PDA

View Full Version : Cowher "open to returning" to coaching

Djfan
12-12-2010, 08:33 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81cca328/article/exsteelers-coach-cowher-says-hes-open-to-return-to-sideline

Ex-Steelers coach Cowher says he's 'open' to return to sideline

* NFL.com Wire Reports
* Published: Dec. 10, 2010 at 10:33 a.m.
* Updated: Dec. 10, 2010 at 07:17 p.m.
* Liked: 42 | Comments: 731

* Email
* Print

* Read
* Discuss

Friend(s) Email Your Email Send Email

* By NFL.com Wire Reports

More Columns >

Bill Cowher, seemingly unable to escape questions about a potential return to coaching, acknowledged Thursday that a comeback is possible.

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai

"I'm open to listen to opportunities," Cowher told USA Today. "I'm very comfortable at CBS. I'll keep all my options open. And I'll only answer those questions at the end of the season. I'm not going to comment on any hypothetical situations until the entire season is over."

Cowher amassed a 149-90-1 regular-season record in 15 years with the Pittsburgh Steelers from 1992 to 2006. He led the team to six conference championship games and two Super Bowls, including a 21-10 victory over the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XL. Cowher currently is an analyst for CBS Sports.

"I am not going to go back into coaching just to go back into coaching," Cowher said in September. "It has to be the right situation. And I don't know what the right situation consists of."

Cowher's wife, Kaye, died of skin cancer in July at the age of 54. She died in her native North Carolina, where the family relocated at her urging during her husband's final year as Steelers coach in 2006.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Chadman
12-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Good!

Hope Cowher does get back into coaching- it's what he's best at.

Secrtly, Chadman would like to see him coaching KC, but because of their success this year, that might have to wait. Denver perhaps?

steelz09
12-12-2010, 09:37 PM
I'll predict the most obvious choice. The Carolina Panthers.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Great. He can be our D-coordinator after LeBeau retires.

SidSmythe
12-13-2010, 07:40 AM
Carolina would be the logical choice.

Many say he'll be going after the $$$ but for some reason I just don't see that being his priority. My Cowboy friend thinks Jerry will offer him big CASH and he'll be there, i just don't see Bill working for Jerry or in a NY market.

I think he will look for ONE thing from his experience in Pittsburgh:
- Will I have a franchise QB???

Sugar
12-13-2010, 11:48 AM

I would think that would be the primary choice. They have Jimmy C as a QB he can build around.

Denver would also be a possibility I would think.

Oviedo
12-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Carolina would be the logical choice.

Many say he'll be going after the $$$ but for some reason I just don't see that being his priority. My Cowboy friend thinks Jerry will offer him big CASH and he'll be there, i just don't see Bill working for Jerry or in a NY market.

I think he will look for ONE thing from his experience in Pittsburgh:
- Will I have a franchise QB???

Cowher is all about control. That is why he forced out Tom Donahoe. No way could he exist with Jerry Jones and it would be Bill Parcels all over again. Go in for a short period to make lots of money but know it won't work.

If Cowher is just looking for a 3-5 year money grab then the Cowboys could work for him. If he wants more then it won't.

Crash
12-13-2010, 01:24 PM
He wants to go to a team with a QB already in place.

Two cities: San Diego, New York.

flippy
12-13-2010, 01:41 PM
He wants to go to a team with a QB already in place.

Two cities: San Diego, New York.

I'll buy SD, but no way on the noodle arm in the big apple. NY would be for the media spotlight.

I could also see him in Cleveland and think McCoy will be good.

And St Louis would be his best spot imho. The worst division in football with a young QB with potential. And its in the NFC so he might have a chance to go to a SB.

Ghost
12-13-2010, 01:50 PM
Carolina might make sense geographically if he cares about staying in NC (although with his wife gone and the kids out of the house does this really matter anymore?) but he'd have to want to take on a complete rebuidling process. They are horrendous. Hard to watch bad.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-13-2010, 02:57 PM
I'd like to see him coach - in the NFC, but not the Cowboys!

I predict the Giants. Unless they're D is too banged up, they are SB contenders. Manning is not the best athlete, but when his head is on, he's successful, and he's a known quantity - the chance of a big fail is small compared to a young QB.

