on play-action? Seems like every OC can figure that out except ours.

Plus, he hasn't figured out that Wallace can get open in the 15-25 yard range at will with the threat of driving deep with a turn-and-catch. It's just unfathomable.

I remember us running play action and the D was on Ben before ha had a chance to finish the fake hand off.

A lot of those 15 to 25 yard routes are a waste of time... Ben is dodging the D before they get 10 yards down field.

birtikidis
12-13-2010, 08:02 PM

That makes zero sense birt... what fantasy stats are you speaking of? 2 TD's in 31 possessions? That ain't fantasy... that's nightmare.
the 300 yard passing games every week. the fact that we put yards up and it looks exciting.
Those who defend BA are looking at the OL he is working with right now and the boneheaded mistakes/penalties that happen on damn near every positive play.
can't blame the O-Line every season.. I've been hearing about it for how many years? time to adjust I think
2nd and goal... play action, Spaeth is wide open and the pass gets batted down. That isn't on the OC.
no, sure isn't. but how about 1st and goal and terrible play calling
Don't get me wrong, I think Redman needs more touches and EVERY WR bubble screen should only go to the young players.

I'm just wondering what we can do different to get the ball in the endzone with a bad OL and a banged up QB.

Crash
12-13-2010, 08:21 PM
A 2 minute drill when we need a score is when Ben is at his best. Why is that?

Simple. Johnson and Spaeth are off the field and the WRs are on it.

Ben played in a three wide base offense in college too. That's what he excels at. Two and three TE formations on this team are pointless.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-13-2010, 08:22 PM
So, here we are with a bad line (no argument there) that can't protect for very long. So, how about a bunch of quick hit passes, and less RUTM? This line isn't good at it. Deal with it, don't deny it.

Okay, I will play devil's advocate on this one.....

It is not that we are bad at RUTM, it is the timing that is an issue. How many times do you see on first down that RM goes up the middle for 7 yards. Then on second he is dropped for a loss of two up the middle?

So, it looks like we went RUTM twice in a row for a mere 5 yards - only 2.5 YPC on RUTM. Does that tell you that we can't RUTM? It tells me that everyone knows that if we run for a nice gain on first then we almost always follow that up with a run on second and that is what gets us constantly into trouble.

I don't have the time or energy to look it up but check almost any game and see how many times we followed a 5-8 yard run on first with RUTM on second that gained zero yards or less.

NorthCoast
12-13-2010, 10:01 PM
Sorry to burst people's bubble, but Ben is having a horrible year on the opponent's side of the field. Between the 50- 20 yd lines he is completing only 48% of his passes!! for a rating of about 75. Curiously, once inside the opponents 20 yd line he is fine completing 57% of passes for a 95 rating. Is it the play calls, is it Ben, is it the OL?

Djfan
12-13-2010, 10:33 PM
So, here we are with a bad line (no argument there) that can't protect for very long. So, how about a bunch of quick hit passes, and less RUTM? This line isn't good at it. Deal with it, don't deny it.

It is not that we are bad at RUTM, it is the timing that is an issue. How many times do you see on first down that RM goes up the middle for 7 yards. Then on second he is dropped for a loss of two up the middle?

So, it looks like we went RUTM twice in a row for a mere 5 yards - only 2.5 YPC on RUTM. Does that tell you that we can't RUTM? It tells me that everyone knows that if we run for a nice gain on first then we almost always follow that up with a run on second and that is what gets us constantly into trouble.

I don't have the time or energy to look it up but check almost any game and see how many times we followed a 5-8 yard run on first with RUTM on second that gained zero yards or less.

Well said, and correct.

Djfan
12-13-2010, 10:34 PM
Sorry to burst people's bubble, but Ben is having a horrible year on the opponent's side of the field. Between the 50- 20 yd lines he is completing only 48% of his passes!! for a rating of about 75. Curiously, once inside the opponents 20 yd line he is fine completing 57% of passes for a 95 rating. Is it the play calls, is it Ben, is it the OL?

I think Ben is having an off year by his standards, and an OK year by the league's standards.

SteelCrazy
12-13-2010, 11:01 PM
A 2 minute drill when we need a score is when Ben is at his best. Why is that?

Simple. Johnson and Spaeth are off the field and the WRs are on it.

Ben played in a three wide base offense in college too. That's what he excels at. Two and three TE formations on this team are pointless.

That would be yet another reason Arians is a boob

SteelAbility
12-13-2010, 11:23 PM

2. to mask the weakness
4. to keep the D honest

I remember us running play action and the D was on Ben before ha had a chance to finish the fake hand off.

A lot of those 15 to 25 yard routes are a waste of time... Ben is dodging the D before they get 10 yards down field.

Great. I'm glad we ran all of ONE play-action that any fan can remember. Awesome.

That 15-25 route was available several times in the Ravens game. Incomplete deep ball instead.

feltdizz
12-14-2010, 12:04 AM

2. to mask the weakness
4. to keep the D honest

Great. I'm glad we ran all of ONE play-action that any fan can remember. Awesome.

That 15-25 route was available several times in the Ravens game. Incomplete deep ball instead.

The play action made Nate Washington rich.

not sure why we stopped using it. OL?

Crash
12-14-2010, 12:12 AM
Hines Ward isn't fast enough for a three-step drop type pass pattern, right Crash? It's all Hines' fault!

8 of 13 games under 40 yards.

You tell me?

Want another stat? Hines has NEVER had a 1000 yard season without a #1 pick starting next to him.

feltdizz
12-14-2010, 12:53 AM

You tell me?

Want another stat? Hines has NEVER had a 1000 yard season without a #1 pick starting next to him.

You say it like it's a bad thing.

Crash
12-14-2010, 01:12 AM

You tell me?

You say it like it's a bad thing.

It's sure as hell isn't a good thing.

buckeyehoppy
12-14-2010, 02:43 AM

I think Ben is having an off year by his standards, and an OK year by the league's standards.

According to NFL.com, Ben is 7th in overall passer rating. So, yes, he's having a good year v. the league. Then how come he can't shove it in the end zone with a set of stats like that?

According to NFL.com, Mendy is 10th in overall rushing. So, yes, he's having a good year v. the league. Then how come he can't shove it in the end zone with a set of stats like that?

Ben and Mendy are both fantasy football heroes and the stats back that up. But the O, as a complete unit, can't find the EZ even with a road map. The arguments here basically stress that these guys are players and can make plays.

So, where would the mystery be here? If it hasn't been obvious over the last two years (at least) that BA's design for this offense is not very efficient, is not stout at the point of attack and can't produce in the clutch, then there's no sense in belaboring the point.

Bottom line, BA has to go. In today's NFL, the coach has to adapt to the personnel, not the other way around. I'm sure BA's predictable pile of dog snot he calls an offense could work wonders at a high school somewhere. But, your successful NFL OCs typically find a formula that fits the personnel at hand and changes up enough from year to year that it's difficult to get a handle on. BA will never be that guy.

The next guy might not be any better. But, can it really be said based on the talent on hand that he'll be any worse?

skyhawk
12-14-2010, 03:20 AM
If Arians had the OL that Cowher had in the mid-90's (considered one of the best in the league at the time) that offense would have had TONS of points and yards in the air and on the ground.

It was the lack of a consistent passing game (and a #7) in those games in the 90's that prevented the Steelers from winning at least one more Super Bowl.

Crash
12-14-2010, 04:07 AM
According to NFL.com, Ben is 7th in overall passer rating. So, yes, he's having a good year v. the league. Then how come he can't shove it in the end zone with a set of stats like that?

Vs. Browns

**1st and 10 at CLE 10 (Shotgun) R.Mendenhall left guard to CLV 8 for 2 yards (T.Ward).

**1st and 10 at CLE 13 R.Mendenhall right tackle to CLV 13 for no gain (B.Schaefering).
1st and 2 at CLE 2 #64 Legursky reports as eligible receiver. R.Mendenhall left guard for 2 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

**1st and 10 at CLE 18 R.Mendenhall left tackle to CLV 14 for 4 yards (M.Roth, D.Robinson).

Miami:

1st and 10 at MIA 11 R.Mendenhall right guard to MIA 7 for 4 yards (C.Wake).

1st and 10 at MIA 16 R.Mendenhall right guard to MIA 18 for -2 yards (K.Dansby).

1st and 10 at MIA 14 I.Redman right end to MIA 8 for 6 yards (Y.Bell). PENALTY on MIA-T.McDaniel, Unnecessary Roughness, 4 yards, enforced at MIA 8.

1st and 4 at MIA 4 M.Moore right end to MIA 4 for no gain (Y.Bell).

Saints

1st and 10 at NO 18 Roethlisberger pass 5 yards to Mendenhall to NO 14

1st and 1 at NO 1 I.Redman left guard to NO 2 for -1 yards (S.Ellis, S.Shanle).

At Bengals

1st and 10 at CIN 10 R.Mendenhall left guard to CIN 12 for -2 yards (P.Sims).

**1st and 14 at CIN 14 R.Mendenhall right end to CIN 16 for -2 yards (D.Jones).

Pats

1st and 10 at NE 11 R.Mendenhall right tackle to NE 8 for 3 yards (J.Mayo, B.Spikes).

1st and 8 at NE 8 R.Mendenhall right tackle to NE 8 for no gain (D.McCourty).

**1st and 6 at NE 6 B.Roethlisberger pass short left to E.Sanders for 6 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

Raiders

**1st and 10 at OAK 16 R.Mendenhall left tackle to OAK 16 for no gain (Q.Groves).
1st and 5 at OAK 5 R.Mendenhall right guard for 5 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

Bills

**1st and 6 at BUF 6 R.Mendenhall up the middle to BUF 4 for 2 yards (K.Williams, A.Ayodele).

Ravens

1st and 2 at BAL 2 I.Redman up the middle to BLT 4 for -2 yards (T.Suggs).

**1st and 9 at BAL 9 B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete short left to R.Mendenhall [T.Suggs].

Vs. Bengals

1st and 10 at CIN 18 (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete short left to M.Wallace (L.Hall).

1st and 9 at CIN 9 R.Mendenhall right tackle to CIN 6 for 3 yards (K.Rivers; R.Williams). PENALTY on PIT-D.Johnson, Offensive Offside, 10 yards, enforced at CIN 9 - No Play.

1st and 19 at CIN 19 B.Roethlisberger pass short left to I.Redman to CIN 13 for 6 yards (K.Rivers).

1st and 10 at CIN 18 R.Mendenhall right tackle to CIN 15 for 3 yards (R.Geathers, D.Jones).

**Denotes a TD drive.

I believe that is every first down play we have had in the redzone with Ben.

19 running plays 5 passing plays. 19 rushes for 25 yards total.

We are too %^&*&^%^&^ predictable! When first down fails you are now in second and predictable. That doesn't even count when we ran 3 times vs. Miami and three times on the same series at New Orleans also.

But this is what fans, and ownership wanted.

Run the ball....Hmmm Ha! Yoi!

Maybe people will realize just how good we have it playing the right way, instead of the Yinzer way.

skyhawk
12-14-2010, 04:37 AM

Vs. Browns

**1st and 10 at CLE 10 (Shotgun) R.Mendenhall left guard to CLV 8 for 2 yards (T.Ward).

**1st and 10 at CLE 13 R.Mendenhall right tackle to CLV 13 for no gain (B.Schaefering).
1st and 2 at CLE 2 #64 Legursky reports as eligible receiver. R.Mendenhall left guard for 2 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

**1st and 10 at CLE 18 R.Mendenhall left tackle to CLV 14 for 4 yards (M.Roth, D.Robinson).

Miami:

1st and 10 at MIA 11 R.Mendenhall right guard to MIA 7 for 4 yards (C.Wake).

1st and 10 at MIA 16 R.Mendenhall right guard to MIA 18 for -2 yards (K.Dansby).

1st and 10 at MIA 14 I.Redman right end to MIA 8 for 6 yards (Y.Bell). PENALTY on MIA-T.McDaniel, Unnecessary Roughness, 4 yards, enforced at MIA 8.

1st and 4 at MIA 4 M.Moore right end to MIA 4 for no gain (Y.Bell).

Saints

1st and 10 at NO 18 Roethlisberger pass 5 yards to Mendenhall to NO 14

1st and 1 at NO 1 I.Redman left guard to NO 2 for -1 yards (S.Ellis, S.Shanle).

At Bengals

1st and 10 at CIN 10 R.Mendenhall left guard to CIN 12 for -2 yards (P.Sims).

**1st and 14 at CIN 14 R.Mendenhall right end to CIN 16 for -2 yards (D.Jones).

Pats

1st and 10 at NE 11 R.Mendenhall right tackle to NE 8 for 3 yards (J.Mayo, B.Spikes).

1st and 8 at NE 8 R.Mendenhall right tackle to NE 8 for no gain (D.McCourty).

