PDA

View Full Version : Ok its Time!!

Dee Dub
12-06-2010, 02:38 PM
…for the Pittsburgh Steelers to get Ben Roethlisberger a legitimate, top of the line, weapon. Everyone knows I love Mike Wallace but Ben needs a big, physical, big play receiver to go along with him. Forget the O-line help, forget, the need on the D-line, and forget the need at CB. These things should all take a back seat to getting a receiver who can get open on a consistent basis. What this team needs more than anything is for their best player to have a playmaker who can score.

Could you imagine Ben with a Roddy White type? Or Larry Fitzgerald type? Two guys making plays on both ends? Are you kidding me? Teams couldnt stop them. And the running game would benefit from it. Mike Wallace would get then get more one on one no over the safety help and he too would flourish.

Ben can win with a horrible patch work line, a below average receiving core, and a running game that is inconsistent.

The Rooney’s should pony up and sign one of the following free agent receivers this offseason.

Sydney Rice (could come at a relative discount because of the time he missed this year)
Vincent Jackson (same as Rice..could come at a slight discount because of the time missed)

Or they should move up and try and get either Julio Jones or A.J. Green. Or maybe the answer is right there in the Steelers back yard…..Jon Baldwin??

Ben can win with a lack of talent around him. He continues to show he can. Get him a big play big money receiver and he will win more convincingly. And these 3 point games (close games), will be a thing of the past.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-06-2010, 02:47 PM
…for the Pittsburgh Steelers to get Ben Roethlisberger a legitimate, top of the line, weapon. Everyone knows I love Mike Wallace but Ben needs a big, physical, big play receiver to go along with him. Forget the O-line help, forget, the need on the D-line, and forget the need at CB. These things should all take a back seat to getting a receiver who can get open on a consistent basis. What this team needs more than anything is for their best player to have a playmaker who can score.

Could you imagine Ben with a Roddy White type? Or Larry Fitzgerald type? Two guys making plays on both ends? Are you kidding me? Teams couldnt stop them. And the running game would benefit from it. Mike Wallace would get then get more one on one no over the safety help and he too would flourish.

Ben can win with a horrible patch work line, a below average receiving core, and a running game that is inconsistent.

The Rooney’s should pony up and sign one of the following free agent receivers this offseason.

Sydney Rice (could come at a relative discount because of the time he missed this year)
Vincent Jackson (same as Rice..could come at a slight discount because of the time missed)

Or they should move up and try and get either Julio Jones or A.J. Green. Or maybe the answer is right there in the Steelers back yard…..Jon Baldwin??

Ben can win with a lack of talent around him. He continues to show he can. Get him a big play big money receiver and he will win more convincingly. And these 3 point games (close games), will be a thing of the past.

Are you talking for next season? Or somehow, this season? Before we fix the O-line this season (if we can)?

papillon
12-06-2010, 02:47 PM

Limas Sweed, he'll be back next year, don't worry the Steelers have you covered. :tt2 :P

Pappy

msp26505
12-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Forget the O-line help

No.

If you want to see why...look at the Detroit Lions. They were in love with this idea for the last ten years and wasted pick after pick after pick looking for a big play threat that almost always underperformed.

I'd be happy with a draft that looked like this:

1. OL
2. CB
3. OL
4. OL
5. CB
6. DL
7. OL

I'd love to get a Larry Fitzgerald type, but if we don't fix this line soon, Ben's career won't last long enough to throw to anybody.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-06-2010, 02:51 PM

Limas Sweed, he'll be back next year, don't worry the Steelers have you covered. :tt2 :P

Pappy

Pappy - don't know if that was tongue-in-cheek, but you know, if he pans out, it will be like we hit the jackpot offensively. Come on Limas, you can do it!

Dee Dub
12-06-2010, 02:52 PM

Are you talking for next season? Or somehow, this season? Before we fix the O-line this season (if we can)?

Well did you read my post? It refers to free agency and this upcoming draft.

Just how important is fixing the O-line when Ben proves over and over that he can win regardless? I want it fixed too....but this team would benefit more from one of those big physical, big play receivers.

Again think about what Ben could do with a Larry Fitzgerald type?

Dee Dub
12-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Forget the O-line help

No.

If you want to see why...look at the Detroit Lions. They were in love with this idea for the last ten years and wasted pick after pick after pick looking for a big play threat that almost always underperformed.

I'd be happy with a draft that looked like this:

1. OL
2. CB
3. OL
4. OL
5. CB
6. DL
7. OL

I'd love to get a Larry Fitzgerald type, but if we don't fix this line soon, Ben's career won't last long enough to throw to anybody.

Ben can win with this line. His window is about 5 years. Get him a receiver and watch how many more championships the Steelers win.

Dude he literally has very little to work with. What would he do with a Roddy White type?

steelerkeylargo
12-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Dude, we haven't signed a significant free agent since James Farrior. We could have Stallworth, Swann and Lipps out there, but Ben is running for his life. Lets get a real O-Line!!!

Shawn
12-06-2010, 02:59 PM
I highly doubt we will get a Fitz type of player late in the first. I would rather have a DB after seeing McFadden last night. But, I wouldn't cry if we drafted a WR in the first.

StarSpangledSteeler
12-06-2010, 03:01 PM
I'm not sure exactly of what "type" of WR you're asking for? A deep threat? Or one who can get open? Or one who can go up and get the ball in traffic?

Wallace is getting separation. Sanders is getting separation. Even Brown is getting separation. And more importantly, all 3 are proving to have very good hands. Ward and Miller are still pretty physical and fairly reliable at catching balls in traffic. Plus Mendy has emerged as an excellent 3rd option out in the flat. I mean i'd love to have a Fitzgerald just to draw the other safety away but there aren't that many balls to go around to take on a new #1 WR right now and still use the weapons we already have. Ben already distributes the ball well and he could throw to Miller 5 more times a game easily and he'd be open on all 5. I just don't see putting another rookie on the field to go with our other 3 near rookies. Boldin would've been a nice pick up for us. Tough. Reliable hands. Not great speed but he can go up and get the ball in traffic. So maybe bring in a FA or trade for Steve Smith out of Carolina.

I think we'd be wayyyyy better off drafting OL who can give Ben 5-6 seconds to see the receivers we already have. Seriously, if you give Ben more time he is going to find the open guy. Plus, if he's dead, it doesn't matter how many WR we have. Look at the Ngata hit. That can't happen. We have to protect him. That was not Ben holding the ball too long. We need more talent like Pouncey to keep him clean. That has to be our 1st round priority.

papillon
12-06-2010, 03:02 PM

Pappy

Pappy - don't know if that was tongue-in-cheek, but you know, if he pans out, it will be like we hit the jackpot offensively. Come on Limas, you can do it!

It's a little of both for some reason I haven't given up on Limas Sweed; mostly because through all of his trials and tribulations he's kept his nose to the grindstone and is giving it his best effort. I'm hoping he's healed, rehabbed and ready to go next training camp (if he gets invited).

