PDA

View Full Version : I want the Pats

rpmpit
12-07-2010, 08:08 AM
I want them in the playoffs. Their defense is below average. We can move the ball on them and score. Just have to not be afraid to blitz Brady. I really think its that simple.

A few years ago in the playoffs, the Jags (I think it was the Jags) tried to not blitz him and he ripped them. Same with us a few weeks back. Get pressure on him and he becomes human.

msp26505
12-07-2010, 08:28 AM
I was thinking the same thing, but I hesitated to say anything because we would be getting WAY ahead of ourselves.

First we have to win the AFCN and wrap up a first round bye.

Then we have to get healthy (or as healthy as we can get).

Then we have to win the divisional round.

But then...

I want the Steelers to go to Foxboro. Play the rope-a-dope card. Say things like "we don't need to change our game plan...we just need to execute better", which is completely believable based on their past stubbornness.

But then...blitz Brady every play. Hit him early and often. Take a couple of REAL personal fouls on him (they're going to be called anyway, so we might as well make them count). Install a bunch of quick hitter passes, dink and dunk them all night, and only run when they don't expect it. (Sound familiar?)

And I want Ben to run a meaningless TD in after we have a three score lead and take a huge wind up and spike the ball in front of his adoring fans in Gillette.

:tt2

Mister Pittsburgh
12-07-2010, 08:37 AM
I think the key to beating the Pats is to pull Hampton, Hoke, Eason, off the field. Go in there with Hood-Keisel-hopefully Aaron Smith manning the NT position and swapping in and out of the game to stay fresh, with Woodley and Harrison out at DE.

You then need to get your fastest LB's on the outside with DB's playing inside.

The Pats kill you because they match small little speedy WR and RB up on your LB's and it is an automatic mismatch.

Chachi
12-07-2010, 08:42 AM
If you blitz him you better jam the receivers at the line too as we have all seen what happens when we blitz while our corners give 10 yard cushions.

msp26505
12-07-2010, 08:45 AM
If you blitz him you better jam the receivers at the line too as we have all seen what happens when we blitz while our corners give 10 yard cushions.

Definitely.

The Steelers need to pull a George Costanza. Everything they think to do at first...do the opposite.

Their game plans against the *'s simply don't work.

They should show everything they have always shown, then not do ANY of what they have done in their previous few meetings, at least against Brady.

flippy
12-07-2010, 08:49 AM
I want someone to beat the Pats for us.

Notleadpoisoned
12-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Here's how you beat the Pats.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc210/PatriotsNation4/Bradykneeinjury.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii319/itchannel/tombradykneeinjury.jpg

rpmpit
12-07-2010, 09:25 AM

Flip, don't take this the wrong way. Though I'm really not sure how anyone could take this the right way...

I just saw your post on who's going to beat the Pats for us. I think the type of fan who doesn't want to face the Pats are the type of guys who don't stand up for themselves, their families, their friends, etc. Having someone else fight your battles is no way to go through life.

Maybe I'll get my azz kicked. That's fine. But I'm not going to hide behind anyone.

rpmpit
12-07-2010, 09:26 AM
Here's how you beat the Pats.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc210/PatriotsNation4/Bradykneeinjury.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii319/itchannel/tombradykneeinjury.jpg

http://whall.org/blog/files/sweep-the-leg-large.jpg

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Oviedo
12-07-2010, 09:30 AM
The Pats use the type of offense that many here complain about: pass first and barely use the run.

As correctly pointed out you cannot give space and 10 yard cushions to their receivers because they will take the 5 yard dump pass and trust their WRs to get yards after the catch.

IMO no other team in the NFL uses the current NFL rules to their advantage as much as the Pats. They don't have any irrational emotional attachment to any particular type of football, e.g. run the ball more, other than winning. You may hate them but I give them a ton of respect.

Hopefully, we can learn something from that. Josh McDaniel is now available!!!!!!!

Leper Friend
12-07-2010, 10:03 AM

Flip, don't take this the wrong way. Though I'm really not sure how anyone could take this the right way...

I just saw your post on who's going to beat the Pats for us. I think the type of fan who doesn't want to face the Pats are the type of guys who don't stand up for themselves, their families, their friends, etc. Having someone else fight your battles is no way to go through life.

Maybe I'll get my azz kicked. That's fine. But I'm not going to hide behind anyone.
This whole post is absurd.You are attaching way too much personal stock in this. What happens on the field has nothing to do with you. Absolutely nothing. It's not "your battle" , it's the Steelers.Get over yourself.

