PDA

View Full Version : LeBeau - out of his funk?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-06-2010, 01:21 AM
Really, it seemed like he brought the house A LOT more than he has for the past few months. And really there didn't seem to be as much of the dreaded prevent D-LeBeau cushion.

Will this this be like the movies, where the good guy comes back?

MicroBioSteel
12-06-2010, 01:23 AM
Ding Dong the 10 yard cushion is dead! If we play NE in the playoffs this strategy better be seen once more!

papillon
12-06-2010, 01:26 AM
Be careful what ask for if Joe Flacco can exploit the cover zero and cover 1 defense I'm pretty sure Brady will be able to do the same thing. Lebeau like any good coordinator calls plays based on the opponent.

Pappy

MicroBioSteel
12-06-2010, 01:30 AM
Pap I respect but we know all know how 10 yrd cushions work against NE. Maybe an unpredictable mix would be best but tonight showed that we can play bump and run. In 2005 we threw an offensive change up against Indy. Maybe in 2010 we can throw a defensive change-up. I think we need to.

pick6
12-06-2010, 02:43 AM
an unpredictable mix would be awesome against the cheats. we have the personnel to show one thing presnap and come with something all together different. and have you noticed that
when we bring the corner blitz good things happen. bringing at least 1 corner seems to be working.

birtikidis
12-06-2010, 03:15 AM
I think the injury to Miller really pissed some of our guys off. They know they're being targeted now and there isn't any doubt. so they just brought it every play. penalties, fines and suspsensions be damned

NJ-STEELER
12-06-2010, 03:20 AM
im surprised he doesn't have a serious neck injury

what a dirty, wicked hit

hawaiiansteel
12-06-2010, 03:22 AM
Pap I respect but we know all know how 10 yrd cushions work against NE. Maybe an unpredictable mix would be best but tonight showed that we can play bump and run.

I'm not sure that Bryant McFadden showed that he can play bump and run, let alone CB in the NFL.

Oviedo
12-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Two 60+ yard completions on third down is still pretty funky to me. Once gain to ignore the facts that we were saved only by a great play by Troy...again.

What is the nonsense of taking Timmons off the field for an extra DB. And anyone wonders why we aren't getting to the QB??????????

Eddie Spaghetti
12-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Two 60+ yard completions on third down is still pretty funky to me. Once gain to ignore the facts that we were saved only by a great play by Troy...again.

What is the nonsense of taking Timmons off the field for an extra DB. And anyone wonders why we aren't getting to the QB??????????

would you please drop this already. the defense that you criticize EVERY week gave up 10 points to a rats offense that is loaded with weapons.

NEWSFLASH- you don't know more about defense than dick lebeau. your posts are tiring as hell on this subject.

ANPSTEEL
12-06-2010, 12:26 PM
I read that Timmons has a hip pointer- and it severely limits his mobility and speed, which is why he has been coming off in the nickle.

Oviedo
12-06-2010, 12:29 PM

would you please drop this already. the defense that you criticize EVERY week gave up 10 points to a rats offense that is loaded with weapons.

NEWSFLASH- you don't know more about defense than bad word lebeau. your posts are tiring as hell on this subject.

NEWSFLASH--no one on this board knows more than anyone working for the Steelers right now in any capacity. You included. By you standard we should just shut down all discussion correct???? Or do you reserve a special category for yourself that you do know more threfore only your comments are valid?

Eddie Spaghetti
12-06-2010, 12:37 PM
i'm not the one who derides our DC as "saint lebeau" and criticizes everything from his gameplans, schemes, and ability to get players on the field. not once or twice, but EVERY SINGLE WEEK.

only you would find fault with giving up 10 points ON THE ROAD to your biggest rival.

NWNewell
12-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Really, it seemed like he brought the house A LOT more than he has for the past few months. And really there didn't seem to be as much of the dreaded prevent D-LeBeau cushion.

Will this this be like the movies, where the good guy comes back?

When did D-LeBeau ever call a prevent defense when trailing or ahead by 3 points?

I saw plenty of 5-10 yard CB cushions last night. Taylor typically plays closer to the line, but BMac and the rest were typically giving cushions. Not a huge difference.

Funny how results influence perception.

feltdizz
12-06-2010, 03:27 PM

NEWSFLASH- you don't know more about defense than bad word lebeau. your posts are tiring as hell on this subject.

we usually keep Baltimore to low scores...

I think Ovie has a valid point... how many 3rd and longs did they convert on us? How many INT's did we have? We beat the Ravens because Flacco threw short to a wide open WR on 4th down.

I'm happy we won but dude... the DB's are horrible.

Sugar
12-06-2010, 03:38 PM

we usually keep Baltimore to low scores...

I think Ovie has a valid point... how many 3rd and longs did they convert on us? How many INT's did we have? We beat the Ravens because Flacco threw short to a wide open WR on 4th down.

I'm happy we won but dude... the DB's are horrible.

