PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Offense Now Balanced

NorthCoast
12-05-2010, 10:20 AM
The Good:
For the season, the Steelers are ranked 2nd in the league in rush attempt % at 50.1% so BA has accomplished what he was told to do. (Footnote: except in the last 3 games we have been "pass-happy" with Ben, where we had 43.3% rushing).

Another piece of good news for the O: we are 3rd in rushing 1st down percentage at 40.4% behind Jacksonville and KC. This is a huge improvement over last season's average of just 29% rushing 1st downs.

The Steelers are 2nd in the league behind San Diego in yds/pass attempt at 7.6 (SD=8.5). I think I read somewhere that it is almost an historical lock for the playoffs when this number > 8 YPA.

The Bad:
Remember our frustrations last season with our poor red zone scoring. It has not changed. We are ranked 20th at 48.4% red zone scoring (only marginally better than last season's avg of 48.2%). This could be due to the fact that we just don't get into the red zone very often (2.8 times per game) but how do you explain Detroit's #1 rank in red zone scoring at 71% with the same number of attempts per game?

The Steelers defense ranks 7th allowing only 6.1 YPA. This is despite the fact that they are dead last in opponent passing play % where teams are throwing at us an incredible 66.6% of the time. The common thinking is that this is because teams cannot run on the Steelers' defense but I am starting to think it is because it is so easy to pass against them...at least the dink and dunk variety. This is why they are only ranked 23rd in opponent completion percentage allowing almost 2 in 3 passes to be completed.

Oviedo
12-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Balance means nothing. How balanced are the Pats, Indy and New Orleans?

NorthCoast
12-05-2010, 10:44 AM

In the regular season this may be true, but you see a big difference in the playoffs between successful and unsuccessful teams.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Arians and the offense was told by Rooney to run more successful, when needed to, not to run more.

I agree with Ovie.....balance means nothing in todays NFL.

ROLROC
12-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Screw balance. Do whatever it takes to move the ball. For our current offensive personnel, that is pass to set up the run.

Djfan
12-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Screw balance. Do whatever it takes to move the ball. For our current offensive personnel, that is pass to set up the run.

Do you think BA is smart enough to figure this out? I am not so sure.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-05-2010, 11:38 AM

I think he is too arrogant to change. He thinks this offense he created in 1983 is the best so to deviate from this would kill him. I seriously have lost faith in Tomlin, and the Rooneys, for not forcing his hand to tell you the truth.

Djfan
12-05-2010, 11:40 AM

I think he is too arrogant to change. He thinks this offense he created in 1983 is the best so to deviate from this would kill him. I seriously have lost faith in Tomlin, and the Rooneys, for not forcing his hand to tell you the truth.

I fight those same feelings far too often. If you have a lame underling, it ultimately falls on the leaders to fix it. If not, you wonder where their leadership skills are.

BURGH86STEEL
12-05-2010, 12:03 PM

In the regular season this may be true, but you see a big difference in the playoffs between successful and unsuccessful teams.

It's great if teams can have balance. I don't believe there is an emphasis by teams to remain balanced in the playoffs. Appears that anything goes in today's NFL. Teams with the better QB's will chose to pass more often in the post season.

I think it's more important to be able to play good defense in the post season then to have offensive balance. I don't believe that will ever change.

Va Steelr
12-05-2010, 03:33 PM
I think balance is a good thing to strive for but it is far more important to call plays depending on the situation.Don't be predictable.Play to your teams strengths and put yourself in the best position to score. Don't make it more difficult than it has to be.Most points wins regardless of how you get them.

RuthlessBurgher
12-05-2010, 06:19 PM
how do you explain Detroit's #1 rank in red zone scoring at 71% with the same number of attempts per game?

http://webbmania.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/calvinjohnson.jpg
http://www.detroitlionsblog.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/calvin-johnson11.jpg