PDA

View Full Version : How to beat the Pats.....

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
12-07-2010, 02:48 PM
#1 Rush 2 and have a mix of 9 with our LB'S and Secondary.
#2 When we do Blitz, Blitz up the middle, when we do this our corners need to cut off the short inside crap.
#3 Disguise the blitz effectively and when we get to Brady, smear his panzy face into the turf.
#4 Don't worry about the run...DO NOT LET THE PASS AND THAT PANZY (TB) BEAT US

#5--GUTS AND DETERMINATION AND A MEMORY OF HOW THAT PANZY SMEARED IT IN OUR FACES!!!

#6---Keep their offense off the field ...the box score should read like the following:
Mendenahll 28 - 120 yds Redman 11- 55 yds RUN RUN RUN

Man I can't stand those guys...Honestly I feel like they are cheating somehow....worst defense in the nFL and a bunch of wanna be's and rooks...how else can they be doing this.

California-Steel
12-07-2010, 03:01 PM
...Honestly I feel like they are cheating somehow....worst defense in the nFL and a bunch of wanna be's and rooks...how else can they be doing this.
With a coach that puts togeather a game plan vs. each team. By not just running the same set of plays each week regardless of the opponent.

I never will unstand why BA thinks his plays just work in all situations. Then when he is shutdown he just says "we can't change what we do".

Well, Mr. Belicheat and Marsha Brady change what they do depending on each team and what they do. They put togeather a game plan specific for each team they play and attack that teams weakness. We just bang our heads in to the wall and hope it breaks before our heads do. :HeadBanger

pittpete
12-07-2010, 04:01 PM
A very smart head coach and assistant coaches who are willing to change and adjust with each game.
Brady even though I hate him is very smart and with time is patient enough to take what defenses give him.
They also have a solid vet O-line.
I swear Brady goes play action on almost every pass and keeps defenses on thier heels

PSU_dropout43
12-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Simple.

Don't play them after three road games.

effing Goodell. (more conspiracy fuel for Crash :wink: )

flippy
12-07-2010, 06:08 PM
IMHO we'd have to beat them with our offense. It would be 100% on Ben in the rematch to put points on the board.

Spread em out. No huddle. Run up the score.

And hope the D can hang on and get a turnover.

steelblood
12-07-2010, 06:35 PM
bellichek is a real douche, but he's the best coach currently in the NFL. His team adapts and changes, but the success continues. Now, starting all of those rookies on defense is starting to pay off a bit. They are peaking at the right time for a deep playoff run.

Dee Dub
12-07-2010, 09:03 PM

I don’t think this will work versus the Pats. The Steelers tried something similar last time where they rushed primarily 3 and 4 and Brady had all the time in the world. As a result he torched them.

#2 When we do Blitz, Blitz up the middle, when we do this our corners need to cut off the short inside crap.

If the Steelers focus on one particular area from where to bring the blitz this will only help Brady. What they need to do is disguise it to where he doesn’t know where it is coming from. If he has an idea of where it is coming from he can change to protection and thus nullify the pass rush. And I would suggest this has to be something different than what the Steelers normally do. Based on last game, Brady has the Steelers blitz figured out.

#3 Disguise the blitz effectively and when we get to Brady, smear his panzy face into the turf.

I would hope they tackle him in a way that doesn’t result in what you suggest>>>>>>>>>>>>> penalties, fines, and possible suspensions.

#6---Keep their offense off the field ...the box score should read like the following:
Mendenahll 28 - 120 yds Redman 11- 55 yds RUN RUN RUN

I think this would be great but unless the Steelers try and spread the 3-4 defense of the Patriots out we will see basically what we saw from the Steelers offense the last time they met.

skyhawk
12-07-2010, 09:25 PM
Football is not rocket science. All this talk of adjustments and game plans. :roll:

Tom Brady and his offensive line control the game, plain and simple.

And maybe, just maybe, the Jets are a tad over-rated?

NorthCoast
12-07-2010, 10:12 PM
M. Hoge gave the recipe to defend against the Pats this morning and I agree with it. The problem, we don't have the defensive personnel to execute it. He basically said you have to attack Brady and put him on the ground with only 4 pass rushers. The WRs need to be jammed at the line and the safeties need to play up close. We need CBs that can hang with a WR for more than 2 seconds. We only have one.

