PDA

View Full Version : Rosenthal, Florio (PFT) calls Ben a Drama Queen

SteelCrazy
12-03-2010, 02:18 PM
In today’s 10-pack, Florio wondered if we’ve witnessed the return of Big Ben, drama queen. (And if you’re crazy if don’t think a lot of folks around the Steelers are wondering the same thing.)

The Steelers felt compelled to contradict a report about the broken bone in Roethlisberger’s foot, and we continue to learn more about the injury. Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that Roethlisberger actually suffered the broken bone seven or eight years ago. It wasn’t recognized until after the Steelers loss to the Patriots, during which he appeared to aggravate the injury.

Add it all up, and the injury doesn’t seem like a huge concern for the Steelers. Roethlisberger has been able to practice this week, which is the best sign they aren’t that worried about making the injury worse.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... years-ago/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/03/roethlisbergers-foot-was-broken-years-ago/)

Crash
12-03-2010, 02:19 PM
So he's been playing with a broken foot for seven years?

Nice medical staff we have.

birtikidis
12-03-2010, 02:42 PM
reports were ben was in a boot all week and that they were coming up with a shoe that had as much support as the boot. reports were also that ben hadn't practiced till thursday on a limited basis. several players stated that it was no big deal since ben knows the offense so well..
who do you believe?

Crash
12-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Ben practiced on WEd and Thursday on a limited basis.

But is he doing drop backs? He can't stand and throw, if he can't drop back he can't play.

birtikidis
12-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Ben practiced on WEd and Thursday on a limited basis.

But is he doing drop backs? He can't stand and throw, if he can't drop back he can't play.
my bad, i thought he only practiced on thursday.

brothervad
12-03-2010, 02:50 PM
For those of you who state that they hate Florio, you do realize everytime you "hit" his site for information you are feeding the beast.

So I contend you really don't hate him because you go there for information.

Not saying you can rid yourself of him completely (it's way too late for that now).

But by not visiting his site you reduce his overall effect.

Just sayin....

brothervad

siss
12-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Either way he is in a lot of pain. It is a painful injury and his ability to play will most likely will come down to whether or not Ben can handle the pain. He isn't in a walking boot for nothing.

hawaiiansteel
12-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Bruce Arians has to be one of the most stubborn, thick-headed OCs of all-time...

Steelers: No new fracture in Roethlisberger's foot

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, December 3, 2010

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2010-12-02/roethlisberger-a.jpg

Ben Roethlisberger
Chaz Palla | Tribune-Review

Refuting a report that Ben Roethlisberger has a broken foot, the Steelers said their starting quarterback aggravated scar tissue from an old injury last Sunday in Buffalo.

In a statement released Thursday by the Steelers, team spokesman Dave Lockett said there is no new fracture in Roethlisberger's right foot.

Roethlisberger appears to be on track to play Sunday night in a crucial AFC North game against the Ravens.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Roethlisberger's current injury was a sprain after their 19-16 overtime win against the Bills and again during his weekly news conference Tuesday.

Roethlisberger has practiced the past two days on a limited basis and has been limping noticeably around the Steelers' locker room.

He has said he will play against the Ravens.

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said after practice Thursday that he won't alter the game plan because of Roethlisberger's ailing foot.

"He just has to know what he can do to protect himself, and I feel confident that he'll be fine that way," Arians said. "But we won't change or do anything differently."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 2013.html# (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_712013.html#)

SteelCrazy
12-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Bruce Arians has to be one of the most stubborn, thick-headed OCs of all-time...

Steelers: No new fracture in Roethlisberger's foot

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, December 3, 2010

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2010-12-02/roethlisberger-a.jpg

Ben Roethlisberger
Chaz Palla | Tribune-Review

Refuting a report that Ben Roethlisberger has a broken foot, the Steelers said their starting quarterback aggravated scar tissue from an old injury last Sunday in Buffalo.

In a statement released Thursday by the Steelers, team spokesman Dave Lockett said there is no new fracture in Roethlisberger's right foot.