Djfan
12-13-2010, 07:25 PM
I was thinking San Diego also. Just makes too much sense.

hawaiiansteel
12-13-2010, 07:31 PM
I'd like to see him coach - in the NFC, but not the Cowboys!

Cowher not a candidate for the Cowboys

Posted by Mike Florio on December 12, 2010

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/billcowherpeytonmanning-e1292194810154.jpg?w=250

Former Steelers coach Bill Cowher recently has made known his willingness to listen to “opportunities” for 2011.

There will be no such “opportunity” for him in Dallas.

A source with knowledge of the situation tells us that Cowher is not, and will not be, a candidate to coach the Cowboys.

There has been little if any buzz connecting Cowher to Dallas, despite the wishes of some of the team’s fans. The lack of interest in Cowher confirms that, despite the team’s recent struggles, owner Jerry Jones is not yet ready to cede some or all of his power to a head coach, like he did in 2003 when bringing in Bill Parcells.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/ca ... ll/page/4/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/page/4/)

DukieBoy
12-13-2010, 07:37 PM
Maybe he'll coach the LA Vikings.

SidSmythe
12-14-2010, 08:47 AM
OK, since I don't take the NFL overly serious anymore like a drunk 21 yr old on testosterone shots.

I'd love to see Cowher in Cleveland. would be fun i think!!

Sugar
12-14-2010, 12:10 PM
I'll be curious to see what jobs actually come open at the end of the year. Will Marvin stay in Cincy? How about Frazier in MN? There are a lot of potential openings, so the chin might be able to pick a great situation.

flippy
12-15-2010, 07:33 AM
How about Green Bay?

That'd be the perfect job if it comes available.

Oviedo
12-15-2010, 09:07 AM
How about Green Bay?

That'd be the perfect job if it comes available.

McCarthy is safe in Green Bay. He won't get blamed for the huge number of injuries they had.

I think the perfect job for Cowher would be the Giants. The organization is very much like the Steelers. It keeps him on the east coast near his daughters and they have a QB in place plus two good running backs...they are Cowher turtle ball ready. Eli would be the equivalent of Neal ODonnell under a Cowher regime.

I did read recently that there are some rumors about Houston being very interested in him. They have a very good QB, a very good RB and an all universe WR plus a defense that he can do something with. The owner also has a ton of money.

proudpittsburgher
12-15-2010, 10:20 AM
Houston actually makes a lot of sense for him. Plus he can stick it to Jer-ray if he has success and the Cowboys continue to underachieve. I thought, however, that Cleveland was where he was going to end up last season and I think it is a good fit for him in the future. Since I liked him, I will feel bad watching the Steelers beat him over and over again. :)

Oviedo
12-15-2010, 10:35 AM
Houston actually makes a lot of sense for him. Plus he can stick it to Jer-ray if he has success and the Cowboys continue to underachieve. I thought, however, that Cleveland was where he was going to end up last season and I think it is a good fit for him in the future. Since I liked him, I will feel bad watching the Steelers beat him over and over again. :)

If Cowher goes to Cleveland he can burn in hell as far as I'm concerned. Huge slap in the face to the Steelers and their fans to go to a AFC North rival. He can get his money anywhere so that would be a totally classless move to go to a AFC North team.

proudpittsburgher
12-15-2010, 11:51 PM

If Cowher goes to Cleveland he can burn in hell as far as I'm concerned. Huge slap in the face to the Steelers and their fans to go to a AFC North rival. He can get his money anywhere so that would be a totally classless move to go to a AFC North team.

I think a lot of fans would feel that way, but I just don't think that the majority of the players and coaches buy into this rivalry and hatred stuff. And FWIW, Cleveland hasn't been a true rival since he early 90s. We may be to them, but the Steelers have moved on. But insert Bill Cowher and it will instantly become a rivalry again. Plus, he will make them better the moment he takes the job. Maybe not championship caliber, but better nonetheless. Discipline and defense should add two or three wins a year for them easy.

Sugar
12-16-2010, 12:26 AM

I think a lot of fans would feel that way, but I just don't think that the majority of the players and coaches buy into this rivalry and hatred stuff. And FWIW, Cleveland hasn't been a true rival since he early 90s. We may be to them, but the Steelers have moved on. But insert Bill Cowher and it will instantly become a rivalry again. Plus, he will make them better the moment he takes the job. Maybe not championship caliber, but better nonetheless. Discipline and defense should add two or three wins a year for them easy.

