PDA

View Full Version : Troy Smith > Joe Flacco

Lonbull
12-06-2010, 02:56 AM
In my humble opinion when the game is on the line - I was more concerned with the Ravens keeping Troy Smith than playing Joe Flacco.

First of all let me say that I'm certainly not an Ohio State Buckeye fan -

Secondly - I can't argue stats, because I'm sure Flacco has all of the numbers, and while I probably could find some obscure number to put into play....I would have to ignore the overwhelming numbers in favor of Flacco.

Third - I'm guessing that Joe Flacco has better physical ability when it comes to throwing the ball - probably with better accuracy and with a more powerful arm.

But what Joe Flacco doesn't have.....is a killer instinct - in more than one game I've seen Joe Flacco beaten.....before the fourth quarter has even started. He reminds me of Jim Everett or Drew Bledsoe.

Troy Smith is the kind of QB that I believe doesn't lose games....he just runs out of time. Much like our own #7 - And when he wasn't given a chance to succeed in Baltimore - I was happy to believe that was a mistake on the part of the Ravens.

4th & 2 and he short hops it to a wide open man in the flat...... :tt2

Tonight the Ravens let a hobbled, beaten up, out gunned team stick around until the 4th quarter....and when fate handed the game to our gunslinger - he found a way to win it. When it handed the ball back to their gunslinger.....he came up short, both literally and figuratively.

I only bring up Troy Smith because I believe if he's given a solid opportunity (meaning a training camp with the 49ers) he will be a tough guy to beat. And we'll look back and be thankful the Ravens didn't see his potential.

L.B.

hawaiiansteel
12-06-2010, 03:03 AM
I respectfully disagree.

Troy Smith would have never been able to do what Joe Flacco did to beat us at the end of the game in our first meeting.

sd steel
12-06-2010, 03:04 AM
In my humble opinion when the game is on the line - I was more concerned with the Ravens keeping Troy Smith than playing Joe Flacco.

First of all let me say that I'm certainly not an Ohio State Buckeye fan -

Secondly - I can't argue stats, because I'm sure Flacco has all of the numbers, and while I probably could find some obscure number to put into play....I would have to ignore the overwhelming numbers in favor of Flacco.

Third - I'm guessing that Joe Flacco has better physical ability when it comes to throwing the ball - probably with better accuracy and with a more powerful arm.

But what Joe Flacco doesn't have.....is a killer instinct - in more than one game I've seen Joe Flacco beaten.....before the fourth quarter has even started. He reminds me of Jim Everett or Drew Bledsoe.

Troy Smith is the kind of QB that I believe doesn't lose games....he just runs out of time. Much like our own #7 - And when he wasn't given a chance to succeed in Baltimore - I was happy to believe that was a mistake on the part of the Ravens.

4th & 2 and he short hops it to a wide open man in the flat...... :tt2

Tonight the Ravens let a hobbled, beaten up, out gunned team stick around until the 4th quarter....and when fate handed the game to our gunslinger - he found a way to win it. When it handed the ball back to their gunslinger.....he came up short, both literally and figuratively.

I only bring up Troy Smith because I believe if he's given a solid opportunity (meaning a training camp with the 49ers) he will be a tough guy to beat. And we'll look back and be thankful the Ravens didn't see his potential.

L.B.

Were you feeling the same way when Flacco beat us in the first game? Troy smith will have an occassional good game, but Alex Smith has had them as well, Flacco doesn't worry me, but he has beat the Steelers...... and I can't say as much for Troy.

Lonbull
12-06-2010, 03:20 AM
Were you feeling the same way when Flacco beat us in the first game? Troy smith will have an occassional good game, but Alex Smith has had them as well, Flacco doesn't worry me, but he has beat the Steelers...... and I can't say as much for Troy.

SD Steel - The Ravens barely beat us and we were starting Charlie Batch, so yes in some ways I was thinking that at the end of the game.....however I was primarily seething at losing to the Ravens - I'm sure you understand.

With that first game though - Flacco needed two opportunities - one where he drove the field and came up short on a 4th & 2 (sound familiar ?) at our endzone. With 55 seconds left in the game he threw a solid pass to T.J. and beat our normally stout defense....I'm primarily stating that I think Flacco is the kind of Quarterback who goes out "not" to lose games - instead of out to win them.