Pappy

Dee Dub
12-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Dude, we haven't signed a significant free agent since James Farrior. We could have Stallworth, Swann and Lipps out there, but Ben is running for his life. Lets get a real O-Line!!!

That is also in part because his receivers can't get open. Even on a hot read.

That is not all on having a poor offensive line.

Crash
12-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Shoulda signed TO.

Dee Dub
12-06-2010, 03:07 PM
I highly doubt we will get a Fitz type of player late in the first. I would rather have a DB after seeing McFadden last night. But, I wouldn't cry if we drafted a WR in the first.

Ok...our defense gave up a whoppy 10 points with a horrible corner. In fact the Steelers all season long have been among the leagues leaders in fewest points allowed and they are 9-3 with a bad secondary.

I agree it is important but dont agree that it would be more significant than getting Ben a big play receiver.

birtikidis
12-06-2010, 03:08 PM
you and your flashy toys.
give me the big uglies.
give me an offense that uses the players skills instead of forcing them to adapt to it.
give ben 7 seconds like flacco had on that td pass.
then you'll see how great he can be.

birtikidis
12-06-2010, 03:09 PM

Ok...our defense gave up a whoppy 10 points with a horrible corner. In fact the Steelers all season long have been among the leagues leaders in fewest points allowed and they are 9-3 with a bad secondary.

I agree it is important but dont agree that it would be more significant than getting Ben a big play receiver.
we need to do something about BMac. I don't think we need to draft a highly touted corner, but i do think we need to adjust for his ineptitude. play him at the line and give him over the top help and don't ask for too much from him...
or bench him.
either or.

Doogie36
12-06-2010, 03:09 PM
I totally disagree and heres why!

Big Ben is good and the Steelers are good because we dont have that #1 guy who must be targetted 75% of the time or he'll cry!!! Think about it...............last night how many WR's did Ben hit???? I lost count but i know it was more than 7 receivers!!! Our 5 wide sets are working and we have guys like Randle El and Battle sitting the bench and being ok with it...........Hines Ward made 1 catch!!!! 1 catch and after the game and on facebook he praises guys like Sanders for stepping up!!!!!!!! Go get that T.O. or Fitzgerald or Roddy White and try to spread the ball around!!!! Those #1 guys are number 1 guys because they get 100 receptions a year!!!! THAT ISNT STEELER FOOTBALL and its not how BEN plays this game. Remember BURRESS wanted out and so did HOLMES!!!! THey wanted the ball tooooooooo much!!!! I say we go OL and you let BEN throw to the hungry guys who are just out there to play ball!!! We have the best #1 WR in the league in WARD!! UNSELFISH and could give 2 craps less about his stats as long as they win the ballgame!!!!!!!!!!! I for 1 love the new ROOKIES and feel our WR CORP is much improved and even love REDMAN out of the backfield catchng balls now tooo!!! Even Johnson looked darn good!!!! Big Ben extends plays and I dont see BEN and a TRUE #1 WR in this league really having chemistry!!! It's my opinion but if Neil Odonnell was our QB i'd say YES we need a true #1 WR.................WE have BEN and he did just fine spreading the ball around last night and has 0 pressure in trying to get a #1 guy 75% of his throws.....................that's winning football when you can spread it around............

GOOO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

birtikidis
12-06-2010, 03:12 PM

Big Ben is good and the Steelers are good because we dont have that #1 guy who must be targetted 75% of the time or he'll cry!!! Think about it...............last night how many WR's did Ben hit???? I lost count but i know it was more than 7 receivers!!! Our 5 wide sets are working and we have guys like Randle El and Battle sitting the bench and being ok with it...........Hines Ward made 1 catch!!!! 1 catch and after the game and on facebook he praises guys like Sanders for stepping up!!!!!!!! Go get that T.O. or Fitzgerald or Roddy White and try to spread the ball around!!!! Those #1 guys are number 1 guys because they get 100 receptions a year!!!! THAT ISNT STEELER FOOTBALL and its not how BEN plays this game. Remember BURRESS wanted out and so did HOLMES!!!! THey wanted the ball tooooooooo much!!!! I say we go OL and you let BEN throw to the hungry guys who are just out there to play ball!!! We have the best #1 WR in the league in WARD!! UNSELFISH and could give 2 craps less about his stats as long as they win the ballgame!!!!!!!!!!! I for 1 love the new ROOKIES and feel our WR CORP is much improved and even love REDMAN out of the backfield catchng balls now tooo!!! Even Johnson looked darn good!!!! Big Ben extends plays and I dont see BEN and a TRUE #1 WR in this league really having chemistry!!! It's my opinion but if Neil Odonnell was our QB i'd say YES we need a true #1 WR.................WE have BEN and he did just fine spreading the ball around last night and has 0 pressure in trying to get a #1 guy 75% of his throws.....................that's winning football when you can spread it around............

yes sir!
wooooooooooo!

Dee Dub
12-06-2010, 03:14 PM
I'm not sure exactly of what "type" of WR you're asking for? A deep threat? Or one who can get open? Or one who can go up and get the ball in traffic?

Wallace is getting separation. Sanders is getting separation. Even Brown is getting separation. And more importantly, all 3 are proving to have very good hands. Ward and Miller are still pretty physical and fairly reliable at catching balls in traffic. Plus Mendy has emerged as an excellent 3rd option out in the flat. I mean i'd love to have a Fitzgerald just to draw the other safety away but there aren't that many balls to go around to take on a new #1 WR right now and still use the weapons we already have. Ben already distributes the ball well and he could throw to Miller 5 more times a game easily and he'd be open on all 5. I just don't see putting another rookie on the field to go with our other 3 near rookies. Boldin would've been a nice pick up for us. Tough. Reliable hands. Not great speed but he can go up and get the ball in traffic. So maybe bring in a FA or trade for Steve Smith out of Carolina.

I think we'd be wayyyyy better off drafting OL who can give Ben 5-6 seconds to see the receivers we already have. Seriously, if you give Ben more time he is going to find the open guy. Plus, if he's dead, it doesn't matter how many WR we have. Look at the Ngata hit. That can't happen. We have to protect him. That was not Ben holding the ball too long. We need more talent like Pouncey to keep him clean. That has to be our 1st round priority.

What would it do for Wallace, Sanders, and Brown if the Steelers had Sydney Rice?

I'm all for drafting O-linemen....but let's sign Sydney Rice as a free agent.

Dee Dub
12-06-2010, 03:21 PM

How many dropped passes? How many times did one of those young receivers run the wrong route? How many times was Ben hit, sacked, pressured as a result of his receiving core not getting open?

I don’t understand why we have this big time QB and don’t want to get him big time talent??

birtikidis
12-06-2010, 03:23 PM

How many dropped passes? How many times did one of those young receivers run the wrong route? How many times was Ben hit, sacked, pressured as a result of his receiving core not getting open?

