PDA

View Full Version : Florio Wants Harrison Suspended

Jooser
12-02-2010, 01:16 PM
This guy is always a douchebag as far as the Steelers are concerned:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -steelers/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/02/a-suspension-will-be-the-only-way-to-get-through-to-harrison-steelers/)

A suspension will be the only way to get through to Harrison, Steelers

Posted by Mike Florio on December 2, 2010, 11:28 AM EST

With $125,000 in league-imposed fines for unnecessary roughness and $100,000 of them already upheld by the former coaches (Art Shell and Ted Cottrell) hired jointly by the league and the NFLPA, Steelers linebacker James Harrison refuses to accept the fact that the hits for which he has been fined are illegal hits.

ďIt angers me, of course, that theyíre taking absurd amounts of money from me for plays that I consider to be clean and legal hits,Ē Harrison said Wednesday, per the Associated Press. ďIím sure if you asked 10 guys in the league, nine of them would say heís not a dirty player. Heís a hard player. Heís just getting a bad [reputation] right now.Ē

The root of the problem? No one close to Harrison has the ability, the motivation, and/or the nerve to speak to him truthfully and candidly. A defenseless player (e.g., a receiver in the act of catching a pass and a quarterback in the act of throwing a pass) canít be hit in the head or with the head. Itís that simple.

For his most recent $25,000 fine, Harrison put his helmet into the chest of Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. It doesnít matter that Harrison didnít hit Fitzpatrick in the head. Harrison led with his helmet. Itís an illegal hit. Ditto for the $20,000 fine imposed after Harrison put his helmet into the back of Saints quarterback Drew Brees. And a pro athlete who continues to make illegal hits fairly will be labeled, eventually, a dirty player.

Ironically, Harrison has a teammate in Troy Polamalu who could simply pull him aside and say, ďLook at what I did to Terrell Owens. I hit him with my shoulder in the midsection. Thatís all you have to do. Quit dipping and leading with your helmet.Ē

Harrison also has a head coach who could ó and should ó do the same thing, instead of harming his own credibility by publicly bemoaning the ability of Harrison to send his kids to college when a sliver of his $50 million contract has been involuntarily donated to former players who canít afford to pay their hospital bills.

Former Buccaneers and Colts coach Tony Dungy thinks that the message will be delivered to and received by Harrison only after he receives a suspension.

ďItís natural for coaches to defense their players,Ē Dungy told PFT on Thursday morning, ďbut coaches like Mike Tomlin would be quicker to try to change technique if it meant players missing games. He doesnít want his players losing money but the team canít afford for them to miss time. Thatís when youíll see coaches change their thinking.Ē

Tomlin and the other Steelers, in our view, are willing to publicly support Harrison because they donít want him to change the way he plays. Only when the league makes clear that Harrison must change the way he plays by preventing him from playing will change ever happen.

Until then, Harrison will keeping doing what he does.

ďIím not playing dirty,Ē Harrison said. ďIím not doing anything thatís outside the lines. . . . Thereís nothing malicious or illegal about the way Iím playing or Iím tackling guys, so Iím going to continue to play the way Iím playing.Ē

Eventually, he wonít be playing at all, either because the NFL wonít let him play or because Harrison will decide he doesnít want to play. Or both.
:Hater

Ghost
12-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Why would any one read this a$$clown's site? Seriously, I don't know. He's got no more knowledge regarding football than 95% of the people posting here and there are quite a few here with a substantialy higher understanding.

It saddens me this douche is somehow looked upon as having any expertise.

ikestops85
12-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Wow, just Wow!! :wft

Dee Dub
12-02-2010, 01:43 PM
Throw out everything else that Florio says in his article and try if you can to focus on this partÖ

ďA defenseless player (e.g., a receiver in the act of catching a pass and a quarterback in the act of throwing a pass) canít be hit in the head or with the head. Itís that simple.
For his most recent $25,000 fine, Harrison put his helmet into the chest of Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. It doesnít matter that Harrison didnít hit Fitzpatrick in the head. Harrison led with his helmet. Itís an illegal hit. Ditto for the $20,000 fine imposed after Harrison put his helmet into the back of Saints quarterback Drew Brees. ď

Like it or not. This is what the league now says is against the rules. I think it would be in the best interest of the Steelers to conform and move on. The playoffs are just a few weeks away.

feltdizz
12-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Throw out everything else that Florio says in his article and try if you can to focus on this partÖ

ďA defenseless player (e.g., a receiver in the act of catching a pass and a quarterback in the act of throwing a pass) canít be hit in the head or with the head by Harrison. Itís that simple.
For his most recent $25,000 fine, Harrison put his helmet into the chest of Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. It doesnít matter that Harrison didnít hit Fitzpatrick in the head. Harrison led with his helmet. Itís an illegal hit. Ditto for the $20,000 fine imposed after Harrison put his helmet into the back of Saints quarterback Drew Brees. ď

Like it or not. This is what the league now says is against the rules. I think it would be in the best interest of the Steelers to conform and move on. The playoffs are just a few weeks away.

fixed it for ya

costanza2k1
12-02-2010, 01:55 PM

ďA defenseless player (e.g., a receiver in the act of catching a pass and a quarterback in the act of throwing a pass) canít be hit in the head or with the head. Itís that simple.

