PDA

View Full Version : 3rd and long for the other team ... I hate it

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Over the last few years, there've been so many times in the last 1-2 minutes, we've got the lead, and if we stop them on 3rd and long, we have the game won. Then, on (for example) 3rd and 18, they get 21, move the sticks, get barely into field goal range, make the kick, and we lose.

And, it always happens with someone, Woodley or Harrison most likely, about 1/100th of a second away from getting the sack.

So, I'll be much happier with a 3rd and 3 for the Ravens in that situation tomorrow. If it's 3rd and long, I don't know if I can take it!

SteelCrazy
12-04-2010, 08:36 PM
I notice stuff like that too, but I have a theory behind it. I think it's because we win a lot and rarely lose that we tend to notice little things like this 3rd and 18 stuff. Just a theory........

Flasteel
12-04-2010, 09:00 PM
I've hated 3rd and long for years now. It's a running joke between me and my friend...we always prefer to get the opponent in 3rd and short. It's a combination of poor coverage and a lack of pressure.

pepsyman1
12-04-2010, 09:03 PM
I notice stuff like that too, but I have a theory behind it. I think it's because we win a lot and rarely lose that we tend to notice little things like this 3rd and 18 stuff. Just a theory........

I'm gonna disagree with that theory...simply because Cowher's record was so good if we had a lead in the 4th quarter. As frustrating as it good be to watch us get very conservative offensively at the end of games, it was pretty rare that Cowher lost a game once we had a late lead.

The last few years have been very frustrating with that because we HAVE given up a quite a few 4th quarter leads. Lebeau's end of game approach has seemed much more conservative the couple of years. 3rd and long used to be when we would turn everyone lose, force a quick short pass underneath the coverage (if they didn't get the sack) and we would tackle them 5 yards short of the sticks. These days...we drop people into coverage most of the time and blitz much less. Annoying as hell to watch.

Crash
12-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Say this before the snap.

Rush 4, drop 7, complete.

Liek friggin' clockwork with this defense.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Say this before the snap.

Rush 4, drop 7, complete. ... sticks move.

Liek friggin' clockwork with this defense.

There, fixed that for you!

JTP53609
12-04-2010, 10:49 PM
I have always said the exact same thing, I say it tongue and cheek but I also say I prefer 3rd and short over third and long...

Discipline of Steel
12-05-2010, 09:33 AM
No matter how you slice it, we are #5 in the league for opponent 3rd down conversions at 34%. Bears #1 at 31% so not too shabby. Interestingly, the Pat*s are #32 at 51%.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-05-2010, 10:17 AM
No matter how you slice it, we are #5 in the league for opponent 3rd down conversions at 34%. Bears #1 at 31% so not too shabby. Interestingly, the Pat*s are #32 at 51%.

I know it can't be verified, but I'd bet even money that we are near the top in the league in opponent 3rd down conversions in the 4th quarter, over the last two years.

And even this year? ... in the loss to the Ravens in game 4, when they had their version of "the drive" in the 4th quarter to beat us (with BMac's help, IIRC) - did they have one or two 3rd and longs they converted? Obviously without that loss we'd be sitting in a much nicer position than we are. It's not just raw #s, but the circumstances on the field that add to the "excitement" :twisted: ...

feltdizz
12-05-2010, 10:55 PM
:oops:

papillon
12-05-2010, 11:01 PM
Well, 3rd and long has been their undoing in this game so far. On the 92 yard TD drive the ravens converted two 3rd and longs on their way to the score.

Overall on 3rd down the Steelers are good, but 3rd and long is troublesome for whatever reason.

Pappy