PDA

View Full Version : Redundant Thoughts 2010 Week 13 @ Ravens

redundantman
12-07-2010, 02:15 PM
1. My favorite part was where the Steelers won.

2. My second most favorite part of this game was the part where the Ravens, disheartened after their nationally televised beat-down, were al ritualistically murdered by their knife-weilding psychopath Ray Lewis in front of all both of their fans and then the mayor of Baltimore came on television and apologized for how much his entire city sucks …. Of course that could never really happen. Everyone knows there is no such thing as “Ravens fans”.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQewerLhLuIeoKch3iN8QH9C2owbsJRu qrABFTw9UjJ5XC4Cg5tew
Sniff … so many people, so few knives.

3. And I guess the commentators can shut up about the Ravens not giving up a TD off a turnover yet this year.

4. On the pregame they had a segment with DLB. Apparently the Steelers have a tradition in which DLB recites (from memory) “T’was the Night Before Christmas”. The interviewer asked DLB about it and asked him to throw a little bit of it down right there in the interview. And he did. If you had seen it it seems like Dick has some heart behind him because he recited it well. I was impressed.

5. Speaking of traditions … we can’t have a RT thread following a Sunday night game without me complaining about the stupidest theme song evar! Ridiculous … again, Faith Hill has no credibility and her knees are sharp.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKPvtaxfbza5nGZSsNBo2RDQA08oSO5 XZUl-HZVrqg0xjBpdMx

6. The Steelers deferred on the opening kick-off. There was a penalty. I was somewhat surprised when the penalty wasn’t on James Harrison for “roughing the passer”.

7. That Raven’s fake punt looked like it was going to work like a charm. The Steelers dodged a bullet there.

8. Flacco was getting good protection for most of the game. So what is I about the Steelers defense?

9. I heard someone on this board float the notion that DLB is saving some of the more exotic packages for the inevitable playoff run. I’ve seen others saying that DLB should be fired. After watching the end of this game I am more convinced than ever that:
• DLB hasn’t “slipped”.
• Troy Polamalu hasn’t “lost a step”.
• The primary driver of this perception is the lack of Aaron Smith.
• McFadden misses Aaron Smith too.

10. There is a commercial in which there are young people that use their phone to find their snow covered car on the street. Seriously? If you are THAT drunk what makes you think you can find and/or operate your phone?

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4gvhlc9pT8JEeUudDq1Qzu2ZDMBeJW WrcxjmJ7EpjSPlCwQK78w

11. Penalties. It wasn’t as bad as it was against the Raiders but if they can’t get this crap under control they will go nowhere in the post season.

12. What is it about Steelers kickers that doesn’t allow them to kick-off deep?

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzfmIdUKBhzJff8MtFrZKuVoWM_sqWo brrgZdEugrd2aBFeEX4
GIS for “terrible kickers” … page one.

13. Fitting that the one kick-off that Suisham got that would have resulted in a touchback was negated on a penalty.

14. The story of the first half was 2-0 Ravens. They had two big plays and the Steelers had none. The Ravens would have won had they been able to maintain that in the second half. But when a big play was called for a big play was made. Thank you Mr. Polamalu.

15. This game was 2.5 hours of boredom followed by 30 minutes of heart pounding excitement. The Steelers will be the death of us all one day … but what a way to go eh?

16. Injuries … we shouldn’t be surprised but this is painful. Literally.

17. It is infuriating that whatshisface wasn’t called for that gratuitous shot on Miller.

18. Had the first 13 weeks of this season not gone down the way they did I wouldn’t have given Ben’s bloody nose a second thought.

19. I am thoroughly impressed that the Steelers found a way to win this game.

20. Perspective: it takes a certain number of weeks to define a team. You can bring the same players back from last year but past performance is no indicator of future results – unless you are talking about the level of Ray Lewis’ attention whoring …

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2buEdKiJHfo6r-BZLR52tl1r7bMepTvieFyC8KS1qyRdrXOdwwA

I believe week 13 was the week this year’s Steelers were defined. Regardless of what Harbaugh might say the Ravens did not give this game away. The Steelers took it. The Steelers have positioned themselves nicely to win the AFC North despite lacking an offensive line and a punter in a defensive struggle. Where a team effort was required a team effort was provided. All the more fun when it results in a loss for the Ravens.

