PDA

View Full Version : Top 30 Free agents for 2011!!

Dee Dub
12-06-2010, 11:22 PM
Four-year club number 6. :wink:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=j ... ents111810 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-freeagents111810)

Shawn
12-06-2010, 11:29 PM
I would like to grab Steve Smith from that list. And we HAVE to sign Taylor.

Dee Dub
12-06-2010, 11:33 PM

Smith is good but why not get great in Sidney Rice?? He would be a much better compliment to Wallace, Sanders, and Brown.

Shawn
12-07-2010, 12:00 AM

Smith is good but why not get great in Sidney Rice?? He would be a much better compliment to Wallace, Sanders, and Brown.

I know why you like Rice. He certainly has big play potential. I like you salivate over the thought of having two WRs to take the lid off the coverage. Who do you cover?

With that said, Rice could be a one season wonder. His best season besides last year was 31 catches. He could be a flash in the pan. The body of work isn't there and I'm yet to be convinced.

With Smith, you know what you are getting. You are getting a guy to replace Ward...and will do so effectively especially with Ben passing him the ball. He moves chains and makes tough catches. He has a body of work that makes me sleep better with my choice. I like the contrast with Wallace and Smith. You have a guy to take the lid off and the other to move chains and do the grunt work.

That is just my take.

NJ-STEELER
12-07-2010, 12:48 AM
some others on that list that we could probably afford more

mankins OG
Joseph OG

CB joseph would be expensive but wonder but S mikell will get

if max cant come back...matt light would fit in nicely and POZ would be a nice replacement for farrior

hawaiiansteel
12-07-2010, 12:49 AM
dream on boys...

the Steelers Way will have us concentrating on the draft and re-signing our own free agents such as Ike Taylor, LaMarr Woodley, Willie Gay, Chris Hoke, Willie Colon and the year after Troy Polamalu and Lawrence Timmons.

we aren't going to be signing any FA from another team to a huge contract.

sure would love TE Marcedes Lewis from the Jaguars, though... :D

steelerkeylargo
12-07-2010, 12:52 AM
dream on boys...

the Steelers Way will have us concentrating on the draft and re-signing our own free agents such as Ike Taylor, LaMarr Woodley, Willie Gay, Chris Hoke, Willie Colon and the year after Troy Polamalu and Lawrence Timmons.

we aren't going to be signing any FA from another team to a huge contract.

sure would love TE Marcedes Lewis from the Jaguars, though... :D

Thank god someone who knows reality!! Anyone who thinks we are making splash FA moves is delusional.

tiproast
12-07-2010, 01:28 AM
Mankins would be a great fit for you guys.

Dominating pro bowl player with a mean streak.

hawaiiansteel
12-07-2010, 01:36 AM

so what exactly happened with Mankins and the Patriots? was it all about the money?

tiproast
12-07-2010, 01:42 AM

so what exactly happened with Mankins and the Patriots? was it all about the money?
It was about money. A deal was worked out early, but the story is that the Patriots wanted an apology from Mankins for some derogatory remarks he made about Kraft while negotiations were in progress. Mankins refused, and didn't report until it was close to the time he needed to get onboard in order to get credit for a full season.

The current thinking is that although he's a good player, he's not irreplaceable, and that the Patriots won't franchise him and won't offer him a contract near what some others teams will pay.

Oviedo
12-07-2010, 10:00 AM

mankins OG
Joseph OG

if max cant come back...matt light would fit in nicely and POZ would be a nice replacement for farrior

Mankins is looking for ridiculous Faneca type money. No way he comes to Pittsburgh.

I'd be all over getting Ngata and would rather have David Harris than Poz.

Resigning Taylor and Woodley will take every penny we have available so looking outside is unlikely an option.

Tomlinator
12-07-2010, 10:38 AM
If the Steelers sign anyone off that list (besides thier own players) it will be someone like Eric Weddle.

NJ-STEELER
12-08-2010, 12:27 AM

mankins OG
Joseph OG

Mankins is looking for ridiculous Faneca type money. No way he comes to Pittsburgh.