**1st and 6 at NE 6 B.Roethlisberger pass short left to E.Sanders for 6 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

Raiders

**1st and 10 at OAK 16 R.Mendenhall left tackle to OAK 16 for no gain (Q.Groves).
1st and 5 at OAK 5 R.Mendenhall right guard for 5 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

Bills

**1st and 6 at BUF 6 R.Mendenhall up the middle to BUF 4 for 2 yards (K.Williams, A.Ayodele).

Ravens

1st and 2 at BAL 2 I.Redman up the middle to BLT 4 for -2 yards (T.Suggs).

**1st and 9 at BAL 9 B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete short left to R.Mendenhall [T.Suggs].

Vs. Bengals

1st and 10 at CIN 18 (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete short left to M.Wallace (L.Hall).

1st and 9 at CIN 9 R.Mendenhall right tackle to CIN 6 for 3 yards (K.Rivers; R.Williams). PENALTY on PIT-D.Johnson, Offensive Offside, 10 yards, enforced at CIN 9 - No Play.

1st and 19 at CIN 19 B.Roethlisberger pass short left to I.Redman to CIN 13 for 6 yards (K.Rivers).

1st and 10 at CIN 18 R.Mendenhall right tackle to CIN 15 for 3 yards (R.Geathers, D.Jones).

**Denotes a TD drive.

I believe that is every first down play we have had in the redzone with Ben.

19 running plays 5 passing plays. 19 rushes for 25 yards total.

We are too %^&*&^%^&^ predictable! When first down fails you are now in second and predictable. That doesn't even count when we ran 3 times vs. Miami and three times on the same series at New Orleans also.

But this is what fans, and ownership wanted.

Run the ball....Hmmm Ha! Yoi!

Maybe people will realize just how good we have it playing the right way, instead of the Yinzer way.
Damming stats. Absolutely predictable not only on 1st down in the red zone but everywhere on tthe field. RUTM on 1st down baby!!! Crash, perhaps your info should be emailed to the pittsburgh press.

The steelers ARE too predictable and taking the ball out of bens hands when they need him most!

Steelerphile
12-14-2010, 06:05 AM
For some reason I am not blaming Arians as much as many do. I thought he incorporated creativity into the gameplan this week. They ran a flea-flicker and a play from the wildcat. Fans gripe the Steelers never run screens, but the flat passes to WRs, which they did to Ward, twice to Brown and once to Wallace are effectively screens because there is a TE and tackle in front of the WR and those plays were effective. They also ran a screen to Redman in the game.

Every year it is the same crying about the OL is horrible and how great the Pats OL is. But if you put Brady behind the Steelers OL, he would get sacked much less than Ben; and if you put Ben behind the Pats OL he would get sacked much more than Brady.

Jonathan Scott has not been that effective and I hear fans pushing for Essex to go into his spot. I wonder when Tony Hills will get a chance, because I consider him the most talented of the three.

Somebody has prevailed upon Mendenhall to quit spinning, and now he doesn't seem to be sure how to hit the line. He hesitates and dances a lot at the line of scrimmage. I thought he ran a little harder into the line against the Bengals, but he still doesn't quickly find the best opening and hit it as hard as he should. I think he is a premier talent, who is feeling his way a bit now. He has had some big runs called back on some ticky-tack holding penalties.

I think the Steelers do have the talent on offense but they need to score from more than 20 yards out more often, because when they have 1st and goal from the 8, 9 or 10, those are the hardest yards on the field for them.

Ghost
12-14-2010, 08:59 AM
I wonder when Tony Hills will get a chance, because I consider him the most talented of the three.

I'm curious what yuo are basing this assumption on. The line is decimated with injury and he can't get on the field. Scott is one of the worst linemen they've had in recent years (possibly worse than Mahan) and Hills can't see the field. Hills has been on the team for three years - it's not as if the coaches don't have tape and practices in which to base an evaluation.

Unless he's hurt, Hills should be cut b/c he's wasting a roster spot if he can't get playing time now.

Oviedo
12-14-2010, 09:06 AM

According to NFL.com, Mendy is 10th in overall rushing. So, yes, he's having a good year v. the league. Then how come he can't shove it in the end zone with a set of stats like that?

Ben and Mendy are both fantasy football heroes and the stats back that up. But the O, as a complete unit, can't find the EZ even with a road map. The arguments here basically stress that these guys are players and can make plays.

So, where would the mystery be here? If it hasn't been obvious over the last two years (at least) that BA's design for this offense is not very efficient, is not stout at the point of attack and can't produce in the clutch, then there's no sense in belaboring the point.

Bottom line, BA has to go. In today's NFL, the coach has to adapt to the personnel, not the other way around. I'm sure BA's predictable pile of dog snot he calls an offense could work wonders at a high school somewhere. But, your successful NFL OCs typically find a formula that fits the personnel at hand and changes up enough from year to year that it's difficult to get a handle on. BA will never be that guy.

The next guy might not be any better. But, can it really be said based on the talent on hand that he'll be any worse?

The answer to your "can't" questions is easy...the Offensive Line without Starks and Colon is not good.

hawaiiansteel
12-14-2010, 04:36 PM
do you think Santonio is going to reveal Arians' playbook to the Jets?

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/2226/arians.jpg

Crash
12-14-2010, 05:33 PM
http://coedmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/steelers-girl-49.jpg?w=580

NICE!

Steelerphile
12-14-2010, 08:00 PM
I wonder when Tony Hills will get a chance, because I consider him the most talented of the three.

I'm curious what yuo are basing this assumption on. The line is decimated with injury and he can't get on the field. Scott is one of the worst linemen they've had in recent years (possibly worse than Mahan) and Hills can't see the field. Hills has been on the team for three years - it's not as if the coaches don't have tape and practices in which to base an evaluation.

Unless he's hurt, Hills should be cut b/c he's wasting a roster spot if he can't get playing time now.

I'm basing this off of my observations on Hills this preseason and also in prior camps. I think Hills showed good footwork and effort. In my opinion, and I don't think I am alone, Hills is good talent. The only thing I can determine as to the reason why go with Scott is that he has more years in the league. I think this is often how playing time is given out on the OL, Pouncey is an exception, that the next guy with seniority goes in. Kemo sat behind everyone for about four years before he got in and now he is a fixture.

One of these days they do need to give him a chance, but there is no way he should be cut with the injury situation they have. I believe if he can just get in and get some reasonable PT, he would have a chance to prove himself. They cut Urbik and now he starts for another team; so just because he hasn't played is not proof positive, from my vantage point that he can't.

birtikidis
12-14-2010, 08:10 PM

The major thing holding us back is the OL. However, if Ben got the protection needed would he trust the receivers? A slant is one thing, its one of the easiest routes to run and most difficult to stop. A 2 minute drill when we need a score is when Ben is at his best. Why is that? Think about it........
Steel, when you have a weakness, you game plan for your strengths. BA says "we will not change our gameplan"

steelcurtain44
12-15-2010, 10:22 AM

Steel, when you have a weakness, you game plan for your strengths. BA says "we will not change our gameplan"

That's the real problem right there. They did change the game plan. Remember the big year Ben and Wrs had last year? Remember all those TDs in the redzone? Ah, but there was an issue with that.

The fans, defense and the owner all hollered, they need to get back to Steeler's football. We all know what that is, run baby run. Well that is what BA has done this year, run the damn football. He's doing that, and now he's predictable. Troy last year was complaining that because they didn't run the ball, the defense was on the field more. Sure they were on the field more. But it was because the offense was scoring TDs quickly. Now look at the offense. They again have a weak o-line, but because Ben isn't going to the no-huddle much, they can't score in the redzone. Well people this is what you get when you play Steeler's football on offense in this day in age.

You all got your wish, now stop all they whining.

Oviedo
12-15-2010, 10:29 AM

I'm basing this off of my observations on Hills this preseason and also in prior camps. I think Hills showed good footwork and effort. In my opinion, and I don't think I am alone, Hills is good talent. The only thing I can determine as to the reason why go with Scott is that he has more years in the league. I think this is often how playing time is given out on the OL, Pouncey is an exception, that the next guy with seniority goes in. Kemo sat behind everyone for about four years before he got in and now he is a fixture.

One of these days they do need to give him a chance, but there is no way he should be cut with the injury situation they have. I believe if he can just get in and get some reasonable PT, he would have a chance to prove himself. They cut Urbik and now he starts for another team; so just because he hasn't played is not proof positive, from my vantage point that he can't.

At a minimum activate him on gameday and let him play as the extra OT on Scott's side. I know that would require deactivating a player at another position, but I think Hills was once a TE so he should be able to offer some innovative opportunities.

I still think it was a mistake to cut Urbik. I really can't believe that Foster, Legursky or Essex are better Guards. Urbik looked good playing against us.

grotonsteel
12-15-2010, 11:53 AM

NICE!

+1

Somehow the photo reminds me of Victoria Secret ad by Heidi Klum..."Santa Baby"

Santa please give me a present like this...i will be a nice boy rest of my life... :twisted: :mrgreen:

Crash
12-15-2010, 12:11 PM
BA says "we will not change our gameplan"

They have to a point. They are getting Sanders and A. Brown involved more, ARE involved less, and Wallace more involved with YAC yards.

What do you want? BA to announce to the rest of the world what they plan to do?

Mister Pittsburgh
12-15-2010, 01:50 PM

That's the real problem right there. They did change the game plan. Remember the big year Ben and Wrs had last year? Remember all those TDs in the redzone? Ah, but there was an issue with that.

The fans, defense and the owner all hollered, they need to get back to Steeler's football. We all know what that is, run baby run. Well that is what BA has done this year, run the damn football. He's doing that, and now he's predictable. Troy last year was complaining that because they didn't run the ball, the defense was on the field more. Sure they were on the field more. But it was because the offense was scoring TDs quickly. Now look at the offense. They again have a weak o-line, but because Ben isn't going to the no-huddle much, they can't score in the redzone. Well people this is what you get when you play Steeler's football on offense in this day in age.

"I think Mike and I certainly agreed coming off the season that we need to run the ball more consistently to get to where we want to get to," Rooney told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette yesterday. "So that's part of the thinking in the offseason: We need to figure out how to get better running the football."

Rooney said his coach has conveyed that to offensive coordinator Bruce Arians. "Mike has talked to Bruce about that."

The Steelers ran only 42.2 percent of the time in 2009, although their 112.1 yards a game were nearly seven more than their Super Bowl season of 2008. However, Rooney's point is not so much those statistics, but the inconsistency throughout the season.

"We have to get back to being able to run the football when we need to run the football, and being able to run more consistently than we have in the past season," he said.

He never said we had to run the ball MORE.
He said we have run the ball when we need to and be more consistant running the ball.

feltdizz
12-15-2010, 01:59 PM

They have to a point. They are getting Sanders and A. Brown involved more, ARE involved less, and Wallace more involved with YAC yards.

:Agree

he used the bb gun... we ran more slants and more quick hitting pass plays to the young guys and people still scream for BA to change.

SteelTorch
12-15-2010, 02:07 PM

Running the ball more doesn't equal running predictably, which is exactly what he's doing. He's running the ball waaaay too predictably. Lots of teams run the ball a lot and do it well, even today (see the Giants). The problem is, we still have the same problem we did last year - we're not running it EFFECTIVELY. However, you won't see me saying we need to run it more. Ben is still our best player, we should be focusing the offense on him.

Secondly, that whole "time of possession problem" is a COMPLETE myth. We were ranked 3rd in time of possession last year, and yes, we even possessed the ball on average more than our opponents in the 4th quarter. We sucked last year because our pass defense stank, our offense was inefficient, and both sides of the ball had big problems on 3rd down (offense didn't convert enough 3rd downs, defense couldn't get off the field on third down).

birtikidis
12-15-2010, 02:10 PM

crash you're kidding me right? aren't yo uthe same one who complains when we run the same exact crap over and over again? how is this playing to our strengths? aren't you the one that says how great of a gameplanner belicheat is? are you the only one allowed to say that? when someone else does you automatically disagree with it? getting players involved is not adjusting your gameplan, it's adjusting your personel. they're doing the same crap plays and they're predictable.

birtikidis
12-15-2010, 02:18 PM

You're totally missing the point. maybe you can't read. You couldn't read when ARII said that we had to run the ball EFFECTIVELY not more. You couldn't read when it's genearlly agreed upon upon that we are too predictable. you couldn't read when I said gameplan for the opponents weakness. Hell you probably cant even read what I'm writing right now. Bruce Arians has said repeatedly that he won't change his gameplan. he is committed to one thing and that's what he's gonna do. It's foolish. You'd never hear the *'s coaches say something that stupid. worst part is.. he says it and then that's exactly what he do the same exact stupid crap.

Crash
12-15-2010, 02:20 PM

crash you're kidding me right? aren't yo uthe same one who complains when we run the same exact crap over and over again? how is this playing to our strengths? aren't you the one that says how great of a gameplanner belicheat is? are you the only one allowed to say that? when someone else does you automatically disagree with it? getting players involved is not adjusting your gameplan, it's adjusting your personel. they're doing the same crap plays and they're predictable.

