PDA

View Full Version : See James...it's not that hard

Shawn
12-06-2010, 12:28 PM
I know I will be in the great minority of Steeler fans on this one but I have no issue with the league cracking down on the use of the helmet during tacking. It should always be a flag in my book. Nothing good comes from the use of the helmet as a weapon. Is it fair, James has been the whipping boy and the league is inconsistant? No. Has he gotten some bad calls? Yes. With that said, we seen last night James take down the QB in a text book fashion. It's effective, and safer for both parties. Place the head to the side and drive through. It's not that hard. They teach you to tackle this way in the pee wee leagues.

I was encouraged to see James effective, and playing by the rules.

Crash
12-06-2010, 12:30 PM
They aren't cracking down on anyone. They are cracking down on Roger Goodell's favorite NFL cities biggest rival.

Three cheap shots on Ben in two weeks, no flags.

Shawn
12-06-2010, 12:33 PM
But, that isn't the point. I recognize the league has been inconsistent. The point is...James has been a whipping boy. He had better comply with the league rules. It's not that hard to not use the helmet as a weapon. Just tackle text book and the league can't fine or suspend him. We are going to need him.

Oviedo
12-06-2010, 12:36 PM
But, that isn't the point. I recognize the league has been inconsistent. The point is...James has been a whipping boy. He had better comply with the league rules. It's not that hard to not use the helmet as a weapon. Just tackle text book and the league can't fine or suspend him. We are going to need him.

:Agree

Makes no sense to :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

You won't win that argument until the Rooney's orchestrate Goodell's removal.

SidSmythe
12-06-2010, 12:38 PM
I'm for the cracking down on on these hits, but Goodell still sucks and has mismanaged the whole issue.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-06-2010, 12:40 PM
I wasn't taught to have my helmet to the side when tackling. I was taught to drive my facemask into the opponents chest, just like the Fitzpatrick hit. That was a textbook tackle according to all the coaches I ever had. Face up - Facemask to chest.

Regardless though....you are correct.....he has to tackle the way they want him to. He can still kick a QB's butt by hitting them with his shoulder and driving through them.

sentinel33
12-06-2010, 12:41 PM
no doubt about it. the heat turns up on goodell about the excessive fines he has levied out on harrison. so instead the refereeing is the instrument. that was a small execution. i mean ben is beat to sh!+ literally from head to toe now. Playing behind a patchwork offense and going into the game with a bad injury and then sustaining a blow to the face, giving him a broken nose. hat's off. it's a miracle that miller even was able to move after that hit. his head was almost ripped of his body. and the refs were fine with all of this. we have just seen the true character of this team. and really this has been there identity all year long. these dudes will fight through anything.

Tomlinator
12-06-2010, 12:46 PM
I know I will be in the great minority of Steeler fans on this one but I have no issue with the league cracking down on the use of the helmet during tacking. It should always be a flag in my book. Nothing good comes from the use of the helmet as a weapon. Is it fair, James has been the whipping boy and the league is inconsistant? No. Has he gotten some bad calls? Yes. With that said, we seen last night James take down the QB in a text book fashion. It's effective, and safer for both parties. Place the head to the side and drive through. It's not that hard. They teach you to tackle this way in the pee wee leagues.

Shawn, I don't think you are in the minority at all. I think we can all agree on player safety being important. But the rules are applied inconsistently.

I think the Harrison was playing within the rules on the hits on Campbell and Fitzpatrick (same type of hit that knocked out Farve earlier this year with no call). And I don't recall a helmet to helmet from him since that Cleveland game.

Jooser
12-06-2010, 01:01 PM
I wasn't taught to have my helmet to the side when tackling. I was taught to drive my facemask into the opponents chest, just like the Fitzpatrick hit. That was a textbook tackle according to all the coaches I ever had. Face up - Facemask to chest.

Regardless though....you are correct.....he has to tackle the way they want him to. He can still kick a QB's butt by hitting them with his shoulder and driving through them.

Me too. Text book hit back in the days of old. :Agree

plucko-steeler fan
12-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Well I kinda see now after last night game where Harrison can make a clean hit on the Q.B. . That is fine when you dont have a moving target and the QB is just standing straightup in the pocket. However in the open field of play when your ducking and dodging and make sudden moves this way or that way to make a play, its a little tough to position your head on the side. Those other fines fall under this category I think and was no fault of Harrison. Its a tough call cuz no one likes when anyone gets hurt. I was terrified when Heath got hit and there was no flag thrown. That was blatenly obvious and I was afraid for the worse after looking at that replay. ALso Ben has taken a few shots that should of been called. Ben played with Steeler Pride last night and I was impressed with his grit and determination while playing hurt. The whole team stepped up. Now we must focus on the Bengals and take care of business.