In contrast I think if Troy Smith is given time and talent - he'll prove to be a more dangerous competitor....I believe that he's more tenacious, and I believe he's the kind of guy that finds a way to win.

L.B.

Lonbull
12-06-2010, 03:22 AM
I respectfully disagree.

Classy response - I mean that.

Troy Smith would have never been able to do what Joe Flacco did to beat us at the end of the game in our first meeting.

Oh yeah?!?!?!!! :moon

(I kid).

L.B.

SidSmythe
12-06-2010, 08:30 AM
I think Farrior should get more credit for that short pass on 4th and 2.

Flacco did a great job of looking at option #1/2 and then knowing he had to go backside to the flat, he turned and let the ball go.
Farrior got up in the air and I think he obstructed Flacco's view and throw.

If Farrior doesn't make that effort, Flacco completes that pass.

proudpittsburgher
12-06-2010, 08:40 AM
I'll start by sayign that I think Joe Flacco is better than Troy Smith.

That being said . . .

I remember in the highlight package of the AFC title game, Ray Lewis was heard on the sidelines saying, "Joe Flacco becomes a star tonight." Hasn't happened, and never will.

Flacco is a solid QB, nothing more. If "it" were a stat, he would come up short, just like last night. He is not Ben, and IMO will never be Ben.

Ghost
12-06-2010, 09:28 AM

Flacco did a great job of looking at option #1/2 and then knowing he had to go backside to the flat, he turned and let the ball go.

Great point and I think it's being overlooked.

papillon
12-06-2010, 09:32 AM

Actually, I think Flacco assumed that Boldin was going to be open because he had beaten Mcfadden all night long. When he looked right and Boldin wasn't open I think he panicked a bit, he knew where to go, but hurried the throw and Farrior made a nice play and the result is one in the dirt.

I don't know if the Steelers knew what they wanted to do or simply guessed right on who to cover, but shutting down option 1 immediately caused Flacco to short arm the throw, IMO.

Pappy

steelfin
12-06-2010, 09:38 AM
Not by a long shot...Would you have posted this if we had lost the game? I don't get it....

SteelTorch
12-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Flacco is a good QB. However, that is as high as I would rate him. He isn't great, and I would certainly not call him elite. Plus, I think he's benefitted by having a great WR corps this season, including Mason who is probably the most underrated WR in the league.

Lonbull
12-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Not by a long shot...Would you have posted this if we had lost the game? I don't get it....

Steelfin - Had the Steelers lost last night, I wouldn't have posted much of anything.

That being said - I've thought this for sometime now (since watching Troy Smith in Preseason games / and especially when the Ravens released him).

Also it's not like Troy Smith lit it up against the Packers this past weekend - he lost as well.

I just think that Troy Smith is a quarterback that won't quit on you and will keep fighting until the final whistle blows. I think Joe Flacco lacks a certain mental toughness / competitiveness. I'm not saying Flacco is a bad quarterback - I didn't used to say that Jim Everett or Drew Bledsoe were bad quarterbacks......

With Troy Smith now getting some snaps in San Francisco I just thought it was an opportunity to compare the two as they continue to develop.

L.B.

feltdizz
12-06-2010, 03:57 PM

Actually, I think Flacco assumed that Boldin was going to be open because he had beaten Mcfadden all night long. When he looked right and Boldin wasn't open I think he panicked a bit, he knew where to go, but hurried the throw and Farrior made a nice play and the result is one in the dirt.

I don't know if the Steelers knew what they wanted to do or simply guessed right on who to cover, but shutting down option 1 immediately caused Flacco to short arm the throw, IMO.

Pappy

In the presser he said those exact words... He was looking to Boldin and when he wasn't open he made the throw in the flat but said he didn't open his hips enough.

I will give credit to whoever was on Boldin because that sealed it.

Shawn
12-06-2010, 07:31 PM

SD Steel - The Ravens barely beat us and we were starting Charlie Batch, so yes in some ways I was thinking that at the end of the game.....however I was primarily seething at losing to the Ravens - I'm sure you understand.

With that first game though - Flacco needed two opportunities - one where he drove the field and came up short on a 4th & 2 (sound familiar ?) at our endzone. With 55 seconds left in the game he threw a solid pass to T.J. and beat our normally stout defense....I'm primarily stating that I think Flacco is the kind of Quarterback who goes out "not" to lose games - instead of out to win them.