Start drop kicking f'ers then...

skyhawk
12-02-2010, 02:16 PM
garbage

grotonsteel
12-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Whorio is attention monger...

Dee Dub
12-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Whorio is attention monger...

Yep....and guess who his John's are? :lol:

Crash
12-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Bouchette today......

Roethlisbergerís teammates are incensed that he keeps getting beat up and now injured after whistles while their own linebacker gets smacked by all these fines. They also believe that the NFL has told the officials to watch Chris Kemoeatu and perhaps some other offensive linemen as well.

Iíve covered this game a long time and I donít know that I ever saw a lineman called for holding four times in a game. The one I looked at closely on DVR was not a hold. He had a closed fist on the guyís shoulder.

I do not think the NFL is targeting the Steelers as a group. I do believe they are trying to make an example out of James Harrison, for whatever reason. And I do believe that they do not protect Roethlisberger the way they do other quarterbacks, most specifically Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

hawaiiansteel
12-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Whorio is a Ravens' lover from way back, dismiss anything he has to say with several grains of salt... :moon

Dee Dub
12-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Whorio is a Ravens' lover from way back, dismiss anything he has to say with several grains of salt... :moon

Agreed with you about Florio...but the fact that keeps getting overlooked here, is that this is what the league is saying..

flippy
12-02-2010, 02:58 PM
I Want Florio Suspended.

And the Steelers linemen should start wearing boxing gloves. Or pretend they all broke their hands and wear casts. That should stop the holding calls.

Re: Ben taking lots of shots, it's just his size. I remember Leftwhich, Culpepper, etc. taking shots that would have gotten guys suspended if they hit Brady or Manning that hard.

I bet guys like Freeman, Garrard, McNabb, Campbell, etc get their fair share of hits like Ben.

Plus it's a fine line for the officials. If they blow a whistle too soon, you take away some of Ben's most spectacular plays.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-02-2010, 04:43 PM

Like it or not. This is what the league now says is against the rules.

Then why are they not uniformly applying punishment? A bunch of players "led with their helmets" on hits last weekend...a few of them were even "helmet-to-helmet" hits... but DIDN'T get FINED.

The league can SAY whatever it wants, but its ACTIONS demonstrate something else.

I think it would be in the best interest of the Steelers to conform and move on. The playoffs are just a few weeks away.

You of all people should know that it is no small matter to just all of a sudden completely change defensive approach and technique that has been practiced for a couple of decades.

They are EMASCULATING our TEAM! If the Steelers try to morph into an all-finesse defense here in week 13, they will NOT make the playoffs.

In view of the fact that the playoffs are just a few weeks away, I think it would be in the best interest of the Steelers--and Steelers fans--to speak out and expose Goodell and Co. for their "hypocrisy" (to use Hines Ward's terminology).

When even Terrell Suggs is taking them to task for their unfairness in what they're doing, you know there's a blatant problem.

Read this: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 11816.html

anger 82&95
12-02-2010, 04:51 PM
What a sanctimonious sheep pimp! Since when do Shell and Cottrell display even a modicum of impartiality?

feltdizz
12-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Bouchette today......

Roethlisbergerís teammates are incensed that he keeps getting beat up and now injured after whistles while their own linebacker gets smacked by all these fines. They also believe that the NFL has told the officials to watch Chris Kemoeatu and perhaps some other offensive linemen as well.

Iíve covered this game a long time and I donít know that I ever saw a lineman called for holding four times in a game. The one I looked at closely on DVR was not a hold. He had a closed fist on the guyís shoulder.

I do not think the NFL is targeting the Steelers as a group. I do believe they are trying to make an example out of James Harrison, for whatever reason. And I do believe that they do not protect Roethlisberger the way they do other quarterbacks, most specifically Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

Holding can be called every play.. but it sure seems like the majority of ours are on long gains.

They are definitely making an example out of Harrison. I think his line about wanting to hurt players really struck a nerve and he recanted the next day. Pretty sure this is why he is targeted.

