PDA

View Full Version : Taylor making case for Pro Bowl invite

SteelCrazy
12-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Cornerback Ike Taylor has been overshadowed by teammates such as linebackers James Harrison and Lawrence Timmons and strong safety Troy Polamalu.

But the season that is shaping up to be the best of what has been a pretty good career for Taylor has not gone unnoticed by his position coach.

“If you think Nnamdi Asomugha out in Oakland plays good ball then this guy is (doing) the same thing,” Steelers defensive backs coach Ray Horton said of Taylor. “Guys don’t throw at him anymore, he picks the ball off when they throw at him, he’s always on their top guy.”

Yes, there is a reason why Bryant McFadden is targeted more than impulse shoppers -– and it is not just because of his own shortcomings.

Taylor has been consistently shutting down the side of the field he patrols; the touchdown pass that Bills wide receiver Steve Johnson dropped a couple of weeks ago serves as a notable exception.

The rangy corner has two interceptions and should have a third.

Taylor made a pick six in the Steelers’ 34-3 win against the Raiders but a roughing the passer penalty on Harrison negated the play.

The NFL tacitly admitted after the fact that the call on Harrison had been a bad one as the league did not fine him for the penalty.

“I wish that the play against Oakland in the end zone had counted because that’s another interception, that’s another touchdown,” Horton said in reference to the case Taylor has been building for the Pro Bowl. “He’s on pace to have a great year. He’s doing a heck of a job with everything we want, tackling and coverage and being responsible, accountable. And again I go back to the Oakland Raiders’ corner. If he’s a Pro Bowl player then this guy’s a Pro Bowl player.”

Asomugha has been voted to three consecutive Pro Bowls while Taylor has yet to play in the annual all-star game.

Even if he is slighted this year, his timing has been impeccable in one sense.

Taylor is in the final year of his contract, and the eighth-year veteran is going to have considerable leverage when it comes time to talk to the Steelers about a new deal.

Taylor, who turns 31 in May, does not appear to be losing a step, and the Steelers could find themselves in dire straits at cornerback if Taylor does leave after the season.

That is another discussion for another day.

For now, Horton’s main thrust is for Taylor to get the recognition that he deserves -- Pro Bowl selection or not.

“I don’t get to see every player in the league,” Horton said. “I get to see enough of them where I’m kind of surprised that he’s not being talked about as absolutely shutting people down.”

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the- ... ox+Blog%29 (http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/12/10/taylor-making-case-for-pro-bowl-invite/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29)

Oviedo
12-10-2010, 11:29 AM
I really don't see how the Steelers cannot resign Taylor. There is nothing of value among the other CBs. Even if you draft a CB in Round 1 would he ever be able to get on the field in LeBeau's defense?

It will be interesting to see if the Steelers may have to sacrifice Woodley to keep Taylor. I'm sure Taylor is looking for a $8-10M contract. That would be a tough call, plus you have to resign Timmons and Poalamalu in 2012.

hawaiiansteel
12-10-2010, 03:32 PM

Taylor is in the final year of his contract, and the eighth-year veteran is going to have considerable leverage when it comes time to talk to the Steelers about a new deal.

Taylor, who turns 31 in May, does not appear to be losing a step, and the Steelers could find themselves in dire straits at cornerback if Taylor does leave after the season.

the Steelers pretty much have to re-sign Taylor but the price tag is going to be higher than what the Steelers like to pay to players in their 30s....

RuthlessBurgher
12-10-2010, 04:26 PM

the Steelers pretty much have to re-sign Taylor but the price tag is going to be higher than what the Steelers like to pay to players in their 30s....

And that price tag will only go up further if he makes the Pro Bowl. If I were Horton, I'd shut the hell up about trying to get him into the Pro Bowl. I don't want him to be voted in, because I don't want his agent to be using that as extra ammo to get more money out of us.

hawaiiansteel
12-10-2010, 04:39 PM

And that price tag will only go up further if he makes the Pro Bowl. If I were Horton, I'd shut the hell up about trying to get him into the Pro Bowl. I don't want him to be voted in, because I don't want his agent to be using that as extra ammo to get more money out of us.

exactly, reminds me of Rex Ryan opening his big mouth about how great Revis was which only made trying to re-sign him that much more difficult.