PDA

View Full Version : Maybe now Rex Ryan will keep his mouth shut for a while

hawaiiansteel
12-07-2010, 02:56 AM
I am personally looking forward to the Jets game, we are going to kick their arses...

MONDAY, DECEMBER 06, 2010

Ouch
Maybe now Rex Ryan will keep his mouth shut for a while.

As I sit here, the Patriots just went ahead of the Jets, 45-3, in what was supposed to be the "Game of the Year," a term that seems to get thrown around every two weeks or so.

Ryan spent all of the offseason tweaking Patriots every chance he got. He was emboldened when the Jets beat the Pats, 28-14, early in the season.

But the Patriots are $&@$stomping the Jets tonight.

The fact is this, the Jets are a fraud. Mark Sanchez might be the most overrated quarterback in the NFL. He still doesn't read defenses well and constantly forces passes into places they should not go.

If you get ahead of New York and take the Jets running game out of the equation, they're in trouble.

And as we saw in this game, the defense is a bit overrated as well.

Realistically, the Patriots are the top team in the league right now with the Steelers and Ravens right behind them.

And even those three teams have flaws that could be fatal in the postseason.

But when your flaw is your quarterback, that's a pretty big one to overcome.

posted by Dale Lolley @ 11:14 PM

Post-Baltimore thoughts II

Just some quick thoughts here before I get off to bed following a bumpy flight back into Pittsburgh:

I loved Bruce Arians' adjustment to a pony offense in an effort to take some of the pressure off Ben Roethlisberger's injured right foot. In fact, I wouldn't be at all against the Steelers continuing to use that look moving forward, even after the foot is healed.

And obviously, I didn't give anything away to the Ravens by mentioning that the Steelers might have something up their sleeve.

© Sunday night's game is the biggest example of why there is so much confusion surrounding the NFL's crackdown on helmet-to-helmet hits and hits on the quarterback.

It's shameful that those calls were missed.

© Great call by D!ck LeBeau to send Troy Polamalu on a blitz.

The Steelers had gotten burned blitzing Polamalu earlier in the game when Ray Rice did a nice job of picking him up, leaving Ryan Clark one-on-one with Anquan Boldin, a play that turned into a 61-yard gain for Boldin.

Nobody picked up Polamalu this time around and it changed the Steelers' fate.

© Joe Flacco just doesn't handle pressure well and it's the one thing that is keeping him from being considered among the upper echelon of quarterbacks.

When he's pressured, he panics.

Ben Roethlisberger is just the opposite. He thrives in those situations.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

Crash
12-07-2010, 05:37 AM
I like the pistol formation with Ben, but with multiple TEs on the field its pointless.

Use the formation by being unpredictable, motion, receivers moving, a pitch to Mendy so he can go wide wouldn't hurt either.

SidSmythe
12-07-2010, 07:27 AM
The Jets luck ran out last night.
I have never seen anyone so sure they will win the Superbowl as Rex Ryan, since Jimmy Johnson and his Miami Dolphin days. Both crowned themselves in the preseason.

Rex knew he had some star players, but since when is that the recipe for a Championship??? Mr. Ryan, u still have to play 16 games and the playoffs.

papillon
12-07-2010, 07:47 AM
He won't shut up, you do know who his father is, correct? Even though this outcome didn't help the Steelers in any fashion I have to admit once it was obvious that the Pats were going to stomp them it was fun to watch.

Pappy

rpmpit
12-07-2010, 08:05 AM
I don't dislike Rex. I like his attituded. He just needs to learn how to coach.

He borrowed from Lambert last night when he said he'd go out right now (after game press conference) and play them again. Something like that.

DukieBoy
12-07-2010, 08:24 AM
(Evil) genius offensive game planning put Revis in exile on his own island (what effect did Revis have on this gamd?), and exploited the Jests defense every weakness - except the ones that the Cheats* are holding back in case they face the Jests again in the playoffs.

Watch and Learn something, BA.

NorthCoast
12-07-2010, 08:37 AM
The fact is Tom Brady can make even the best defense look silly sometimes, look what he did to the Steelers. His short game is killing teams right now. He never really needed the bomb to Moss. The scary thing, they are young again thanks to moronic teams that give them multiple picks in every draft for past-their-prime players.

Oviedo
12-07-2010, 09:52 AM
Ryan needs to keep running his mouth for the next two weeks. I really want to beat these guys and secure the #2 seed.

rpmpit
12-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Ryan needs to keep running his mouth for the next two weeks. I really want to beat these guys and secure the #2 seed.