They have changed some things. To take BA's "we won't change our game plan" words literally is stupid. They have changed some aspects from earlier in the season.

That's the point son.

birtikidis
12-15-2010, 02:23 PM

They have changed some things. To take BA's "we won't change our game plan" words literally is stupid. They have changed some aspects from earlier in the season.

That's the point son.
not really crash. look where our problems are. Redzone. NOTHING has changed. figure it out. that's the point. that's where our offense FAILS over and over again. and that SON is the point.

birtikidis
12-15-2010, 02:31 PM
btw to the guy who said we were so prolific in scoring last year..
2009 we averaged 23 ppg
2010 so far we average 22.3 ppg
not a huge difference.. especially considering we essentially started a guy who shouldn't even have made the team for our first four games...

RuthlessBurgher
12-15-2010, 02:41 PM

We are currently 10-3 and on the verge of clinching a bye in the playoffs, and you are pining for what we were doing during last year's non-playoff season? Seriously?

Let's make sure we get a bunch of quick TD's for Ben and the wideouts...winning and playoffs be damned!

Oviedo
12-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Running EFFECTIVELY requires an effective OL. We don't have one therefore we will not be able to run the ball EFFECTIVELY.

So quit :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger and just go to the pass early and often with short quick strikes.

birtikidis
12-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Running EFFECTIVELY requires an effective OL. We don't have one therefore we will not be able to run the ball EFFECTIVELY.

So quit :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger and just go to the pass early and often with short quick strikes.
that would mean we'd have to GAMEPLAN.. which, btw, is waht I've been complaining about.

btw, to the guy who said something about "all those redzone td's last year"

Red Zone TD scoring percentage by year:
2010 45%
2009: 48%
2008: 54%
2007: 54%
2006: 50%
2005: 55%
2004: 47%

feltdizz
12-15-2010, 02:48 PM

that sounds great... but Ben isn't that type of QB... he will pump and try to go long and take a sack or break the pocket. It's who he is.. it's why we have 2 more rings... it's what he does well.

dink and dunk be damned.

feltdizz
12-15-2010, 02:51 PM

that would mean we'd have to GAMEPLAN.. which, btw, is waht I've been complaining about.

2010 45%

who cares... all I care about is the O in the playoffs. People are making to much out of these last few games...

I'll admit, I was one of them but you know what? #### it! We have won a few SB's the last few years... I like our chances.

birtikidis
12-15-2010, 02:53 PM

2010 45%

who cares... all I care about is the O in the playoffs. People are making to much out of these last few games...

I'll admit, I was one of them but you know what? #### it! We have won a few SB's the last few years... I like our chances.
the best predictor of future performance is current and former performance...
we haven't been able to score all season.. our offense has went how many possessions without a td? kinda troubling if you ask me.

Oviedo
12-15-2010, 02:53 PM

that sounds great... but Ben isn't that type of QB... he will pump and try to go long and take a sack or break the pocket. It's who he is.. it's why we have 2 more rings... it's what he does well.

dink and dunk be damned.

If that is true then Arians isn't the problem, Ben is the problem. Ben needs to adapt just like Brady has done in the post Moss era. We do not have an OL of the quality of 2005 or 2008. You can't be stubborn and try to force a square peg into a round hole.

birtikidis
12-15-2010, 02:54 PM

dink and dunk be damned.
did you watch the Baltimore Houson game? did you see how the OC adjusted to the three man rush by baltimore? pretty impressive if you ask me.

birtikidis
12-15-2010, 02:56 PM

dink and dunk be damned.

If that is true then Arians isn't the problem, Ben is the problem. Ben needs to adapt just like Brady has done in the post Moss era. We do not have an OL of the quality of 2005 or 2008. You can't be stubborn and try to force a square peg into a round hole.
It's been a long time since our OL was any good. every year we complain about how bad they are. this year and last aren't the first times. granted, this year they're probably at their lowest, due to injuries, but there isn't a lot you can do about that. though, you can gameplan to hide your weaknesses.

feltdizz
12-15-2010, 03:01 PM

dink and dunk be damned.

we have the quality of 2008. They sucked....

The only thing I blame Ben for is not demanding better OL talent.

Ben is who he is.... the blame falls on the FO for keeping scrubs to protect a franchise QB who likes to break the pocket and extend plays.

Brady didn't change a damn thing post Moss IMO... he just doesn't have the Moss option over the top. He has always been a dink and dunk QB. He doesn't have to change a thing... but if and when teams take away the dink and dunk let's see if they have any changes in place.

feltdizz
12-15-2010, 03:04 PM

dink and dunk be damned.

It's been a long time since our OL was any good. every year we complain about how bad they are. this year and last aren't the first times. granted, this year they're probably at their lowest, due to injuries, but there isn't a lot you can do about that. though, you can gameplan to hide your weaknesses.

how do you game plan to hide that weakness? If they are worse than 2008? How? I'm sick of hearing about shotgun and quick passes. We did that last game and held the ball for 34 minutes... but regardless of how many times you do it eventually there will be a play or 2 in a drive where the OL has to to their job. Those are the times they have held or failed and it wipes out all the good.

birtikidis
12-15-2010, 03:13 PM

dink and dunk be damned.

how do you game plan to hide that weakness? If they are worse than 2008? How? I'm sick of hearing about shotgun and quick passes. We did that last game and held the ball for 34 minutes... but regardless of how many times you do it eventually there will be a play or 2 in a drive where the OL has to to their job. Those are the times they have held or failed and it wipes out all the good.
ever hear of a screen pass... or draw?
re-watch the houston/denver game. they couldn't stop a three man rush they were so bad but, they did just that and moved the ball.
or you could run a few quick outs or slants.
the only quick hitting pass we throw is the screen to ward.

Crash
12-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Ben does dink and dunk, Ben does 3 step.

What Ben does not do, which leads to a ton of sacks/hits, is believe in a 5 yard dink on 3rd and 10 and then punt the ball.

He'd rather hold the ball, and hope to make a play, then give up on one.

And I'm tired of the "throw it away" crap. Most sacks he takes are in the pocket. When you throw it away to avoid a sack? That's grounding.

Outside the pocket, he has been doing a better job of throwing the ball away.

feltdizz
12-15-2010, 03:17 PM
re-watch the houston/denver game. they couldn't stop a three man rush they were so bad but, they did just that and moved the ball.

have you seen our OL try to run a screen? It's Barnum & Bailey

a draw? yeah right... that has -5 written all over it.

I saw more slants and quick passes...

and Crash.. Ben is not a dink and dunk QB. Sorry but he is not and it's worked well for us over the years.

birtikidis
12-15-2010, 03:18 PM

and Crash.. Ben is not a dink and dunk QB. Sorry but he is not and it's worked well for us over the years.
have we run a slip screen at all this year? I don't think so.
and yea, right now a draw is -5 because defenses know we won't run a middle screen. ALL we run screen wise is that bubble screen.

feltdizz
12-15-2010, 03:20 PM

What Ben does not do, which leads to a ton of sacks/hits, is believe in a 5 yard dink on 3rd and 10 and then punt the ball.

And I'm tired of the "throw it away" crap. Most sacks he takes are in the pocket. When you throw it away to avoid a sack? That's grounding.

when he took that 2nd sack that forced a punt... he could have thrown it away IMO.

The guy does everything to hear you tell it... and the things he says he needs to work on are just for sound bites.

Ben is a good QB but damn... every response is "he does that"

birtikidis
12-15-2010, 03:23 PM

when he took that 2nd sack that forced a punt... he could have thrown it away IMO.

The guy does everything to hear you tell it... and the things he says he needs to work on are just for sound bites.

Ben is a good QB but damn... every response is "he does that"
Ben's biggest weakness is still the check down. he's improved, but still not in brady's league.

Crash
12-15-2010, 03:24 PM
He could have thrown it away on the 2nd down. On 3rd down? No shot.

But BA also should have just spread them out, run a shotgun draw, and go up 9 points in the 4th.

Situational football. That's probably the worst aspect of our staff.

birtikidis
12-15-2010, 03:26 PM
He could have thrown it away on the 2nd down. On 3rd down? No shot.

But BA also should have just spread them out, run a shotgun draw, and go up 9 points in the 4th.

Situational football. That's probably the worst aspect of our staff.
See Crash we CAN agree on something. I think we have a great offense between the 20's.. it's when we get down there that we have trouble adjusting.

Crash
12-15-2010, 03:37 PM

And Wallace, and Antonio Brown.

Slants to Wallace, slant to A. Brown on 3rd down also.

3rd and longs are what kills them.

And insisting on trying to "impose our will" on 1st down in the redzone.

birtikidis
12-15-2010, 04:04 PM

And Wallace, and Antonio Brown.

Slants to Wallace, slant to A. Brown on 3rd down also.

3rd and longs are what kills them.

And insisting on trying to "impose our will" on 1st down in the redzone.
I'm talking about with consistency. Yea we throw those types of passes to other guys, but you know, 9 out of 10 times we're gonna throw 1 of 2 passes to Wallace.
you're absolutely right about 3rd and long. we tend to have a not very good 1st down, or so it seems anyway.

Crash
12-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Brown has only begun to take a more active role in the offense. Ditto with Sanders.

Can't throw them the ball if they aren't in the game.

birtikidis
12-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Brown has only begun to take a more active role in the offense. Ditto with Sanders.

Can't throw them the ball if they aren't in the game.
what does that have to do with anything? the point is, you gameplan for your teams strengths. if those guys aren't playing, then you gameplan to ARE, Wallace and Wards strengths. you can't sit on the sideline and whine that your rooks aren't ready. you prepare for the game with what you have to the best of their abilities.

Crash
12-15-2010, 06:20 PM
the point is, you gameplan for your teams strengths.

Arians tried that. He put the ball in the hands of his $100 million QB.

That wasn't good enough. Fans and ownership wanted to run the ball.

BURGH86STEEL
12-15-2010, 06:28 PM

and yea, right now a draw is -5 because defenses know we won't run a middle screen. ALL we run screen wise is that bubble screen.

They ran screens to the RB's and TE's all season. They attempted a miss direction screen against the Ravens. They faked a screen to one side of the field and attempted to throw the screen on the other side to Mendenhall. Ravens were all over it. There are several examples throughout the season. Fans often forget what actually happened. The speed of the game and so many different plays and formations are run through a game that fans tend to forget.

Just face the fact that the Steelers are not a very good screen team. That's probably why they don't attempt them more often. They haven't been a very good screen team since 2004 or 2005. I can't tell you why that's the case. Maybe because they don't have athletic enough linemen to execute those plays consistently well? A lot more analysis then I can provide would be necessary to determine why they struggle in the screen game.

birtikidis
12-15-2010, 06:44 PM
the point is, you gameplan for your teams strengths.

Arians tried that. He put the ball in the hands of his $100 million QB.

That wasn't good enough. Fans and ownership wanted to run the ball.
no, fans wanted more effective running. not more running of the ball. they wanted more 1st and goal from the one conversions. more third and one conversions. more situational conversions. you equate that with just MORE. which, you tend to do a lot of (take only one part of something being said).

birtikidis
12-15-2010, 06:46 PM

They ran screens to the RB's and TE's all season. They attempted a miss direction screen against the Ravens. They faked a screen to one side of the field and attempted to throw the screen on the other side to Mendenhall. Ravens were all over it. There are several examples throughout the season. Fans often forget what actually happened. The speed of the game and so many different plays and formations are run through a game that fans tend to forget.

Just face the fact that the Steelers are not a very good screen team. That's probably why they don't attempt them more often. They haven't been a very good screen team since 2004 or 2005. I can't tell you why that's the case. Maybe because they don't have athletic enough linemen to execute those plays consistently well? A lot more analysis then I can provide would be necessary to determine why they struggle in the screen game.
:HeadBanger
3 examples a season does not make.
we do not run a lot of screens. we RARELY run them. go back and watch.

feltdizz
12-15-2010, 07:57 PM

:HeadBanger
3 examples a season does not make.
we do not run a lot of screens. we RARELY run them. go back and watch.

you totally ignored every line that implied more than 3 times. :wink:

Crash
12-15-2010, 07:58 PM
no, fans wanted more effective running. not more running of the ball.

BS. The offense was actually getting blamed for SCORING TOO QUICKLY!

Stiller Football: Run the ball, control the clock, that's what people were crying about.

That's what they wanted.

birtikidis
12-15-2010, 10:23 PM
yea, because it rarely happens.