I don’t understand why we have this big time QB and don’t want to get him big time talent??
maybe because we don't have the big time money available to pay guys.
why do we have this big time qb and let him get hit over and over and over again?

RuthlessBurgher
12-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Shoulda signed TO.

Owens would never agree to play with such a soft QB. :bungalssuck

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2010/09000d5d81cad897_gallery_600.jpg

AngryAsian
12-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Sorry, bro.... absolute insanity. Look at the condition of our franchise QB, busted up foot and broken nose. Your new flashy possession receiver would have no one to throw to him. He's been taking a beating for the past 4 seasons and will not last long, if we don't get him a line that will protect our 100 million dollar investment. Pouncey was a great start, now let's do some damage in the draft with what Birtikidis called "BIG UGLIES!"

Doogie36
12-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Will the BIG TIME talent be ok with only catching 2 passes a game??? Look at MASON right now.............last time I checked he was a pretty quiet guy and a well respected guy!! He's a number 3 WR now and he is running his mouth off saying how HORRIBLE THEY ARE OFFENSIVELY!!!!!!!!!!! I mean really..............

Sanders and Brown have the potential and I sure like what I'm seeing from them even with the wrong routes and the dropped passes!!! Hines dropped 1 last night too on 3rd down!! Lets cut him immediately!!! How many drops does TO have again??? Roddy White even drops a few....LOL

I love what we have and sometimes we should just be careful for what we wish for at times!!!!!! Our best WR's that we love the most werent true #1 guys!! Stallworth, Lipps, Thigpen, and Ward................but you know who they were??? TEAM PLAYERS!! Still remember Thigpen pulling out that terrible towel after a TD and waving it!!! I want guys like that!!!!!!! Team first, stats 2nd.............we have that right now!!!!!

Remember Cedrick Wilson???? LOL........running his mouth off and he was horrible....do we truly want a #1 guy???

OL is needed!!! we have 2 good rooks that i'm excited to see develop and when is the last time we had 2 ROOKIE WR's on the field at the same time and contributing like these guys are???? We are the STEELERS!!!! We dont play rookies but yet these 2 guys are on the field???? and POUNCEY is awesome!!! I'll take 1 or 2 more of him please.

We are good because we dont play the top dollar guys!!! We have the most SUPERBOWLS for a reason guys!!! We are the same team that let ROD WOODSON GO!!! Same team who let FRANCO HARRIS GOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean seriously!!! We just dont pay TOP DOLLAR!!! PA people arent top dollar people.......the majority of the state makes a very low wage and work their butts off for that wage!!!! We have a football team that matches our STATE and it's people and I wouldnt want it any other way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOOO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dee Dub
12-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Sorry, bro.... absolute insanity. Look at the condition of our franchise QB, busted up foot and broken nose. Your new flashy possession receiver would have no one to throw to him. He's been taking a beating for the past 4 seasons and will not last long, if we don't get him a line that will protect our 100 million dollar investment. Pouncey was a great start, now let's do some damage in the draft with what Birtikidis called "BIG UGLIES!"

Agreed about needing to fix the line. Do it in the draft. Sign a free agent WR.

I wonder why some cant get this but if you cant read it all lies there. :idea:

I too am all for fixing the O-line and the CB position but WR is just as important.

Hines Ward is done.

birtikidis
12-06-2010, 03:43 PM

Agreed about needing to fix the line. Do it in the draft. Sign a free agent WR.

I wonder why some cant get this but if you cant read it all lies there. :idea:

I too am all for fixing the O-line and the CB position but WR is just as important.

Hines Ward is done.
I wouldn't mind seeing them go out and try to sign someone, unfortunately teams just don't let star athletes walk. who do you have in mind dub? Rice would be nice.. don't have any idea what it'd take to sign him though...

steelerkeylargo
12-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Like I said the Steelers don't sign big time FA's. You can dream all you wan't but it doesn't happen.

feltdizz
12-06-2010, 03:49 PM

points are always hard to come by in a Rats Steelers game.

NJ-STEELER
12-06-2010, 03:50 PM
as much as i love the idea. esp if julio jones drops to 20 ish...going up and getting him

the secondary is so bad, we have to make a pick there. maybe OL too although i dont like drafting OGs in the 1st. but, if it can impact the OL like the pouncey pick has done..then we need to look there as well

good thing is there a lot of big physical WRs coming out this year. maybe we can snag one in the 2nd/3rd round

and yes, i'm still not counting out sweed until i hear they release him. we could have 3 possible opening in the WR corps next year. antwaan never was, losing battle, and hines is nearing the end

Dee Dub
12-06-2010, 03:58 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing them go out and try to sign someone, unfortunately teams just don't let star athletes walk. who do you have in mind dub? Rice would be nice.. don't have any idea what it'd take to sign him though...

Every year there are big time players available via free agency.

You can count on Vincent Jackson being available. I think Sydney Rice too.

Dee Dub
12-06-2010, 04:01 PM
Like I said the Steelers don't sign big time FA's. You can dream all you wan't but it doesn't happen.

This is my point. I think it is time that the Steelers do. They cannot fill all their holes in the draft. They have a special player who has about a 5 year window. Winning Super Bowls is not easy. Adding a big time receiver for Ben sure would make it easier.

RuthlessBurgher
12-06-2010, 04:12 PM

Every year there are big time players available via free agency.

You can count on Vincent Jackson being available. I think Sydney Rice too.

Vincent Jackson held out this year because A.J. Smith wouldn't give him a Fitzgerald-like contract. Guess what...we aren't going to give him a Fitzgerald-like contract either. Someone like Dan Snyder will do that.

Sidney Rice had a couple of awesome catches this week to show that his injury has healed, and he hasn't lost what he had last year when he had over 1300 yards receiving. His price tag won't be dropping either.

It's nice to dream about getting awesome players at bargain prices, but those guys will want long term deals with an average nearing $10 million per season, and likely well over $20 guaranteed. It's not happening.

As for Fitz, he's locked up until 2013. Do you think Whis would just give a guy like that away for some minor draft picks? Not quite.

Our free agent money this off-season will go toward giving Woodley a big long term deal, and trying to get a somewhat reasonable extension done with Ike Taylor, even though he is starting to get up there a bit in age (since we know that our corners that aren't named Ike are downright awful right now).

Dee Dub
12-06-2010, 04:16 PM
I dont think Woodley is coming back.

And I didn’t say that Jackson and Rice weren’t going to cost some money. But they aren’t going to cost as much as they would have this time last year. I have no problem paying great football big money. And when you have Ben Roethlisberger I say do it.

papillon
12-06-2010, 04:46 PM
The Steelers sign Steeler free agents with their money, not someone else's free agents. You've been watching and following the Steelers for a long time, so I know you know this. The Steelers will groom people to fill in while they continue to build through the draft like they have for 40 years. Every now and then you get a Farrior or Bettis signing, but names that big aren't the norm and when the Steelers signed them they really weren't that big as far as name recognition goes.

