PDA

View Full Version : Lardarius Webb, "I can run with the guy"

SteelCrazy
12-04-2010, 02:29 AM
Ravens Notebook: Steelers' Wallace poses a threat

OWINGS MILLS - It's a football game, not a track meet.

However, Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace has a way of blurring the line between those two sporting events.

Wallace is regarded as one of the fastest players in the NFL.

His pure speed allows him to separate from cornerbacks in a way unlike many wide receivers, scorching secondaries for eight touchdowns and 792 yards on only 36 receptions.

Heading into Sunday night's game against the Baltimore Ravens, Wallace is averaging 22 yards per reception.

"His 4.2 speed is what makes him a good receiver," Ravens defensive coordinator Greg Mattison said. "When you watch him when he comes off the football, you say, ‘This guy's a good receiver.' He doesn't look like other receivers until all of a sudden he's running by guys. He's got really, really deceptive, fast, fast speed."

Ravens cornerback Lardarius Webb contained him in his third game back from a torn anterior cruciate ligament. He held Wallace to two receptions for 24 yards, catching up with him on a deep throw from Charlie Batch and knocking down a pass in the end zone.

"Try 4.1," Webb said when asked about Wallace's speed in the 40-yard dash. "He can move. We've got to bring our A game. We have to play ball, no slacking. I can run with the guy."

The Ravens are very much aware that Wallace has scored six touchdowns and averaged 83 yards per game since quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was reinstated by the NFL following a four-game suspension.

He has over 100 receiving yards in three of the past four games.

"He's the fastest receiver in the league," cornerback Chris Carr said. "Of course, Randy Moss is up there. Wallace is kind of deceptively fast because he gets on you later because of his long strides. His speed is definitely his biggest asset, but he's been doing a very good job of catching the ball as well. He's making his catches count, so we've got to contain him."

The Ravens are conscious of how quarterback Ben Roethlisberger buys time for his receivers to get open by scrambling around.

That makes it even tougher to stay with Wallace.

"You know they like him on the deep balls, but anybody else is a threat, too," Carr said. "With Ben scrambling around, they could run a short route and just turn it up, and if you're not on your guy, then you're in trouble.

"That's one of the things with Ben back there is the play is kind of never over because he can escape a lot of different things. Every single play, you've got to be ready to defend a deep ball or a short ball, because even if it's a short route, it could be deep in a heartbeat."

LANDRY EXPECTS TO PLAY: Strong safety Dawan Landry said he expects to be able to play Sunday night after suffering a mild concussion against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Landry has passed an impact test, but still has to pass a baseline test to determine his neurological readiness.

"I feel regular," Landry said. "I'm ready to go."

Landry was scheduled to take the test Friday, but expressed confidence that he'll be able to pass the test.

The only symptoms he had was a slight headache following his hit on running back Cadillac Williams.

"I got to take it later today, in a little bit," Landry said. "I'm good, man. I feel good. Felt good all week."

INJURY UPDATE: Offensive tackle Michael Oher didn't practice Friday due to a sprained right knee, but is expected to play.

Oher didn't comment on his knee after practice.

He's listed as questionable.

When asked about the pass protection if Oher is out, Harbaugh issued a sharp response.

"I know you've probably got a lot of information on pass protection," he said. "You probably know the insides and outs of all our pass protections, so I can see why you probably can have some kind of educated question along those lines, I'm sure."

One day after missing practice with an illness, wide receiver Derrick Mason returned Friday and is listed as probable.

"I'm still sick somewhat," Mason said. "It was good I got an opportunity to run and sweat some of it out. They gave me a day off, which is good. I needed it. It wasn't even a question about me missing a game. It was just making sure I was rested."

Fullback Le'Ron McClain (sprained left ankle) is questionable.

Offensive guard Chris Chester (lower leg infection) and rookie tight end Ed Dickson (hamstring) participated fully for the third day in a row. Both are listed as probable.

Chester has missed the past two games, but is expected to return this week.

"I feel more than capable to go," Chester said. "I feel very optimistic about my chances to play this week. The stitches are out and the wound seems to be fine. There's maybe a little bit of stiffness in there. Besides that, I feel more than capable of playing."

Meanwhile, Steelers defensive end Aaron Smith (triceps) and tight end Matt Spaeth (concussion) are doubtful.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is questionable.

Harbaugh was in no mood to discuss Roethlisberger's broken foot.

Roethlisberger reportedly has a broken fifth metatarsal. Listed as questionable on the injury report, he's expected to play Sunday night.

"I don't even think about it," Harbaugh said when asked about Roethlisberger. "I don't care."

When asked if he believes the foot is broken, Harbaugh had a terse reply.

"I could care less," he said. "He's going to line up and play quarterback. Is there anything besides injuries you guys want to talk about? Do you want to talk about anything important like the game?

