PDA

View Full Version : In the Last 31 Offensive Drives...

BradshawsHairdresser
12-13-2010, 01:31 PM
2 TD's.

I understand the OL is banged up, but dang, that's worse than pathetic. Why is Bruce Arians still the OC?

SteelTorch
12-13-2010, 01:36 PM
2 TD's.

I understand the OL is banged up, but dang, that's worse than pathetic. Why is Bruce Arians still the OC?
And certain select individuals *cough cough* are STILL trying to blame our struggles on our pass defense...

Notleadpoisoned
12-13-2010, 01:42 PM
The Jets aren't much better offensively so I'm guessing that anything more than a 6-3 game would be a shocker.

flippy
12-13-2010, 01:45 PM
BA is dead to me. He's trying to turn us into the Pats, but he can't.

I'd try to demote him and keep him on as a QB coach. I think he does some things good. But he shouldn't be in charge of the offense overall.

Ghost
12-13-2010, 01:47 PM
I mentioned this stat in another thread. If I hadn't been watching the last three games I would believe this to be impossible. It's mind blowing to consider the level of ineptitude going on with the O right now.

I just assume if they don't break a long run or Ben hits Wallace on a bomb, the O won't score a TD.

Crash
12-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Penalties by the OL have killed them. Drops in key spots also.

Arians has faults. But it's not that simple.

feltdizz
12-13-2010, 01:52 PM
Penalties by the OL have killed them. Drops in key spots also.

Arians has faults. But it's not that simple.

shhh... some people want to weave thread arguments together and you aren't helping the cause.

Remember, BA is the problem and no other areas of our O and D have holes. All is well and without BA we would be 16-0 right now.

feltdizz
12-13-2010, 01:55 PM
2 TD's.

while the O stinks... I'll take it and 10-3 over a powerful O and 7-6.

birtikidis
12-13-2010, 02:28 PM
I've noticed a trend.. ever time our offense does something good, we get a penalty. at one point I was chatting on facebook and was listening to the game and I'd hear a play where we got 6 or more yards and I'd automatically say -- penalty.. and most of hte time I was right... Refs really need to be more consistent. If they're gonna call Ike Taylor for that PI then they should have called at least HALF of the late hits on Ben.

feltdizz
12-13-2010, 02:33 PM
I've noticed a trend.. ever time our offense does something good, we get a penalty. at one point I was chatting on facebook and was listening to the game and I'd hear a play where we got 6 or more yards and I'd automatically say -- penalty.. and most of hte time I was right... Refs really need to be more consistent. If they're gonna call Ike Taylor for that PI then they should have called at least HALF of the late hits on Ben.

:Agree

we have to get 20+ more yards each drive due to the holding calls...

Mister Pittsburgh
12-13-2010, 02:50 PM

I'd try to demote him and keep him on as a QB coach. I think he does some things good. But he shouldn't be in charge of the offense overall.

No he isn't. Don't even try that. Pats don't worry about trying to establish the run. We do. We can't. Half Brady's passes are quick hitters. Pretty much none of Bens are.

papillon
12-13-2010, 03:14 PM
The offense had 1st and something 25 times yesterday; passed the ball 11 times plus one spike to kill the clock and ran the ball 13 times including the option with El.

That's pretty good balance on first down. The El play was designed beautifully using Wallace as the RB to try and get him outside in space. Spaeth was wide open for a TD from the 5 and Ben gets the ball batted down. The deep ball to Wallace caught them off guard a bit and was successful.

Penalties were a huge problem along with inconsistent line play. Hard to find with BA, unless, of course everything is his fault.

The offense needs a lot of work, but most of the work they need is execution.

Pappy

steelblood
12-13-2010, 03:16 PM
we moved the ball well yesterday in the second half. we just stalled out in the redzone. our o-line is just not getting it done down there. we've also had some drops and poor play calling. we have three weeks to fix it.

flippy
12-13-2010, 04:37 PM

No he isn't. Don't even try that. Pats don't worry about trying to establish the run. We do. We can't. Half Brady's passes are quick hitters. Pretty much none of Bens are.

Watch the formations. The Steelers like the Pats and to some degree the Saints use so many formations compared to other teams. But that's where the comparison ends. The Pats much like the Saints live on a quick passing game versus our downfield passing game.

And that's where Bruce runs into problems imho. His calls out of various formations are somewhat predicatable based on personel.

So like NE and NO, he's built a stockpile of offensive weapons. And creates a lot of mismatches/advantages with his formations. But doesn't execute plays that maximize that advantage like the other teams do.

In fairness, Bruce has an inferior line and isn't willing to adjust his playbook to help them. And he tries to run too much to help Ben out so plays can develop downfield but the line isn't great at run blocking either.

In fairness, he's a bit hamstrung. And you can see some of the good things he's doing. Watch how the OLine starts pass protecting at some point in the middle of the game, usually after the half. I like some of what he's doing.

But he has his drawbacks too. And I'm tired of them. I'm also tired of the quality of the line. And I think we're at a point where we should be evolving this offense. Especially with the quick talent we now have at WR in Wallace/Sanders/Brown. And we still haven't figured out how to work Mendy consistently into the passing game. And that should be priority #1.

And there's no 3 step drop in the playbook. We have arguably the worst line in the NFL. And we don't have any quick developing plays.

steelnavy
12-13-2010, 05:28 PM
The offense had 1st and something 25 times yesterday; passed the ball 11 times plus one spike to kill the clock and ran the ball 13 times including the option with El.

That's pretty good balance on first down. The El play was designed beautifully using Wallace as the RB to try and get him outside in space. Spaeth was wide open for a TD from the 5 and Ben gets the ball batted down. The deep ball to Wallace caught them off guard a bit and was successful.

Penalties were a huge problem along with inconsistent line play. Hard to find with BA, unless, of course everything is his fault.

The offense needs a lot of work, but most of the work they need is execution.
Pappy

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

So the Steelers just happen to have a bunch of underachieving imbeciles playing on the offense? Is that why they have all those failures to execute? So other teams were lucky enough to get better quality players who pay more attention during games? Its called COACHING, and when you do a good job coaching, your players EXECUTE better on a more consistent basis. The better the leader, the better the team play. The better that the leader designs plays to maximize individual player's strengths and take advantage of opponent weaknesses, the better that the offense will perform. Running up the middle WHEN THE OTHER TEAM (and my wife) knows that it is going to happen and stacks the line to stuff the run, is the fault of the offensive coordinator, not a failure to execute the play by the offense.

How do the defensive players EXECUTE so well on a consistent basis year in and out? Could it be because of Lebeau, who happens to be their leader? Or did the Steelers just get more lucky when drafting defensive players who happen to EXECUTE better?

Commmon denominator is coaching...

PSU_dropout43
12-13-2010, 05:32 PM
we moved the ball well yesterday in the second half. we just stalled out in the redzone. our o-line is just not getting it done down there. we've also had some drops and poor play calling. we have three weeks to fix it.
It starts with replacing Jonathan Scott with Essex at LT. J Scott is terrible.

pittpete
12-13-2010, 05:59 PM
Essex Im afraid is just as slow and lethargic.
Perhaps they could rotate the grossly overweight pigs to keep thier stamina from being depleted