Why in the world would the Browns get rid of Mangini? He's done a pretty decent job considering what he's had to work with. Besides, do you think the Chin will want to have to work with the Walrus? :nono

Shoe
12-18-2010, 01:38 PM

As an LA local, I'd love to see that. If/when we get a team in LA, I would like to see that team have legitimacy. In fact, even though I've been a Steeler fan all my life and really, it's the only team you would consider me a "fan" of. (I am a Laker fan, but really--who gives a rats a$s in NBA regular season. Also, when the Lakers are bad, it doesn't really bother me. When the Steelers suck, I get upset.)

But, me and my friends have been talking about it (they all have other cities teams they follow too... since we haven't had NFL football here for approaching 20 years now)... if a team like the Jags or SD comes here, we might try and switch allegiances. I don't know about all that, but having Cowher coaching would make it easier for me to at least follow the local team.

birtikidis
12-18-2010, 05:35 PM
Who thinks that he coaches at Maryland next year?
ACC coach of the year Friedgen was told today that he will not be returning next year.

LordVile
12-18-2010, 06:53 PM

As an LA local, I'd love to see that. If/when we get a team in LA, I would like to see that team have legitimacy. In fact, even though I've been a Steeler fan all my life and really, it's the only team you would consider me a "fan" of. (I am a Laker fan, but really--who gives a rats a$s in NBA regular season. Also, when the Lakers are bad, it doesn't really bother me. When the Steelers suck, I get upset.)

But, me and my friends have been talking about it (they all have other cities teams they follow too... since we haven't had NFL football here for approaching 20 years now)... if a team like the Jags or SD comes here, we might try and switch allegiances. I don't know about all that, but having Cowher coaching would make it easier for me to at least follow the local team.

I'm in the Los Angeles area also, and I agree that it would make it easier to give the team a chance of following them alittle, if one is brought here. Although STEELERS will always be my team, it;s tattooed on me for christ sake, STEELERS ALWAYS..
I can't wait for the day when STEELERS come to Los Angeles to play whatever team is here. That'd be awesome and so close to home.. :Steel :tt1 :tt2

tiproast
12-19-2010, 01:19 PM
I would like to see Cowher in Houston, perhaps giving us two of these each year:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_x2grrhp95MRSM:http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq164/Razor84_2008/Silly%20Stuff/peyton1.jpg&t=1

hawaiiansteel
12-19-2010, 02:46 PM
Updated: December 19, 2010, 1:41 PM ET

Source: Bill Cowher has wish list of jobs

By Chris Mortensen
ESPN

Former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher is prepared to return to the sideline after a four-year hiatus but he won't take just any job.

A source close to Cowher is adamant that the Miami Dolphins, Houston Texans and New York Giants are atop his wish list if any of those teams should make a coaching change after the 2010 season.

Cowher has maintained that while he will listen to overtures on coaching jobs he would not discuss any specific team, including those that have already fired their coaches, such as Dallas, Denver and Minnesota.

The Dolphins may be the most intriguing option because owner Steve Ross has wanted to energize his fan base as the team has played second fiddle to the Miami Heat ever since LeBron James and Chris Bosh signed with the NBA team. The Dolphins went into Sunday's game against the Buffalo Bills still alive in the playoff hunt at 7-6 but with a 1-5 record at Sun Life Stadium.

The Texans have been considered a talented but underachieving team. However, owner Bob McNair indicated recently that Gary Kubiak's job may be safe but that other changes could be in the offing. If Kubiak remains, those changes are expected to come on the defensive staff.

While the Giants have been mentioned as a possible landing spot for Cowher ever since ex-Steeler running back Jerome Bettis linked his former coach to the New York job last year, there have been no indications that Tom Coughlin's job is in jeopardy. Coughlin has one year remaining on his contract and has not been signed to an extension yet.

Asked to rank Cowher's preferred list in order, the source identified New York, Miami and Houston. Each of those markets represent strong ownership with a good talent base, the source said.

Chris Mortensen is ESPN's senior NFL analyst.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5936041

pfelix73
12-19-2010, 03:50 PM
How about Pittsburgh?