Offensive tackle Flozell Adams (back) is probable as well as defensive end Nick Eason (knee), defensive end Brett Keisel (calf), cornerback Bryant McFadden (hamstring) and safety Troy Polamalu.

RUNNING GAME A KEY: The Ravens' running game has their work cut out for them against the Steelers' defense.

The Steelers have the top-ranked rushing defense in the NFL.

They're allowing just 64 yards per game and three yards per carry.

And the Ravens rank 27th in the league with a 3.7 average per carry.

"We've just got to continue this time of year, where the weather changes, and you've got to find ways to run the ball collectively with all of your backs," Cameron said. "Make sure you don't get a tendency going one way versus the other, because people have a good self-scout on you. We just need to continue to get better."

Despite the presence of Pro Bowl running back Ray Rice, the Ravens have no runs of over 30 yards this season.

"Looking late into the season, we see ourselves as not being one-dimensional," Rice said. "We have to be able to pass it. We have to be able to run it. We have to be able to run screens. We have to be able to do different things to offset what they do."

WASHINGTON TO PLAY: Cornerback Fabian Washington said he's expecting to be active this week after being a healthy scratch for the first time last week.

Washington was starting until being benched and replaced by Josh Wilson three games ago.

"It's looking that way," Washington said when asked if he's going to play this week. "It's looking good."

Special teams coach Jerry Rosburg said that Washington has played full safety and holdup corner on punt returns.

"Fabian's been working," Rosburg said. "At this point, that's what he's been contributing."

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/sport ... 03286.html (http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/sports/local/article_47bb664e-ff6c-11df-b9b7-001cc4c03286.html)

Discipline of Steel
12-04-2010, 05:27 AM
Im sorry but Lard cant run with Burn and we will see that tomorrow.

D Rock
12-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Harbaugh is a d1ck!

They ask how their starting OT's injury may affect their pass protection, and he goes off on them for not knowing about football? They're reporters, their job is to report on injuries and how that might impact the game.

So they ask how Ben's foot might impact the game...completely valid question, because him being limited changes the entire complexion of the game. He goes off on them again because all they are asking about it injuries and not the game.

If he wants to talk about the game, then how about discussing how these things may affect it?

What a clown.

frankthetank1
12-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Harbaugh is a d1ck!

They ask how their starting OT's injury may affect their pass protection, and he goes off on them for not knowing about football? They're reporters, their job is to report on injuries and how that might impact the game.

So they ask how Ben's foot might impact the game...completely valid question, because him being limited changes the entire complexion of the game. He goes off on them again because all they are asking about it injuries and not the game.

If he wants to talk about the game, then how about discussing how these things may affect it?

What a clown.

you are right. harbaugh is just a a$$hole. both he and his brother are dicks, it must run in the family.

DukieBoy
12-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Rats will likely keep a safety deep on Wallace's side of the field. Wish the Steelers could game-plan to keep Ed Reed deep as much as possible, instead of Reed roaming the middle of the field and ballhawking.

If Wallace has Webb without deep safety help it's Burn Baby Burn for the Lardrat.

And then there is our pass protection ...

SteelAbility
12-04-2010, 02:16 PM

... but apparently can hold Burn to 2 catches for 24 yards sometimes. It's not just about speed. It's also about position and schemes.

steelsnis
12-04-2010, 02:20 PM
He can hold him to 2 catches when Charlie Batch is QB. Something tells me Wallace will have more than that tomorrow with BR at the helm...

DukieBoy
12-04-2010, 02:30 PM
I'm thinking Wallace has learned alot from that first encounter about how he can game Webb, and I am hoping that BA has learned how he can use Wallace productively, esp w/ Ben at QB.

RuthlessBurgher
12-04-2010, 03:38 PM
"I feel regular," Landry said.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_70HgxsVpUTo/SA_IFowSPdI/AAAAAAAAAHw/rVYy3r-_ikY/s400/fiber.bmp

:lol:

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-04-2010, 05:06 PM

... but apparently can hold Burn to 2 catches for 24 yards sometimes. It's not just about speed. It's also about position and schemes.

Or in this case it is about having a QB who can't throw the ball further than 10 yards.

winwithd
12-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Wallace has shown he can learn. BA has shown he either can't learn or has no desire to. My guess is we see Ben going deep to Wallace one time, if that. It would make too much sense for BA to dial it up.

plainnasty
12-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Ravens cornerback Lardarius Webb contained him in his third game back from a torn anterior cruciate ligament. He held Wallace to two receptions for 24 yards, catching up with him on a deep throw from Charlie Batch and knocking down a pass in the end zone.

He caught up with Wallace when Wallace slowed down for an under thrown ball.

ikestops85
12-04-2010, 11:51 PM

He caught up with Wallace when Wallace slowed down for an under thrown ball.