SteelTorch
12-15-2010, 11:21 PM
Actually, yes they did. :? And I can't even count how many times that was requested because they believed ToP was what hurt us last season.

birtikidis
12-15-2010, 11:24 PM
Actually, yes they did. :? And I can't even count how many times that was requested because they believed ToP was what hurt us last season.
maybe on here.
fans have little bearing on the gameplan though.

hawaiiansteel
12-15-2010, 11:30 PM
Offense a score subject for Steelers, Jets

By: Mike Bires Beaver County Times
Wednesday December 15, 2010 12:17 AM

http://media.timesonline.com/thumb/368x276/15jets_web760766.jpg

Mark Sanchez (6) and the Jets have been grounded on offense of late. Newsday photo by DAVID POKRESS

Touchdowns are being scored with more frequency than ever before in the NFL. But when the Steelers host the Jets on Sunday, no one expects either team to light up the Heinz Field scoreboard.

They are defensive-minded playoff contenders who’ve struggled at times offensively. That’s especially been true in recent weeks. The Jets (9-4) have gone two straight games without a touchdown. The Steelers (10-3) scored three TDs in the past two weeks. But two came on interception returns by safety Troy Polamau and linebacker LaMarr Woodley while the other came on a 9-yard drive set up by a takeaway from the defense.

This week’s game, a showdown of huge consequence in the AFC, could be a low-scoring affair decided by the kickers.

Could this be a 9-6 decision?

“We want to score touchdowns,” Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. “In the recent past, we haven’t done as well as we would like. There are a myriad of reasons, and usually they’re centered around execution.”

Based on the amount of touchdowns scored throughout the league in the first 14 weeks of the season, it’s projected that 750 will be scored by the time the regular season concludes Jan. 2.

The Jets are currently tied for 22nd in the league with 28 TDs — nine rushing, 17 passing, one by their defense and one on special teams.

The Steelers are tied for 17th with 31 TDs — 10 rushing, 17 passing, three by their defense and one on special teams.

Why are the Jets finding it hard to reach the end zone?

The main reason is inconsistent play by quarterback Mark Sanchez, the fifth overall pick in last year’s draft, who’s been struggling in recent weeks. Sanchez ranks 28th in the NFL with a 74.2 passer rating.

The Steelers don’t have a quarterback problem. Ben Roethlisberger ranks seventh with a 94.8 passer rating. Still, the Steelers have struggled to score touchdowns.

Part of the problem is inconsistency on an offensive line that’s had its share of injuries.

Another part of the problem is the rash of holding penalties the Steelers are taking. They were flagged six times for holding in a 19-16 overtime win in Buffalo on Nov. 28. And they were flagged another six times for holding in Sundays’ 23-7 win over Cincinnati in which the defense scored twice.

On the Steelers’ first possession of the second half last week, they marched deep in Bengals’ territory and had a first-and-goal at the 9-yard line. But on first down, tight end David Johnson was called for holding. That drive ended with a Shaun Suisham field goal.

On the Steelers’ next possession, they controlled the ball for 9 minutes and 22 seconds. They ran off 15 plays, picked up four first downs and gained 80 yards. But still they had to punt. That’s because three holding penalties called against tackle Jonathan Scott, tight end Matt Spaeth and tackle Flozell Adams wiped out 30 yards of offense.

“We need to cut down on holding,” Tomlin said. “No question holding occurs just about on every snap in the National Football League. I think anybody in this industry will acknowledge that, and so what we need to do is cut down on the actions that are triggering the flags.”

Going into Sunday’s game against the Jets, the Steelers rank 27th in the league in red zone offense. New York is even worse at No. 30.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2010/december/15/offense-a-score-subject-for-steelers-jets.html

Mister Pittsburgh
12-16-2010, 12:50 AM

2010 45%

Yeah, not sure what that dude was talking about. Our redzone offense sucked last year too. It even showed some signs of sucking in 2008. Remember Arians creative Superbowl calls in the redzone that resulted in FG's?

Part of what angers me the most. He showed no signs of learning from those problems we had last year, so I am not surprised that we struggle with the same issues this year.

hawaiiansteel
12-16-2010, 02:46 PM

NICE!

+1

Somehow the photo reminds me of Victoria Secret ad by Heidi Klum..."Santa Baby"

Santa please give me a present like this...i will be a nice boy rest of my life... :twisted: :mrgreen:

I love when she messes up my bed... :D

http://coedmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/steelers-girl-35.jpg?w=580

feltdizz
12-16-2010, 03:14 PM
what happened to her big azz slippers? Does she have 7 toes? :lol:

Those Bettis Bus slippers are whatever she has on her feet in the first photo are a no no.

hawaiiansteel
12-16-2010, 07:00 PM
does it sound like there might be a little dissension going on here between Ben and Arians?

Ed: Heath Miller Not Practicing

THURSDAY, 16 DECEMBER 2010 14:19 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Some afternoon delights for you:

--- I have not yet gone out to practice yet but word is Heath Miller’s not practicing. That’s not good news. Maybe he had a relapse on the concussion after practicing Wednesday. That is part of the concussion tests they must go through – see how they react after practice. I hope to have more after practice.

--- Ben Roethlisberger tells me that one reason he believes the Steelers have been so unsuccessful in the red zone is because they’re trying to get it all in one play. He said both he and Bruce Arians have talked about it this week and they’re making efforts to view it as a package of plays rather than trying to get into the end zone on first down.

--- Mike Tomlin pointed out that the Steelers got Bryant McFadden for Santonio Holmes because they used the fifth-round pick they got from the Jets and sent it to the Cardinals for McFadden. But also part of that deal was the sixth-round pick the Cardinals sent to the Steelers. That turned out to be Antonio Brown.

--- The Steelers are not using the no-huddle offense nearly as often as they have in the past. Roethlisberger would like to use it more.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... practicing (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports-town/steelers/106987-ed-heath-miller-not-practicing)

RuthlessBurgher
12-16-2010, 07:24 PM
what happened to her big azz slippers? Does she have 7 toes? :lol:

Those Bettis Bus slippers are whatever she has on her feet in the first photo are a no no.

She's wearing slippers? That was news to me.

Both her feet could have been amputated, bloody stumps and most of the guys here probably wouldn't have even noticed that.

hawaiiansteel
12-17-2010, 03:00 AM
Bruce Arians speaks

December 16th, 2010

Here are some excerpts from Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians’ weekly chat with reporters Thursday.

Q: How concerned are you by the offense’s inability to score touchdowns in recent weeks?

A: “It’s going to work itself out. We’ve just got to make some plays. The two areas that have been poor are our running game, and our first and 10 passing has not been very good. Probably a little bit my fault going for the end zone too much instead of going for a couple of short ones but it always works itself out.”

Q: Do you steer clear of throwing at a cornerback at good as Darrelle Revis or do you have to avoid having that kind of mindset?

A: “You read your reads and the coverage dictates where you’re going to throw. When you start throwing away from people you start throwing into coverage. Guys have got to beat him and you’ve got to throw it and catch it. He is a heck of a player as is Antonio (Cromartie) but you can’t dodge players whether it was Deion Sanders or whoever it was in the past.”

Q: How tall of a task will it be for the offensive line to keep quarterback Ben Roethlisberger upright against the Jets?

A: “(Jets head coach) Rex (Ryan) has always had a fantastic blitz package. It’s very similar to the Steelers in that they have a lot of confusion before the snap. Add a little confusion to a very good pass rush and your offensive line’s got their hands full. Same thing when James Harrison and (LaMarr) Woodley are running around. You’re not thinking about your set, you’re thinking about who the heck you’ve got.”

Q: How impressed were you with Jets center Nick Mangold when he was coming out of college?

A: “I thought he was going to be a good player. I wouldn’t trade (Maurkice) Pouncey for him.”

Q: How much of a concern are the holding penalties that have been called against the Steelers, and how do you rectify that problem?

A: “You can call (holding) on every play if you want to. We’ve bounced outside and made some long runs, and their judgment was we restricted a guy. Our judgment was we let go. You can’t win so you’ve got to keep your hands in and you’ve got to do a better job of getting the body in position. Most of our holding penalties have occurred on the inside running play that has bounced outside. If a guy’s got inside out position he has to feel the defender and let him go because Rashard (Mendenhall) will outrun him. It’s better technique and knowing when to let go.”

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the- ... ox+Blog%29 (http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/12/16/bruce-arians-speaks-2/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29)

birtikidis
12-17-2010, 02:07 PM
"it's going to work itself out..."
that is kind of a scary quote right there.
not, "we have to do a better job of calling plays"
or "I'm a ****head a$$hole who refuses to put a FB in front of our RB on 1st and goal from the 1"
nope, we get "it's going to work things out..."
hopefully he never sees a car accident... I could just see him driving by "it's going to work itself out" as he whistles on his way to the steelers complex.

Crash
12-17-2010, 02:12 PM
--- Ben Roethlisberger tells me that one reason he believes the Steelers have been so unsuccessful in the red zone is because they’re trying to get it all in one play. He said both he and Bruce Arians have talked about it this week and they’re making efforts to view it as a package of plays rather than trying to get into the end zone on first down

Again, 24 first down plays with Ben.

19 passes, 5 runs.

Ben's defending BA, Ben is being a leader.

Ben always wants to run no huddle more. Nothing new.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-17-2010, 02:12 PM
I don't get how they are acting like the redzone issues are only a recent development. They have sucked in the redzone since the Superbowl vs. the Cardinals.

NorthCoast
12-17-2010, 02:19 PM
In light of the Ben quote in another thread, I suspect there is equal blame on Ben and Arians for the red zone plays. But honestly, I don't see which plays he is referring to "going for the TD in one play". It seems running plays can't be considered going for it and I don't think they have thrown that many passes into the endzone from the 20 yd line.

Djfan
12-17-2010, 03:24 PM
"It has been a bit inconsistent, but these things always work themselves out." BA on 93.7 the fan.

NOT HEY DON'T DIPWAD! You are the coach. YOU have to work them out.

I just don't get him.

feltdizz
12-17-2010, 03:27 PM
I don't get how they are acting like the redzone issues are only a recent development. They have sucked in the redzone since the Superbowl vs. the Cardinals.

I think they sucked the whole year leading up to the SB.

feltdizz
12-17-2010, 03:31 PM
In light of the Ben quote in another thread, I suspect there is equal blame on Ben and Arians for the red zone plays. But honestly, I don't see which plays he is referring to "going for the TD in one play". It seems running plays can't be considered going for it and I don't think they have thrown that many passes into the endzone from the 20 yd line.

I think the mindset of Ben and BA is to get the TD on one play....

These 2 were made for each other. It's nothing new though, we have always had a stretch of games where the O looks like trash.

We will break out of it in a week or 2.

MaxAMillion
12-17-2010, 03:45 PM
Completely agree with the tone of the article. Some fans will blame Arians if it is raining outside. We have the absolute worst OL in all of football...I guess that is Arians fault. The Bills didn't even want to keep Jonathan Scott but I guess it is Arians that Scott can't block anyone (at least without holding). I guess it is also Arians fault that Holmes go traded (thus making the passing game and the offense weaker).

The Steelers offense was more effective last year than this year and the same guy was calling plays obviously something changed (See Holmes and two healthy starting OT). Arians was also calling plays when Willie Parker was leading the league in rushing through 13 games. Of course then Smith and Faneca were starting for the Steelers and both players were better than anything the Steelers have now playing OL.

This offense stinks because the personnel stinks. This organization has not been effective in fixing this OL. They have struggled in evaluation of OL personnel. Tom Brady would not be good playing behind this crap. I wish another OC could magically take over calling plays this week so people could see that the playcalling does not prevent the OL from blocking someone.

Oviedo
12-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Completely agree with the tone of the article. Some fans will blame Arians if it is raining outside. We have the absolute worst OL in all of football...I guess that is Arians fault. The Bills didn't even want to keep Jonathan Scott but I guess it is Arians that Scott can't block anyone (at least without holding). I guess it is also Arians fault that Holmes go traded (thus making the passing game and the offense weaker).

The Steelers offense was more effective last year than this year and the same guy was calling plays obviously something changed (See Holmes and two healthy starting OT). Arians was also calling plays when Willie Parker was leading the league in rushing through 13 games. Of course then Smith and Faneca were starting for the Steelers and both players were better than anything the Steelers have now playing OL.

This offense stinks because the personnel stinks. This organization has not been effective in fixing this OL. They have struggled in evaluation of OL personnel. Tom Brady would not be good playing behind this crap. I wish another OC could magically take over calling plays this week so people could see that the playcalling does not prevent the OL from blocking someone.

:Agree Fix the OL and Arians will look alot smarter. However, I think that he should not get another contract and we get a fresh start.

birtikidis
12-17-2010, 04:15 PM
It's funny how people want to blame the OL and make it out to be our biggest weakness in one thread, and then in another, they don't want to go after OL in the draft.. they want DB's.. weird.
in one thread they talk about how terrible our guards are, especially Essex, but they clamor for a cb in the 1st round.
in another thread people go on and on about how Kemo gets turned around and beat like a drum.. but they prefer OT in the first round.
Of course, they fail to realize that both of our tackles wouldn't be starting, maybe not even on the team, if there weren't injuries. waht do you expect? they either came in just before camp or shouldn't be starting. How do you think they're gonna perform? there are back ups starting all along the O-line.
Adams is old. So i can see why people want a young tackle. but seriously, are our coaches so terrible that they can't develop Foster, Essex, Scott (the rook), Hills, or anyone else? Seriously?
and I'm not pointing fingers at anyone. this is just a common theme here. Mob mentallity from thread to thread.