:stirpot

:tt1

Oviedo
12-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Updated: December 19, 2010, 1:41 PM ET

Source: Bill Cowher has wish list of jobs

By Chris Mortensen
ESPN

Former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher is prepared to return to the sideline after a four-year hiatus but he won't take just any job.

A source close to Cowher is adamant that the Miami Dolphins, Houston Texans and New York Giants are atop his wish list if any of those teams should make a coaching change after the 2010 season.

Cowher has maintained that while he will listen to overtures on coaching jobs he would not discuss any specific team, including those that have already fired their coaches, such as Dallas, Denver and Minnesota.

The Dolphins may be the most intriguing option because owner Steve Ross has wanted to energize his fan base as the team has played second fiddle to the Miami Heat ever since LeBron James and Chris Bosh signed with the NBA team. The Dolphins went into Sunday's game against the Buffalo Bills still alive in the playoff hunt at 7-6 but with a 1-5 record at Sun Life Stadium.

The Texans have been considered a talented but underachieving team. However, owner Bob McNair indicated recently that Gary Kubiak's job may be safe but that other changes could be in the offing. If Kubiak remains, those changes are expected to come on the defensive staff.

While the Giants have been mentioned as a possible landing spot for Cowher ever since ex-Steeler running back Jerome Bettis linked his former coach to the New York job last year, there have been no indications that Tom Coughlin's job is in jeopardy. Coughlin has one year remaining on his contract and has not been signed to an extension yet.

Asked to rank Cowher's preferred list in order, the source identified New York, Miami and Houston. Each of those markets represent strong ownership with a good talent base, the source said.

Chris Mortensen is ESPN's senior NFL analyst.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5936041

I'm sure the Pats would love to see Cowher in Miami. They know he can't beat them!!!!!

Oviedo
12-20-2010, 09:20 AM
How about Pittsburgh?

:stirpot

No thanks, we already have a better coach who worries more about the team than the number of sideline close ups he gets during a game.

steelblood
12-20-2010, 09:51 AM
Great. He can be our D-coordinator after LeBeau retires.

IF we are dreaming, lets make him our special teams coach. That was where he cut his teeth in the NFL.

pfelix73
12-20-2010, 11:22 AM
I'll take Cowher any day over Tomlin- just my opinion.

Shawn
12-20-2010, 03:22 PM

I agree the Panthers have to be the most logical choice.

Crash
12-20-2010, 03:31 PM
He's not going to Carolina. He wants money, and a spot that has a QB in place.

hawaiiansteel
12-20-2010, 03:37 PM

the talking heads on NFL Primetime were discussing this and all agreed that Cowher's asking price would be too high for the Panthers. I guess the owner has been burned previously paying big money to a coach and will be very reluctant to do so again.

Where do Panthers turn after Fox departs?

December, 19, 2010
DEC 19

By Pat Yasinskas

As John Fox is about to coach his last game in Bank of America Stadium as coach of the Carolina Panthers, a lot of fans are wondering who will replace Fox.

We’ve touched on it from time to time and thrown out names like Russ Grimm, the Arizona assistant coach, who, ironically will be on the opposing sideline today. Grimm’s a logical target. He might end up with the job, but he’s not going to be the only guy who gets a look.

Joseph Person takes a good look at Carolina’s history when hiring coaches and lays out some philosophies that might factor into this decision. I’ll add a little more now. The Panthers have a decent history of hiring rising defensive coordinators, and that remains a possibility.

But don’t rule out the possibility of the Panthers going on the offensive after nine years of Fox’s conservative offense. Although Grimm is an offensive coach, his background suggests he would favor more of a grind-it-out approach. That might not be exactly what the Panthers are looking for and someone like New York Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer could offer a little more spice. Or the Panthers could look to someone with a proven track record in developing young quarterbacks, such as Atlanta coordinator Mike Mularkey, to build around possible No. 1 draft pick Andrew Luck or this year's rookie Jimmy Clausen.

Forget the big names: Bill Cowher or Jon Gruden. Carolina owner Jerry Richardson wouldn’t pay big money to keep Fox and he made a disastrous move back in 1999 when he hired George Seifert. At the time, Seifert was the equivalent of a Gruden or a Cowher. He was a huge name and he’d been out of the league for a bit.