:Agree

Wallace had him beat by 5 yards and had to wait for the ball to get there.

Ben likes to go deep against the ravens so I think Wallace could have a big game.

hawaiiansteel
12-05-2010, 04:38 PM
December 4, 2010

Wallace eager for 2nd chance

Jim Wexell
For The Tribune-Democrat

PITTSBURGH — Once the officials (and the league) allowed the Steelers to keep their overtime win over the Buffalo Bills last week, Mike Wallace got around to feeling bad for Steve Johnson.

Not that Wallace has ever dropped a game-winning touchdown pass – or would admit to ever dropping one – as Johnson had, but Wallace could empathize with the Bills’ WR anyway.

“I play receiver, so I can imagine what it’s like to be in that situation,” Wallace said.

“Thankfully – (knocks on wood) – I’ve never been in that situation. But I’m pretty sure he’s hurting bad and can’t wait to get back out there and make up for it.”

Wallace, the Steelers’ second-year deep threat, has experienced something similar, and tonight he gets his shot at redemption.

In the first meeting against the Baltimore Ravens this season, Wallace had the go-ahead touchdown pass in his hands, in the end zone, in the fourth quarter, but it was yanked away by cornerback Lardarius Webb.

Webb was the same cornerback who’d swatted away a slightly underthrown deep ball to Wallace only two plays earlier in that fourth quarter, and was the same cornerback who’d covered the speedy Wallace on two other incomplete deep balls thrown by quarterback Charlie Batch late in the third quarter.

Webb had been injured last season – his rookie season – and even earlier this season, so his performance in beating Wallace and the Steelers that day begged the question:

Do the Ravens have a cornerback capable of doing what no other cornerback had done previously? Can Webb run with and cover Wallace?

“He can’t cover me,” Wallace said after that game. “He was 13 yards off me before the ball was even snapped. He’s a smart guy, and he made a nice play the one time the ball was right in my hands, so I’m 0-1 against him, but I’ll be looking to even things up next time. I’m thinking he’d better get ready.”

That was then, and Wallace has this to say now:

“I don’t feel like he can stop me,” Wallace said a few days before tonight’s showdown for AFC North supremacy. “I don’t feel like he can cover me. We’ll see this week.”

It’s very likely that we will see, because Wallace figures to play a prominent role in the Steelers’ game plan.

With Ben Roethlisberger limping on an injured right foot, the Steelers will likely put their quarterback in the shotgun and spread the run-stuffing Ravens’ defense with multiple receivers.

And Wallace would be the ideal gamebreaker against a Ravens secondary that’s most vulnerable wide with starting cornerbacks Chris Carr and Josh Wilson and nickelbacks Webb and Fabian Washington.

Washington, at 5-foot-11, is the tallest of the group, but as the No. 4 CB he’s certainly not their best, as evidenced by his healthy scratch last Sunday.

However, the Ravens will have free safety Ed Reed patrolling over the top. The future Hall of Famer missed the first game against the Steelers, but was activated off the PUP list five games ago and already has four interceptions. His

50 career interceptions are second among active players behind Darren Sharper.

Reed, at 31, hasn’t lost a step.

“He’s one of the best players

– physically, instinctually, everything – that I’ve ever played against,” said Roethlisberger.

Yet, with Reed the last five games, the Ravens’ numbers against the pass haven’t improved much, and in some cases have gotten worse.

With Reed, the Ravens have allowed: 58.9 percent of passes completed, 6.3 yards per attempt, and a 76.1 passer rating. They’re 4-1 in those games.

Without Reed: 57.9 percent completed, 5.7 yards per attempt, 76.5 passer rating, 4-2 record.

In his career, Reed has played 13 games against the Steelers and has three interceptions and four additional passes defensed. The Ravens are 6-7 with Reed against the Steelers.

But, Reed and the Ravens haven’t defeated the Steelers with Roethlisberger at quarterback in four tries since 2006, when Reed had his only interception of Roethlisberger.

Overall, Reed has defensed only three passes thrown by Roethlisberger in eight games.

Of course, Reed has never played against Roethlisberger when the quarterback’s been relegated to playing with only one good foot. And Reed has only seen bits of Wallace, the receiver who’ll be sprinting down the sideline in an attempt to run under those fly balls off the quarterback’s third step.

“He was pretty much going with Santonio (Holmes) last year,” said Wallace. “But I’m pretty sure he’ll have his eye on me this time, and I’m up for the challenge. He’s a great player. He’s a guy I watched before I got here. He’s an NFL guy I’ve always looked up to, so it’s going to be a pretty exciting matchup on Sunday.”

http://tribune-democrat.com/sports/x278 ... 2nd-chance (http://tribune-democrat.com/sports/x278367157/Wallace-eager-for-2nd-chance)