Djfan
12-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Personally, I'm a very big fan of drafting O line guys a lot. I have also advocated for more free agents.

Still, I feel that you can have all Alan Faneca in his prime type guys on that line, and BA will not be very creative.

birtikidis
12-17-2010, 04:25 PM
Personally, I'm a very big fan of drafting O line guys a lot. I have also advocated for more free agents.

Still, I feel that you can have all Alan Faneca in his prime type guys on that line, and BA will not be very creative.
you're absolutely right. we could have the best o-line ever and he wouldn't be able to come up with a gameplan.
he's say "... well it'll work itself out"

Oviedo
12-17-2010, 04:29 PM
It's funny how people want to blame the OL and make it out to be our biggest weakness in one thread, and then in another, they don't want to go after OL in the draft.. they want DB's.. weird.
in one thread they talk about how terrible our guards are, especially Essex, but they clamor for a cb in the 1st round.
in another thread people go on and on about how Kemo gets turned around and beat like a drum.. but they prefer OT in the first round.
Of course, they fail to realize that both of our tackles wouldn't be starting, maybe not even on the team, if there weren't injuries. waht do you expect? they either came in just before camp or shouldn't be starting. How do you think they're gonna perform? there are back ups starting all along the O-line.
Adams is old. So i can see why people want a young tackle. but seriously, are our coaches so terrible that they can't develop Foster, Essex, Scott (the rook), Hills, or anyone else? Seriously?
and I'm not pointing fingers at anyone. this is just a common theme here. Mob mentallity from thread to thread.

While it may be amusing for you it is not inconsistent at all. It is all a matter of analyzing the avaialable talent pool in the draft and determining where you get the best value for your 1st Round pick.

If there is a quality OT when we pick then that makes sense to take that player because OT is a premium position just like CB. However you have to add a little more thought if your option is a Guard even though you need a Guard simply because Guards tend to be available in greater quantities in later round than a good OT of good CB.

But keep smiling!!!!

birtikidis
12-17-2010, 05:03 PM

While it may be amusing for you it is not inconsistent at all. It is all a matter of analyzing the avaialable talent pool in the draft and determining where you get the best value for your 1st Round pick.

If there is a quality OT when we pick then that makes sense to take that player because OT is a premium position just like CB. However you have to add a little more thought if your option is a Guard even though you need a Guard simply because Guards tend to be available in greater quantities in later round than a good OT of good CB.

But keep smiling!!!!
it's amusing to me, because foolish people reach for a tackles becauswe they were told that OT is a "premium" position, so they draft a guy, who isn't even top 5 at his position, jsut because it's premium. then 2 years later, said premium pick is looking for work, or at best, a back up tackle. meanwhile, they let the best guy at his position slide by and then kick themselves a few years later because they passed on him. do you know how many people, people just like you ovi, who scoffed when i said we needed to draft #53? nearly everyone.
our biggest weakness on our team is OL. but it's not at tackle.. though, we have a lot of injuries there, our Guards are the guys we would have started at the beginning of the season anyway. our RG is the new Sean Mahan. everyone they stick in there is terrible. Do i think we need a tackle in the future, yes absolutely. do i think we may already have a guy that can play tackle on our team in the future. yes i do. unfortunately his development is being delayed because we want to play him at guard.

birtikidis
12-17-2010, 05:05 PM
and ovi, if you think that a future pro-bowl quality tackle is gonna fall to us, you're crazy.

birtikidis
12-17-2010, 05:06 PM
and ovi, if you think that a future pro-bowl quality tackle is gonna fall to us, you're crazy.
at least, in terms of can't miss prospect type tackle.

feltdizz
12-17-2010, 05:09 PM
We are 10-3 and our OL stinks...

If I'm the GM and have been going BPA the last few years why would I change my strategy given the injuries on the OL?

It's hard to justify going OL this draft when you have won a SB with a horrible OL and our 10-3 with this group.

Don't be surprised if we go BPA or CB/DL early in the draft.

Oviedo
12-17-2010, 05:10 PM

Don't know if a guy is future Pro Bowl because the selection for Pro Bowl is a joke so I don't care. I just want to get a player who significantly improves the position over the talent level we have there now whether that is OT, CB or OG. Whether he makes the Pro Bowl is meaningless.

birtikidis
12-17-2010, 05:13 PM

Don't know if a guy is future Pro Bowl because the selection for Pro Bowl is a joke so I don't care. I just want to get a player who significantly improves the position over the talent level we have there now whether that is OT, CB or OG. Whether he makes the Pro Bowl is meaningless.
Felt, I don't think we change our draft strategy. I think we go best player available. that's why i keep saying pouncey. :lol:
Ovi, by pro-bowler, i mean good. i agree with you about the selection process. Hell all I want is our guards to actually be guards. not converted tackles or centers. is that too much to ask?

RuthlessBurgher
12-17-2010, 05:13 PM

If I'm the GM and have been going BPA the last few years why would I change my strategy given the injuries on the OL?

It's hard to justify going OL this draft when you have won a SB with a horrible OL and our 10-3 with this group.

We always go best player available in round 1 under Colbert, and his track record with his top pick is unmatched by anyone in the league over the past decade. The last time we reached for need in round 1 was the Troy Edwards disaster, which was in the Donahoe days. They panicked when Torry Holt and David Boston were off the board, and took their next highest rated WR, even with guys like John Tait and Jevon Kearse still available.

Oviedo
12-17-2010, 05:14 PM

Sorry Dizz--usually agree with you alot but the injuries have exposed serious issues with the OL and should have shown that the guys who have filled in are not legitimate starter capable players for the future.

You really want to have among your back ups on the OL at least one OG and one OT who can push for playing time and challenge the incumbant starters. We aren't even close to that. Essex, Foster, Scott, Lugursky and the other Scott are never going to challenge anyone to be a starter unless there is an injury and they inherit the position as a result.

birtikidis
12-17-2010, 05:15 PM
put it this way... guys wanted us to draft Iupata last year at our pick...
well Pouncey is a much better guard then Iupata so, why the flack for taking him later?

MCHammer
12-17-2010, 05:21 PM
If Arians had the OL that Cowher had in the mid-90's (considered one of the best in the league at the time) that offense would have had TONS of points and yards in the air and on the ground.

Maybe somebody already said this, but this argument assumes Arians isn't at least partially responsible for the O-line's sorry state. The offensive line has been deteriorating for years and until this year's draft we never seriously began to address it. It seemed instead we embarked on a Ben-centric journey away from the running game - which is not a problem it and of itself until you get to the point where the line can't protect Ben, a point we reached well before this year.

This situation is dangerous. We're lucky Ben's career hasn't been ended yet by some freak hit given the pounding he regularly takes.

I haven't seen much urgency in making moves to beef up the line during the draft or offseason apart from this year. Perhaps Arians could have lobbied for some help rather than being content to cram the team full of playtoy TEs.

BURGH86STEEL
12-17-2010, 08:35 PM

Maybe somebody already said this, but this argument assumes Arians isn't at least partially responsible for the O-line's sorry state. The offensive line has been deteriorating for years and until this year's draft we never seriously began to address it. It seemed instead we embarked on a Ben-centric journey away from the running game - which is not a problem it and of itself until you get to the point where the line can't protect Ben, a point we reached well before this year.

This situation is dangerous. We're lucky Ben's career hasn't been ended yet by some freak hit given the pounding he regularly takes.

I haven't seen much urgency in making moves to beef up the line during the draft or offseason apart from this year. Perhaps Arians could have lobbied for some help rather than being content to cram the team full of playtoy TEs.

They attempted to improve the offensive line. They drafted a13 Olinemen since 2004. I believe that's more then any other position. They brought in several UDFA and signed FA's. Fans seem to forget quickly.

It's difficult to argue with the Steelers first round picks. They'v rarely been in a position to draft some of the better Olinemen coming out of college in the first round. One big reason is because the Steelers win. You have to consider the quality of Olinemen coming out of college during that time period. Other team's needs play role in who the Steelers were able to draft. Appears they tried to address the issue with quantity hoping to get lucky with a couple of Olinemen.

I can't knock the organization for the state of the offensive line this season. That's because of the injury situation. 3 of the 4 linemen are backups at this point in their careers. Kemo and Pouncey have been injured at different points of the season.

Ben is responsible for some of the pounding he takes because of his style of play. Does not appear that he wants to change based on his comments. Maybe he will smarten up one day and realize he won't be able to play that way his entire career?

They drafted 2 TE's since BA became the OC. Speath was in the 3rd round and Johnson was a 7th round pick.

Crash
12-17-2010, 08:41 PM
When you force Ben to change? You force Ben to relocate.

Ben's style of play is the least of this teams worries.

hawaiiansteel
12-17-2010, 11:29 PM
On The Steelers: Arians, Roethlisberger agree on red-zone changes

Friday, December 17, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201012/20101217steelers_500.jpg

Matt Freed/Post-Gazette

Steelers' quarterback Ben Roethlisberger on his team's red zone play: "We're trying to take the mentality of not trying to score every time."

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and coordinator Bruce Arians discussed the Steelers' red-zone problems on offense this week, and both came to the same conclusion: They are held back by their eagerness to reach the end zone.

Could the key to scoring six points instead of three actually lie in the philosophy of trying too hard? Might they reach their goal by settling for less on first down?

The Steelers rank 27th in the NFL, scoring touchdowns just 44.4 percent of the time once they pull inside the opponent's 20.

"B.A. and I talked about it a little bit the other day," Roethlisberger said. "I think we both had the same mindset; you get down there and it's 'how can we score on this play?' "

Instead of trying to get it all on first down, they plan to take a different approach.

"We're trying to take the mentality of not trying to score every time," Roethlisberger said. "You know, you get down there and you almost get greedy -- score, score, score, score -- where maybe it's better to take the 5-yard route, put yourself in second-and-5 and now you can run the ball, and, if you get 1 or 2 yards, you're in third-and-short."

Against Cincinnati, the Steelers had first downs at the Bengals' 5 once and at the 9 another time and settled for field goals. They reached the Bengals' 15 on another occasion and punted after going backward. In Baltimore the previous week, they had a first down at the 2 and wound up kicking a field goal.

"Our first-and-10 passing has not been very good," Arians noted. "It's probably a little bit of my fault going for the end zone too much instead of going for a couple short ones."

That was one of two areas Arians mentioned that have failed the Steelers in the red zone. He called the team's running game inside the 20 "poor."

"We're averaging about 1.5 a carry from the 20 down," Arians said. "Actually in our goal-line offense, we've been very, very good; it's just we don't get in there often."

Arians blamed the blocking and not halfback Rashard Mendenhall for the inability to run effectively in the red zone.

"It's not him. We have to block better. It's normal this time of the year. About everything you do is on tape; you're not going to surprise anybody with very many new things. You got to block 'em and make people miss."

The Steelers have cracked the 20 36 times and come away with 16 touchdowns and 16 field goals. It has become exasperating for them recently because the offense has managed just one touchdown in the past 11 quarters, on a 9-yard drive to beat Baltimore after Troy Polamalu created a turnover.

"We want to score touchdowns,'' coach Mike Tomlin proclaimed this week. "In the recent past, we haven't done as well as we'd like. There are a myriad of reasons, usually centered around execution and detail. We're going to work toward getting better this week ... we're not executing in that area to our liking because we're not executing in that area to our liking."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10351/11 ... z18QjukN4e (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10351/1111431-66.stm#ixzz18QjukN4e)

Crash
12-17-2010, 11:41 PM
Could the key to scoring six points instead of three actually lie in the philosophy of trying too hard? Might they reach their goal by settling for less on first down?

19 rushes, 5 pass plays.

They are obviously protecting the OL in the press.

hawaiiansteel
12-18-2010, 02:40 AM
19 rushes, 5 pass plays.

Pittsburgh Steelers Offense, Arians the Great and How To Score Touchdowns

By Joseph Sirimarco (Contributor) on December 17, 2010

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/091/033/BenDivingForTouchdown_crop_340x234.jpg?1292604534

Someone call Emeril Lagasse. The Steelers offense really needs his help, because right now that offense can't beat eggs.

How bad is it?

A 44 percent red-zone conversion rate, good (or should I say, bad) for 27th in the NFL. Two touchdowns in their last 30 offensive possessions. One touchdown in their last eleven quarters.