The Panthers paid Seifert a ton of money. He might have been a good Xs and Os coach, but he definitely wasn’t a builder. Richardson’s not going to pay huge money to a coach this time around either, and that’s why I think a rising NFL coordinator will be the choice. Besides, there aren't any real strong indications that Cowher or Gruden have interest in the Carolina job.

But I’m not ruling out the possibility of a college coach. General manager Marty Hurney is going to stay and he’s going to lead the coaching search. But team president Danny Morrison is going to be his partner in this one, just like former team president Mark Richardson (the owner’s son) was back when Fox was hired in 2002. Richardson will have ultimate say in the hiring. But he's got his hands more full with the league's labor negotiations than anyone realizes and will rely on Hurney and Morrison to put solid candidates in front of him.

Don’t overlook the Morrison factor, and that’s a large part of the reason I’m not ruling out a college coach, although it's not the leading scenario. Morrsions's background was as a college administrator. As the main guy in the team’s business operation, Morrison’s also looking for a certain type of personality.

Although a Cowher or Gruden might generate an initial burst of interest for the fan base, Morrison and Hurney won’t be looking necessarily for a guy whose name will sell tickets in the long term. The coaching part is very important, but they also are going to be looking for someone with some personality and energy. They want a guy who will be active and involved with the fan base. They want someone the fans will embrace over the long term, even if there is some initial disappointment about not getting a big name.

One other thing to keep in mind here. This is not a situation where the Panthers already have a certain coach firmly in mind. Sure, they’ve got some guys on their radar already, but Morrison and Hurney are going to do a lengthy search. They’re going to take their time with this process.

When Seifert was fired, it was about three weeks before Fox was hired and second interviews were involved. I’d expect a similar time frame and process this time around.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post?id=16599

RuthlessBurgher
12-20-2010, 04:58 PM

What if the Panthers draft Andrew Luck #1 overall and hire Jim Harbaugh to continue coaching him on the next level?

Oviedo
12-20-2010, 05:00 PM

No thanks. I like having a coach who takes less than 15 years to win a Super Bowl. Just my opinion.

Shawn
12-20-2010, 05:12 PM

No thanks. I like having a coach who takes less than 15 years to win a Super Bowl. Just my opinion.

Agreed.

feltdizz
12-20-2010, 05:17 PM
On The Fan they were saying if Cowher gets a HC job he will more than likely make Arians his OC. 8)

RuthlessBurgher
12-20-2010, 05:31 PM
On The Fan they were saying if Cowher gets a HC job he will more than likely make Arians his OC. 8)

:tt2 :tt1

hawaiiansteel
12-20-2010, 05:38 PM

I will now be praying for Cowher to get a coaching job with all my heart...

http://www.bazuki.com/tsunami/0519-01.jpg

Crash
12-20-2010, 05:39 PM
Vince Lombardi could run the offense and it wouldn't matter if ownership tells him to re-commit to the running game.

Chadman
12-20-2010, 08:13 PM
Firstly- if the Panthers remove Fox as HC it's the most short-sighted move in that clubs history. The Panthers have the youngest player roster of all teams & their performance has been dictated by the transition of an old QB in Delhomme to a youngster this season in Clausen. Their 'star' RB is on IR- doesn't help.

If Fox becomes available- Chadman would love him added to the Steelers coaching group.

As for Cowher- not sure where this "he'll want an established QB" stuff has come from. Chadman's opinion of Cowher is that he'll want to build a team in his own image- not inherit someone elses pipe-dream.

Miami might not be a bad destination for Cowher- but Chadman just has a sneaky feeling he'll be going somewhere with mountains...and a QB that Cowher can mould into his own image...

Crash
12-20-2010, 08:19 PM
If SD cans Norv Cowher would be there in a week.

I don't think Bowlen wants to pay three HCs big money. He'll take Shanahan's kid or Kubiak on the cheap.

DukieBoy
12-20-2010, 09:31 PM
Cowher's going to the UFL, where men can still hit men and it's all good.

hawaiiansteel
12-20-2010, 09:37 PM
Firstly- if the Panthers remove Fox as HC it's the most short-sighted move in that clubs history.

John Fox is a good coach, but in this case it's probably best for all parties to make a change. I'm certain that Fox will easily get another head coaching job elsewhere.