Be patient grasshopper, be patient, Ben will be a Steeler for more than 5 years (barring injury of course) there's time.

Pappy

birtikidis
12-06-2010, 04:50 PM

And I didn’t say that Jackson and Rice weren’t going to cost some money. But they aren’t going to cost as much as they would have this time last year. I have no problem paying great football big money. And when you have Ben Roethlisberger I say do it.
No to Vincent. Guy thinks he's Fitz and he's half the man...

Dee Dub
12-06-2010, 04:53 PM
The Steelers sign Steeler free agents with their money, not someone else's free agents. You've been watching and following the Steelers for a long time, so I know you know this. The Steelers will groom people to fill in while they continue to build through the draft like they have for 40 years. Every now and then you get a Farrior or Bettis signing, but names that big aren't the norm and when the Steelers signed them they really weren't that big as far as name recognition goes.

Be patient grasshopper, be patient, Ben will be a Steeler for more than 5 years (barring injury of course) there's time.

Pappy

Pap we all know this. I think this should change for one huge reason----Ben Roethlisberger.

And no one is suggesting that this be a habit. Just one time. Ben has what 5 years in his prime? Why not. Just once.

Dee Dub
12-06-2010, 04:54 PM

Agreed he isnt in Fitz's league but his league is pretty good---

68 rep. 1167 yards 17.2 ypc 9 TD's last year.

birtikidis
12-06-2010, 04:58 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":3lk5mcej]I dont think Woodley is coming back.

Agreed he isnt in Fitz's league but his league is pretty good---

68 rep. 1167 yards 17.2 ypc 9 TD's last year.[/quote:3lk5mcej]
for as much as SD throws the ball, i actually thought it'd be higher... was he hurt at all last year? I'd actually like to see us kinda go the pats direction and get another good pass catching TE and see what that could do for us.
Receiver wise, I don't see us keeping ARE and we'll probably let Battle walk too... Hines is getting old, so it would be nice to get him a replacement.. I think we have to draft a Guard in the first round... the more i think about it the more convinced I am.
any word on Sweeds recovery?

Dee Dub
12-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Oh and Sidney Rice is all of 24 years old. Any money given to him to me would worth it.

Then draft DeMarcus Love OT with the first pick.

birtikidis
12-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Oh and Sidney Rice is all of 24 years old. Any money given to him to me would worth it.

Then draft DeMarcus Love OT with the first pick.
I wouldn't go tackle. Why have another tackle play guard?

birtikidis
12-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Is Rice going to be a free agent?

Northern_Blitz
12-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Shoulda signed TO.
We should have signed Boldin if we were going to try to bring in a FA WR.

I'd be OK with a FA WR, but it's not going to happen. Wallace looks very good and Brown and Sanders have both looked good this year.

I really hate drafting WRs in the 1st round. I hope we don't do this.

I think that the #1 priority should be help in the secondary. The O-Line actually looked good when everyone was healthy. It's a credit to the new coach that they are playing as well as they are after all the significant injuries on the line.

RuthlessBurgher
12-06-2010, 05:26 PM
Shoulda signed TO.
We should have signed Boldin if we were going to try to bring in a FA WR.

I'd be OK with a FA WR, but it's not going to happen. Wallace looks very good and Brown and Sanders have both looked good this year.

I really hate drafting WRs in the 1st round. I hope we don't do this.

I think that the #1 priority should be help in the secondary. The O-Line actually looked good when everyone was healthy. It's a credit to the new coach that they are playing as well as they are after all the significant injuries on the line.

Boldin wasn't a free agent. The Ravens traded with the Cardinals to acquire him. I'm sure that move to send a legit WR to our primary rival was a little "F.U." from Whis, Grimm, et. al. to their former bosses. I doubt that they would have made the same deal with us (and they would never agree to trade Fitzgerald to us even if Larry would want to play back in Pittsburgh again).

Doogie36
12-06-2010, 05:26 PM
We won 6 superbowls without ever having a true GAME BREAKING WR!!!!

Philip Rivers had Vincent Jackson and what did that do for him??? They talk RIVERS up every year and man he's a great fantasy QB but even with those mind blowing numbers they do what???? LOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh and Jackson held out why??? oh i know....he wanted MORE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

We are and never will be a team that just lets BEN throw 50 times a game....It's not a proven way to win in this league!!!!! Peyton Manning is learning that this year!!! Even the years Brady won superbowls they were more balanced!!!!

Plus what else do we need to think about here guys???? How about the WEATHER IN PITTSBURGH!!!!!!!! When is playoff time???? That's right in the WINTER!!! Who wears gloves to throw the football??? BIG BEN!!! Remember this debate a few years ago??? Ben taking off the gloves debate??? Now add in a #1 WR in this weather!! Who are the great receievers in this league and where do they play??? When's the last time the BEARS had a great WR???? don't they play in cold weather tooo???? We have 6 trophys so something must be working here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are 9-3 with two rookie WR's, a burner in Wallace, the VET in Ward, and a great TE in Miller!!! Add in a few guys who can catch out of the backfield and I dont know why we need a #1 WR over a lineman!!!!!!!!!! I just dont get it........

ikestops85
12-06-2010, 06:55 PM
The biggest bang for the buck would be for us to go out and sign Burress again. Maybe he has matured some but he is a big, physical receiver that can also go deep.

Problem solved :D

flippy
12-06-2010, 10:22 PM
WRs are a dime a dozen. They don't win championships.

Get Ben some protection up front to keep him healthy longer.

And improve the pass rush.

What have the big fast WRs done over the last 10 years? Nada.

We're gonna be ok with Wallace, Brown, and Sanders for a while.

Dee Dub
12-06-2010, 10:53 PM
Wow!!! Some of you guys are a trip. Your attention span isnt much nor is your attention to detail. I'd suggest some maybe read my posts again.

Ok here..

I am not sugesting the Steelers throw the ball 50 times.

I am not suggesting the Steelers spend money like the Redskins.

Yes Sidney Rice and Vincent Jackson are free agents after this year.

Jackson was not the number one option for the Chargers--Antonio Gates was and is.

True Philip Rivers did have Vincent Jackson but he never had the Steelers defense to go with it. :idea:

And yes WR's dont necessarily win championships...but then again neither do offensive lines (see 2005)..

And to the one who said the Steelers have won 6 Super Bowls with out ever having a true game breaking WR....

CLUELESS!!! :roll:

You should be ashamed not knowing your Steeler history.

papillon
12-06-2010, 11:04 PM

Pappy

Pap we all know this. I think this should change for one huge reason----Ben Roethlisberger.

And no one is suggesting that this be a habit. Just one time. Ben has what 5 years in his prime? Why not. Just once.

I just don't think that Larry Fitzgerald, Vincent Jackson or Sidney Rice make a big enough of a difference to warrant spending the money. Those players while very good don't put the Steeler offense into the elite category. The offensive line is in tatters and no amount of big play receivers are going to patch them together and turn them from average into very good.