So bad that Bruce Arians had to have a meeting with Ben Roethlisberger this week to discuss the red-zone problems and ways to score touchdowns. So Arians has to ask Ben how to score touchdowns? Hmmm, what's wrong with that picture? Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

Among the notable quotes from Arians the Great in discussing the subject with the media this week:

"Our first and 10 passing has not been very good. It's probably a little bit of my fault going for the end zone too much instead of going for a couple short ones."

First and 10 passing? What first and 10 passing? Arians must be slamming back shots of tequila before his offense gets to the red zone. That's the only thing I can think of that would cause him to confuse up the middle line plunges on first and second down with "first and 10 passing".

And then there's this one:

"We're averaging about 1.5 yards a carry from the 20 down. Actually, in our goal-line offense, we've been very, very good; it's just we don't get in there often."

The goal-line offense has been very, very good?!? Oh, so that would explain why the offense had first and goal at the Baltimore two yard line and ended up kicking a field goal. Or had first and goal at the Cincinnati five yard line and ended up kicking a field goal. Or had first and 10 at the Cincinnati 15-yard line and ended up kicking a field goal after moving the ball BACKWARDS.

And 1.5 yards per carry? Gee, do you think that cramming the entire offense in a box with no space for a running back to run has anything to do with it? And don't even get me started on wide-receiver screens from the four yard line, with no blocking.

Very, very good? Arians must have lost a few key brain cells somewhere along the way.

And then my personal favorite, with Arians commenting on Rashard Mendenhall's red-zone performance:

"It's not him. We have to block better. It's normal this time of the year. About everything you do is on tape; you're not going to surprise anybody with very many new things. You got to block 'em and make people miss."

Not going to surprise anybody with new things? I suppose that Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, Philip Rivers and Peyton Manning have been so successful because their opponents know exactly what plays they're going to run, and they never try to surprise them.

And when does Arians ever try anything new? I guess that "new" to Arians means having Isaac Redman run up the middle on first and second down, rather than Mendenhall.

Does Bruce Almighty really believe what he is saying? Or even know what he is saying? If so, as one rather famous animated hare might say,'What a maroon!'

I guess, though, lunacy notwithstanding, it's a good thing that Arians is a football coach. If Arians were a chef, Heinz Field would be Hell's Kitchen.

Souffle, anyone?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/546077-the-steelers-offense-arians-the-great-and-how-to-score-touchdowns

NorthCoast
12-18-2010, 10:19 AM

The only justification I can think of for taking OL in the draft is to try to keep our $100M QB in one piece before the age of 30. The beating Ben has taken this season has been tragic, and he didn't even play in the first quarter of the season! But I would not really take OL in the 1st round because usually by the time we pick, the OL talent is not real good value. However, I could see taking OL in the 2nd, 3rd and even 4th.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-18-2010, 10:26 AM
19 rushes, 5 pass plays.

Pittsburgh Steelers Offense, Arians the Great and How To Score Touchdowns

By Joseph Sirimarco (Contributor) on December 17, 2010

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/091/033/BenDivingForTouchdown_crop_340x234.jpg?1292604534

Someone call Emeril Lagasse. The Steelers offense really needs his help, because right now that offense can't beat eggs.

How bad is it?

A 44 percent red-zone conversion rate, good (or should I say, bad) for 27th in the NFL. Two touchdowns in their last 30 offensive possessions. One touchdown in their last eleven quarters.

So bad that Bruce Arians had to have a meeting with Ben Roethlisberger this week to discuss the red-zone problems and ways to score touchdowns. So Arians has to ask Ben how to score touchdowns? Hmmm, what's wrong with that picture? Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

Among the notable quotes from Arians the Great in discussing the subject with the media this week:

"Our first and 10 passing has not been very good. It's probably a little bit of my fault going for the end zone too much instead of going for a couple short ones."

First and 10 passing? What first and 10 passing? Arians must be slamming back shots of tequila before his offense gets to the red zone. That's the only thing I can think of that would cause him to confuse up the middle line plunges on first and second down with "first and 10 passing".

And then there's this one:

"We're averaging about 1.5 yards a carry from the 20 down. Actually, in our goal-line offense, we've been very, very good; it's just we don't get in there often."

The goal-line offense has been very, very good?!? Oh, so that would explain why the offense had first and goal at the Baltimore two yard line and ended up kicking a field goal. Or had first and goal at the Cincinnati five yard line and ended up kicking a field goal. Or had first and 10 at the Cincinnati 15-yard line and ended up kicking a field goal after moving the ball BACKWARDS.

And 1.5 yards per carry? Gee, do you think that cramming the entire offense in a box with no space for a running back to run has anything to do with it? And don't even get me started on wide-receiver screens from the four yard line, with no blocking.

Very, very good? Arians must have lost a few key brain cells somewhere along the way.

And then my personal favorite, with Arians commenting on Rashard Mendenhall's red-zone performance:

Not going to surprise anybody with new things? I suppose that Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, Philip Rivers and Peyton Manning have been so successful because their opponents know exactly what plays they're going to run, and they never try to surprise them.

And when does Arians ever try anything new? I guess that "new" to Arians means having Isaac Redman run up the middle on first and second down, rather than Mendenhall.

Does Bruce Almighty really believe what he is saying? Or even know what he is saying? If so, as one rather famous animated hare might say,'What a maroon!'

I guess, though, lunacy notwithstanding, it's a good thing that Arians is a football coach. If Arians were a chef, Heinz Field would be Hell's Kitchen.

Souffle, anyone?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/546077-the-steelers-offense-arians-the-great-and-how-to-score-touchdowns

BA is either senile, or he is in denial. After hearing these quotes, if I was running the show, he's be packing his bags right now.

hawaiiansteel
12-18-2010, 07:20 PM
the life of an OC is not an easy one, as an OC you are a very easy target if things don't go as well as the fans would like or expect...

December 17 2010

Brian Schottenheimer Feeling Heat in New York

By Chris Harry
Senior NFL Writer

They’ve played dreadfully in back-to-back weeks. The young franchise quarterback seems to have lost all his confidence. And one of the assistant coaches treats his time on NFL sidelines like a bully on an elementary school playground.

So much chaos is going on with the New York Jets that the fire at the feet of their offensive coordinator is a mere sidebar.

Joe Walton and Paul Hackett wished they'd been so lucky.

“It’s not the first time I’ve heard it,” Brian Schottenheimer told Big Apple reporters this week. “But I don’t have time to worry about it.”

SCHOTTY MUST GO! SCHOTTY MUST GO!

That was the chant echoing Sunday through the Meadowlands after the Jets tripped over themselves in losing a 10-6 shootout to the Miami Dolphins and their quarterback who threw for 55 yards.

Make that two straight weeks the Jets have failed to score a touchdown. Over the last three games they are 9-for-33 on third-down conversions and 0-for-3 on fourth down.

Oh, and the Jets (9-4), now very much in need of a victory for their playoff hopes, visit the Pittsburgh Steelers this weekend.

SCHOTTY MUST GO! SCHOTTY MUST GO!

“I’d be lying if I said I didn’t hear it,” the 37-year-old assistant said.

For Schottenheimer, this is nothing new. Not that he’s been the subject for a bunch of stadium catcalls, but he certainly heard similar serenades over the years directed at his father, Marty Schottenheimer, in Cleveland, Kansas City, Washington and San Diego. And that was while Marty was winning 2005 games as a head coach over 21 seasons -- but also losing 13 playoff games.

Brian was often in the stands for that noise.

“It’s always harder on the families,” he said. “I always worry about my wife and kids. My kids are young enough to where they don’t have to deal with it. But it comes with the territory. I know I’m a damn good football coach. I’m good at what I do.”

Players have come to his defense, reminding everyone how good the Jets offense was earlier in the season.

"It ain't Schotty's fault. It's our fault. We need to play better," tailback LaDainian Tomlinson said. "We need to make more things happen when we get the ball in our hands."

In between dealing with league and internal investigations into shenanigans on the sidelines, Rex Ryan fielded some questions about his lack of "O" this week.

"Clearly, we haven't had very good offensive performances the last couple weeks," he said. "It hasn't been our day lately. It doesn't mean that I've lost confidence in the staff. The sting of the last two weeks, in particular, that's what everybody remembers."

That, and some sounds from the stands.

Schottenheimer, who routinely shows up on lists of potential head-coaching candidates, has an answer for what needs to happen to quiet the mob.

“We have to get better at blocking, throwing and catching,” he said.

Maybe even tripping, but hopefully it doesn't come to that.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/12/17/frid ... iday-wthru (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/12/17/friday-walk-thru-brian-schottenheimer-feeling-heat-in-new-york/?icid=nfl|pos1|schottenheimer-friday-wthru)

Crash
12-18-2010, 07:28 PM
BA doesn't want to slam the OL, nor does he want to slam the fact he was told to emphasize the running game, so being a good soldier (as is Ben) he's taking the blame.

hawaiiansteel
12-20-2010, 01:33 AM
hey Brucie, we would like to discuss that draw play to Mewelde Moore on the goal line out of the shotgun formation that resulted in a safety against us with you...

http://firebrucearians.com/Themes/web2_11/images/img/logo.jpg

steelfin
12-20-2010, 01:37 AM
hey Brucie, we would like to discuss that draw play to Mewelde Moore on the goal line out of the shotgun formation that resulted in a safety against us with you...

Its the play that cost us the game....

Although many posters are pinning the blame on the defense.

Crash
12-20-2010, 02:28 AM

Its the play that cost us the game....

Although many posters are pinning the blame on the defense.

The defense didn't play well. They couldn't get off the field and gave up 10 give back points.

hawaiiansteel
12-20-2010, 02:34 AM
The defense didn't play well. They couldn't get off the field and gave up 10 give back points.

true, we just aren't the same defense without Troy and Smitty out there.

I love LeBeau and everything he has done for us, but I was disappointed in his ultra-conservative defensive play-calling today.

Crash
12-20-2010, 02:40 AM
He has no faith in his players. Troy pretty much has free reign out there when he can blitz and when he stays back. It's mostly Troy who decides what Troy does.

All LeBeau shows when Troy is out is lack of confidence in the other 11.

steelfin
12-20-2010, 02:53 AM
What planet are you from? Who do you think you are?

The man has had over 50 years of experience in the league. The defense has been in the top 5 most if not all of his years as DC for the Steelers.

The offense is not good....It has not been good for several years...stats don't lie...Ben is a good QB, we have quite a bit of talent surrounding him....but the OL is week and the OC completely sucks.

Until that gets fixed, you will have to rely on the defense to pull you through...just like it always has.

Who was the DC for the last two SB rings?

Crash
12-20-2010, 03:08 AM
The man has had over 50 years of experience in the league.

Lovely.

But if Ben's offense doesn't go 88 yards in two minutes? LeBeau would own the TWO BIGGEST 4th quarter choke jobs in SB history.

birtikidis
12-20-2010, 03:26 AM
The man has had over 50 years of experience in the league.

Lovely.

But if Ben's offense doesn't go 88 yards in two minutes? LeBeau would own the TWO BIGGEST 4th quarter choke jobs in SB history.
yea, and without DLB defense, we would never have gotten there in the first place. And don't forget, a 100 yard return by one of DLB defensive players is a big reason we didn't lose that game.

Oviedo
12-20-2010, 08:57 AM

true, we just aren't the same defense without Troy and Smitty out there.

I love LeBeau and everything he has done for us, but I was disappointed in his ultra-conservative defensive play-calling today.

LeBeau's play calling yesterday was worse than Arians. We're playing against the second worst rated QB in the league and we put no pressure on him. Where were the blitzes? What are we saving them for?

The scheme on defense let a mediocre inexperienced QB look like good. We gave him so much time to find receivers it was ridiculous.

hawaiiansteel
12-20-2010, 04:22 PM
Ed Bouchette Fired Up After Steelers’ Loss

December 20, 2010 11:18 AM

http://cbspittsburgh.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/107689573_81.jpg?w=420

(Photo by Jared Wickerham/Getty Images)

Pittsburgh (93-7 The FAN) – Post-Gazette Steelers Insider Ed Bouchette joined the Fan Morning Show after the Steelers’ 22-17 loss to the New York Jets on Sunday.

Bouchette was fired up to discuss the safety play in the fourth quarter. He thought the play was “suicide” and the team was trying to commit an “intentional safety.” He doesn’t understand why the team would not just use their running game to game some extra yards.

Bouchette said, Steelers safety Troy Polamalu, who missed the game with and injured right Achilles, would have had two pick-sixes and three sacks with the way Jets QB Mark Sanchez was throwing the ball.

Bouchette saw an improvement in the offensive line over last week and noticed that Rashard Mendenhall was not “tippy-toeing” when he reached the line during a called run. However, the Steelers seemed to have abandoned the run game against the Jets after trying to find it all year.

Bouchette said, the Steelers were averaging 5.9 yards per run and 6 yard per pass but passed the ball 44 times and ran the ball 25 times.