Even if the Jets would have won last night, I wasn't overly concerned about them. And with the remaining schedules (Pats have Chicago, Green Bay, Buffalo and Miami. Jets have Miami, us, Chicago and Buffalo) I think we actually have a great shot at the #1 seed.

aggiebones
12-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Yes Rex said he would go right back out and play again...but would his team? They wanted out of there.

People have been saying all along that Rex is writing checks his players can't cash. When it is going well that's great and builds false confidence, BUT when you get humbled, it strips ALL of your confidence away. I'd say the Jets are all but done mentally after that one. If they Steelers repeat that in some way, the Jets will be ruined for years.

RuthlessBurgher
12-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Maybe now Rex Ryan will keep his mouth shut for a while?

Doubtful. It's lunch time. The big fella needs to eat.

http://katchop.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/rex-celebrates-copy.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
12-07-2010, 02:19 PM
The fact is Tom Brady can make even the best defense look silly sometimes, look what he did to the Steelers. His short game is killing teams right now. He never really needed the bomb to Moss. The scary thing, they are young again thanks to moronic teams that give them multiple picks in every draft for past-their-prime players.

It's bad enough that the Cheetahs have Oakland's first round pick in addition to their own this coming April, but they also own Carolina's 2nd round pick as well (which they gave up in order to pick QB-to-WR conversion project Armenti Edwards in the 3rd round last year...when will these stupid teams learn?).

Since the Panthers are bottom of the barrel in the league, that means New England will control the coveted 33rd pick in the draft. Since the first round takes place on Thursday again, teams will have all night to make blockbuster offers to Belichick to get a guy they fell in love with who surprisingly fell out of the first round.

tiproast
12-08-2010, 02:22 AM
It's bad enough that the Cheetahs have Oakland's first round pick in addition to their own this coming April, but they also own Carolina's 2nd round pick as well (which they gave up in order to pick QB-to-WR conversion project Armenti Edwards in the 3rd round last year...when will these stupid teams learn?).

Since the Panthers are bottom of the barrel in the league, that means New England will control the coveted 33rd pick in the draft. Since the first round takes place on Thursday again, teams will have all night to make blockbuster offers to Belichick to get a guy they fell in love with who surprisingly fell out of the first round.
I am in complete agreement with your thorough analysis, and wish to subscribe to your newsletter. :D

NJ-STEELER
12-08-2010, 02:26 AM
its like both the steelers and jets defenses need what the other excels in to stop the pats.

the jets could use the pressure we can generate from our OLBs so they wouldn't have to sell out to get pressure on brady

and we can use the coverage ability of revis and cromartie(most times) in order to blitz more guys without leaving our secondary vulnerable

LordVile
12-08-2010, 02:44 AM
Maybe now Rex Ryan will keep his mouth shut for a while?

Doubtful. It's lunch time. The big fella needs to eat.

http://katchop.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/rex-celebrates-copy.jpg

U beat me to the punch, Ruthless.. nice pix I'm gettin' hungry :tt1

hawaiiansteel
12-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Updated: December 8, 2010, 4:39 PM ET

Jets bury ball, put Patriots game to bed

By Rich Cimini
ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The New York Jets have buried Monday night's game -- literally.

Jets coach Rex Ryan brought his team outside before Wednesday's team meeting and placed a ball from the 45-3 loss to the New England Patriots into an awaiting hole next to the practice field.

"We were shocked," cornerback Darrelle Revis said. "Nobody was saying anything."

Several players said they never had seen anything like that before from a coach, but they said Ryan's unorthodox ball-burying stunt hammered home the point as the Jets began preparation for Sunday's home game against the Miami Dolphins.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/ ... id=5899769 (http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5899769)

tiproast
12-09-2010, 12:17 AM
Updated: December 8, 2010, 4:39 PM ET

Jets bury ball, put Patriots game to bed

By Rich Cimini
ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The New York Jets have buried Monday night's game -- literally.

Jets coach Rex Ryan brought his team outside before Wednesday's team meeting and placed a ball from the 45-3 loss to the New England Patriots into an awaiting hole next to the practice field.

"We were shocked," cornerback Darrelle Revis said. "Nobody was saying anything."

Several players said they never had seen anything like that before from a coach, but they said Ryan's unorthodox ball-burying stunt hammered home the point as the Jets began preparation for Sunday's home game against the Miami Dolphins.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/ ... id=5899769 (http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5899769)
What Rex didn't tell the players was that the ball was filled with kim chee.

