PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben's foot broken

mshifko
12-02-2010, 06:03 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10336/1107779-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

Turns out the "sprained" right foot of Steelers quarterback Ben Roehlisberger actually is broken.

The fifth metatarsal bone or the outside metatarsal on Roethlisberger's right foot is broken, the Post-Gazette has learned. It was injured during the first quarter of Sunday's game in Buffalo.

The Steelers have been listing the foot as sprained.

Roethlisberger went through another practice today and has said he fully expects to play in Baltimore this Sunday night. Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said after practice that Roethlisberger's injury should not curtail anything he does on the field in Baltimore.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10336/11 ... z16ziLnccQ (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10336/1107779-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz16ziLnccQ)

turns out it's a break instead of a sprain...oh brother. yet another reason the flag should have been thrown!!!

Crash
12-02-2010, 06:06 PM
There is no way he's going to be able to play the rest of the year on this. He'll have to sit at some point.

Shawn
12-02-2010, 06:21 PM
He can play on it. I just wouldn't generally recommend it. The problem he needs 4-6 weeks off that foot. I highly doubt that happens. I believe he will probably play on it the rest of the year with a supported shoe. But, trying to throw deep with a broken 5th metatarsal of your plant foot is going to be a challenge. Guess we will see how tough our QB is this season.

NW Steeler
12-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Nail.

Coffin.

One injury too many.

JAR
12-02-2010, 06:55 PM
KDKA said a broken foot may not be the case. Stupid freaking media...... The story is coming up, I'll post what they say.

grotonsteel
12-02-2010, 06:59 PM
What??????????????????????

Why the hell Stroud not get punished on that play.........

Screw Baddell....and his hypocrisy

winwithd
12-02-2010, 06:59 PM
If we win this weekend we can give him the rest of the regular season off.

If we win Sunday and also in Cleveland and against Cincinnati, which I believe we can do with Leftwich, we are 5-1 in the dvision and Baltimore is at best 4-2. We would have split with the Ravens so the first tiebreaker is out and I think it goes division record then, which would be in our favor. Then all we have to do is split with the Jets and Panthers, which I think Lefty could do, and we win the division at 12-4 and probably get a first round bye. That is 5 weeks of rest for Ben's foot.

No problem, as long as we win this week. If we lose this we'd have to make up two games on the Rats which would be tough.

NW Steeler
12-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Dude on ESPN radio says that it is indeed broken, but he will absolutely play on it. How could it not affect him though?

Crash
12-02-2010, 07:00 PM
In response to inquiries about Ben Roethlisberger having a broken foot, Steelers spokesperson Dave Lockett said there is no new fracture in Benís foot. Benís current injury is an aggravation of an old injury where scar tissue is present.

JAR
12-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Steelers saying it's an aggravation of an old injury from scar tissue. There is no new broken bone.

RuthlessBurgher
12-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Let's ask Bill Cowher whether or not Ben has a broken foot. I'm sure that will clear things up.

Djfan
12-02-2010, 07:31 PM
This from his Facebook:

Ben Roethlisberger BREAKING NEWS: Steelers' Dave Lockett said there's no new fracture in Benís foot. Benís injury is aggravation of old injury where scar tissue is present.

Posted 6:21pm

siss
12-02-2010, 07:55 PM
This from his Facebook:

Ben Roethlisberger BREAKING NEWS: Steelers' Dave Lockett said there's no new fracture in Benís foot. Benís injury is aggravation of old injury where scar tissue is present.

Does that mean its re-broken? What does the scar tissue mean? Someone explain.

Djfan
12-02-2010, 08:03 PM
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Statement-on-Bens-foot-injury/a538839d-37bc-4584-a847-0040878db742

Statement on Ben's foot injury

Posted 1 hour ago

Steelers Spokesperson Dave Lockett on Ben Roethlisbergerís Foot Injury

In response to inquiries about Ben Roethlisberger having a broken foot, Steelers spokesperson Dave Lockett said there is no new fracture in Benís foot. Benís current injury is an aggravation of an old injury where scar tissue is present.

Crash
12-02-2010, 08:32 PM
From 2005......

Steelers coach Bill Cowher said Ben Roethlisberger does not have broken toes, no matter what his quarterback told reporters earlier in the week. Roethlisberger said he suffered broken toes late in the first half Sunday, but Cowher said Roethlisberger was making a reference to toes that were broken either in high school or college and aggravated while he was scrambling in the first half against the Patriots.