Oh, and I agree about their OL. It is playing the best of any in the league right now.

And yes, the Jets ARE over-rated. They are now 1-3 against teams with a winning record.

Dee Dub
12-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Football is not rocket science. All this talk of adjustments and game plans. :roll:

True but it seems to be hard to comprehended for the simple layman. And thus is why they are not coordinators/coaches.

Tom Brady and his offensive line control the game, plain and simple.

I won’t argue this but it sure helps when A QB can recognize where the blitz is coming from and what the coverage is behind it. And it is true that Brady is good at this but I can take you to games in the past where Brady stunk. Why? Because the opposing defense got to him and it was predicated on them disguising both the blitz and the coverage.

And maybe, just maybe, the Jets are a tad over-rated?

The Jets are a bit over-rated but they are an above average football team. And let us not forget the Pats blew the Steelers out as well. And they beat Baltimore earlier in the season.

Dee Dub
12-08-2010, 03:17 PM
M. Hoge gave the recipe to defend against the Pats this morning and I agree with it. The problem, we don't have the defensive personnel to execute it. He basically said you have to attack Brady and put him on the ground with only 4 pass rushers. The WRs need to be jammed at the line and the safeties need to play up close. We need CBs that can hang with a WR for more than 2 seconds. We only have one.

Oh, and I agree about their OL. It is playing the best of any in the league right now.

And yes, the Jets ARE over-rated. They are now 1-3 against teams with a winning record.

I won’t argue this but it sure helps when A QB can recognize where the blitz is coming from and what the coverage is behind it. And it is true that Brady is good at this but I can take you to games in the past where Brady stunk. Why? Because the opposing defense got to him and it was predicated on them disguising both the blitz and the coverage.

The Jets are a bit over-rated but they are an above average football team. And let us not forget the Pats blew the Steelers out as well. And they beat Baltimore earlier in the season.

Well I won’t say that Hoge’s formula won’t work…this is exactly what the Giants did versus the Pats in the Super Bowl a couple years ago. But it isn’t the only way. In 2004 the Steelers defeated the Pats 33-10. They brought a lot more than 4 men after Brady that day. They sacked him 4 times and had pressure on him all game long. As a result he threw 2 picks too. This was with a secondary of Willie Williams, DeShea Townsend, Troy Polamalu, Chris Pope, Ike Taylor, and Ricardo Colclough.

For the personnel of the Pittsburgh Steelers and the defense they run, Lebeau needs to go back and study this game. He has the same defensive scheme today and his personnel isn’t that much different.

skyhawk
12-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Dee Dub,

It's true Brady stinks it up occasionally. But not very often. He is just THAT good. The Steelers MUSTdo something different the next time they play them.

And it's my opinion that only one team can stop the Patriots right now, and that's the Steelers, provided that they do mix it up and create pressure and confusion for Brady and the receivers. It's not a given, but I don't see anyone else with the ability to do it right now in the NFL.

Flasteel
12-08-2010, 07:47 PM

Are you high? :lol:

Rush 2? :shock:

Yeah...5 against 2 with 5 guys in pattern (assuming the ball is not crammed down your throat :P ). Every quarterback in the league would start looking like Brady and Brady would start looking like his face belongs on Mount Rushmore.

We need to pressure that guy and play press coverage. I agree with the middle cross blitz and the need to disguise and come up with new ways of attacking their defense.

skyhawk
12-08-2010, 07:54 PM

Yeah...5 against 2 with 5 guys in pattern (assuming the ball is not crammed down your throat :P ). Every quarterback in the league would start looking like Brady and Brady would start looking like his face belongs on Mount Rushmore.

We need to pressure that guy and play press coverage. I agree with the middle cross blitz and the need to disguise and come up with new ways of attacking their defense.

I wondered the same thing Maybe he meant rush 2 down "linemen" and use the 9 other players in a certain package? :?

Chadman
12-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Score more than they do. The Pats organisation invested heavily in making the offense work- at the expense of the Defense. Attack their weakness- go after them with the ball.