I just don't see how a big name, big play receiver makes a big enough of a difference in the Steeler offense. The current skill players with a good offensive line will look like a million dollars, fix the line to fix the problems.

Pappy

Pappy

NJ-STEELER
12-06-2010, 11:05 PM
i think the best solution for this team and how they work is to try and sign a above average OG in free agency.
those guys dont break the bank like top WRs or CBs do

then in the draft go with skill in the top rounds. while they're breaking into the league andn rumors of a rookie contract...they will still be fit in our pay structure

WR and DL look to be deep this year. dont know about CB, but i wouldn't go later then the 2nd to try for an immediate upgrade..we've seen what thats gotten us

picks
1st - CB/WR.. whoever has more value to us
2nd- WR/CB/DL
3rd- whatever left from above
4th- OG or safety...lots of good guards are taken in the 3rd/4th round area

that of course is knowing sweed is definately out of the picture. dont want to close the book on him yet

Dee Dub
12-06-2010, 11:15 PM
.....I just don't see how a big name, big play receiver makes a big enough of a difference in the Steeler offense.

Of course you dont. You've never seen Ben with one. Understandable.

Now....look outside the box.

The current skill players with a good offensive line will look like a million dollars, fix the line to fix the problems.

Pappy

I like these young group of receivers the Steelers have too...but there is a difference between what Emmanuel Sanders or Antonio Brown max out at and what an Andre Johnson or a Larry Fitzgerald type maxes out at.

It's sad that Steelers fans dont understand this.

NJ-STEELER
12-07-2010, 12:06 AM
dont think we'll ever see a fitz or dre type

i'd settle for the level right below though, guys like sydney, austin, roddy jennings type

Sugar
12-07-2010, 12:08 AM
.....I just don't see how a big name, big play receiver makes a big enough of a difference in the Steeler offense.

The current skill players with a good offensive line will look like a million dollars, fix the line to fix the problems.

Pappy

I like these young group of receivers the Steelers have too...but there is a difference between what Emmanuel Sanders or Antonio Brown max out at and what an Andre Johnson or a Larry Fitzgerald type maxes out at.

I understand, but I just don't think it's worth the price in most cases.

papillon
12-07-2010, 07:41 AM

He's played with Holmes and won a Super Bowl, of course, they had arguably one of the top three defense of all time that year. Ben makes the players on the field better, not vice versa. The cost to other positions doesn't justify paying a top 5 WR to play for the Steelers. It's understandable that you don't comprehend the big picture and how that fits in with the Steeler philosophy of running an NFL football team.

Pappy

We have no idea where any of these young receivers top out professionally. You never have enough patience to wait and see how the Steeler draft picks work out for the team. As soon as there's a nice new shiny toy out there you want to jettison veterans or developing young players to buy the new toy. The Redskins, Raiders, Browns, etc have been trying this for years and it fails miserably.

Don't be sad for me and others who have seen a tried and true method of running a football team for 40 years work to the tune of 6 Super Bowls, while the big spenders in FA sit and watch by the fire while the Steelers play in playoff games.

It's sad to me that some fans have zero patience and don't see the beauty in drafting, developing and then signing your own players and winning games at the highest rate over the past 40 years, that's what is sad.

Pappy

Doogie36
12-07-2010, 10:22 AM
That would be "ME" who said we never had a game breaking WR!!!!!! Please educate me again!!! Who was our game breaking WR's???? Swann and Stallworth??? REALLY??? So what you are saying is in the 70's when we won 4 super bowls those 2 guys were the game breakers???? REALLY??? it wasnt the BEST DEFENSE that led us to the promise land??? Wasnt Franco Harris or the well balanced offense??? It was Swann and Stallworth???? REALLY???? I'm no math expert here but Bradshaws numbers alone is proof we didnt have TOP GUYS!!!!!!!!!!! We had 2 very hard working guys who complimented each other but I wouldnt call either of those guys GAME BREAKING WRS!!! Great in the PLAYOFFS and SUPERBOWL YES but so was HOLMES. Many weeks on this same FORUM we would say how HOLMES wasnt getting open and how small he was and yadda yadda but the boy sure did step up in the playoffs and superbowl just like Swann and Stallworth. We also have a Swann and Stallworth now in the form of WALLACE and WARD!

Please throw up some proof and numbers before you tell me I dont know my history. Maybe its you dee dub who doesnt understand our history. If you did you would understand why we will never get that #1 guy you so badly want. I guess you dont expect this #1 WR we get to block either right???? We need him to truly concentrate on catching the ball and padding those STATS!!!!! Since our WR's are so horrible we need to upgrade them maybe BA should start having BEN throw the ball to himself!!!!! when the blitz comes he can loft the pass in the air and just run under it and if he gets hit he will be a defenseless receiver and we can get an extra 15 yards.........something to think about before we sign a 50million dollar WR!!!!

Goooo Steelers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doogie36
12-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Before we sing the praises of Swann and Stallworth who were GREAT and did step up in the Superbowls as we all seen the highlight's over and over again we should really stop and ask ourselves!! Were they top 10??? Were they the big time WR we are talking about here??? Answer is NO!!!

Swann's best year.....BEST YEAR.....let that sink in here...........BEST...........1978 where he had 61 receptions for 880 yards. He was held without a catch 2 times that year and only top the 100 yard mark twice as well...............his best year guys!!!!

Stallworths best year....1984..............but since I dont know our history and this argument is about superbowl years we will go back to 1979 for John's best year where he had 70 receptions for 1183 yards..........PRETTY GOOD for back in the day but he had 3 games where he had 20 yards receiving or less and he only had (3) 100 yard games.

It was clear that these guys might be the best DUO of WR's since they complimented each other so well but to sit here and call either of them a GAME BREAKER true #1 is a bit crazy.

So unless I'm missing something I believe i do know my Steeler History!! LOL

I also believe we had a great GROUND GAME and the BEST DEFENSE those superbowl years tooo!!! WOuld be a stretch to say we had a true GREAT #1 WR tooo wouldnt it???

GOOO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

feltdizz
12-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Stallworth and Swann were game changers IMO...

most SB highlights show Bradshaw dropping back to throw bombs that put teams away.

but right now? We need OL, OL, DL.. and CB

ramblinjim
12-07-2010, 01:02 PM
put me in the O-line camp. give Ben six or seven seconds to throw the ball most plays and he'll make Brady and Payton's numbers look pedestrian.

This draft should hit Oline and Dline hard with best available secondary player coming in maybe the third or fourth round. We're really pretty good everywhere else.

ikestops85
12-07-2010, 01:05 PM
put me in the O-line camp. give Ben six or seven seconds to throw the ball most plays and he'll make Brady and Payton's numbers look pedestrian.

This draft should hit Oline and Dline hard with best available secondary player coming in maybe the third or fourth round. We're really pretty good everywhere else.