"He mentioned something to Ryan Grove , our assistant trainer," Cowher said. "He said that he thought he may have broken his toes. He came (off the field) and he was fine. He left here yesterday after the season-ending physical exam and he is fine. There is nothing really going to be done with it. It's nothing that a little bit of rest won't take care of."

Could be the same thing. Stretching scar tissue hurts like hell.

Shawn
12-02-2010, 08:33 PM
This from his Facebook:

Scar tissue builds around areas of old fractures and soft tissue injuries. Sometime people can irritate an area of old injury. If we take this report at face value, it's very good news. Some steroids and a little rest will do it a world of good.

My concern is that the Steelers are sending out a false report. If teams know Ben's foot is broken they will bring it...and bring it hard.

Crash
12-02-2010, 08:38 PM
They X-rayed him in Buffalo, so my guess is if it was broke he wasn't going back out there.

papillon
12-02-2010, 09:13 PM
This from his Facebook:

Scar tissue builds around areas of old fractures and soft tissue injuries. Sometime people can irritate an area of old injury. If we take this report at face value, it's very good news. Some steroids and a little rest will do it a world of good.

My concern is that the Steelers are sending out a false report. If teams know Ben's foot is broken they will bring it...and bring it hard.

Of course, if they hit him below the waist there will be a penalty and fine, correct? :roll:

Pappy

papillon
12-02-2010, 09:15 PM
He can play on it. I just wouldn't generally recommend it. The problem he needs 4-6 weeks off that foot. I highly doubt that happens. I believe he will probably play on it the rest of the year with a supported shoe. But, trying to throw deep with a broken 5th metatarsal of your plant foot is going to be a challenge. Guess we will see how tough our QB is this season.

We know how tough he is, there's no other like him in the league. He's the toughest quarterback playing right now.

Pappy

Shawn
12-02-2010, 09:50 PM
They X-rayed him in Buffalo, so my guess is if it was broke he wasn't going back out there.

I think that is a reasonable conclusion.

hawaiiansteel
12-02-2010, 10:05 PM

We know how tough he is, there's no other like him in the league. He's the toughest quarterback playing right now.

Pappy

but didn't T.O. say Ben was soft? :D

hawaiiansteel
12-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Steelers: Roethlisberger's right foot not broken

The Associated Press
Published: Thursday, December 2, 2010 at 7:46 p.m.

PITTSBURGH - The Pittsburgh Steelers say quarterback Ben Roethlisberger doesn't have a broken right foot but instead is healing from an aggravation of a previous injury where scar tissue is present.

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=*&Date=20101202&Category=APS&ArtNo=1012022650&Ref=AR&AvisData=LL&MaxW=250&border=0

Pittsburgh Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger (7) is pressured by Buffalo Bills' Aaron Maybin (58) and Chris Kelsay (90) during the second half of an NFL football game in Orchard Park, N.Y., Sunday, Nov. 28, 2010. The Steelers won 19-16 in overtime. (AP Photo/David Duprey)

The Steelers issued a statement Thursday night refuting a Pittsburgh Post-Gazette report that Roethlisberger broke a metatarsal bone in his foot. He has worn a protective boot all week, and has been fitted with a protective game shoe.

Previously, the Steelers said Roethlisberger had a sprained right foot sustained during their 19-16 overtime victory in Buffalo on Sunday.

Roethlisberger was limited in practice Thursday, but said he plans to play Sunday against Baltimore. He has not missed a snap since returning Oct. 17 from his four-game suspension.

Roethlisberger has won his last five starts against the Ravens.

http://www.theledger.com/article/201012 ... 1012022650 (http://www.theledger.com/article/20101202/APS/1012022650)

Crash
12-02-2010, 10:15 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... dlines2col (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81c96f1c/article/steelers-qb-roethisberger-has-small-fracture-in-right-foot?module=HP_headlines2col)

Crash
12-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Refuting a report that Ben Roethlisberger has a broken foot, the Steelers said their starting quarterback aggravated scar tissue from an old injury last Sunday in Buffalo.

In a statement released Thursday by the Steelers, team spokesman Dave Lockett said there is no new fracture in Roethlisberger's right foot.

Roethlisberger appears to be on track to play Sunday night in a crucial AFC North game against the Ravens.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Roethlisberger's current injury was a sprain after their 19-16 overtime win against the Bills and again during his weekly news conference Tuesday.