They may be horrible, but 10 points to your bitter rival? I'll take that every Sunday!

Eddie Spaghetti
12-06-2010, 03:54 PM
the "lazy boy experts" want gaudy stats and 4 picks every week. the coaches want wins over losses.

what is our record again?

papillon
12-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Pap I respect but we know all know how 10 yrd cushions work against NE. Maybe an unpredictable mix would be best but tonight showed that we can play bump and run. In 2005 we threw an offensive change up against Indy. Maybe in 2010 we can throw a defensive change-up. I think we need to.

And all I'm saying is playing a cover 0 or cover 1 against Tom Brady may only get you beat with quicker drives rather than getting slowly cut up and spit out. Brady is a pretty good quarterback that I think would adjust to what the Steelers are doing.

You're right, a mix of coverage and blitzing to at least try to keep him off balance and begin to think rather than react. He's a d@mn good quarterback and right now he has the Steelers' number.

Pappy

BradshawsHairdresser
12-06-2010, 11:43 PM
I'm quite sure that LeBeau has learned a lot more about football than I have.

Which makes the way he is running this D all the more puzzling.

Yeah, we held the Gayvens to 10 points...but they have a crappy offense. We shoulda been able to pitch a shutout.

And but for a weak-ar$$ed throw by Flacco on 4th down, when he had a receiver wide open, we might have ended up giving up another score--and losing the game.

SteelAbility
12-07-2010, 12:05 AM
It's really very simple. Rush 5 men minimum and the percentages tip heavily in your favor. They tip extra heavy with the personnel we have. Plus it masks Bmac's weaknesses, which is an absolute must. The 5+ man pass rush impairs both the QB's decision making and his accuracy.

Maybe this has finally dawned on LeBeau.

In the NE game, we rushed 5 or 6 men maybe 4 times :roll: and they got a 10 yard completion once. The other times it was either a sack or nothing.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-07-2010, 12:41 AM
Yeah, we held the Gayvens to 10 points...but they have a crappy offense. We shoulda been able to pitch a shutout.

totally ridiculous statement.

the rats rank 12th in the league in total offense. make no mistake, they have some weapons.

a shutout???

:lol:

BradshawsHairdresser
12-07-2010, 12:45 AM

totally ridiculous statement.

the rats rank 12th in the league in total offense. make no mistake, they have some weapons.

a shutout???

:lol:

Yeah...with the right calls last night, I think we could have kept them from scoring.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-07-2010, 12:55 AM
that is absolutely absurd.

the rats had not lost at home all year. flacco coming in was working on a 18 TD-3 Int 6 week stretch and everyone knew the division was on the line. and you think we could have pitched a shutout.

give the other guys a little credit. they get paid just like the steelers.

NJ-STEELER
12-07-2010, 01:03 AM
the Ravens OL and wide outs are much better then ours

TE and Rbs are probably even with McClain out now

ben > flacco is what helps us out, but i dont think flacco sucks either

pepsyman1
12-07-2010, 01:30 AM
As a whole, I thought Lebeau called a more aggressive game. We still showed some large cushions and some of those long 3rd downs those cushions were TOO big (especially by Bmac, but he was getting beat playing soft and playing tight) and we allowed some discouraging conversions. But most of the game we played well, stayed aggressive. There were many plays where just about everyone except the safeties were within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage...ready to play bump and run while the pass rush tried to get to Flacco. A lot of those times we backed off into coverage, but THAT is part of what our zone blitz system is SUPPOSED TO DO. We don't have to blitz all the time, but we have to make them unsure of when we are actually coming and from where. Other than Bmac's lame coverage on a few plays and that stupid PI penalty for pushing the receiver before the ball arrived I thought it was a great defensive game for our team.

ikestops85
12-07-2010, 12:35 PM
We were definitely more aggressive against the Ravens than we have been in past games. Not only did we blitz more but the DBs were in press coverage at times. Although I did notice the DBs started doing that more against Buffalo the previous week.

I'm just glad to see us changing it up. I was tired of seeing the "death by 1000 cuts" that our defense has been playing. The QBs are too good anymore to hope they will make a mistake during a 10-14 play drive.

As far as the big plays go, we can't have it both ways. We either play soft to prevent the big plays or we press and risk getting burned by them. We got burned by a few but luckily they came when the Ravens were deep in their own end of the field. I'd prefer to see us stay aggressive and get burned deep every now and again.

feltdizz
12-07-2010, 12:43 PM
We were definitely more aggressive against the Ravens than we have been in past games. Not only did we blitz more but the DBs were in press coverage at times. Although I did notice the DBs started doing that more against Buffalo the previous week.

I'm just glad to see us changing it up. I was tired of seeing the "death by 1000 cuts" that our defense has been playing. The QBs are too good anymore to hope they will make a mistake during a 10-14 play drive.