Panthers beat Cardinals 19-12; Fox gets game ball

MIKE CRANSTON, AP Sports Writer
Monday, December 20, 2010

http://www.timesunion.com/mediaManager/?controllerName=image&action=get&id=482770&width=628&height=471

Carolina Panthers' Jeff King (47) celebrates as he runs into the end zone for a touchdown against the Arizona Cardinals in the first half of an NFL football game in Charlotte, N.C., Sunday, Dec. 19, 2010. (Rick Havner / AP)

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Seconds after Carolina recovered Arizona's last-ditch onside kick attempt on Sunday to seal a 19-12 victory and end a demoralizing seven-game losing streak, Jordan Gross tracked down the equipment manager.

He wanted the game ball and knew who needed it.

Gross and coach John Fox had been together since 2003, when the rookie left tackle was part of Fox's biggest accomplishment, a Super Bowl berth. They were around for the playoff seasons in '05 and '08 and they've been paired in this miserable year that's almost certainly Fox's last in Charlotte.

Gross, an offensive captain, secured the ball and handed it to Fox in the locker room after the season's final home game.

"I've been here almost as long as him. I know what he's meant to the organization," Gross said. "It's unfortunate that the season has gone the way it has, but it's just so nice to win today.

"As a guy who's been here with them, I thought it was neat to give him some recognition."

The win wasn't pretty — nothing has been this season for the NFL's worst team — but it didn't stop an emotional postgame experience for Fox, who secured an overall winning regular-season record while eliminating Arizona (4-10) from playoff contention.

Fox, in the last year of his contract after being denied an extension, raised his arms and clenched his fists as he walked off the field. He paused briefly to interact with some of his few remaining loyal fans left in a stadium that started out about half empty.

"That little corner, I've gotten close to them, too, after nine years," Fox said of the fans near the tunnel. "Signed autographs, just kind of the same thing I do all the time. It was an emotional day."

And the victory didn't even hurt Carolina's chances of securing the No. 1 overall draft pick and perhaps Stanford star quarterback Andrew Luck for the next coaching staff. Cincinnati also won Sunday, leaving the Panthers (2-12) still a game up in the race for the league's worst record.

"It meant a lot to us, but for (Fox), he was a little choked up," said tight end Jeff King, who caught a touchdown pass. "It was great seeing smiling faces again in the locker room."

Jimmy Clausen outplayed John Skelton in a matchup of rookie quarterbacks, throwing his first TD pass since Oct. 3. John Kasay kicked four field goals and Jonathan Stewart rushed for 137 yards as Carolina built a 19-3 lead — it's largest of the season.

"Anytime for us this season when we score a touchdown it's a big thing," said Fox, whose wife, Robin, was in the media room for his postgame press conference. "I was happy to see that happen. ... Like always, we made it interesting in the end."

Arizona (4-10), which was finally eliminated from the weak NFC West, mustered 43 yards rushing in its eighth loss in nine games. In his second start, Skelton threw an interception and lost a fumble, a big drop-off from his turnover-free performance a week earlier in a win over Denver.

"I think it's just forcing the ball sometimes. I threw an interception on a ball that should have never gone to (Stephen) Spach," said Skelton, a fifth-round pick from Fordham. "Those are plays that at a lower level, you can get away with, but when you come here they are going to make plays on defense.

"Even on other plays when I went the wrong place with the ball, there were drops or incompletions, but still they are plays I need to make."

The Cardinals got within 19-9 when Steve Breaston recovered teammate Tim Hightower's fumble in the end zone with 5:41 left. The 2-point conversion failed.

Jay Feely's second field goal with 54 seconds left got Arizona within a touchdown. But the Cardinals, who failed to recover a surprise onside kick to start the second half, saw Jordan Senn recover their second try to seal Carolina's victory.

"It's hard for anybody to find their rhythm when you make mistakes," Breaston said. "It's all about consistency and right now we don't have that as a unit and we find ourselves losing games."

Larry Fitzgerald, 27, caught nine passes for 125 yards to go over 8,000 yards receiving. Only Randy Moss reached the milestone at a younger age. But the Cardinals got only 16 yards rushing from Hightower a week after he went for a career-best 148 against the Broncos.

"Seemed like every time we had a chance to do something, we made mistakes," coach Ken Whisenhunt said.