Bouchette tries to comprehend the play calling at the end of the game, where Ben Roethlisberger was throwing to his back-up tight end. Ben should have been looking for Hines Ward on those plays, who is third among active receivers with 47 career TD’s in the red zone, Bouchette said.

http://burgh.us/8m

Oviedo
12-20-2010, 04:25 PM

On Tunch and Wolfley's radio show today they both thought that was a excellent call that had been successful all day for 5 yard gains. As they pointed out you just had Taylor make a great play which happens at times. As they pointed out it isn't always what you do wrong but sometimes the other guys do things right. Bad outcome but I won't fault the play call.

Crash
12-20-2010, 04:35 PM
Bouchette said, the Steelers were averaging 5.9 yards per run and 6 yard per pass but passed the ball 44 times and ran the ball 25 times.

And how many of those 44 passes were on the last drive of each half?

What did Ed want us to do on the final drive? Run the ball?

We couldn't run the ball, because the damn defense couldn't get off the field after we would score.

We only had the ball twice in the 3rd, and one of those drives was a TD drive.

Then, after Flozell's penalty backed the ball up to the 31 on our last drive of the 3rd we ran on both first and second down. Punt.

First drive of the 4th? Back to back running plays, and then a sack on 2nd and 8, we then punt after a 16 yard pass on 3rd and 18.

First play of the next drive? Run play, safety.

Did this assclown even watch the game?

rockonsteel
12-20-2010, 09:19 PM

On Tunch and Wolfley's radio show today they both thought that was a excellent call that had been successful all day for 5 yard gains. As they pointed out you just had Taylor make a great play which happens at times. As they pointed out it isn't always what you do wrong but sometimes the other guys do things right. Bad outcome but I won't fault the play call.

-You don't ask your 5th string tackle, whom you know is suspect, to try to block down and fill for a pulling guard, when your back is to the end zone.

-Furthermore, you don't take your smallest, slowest, weakest RB, put him in shotgun, 7 yds. deep, then give him a handoff from a stationary position.

-Any good DE/DT(and J. Taylor is still a good player), is gonna read the pulling guard, and crash down the LOS behind the pulling guard.

-To blame Scott for not being able to make that block, is like blaming a baby for drinking bleach, when you left the bottle unattended, and open in the middle of the floor.

-There was just so much fundamentally wrong with the design of that play relative to the situation, it ain't funny. That play was setup to fail from the word go. Typical DA(DumbAss), I mean, BA. How you people continue to defend this clown, is absoultely crazy to me....Let me guess, you probably thought the sweep to MM in the K.C. game last year on 4th and short was a good call, they just didn't execute, right? Or maybe the call against Jacksonville couple years ago, when he had Ben run a naked, QB sweep, on 3rd and 4, even though Ben had been caring the Jags up the whole second half. He has so many of these kinda calls over the last three years, it reads like a criminal rapsheet.

-Sad thing is, overall, he called a halfway decent game yesterday, but he all but undid othat with one asinine, abomination of a playcall.

Rockon

steelz09
12-20-2010, 10:09 PM

-You don't ask your 5th string tackle, whom you know is suspect, to try to block down and fill for a pulling guard, when your back is to the end zone.

-Furthermore, you don't take your smallest, slowest, weakest RB, put him in shotgun, 7 yds. deep, then give him a handoff from a stationary position.

-Any good DE/DT(and J. Taylor is still a good player), is gonna read the pulling guard, and crash down the LOS behind the pulling guard.

-To blame Scott for not being able to make that block, is like blaming a baby for drinking bleach, when you left the bottle unattended, and open in the middle of the floor.

-There was just so much fundamentally wrong with the design of that play relative to the situation, it ain't funny. That play was setup to fail from the word go. Typical DA(DumbAss), I mean, BA. How you people continue to defend this clown, is absoultely crazy to me....Let me guess, you probably thought the sweep to MM in the K.C. game last year on 4th and short was a good call, they just didn't execute, right? Or maybe the call against Jacksonville couple years ago, when he had Ben run a naked, QB sweep, on 3rd and 4, even though Ben had been caring the Jags up the whole second half. He has so many of these kinda calls over the last three years, it reads like a criminal rapsheet.

-Sad thing is, overall, he called a halfway decent game yesterday, but he all but undid othat with one asinine, abomination of a playcall.

Rockon

Good points ... I thought Arians overall had a good game plan (very rare) but the goal line call was just unexplainable.

I was just talking over this play with someone that has played a lot of football and has coached before (not pro but still).

He and I agreed that you never, EVER run a trap play backed up near your on endzone like that.

The fact that it is a high risk play only makes it a bad play call. The fact that your asking your struggling LT to crack down block a pro bowl (possibly HOF) DE on a RISKY play is what makes the call truly dumb founding.

Not running a play like that is like one of those "golden" rules your taught in midget football such as not calling a fair catch inside your own 10 yard line.

rockonsteel
12-20-2010, 10:37 PM

Rockon

Good points ... I thought Arians overall had a good game plan (very rare) but the goal line call was just unexplainable.

I was just talking over this play with someone that has played a lot of football and has coached before (not pro but still).

He and I agreed that you never, EVER run a trap play backed up near your on endzone like that.

The fact that it is a high risk play only makes it a bad play call. The fact that your asking your struggling LT to crack down block a pro bowl (possibly HOF) DE on a RISKY play is what makes the call truly dumb founding.

Not running a play like that is like one of those "golden" rules your taught in midget football such as not calling a fair catch inside your own 10 yard line.

YAHHTZEEE!!!

Oh my bad......i meant....BINGO!!!

Rockon

Steelhere10
12-20-2010, 11:24 PM

Rockon
Don't 4get the dumb azz double reverse in Miami early this year at the end of the half, that resulted in a loss and made us go in the half without points around Miami 45yd line... this clown is far worst than dumb!

rockonsteel
12-21-2010, 12:21 AM
Don't 4get the dumb azz double reverse in Miami early this year at the end of the half, that resulted in a loss and made us go in the half without points around Miami 45yd line... this clown is far worst than dumb!

Absolutely, guess that is an insult to dumb people everywhere....thing is, this thread could go on for another hundred pages if we were to take the time to list all the completely headscratching sh!t this idiot has done the last three seasons, SB and all, before anybody brings it up. Not to mention the Cleveland fiasco last year. It's almost comical if it wasn't so nauseating. I mean it's unbelievable that people continue to defend this moron and make excuses for him. It pisses me off when I watch other OCs around the league get so much more out of less. The day Bruce goes, I'm gonna party like it's 1999!! But until then....... :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

Rockon

Djfan
12-21-2010, 12:28 AM
Absolutely, guess that is an insult to dumb people everywhere....thing is, this thread could go on for another hundred pages if we were to take the time to list all the completely headscratching sh!t this idiot has done the last three seasons, SB and all, before anybody brings it up. Not to mention the Cleveland fiasco last year. It's almost comical if it wasn't so nauseating. I mean it's unbelievable that people continue to defend this moron and make excuses for him. It pisses me off when I watch other OCs around the league get so much more out of less. The day Bruce goes, I'm gonna party like it's 1999!! But until then....... :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

Rockon

I'll DJ that party, anytime, anywhere!!

rockonsteel
12-21-2010, 12:58 AM

Rockon

I'll DJ that party, anytime, anywhere!!

Yessir!!

I might have to take you up on that one.....keep your schedule open.

Rockon

hawaiiansteel
12-21-2010, 03:10 PM
yes, Bruce Arians' formations are very predictable...it seems like the other team often knows what's coming.

Tomlin Transcript

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/88/888214.jpg

Mike Tomlin (Getty Images)
By SteelCityInsider.net

Posted Dec 20, 2010

Could you take us through the safety?

Jason Taylor was in a 3-technique. He was in a B gap. He’s a unique get-off player for a person that plays in a B gap. He’s got unique short-area quicks and initial get-off. He probably recognized the formation, potentially the play, had an awesome get-off on the play. We were unable to cut him off with our center and backside tackle. He slipped in behind the pulling guard and was very disruptive and tackled our runner from behind the end zone for a safety. You can talk about a lot of things that transpired on that play and how you combat that, cutting the split down to the tackle and so forth, but I think the first thing you should acknowledge is that Jason Taylor is a unique animal in the B gap and he’s got a unique skill set. He probably is a savvy veteran player that recognized some formation clues and he took a calculated risk and made an awesome play. I want to give him credit.

http://pit.scout.com/2/1032801.html

Crash
12-21-2010, 03:12 PM
Kemo blames himself. He said he tipped it off with his technique.

Oviedo
12-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Kemo blames himself. He said he tipped it off with his technique.

C'mon now, just like the recession and global warming we know it is Arians' fault.

Don't blame the players. They just get paid millions to be at the mercy of an old guy on the sideline. They have no responsibility for anything that happens on the field unless it goes right.

hawaiiansteel
12-21-2010, 05:05 PM
C'mon now, just like the recession and global warming we know it is Arians' fault.

not true...the recession is definitely due to Arians but global warming is Al Gore's fault. :lol:

PUBLISHED: DECEMBER 21. 2010

Duane Rankin: Mendenhall left out on key drive

With two minutes left, Rashard Mendenhall and I shouldn't have had the same view of the game Sunday.

Down 22-17 to the New York Jets, the Pittsburgh Steelers were on their final drive and had their 1,000-yard rusher watching from the sidelines.

Standing on the field, I look to my left and see No. 34 bouncing on the white chalk.

Why, you might ask? I did.

"I trust, and as a team we trust the guys in those situations in the two-minute offense," Mendenhall said. "Mewelde (Moore), that's his specialty. He does that (along with) Isaac Redman."

OK. Team guy. I get it.

"Being the lead dog on first and second down, I play a lot of plays," Mendenhall continued. "To have a chance to step out and have those guys, they've come through and are very productive. We're confident in whoever is out there."

I'm shaking my head now.

Mendenhall rushed for 100 yards Sunday, but only carried the ball 17 times. He obviously was in the game for more than just those 17 plays, but at age 23, he could have mustered up enough energy on that final drive instead of wasting it on the sideline.

With his size and speed, Mendenhall can turn a short swing pass into a long gain.

The Jets were playing prevent defense, tailor-made for a halfback to cut up like scissors.

There was a time when the starting halfback didn't leave the field, especially in crunch time. Now we have all these third-down backs who come in on the most critical play of an offensive series.

Something is very wrong with that picture.

Now, Moore and Redman have made key plays this season. Redman's game-winning touchdown catch in Pittsburgh's 13-10 victory at Baltimore put the Steelers in the position to win the AFC North and get a first-round bye in the playoffs.

So he and Moore are key guys, but Mendenhall should have been in down the stretch Sunday.

I know Jets veteran defensive end Jason Taylor is strong and savvy, but I got a hunch he wouldn't have slammed Mendenhall in the end zone for a safety like he did Moore with 2 minutes, 45 seconds left in the game.

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1138222/33264844E.jpg

Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin said his team didn't correctly block the first-and-10 play from its 3-yard line.

Taylor said he anticipated it a little bit, but also that, "I was lucky that time."

The safety put the Jets ahead by five so the Steelers had to go for a touchdown to win on that final drive rather than a field goal to tie and force overtime on their home field.

"I felt like that was a play we could have gotten in the end zone with and it didn't happen," Mendenhall said.

The best chance of that play going for six was to give Mendenhall, not Moore, the ball on a draw handoff out of the shotgun.

So as much as I'm piling on Mendenhall, Tomlin and his coaching staff deserve the blame because they should either, one, have him in the game or, two, develop his game to the point where they trust him to be on the field for the two-minute offense.

When the game is in the balance, keep the featured backs in and let the subs and reporters watch the game from the sidelines.

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art ... 950/-1/RSS (http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101221/SPORTS0512/312219950/-1/RSS)

Crash
12-21-2010, 05:35 PM
Mr. Rankin knows his stuff. :)

hawaiiansteel
12-22-2010, 12:40 AM
Coaching

This seems to be the problem with every bad loss the Steelers have. I've already touched on how the defense seems to literally lower the boom when they don't have certain personnel, but who the hell calls a shotgun draw from inside your own five yard line? Apparently Bruce Arians does.

We can spend all week long trying to figure out whose fault it was that Jason Taylor found his way to Mewelde Moore in the end zone, but what bothers me about this is that when an assistant coach calls a play over the radio, it also goes through the headset of the head coach. Why doesn't Tomlin hear that call, realize it's completely stupid with the current state of the offensive line and overrule it?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5495 ... -york-jets (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/549501-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-from-pittsburgh-steelers-and-new-york-jets)

SteelCrazy
12-22-2010, 12:53 AM
Coaching

This seems to be the problem with every bad loss the Steelers have. I've already touched on how the defense seems to literally lower the boom when they don't have certain personnel, but who the hell calls a shotgun draw from inside your own five yard line? Apparently Bruce Arians does.