Roethlisberger appears to be on track to play Sunday night in a crucial AFC North game against the Ravens.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Roethlisberger's current injury was a sprain after their 19-16 overtime win against the Bills and again during his weekly news conference Tuesday.

Roethlisberger has practiced the past two days on a limited basis and has been limping noticeably around the Steelers' locker room.

He has said he will play against the Ravens.

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said after practice Thursday that he won't alter the game plan because of Roethlisberger's ailing foot.

"He just has to know what he can do to protect himself, and I feel confident that he'll be fine that way," Arians said. "But we won't change or do anything differently."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 2013.html# (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_712013.html#)

Im hoping BA visited the Wizard and got his new brain and is just saying this to get Baltimore to not change their defensive game plan or alter it to get ready for a different look from us.

feltdizz
12-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Arians isn't wrong on this one Hawaiian... what is he supposed to say? Why tip our hand to the Ravens by telling the media what we will do differently...

and what game plan can we switch up to protect Ben? When has Ben ever played Manning/Brady type football?

birtikidis
12-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Arians isn't wrong on this one Hawaiian... what is he supposed to say? Why tip our hand to the Ravens by telling the media what we will do differently...

and what game plan can we switch up to protect Ben? When has Ben ever played Manning/Brady type football?
You know.. they could go the bellicheat route and LIE a little bit. you know.. have him on the injury report... say they have leftwhich taking snaps... you know.. $hit like that.

Crash
12-03-2010, 03:56 PM

San Diego I in 2008. Dinks, dunks, threw for 300 yards. Dinks and dunks at BEN'S insistence because of the pounding he was taking.

SuperSize
12-03-2010, 04:20 PM
I don't get how the report that Ben has a broken foot makes him a drama queen. I mean, I haven't seen anywhere that it was Ben who said he had a broken foot. The Post Gazette had the story this morning, but they never attributed the broken foot-info to anyone in particular.

I live out of town, so I only get the internet newspapers (plus this website) for info. Has Ben himself said he has a broken foot?

Just wonderin'...

Pete

JAR
12-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Ben never said his foot was broken, so where ever the report came from has nothing to do with Ben. Pittsburgh is the only city in the world who has "breaking news" regarding it's football team, no matter how minor the story. The media here is a hype machine over the Steelers.

This drama crap goes back to his toes. If people like Florio would do his job, he'd know that Ben did have toes problems, but Cowher was CingHA, by saying he knew nothing about because Ben wasn't on the injury report.

Everyone else in the league gets hurt, why can't Ben without it being a drama queen issue? Have these people ever seen him play? I'm surprised he's not hurt more.

D Rock
12-03-2010, 06:20 PM
tearing scar tissue can be a real pain in the azz.

I've messed my thumb up pretty well over the years and when it gets hit wrong now and tears old scar tissue it hurts like the dickens and it can happen at any time. The only way I was able to stop it is to tape it up real heavy when I play sports. Stuff like that doesn't go away and this could easily be an issue for him his entire career.

hawaiiansteel
12-03-2010, 07:32 PM
http://nbcsportsmedia1.msnbc.com/j/NBCSports/Components/Video/_NEW/s_pft_nfl_pftvgotw_101201_v2_16x9.grid-5x2.jpg

Gregory Shamus / Getty Images

Can Joe Flacco and the Ravens do enough to beat the Steelers at home? Mike Florio and Gregg Rosenthal disagree on it.

BY MIKE FLORIO AND GREGG ROSENTHAL
ProFootballTalk.com

Steelers at Ravens

Florio’s take: In 2008 and 2009, the Ravens won three playoff games on the road. This year, they’re one home win over the Steelers away from essentially ensuring at least one home game in the postseason — and possibly a bye. The Steelers are too banged up to keep it from happening.

Florio’s pick: Ravens 16, Steelers 10.

Rosenthal’s take: The Ravens haven’t always played great this season, but they have played steadily. The Steelers are wildly up and down. The look like the best team in the league at their best, but don’t seem to be “up” for each game. They should be plenty ready for this one. The Steelers don’t have to pass protect much if Rashard Mendenhall runs the ball down Baltimore’s throat.