I'm in the big ugly camp also. It may not be sexy but give Ben a good line and he can do more with less regarding receivers.

sentinel33
12-07-2010, 01:22 PM
we should either take the best O-linemen available or the best DB(CB/FS) available.

this team is 9-3. with what seems to be a constantly rotated shift of O-linemen.
We are deploying 2 rookie wr's and we have a second year wr drafted in the 3rd round as our go to guy. The defense is playing as close to lights out as they can with a weak link at CB.

i would like to think we could get a WR in FA. but im dead set against using our first round pick on a WR.

we take the best OT,CB,FS or OG and go from there.

personally i hope we snag a CB/FS in round one and an OG in round 2 with both of them either starting right away or contributing heavily in there rookie season.

steelblood
12-07-2010, 01:36 PM
CB, OL are bigger needs.
FS and DL may even be bigger.
But, if a great talent like Julio Jones is there at the end of the first round, that would be a very inexpensive replacement for Hines and he'd really help our offense. Also, Jones is a phenomenal special teams player on coverage and return units. IF Jones or another WR was the BPA, I'd have no problem with drafting him.

Dee Dub
12-07-2010, 02:47 PM
We have no idea where any of these young receivers top out professionally. You never have enough patience to wait and see how the Steeler draft picks work out for the team. As soon as there's a nice new shiny toy out there you want to jettison veterans or developing young players to buy the new toy. The Redskins, Raiders, Browns, etc have been trying this for years and it fails miserably.

Don't be sad for me and others who have seen a tried and true method of running a football team for 40 years work to the tune of 6 Super Bowls, while the big spenders in FA sit and watch by the fire while the Steelers play in playoff games.

It's sad to me that some fans have zero patience and don't see the beauty in drafting, developing and then signing your own players and winning games at the highest rate over the past 40 years, that's what is sad.

Pappy

Pap…what are you talking about? Who is talking about jettisoning players? I don’t want to get rid of Sanders and Brown. Why don’t you go back and re-read what I have said. For Goodness sakes..I am suggesting that the Steelers go out and sign one free agent and then use their draft picks on other needs. Ya know??…to develop younger players??

It is a little embarrassing Pap. :roll:

Dee Dub
12-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Stallworth and Swann were game changers IMO...

most SB highlights show Bradshaw dropping back to throw bombs that put teams away.

Felt any Steeler fan from that area knows this. A kid with a computer who didnt see them play wouldnt.

Doogie36
12-07-2010, 03:17 PM
This kid saw all 6 superbowls and i remember Franco Harris running the crap out of the ball and I also remember Bradshaw dropping a beautiful ball right in the basket of Stallworth vs the Rams game. To say Stallworth is the reason that play is a TD is dumb.....................Lynn Swann leaping up to catch the pass is a great great play without a doubt!!!!!!! 1 play doesnt make him the best WR in the league!!!

How about Holmes??? All those playoff TD's and the game winner in the superbowl??? Where does that rank??? Is he a top 10 WR in this league??? He sure wanted to get paid like one!!!!

How about Wallace??? His Holmes like catch vs green bay last year and what about this year with some of his TD catches??? He tipped one to himself didnt he???? Swann like huh??? He isnt a top 10 WR either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lynn Swanns best year 1978 ranked him 7th in the league!!!! Best YEAR....
John Stallworth's best year 1979 ranked him 6th in the league!!! Best YEAR.....

Together yes these 2 were awesome especially when you combine them with a Franco and a Bradshaw!!!!!!!!! but alone would these 2 have been great WR's????

by the way.....HOLMES in 2009 ranked 7th in the league as well!!! We let that gamebreaker go didnt we???? Oh we let Burress go tooo!!!!

My point is simple!!!!!!!! many others have made this point......they are a dime a dozen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look at johnson from Buffalo!!!!! He's 1 drop pass away from being a name in this league!!!!!!!!!!! 1 drop pass is all that separates him from being a 2nd round fantasy stud next year!!! LOL..............Fantasy WR's are one thing but they just wont rack up fantasy points in PITTSBURGH or CHICAGO!!!!!!!!!! It's that simple!!!!

Stats dont lie!!!!!! the only thing it doesnt show is how well those WR's BLOCK and last time I checked its a REQUIREMENT IN PITTSBURGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have never been this pumped about our WR corp!!! Sanders, Brown, Wallace and Miller................LOVE IT....................WARD COACH!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE THIS 4 already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont want some money hungry WR coming in demanding 75% of the balls thrown in his direction!!! NO THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by the way more food for thought!!!!!!!!! Wasnt Nate Washington a basketball player who converted to wide receiver???? Didnt Ben make him look good tooo??? Didnt Ben make him look so good that the TITANS wanted him via free agency???? Didnt the Titans pay him a lot of money???? How about Randle EL??? Paid a lot right????? Did we really miss those guys??? Didnt think so!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dee Dub
12-07-2010, 03:27 PM
Wow!

To not understand that Swann and Stallworth were two of the best WR's of their area is unbelievable. And this from a Steeler fan who claims to have seen them? :shock:

Ok. :roll:

papillon
12-07-2010, 03:34 PM

Pappy

Pap…what are you talking about? Who is talking about jettisoning players? I don’t want to get rid of Sanders and Brown. Why don’t you go back and re-read what I have said. For Goodness sakes..I am suggesting that the Steelers go out and sign one free agent and then use their draft picks on other needs. Ya know??…to develop younger players??

It is a little embarrassing Pap. :roll:

I don't have time or the inclination to go and look up past posts to prove what I'm saying. I believe in general that anytime there is a hot shot player in FA or some "can't miss stud" in college that you are willing to trade away veterans or some younger players to sign or draft a different player. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't believe that I am. If I am I'm sorry, but I think that you more than anyone is always asking the following question: Would you trade <insert players and draft picks> for <insert high dollar free agent>?

The Steelers don't need Rice, Jackson, Fitzgerald to develop the younger players. Hines Ward is still a member of the team and so is Ben Roethlisberger any mentoring of young WRs is in good hands and those hands have about 22 years of experience being a Steeler. How many years of being a Steeler do Jackson, Rice and Fitzgerald have combined? It matters who's mentoring young Steeler prospects, IMO.

Those that didn't get it are gone. I do believe that Fitzgerald would be an excellent Steeler; however, he's under contract for a few more years and the Steelers won't pay him his worth.

Pappy

Ghost
12-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Wow!

To not understand that Swann and Stallworth were two of the best WR's of their area is unbelievable. And this from a Steeler fan who claims to have seen them? :shock:

You really should preference your threads with a note about how you've already made up your mind and don't want any varying opinions. And that when you get something that differs you'll ridicule it. :roll: right back at ya....

Doogie36
12-07-2010, 03:43 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4196 ... me#page/11 (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/419635-the-top-10-pittsburgh-steelers-wide-receivers-of-all-time#page/11)

They were great but you can debate a few things!! Be open minded here for a second!!! I mean really!!!!!!!!