Besides , I'll take whatever their best chance is at winning another super bowl . Playing the Pats isn't that.

rpmpit
12-07-2010, 10:07 AM

This whole post is absurd.You are attaching way too much personal stock in this. What happens on the field has nothing to do with you. Absolutely nothing. It's not "your battle" , it's the Steelers.Get over yourself.

Besides , I'll take whatever their best chance is at winning another super bowl . Playing the Pats isn't that.

Then isn't hoping someone else beats the Pats for us just as absurd?

We're called fan(atics) for a reason. Logic has very little to do with it. But ok, I'll get over myself because you told me to.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

rpmpit
12-07-2010, 10:16 AM

BTW, I see posts on here all the time that make no sense to me or that I completely disagree with. And most of the time, I just move on. I'm not so obnoxious to think anyone on here really gives 2 ****z about my opinion. So take you're own advice, friend.

flippy
12-07-2010, 10:26 AM

The SuperBowl is the prize. Who cares about the Pats?

I prefer pragmatism over ego.

And my life isn't a battle. Sorry to hear that yours is. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Djfan
12-07-2010, 10:27 AM

BTW, I see posts on here all the time that make no sense to me or that I completely disagree with. And most of the time, I just move on. I'm not so obnoxious to think anyone on here really gives 2 ****z about my opinion. So take you're own advice, friend.

Nice. Clearly RIG had one of the most arrogant posts of all time. You handled it well.

We need to start preping Timmons to shadow Welker like a virus. Get on him and never let him breathe.

rpmpit
12-07-2010, 10:29 AM

And another thing :lol: . I never said it was my battle. I said wanting someone to beat the Pats is LIKE having some fight your battles. Its called an analogy.

That is all. For now :lol:

flippy
12-07-2010, 10:32 AM
We need to start preping Timmons to shadow Welker like a virus. Get on him and never let him breathe.

Or we could just let BMac and Troy cover him.

oooops - note to self - no more mcribs for flippy.....

rpmpit
12-07-2010, 10:33 AM

The SuperBowl is the prize. Who cares about the Pats?

I prefer pragmatism over ego.

And my life isn't a battle. Sorry to hear that yours is. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Excellent point, flip. Superbowl is the goal (rhymes :D ) I do sometimes find myself putting too much emphasis on the Pats. I need to stop. Still, I'd love to be the team to knock them out.

And everyone's life is a battle of some sort. Some just have it harder than others. But thanks for the offer!

rpmpit
12-07-2010, 10:38 AM

Nice. Clearly RIG had one of the most arrogant posts of all time. You handled it well.

Thanks! Timmons on Welker would be a great scheme! Maybe switching off him and Troy while the other is coming on the blitz. Love to see that.

eniparadoxgma
12-07-2010, 10:48 AM
I agree man. I would love to knock them out of the AFCCG at Gillette on the way to ring #7.

I also find it a bit disturbing when people say they don't want to face certain teams. If we're not good enough to beat the best teams in the NFL then we don't deserve another ring IMO. If a team isn't on our schedule and gets beat by someone else then that's out of our hands. However, I would always prefer to get to knock our most hated rivals off on the way if we can. Bungles, Ratbirds, Stains, Cowgirls, and the *Cheaters...are teams I will always want to play in order to get a chance to beat them.

flippy
12-07-2010, 10:50 AM
And everyone's life is a battle of some sort. Some just have it harder than others. But thanks for the offer!

I used to view my life as a battle. I had the worst temper in the world growing up. I'd literally flip a switch and go off. I had zero patience and zero tolerance for anyone or anything.

And one day I realized it was all just silly. The thing that made me angry was people that didn't do the right thing. I held people to the standard I had for myself and no one ever lived up to my expectations.

The thing I realized is I can't change other people, only myself. And when I realized that, there was no one left to battle. And I've been high on life and mostly filled with optimism ever since.

Occassionally I eat a McRib and get off track, and hear what you're saying.

And I've also realized how hard life seems is perception. And our perception becomes reality. And the first step toward changing perception for me was becoming thankful.

I'm thankful for everything now. And it's changed everything for me.

Leper Friend
12-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Logic has very little to do with it.
Yeah. Wouldn't want to be logical about the situation.

rpmpit
12-07-2010, 10:51 AM
I agree man. I would love to knock them out of the AFCCG at Gillette on the way to ring #7.

I also find it a bit disturbing when people say they don't want to face certain teams. If we're not good enough to beat the best teams in the NFL then we don't deserve another ring IMO. If a team isn't on our schedule and gets beat by someone else then that's out of our hands. However, I would always prefer to get to knock our most hated rivals off on the way if we can. Bungles, Ratbirds, Stains, Cowgirls, and the *Cheaters...are teams I will always want to play in order to get a chance to beat them.