Rosenthal’s pick: Steelers 23, Ravens 20.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/40475042/ns/sports/

Discipline of Steel
12-03-2010, 09:17 PM

I've messed my thumb up pretty well over the years and when it gets hit wrong now and tears old scar tissue it hurts like the dickens and it can happen at any time. The only way I was able to stop it is to tape it up real heavy when I play sports. Stuff like that doesn't go away and this could easily be an issue for him his entire career.

What sports do you play D? Im into soccer...

D Rock
12-04-2010, 09:15 AM
[quote="D Rock":3k9obifz]tearing scar tissue can be a real pain in the azz.

What sports do you play D? Im into soccer...[/quote:3k9obifz]

I played volleyball in college the last few years and still play competitively when I get a chance. That's where I've had the most problems with the thumb, but I originally messed it up wrestling in high school.

DukieBoy
12-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Florio might have had a traumatic experience during his youth that somehow he connects with the Steelers. Sad. Well, he's free to express his commentary, and will do so as long as people are willing to read/listen. Now it's on Ben and the Steelers to prove him wrong.

RuthlessBurgher
12-04-2010, 04:25 PM

You have torn scar tissue in your @$$? :shock:

(not that there's anything wrong with that). :lol:

skyhawk
12-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Drama queen?

Um, yeah. :roll:

steelblood
12-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Florio..................Mr. Masculinity! He's a real tough guy.

RuthlessBurgher
12-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Florio..................Mr. Masculinity! He's a real tough guy.

I mentioned in the chat how he looks like David Byrne of Talking Head fame (not David Byrne now, since he has white hair now, but back in the "Stop Making Sense" days...appropriately enough, we could call Florio "Start Making Sense"...we just need to get him a jacket with broader shoulders)

http://www.1043thefan.com/Pics/alfredAndD-Mac/mike_florio.jpghttp://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/10/28/gal_concerts_byrne.jpg

hawaiiansteel
12-08-2010, 05:33 PM
On the Steelers: Roethlisberger to fashion new look

Wednesday, December 08, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201012/20101208steelers_500.jpg

Peter Diana/Post-Gazette
Steelers head trainer John Norwig stops the bleeding on Roethlisberger's broken nose during Sunday's game at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore.

Ben Roethlisberger will wear so many protective devices Sunday at Heinz Field he should come with a warning: This quarterback protected by Steelers security.

The latest apparatus will be a clear plastic shield to cover his face and protect his broken nose, repaired surgically Monday. That will join the oversized right shoe that contains two metal plates and a whole lot of tape wrapped around it to protect his broken foot.

He even got a slight bit of protection from the NFL, which Monday fined Baltimore's Haloti Ngata $15,000 for delivering the blow that broke his nose on Sunday. No roughing the passer was called by referee Terry McAuley's crew on that play, nor on the one in which safety Dawan Landry hit Roethlisberger late, but at least they noticed on Park Avenue this time -- unlike the previous week when two Bills players roughed up Roethlisberger after they sacked him and were neither penalized nor fined.

"I'm sure there's going to be some level of discomfort," coach Mike Tomlin said. "I don't think it's going to keep him out of football in any form or fashion.

"You know, he's a competitor. I think I even said it after the game we expect that from him. Not that it goes unappreciated; we just expect that from him. He expects that from himself. He's our quarterback. AFC North football is competitive. The series against the Ravens is a competitive one. No one's going to leave that stadium extremely comfortable, on either side. We understand what playing those guys is about. He delivered for us."

Again, he did. Troy Polamalu provided the impetus, and Roethlisberger delivered another winning drive. It was the third time he has done so this season in the fourth quarter or overtime, the 23rd time in his career, which is John Elway-esque.

Another potential foul against Roethlisberger the officials missed in Baltimore came on one of his best plays of the season, an incompletion. Linebacker Terrell Suggs hit and grabbed him in the helmet while trying to sack him. Roethlisberger kept fighting off Suggs as he moved out of the pocket until he could legally throw the ball away, which he did as if he were passing a basketball.