Roethlisberger has practiced the past two days on a limited basis and has been limping noticeably around the Steelers' locker room.

He has said he will play against the Ravens.

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said after practice Thursday that he won't alter the game plan because of Roethlisberger's ailing foot.

"He just has to know what he can do to protect himself, and I feel confident that he'll be fine that way," Arians said. "But we won't change or do anything differently."

Shawn
12-02-2010, 10:44 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81c96f1c/article/steelers-qb-roethisberger-has-small-fracture-in-right-foot?module=HP_headlines2col

This article makes little sense to me. He had a fractured 5th metatarsal...but when? For him to have "a small fracture" would mean it was recent or he refractured the foot. I'm not understanding the double talk.

Eich
12-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said after practice Thursday that he won't alter the game plan because of Roethlisberger's ailing foot.

An act of congress or an act of God wouldn't change this guy's game plan.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-02-2010, 11:52 PM

An act of congress or an act of God wouldn't change this guy's game plan.
We do what we do.

aggiebones
12-03-2010, 12:08 AM
Goodell is going to sneak in to Ben's room and pull a Kathy Bates with a sledge hammer.

RuthlessBurgher
12-03-2010, 12:19 AM
If teams know Ben's foot is broken they will bring it...and bring it hard.

http://cobra-kai.com/SweepTheLeg.jpg

kindlecatsb'ng
12-03-2010, 09:34 AM
http://www.foothealthfacts.org/footankl ... ctures.htm (http://www.foothealthfacts.org/footankleinfo/fifth-metatarsal_fractures.htm)

Good pics of foot and possible areas of trauma.

I'm not sure what the FO is putting out there about his injury either. Even though it is his plant foot, I wonder how mobile he will be with the addition of a specially made shoe.

:ratsuck

Go Steelers,
Kindle

Ghost
12-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Saw Ben interviewed and he said he and John Norwig (Head Athletic Trainer) were "crafting" a new cleat he could use come game time that would replace the boot. He said it would give him most of the support of the boot but allow him to move. Guess we'll see.

Crash
12-03-2010, 03:28 PM
What kind of incompetent medical staff do the Steelers have when their franchise QB is walking around with a broken foot for seven years?

feltdizz
12-03-2010, 03:37 PM
What kind of incompetent medical staff do the Steelers have when their franchise QB is walking around with a broken foot for seven years?

Don't go full ree-tard on us Crash.

How many times over the last 7 years have you witnessed Ben nursing a broken foot?

I'm willing to bet it's one of those minor injure that NFL players get that will never go away and will never heal correctly. When you break a bone in your foot or hand it's damn near impossible to get it to heal correctly.

Crash
12-03-2010, 03:52 PM
It wasn't spotted until this season. Are you telling me that prior to this season his feet have never been x-rayed by our staff? If that's true that's incompetence at it's finest.

hawaiiansteel
12-03-2010, 06:46 PM
Saw Ben interviewed and he said he and John Norwig (Head Athletic Trainer) were "crafting" a new cleat he could use come game time that would replace the boot. He said it would give him most of the support of the boot but allow him to move. Guess we'll see.

going more shotgun would also relieve some of the stress of having to drop back...

SteelAbility
12-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Now that Ben's foot is suspect, BA's secret strategy will be to run him more. "They'll never see it coming!" I can almost hear him saying that right now. :P

Crash
12-04-2010, 02:28 PM
If it's snowy and windy and they have to run a lot I think Lefty starts if Ben can't hand off normally.

DukieBoy
12-04-2010, 02:33 PM
The best thing for Ben's foot is effective pass protection. Maybe one who needs a boot somewhere is Kemo.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-04-2010, 03:05 PM
The best thing for Ben's foot is effective pass protection. Maybe one who needs a boot somewhere is Kemo.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
12-04-2010, 03:40 PM
If it's snowy and windy and they have to run a lot I think Lefty starts if Ben can't hand off normally.

Can't hand off normally? :wft

hawaiiansteel
12-04-2010, 04:04 PM

Q. you know why they had to stop the Leper football game?

A. because there was a hand off in the backfield.

Crash
12-04-2010, 04:17 PM

Handing off is similar to a drop back. If they have to rely on the run because of weather. and he's having trouble with his drop back anyway, IMO Lefty will start.