EXACTAMUNDO!!!!

http://blog.timesunion.com/eastgreenbush/files/2010/07/sbn-fonzie2.jpg

rpmpit
12-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Logic has very little to do with it.
Yeah. Wouldn't want to be logical about the situation.

So that's your thing? Taking one line out of someone's post, completely out of context, to prove your point. Sad.

BTW, I'm just about over myself. Thanks so much for the recommendation!!!

http://flatbrimsandchucks.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/laughing_and_pointing.jpg

rpmpit
12-07-2010, 11:00 AM

I used to view my life as a battle. I had the worst temper in the world growing up. I'd literally flip a switch and go off. I had zero patience and zero tolerance for anyone or anything.

And one day I realized it was all just silly. The thing that made me angry was people that didn't do the right thing. I held people to the standard I had for myself and no one ever lived up to my expectations.

The thing I realized is I can't change other people, only myself. And when I realized that, there was no one left to battle. And I've been high on life and mostly filled with optimism ever since.

Occassionally I eat a McRib and get off track, and hear what you're saying.

And I've also realized how hard life seems is perception. And our perception becomes reality. And the first step toward changing perception for me was becoming thankful.

I'm thankful for everything now. And it's changed everything for me.

Great post, flip. But its not just about anger or McRibs.

People living with illness, or family members with illness - which could be worse in some cases. Disabilities, debt, loss of job, etc. Was just saying that no matter what you're situation, its never always rainbows. That's all I was saying. Though I am happy for your change. Being thankful for what you have is a great first step!

papillon
12-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Personally, I'd like to see a rematch to see if the Steelers can make some adjustments and beat the Patriots. Not playing them and winning the Super Bowl will only have people squawking that the Steelers won the Super Bowl, but didn't have to play the best teams.

I'm certain the players want another shot at the Patriots as well.

Pappy

rpmpit
12-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Personally, I'd like to see a rematch to see if the Steelers can make some adjustments and beat the Patriots. Not playing them and winning the Super Bowl will only have people squawking that the Steelers won the Super Bowl, but didn't have to play the best teams.

Pappy

Another EXACTAMUNDO!!!

(Just look up a few posts to see Fonzie pic. Thanks!)

Oviedo
12-07-2010, 11:13 AM

Pappy

I don't want to play them again until the AFC Champ game which is why going at least 3-1 is essential. Right now I really think they have broken the code on offense. I'm really not sure we have the personnel to make the adjustments necessary.

rpmpit
12-07-2010, 11:20 AM

Pappy

I don't want to play them again until the AFC Champ game which is why going at least 3-1 is essential. Right now I really think they have broken the code on offense. I'm really not sure we have the personnel to make the adjustments necessary.

O, can you explain what you mean by "broken the code on offense." Thanks.

ikestops85
12-07-2010, 11:20 AM

Thanks! Timmons on Welker would be a great scheme! Maybe switching off him and Troy while the other is coming on the blitz. Love to see that.

I have to disagree on that scheme. I think we put Jimmy Hate on Welker so he can beat the hell out of him ... within 5 yards of course. Once he wears Welker out we put him on Branch. Rinse. Repeat. :twisted:

rpmpit
12-07-2010, 11:36 AM

I have to disagree on that scheme. I think we put Jimmy Hate on Welker so he can beat the hell out of him ... within 5 yards of course. Once he wears Welker out we put him on Branch. Rinse. Repeat. :twisted:

I like you... :twisted:

Oviedo
12-07-2010, 11:56 AM

Pappy

They understand the rules as written and adapted their post_Randy Moss offense to maximize their efficiency. They know that DBs can't touch the WRs so they are using quick timing patterns to get the ball out quickly to quick receivers who can make defenders miss. Essentially trusting their receivers to make something happen.

I think they have looked at their primary threats in the AFC (Piitsburgh, Jets and Ravens) and have designed their offense to force those defenses away from their strengths. The short passes they are employing forces those defense to get pass rush LBs to back off into coverage against much faster, and maybe more importantly, much quicker receivers. This nulifies the primary strength of especially the Steelers and Ravens...the pass rush. This gives Brady time which creates momentum that we saw first hand against both us and last night against the Jets. They get the defenses back on their heels early until they essentially start to wear down the defense. The pass game can wear out a defense just as effectively as a running game. IMO maybe more.