Check out the link!!! We have 6 super bowl trophys and can sit here and debate this all day long!!!! Stallworth and Swann had a #1 defense, a hall of famer QB, and a hall of fame RB as well!!! Take some of those away and would these guys be the WR we are talking about here???? The Calvin Johnson/Andre Johnson type WR that this thread started talking about???? People like yourself wanting a FREE AGENT WR that is an elite WR???

Would Swann and STallworth be elite if they were by themselves???? I for one thought Stallworth was better after all those superbowls when he was the Hines Ward type possession receiver. I sure dont remember winning any superbowls though in the 80's......I was in my teenage years though so maybe i missed it!!!! LOL.

It's something we could debate.....we really could!!!!!! Just like we can sit here and imagine what an Andre Johnson would do for us!!! What did it do for the Lions to have Barry Sanders??? even the year they had a 4000 yard passer??? Sanders still got shut down in the playoffs!!! Look at his playoff stats!!!!!!!!!! We can debate this all day long!!!!!!!!!!!

Simply put!! Anyone can catch a pass if they are open and if the QB has the time to throw the ball!!!!!!!!! Not everyone can blook a defensive lineman or LB for 5-8 seconds!!!!!!!

We have 2 ROOKIES on the field at WR..................remember plaxico's rookie season??? You all know the year he spiked the ball in the field of play!!!!!!!!!!! THese 2 guys are light years ahead of where plaxico was his rookie year!!! I see huge upside for both of these guys and its amazing in itself that they are on the field right now over vets like Randle El and Battle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Djfan
12-07-2010, 03:49 PM
Some threads outlive their shelflife and just stink at the end.

I think this one is there.

feltdizz
12-07-2010, 03:55 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/419635-the-top-10-pittsburgh-steelers-wide-receivers-of-all-time#page/11

They were great but you can debate a few things!! Be open minded here for a second!!! I mean really!!!!!!!!

Check out the link!!! We have 6 super bowl trophys and can sit here and debate this all day long!!!! Stallworth and Swann had a #1 defense, a hall of famer QB, and a hall of fame RB as well!!! Take some of those away and would these guys be the WR we are talking about here???? The Calvin Johnson/Andre Johnson type WR that this thread started talking about???? People like yourself wanting a FREE AGENT WR that is an elite WR???

Would Swann and STallworth be elite if they were by themselves???? I for one thought Stallworth was better after all those superbowls when he was the Hines Ward type possession receiver. I sure dont remember winning any superbowls though in the 80's......I was in my teenage years though so maybe i missed it!!!! LOL.

It's something we could debate.....we really could!!!!!! Just like we can sit here and imagine what an Andre Johnson would do for us!!! What did it do for the Lions to have Barry Sanders??? even the year they had a 4000 yard passer??? Sanders still got shut down in the playoffs!!! Look at his playoff stats!!!!!!!!!! We can debate this all day long!!!!!!!!!!!

Simply put!! Anyone can catch a pass if they are open and if the QB has the time to throw the ball!!!!!!!!! Not everyone can blook a defensive lineman or LB for 5-8 seconds!!!!!!!

We have 2 ROOKIES on the field at WR..................remember plaxico's rookie season??? You all know the year he spiked the ball in the field of play!!!!!!!!!!! THese 2 guys are light years ahead of where plaxico was his rookie year!!! I see huge upside for both of these guys and its amazing in itself that they are on the field right now over vets like Randle El and Battle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

would any position be great all by itself? It's a team game... for you to dismiss Swann and Stallworth as ho hum is rude.

SteelTorch
12-07-2010, 03:58 PM
FORGET ABOUT THE WEAPONS. We've tried focusing on that for the last four seasons, and it hasn't worked out.

OL should be our main area of concentration - not just for the passing game, but the running game as well. I'm tired of watching Mendenhall get hit in the backfield constantly.

Doogie36
12-07-2010, 03:59 PM
my point exactly!! Thank you for making it that simple!!!

TEAM GAME!!! We have GREAT team players and we get rid of those who are about themselves!!!!!!!!!! This is why we wont entertain a high dollar free agent!!

Maybe i should of just said that!! my bad!! LOL

Stallworth and Swann were great!! No doubt but you can honestly WONDER how they would have been on their own or on another team!!! It's what we do as sports fans!! We debate!!!!!!

feltdizz
12-07-2010, 04:41 PM
my point exactly!! Thank you for making it that simple!!!

TEAM GAME!!! We have GREAT team players and we get rid of those who are about themselves!!!!!!!!!! This is why we wont entertain a high dollar free agent!!

Maybe i should of just said that!! my bad!! LOL

Stallworth and Swann were great!! No doubt but you can honestly WONDER how they would have been on their own or on another team!!! It's what we do as sports fans!! We debate!!!!!!

I agree we need to go OL in the draft but your Stallworth/Swann point is way off the mark. I never understood the "put them on another team, take away the longest runs, what if Boise played in the SEC" scenarios. They played for us... they have a ton of highlights and rings. It was what it was :wink:

Ben has to be upright to throw the ball and I think we have young weapons with Sanders and Brown...

Doogie36
12-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Before you read this link i do want everyone to know that Lynn Swan was my favorite player as a kid! but that being said there is a good argument! This is was interesting and posted in 2006.

http://mydd.com/2006/4/3/lynn-swann-doe ... ll-of-fame (http://mydd.com/2006/4/3/lynn-swann-does-not-deserve-to-be-in-the-hall-of-fame)

Doogie36
12-07-2010, 06:08 PM
http://mydd.com/2006/4/3/lynn-swann-doe ... ll-of-fame (http://mydd.com/2006/4/3/lynn-swann-does-not-deserve-to-be-in-the-hall-of-fame)

2.9 catches a game in his career!!! Like everyone else we all remember Swann for what he did in those SuperBowls!!!!!!!!!!

So again back to this thread!!! The author of this thread wants a receiver who averages 8-10 balls a game and 1500 yards receiving right??? What Holmes did for us in 2009 was SWANN LIKE!!!! What Wallace is doing this year is SWANN LIKE!!!!!

So again who are we trying to get again via free agency??? I'm confused now!!! Steve Smith??? VIncent Jackson??? REALLY????

I officially REST my case!!!!!!!! FINALLY

DOnt make me reopen it!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Dee Dub
12-07-2010, 06:51 PM
I don't have time or the inclination to go and look up past posts to prove what I'm saying. I
Pappy

But if you are indicating that it is based on something you think I said but in reality it is the furthest thing from what I have said....I think you should.

It's called Decency.

Dee Dub
12-07-2010, 06:54 PM
Wow!

You really should preference your threads with a note about how you've already made up your mind and don't want any varying opinions. And that when you get something that differs you'll ridicule it. :roll: right back at ya....

Not sure why that hate…but so be it. Do you not agree with me on this? That Swann and Stallworth were two to the best receivers of their era??

If you don’t I would have to disagree with you as well. And I think most Steeler fans would too..

papillon
12-07-2010, 10:29 PM
I don't have time or the inclination to go and look up past posts to prove what I'm saying. I
Pappy

But if you are indicating that it is based on something you think I said but in reality it is the furthest thing from what I have said....I think you should.