NW Steeler
12-07-2010, 02:44 PM

I believe week 13 was the week this year’s Steelers were defined. Regardless of what Harbaugh might say the Ravens did not give this game away. The Steelers took it. The Steelers have positioned themselves nicely to win the AFC North despite lacking an offensive line and a punter in a defensive struggle. Where a team effort was required a team effort was provided. All the more fun when it results in a loss for the Ravens.

I agree. The Steelers proved that they have resolve and are tough as hell. I don't know if we can overcome all of our injuries or not, but this team will fight tooth and nail until they are dragged off of the field. And hopefully, once and for all people can STFU about Ben being a drama queen. The dude is tough as nails. Despite his "shortcomings" I wouldn't take any other QB in the league over this guy.

Eich
12-07-2010, 02:44 PM

:Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap

Chachi
12-07-2010, 03:17 PM
http://i.imgur.com/r8lS8.gif

Discipline of Steel
12-07-2010, 03:32 PM

Very nice Chach....subtle.

RKSteel
12-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Chachi,

My first reaction is why the hell are you posting a pic of jazz hands, then I got it.

Nice :D

papillon
12-07-2010, 04:10 PM
15. This game was 2.5 hours of boredom followed by 30 minutes of heart pounding excitement. The Steelers will be the death of us all one day … but what a way to go eh?

The game wasn't boring it was old school football and it was nice to see again. It's probably the only time that I will see anything resembling old school football, so I thoroughly enjoyed the game form beginning to end.

I'm sorry that the two teams didn't score 75 points and march up and down the field and only penalties or stupid plays stop drives. The defenses actually had a say in this game as well as the offenses.

Pappy

grotonsteel
12-07-2010, 04:15 PM

The game wasn't boring it was old school football and it was nice to see again. It's probably the only time that I will see anything resembling old school football, so I thoroughly enjoyed the game form beginning to end.

I'm sorry that the two teams didn't score 75 points and march up and down the field and only penalties or stupid plays stop drives. The defenses actually had a say in this game as well as the offenses.

Pappy

:Agree

One of the best games in recent times...complete smash mouth...

grotonsteel
12-07-2010, 04:17 PM
Chachi,

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This is one heck of a photoshop....nicely done.....

grotonsteel
12-07-2010, 04:18 PM

:Clap :Clap :Clap

Sheer will to win ..

RuthlessBurgher
12-07-2010, 04:30 PM
Chachi,

That's a camber classic from back in the day at the Trib...

ikestops85
12-07-2010, 04:44 PM
That game Sunday night is the type of game that Czar Goodell and his command want to eliminate. F'em!!

Chachi
12-07-2010, 04:46 PM
Chachi,

Yes it is...thank you very much. :D

fordfixer
12-07-2010, 05:32 PM

Pappy
:Agree :Clap :Clap :Clap :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

Lonbull
12-07-2010, 05:47 PM
I heard someone on this board float the notion that DLB is saving some of the more exotic packages for the inevitable playoff run. I’ve seen others saying that DLB should be fired. After watching the end of this game I am more convinced than ever that:
• DLB hasn’t “slipped”.

First of all DLB - is better than bad word - I like it.

Secondly - LeBeau is adjusting the defense away from Troy Polamalu and towards Timmons. Any adjustments take time, however you're adjusting from a guy who could possibly be one of the best defensive players we've ever had (and yes I remember the 70's teams) to a player who is still fairly young - and is playing on a great level - even if it still isn't in Troy's orbit.

Unfortunately I think the Aaron Smith era is over....he has been unable to stay healthy and I can only hope that a decent replacement can be found for upcoming seasons.

As always I look forward to this thread.

L.B.

fordfixer
12-07-2010, 06:34 PM
I heard someone on this board float the notion that DLB is saving some of the more exotic packages for the inevitable playoff run. I’ve seen others saying that DLB should be fired. After watching the end of this game I am more convinced than ever that:
• DLB hasn’t “slipped”.