Hope that helps.

rpmpit
12-07-2010, 12:00 PM

Pappy

They understand the rules as written and adapted their post_Randy Moss defense to maximize their efficiency. They know that DBs can't touch the WRs so they are using quick timing patterns to get the ball out quickly to quick receivers who can make defenders miss. Essentially trusting their receivers to make something happen.

I think they have looked at their primary threats in the AFC (Piitsburgh, Jets and Ravens) and have designed their offense to force those defenses away from their strengths. The short passes they are employing forces those defense to get pass rush LBs to back off into coverage against much faster, and maybe more importantly, much quicker receivers. This nulifies the primary strength of especially the Steelers and Ravens...the pass rush. This gives Brady time which creates momentum that we saw first hand against both us and last night against the Jets. They get the defenses back on their heels early until they essentially start to wear doen the defense. The pass game can wear out a defense just as effectively as a running game. IMO maybe more.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. And yes, it does!

Leper Friend
12-07-2010, 12:06 PM

Pappy

They understand the rules as written and adapted their post_Randy Moss defense to maximize their efficiency. They know that DBs can't touch the WRs so they are using quick timing patterns to get the ball out quickly to quick receivers who can make defenders miss. Essentially trusting their receivers to make something happen.

I think they have looked at their primary threats in the AFC (Piitsburgh, Jets and Ravens) and have designed their offense to force those defenses away from their strengths. The short passes they are employing forces those defense to get pass rush LBs to back off into coverage against much faster, and maybe more importantly, much quicker receivers. This nulifies the primary strength of especially the Steelers and Ravens...the pass rush. This gives Brady time which creates momentum that we saw first hand against both us and last night against the Jets. They get the defenses back on their heels early until they essentially start to wear doen the defense. The pass game can wear out a defense just as effectively as a running game. IMO maybe more.

Hope that helps.
It's the blueprint for attacking this defense and they've mastered it.History has shown Lebeau either is unable or unwillling to adjust.

Maybe our corners just simply can't play bump coverage but imo that's the way to slow them down.Disrupt the timing of the short throws and make Brady go to his second or third read. If you can do that and bring pressure , Brady becomes pedestrian. We've seen time and time again , however , that the Steelers for some reason , are content to leave the corners 7 -10 yards off and concede the underneath throws.

Oviedo
12-07-2010, 12:14 PM

Pappy

Hope that helps.
It's the blueprint for attacking this defense and they've mastered it.History has shown Lebeau either is unable or unwillling to adjust.

Maybe our corners just simply can't play bump coverage but imo that's the way to slow them down.Disrupt the timing of the short throws and make Brady go to his second or third read. If you can do that and bring pressure , Brady becomes pedestrian. We've seen time and time again , however , that the Steelers for some reason , are content to leave the corners 7 -10 yards off and concede the underneath throws.

Here is a radical notion. How about a hybrid defense where Hood moves between being up and down. Hood was a pentrating pass rusher coming into the NFL and we have turned him into a hold in place DL to fit the 3-4. I think moving him along the line of scrimmage to different ends of the line would be confusing.

IMO I would weaken our run defense to get the Pats away from the pass. One thing I would never do is what LeBeau has been doing the past couple of weeks taking Timmons off the field to add Madison as another DB.

Leper Friend
12-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Here is a radical notion. How about a hybrid defense where Hood moves between being up and down. Hood was a pentrating pass rusher coming into the NFL and we have turned him into a hold in place DL to fit the 3-4. I think moving him along the line of scrimmage to different ends of the line would be confusing.

IMO I would weaken our run defense to get the Pats away from the pass. One thing I would never do is what LeBeau has been doing the past couple of weeks taking Timmons off the field to add Madison as another DB.
I agree completely. I don't understand taking out Timmons ever , really. And if so , why Madison? He's a good ST player but awful cover corner. I would go Lewis over him.Or even an extra safety.I never see Will Allen in any packages.

NW Steeler
12-07-2010, 02:19 PM

Pappy

I agree 100%. The Pats and Brady are the proverbial demon to the the Steelers. The monkey on our backs. WE HAVE to beat them in the playoffs, or people will always say that we could not beat them. To this point we haven't proven that we can beat them when it counts. I want to beat them on their field in the AFCC. Can we do it? I know one thing, I am tired of my friends crowing about how the Steelers are Brady's b!tch every time they lay it to us. I hope we do play them in the playoffs. As others have said in this thread, if we cant beat them, we don't deserve to be in the SB.

fordfixer
12-07-2010, 04:59 PM

Or we could just let BMac and Troy cover him.

oooops - note to self - no more mcribs for flippy.....

