View Full Version : Goodell's nightmare could come true - toxic differential

JAR
12-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Ben vs Vick SB. :)

Highest toxic differential this season
Team Turnover diff. Big-play diff. Toxic diff. W-L
1. Steelers +11 +26 +37 9-3
2. Eagles +15 +15 +30 8-4

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... ule=HP_cp2 (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81cb7bfa/article/who-is-playoff-bound-toxic-differential-tells-the-tale?module=HP_cp2)

skyhawk
12-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Nice.

And just think if this defense could add in a few more INT's.

And I guarantee you Goodell doesn't like these stats or the "Toxic differential"

Neither do fantasy football prognosticators. They have ruined the game for the most part.

D Rock
12-08-2010, 12:28 AM
That makes a lot of sense as to why Lebaeu's scheme has always been to limit big plays (10 yd cushions on the WR...unfortunately even that isn't working this year), and why the Steelers are consistent winners.

Oviedo
12-08-2010, 01:31 PM
Won't happen. Goodell's henchmen is stripes will make sure the calls, or non calls, go the way they need to make sure that match up never happens.

AngryAsian
12-08-2010, 03:10 PM
I was just surfing NFL.com and saw this and was about to post the link... nice find, brother. Our 2008 run surely was the greatest example of this statistic and even more so in the BIG GAME itself. What a year for splash plays or for being "TOXIC."

California-Steel
12-08-2010, 03:46 PM
This is a crap stat. If you are winning then these numbers go up anyways. It's like saying that if you are in the plus category over your opponents then you will win your games. Duh!!!

If you are getting take aways and making big plays and your opponents are not, then guess what?!? You are simply beating your opponents. This is just looking at the obvious.

It's like looking at a boxers who is undefeated then looking at some stat that says over all he hits his opponents more than they hit him.

Toxic crap is what this is. This is two fools wanting to look like smart guys. Hey you know what? I just looked at all the winning teams and they all scored more points than they gave up. Duh!!! They also seemed to have more big plays then the teams they beat. Again Duh!!! Wait wait...They also got more turnovers than the losing teams as well. Wow!!! youíre a genius.
:wft

This is nothing more than the end result of winning.

flippy
12-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Thanks. Never heard this term. I've thought about TO and big play differentials, but never combined the 2 into a single predictor.

Too bad Tomlin didn't come up with this first so it could be called the Splash Differential or something cooler. I don't like the term Toxic in this name.

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
12-08-2010, 06:38 PM
This is a crap stat. If you are winning then these numbers go up anyways. It's like saying that if you are in the plus category over your opponents then you will win your games. Duh!!!

If you are getting take aways and making big plays and your opponents are not, then guess what?!? You are simply beating your opponents. This is just looking at the obvious.

It's like looking at a boxers who is undefeated then looking at some stat that says over all he hits his opponents more than they hit him.

Toxic crap is what this is. This is two fools wanting to look like smart guys. Hey you know what? I just looked at all the winning teams and they all scored more points than they gave up. Duh!!! They also seemed to have more big plays then the teams they beat. Again Duh!!! Wait wait...They also got more turnovers than the losing teams as well. Wow!!! youíre a genius.

It's a better indicator of team strength, think about it, we got trounced by the Pats yet Ben's numbers looked pretty good in the end, does that give you a good indicator as to the Steelers strength? True that the stat is the result of winning but throwing for 300 yards is not.

California-Steel
12-09-2010, 04:09 PM
[quote="California-Steel":10fkzm38]This is a crap stat. If you are winning then these numbers go up anyways. It's like saying that if you are in the plus category over your opponents then you will win your games. Duh!!!

It's a better indicator of team strength, think about it, we got trounced by the Pats yet Ben's numbers looked pretty good in the end, does that give you a good indicator as to the Steelers strength? True that the stat is the result of winning but throwing for 300 yards is not.[/quote:10fkzm38]Yeah, it indicates that you have been winning more than you have been losing is all. Just look at teams record and I bet the list is just about the same. You can only guess that a team with the most wins will have the better turnover ratio and the better big play ratio also. Still and obvious observation no matter how you look at it. It is just stating the obvious. It is the same as looking at the Win Lose columns.

This is a useless stat. It is a stat just to say you have a stat. It is like saying that 100% of people need nutrients to live. Donít eat at all and you die. Well donít move the ball and you lose. Turn over the ball more than you take it away then lose more time than you win. Do you really need a stat to tell you that.

Why did you lose today. Not sure I will have to look at the stats to tell you that. Well you turned it over 5 times and took it away none. You could not move the ball and punted a lot. They had quit a few big plays. Do you really think that stat is all that useful? It only states the obvious.