PDA

View Full Version : New weapon: David Johnson?

Herewegosteelers!
12-05-2010, 10:58 PM
He's making some plays out there tonight. One of the few so far at the half.

hawaiiansteel
12-05-2010, 11:09 PM
He's making some plays out there tonight. One of the few so far at the half.

yeah, he gets my vote as first half offensive MVP which is the same as saying you're the tallest person at a dwarf convention.

Smashmouth
12-05-2010, 11:51 PM
Reminded me of Eric Green. A little.

Iron Shiek
12-06-2010, 12:30 AM
Redman is our unheralded secret weapon, casual fans don't know about.

But Johnson has the makings of a decent player.

Shoe
12-06-2010, 01:53 AM
Redman is our unheralded secret weapon, casual fans don't know about.

I really hope Redman continues to work on his game AND STAYS WITH THE STEELERS LONG-TERM. (I don't wanna see this kid leave because he is buried behind Mendenhall.) Because he has real talent... Maybe not as some elite RB, but he certainly brings some very nice qualities to the table. He reminds me of tough Steeler RBs of the past like Frank Pollard. Barry Foster a bit too.

Anyway, I hope he develops his blocking, his blitz pick-up, his pass-catching... anything that'll let him coexist with Mendenhall as the likely starter for a while.

NJ-STEELER
12-06-2010, 01:57 AM
didn't know he had hands like that

see ya spaeth.

no reason to pay him close to a Million per season draft another TE late.. can find some good ones there

dickson, pitta, boss, finley, hernandez, bynam

NWNewell
12-06-2010, 09:35 AM
When we first drafted him, I thought this was how he would be used.

With the hybrid FB/TE body type, I figured he would be a player BA would be willing to use him as a multi-threat FB (since BA doesn't like to take receivers off the field for blockers). Someone who could lead block, motion from FB to TE and back, and be able to catch the ball out of the backfield.

I'm just surprised it took this long to use him in the passing game.

skyhawk
12-06-2010, 07:34 PM

Same here. I said that out loud last night!

msp26505
12-06-2010, 07:37 PM

Minus the coke.

jj28west
12-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Props to Johnson. Given the circumstance with Spaeth & Heath going down he rose to the adversity.

Chavezz
12-06-2010, 07:52 PM
Johnson made the catches last night but that hasn't been him MO in his tenure with the Steelers. I don't know the number or can't reference particular games but there have been several times that I recall him dropping passes.

Lets not get too excited.

Redman? Yes. Get excited. I loved the guy after he was drafted. I figured that it would take him a year to adjust from Bowie State but go back and look at his college highlight reels. He's a player.

I'll tell you what's holding him back, Mike Tomlin. His rookie year he was asked about training camp by a reporter and he responding by saying something like "What" you mean Camp Cupcake"? Tomlin was asked about it and he wasn't happy. At All.

As I recall the next preseason game he game Redman the bulk of the carries but he wouldn't let him come out for a breather. Finally when he did Tomlin lit into him.

If Redman can get out of the doghouse and then "get the details" he's going to be a prime time player imo.

I'm a big fan.

LordVile
12-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Yeah, DJ looked pretty powerful at there.. Like he could take a hit. Good hands, indeed.

SidSmythe
12-06-2010, 08:01 PM
I was shocked to see Johnson making some big catches last night. I saw him in training camp and he was about as smooth as a rock pile catching the ball and running routes.