Secondly - LeBeau is adjusting the defense away from Troy Polamalu and towards Timmons. Any adjustments take time, however you're adjusting from a guy who could possibly be one of the best defensive players we've ever had (and yes I remember the 70's teams) to a player who is still fairly young - and is playing on a great level - even if it still isn't in Troy's orbit.

Unfortunately I think the Aaron Smith era is over....he has been unable to stay healthy and I can only hope that a decent replacement can be found for upcoming seasons.

L.B.

Don't you have to look backwards to a redundant thread? :?

DukieBoy
12-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Billy Preston w/o the Fro Wig in an ugly outfit ???

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Billy Preston w/o the Fro Wig in an ugly outfit ???

Needs a bigger gap in his teeth. Plus, Billy Preston played with the Beatles - please don't besmirch him with association to this swamp scum!

redundantman
12-08-2010, 09:06 AM

I agree. The Steelers proved that they have resolve and are tough as hell. I don't know if we can overcome all of our injuries or not, but this team will fight tooth and nail until they are dragged off of the field. And hopefully, once and for all people can STFU about Ben being a drama queen. The dude is tough as nails. Despite his "shortcomings" I wouldn't take any other QB in the league over this guy.

Agreed. I don't mind Ben's tendency for theatrics. He reminds me of Terry Bradshaw in that respect. People like Ben will always bring an element of showmanship to their game and it makes them what they are ... as long as he has someone like Mike Wallace to hit in stride!

redundantman
12-08-2010, 09:07 AM

*bow*

redundantman
12-08-2010, 09:08 AM

Very nice Chach....subtle.

I missed it the first time around. Ray Lewis is the Kathie Lee Gifford of the NFL. We love to have him around to heap derision upon.

redundantman
12-08-2010, 09:13 AM

Pappy

Nicely put. Part of what makes the Steelers special to me is the camaraderie shared between my dad and my brother when I watch the games. And in games like yesterday it is deathly quiet ... until the Steelers finally break through. Then its all smiles and "witty" banter. Steeler victories are awesome ... but much better shared with others.

So for me, the game was interesting but a boring experience.

redundantman
12-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Chachi,

The Trib board was a good board.

redundantman
12-08-2010, 09:18 AM
• DLB hasn’t “slipped”.

L.B.

Thank you.

I believe the shift towards Timmons is less of a factor than having the old Smith-Hapmton-Keisel line. I would love to hear DLBs thoughts on his defensive scheme.

BURGH86STEEL
12-08-2010, 09:36 AM

Pappy

I agree the game was not boring. I enjoy offense or defensive battles.

Some fans label games as boring in a low scoring defensive battles. I believe the league enforced a few rules to enhance the scoring opportunities for those fans. Enforcement of passing rules, moving kickoffs back 5 yards, and protection of QB's are a few ways they attempted to improve scoring. Appears the league figured out that low scoring equals boring for some fans. High scoring equals more excitement, keeps more fans interested, and translates better on television.

Just something to think about when some fans complain that teams pass the ball all over the field.

Oviedo
12-08-2010, 10:14 AM
• DLB hasn’t “slipped”.

L.B.

Good points. I agree with making Timmons a more central feature in the "front seven" allowing Troy to free lance more. I also agree that despite the optimistic news coming out of the Southside the Aaron Smith era is over. Just too much wear and tear on his body. If you were making a totally unemotional decision would you count on him for next season?

feltdizz
12-08-2010, 10:33 AM

Pappy

Some fans label games as boring in a low scoring defensive battles. I believe the league enforced a few rules to enhance the scoring opportunities for those fans. Enforcement of passing rules, moving kickoffs back 5 yards, and protection of QB's are a few ways they attempted to improve scoring. Appears the league figured out that low scoring equals boring for some fans. High scoring equals more excitement, keeps more fans interested, and translates better on television.

Just something to think about when some fans complain that teams pass the ball all over the field.

The Pats Jets game was boring...

eniparadoxgma
12-08-2010, 05:13 PM

Pappy

:Agree :Agree :Agree

ALLD
12-08-2010, 05:32 PM
It will be a lot easier to watch the replay in the off-season a couple of years from now since we already know the outcome. It will be interesting to measure the league and see if we just watched the closing act of a once dominant sport.