PDA

View Full Version : No props for Ziggy Hood?

SteelTorch
12-06-2010, 11:12 AM
His performance was overshadowed by other game heroics, but I thought he had a very solid night! He had more tackles than anyone else on the D-line and registered a sack!

:tt2

Oviedo
12-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Hood has done a very good job standing in for Smith. Very little to find fault with.

Farfan
12-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Very solid... and improving :Cheers

grotonsteel
12-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Hood has been solid and improving with more snaps...

steelblood
12-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Hood's run stuffing is really improving. I think he's far exceeded expectations so far in replacing Smith.

The sack was an odd play. The guard stoned him at first and then sort of gave up on the play. In general, I think Hood's pass rushing is pretty weak.

feltdizz
12-06-2010, 02:02 PM
Hood's run stuffing is really improving. I think he's far exceeded expectations so far in replacing Smith.

The sack was an odd play. The guard stoned him at first and then sort of gave up on the play. In general, I think Hood's pass rushing is pretty weak.

can a guy get credit for a sack or what? :lol:

steelblood
12-06-2010, 02:07 PM

groton,

nice mock draft. I really like D. Love. If he improves his technique he could be very special. i like the way they move him from LT to RT during the game, that will pay dividends at the pro level. Alex Henry is a great kicker AND punter. I like most of the rest of that list as well.

aggiebones
12-06-2010, 03:12 PM
how many sacks does ASmith get per year? Not many, but that's not part of what he does.
Why do we expect Hood to get a bunch? He's learning a tough anchor position for the Steeler's defense. It isn't an overnight thing. He'll get better with each game, each snap he plays.
...or we're screwed :)

grotonsteel
12-06-2010, 05:00 PM

groton,

nice mock draft. I really like D. Love. If he improves his technique he could be very special. i like the way they move him from LT to RT during the game, that will pay dividends at the pro level. Alex Henry is a great kicker AND punter. I like most of the rest of that list as well.

Exactly. He plays RT as well as LT during the game. ARK running game is on the right side when Love plays at RT and Ryan Mallet is in Passing Mode when Love is at LT. Steelers love players who can play multiple position on O-line.

Love has played well in a very tough SEC Conf. I would not mind if Steelers pick him in RD 1 especially at 1.32 (borderline 2nd Rd player) even though Willie Colon and Max Starks are healthy.

Lets see how he does in the bowl game and combine as it is very early but yes i will be following him closely along with the other players mentioned in my mock draft.

steelblood
12-06-2010, 05:21 PM
how many sacks does ASmith get per year? Not many, but that's not part of what he does.
Why do we expect Hood to get a bunch? He's learning a tough anchor position for the Steeler's defense. It isn't an overnight thing. He'll get better with each game, each snap he plays.
...or we're screwed :)

I never said I expect Hood to get a bunch of sacks. However, Hood was a very good penetrating 4-3 linemen in college. He pressured the QB effectively. This was a natural skill set for him. In our nickel package (which we played a ton of last night), he can use these skills quite a bit. He has not shown the ability to consistently pressure the QB yet (which I hoped he would). We could really use an interior pass rusher on this team. Hood has the ability to fill that role in our nickel package. Last night's sack showed his quickness (something Smith does not possess). Smith and Hood are different players. I don't expect them to have success at exactly the same things. That would be a bit unfair. But, I do think that Hood could develop into our best nickel rusher (given his aptitudes).

Oviedo
12-06-2010, 05:39 PM

groton,

I like his mock too but damn I can't decide whether we need OL more or DB. Each week I think it is the latter as opposed to the former. Even though DB may be the greater need there is probably more value in drafting OL because rookies actually get to play their rookie years on the offensive side of the ball.

Henery will be gone before the end of Round 4.

Flasteel
12-06-2010, 06:23 PM

groton,

I like his mock too but damn I can't decide whether we need OL more or DB. Each week I think it is the latter as opposed to the former. Even though DB may be the greater need there is probably more value in drafting OL because rookies actually get to play their rookie years on the offensive side of the ball.

You take the BPA between the 2 positions. There's no way I'm going tackle though. Colon, Starks, and maybe even Flozell will be back healthy next year. We have far more serious and pressing issues inside...especially at RG.

That said, I'm hoping there is a semi-physical cover corner available when we pick...at 32. :D

steelblood
12-06-2010, 06:41 PM
I hear ya ovi. We'll go BPA as usual. But, a late first rounder at RG or CB could start from day one. FS and tackle will likely take a player a year of seasoning.

I don't know why folks keep assuming Colon will be back next season. He is not under contract. If there is a new CBA, he'll likely be a UFA. Also, that is a significant injury he had. There is no guarantee he'll be ready to go. As far Flozell goes, I don't know about him coming back either. He'll be 36, he's set to make 5 million, and has had to leave at least 4 games this season because of injury or dehydration. RT tackle is definitely a question mark. Even LT is a little up in the air. Neck injuries like Starks can be tricky. Drafting a guy like DeMarcus Love who can play RT or LT would be very smart. If we have starters at LT and RT, we could always let Love start his career at RG. You can't have too many quality players that can play tackle on your team (as we are learning this season). Most of those guys can also play guard (unless they are very tall/not stout enough).

costanza2k1
12-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Ziggy Hood has done well in run defense but in pass rushing we seem to be lacking some. It would seem Lamar Woodley's production has slipped since Smith went out. Hoping more game experience will allow him to pick up more blocker to allow our LBs to make plays.

SidSmythe
12-06-2010, 06:50 PM
People forget Ziggy was one pick away from being a 2nd rounder. So I'm not looking for him to be a superstar, but he's turning into a steady player.

grotonsteel
12-06-2010, 07:21 PM

groton,

You take the BPA between the 2 positions. There's no way I'm going tackle though. Colon, Starks, and maybe even Flozell will be back healthy next year. We have far more serious and pressing issues inside...especially at RG.

That said, I'm hoping there is a semi-physical cover corner available when we pick...at 32. :D

It really comes down to BPA and if Love is a better player than Pouncey or Ras-I-Dowling or Jimmy Smith i expect Steelers to draft Love and improve O-line.We will have to wait till combine to see who climbs the board and which players fall.

Except for RB/QB/TE/C/K/P i am okay with Steelers drafting any other position as long as he is a BPA.

hawaiiansteel
12-06-2010, 09:49 PM
I thought Ziggy played the best game of his young career last night... :tt2

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1129481/33038095E.jpg