The Steelers D is somewhat handcuffed- the personel are in place to run the LeBeau 3-4 effectively- only problem is, the Pats have found the formula to nullify the Steelers D. No amount of extra blitzing is going to catch Brady before 3 steps. No amount of extra DB's on the field will stop their passing game. You stop the run- that the Steelers CAN do, you stop the 'big plays' in the passing game, you attack Brady as best you can. Maybe you leave Troy in pass protection.

You slow the Pats O, you attack their poor D.

Basically- what the Pats do- attack the weaknesses, disguise your own.

fordfixer
12-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Rushing, not passing, key to beating Pats
December, 8, 2010
Dec 8
1:57
AM ET
http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/ ... ating-pats (http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/13658/rushing-not-passing-key-to-beating-pats)

By Matt Willis
Even after allowing just 149 passing yards to the New York Jets in Monday night’s blowout victory, the New England Patriots are still 31st in the NFL, allowing 276.8 pass yards per game. Only the Houston Texans have a more porous pass defense this season.

That being said, this season has shown that the ground game, opposed to going through the air, is the key to beating the 10-2 Patriots.

The two teams to beat the Patriots this season, the Jets in their first meeting and the Cleveland Browns back in Week Nine, averaged 187 yards passing and 183 yards rushing in their wins over New England. In the Patriots 10 wins, they allowed averages of 294.8 pass yards and 100.3 rushing yards.

The end result of the game strategy? The Browns and Jets averaged 31 points in their two wins. In the 10 losses, Patriots' opponents scored 20.7 points a game.

In games where the Patriots allowed 200 or fewer pass yards, they’re 1-2, with the Browns gaining 174 and the Jets 200 in their wins. The only win in that span was Monday night's thrashing of the Jets. In games allowing more than 200 pass yards, New England is 9-0.

Patriots Defense This Season
In Wins and Losses
10 Wins 2 Losses
PPG 20.7 31.0
Pass YPG 294.8 187.0
Rush YPG 100.3 183.0
Yds per rush 4.1 4.8
Rush att PG 24.5 38.0
The key also seems to lie with sticking with the run. In those two losses, Patriots’ opponents averaged 38 rushes a game, to the tune of 4.8 yards a carry. In the 10 wins, the Patriots faced only 24.5 rush attempts a game, allowing 4.1 yards a carry.

So, while the Patriots defense allows some gaudy passing numbers, they’ve also faced a league-high 474 pass attempts this season. New England has also intercepted 18 passes this season, the second-most in the NFL behind only the Philadelphia Eagles.

And what teams want to avoid is trying to out-pass the Patriots, as New England, led by Tom Brady, has a league-high 27 TD passes this season, against only five interceptions, the second-fewest in the NFL, behind only the run-happy Kansas City Chiefs, who lead the league in rushing attempts.

pick6
12-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Ford, this is a very interesting article. And the points that the author makes are well thought out. But im going to have to stick to my guns on this one.

Both the Jets and Browns have awesome olines. Ideally, yeah, you go and pound it on their slow and stiff front seven (their pretty strong though). We just don't have the horses to do this consistantly. For us to beat these guys its going to come down to offensive execution and willpower. What we are successful at doing, offensively, over the next 4 weeks and presumably any playoff action we see prior to seeing the patriots again, is going to dictate to us how we attack them. and here's why.

as we all know these scumbags game plan. meaning they look at strengths and weakness. Take away your strengths and exploit your weaknesses. they saw the weakness of our pass protect against the saints and Ben's inability to get rid of the ball quickly ( BA calling 20 yard routes for everyone). So they blitzed us and ruined our execution. Now they may try this again but best believe they are watching and seeing how we adapt real time.

If we had to play them next week to go to the superbowl. I would feature passing to Mendy and Moore out of a basic pro set. This matches mendy's hands and speed against the Pats slower linebackers. I just dont like their LB's in open space against our backs. Doing this early will open things up for the offense. I would not try to block the blitz but instead I would attack it. That means hitting Heath,Moore and Mendy quick. Hitting our outside receivers quick. This also requires that we stay out of third and long by executing on first down. I would pass on 1st down almost 70% of the time from a variety of personnel sets and formations. I would hurry the pace and have guys running in and out of the game causing match up problems for a very weak patriots defense. We really wouldn't be huddling at all just going to line calling the play and switching a few players out at the line. We have to stay on the field to keep brady off the field and get him thinking instead of clicking.