We can spend all week long trying to figure out whose fault it was that Jason Taylor found his way to Mewelde Moore in the end zone, but what bothers me about this is that when an assistant coach calls a play over the radio, it also goes through the headset of the head coach. Why doesn't Tomlin hear that call, realize it's completely stupid with the current state of the offensive line and overrule it?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5495 ... -york-jets (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/549501-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-from-pittsburgh-steelers-and-new-york-jets)

When they were about to snap the ball, I begged them not to hand it to MM...I knew what was about to happen. Tomlin doesn't over rule it because it is Arians job. If Tomlin over ruled any of the play calls it would not be necessary to have Arians. Ben needed to have the ball in his hands and if that was the case that safety would not have happened regardless of Jason Taylor.

pepsyman1
12-22-2010, 01:05 AM

BINGO! That's it in a nutshell.....even with our offensive line problems with the other talent we have on this team it's absurd that we have as much trouble on offense as we do. Last year with all the hubbub about how much offense we put up, we were only 12th in scoring, this year we're 17th. Hell, even conservative Cowher did better than 12th in scoring 7 times during his tenure. There are teams with far less talent than we have that put up points...

hawaiiansteel
12-22-2010, 04:40 PM
hey Brucie, maybe you could take some notes and learn a little from this...

Brian Schottenheimer had an impressive game-plan in Jets victory over Steelers, silencing critics

BY MANISH MEHTA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Wednesday, December 22nd 2010, 4:00 AM

Brian Schottenheimer has absorbed the never-ending body blows from armchair play callers trained to second-guess his every move. The Jets offensive coordinator responded to the recent avalanche of criticism with an impressive game plan in the Jets' 22-17 victory over the Steelers.

Although it's now convenient to throw superlatives at Schottenheimer, the truth is that he's called better plays this season (see: Week 4 win at Buffalo).

The difference Sunday was the blend of design and execution that helped the Jets (10-4) snap out of their two-game offensive funk. Schottenheimer's play-calling put the Jets on the doorstep of their second consecutive playoff appearance. If they beat the Bears on Sunday or the Jaguars or Colts lose, they're in.

Schottenheimer certainly wasn't perfect, but it didn't take long for the players to know that he had a good grasp on what the Steelers' typically stingy defense was attempting to do.

"Schotty was in such a zone," tight end Dustin Keller said. "He knew what defense we were going to get before we even got it. He knew them inside and out."

The beauty of Schottenheimer's plan was in its unpredictability. Although the Jets didn't deviate from their 50-50 run-pass splits (29 passes and 27runs), Schottenheimer kept the Steelers off-balance in critical moments by breaking from a few tendencies.

A week after the Jets ran the ball 62% of the time against the Dolphins on first down, Schottenheimer dialed up a nearly equal run-pass distribution (12 runs, 11 passes) on first downs against Pittsburgh. The execution on first downs, of course, was also much better. The Jets gained a full yard more per play on first down (3.5) than they did a week earlier against Miami. The Jets converted 35% of their second downs.

After digging a hole on third down against the Dolphins (9.2 yards to go), the Jets faced an average of 6.8 yards to go on third down on Sunday en route to a 46% conversion rate.

Three timely third and fourth-down calls proved critical.

1) With the Jets trailing 17-10 midway through the third quarter, the Jets faced what appeared to be a running situation: third-and-1 from their own 46-yard line. But Schottenheimer called for a play fake to Shonn Greene. Mark Sanchez rolled to his left and found Keller for a key 11-yard gain.

2) Later in that drive, Schottenheimer broke from conventional wisdom on fourth down and less than a yard from the Steelers' 7. The Jets embarrassed Pittsburgh on a beautifully designed and executed play fake and bootleg by Sanchez. Outside linebacker James Harrison and inside linebacker Larry Foote were completely fooled. While both of them charged at Greene, who ran up the middle with nothing but air in his hands, Sanchez strolled into the left side of the end zone on the keeper.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... z18s5bgeUo

rockonsteel
12-22-2010, 05:28 PM
hey Brucie, maybe you could take some notes and learn a little from this...

Brian Schottenheimer had an impressive game-plan in Jets victory over Steelers, silencing critics

BY MANISH MEHTA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Wednesday, December 22nd 2010, 4:00 AM

Brian Schottenheimer has absorbed the never-ending body blows from armchair play callers trained to second-guess his every move. The Jets offensive coordinator responded to the recent avalanche of criticism with an impressive game plan in the Jets' 22-17 victory over the Steelers.

Although it's now convenient to throw superlatives at Schottenheimer, the truth is that he's called better plays this season (see: Week 4 win at Buffalo).

The difference Sunday was the blend of design and execution that helped the Jets (10-4) snap out of their two-game offensive funk. Schottenheimer's play-calling put the Jets on the doorstep of their second consecutive playoff appearance. If they beat the Bears on Sunday or the Jaguars or Colts lose, they're in.

Schottenheimer certainly wasn't perfect, but it didn't take long for the players to know that he had a good grasp on what the Steelers' typically stingy defense was attempting to do.

"Schotty was in such a zone," tight end Dustin Keller said. "He knew what defense we were going to get before we even got it. He knew them inside and out."

The beauty of Schottenheimer's plan was in its unpredictability. Although the Jets didn't deviate from their 50-50 run-pass splits (29 passes and 27runs), Schottenheimer kept the Steelers off-balance in critical moments by breaking from a few tendencies.

A week after the Jets ran the ball 62% of the time against the Dolphins on first down, Schottenheimer dialed up a nearly equal run-pass distribution (12 runs, 11 passes) on first downs against Pittsburgh. The execution on first downs, of course, was also much better. The Jets gained a full yard more per play on first down (3.5) than they did a week earlier against Miami. The Jets converted 35% of their second downs.

After digging a hole on third down against the Dolphins (9.2 yards to go), the Jets faced an average of 6.8 yards to go on third down on Sunday en route to a 46% conversion rate.

Three timely third and fourth-down calls proved critical.

1) With the Jets trailing 17-10 midway through the third quarter, the Jets faced what appeared to be a running situation: third-and-1 from their own 46-yard line. But Schottenheimer called for a play fake to Shonn Greene. Mark Sanchez rolled to his left and found Keller for a key 11-yard gain.

2) Later in that drive, Schottenheimer broke from conventional wisdom on fourth down and less than a yard from the Steelers' 7. The Jets embarrassed Pittsburgh on a beautifully designed and executed play fake and bootleg by Sanchez. Outside linebacker James Harrison and inside linebacker Larry Foote were completely fooled. While both of them charged at Greene, who ran up the middle with nothing but air in his hands, Sanchez strolled into the left side of the end zone on the keeper.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... z18s5bgeUo

"What the hell do you know?!?!?! I'm Bruce Arians, unpredictability and adjustments are overrated!! Whatever crap I call, they better execute!!" :shock:

Rockon

hawaiiansteel
12-24-2010, 12:54 AM
what has always driven me crazy about Bruce Arians is his play calling once we get inside the red zone.

we went 2 for 6 inside the red zone tonight against the team with the worst record in the NFL.

we were ranked 25th in the league (tied with the Browns) coming into this game in red zone efficiency, tonight's performance will not help any...

NFL Team Red Zone Scoring Percentage

Date: 12/23/10

Rank Team 2010 Last 3 Last 1 Home Away 2009

1 Indianapolis (8-6) 67.35% 63.64% 33.33% 59.09% 74.07% 64.62%
2 Detroit (4-10) 66.67% 50.00% 40.00% 80.95% 50.00% 47.22%
3 New England (12-2) 64.29% 75.00% 100.00% 76.92% 53.33% 53.73%
4 Jacksonville (8-6) 63.41% 66.67% 66.67% 61.11% 65.22% 51.06%
5 Houston (5-9) 63.04% 77.78% 66.67% 58.33% 68.18% 52.46%
6 Kansas City (9-5) 62.22% 80.00% 100.00% 63.16% 61.54% 47.37%
7 Atlanta (12-2) 60.78% 75.00% 50.00% 66.67% 55.56% 51.79%
8 Tennessee (6-8) 58.54% 72.73% 80.00% 60.87% 55.56% 56.41%
9 San Diego (8-6) 58.49% 77.78% 66.67% 72.41% 41.67% 54.55%
10 Dallas (5-9) 57.78% 50.00% 42.86% 58.06% 57.14% 50.88%
10 Green Bay (8-6) 57.78% 36.36% 40.00% 62.50% 52.38% 56.92%
12 NY Giants (9-5) 57.69% 63.64% 66.67% 48.39% 71.43% 48.21%
13 Buffalo (4-10) 55.88% 44.44% 66.67% 43.75% 66.67% 31.58%
14 Philadelphia (10-4) 52.83% 64.29% 75.00% 44.00% 60.71% 49.06%
15 Washington (5-9) 52.78% 66.67% 100.00% 52.38% 53.33% 56.52%
16 Denver (3-11) 52.27% 20.00% 0.00% 63.64% 40.91% 48.08%
17 Miami (7-7) 50.00% 80.00% 100.00% 56.25% 42.86% 64.81%
17 New Orleans (10-4) 50.00% 70.00% 75.00% 44.44% 55.17% 61.25%
17 Oakland (7-7) 50.00% 77.78% 66.67% 47.62% 52.17% 41.38%
20 Baltimore (10-4) 48.94% 60.00% 40.00% 44.44% 55.00% 51.56%
21 Tampa Bay (8-6) 48.65% 33.33% 0.00% 50.00% 47.37% 54.55%
22 Chicago (10-4) 47.83% 54.55% 33.33% 40.00% 57.14% 47.06%
23 San Francisco (5-9) 47.37% 25.00% 50.00% 52.63% 42.11% 57.89%
24 Cincinnati (3-11) 46.81% 41.67% 25.00% 42.31% 52.38% 49.06%
25 Pittsburgh (10-4) 46.15% 37.50% 66.67% 54.55% 35.29% 48.21%
25 Cleveland (5-9) 46.15% 16.67% 0.00% 55.00% 36.84% 43.59%
27 Arizona (4-10) 44.12% 37.50% 33.33% 47.62% 38.46% 69.84%
28 Minnesota (5-9) 42.86% 50.00% 33.33% 40.00% 47.06% 62.03%
29 Seattle (6-8) 40.91% 66.67% 100.00% 45.45% 36.36% 39.58%
30 St Louis (6-8) 36.73% 22.22% 50.00% 36.00% 37.50% 32.35%
31 NY Jets (10-4) 36.59% 16.67% 33.33% 31.58% 40.91% 50.94%
32 Carolina (2-12) 30.00% 40.00% 25.00% 22.22% 41.67% 50.00%

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/re ... coring-pct

hawaiiansteel
12-24-2010, 01:46 PM
Steelers handle Carolina easily, but offense continues to sputter

FRIDAY, DECEMBER 24, 2010 12:05 AM WRITTEN BY BOB SMIZIK

This is pretty much what you expect when one of the best teams in the NFL goes up against the worst team in the NFL.

The Steelers (11-4) had their way with the Carolina Panthers (2-13) last night at Heinz Field, 27-3.

But it was hardly a thing of beauty. A down note was that once again the offense could have been more efficient and not left as many points on the field. The Steelers ineffectiveness inside the 20-yard line is a concern. They were in the red zone four times in the first half and produced only one touchdown.

But the victory was thorough and decisive. No need to embarrass Carolina coach John Fox, an ex-Pitt and Steelers assistant, who will not be back next season.

In defense of the Steelers, it's not easy maintaining full focus against so lightweight an opponent. But there's no excuse for the first half failures.

After halftime, this game had all the drama of a pre-season matchup. It wasn’t a matter of who would win but how badly the Steelers would.

As the third quarter turned into the fourth, all that was left to ponder was whether coach Mike Tomlin would sit the battered and bruised Ben Roethlisberger. He didn’t. Roethlisberger took every snap including the final knee.

Big Ben was near flawless in the first half as the Steelers took a 20-0 lead. He completed 16 of 23 for 259 yards and one touchdown. He only threw nine times in the second half and finished with 320 yards and a 111.5 passer rating.

Facing the Steelers defense, Jimmy Clausen wasn’t so good. The rookie never had a chance. He completed 10 of 23 for 72 yards and a 33.2 passer rating.

If the Steelers win at Cleveland Jan. 2 or Baltimore loses one of its final two games, they will be the second seed in the AFC and earn a first-round bye in the playoffs

The Steelers played without safety Troy Polamalu last night and the defense barely missed him. If he’s held out of the Cleveland game, he’ll have had more than a month to rest up for the playoffs. A healthy Polamalu is vital to the Steelers success and it looks like he’ll have every opportunity to be rested and ready to go.

It's possible, if Baltimore loses, the game at Cleveland will lack meaning. That might be not so good. The Steelers need a game with an edge to get their offense straightened out -- if that can be done.

http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazet ... to-sputter (http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/26719-steelers-handle-carilina-easily-but-offense-continues-to-sputter)