PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see hit ARE took on trick play?

Blitz-en
12-03-2010, 03:03 PM
I do not remember seeing it, but a guy I work with keeps mentioning how ARE got hit late in the head after throwing the pass early in the game on the trick play. Does anybody have video footage of this? Not that we need anything else to be bitter about, here in Steeler Nation, but I'm curious.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Blitz-en
12-03-2010, 10:58 PM
Obviously, nobody saw it. I had the chance to go back and watch my DVR of the game. Sure enough, #96 for the Bills went head to head with ARE on the pass. It was completely blatant with no need for any further judgement. Solomon Wilcots's dumb @ss even said the words, "ARE got one right in the chops on that throw".

One more play to add to the "not called on teams playing against the Steelers".

Very easy to see, NFL drops the ball again.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-03-2010, 11:52 PM
Obviously, nobody saw it. I had the chance to go back and watch my DVR of the game. Sure enough, #96 for the Bills went head to head with ARE on the pass. It was completely blatant with no need for any further judgement. Solomon Wilcots's dumb @ss even said the words, "ARE got one right in the chops on that throw".

One more play to add to the "not called on teams playing against the Steelers".

Very easy to see, NFL drops the ball again.

FWIW - and I can't remember it and erased the game a few days ago - When ARE ran that play he was not a QB, more of a runner. Like the hit on Cribbs, which was deemed okay, a runner in that case is not considered a defenseless player and not subject to the same protection.

I am not trying to legitimize the league's actions, I am just trying to compare apples with apples.

Speaking of apples to apples, the hit that Favre took to the chin earlier in the year, was that ever fined? Because that is about as similar as I remember seeing this year to the Harrison hit on Fitz, with the biggest difference being that Favre was hit by the helmet in the chin while the league even said that Harrison hit him in the chest.

Blitz-en
12-03-2010, 11:57 PM
I disagree. Randle El got the handoff from Ben, proceeded to throw the ball and then took the hit a second after releasing the ball. At that point, the defender knows that he threw the ball. Maybe it would help to see it, but he threw the ball and the hit was borderline late hit, let alone that it was head to head. If it's a strict rule now, then a player throwing a pass is a defenseless QB. It was so blatant that it should have warranted a foul.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-04-2010, 12:05 AM
Maybe, like I said I have not looked at it carefully. I just don't think that they will give someone taking a hand off, or lining up at QB and proceeding to run the ball, the same protection as a QB.

Of course, as the hit was late then a late hit is a late hit regardless. That should be a penalty, and if it is determined that the H2H came from launching at him then that is also something that should have been looked at.

Wallace108
12-04-2010, 02:01 AM
When ARE ran that play he was not a QB, more of a runner. Like the hit on Cribbs, which was deemed okay, a runner in that case is not considered a defenseless player and not subject to the same protection.
You're exactly right on this. Runners aren't afforded the same protection as QBs and receivers, which just goes to show you how messed up the rules are. If the league is really concerned about the safety of players, then helmet-to-helmet should be illegal regardless of whether you're passing, catching, or running the ball. It's not like running backs are less susceptible to concussions. The rules are a joke. And the way in which they're being interpreted and enforced is an even bigger joke.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Being that the NFL has coined the term 'defenseless' for this season, to describe certain players, what about defensive players. Should a defensive player be labeled as defenseless if he is simply running toward the ball and an offensive player launches themselves toward the defender and the hit is helmet to helmet? Same thing as a WR catching the ball then taking a lick helmet to helmet.

Also, the rule seems very stupid. What would be more detrimental to brain safety? Two players running toward each other and then colliding helmet to helmet, or one player standing still and the other hitting him helmet to helmet? Obviously the impact of two 200lb objects sprinting toward one another is far more damaging than the other way.

Any way you look at it though, I have seen numerous, numerous times this season when Steelers WR/QB's have had totally flagrant fouls committed against them under the rules they are saying they are enforcing, without a flag or even a comment by anyone. I think the league is simply trying to make the Steelers defense less aggressive to lessen our chances of winning. On offense our linemen can't even look like they are holding or they are called for a penalty, even if it is simply a great block they will flag them, but Harrison and Woodley can pretty much get tackled and there is never a flag.

I would like to see someone start compiling all the BS that hasn't been called on us on a video and post it up on youtube or mail it to the league plus put it on youtube to show what a crock of gigantic, smelly, horsesh!t this all is. Call it fair or put the whistle up your butt zebras.

Djfan
12-04-2010, 10:19 AM
It was illegal. If not, then Deebo gets a refund for the Massaquoi (sp?) hit.