Ben does get clobbered more than Manning and Brady... but he is also the only QB of the 3 who can break out of the grasp of a 300lb defender. If he curled up like Manning or Brady he would probably get more calls... but he wouldn't be special if he curled up like them.

..anything after the whistle should be called.

steelblood
12-02-2010, 05:26 PM
I can't believe that the league hasn't fined the Bill's players that twisted up Ben. It was completely unnecessary and after the whistle. Player safety, my butt.

Flasteel
12-02-2010, 05:30 PM

Conform to what? Find me one person with an ounce of football sense who thinks his hit on Fitzpatrick was not textbook. Check that. Find me one person NOT tied to the league office.

NW Steeler
12-02-2010, 05:34 PM
I think Mr. Harrison should introduce himself to Florio. That douche bag can kiss my bare white AZZZ! Figuratively speaking, of course.

:moon

oh yeah,

:ratsuck

aggiebones
12-02-2010, 06:01 PM
I wonder if they protect Brady and Manning more because they just go down under pressure and never try to fight through tackles.
Ben obviously does whatever he can to escape and thus force defensive players to work harder to get him to the ground.
Not saying its right, just wondering if that's why he doesn't get calls.

ter1230_4
12-02-2010, 07:24 PM
They are definitely making an example out of Harrison. I think his line about wanting to hurt players really struck a nerve and he recanted the next day. Pretty sure this is why he is targeted.

Harrison is being targeted not only for those comments, but because he refused to confess that his hit in the Browns game was illegal and has repeatedly stated that he is not going to change his style of play. It is completely irrelevant that the hit WAS legal. And the following week when Roger's henchman Ray Anderson tried to show an example of how Harrison had recognized the error of his ways and avioded a hit on Ronnie Brown, Harrison not only denied it but Coach Tomlin ridiculed Anderson. In Roger's Gulag, the prisoners are required at all times to to acknowledge the ultimate wisdom of Master Roger and his henchman, and the penalty for failing to do so is that Master Roger revokes your right to breathe. No football fan alive who watched the last two Steelers games could possibly deny that the NFL has targeted the Steelers in general, and Harrison in particular. Hell has no fury like the empty suits when they feel insulted.

ALLD
12-02-2010, 08:57 PM
What a sanctimonious sheep pimp! Since when do Shell and Cottrell display even a modicum of impartiality?

Art Shell was a Raider.

Florio is trying to start something so it will seem like a benefit to the league to suspend Harrison. There are some people who believe if you repeat something over and over again, even it is false, the repitition will make it true.

Dee Dub
12-02-2010, 09:20 PM

Conform to what? Find me one person with an ounce of football sense who thinks his hit on Fitzpatrick was not textbook. Check that. Find me one person NOT tied to the league office.

This isnt about finding people who think it was a bad hit. This is about having one of the Steelers best players on the field at a time when it is most important---the playoff push.

I agree it was a bad call but that means nothing. The league is now calling these as hits against league policy.

It is time to fish or cut bait. Move on. Conform or we are going to lose a very key, pivotal player when we can ill-afford it most.

Flasteel
12-02-2010, 09:34 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":343nrulv]Throw out everything else that Florio says in his article and try if you can to focus on this partÖ

This isnt about finding people who think it was a bad hit. This is about having one of the Steelers best players on the field at a time when it is most important---the playoff push.

I agree it was a bad call but that means nothing. The league is now calling these as hits against league policy.

It is time to fish or cut bait. Move on. Conform or we are going to lose a very key, pivotal player when we can ill-afford it most.[/quote:343nrulv]

I hear you brother...it's just that when legal and perfectly good tackles are now considered penalties, what are you supposed to do? How effective is our pivotal player going to be if he's not allowed to hit the quarterback?

How about the very possible scenario of Harrison, or one of our other pass-rushers laying up and letting a Joe Flacco or Mark Sanchez hit a big play?

skyhawk
12-02-2010, 11:23 PM

Art Shell was a Raider.

Florio is trying to start something so it will seem like a benefit to the league to suspend Harrison. There are some people who believe if you repeat something over and over again, even it is false, the repitition will make it true.

And there you have it folks. :Clap

Smashmouth
12-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Just glad Art Shell has a job. Can you imagine how much it would cost the tax payers to feed that guy? Maybe we should just take the helmets away all together. What a freaking joke. :HeadBanger

anger 82&95
12-03-2010, 07:40 AM
Just glad Art Shell has a job. Can you imagine how much it would cost the tax payers to feed that guy? Maybe we should just take the helmets away all together. What a freaking joke. :HeadBanger
This quote from The Simpsons describes Shell quite nicely: "Twas a moonless night, dark as pitch, when out of the mist came a beast more stomach than man.Ē