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
12-06-2010, 01:11 PM

Same here, but I agree as well he has to adjust.

ikestops85
12-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Well I kinda see now after last night game where Harrison can make a clean hit on the Q.B. . That is fine when you dont have a moving target and the QB is just standing straightup in the pocket. However in the open field of play when your ducking and dodging and make sudden moves this way or that way to make a play, its a little tough to position your head on the side. Those other fines fall under this category I think and was no fault of Harrison. Its a tough call cuz no one likes when anyone gets hurt. I was terrified when Heath got hit and there was no flag thrown. That was blatenly obvious and I was afraid for the worse after looking at that replay. ALso Ben has taken a few shots that should of been called. Ben played with Steeler Pride last night and I was impressed with his grit and determination while playing hurt. The whole team stepped up. Now we must focus on the Bengals and take care of business.

Now I'm going to join the minority because I didn't see a thing wrong with the hit on Heath. Heath was falling so his head went down low and it got hit. This was the same hit as Harrison delivered on Massaquoi from the Browns. So if you didn't think that hit was a penalty I don't think you can think this hit was one. I don't see those hits being avoided unless you make it illegal for the DBs to knock the ball loose from the receiver.

plucko-steeler fan
12-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Well pro bowler I see what your saying and your right. I guess I was thinking about how the league views those hits now . But yeah I see your point.

Shawn
12-06-2010, 01:42 PM

Me too. Text book hit back in the days of old. :Agree

I hear what you are saying. I was taught head to the side. But, facemask is very different than top of the head. And I agree, Harrison has gotten some bum calls no doubt about it.

Shawn
12-06-2010, 01:43 PM

Now I'm going to join the minority because I didn't see a thing wrong with the hit on Heath. Heath was falling so his head went down low and it got hit. This was the same hit as Harrison delivered on Massaquoi from the Browns. So if you didn't think that hit was a penalty I don't think you can think this hit was one. I don't see those hits being avoided unless you make it illegal for the DBs to knock the ball loose from the receiver.

The problem comes when you lead with the top of the helmet. When a player falls, bad accidents can happen. We just seen how quickly a guy's career, ability to walk and life can end.

birtikidis
12-06-2010, 01:44 PM
I don't think Harrison has had a single helmet to helmet hit all season. It was always defined as launching at the opponent or going with the crown of your helmet. None of his hits have been blatant helmet to helmet hits (like the one that Ward took, or the mayweather hit earlier this season). he always keeps his head up. those are textbook hits. now if they want to change that, they need to do it in the offseason so these guys can adjust to it. Changing it midseason in order to get your precious 18 game season is ludicrous and hypocritical.

Shawn
12-06-2010, 01:46 PM
I don't think Harrison has had a single helmet to helmet hit all season. It was always defined as launching at the opponent or going with the crown of your helmet. None of his hits have been blatant helmet to helmet hits (like the one that Ward took, or the mayweather hit earlier this season). he always keeps his head up. those are textbook hits. now if they want to change that, they need to do it in the offseason so these guys can adjust to it. Changing it midseason in order to get your precious 18 game season is ludicrous and hypocritical.

I believe the one on Cribbs was helmet to helmet.

birtikidis
12-06-2010, 02:00 PM

i think that was the closest one. imo though that is one of those hits that are nearly unavoidable. the guy ducks his head, and a split second later he gets hit.

papillon
12-06-2010, 02:13 PM

I agree and the league said that one was fine because Cribbs isn't a defenseless WR or quarterback. It's all BS, Cribbs was helmet to helmet, Massaquoai wasn't, Fitzpatrick was text book, Ben was facemasked twice, once when Ngata broke his nose and then in the 4th when Suggs was trying to sack him and no calls), Ward gets hit helmet to helmet, but he isn't a defenseless WR (WTF), it's so random and pathetic at the same time.

Pappy

steelblood
12-06-2010, 02:15 PM

The problem comes when you lead with the top of the helmet. When a player falls, bad accidents can happen. We just seen how quickly a guy's career, ability to walk and life can end.

I generally agree, but the innocuous hits on Brees and Fitzpatrick should not have been fined. 15 yard penalties are plenty for those sort of hits. There was nothing dangerous or egregious about either one. That was simply profiling. It is especially hard to take when our players are not protected and other players are fighting or punching after the whistle and getting the same sorts of fines.

I don't think you are as alone as you suppose. Harrison should simply try to not dip his head at the last moment. I think the main issue for most here is that they changed the rule midseason and have not been consistent in applying it. They say they look at each instance individually, and then they talk about Harrison as a repeat offender that bears watching. That does not inspire confidence. And, it is complete bull poop.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-06-2010, 08:35 PM

Why should James have to play by a set of rules that most other players don't?

This is bunk. When we lose a game because James is playing it "safe" and an opposing player slips away and makes a big play, I'm not going to feel better just because James followed the set of rules the Commissioner made for James. I doubt if you will, either.

Shawn
12-06-2010, 09:12 PM

Why should James have to play by a set of rules that most other players don't?

This is bunk. When we lose a game because James is playing it "safe" and an opposing player slips away and makes a big play, I'm not going to feel better just because James followed the set of rules the Commissioner made for James. I doubt if you will, either.

Just because it's applied inconsistently doesn't mean James should adhere to the rule. He is obviously being singled out. If he wants to keep his money and not be suspended then he needs to comply. It's that simple...fair and not fair is irrelevant.