He's going to come back in a year, dig up the ball, and eat it.

BATMAN
12-09-2010, 12:29 AM
Rex should know better than to promise victories and in just general, run his mouthI still laugh in his interview after the Jets / Cheats game he claimed, he was ready to play them again, that moment.
My question to that is why ? What would he could he do different after 15 minutes from just having their butts kicked on national TV ?

hawaiiansteel
12-12-2010, 09:46 PM
the Jets are coming into the 'Burgh off of two straight losses, wonder if Rex Ryan will be quiet and humble now?

Jets Don't Bounce Back

Associated Press

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Six days after getting flattened, the New York Jets were just plain flat.

The Miami Dolphins weren't much better but kept their playoff hopes alive by turning two early turnovers into their only points in a 10-6 victory at a soggy New Meadowlands Stadium on Sunday.

The Jets (9-4) were coming off an embarrassing 45-3 loss at New England on Monday night, and coach Rex Ryan even buried a game ball in front of his team before practice to try to put that defeat behind them.

This one might leave an even more bitter taste in their mouths.

Much of the game was played in a downpour, which made for inept offense in the sloppy conditions. The Dolphins gained 132 yards, with Chad Henne passing for only 55, yet improved to 7-6.

Miami seemed to be the more inspired team after coming up to the New York area a day earlier than usual, practicing in the Giants' facility over the weekend and even taking in a showing of "Lombardi" on Broadway.

The Jets moved the ball better, picking up 286 yards. But Mark Sanchez's fumble led to the only touchdown, Brandon Marshall's 6-yard reception in the first quarter.
Earlier, Nolan Carroll's interception set up Dan Carpenter's 47-yard field goal.

By far the most effective player on the wet field was Dolphins punter Brandon Fields. He finished with 10 kicks for a 50-yard average.

Nick Folk hit field goals of 35 and 42 yards for New York, which has lost two straight and faces tough road games at Pittsburgh and Chicago. For a team that has Super Bowl aspirations, the Jets are now two games behind the Patriots (11-2) in the AFC East.

The Jets won the coin toss and chose to receive rather than defer for the first time in Rex Ryan's tenure. The defensive-minded coach said he would do that to let the offense get off to a faster start than it had the last several weeks. Instead, New York went three-and-out, and Sanchez was nearly intercepted by Sean Smith on third down.

The Jets started their second offensive series with a big mistake by Ben Hartsock, who was called for a personal foul for grabbing a facemask, making it first-and-25. Three plays later, Sanchez forced a pass to Santonio Holmes that Carroll easily picked off.
Miami took advantage, getting the 47-yarder from Carpenter to take a 3-0 lead midway through the opening quarter.

New York turned it over again on its next possession when Kendall Langford sacked Sanchez and forced the ball out, and Quentin Moses recovered at the Jets 26. Miami again capitalized as Henne found Marshall from 6 yards out between Bart Scott and Eric Smith in the end zone, giving the Dolphins a 10-0 lead with 2:48 left in the first quarter.

The Jets got the ball at the Dolphins 38 after a fumble in the second quarter, but in a play that summarized the day for New York, Holmes dropped a perfectly thrown pass while he was wide open in the left corner of the end zone on third down. New York settled for a 35-yarder by Folk to make it 10-3.

After the Jets started another drive in Miami territory following a fumble in the third quarter, New York went three-and-out to a chorus of boos from the rain-soaked crowd.
Folk's 42-yard field goal made it 10-6 with 5:21 remaining. But that was it for New York as the offense couldn't do anything more, with the game sealed on a Dolphins sack on fourth-and-15 in the closing minute.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=301212020

Crash
12-12-2010, 09:53 PM
The Sanchize cost them that game. He had guys open all day, and missed them.

hawaiiansteel
12-12-2010, 10:36 PM
did you guys see this yet? :wft

Jets strength coach Sal Alosi identified in tripping of Nolan Carroll

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 12, 2010

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/jetstrip1.jpg?w=250

The person on the Jets sideline who tripped Miami’s Nolan Carroll during today’s game has been identified as Jets strength and conditioning coach Sal Alosi, a 33-year-old former Hofstra linebacker who is in his ninth year as an NFL strength coach.

The Jets confirmed that Alosi was the man dressed in green who committed the dirty cheap shot as Carroll was running down the Jets’ sideline on a punt. And Dolphins players are calling on NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to come down hard on Alosi.