For the next few weeks i would keep it pretty vanilla except against the jets but sanchez is not a threat to us. Dont need to show too much just prior to the new look for the playoffs.

Oviedo
12-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Ford, this is a very interesting article. And the points that the author makes are well thought out. But im going to have to stick to my guns on this one.

Both the Jets and Browns have awesome olines. Ideally, yeah, you go and pound it on their slow and stiff front seven (their pretty strong though). We just don't have the horses to do this consistantly. For us to beat these guys its going to come down to offensive execution and willpower. What we are successful at doing, offensively, over the next 4 weeks and presumably any playoff action we see prior to seeing the patriots again, is going to dictate to us how we attack them. and here's why.

as we all know these scumbags game plan. meaning they look at strengths and weakness. Take away your strengths and exploit your weaknesses. they saw the weakness of our pass protect against the saints and Ben's inability to get rid of the ball quickly ( BA calling 20 yard routes for everyone). So they blitzed us and ruined our execution. Now they may try this again but best believe they are watching and seeing how we adapt real time.

If we had to play them next week to go to the superbowl. I would feature passing to Mendy and Moore out of a basic pro set. This matches mendy's hands and speed against the Pats slower linebackers. I just dont like their LB's in open space against our backs. Doing this early will open things up for the offense. I would not try to block the blitz but instead I would attack it. That means hitting Heath,Moore and Mendy quick. Hitting our outside receivers quick. This also requires that we stay out of third and long by executing on first down. I would pass on 1st down almost 70% of the time from a variety of personnel sets and formations. I would hurry the pace and have guys running in and out of the game causing match up problems for a very weak patriots defense. We really wouldn't be huddling at all just going to line calling the play and switching a few players out at the line. We have to stay on the field to keep brady off the field and get him thinking instead of clicking.

For the next few weeks i would keep it pretty vanilla except against the jets but sanchez is not a threat to us. Dont need to show too much just prior to the new look for the playoffs.

:Agree

SteelAbility
12-09-2010, 10:04 PM
The Pats' "poor" pass D is really a product of getting way up with other teams having to air it out playing catch up.

It boils down to the fact that you can't be one dimensional, either pass or run. The threat of both has to be constant and present to be effective. The question is which is your strength? Pass or run. You have to play FROM your strength TO your weakness, setting up one with the other. IMO, both strategies can work against the Pats. It depends on your team. And two teams beating the Pats with run is simply a very small sample set.

papillon
12-09-2010, 11:32 PM
If the Steelers get another chance at the patriots they will have to outscore them to win. They will have to win the game 41-38 or 45-42 or some such thing. They will need to match them score for score and hope for a big defensive play late in the game.

I don't see the defense limiting them to under 30 points. The offense will have to step up in that game and win it for the Steelers, IMHO.

Pappy

BURGH86STEEL
12-10-2010, 12:15 AM
I think they will need to get more pressure on Brady. Ben and company will need to play better early in the game if they face the Pats again.

hawaiiansteel
12-10-2010, 12:57 AM
the answer lies in the name of the poster who started this thread, that's how you beat the Pats.

NJ-STEELER
12-10-2010, 03:29 AM

the browns (who beat the pats) did a lot of 3 man rush drop 8 vs brady

NJ-STEELER
12-10-2010, 03:49 AM

i think he's getting at something i proposed on another board.

something we have to do is mix things up regardless, cause if he knows whats coming...we're gonna get burned. thats something we've seen regularly..... blitzing or not. the same old ILB cross blitz isn't going to fool them and they know debo and woodley are coming most of the time too . time for some new wrinkles, maybe send send corners or some other exotic blitz.

i proposed a 4 man line with woodley and debo as down ends and hood/hampo/smith/Keisel on the inside. worilds spells them as well as farrior.
the back 7 would include mostly DBs including troy at LB with timmons and sometimes farrior.

in this scheme, if we only rush 3-4... its the best guys we got at getting to the QB. at the same time, we'd have 5-6 Dbs with another LB who is good in coverage with timmons. off the field or out of the coverage schemes are the big slower DLs and someone like woodley. this increases outr qucikness back there in trying to combat their small, quick receivers