PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Discussion Regarding New Coaches and Coordinator

Oviedo
12-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Schefter was on Mike and Mike this morning and they started discussing what might happen with new head coaching positions, etc. Schefter brought up an excellent point that the CBA situation will handcuff the owners and make making any changes very difficult.

The point he brought up is how does a team implement a new scheme on either side of the ball if coaches can't have contact with players. It would be impossible to bring in new defensive or offensive schemes and implement those without having access to the players during the normal Feb-July timeframe.

Bottomline was he said don't expect teams to make changes in their staffs.

papillon
12-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Schefter was on Mike and Mike this morning and they started discussing what might happen with new head coaching positions, etc. Schefter brought up an excellent point that the CBA situation will handcuff the owners and make making any changes very difficult.

The point he brought up is how does a team implement a new scheme on either side of the ball if coaches can't have contact with players. It would be impossible to bring in new defensive or offensive schemes and implement those without having access to the players during the normal Feb-July timeframe.

That's fine by me when it comes to the Steelers... :stirpot

Pappy

Oviedo
12-08-2010, 01:52 PM

Pappy

We are 9-3 so I guess everything is kosher on both sides of the ball :stirpot

birtikidis
12-08-2010, 02:16 PM

Pappy
what that means pap.. is another year with BA.. and we would be SCREWED if DLB decided to retire (he's getting old ya know).
of course, i think we'd just promote from within.. maybe bring a guy in but doubtful.

Oviedo
12-08-2010, 02:33 PM

Pappy
what that means pap.. is another year with BA.. and we would be SCREWED if DLB decided to retire (he's getting old ya know).
of course, i think we'd just promote from within.. maybe bring a guy in but doubtful.

I'm pretty certain Keith Butler is the hier apparent for the DC job. He was offered and poised to take the Dolphins DC job until he had discussions with the Steelers. I'm sure promises and a timeline were discussed. My bet is LeBeau retires after this season or next at the latest.

birtikidis
12-08-2010, 02:35 PM

Pappy

I'm pretty certain Keith Butler is the hier apparent for the DC job. He was offered and poised to take the Dolphins DC job until he had discussions with the Steelers. I'm sure promises and a timeline were discussed. My bet is LeBeau retires after this season or next at the latest.
I agree about Butler.. just don't have confidence in him. thus we would be screwed.

steelblood
12-08-2010, 02:44 PM

Pappy

I agree about Butler.. just don't have confidence in him. thus we would be screwed.

LeBeau would give (or has given) Butler all of his resources/blitzes/tricks. Butler is ready. I would not be surprised to see LeBeau retire in 2011 or 2012.

BA is going nowhere as long as we continue to win.

birtikidis
12-08-2010, 02:48 PM
it's hard to have confidence in a guy (as a fan) when he hasn't been given the reins. He may turn out to be confused as all hell.

I hope to GOD that BA decides to call it quits.. or maybe some moron from some other team will hire him as a head coach.

Oviedo
12-08-2010, 03:05 PM
it's hard to have confidence in a guy (as a fan) when he hasn't been given the reins. He may turn out to be confused as all hell.

I hope to GOD that BA decides to call it quits.. or maybe some moron from some other team will hire him as a head coach.

BA is on the last year of his contract. It isn't a matter of him quitting. The Rooney's have the decision to retain or let walk.

birtikidis
12-08-2010, 03:06 PM

BA is on the last year of his contract. It isn't a matter of him quitting. The Rooney's have the decision to retain or let walk.
yea, read the thread.
bc of the CBA it is unlikely that there will be a bunch of coaches moving. we may be forced to keep him.

flippy
12-08-2010, 03:28 PM
THis makes me wonder if the FA $s will go down for players. There won't be time to coach/prepare them for a new system. So they have less value to other teams.

This could be more of a position thing. Or individual player. But I could see the coach issue spilling over to players.

Could also impact the draft significantly. It'll be even harder for younger players and those switching positions to contribute.