PDA

View Full Version : Please leave troy back in coverage

Mel Blount's G
12-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Which is where he's been most of the year. Clark cannot keep up on the deep middle stuff so if troy and the blitz do not get to the qb a big play is gonna result. Exhhbit A -> with the felons backed right up we send troy in and they lobb it over our D and Clark for 60 yards in a 3rd and about 16 situation. Gonna have to keep using Timmons as the monster man 'cause Troy's priority unfortunately needs to be in our D backfield wreaking havoc on pass attempts

RuthlessBurgher
12-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Troy has made multiple plays in the backfield so far. Back in coverage, he was trying to double team Boldin with BMac, and Anquan got wide open in the end zone for the TD. With Troy, you need to vary things up. Not always in the box, not always back in coverage. Keep 'em guessing.

hawaiiansteel
12-05-2010, 10:19 PM
man, Ryan Clark is slowwww...

Smashmouth
12-05-2010, 10:33 PM
.........anybody in coverage? :wft

Mel Blount's G
12-05-2010, 10:36 PM
McFadden and Gay. Gay and McFadden. Deshea was better than both of them put together I think

Ghost
12-05-2010, 10:53 PM
On the long play to Stallworth, Troy guessed and came in. It was a bad guess.

Shawn
12-05-2010, 11:57 PM
McFadden can't cover Bolden. He needs help from someone that is for sure. I don't know if I have ever been as wrong about a player than I was about McFadden. I don't remember him being this bad before he left for AZ.

But, I say we keep Troy back in coverage until the Ravens get in the redzone. Then we should turn him loose.

hawaiiansteel
12-06-2010, 12:37 AM
I would just have Troy come on a blitz and strip Flacco to set up the game winning TD.

but that's just me... :lol:

Shawn
12-06-2010, 12:39 AM
I would just have Troy come on a blitz and strip Flacco to set up the game winning TD.

but that's just me... :lol:

Nice. :lol:

I suppose that's why we don't coach. :D

Mel Blount's G
12-06-2010, 12:44 AM
[quote="hawaiiansteel"]I would just have Troy come on a blitz and strip Flacco to set up the game winning TD.

but that's just me... :lol:[/quote
Yup, there it is. For every 3-4 bombs down the middle that the opposition will get, we will get troy doing something like that. I've always said, he's like the Ben of the Defense. Sometimes you hate their defiance of sound basics, but then you love it when they pull a magic trick out of their hats to win it. However, part of the old argument of not blitzing troy so often was that he was getting injured, though I'm not sure that I'd agree that blitzing had anything to do with his injuries.

MicroBioSteel
12-06-2010, 01:18 AM
Thread of the year nomination!

steelblood
12-06-2010, 10:02 AM
yeah, it is pretty funny. obviously keeping him at the line was huge.

i would have had troy cover boldin in man more. he made some bad decisions in zone and hung mcfadden out to dry on one of the long passes.

papillon
12-06-2010, 10:08 AM
On the NFLN Mairucci said he would play Polamalu anywhere from 7-8 yards off the line of scrimmage and use all of his tremendous athletic ability to cover, to run blitz and to pass blitz. I guess Lebeau still has a clue about playing defense in the NFL. :P

Pappy

NorthCoast
12-06-2010, 01:59 PM
Rooting for Troy is exactly like rooting for Ben. Improvises throughout a game, but in the end always seems to come up with a gamechanger at some point. We have to take his 'guessed wrongs' with the guessed rights. Tomlin said something to the effect: "Troy sees the game differently than others..which makes him a special player".

ikestops85
12-06-2010, 02:16 PM
On the NFLN Mairucci said he would play Polamalu anywhere from 7-8 yards off the line of scrimmage and use all of his tremendous athletic ability to cover, to run blitz and to pass blitz. I guess Lebeau still has a clue about playing defense in the NFL. :P

Pappy

You got that right. I loved how he has changed the last couple of weeks. Last week we had some plays where we were in press coverage. This week we did the same thing and we also were much more aggressive blitzing. Way to go DL!! :Cheers

pick6
12-06-2010, 02:33 PM
yeah the tomlin qoute was spot on and just to illustrate the idea, compare him to ike taylor. both very physically gifted and can play their respective positions in standard general terms. But look at the sense of urgency that poly has as opposed to ike. dont get me wrong i like ike but when you come free on blitzes be prepared to bat the ball ala keisel ( that was huge). he just runs in and if the qb gets rid of it then so be it. we are going to start seeing alot more corner blitzes for the remainder of the year because the success rate of those few we have used thus far is 70%-80%. they work. our corners will have to start to maximize those opportunities. Gay did bat one down against the raiders after i screamed at the screen. maybe he heard me. haha.

but poly always steps up and tries to make a play based on what he has seen. look at the buffalo game, he recognized the tendency and started jumping the routes that we were getting killed with against the cheats.