“That is so dirty,” Dolphins linebacker Karlos Dansby told the Sun-Sentinel. ”Come on man. That’s dirty! It all trickles down hill. Their head coach [Rex Ryan] opened a can of worms over there, and now he’s got to fix it.”

Dansby was one of multiple Dolphins who said discipline is in order.

“They are going to handle it,” Dansby said. “I believe in Goodell! Goodell, come on man.”

Dolphins head coach Tony Sparano said the assistant coaches in the Dolphins’ booth saw the trip and were furious about it. Unfortunately, the officials missed it.

The Jets, however, were slow to admit Alosi’s responsibility. Greg Bishop of the New York Times reports that the team was at first pretending it didn’t happen. And Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post reports that security ushered Alosi away before reporters could ask him why he tripped Carroll.

But now that the Jets have admitted Alosi was the guilty party in one of the cheapest cheap shots we’ve seen in an NFL game, Goodell needs to make sure Alosi pays a heavy price for his action.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... n-carroll/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/12/jets-strength-coach-sal-alosi-identified-in-tripping-of-nolan-carroll/)

focosteeler
12-12-2010, 11:14 PM
dont play keenan against them...with all the running out of bounds he does they might get him with a bat

hawaiiansteel
12-12-2010, 11:25 PM
The Sanchize cost them that game. He had guys open all day, and missed them.

Rex Ryan almost benched Mark Sanchez

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 12, 2010

Rex Ryan said after Sunday’s disappointing loss that Mark Sanchez was hardly the Jets’ only problem. (That’s true.)

Then again, Ryan said he almost benched Sanchez for 40-year-old quarterback Mark Brunell. As our buddy Bob Glauber points out, Sanchez has thrown eight touchdowns with eleven interceptions in the last seven games. He also fumbled four times Sunday, and has nine fumbles for the season.

“I considered it, but when you look at it, I think he gives us the best chance to win,” Ryan said. “I thought about it and I was like, ‘Nah, it’s not the kid’s fault.’ He’s not the only one to blame here. If I thought that was the case, I would’ve yanked him.”

Sanchez is a second year quarterback that left school as an underclassmen, so it’s not a shock he’s hitting some bumps in the road. The Jets need to come up with some answers fast with Pittsburgh and Chicago coming up next on the schedule.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... k-sanchez/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/12/rex-ryan-almost-benched-mark-sanchez/)

Starlifter
12-12-2010, 11:58 PM
call me crazy, but I really didn't get worked up when I saw the trip. the jets guy WAS out of bounds and behind the white line. there is a field of play where the players are protected. run into a crowd out of bounds and I dunno, $hit happens. I think it's a cheap shot and stupid, but it was not on the field. leave the guy alone. next year when the fins play the jets again, they'll probably run a sweep towards this guy and he'll get some payback........

NJ-STEELER
12-13-2010, 12:15 AM
i'll bet the coach claims he buckled when he saw the player come his way and thats why his knee came out.

as dansby alluded to, i'm not surprised it came out of a rex ryan camp, he's a dirty POS

hawaiiansteel
12-20-2010, 02:04 AM
Ryan rejuvenates slumping Jets with out-of-character method

By Pete Prisco
CBSSports.com Senior Writer
Dec. 19, 2010

PITTSBURGH -- The brash, in-your-face, we-are-it attitude is why the New York Jets are who they are.

It's also why when things go bad -- as they did for much of the past two weeks -- they are a team that takes more abuse than coach Rex Ryan does when filling up his plate at a buffet table.

Ryan has instilled that arrogant attitude in his team, but when the Jets lost two consecutive division games, they seemed deflated. The season that began with so much hope was seemingly spiraling out of control, much to the delight of those who take exception with Ryan's brazen ways.

With that as a backdrop, Ryan met with his team Saturday night and gave them what players said was as powerful a speech as he's given in his time with the team, one that helped them snap that two-game losing streak with an impressive 22-17 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers Sunday at Heinz Field.

How powerful was the speech? Let's put it this way: This one didn't feature his normal verbal diarrhea of words that would make George Carlin cringe. Instead, the supposed tough-guy Ryan, whose off-field fights during his time becoming an adult are well documented, actually welled up.

Rex Ryan cried? That seems about as believable as Ryan doing a Speedo ad.