It's called Decency.

Here's the entire quote; I am not being disrespectful to you.

I don't have time or the inclination to go and look up past posts to prove what I'm saying. I believe in general that anytime there is a hot shot player in FA or some "can't miss stud" in college that you are willing to trade away veterans or some younger players to sign or draft a different player. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't believe that I am. If I am I'm sorry, but I think that you more than anyone is always asking the following question: Would you trade <insert players and draft picks> for <insert high dollar free agent>?

If you tell me that you don't come up with the trade current players for FAs or college players then that's the end of it, unless I want to go and search your posts (which I don't). Otherwise, I believe you are the one always looking at FAs and how we could make them Steelers by trade or acquisition.

You tell me whether you do that or not. If you don't, accept my apologies for thinking that you do; if you do, then I stand by my statements.

I believe I'm being "decent" about the whole discussion.

Pappy

birtikidis
12-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Pappy

It's called Decency.

Here's the entire quote; I am not being disrespectful to you.

If you tell me that you don't come up with the trade current players for FAs or college players then that's the end of it, unless I want to go and search your posts (which I don't). Otherwise, I believe you are the one always looking at FAs and how we could make them Steelers by trade or acquisition.

You tell me whether you do that or not. If you don't accept my apologies for thinking that you do; if you do, then I stand by my statements.

I believe I'm being "decent" about the whole discussion.

Pappy
i jerk his chain all the time about how he wanted to trade our entire draft for mike williams. he wanted to do something similiar for reggie bush too. you pap, are spot on.

NJ-STEELER
12-08-2010, 12:40 AM
i'm all for beefing up the OL or the secondary, but i dont see the negative in getting a dominat WR.

there's some pretty dominate teams in the history of the league with top WRs.

san franciso had that jerry something guy. dallas seemed to win a few with irvin being the main man.

heck even the steelers tried going with that philosophy when they drafted plax 8th overall and that was without even having a legitimate QB.

D Rock
12-08-2010, 01:23 AM
If I ran the Steelers, it would be SOOOOOOO easy to be successful every year.

I would just come on this site and read Dee Dub's posts, and do the exact opposite.

birtikidis
12-08-2010, 02:11 PM
i'm all for beefing up the OL or the secondary, but i dont see the negative in getting a dominat WR.

there's some pretty dominate teams in the history of the league with top WRs.

san franciso had that jerry something guy. dallas seemed to win a few with irvin being the main man.

heck even the steelers tried going with that philosophy when they drafted plax 8th overall and that was without even having a legitimate QB.
both san fran AND dallas had DOMINATING offensive lines.

NJ-STEELER
12-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Dallas..yeah

san fran= dominating???? i wouldnt say that

like i said in the other post, i want to beef up the OL. i dont know why its a negative to have a dominant WR as well

Dee Dub
12-08-2010, 04:05 PM
i jerk his chain all the time about how he wanted to trade our entire draft for mike williams. he wanted to do something similiar for reggie bush too. you pap, are spot on.

Could you at least be fair? The issue with Mike Williams and me was I said I thought he would be better than Larry Fitzgerald. And there is no doubt I missed that one. I never said I would trade the Steelers entire draft. And on the Reggie Bush thing…you have me confused with Steelers43. I am not a Reggie Bush fan and never have been. Why would I be high on a guy who can’t run between the tackles who plays a postion that warrants it?

But if you say it enough it’ll stick.

Dee Dub
12-08-2010, 04:29 PM
If I ran the Steelers, it would be SOOOOOOO easy to be successful every year.

I would just come on this site and read Dee Dub's posts, and do the exact opposite.

Yeah like when I said the Steelers should draft Troy Polamalu or when I said the Steelers should draft Ben Roethlisberger and LaMarr Woodley before they even declared for the draft?

Or like while I was pimping Jordy Nelson over and over and then noticed his freshman QB at K-state play and saying one day this kid is going to be bonafide QB in the NFL?

I gottcha.

D Rock
12-08-2010, 08:06 PM
[quote="D Rock":23gogpsf]If I ran the Steelers, it would be SOOOOOOO easy to be successful every year.

Yeah like when I said the Steelers should draft Troy Polamalu or when I said the Steelers should draft Ben Roethlisberger and LaMarr Woodley before they even declared for the draft?

Or like while I was pimping Jordy Nelson over and over and then noticed his freshman QB at K-state play and saying one day this kid is going to be bonafide QB in the NFL?

I gottcha.[/quote:23gogpsf]

When you throw out enough names, you're gonna be right sometimes.

Dee Dub
12-08-2010, 09:03 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":1vksl2he][quote="D Rock":1vksl2he]If I ran the Steelers, it would be SOOOOOOO easy to be successful every year.

I gottcha.[/quote:1vksl2he]

When you throw out enough names, you're gonna be right sometimes.[/quote:1vksl2he]

Ok fair enough….how many have I missed on? A handful? So that “throwing out a enough names” you bring up would be pretty darn good numbers of being right wouldn’t it? :wink:

But I feel ya DRock. You have dislike in your heart for me and that is what motivates you when it comes to my posts.

I was once like that. Not anymore.

birtikidis
12-08-2010, 09:16 PM

Could you at least be fair? The issue with Mike Williams and me was I said I thought he would be better than Larry Fitzgerald. And there is no doubt I missed that one. I never said I would trade the Steelers entire draft. And on the Reggie Bush thing…you have me confused with Steelers43. I am not a Reggie Bush fan and never have been. Why would I be high on a guy who can’t run between the tackles who plays a postion that warrants it?

But if you say it enough it’ll stick.
I'm always "fair" and I always admit when I'm wrong. I was wrong (I think) about you and your love for bush.. but, the Williams stuff I'm 100% sure of.
don't worry man, I actually like you. I just like to give you a hard time.

NJ-STEELER
12-09-2010, 02:17 AM

Could you at least be fair? The issue with Mike Williams and me was I said I thought he would be better than Larry Fitzgerald. And there is no doubt I missed that one. I never said I would trade the Steelers entire draft. .

yeah, that was antrel rolle :wink:

no biggie though, just remembered who it was you were talking about

Doogie36
12-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Is it still time to get a WR??? LOL

ARE= Awesome Swann like catch
Hines= Awesome Swann like catch with Stallworth numbers
Wallace= Awesome Stallworth/Swann like Catch that ben just threw up for grabs. Not to mention the wildcat run, and the quick slant, and screen. He's HORRIBLE!! LOL
Brown= Looks good to me and made a key 3rd down catch I believe.

Big Ben getting KILLED!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmmmm............yeah lets get a WR instead of an OL!!! LOL.........yep that will help so much!

WR's are a dime a dozen and our average horrible WR's sure made some AWESOME plays yesterday!!!! Just imagine what they could do if Ben had 1 or 2 more seconds of time......Just imagine but yeah lets waste 10 million a year on Steve Smith! LOL