Resigning Taylor and Woodley will take every penny we have available so looking outside is unlikely an option.

whats faneca money? $6M / yr?

doesn't kemo make $4M per yr? $2M more to for someone like him isnt a big difference IMO... i can see the signing bonus being an issue though.

and i agree about ike and woodley...lets see if the FO does

RuthlessBurgher
12-08-2010, 02:04 AM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":2rlel9va]some others on that list that we could probably afford more

mankins OG
Joseph OG

doesn't kemo make $4M per yr? $2M more to for someone like him isnt a big difference IMO... i can see the signing bonus being an issue though.

and i agree about ike and woodley...lets see if the FO does[/quote:2rlel9va]

Mankins is looking for Jahri Evans type money (more like $8 million per year).

Evans signed a 7 year, $56.7 million contract in May.

Oviedo
12-08-2010, 10:28 AM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":3mtluiql]some others on that list that we could probably afford more

mankins OG
Joseph OG

and i agree about ike and woodley...lets see if the FO does

Mankins is looking for Jahri Evans type money (more like $8 million per year).

Evans signed a 7 year, $56.7 million contract in May.[/quote:3mtluiql]

That is insane money for a Guard.

The problem we have is that we have a franchise QB and we are paying him like one (not suggesting we shouldn't or I want anyone else). This severely limits how you can distribute your dollars. The Steelers like every other team probably have a percentage based allocation of the salary cap per unit, e.g. OL, DL, LB, WR, etc.

The only way you can give a big contract in one area is to compensate in another area by making a reduction. IMO that is why we have not been able to address our two weakest areas (OL and DB) through free agency and therefore we are only slightly above average in both areas. When your QB is taking say 15-20% of the cap you have to economize in other areas. That is why many of the big FA signings are by bottom dweller teams who don't have the franchise QB you need to have to succeed in today's NFL.

I don't see how we can fix that imbalance other than a bunch of higher paid veterans being let go, like: Aaron Smith, James Farrior, Hines Ward, Brett Kiesel, etc. That is going to be essential just to resign Ike Taylor and Lamar Woodley this year and you still have Troy and Timmons to resign in 2012.

That is why talk of going after top notch FA talent is wasting our breath. We will have to succeed or fail through the draft and in the OL and DL we are leaning towards the latter.

If I were king for the day, after executing Goodell, I would implement a veteran exemption much like the NBA has for players with x number of years with the same team to deal with the franchise QB issue.

Dee Dub
12-08-2010, 02:31 PM
I donít know if that is really insane money for a guard. Things are changing in the NFL. Nose tackles like Ngata or DTís like Ndamukong Suh are in vogue and teams are bring more pressure after the QB from inside. And it is a lot easier for teams to disguise the inside blitz.

I saw Pouncey get driven back several times verses Ngata. And even if he doesnt get to the QB he is collapsing the pocket and allowing for LBís to come through. And if you donít have at least one legitimate guard there is nothing there to stop that.

Oviedo
12-08-2010, 02:36 PM
I donít know if that is really insane money for a guard. Things are changing in the NFL. Nose tackles like Ngata or DTís like Ndamukong Suh are in vogue and teams are bring more pressure after the QB from inside. And it is a lot easier for teams to disguise the inside blitz.

I saw Pouncey get driven back several times verses Ngata. And even if he doesnt get to the QB he is collapsing the pocket and allowing for LBís to come through. And if you donít have at least one legitimate guard there is nothing there to stop that.

I can understand your logic but the reality is that we don't have the cap space to pay that kind of money to another OL. Our solution at OG will have to come through the draft or improvement of current players. Foster is the only player I think there is any hope for fitting into the latter category.

If I was drafting and we decided it was going to be a OG then Wisnewski would be my choice.

NJ-STEELER
12-08-2010, 03:15 PM
well,, the top guys may be out of reach...i agree we cant afford to pay a OG that much right now. but there will be other average to above average guards that can be signed for the money Kemo is making.

those guys make less then just above average CBs in free agency and likely will have more of an impact then a 1st round OG.

that allows us to upgrade the OL and still have the top of the draft to improve the secondary/DL ... hard to find any bargains in free agency at those positions