As far as the big plays go, we can't have it both ways. We either play soft to prevent the big plays or we press and risk getting burned by them. We got burned by a few but luckily they came when the Ravens were deep in their own end of the field. I'd prefer to see us stay aggressive and get burned deep every now and again.

we have been burned 3 times in the last 2 weeks but luckily the Buffalo WR dropped the game winner.

I like seeing the DB's press the WR's and I think our game plan was much better but I still have worries about this secondary against a good QB. Sanchez is not a good QB so that helps... but come playoff time the Pats will be a problem.

ikestops85
12-07-2010, 12:53 PM

we have been burned 3 times in the last 2 weeks but luckily the Buffalo WR dropped the game winner.

I like seeing the DB's press the WR's and I think our game plan was much better but I still have worries about this secondary against a good QB. Sanchez is not a good QB so that helps... but come playoff time the Pats will be a problem.

Yep, you are right. A good QB is a problem for us. We have to face the fact that overall, our DBs are not very good. I think DL knows this and that is why he has been trying to protect them by playing with the cushion more and not blitzing as much. It just got to the point where good QBs were picking that apart so he tried a new tactic.

Hopefully the DBs can learn/adjust and not give up as many big plays.
Either way our key is pressuring the QB on every down. If we can't maintain pressure our DBs get beat. If we let the QB extend the play our DBs get beat.

It's PRESSURE, PRESSURE, PRESSURE!!!

spyboots
12-07-2010, 01:16 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 12537.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_712537.html)

LeBeau Made the Right Call: Listening to his Players

Players play and coaches coach, but Steelers defensive captain James Farrior and his teammates had seen enough Sunday night.

No more sitting back and taking it.

Enough with Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco picking the secondary clean like a leftover Thanksgiving turkey. If the Steelers were going to win the AFC North, someone was going to have to take a bullet for the rest of the team.

Someone was going to have to tell defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau to call more blitzes.

Who better than Farrior? He's one of four co-captains and old enough (35) not to care what people think.

It wasn't easy for a popular veteran like Farrior to make suggestions to his coach, especially during a game. To Farrior, though, the alternative of losing was too unflattering to consider.

"We definitely felt we could get some good pressure. We just had to get the right calls in,'' Farrior said in the afterglow of the Steelers' gritty 13-10 win.

"That's what our guys were preaching on the sideline to the coaches. If we were gonna go down, we were gonna go down blitzing. We definitely didn't want to sit back. Coach LeBeau listened to us.''

In the first half, Flacco had his way with the Steelers. He navigated the longest scoring drive of his NFL career -- 92 yards. He completed passes of 61 and 67 yards and was 9 of 14 for 179 yards and a touchdown with a 131.5 passer rating.

Other than a first-quarter sack by defensive end Ziggy Hood, Flacco was rarely under duress. He was on his way to another score and a career game when momentum shifted.

On third-and-15 from the Steelers 32 in the second quarter, cornerback Ike Taylor caught Baltimore with a surprise blitz and sacked Flacco for an 11-yard loss. The play knocked Baltimore out of scoring position. Instead of trailing 14-0 or even 10-0 at halftime, the Steelers faced only a 7-0 deficit.

In the second half, the tables turned. The Steelers had their way with Flacco, who was 8 of 19 for 87 yards with a 65.8 passer rating, mainly due to a better pass rush making it difficult for him to step into his throws.

With LeBeau dealing out blitzes like a blackjack dealer shuffles cards, the Steelers overwhelmed Flacco with pressure.

"When you dial up the blitz, it's usually hit or miss,'' Taylor said. "We hit (Sunday) night.''

That's a gamble outside linebacker James Harrison wants to take more often.

"I'm of the feeling if you're gonna kill me, kill me at what I like to do and that's blitz,'' said Harrison, the Steelers' sack leader this season with 10.

"In earlier weeks, we were dropping in coverage (instead of blitzing). At the end of the Buffalo game last week, we dropped a whole lot more. This game we brought a lot more pressure than we did in the first (Baltimore) game.''

Flacco threw the decisive 18-yard touchdown pass to T.J. Houshmandzadeh with 34 seconds left in the Ravens' 17-14 win over the Steelers on Oct. 3. The Steelers didn't blitz on the play, and Flacco was free to throw without pressure.

Two months later, the Steelers defense didn't repeat that mistake when Flacco faced second-and-5 at the Baltimore 43 late in the fourth quarter.

Trailing 10-6, the Steelers' defense needed to make a big play or lose any realistic chance of winning the division.

Strong safety Troy Polamalu delivered, sacking Flacco from the blind side and forcing a fumble that led to the Steelers' winning touchdown.

"We felt like we could disrupt, get in Flacco's face, if they gave us an opportunity,'' said Farrior, who recorded a team-high seven tackles and sacked Flacco in the fourth quarter.

"We don't question Coach LeBeau and the decisions he makes. Sometimes we just try to throw something out there and maybe he'll listen. Everybody has their own idea what we should be doing, but he's the guy.''

A smart guy, to be sure. Great coaches aren't too big to listen to their players. To his credit, LeBeau listened.