That's what the Panthers have been doing most of the season, too. On Sunday, they did just enough to give their coach a going-away gift.

"We develop a lot of relationships here," Fox said. "There are a lot of high character guys in that locker room that I appreciate. It means a lot to me."

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/articl ... 910318.php (http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/Panthers-beat-Cardinals-19-12-Fox-gets-game-ball-910318.php)

RuthlessBurgher
12-21-2010, 02:27 PM

I don't think Bowlen wants to pay three HCs big money. He'll take Shanahan's kid or Kubiak on the cheap.

While the personnel in San Diego would seem to really fit what Cowher would be looking for...if Cowher and Tom Donahoe butted heads in a power struggle once upon a time, then Cowher and A.J. Smith would likely have a fight to the death.

Irongut
12-21-2010, 02:31 PM

While the personnel in San Diego would seem to really fit what Cowher would be looking for...if Cowher and Tom Donahoe butted heads in a power struggle once upon a time, then Cowher and A.J. Smith would likely have a fight to the death.
I don't see any chance of Cowher going to San Diego.

I don't see Norv Turner being fired either.

PSU_dropout43
12-21-2010, 02:35 PM

I don't see any chance of Cowher going to San Diego.

I don't see Norv Turner being fired either.
Exactly. Cowher and AJ Smith? Cowher may as well stab Marty in the back.

Crash
12-21-2010, 02:37 PM
The Chargers are in dire straits in that city, they want a new stadium.

If they fail to make the playoffs? They have to can Norv. Have to. He's a loser coach.

Cowher's an asshat, but his reputation and name alone could be what helps the Chargers get some help from the city to keep them.

Irongut
12-21-2010, 03:02 PM
The Chargers are in dire straits in that city, they want a new stadium.

If they fail to make the playoffs? They have to can Norv. Have to. He's a loser coach.

Cowher's an asshat, but his reputation and name alone could be what helps the Chargers get some help from the city to keep them.
So it is your opinion now that he would jump at the opportunity to work for a General Manager who fired Marty Schottenheimer and treated him in a manner of which many leaguewide feel innapropriate?

Wasn't it you who says the reason he wouldn't work in Washington for the Skins was the owner and mistreatment of the exact coach, Marty Schottenheimer?

You think he would want to work for an overbearing GM like AJ Smith? He's had power struggles before with much less jerks so he'd be accepting of a worse jerk as a boss?

You think he would want to work for an ownership group in flux and one that may well be sellin out in a move to another city?

The only way he ends up in coach of the Chargers is if he's given part ownership, an boatload of money, complete control and a move to LA already underway imo.

Seems your opinions may have changed but your inconsistentcy hasn't.

Crash
12-21-2010, 03:04 PM
So it is your opinion now that he would jump at the opportunity to work for a General Manager who fired Marty Schottenheimer and treated him in a manner of which many leaguewide feel unnapropriate?

Cowher would get his chance to coach the QB he wanted in 2004 grass puffer.

Why did he treat Marty bad? Because he fired him after choking again?

Irongut
12-21-2010, 03:11 PM
So it is your opinion now that he would jump at the opportunity to work for a General Manager who fired Marty Schottenheimer and treated him in a manner of which many leaguewide feel unnapropriate?

I'm simply asking you a question based on your previous statements..

I can see you would rather call names, deflect direct questions and erase parts of quotes so I think we're done here. Enjoy your day!

PSU_dropout43
12-21-2010, 03:11 PM

not true. Cowher wanted one of top two cornerbacks (dunta robinson/hall), when they were gone, he focused on shawn andrews.

Crash
12-21-2010, 03:16 PM
Cowher wanted Rivers, we were even trying to trade up with the Lions at #6 to get him before the Manning's pulled their crap.

Then when that started he wanted Hall.

Then when he went he wanted Andrews.

ROONEY got them on the Ben bandwagon in the war room.

Oviedo
12-21-2010, 03:31 PM
Cowher will want to go where he is allowed to be "king of all he sees." That means Houston, Miami or the Giants.

Other suggestions have personalities that would not last long with Cowher.

pfelix73
12-21-2010, 10:19 PM
1st- I have to comment on something from a few pages ago. Don't forget that Tomlin won that SB with pretty much the entire team that Cowher had in place 2 years beofre that. So, let's see how long it takes for Tomlin to win one on his own here....