In contrast I think if Troy Smith is given time and talent - he'll prove to be a more dangerous competitor....I believe that he's more tenacious, and I believe he's the kind of guy that finds a way to win.

L.B.

Everyone knows I am an OSU homer. But, I think I am fairly even handed when evaluating OSU talent. Troy wasn't the most physical specimen but you assess correctly...he is a winner. He is highly competitive and seems to only get better in stressful situations. Some of his biggest games were in the biggest games. When the Ravens got him it scared me.

DukieBoy
12-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Troy Smith > Joe Flacco >> Mark Sanchez

who (unfortunately) is getting schooled by the Cheats so far tonight.

Lonbull
12-06-2010, 10:45 PM
Troy wasn't the most physical specimen but you assess correctly...he is a winner. He is highly competitive and seems to only get better in stressful situations. Some of his biggest games were in the biggest games. When the Ravens got him it scared me.

Shawn - Another thing I really like about Troy is that he's probably more mature and more prepared to do the work necessary to start in this league than a lot of other guys. Simply because he got himself in trouble early in this career - and is having to fight for a chance to play in the NFL.

I'm hopeful that the 49ers give him a full training camp and a chance to start next season.

However I guess there's a chance -

They could draft yet another rookie QB

They could fire Singletary (which I believe is a mistake, but I can also understand why the 49ers would do it).

And of course there is a chance there could be no football next season - :x

L.B.

NJ-STEELER
12-07-2010, 01:05 AM

Pappy

In the presser he said those exact words... He was looking to Boldin and when he wasn't open he made the throw in the flat but said he didn't open his hips enough.

I will give credit to whoever was on Boldin because that sealed it.

Mcfadden was on him

aggiebones
12-07-2010, 01:16 AM
Without bothering to read all this, its a bit unfair to try and compare 2 guys after one just had his arse handed to him. Has Troy Smith had to play the Steelers? No and they'd beast F him too.
He's VERY mediocre and will be back on a bench very soon, where he belongs.

hawaiiansteel
12-07-2010, 02:04 AM
Alex Smith is back in the saddle

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 6, 2010, 10:33 PM EST

Mike Singletary and Alex Smith are going to save the 49ers season or go down together. It only seems appropriate.

After meeting with his offensive coaches, Singletary has chosen Alex Smith as the team’s starting quarterback for this week’s game against the Seahawks, according to NFL Network’s Jason La Canfora.

Troy Smith seemed to give the 49ers a spark as a starter, and won three of his five starts. But Troy Smith’s knowledge of the offense was limited because he joined the team in-season and his accuracy was getting shakier by the week.

The 49ers are just about out of the NFC West race, but they would still have a chance to win the division if they won all three of their remaining division games. First up: the Seahawks this Sunday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... he-saddle/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/06/alex-smith-is-back-in-the-saddle/)

Lonbull
12-07-2010, 02:29 AM
hawaiiansteel -

I was just looking at Troy's stats when I saw this same news about him being benched for Alex Smith - we'll see what happens in the off-season - I'm concerned that Singletary could end up getting fired and who knows what the 49ers are going to do at that point regarding the Quarterback position - that is of course if the NFL doesn't go on strike next year.

:HeadBanger

L.B.

hawaiiansteel
12-07-2010, 02:40 AM
hawaiiansteel -

I was just looking at Troy's stats when I saw this same news about him being benched for Alex Smith - we'll see what happens in the off-season - I'm concerned that Singletary could end up getting fired and who knows what the 49ers are going to do at that point regarding the Quarterback position - that is of course if the NFL doesn't go on strike next year.

:HeadBanger

L.B.

Mike Singletary is one of my favorite all-time non-Steelers players...but to tie your future to Alex Smith, I'm not too sure he's cut out to be a head coach.

nevertheless, I hope the 49ers give Mike every chance to turn things around.

RuthlessBurgher
12-09-2010, 08:25 PM
A Troy Smith vs. Joe Flacco debate...that really doesn't interest me. All I care about is that:

Ben Roethlisberger>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Joe Flacco

With similar rosters over the past few years, the difference between these teams has boiled down to Ben vs. Joe. Every time they have faced off, no matter where it is, Ben has come out on top. Joe's victories over the Steelers were against Charlie Batch or Dennis Dixon. The last time a Raven team beat a Steeler team in which Ben actually played was in 2006, when Steve McNair was the QB in Baltimore, and Flacco was still enrolled at nearby Delaware.