"I was just fighting to get out of the pocket," Roethlisberger said. "He grabbed me and I kept trying to get away from him. Fortunately, I was able to get rid of the ball in time."

Two plays later, Roethlisberger completed the winning touchdown pass to Isaac Redman.

Miller, Adams on injured list
Heath Miller and Flozell Adams could miss Sunday's game against the Cincinnati Bengals at Heinz Field, joining the growing list of starters who have missed games this season.

Miller has missed only two games in his six-year career, both in 2008. But he has a concussion from the $40,000 hit put on him by Baltimore linebacker Jameel McClain and Tomlin said Miller "is experiencing the discomfort that goes along with concussions, so his availability might be doubtful this week."

Adams has what Tomlin called a mild high ankle sprain from Sunday's game. Jordan Woy, Adams' agent, said the tackle should be OK by "next week."

"We'll see how that limits him in the early portion of the week and let that be the determinant of whether or not he's available to us," Tomlin said.

Adams has started every game at right tackle since joining the Steelers this summer as a free agent from Dallas to replace the injured Willie Colon. If Adams does not play, only rookie center Maurkice Pouncey will not have missed a start among the starting offensive linemen. There have been eight different starting linemen this season. Trai Essex, who has started five games at right guard, could replace Adams.

Matt Spaeth, who missed the past two games with a concussion, has been cleared and would replace Miller as the starter. Spaeth has five receptions, all in the past four games he has played.

"He does everything that Heath does and this won't be his first rodeo by any stretch in terms of replacing Heath," Tomlin said. "He's done it in stretches before."

Spaeth caught six passes in consecutive games against the Colts and Chargers in 2008, which Miller missed with an ankle injury. Spaeth has been a backup since the Steelers drafted him in 2007 but plays a lot and often officially starts at "fullback" because coordinator Bruce Arians likes to use two tight ends.

"This guy's a reliable guy," Tomlin said. "He's a Mackey Award winner. He doesn't get the notoriety because he plays behind Heath Miller. But he's not a backup; he's a starter-in-waiting as far as we're concerned. The standards for him will be Heath-like."

Tomlin also said defensive end Aaron Smith, out since he had surgery on his triceps that were torn Oct. 24 in Miami, had an MRI and has been cleared to start lifting weights, although a teammate said he started lifting them last week.

New punter
The Steelers signed former Penn State punter Jeremy Kapinos after trying out three at Heinz Field Tuesday. He will replace Daniel Sepulveda, who will have his third surgery to repair a torn ACL on Friday.

Kapinos punted for Green Bay last season, averaging 43.8 yards on 66 punts. He punted one game for Indianapolis this season. He will wear No. 3, previously worn by kicker Jeff Reed.

Kapinos, a third-team all-American at Penn State in 2006, also will hold for placekicks, as did Sepulveda.

Point made
Tomlin has a way with words, getting his point across sometimes using big ones, sometimes eloquently and sometimes tersely, as he did on occasion Tuesday during his news conference.

Asked if he could talk about the importance of winning games as his team heads into the last quarter of the season, Tomlin replied, "I'm not ready to have a quarter talk. It's Tuesday of the Cincinnati Bengals. They swept us a year ago. They celebrated pretty nicely on our field the second time they beat us. That's my focus."

Asked if Keenan Lewis does not know the rule that a player cannot run out of bounds on punts and return to the field of play after he was flagged for it the second time this season, Tomlin said, "Ask Keenan."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10342/11 ... z17Ydhh4hT (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10342/1109042-66.stm#ixzz17Ydhh4hT)

BURGH86STEEL
12-08-2010, 05:49 PM
I think Ben has a bit of drama queen in him. I think Brady has a bit of drama queen in him.
At the end of the day it means absolutely nothing. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks as long as both guys continue to help their teams win games. That being said, most players need to have mental and physical toughness to play football at the highest level.