"I don't think I saw a tear drop on his face," running back LaDainian Tomlinson said. "But his eyes definitely watered up. He was emotional. Anytime your coach shows that kind of [empathy] and passion, you can't help but feel like you have to get the job done, not only for yourself but for him. It's not easy to show that kind of [empathy]."

Somehow it's hard to imagine Ryan letting out his softer side, but the Jets players all insisted it was there, his tough-guy layer peeled back to reveal more than just his usual chest pumping.

That's what two humbling losses can do to a coach -- and a team. Of course, only moments after the Jets won Sunday when Ben Roethlisberger's throw into the end zone on the final play fell incomplete, Ryan was back to his usual ways. Asked about the playoffs, Ryan made another bold declaration, which he's become famous for doing.

"We're going to make it one way or another," Ryan said.

Most coaches would say they hoped to get there. Ryan says it will happen. You have to love that about the guy. But doesn't that put more pressure on the players to back him up?

"That's Rex," Jets guard Brandon Moore said. "He believes that. I believe that. That's just him. We can't fall into the trap that we're going to the playoffs, but that's him. He can say it."

Tomlinson, in his first year with the team, backed his coach up.

"Oh, we're going to make the playoffs," he said. "We will make the playoffs."

There's that Jets bravado that's been in hiding for the past two weeks.

At 10-4, the Jets are sitting in good position. If they win one of their next two -- either next Sunday at Chicago or the final week against the Bills -- they will make the playoffs as a wild-card team. Even if they lose both, they still have a shot.

That's why this victory over the Steelers was so important. A three-game losing streak heading to Chicago next week could have been too much to overcome.

The Jets won this game getting outgained in yards 378 to 276 by the Steelers and with a quarterback in Mark Sanchez who threw for 170. But Sanchez scored a touchdown on 7-yard run on a fourth-and-1 play and also did a nice job managing the game.

That touchdown, which came in the third quarter, was the first offensive touchdown for the Jets in over 10 quarters.

"We got in the end zone today?" joked Jets receiver Braylon Edwards. "We'll take that and hopefully build from it."

There had been a lot of whispering about this team. Not only were they having trouble scoring, but there were also more doubts about Sanchez. In addition, they had "Sideline-Gate" to deal with all week, the sideline knee by coach Sal Alosi to the Dolphins' Nolan Carroll that went viral.

Oh, and they had to travel to play the Steelers, one of the NFL's best teams. It didn't hurt that Brad Smith opened the game with a 97-yard kickoff return for a touchdown to give the Jets a 7-0 lead. It also didn't hurt that Jason Taylor dropped Mewelde Moore for a safety with 2:38 left, taking away the chance for the Steelers to tie the game with a field goal.

Even with that play, Roethlisberger got another chance. Taking over at his own 8 with 2:08, he needed to drive the Steelers 92 yards for a touchdown with just one timeout and the two-minute warning. He nearly pulled it off. He got the Steelers to the Jets' 10 with nine seconds left. But he threw two incomplete passes, the last one sending the Jets players wildly dancing on the sidelines.

New York dropped eight on the final play, and Roethlisberger never found an open receiver. That coverage is far different from the usually aggressive style the Jets employ.

"Your heart is telling you to send everybody, but your head is telling you to do something else," Ryan said. "We played that coverage everybody loves to play, where you drop everybody, but it was the right call."

The victory speaks volumes about the Jets' toughness. It was what good teams do, which is to find a way in December to prevail in must-win types of games.

"One thing we talk about is how resilient our football team is," Ryan said. "You guys get tired of it, and I don't care. We had some adversity we were dealing with, but we dealt with it."

Tomlinson said there might be a reason for that resiliency.

"That's when this team plays the best, when its back is up against the wall and everybody is counting us out," Tomlinson said.

They were being counted out all right. Two consecutive losses inside their division, including a blowout loss in their showcase game with New England, coupled with below-average play by Sanchez, had many counting them out.

With a coach like Ryan, who makes news conferences fun again, it's only natural that the heat would come if things don't work out, just like they did all of last week.

"I think that's part of it, that bulls-eye being on our back," Tomlinson said. "That's a part of being on this team, who we are."

Who they are is tough-guy team that has the same personality of their coach, never backing down from a fight.

Shush. Don't tell anyone about the pregame speech, or it might sully that reputation. Rex Ryan had watery eyes? What's next? He's actually Santa Claus?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1446 ... ter-method (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14465453/ryan-rejuvenates-slumping-jets-with-outofcharacter-method)