2nd- I heard that on the Fan too. And broke up laughing hysterically. IF Cowher gets another HC gig, he's gonna have many potential OC's to choose from. I would doubt that Arians would be on that list.... For example- The young coach just fired from the Broncos....

However- IF Cowher would want BA- he can have him for a song....

SteelCrazy
12-21-2010, 10:39 PM
Crash, when did you 1st fall for Ben? When we got him or when he played for Miami? or are you from Findlay, Ohio? It seems you're more of a Ben Roethlisberger fan than a Steelers fan.....it seems

SteelCrazy
12-22-2010, 12:28 AM
Crash, when did you 1st fall for Ben? When we got him or when he played for Miami? or are you from Findlay, Ohio? It seems you're more of a Ben Roethlisberger fan than a Steelers fan.....it seems

CRASH, HELLO?

Crash
12-22-2010, 12:44 AM
Cowher didn't want Troy either. He was willing to stay where they were scheduled to pick and draft................ALONZO JACKSON in round one.

Colbert made the trade with the Chiefs because his scouts and he preferred Troy and to save Cowher from himself from making a bad reach.

Didn't want Ben either. Thank God for Dan Rooney.

If Cowher had absolute final say with no one to question him? He won't win.

SteelCrazy
12-22-2010, 12:54 AM
Cowher didn't want Troy either. He was willing to stay where they were scheduled to pick and draft................ALONZO JACKSON in round one.

Colbert made the trade with the Chiefs because his scouts and he preferred Troy and to save Cowher from himself from making a bad reach.

Seriously, when did you become a Big Ben fan?

hawaiiansteel
12-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Cowher doesn’t directly deny report of interest in three teams

Posted by Mike Florio on December 26, 2010

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/billcowherwithplaychart-e1292074094516.jpg?w=224

Last Sunday, ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reported that former Steelers coach Bill Cowher is targeting three teams for 2011: the Giants, Texans, and Dolphins. Unless Mortensen was picking through garbage like he does in that Dwight Freeney commercial, Mort got the info from Cowher or someone close to him. (The prevailing view is that the info was planted by Cowher’s agent.)

On Sunday, Cowher addressed the report during The NFL Today on CBS. And while he said some of the things that he needed to say (but that he should have said far closer to last Sunday than this Sunday), Cowher didn’t directly deny that he’d like to coach the Giants, Texans, or Dolphins.

“I answered this question with USA Today two weeks ago when they asked me, and I said then I will not deal with any hypothetical situations, and I certainly am not gonna speculate,” Cowher said. “Now I’ll just say this: For anyone to insinuate that I have a wish list of coaches to be fired, at this time of year, I have too much respect for the profession, I know how hard it is. I don’t wish for anybody to be fired, and for someone to insinuate that I am doing that right now is disrespectful to them and I’m insulted by it. I would not do that to the profession, I hope that every one of these coaches have an opportunity to come back.”

Though Cowher wouldn’t “do that to the profession,” someone apparently has done it on his behalf. And this gives Cowher a way to belatedly take the high road, well after the message was sent.

“I’m not naïve enough to say that there won’t be changes at the end of the year, but I will address that at the end of the year. And besides, I have a pretty good team up here right now. You know what, we’re going to the playoffs, and I want to enjoy and embrace every moment. I’ll say what I said before: I’m insulted that someone would imply that I’m out there wishing that anyone would get fired.”

If that’s true — if Cowher is insulted by the report — his position should have been articulated last weekend, and repeated in vehicles like an Associated Press interview. To take a common term like “wish list” and twist it into a suggestion that he’s hoping for men to be fired while blowing out birthday candles is a tad disingenuous. The report was/is that Cowher is interested in those jobs if they come open. The response comes off as damage control that, at its core, does nothing to dispel the notion that he’d like to be the next coach of the Giants, Texans, or Dolphins.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ree-teams/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/26/cowher-doesnt-deny-report-of-interest-in-three-teams/)

Irongut
12-26-2010, 06:34 PM

Seriously, when did you become a Big Ben fan?
April 24, 2004. Before this, he was strictly a hater of Hines Ward, Kordell, Bill Cowher and most everything Steelers related.