How about we send a truck load of McRibs to the *'s the day before we play them next? :lol:

Leper Friend
12-07-2010, 05:33 PM

Pappy

I agree 100%. The Pats and Brady are the proverbial demon to the the Steelers. The monkey on our backs. WE HAVE to beat them in the playoffs, or people will always say that we could not beat them. To this point we haven't proven that we can beat them when it counts. I want to beat them on their field in the AFCC. Can we do it? I know one thing, I am tired of my friends crowing about how the Steelers are Brady's b!tch every time they lay it to us. I hope we do play them in the playoffs. As others have said in this thread, if we cant beat them, we don't deserve to be in the SB.
Who cares what other people say ? Honestly , why do you care ? Look back at history. Alot of Super Bowl teams have had alot of things fall exactly the way they needed it to in order to get there.Not every team takes the hardest path to get there and guess what ? It doesn't matter.

Take 2008. We only beat the Pats because there was no Brady. Does that make the Super Bowl less satisfying for anyone ? The Eagles whipped us that year . We didn't avenge that loss and guess what. They were still champs.

Nobody but a few whiny homers look back and downplay another team wiinng it all. So who cares? It doesn't make the Super Bowl less meaningful.The path of least resistance will do the trick. Not trying to prove to some faceless , jealous fan who thinks they didn't "deservr" a Super bowl.

NW Steeler
12-07-2010, 05:39 PM

Pappy

Who cares what other people say ? Honestly , why do you care ? Look back at history. Alot of Super Bowl teams have had alot of things fall exactly the way they needed it to in order to get there.Not every team takes the hardest path to get there and guess what ? It doesn't matter.

Take 2008. We only beat the Pats because there was no Brady. Does that make the Super Bowl less satisfying for anyone ? The Eagles whipped us that year . We didn't avenge that loss and guess what. They were still champs.

Nobody but a few whiny homers look back and downplay another team wiinng it all. So who cares? It doesn't make the Super Bowl less meaningful.The path of least resistance will do the trick. Not trying to prove to some faceless , jealous fan who thinks they didn't "deservr" a Super bowl.

You are right, I don't care who we beat in the playoffs if we win the SB. Maybe I just WANT to beat them in the playoffs. I want us to beat them in a BAD way.

Leper Friend
12-07-2010, 05:56 PM
[quote=papillon]Personally, I'd like to see a rematch to see if the Steelers can make some adjustments and beat the Patriots. Not playing them and winning the Super Bowl will only have people squawking that the Steelers won the Super Bowl, but didn't have to play the best teams.

Pappy

You are right, I don't care who we beat in the playoffs if we win the SB. Maybe I just WANT to beat them in the playoffs. I want us to beat them in a BAD way.[/quote:2b1q56b7]
Frankly , there would be nothing more satisfying than knocking the Pats out.But Brady and Belichick have our number. They just do.I hate it too but I want the Super Bowl anyway they an win it.

Steelerphile
12-07-2010, 06:31 PM
If it gets down to Pats and the Steelers, which it may, the Steelers have to throw something different into mix on the defense. They have to go to school on the Steelers game with the Pats, the Cleveland game, the Jets game and really gameplan.

I actually have faith in both Tomlin and LeBeau in this circumstance. I think they are both smart and courageous coaches and will be innovative. The regular season game is one thing, but if they play the Pats in the playoffs, the think tank will be working overtime.

And if someone doesn't think the Steelers have the personnel to get the job done, then I think differently. I do want to see Worilds included for the Pats. He is a speed rusher and pressuring Brady is important but fast pressure is really important. Brady is so good and adaptable, that given a second and a small window he still completes the pass. So you have to move upfield on him quickly and even if Worilds doesn't quite get there he can make him throw just a little before he wants to or be a distraction in his peripheral vision.

Keep in mind, players such as Welker, Branch, Woodhead and Gronkowski are all talented but on other teams, they are just pretty good or not even that. Brady makes them special. So the Steelers have to get to Brady, but it has to be quick.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Every team we have left on the regular season schedule has been playing some pretty solid football. Maybe not every game but they have all beaten some decent teams. (This doesn't include Carolina lol). I just want to see some guys get healthy, or at least healthier than now, over the next 4 weeks and see how we look then.

Lebeau has no clue how to defeat the Patriots. I recall sitting in section 529 in below zero temps wondering why in the heck Willie Williams was lined up 12 yards off the line of scrimmage as Tom Brady threw darts to the WR over and over and over and over. Lebeau just has no answer.