PDA

View Full Version : SI: Steelers will miss playoffs

hawaiiansteel
12-01-2010, 08:28 PM
NFL playoff projections, Week 13

Dom Bonvissuto > INSIDE THE NFL
Wednesday, Dec. 1, 2010

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2010/writers/dom_bonvissuto/12/01/nfl-playoff-projections-week-13/matt-cassel-si.jpg

For the first time in NFL history, all eight divisions have at least two teams in first place, or within one game of first, through 12 weeks. Whether it's the result of true parity or pure luck, the unprecedented tightness of the standings will make the end of the regular season that much more exciting and the college bowl system look that much more meaningless.

It will also make our job that much harder.

Beginning today, SI.com will publish weekly playoff projections. We will lay out the playoff picture two ways: 1) As though the season ended today, and 2) As though the season will play out the way we predict it will.

We will use the NFL's official tiebreaker procedures to determine seeding. If you have any questions or comments, please e-mail us or find us on Twitter. Without further ado...

AFC

NEW YORK JETS (9-2)
If The Playoffs Started Today: In; No. 1 seed
Remaining Schedule (Projected Results): at New England (L); vs. Miami (W); at Pittsburgh (W); at Chicago (L); vs. Buffalo (W)
Final Projected Record, Playoff Seeding: 12-4; No. 5 seed
Extra Point: The Jets are 5-0 on the road right now, and to earn the No. 1 seed they'd likely have to go at least 2-1 through a very difficult Foxboro-Pittsburgh-Chicago gauntlet over the next four weeks (with Miami at home as well). If they get home-field advantage, you won't be able to say they didn't earn it.
BALTIMORE RAVENS (8-3)
If The Playoffs Started Today: In; No. 2 seed
Remaining Schedule (Projected Results): vs. Pittsburgh (W); at Houston (W); vs. New Orleans (L); at Cleveland (W); vs. Cincinnati (W)
Final Projected Record, Playoff Seeding: 12-4; No. 2 seed
Extra Point: We project 11 wins will get a playoff spot in the AFC, so Ravens fans can breathe easy with three very winnable games left. Get one more against either the Steelers or Saints, and the Ravens can call themselves division champs for the first time since 2006.
KANSAS CITY CHIEFS (7-4)
If The Playoffs Started Today: In; No. 3 seed
Remaining Schedule (Projected Results): vs. Denver (W); at San Diego (L); at St. Louis (W); vs. Tennessee (W); vs. Oakland (W)
Final Projected Record, Playoff Seeding: 11-5; No. 6 seed
Extra Point: Can the previously considered weak West really get two teams into the postseason? Believe it. If the Chiefs can take care of business at Arrowhead, a notoriously tough place to play late in the season (K.C. is 37-13 in December since 1983), and go 1-1 against San Diego and St. Louis, they're in.
JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS (6-5)
If The Playoffs Started Today: In; No. 4 seed
Remaining Schedule (Projected Results): at Tennessee (L); vs. Oakland (W); at Indianapolis (L); vs. Washington (W); at Houston (L)
Final Projected Record, Playoff Seeding: 8-8; out
Extra Point: Inconsistency reigns in the AFC South, where no team seems capable of taking charge. Don't expect it to be the Jags, who have all three division road games still to go.
NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS (9-2)
If The Playoffs Started Today: In; No. 5 seed
Remaining Schedule (Projected Results): vs. N.Y. Jets (W); at Chicago (W); vs. Green Bay (L); at Buffalo (W); vs. Miami (W)
Final Projected Record, Playoff Seeding: 13-3; No. 1 seed
Extra Point: The path to the No. 1 seed for the Pats is simple: Take care of business in the division and split the two remaining games against the NFC North. One thing to point out: the Jets and Pats are very close in tiebreakers, and in one scenario, we had them both at 13-3 and going all the way to the strength of victory tiebreaker to determine the No. 1 seed. Bottom line: Winning on Monday doesn't guarantee the Pats anything.
PITTSBURGH STEELERS (8-3)
If The Playoffs Started Today: In; No. 6 seed
Remaining Schedule (Projected Results): at Baltimore (L); vs. Cincinnati (W); vs. N.Y. Jets (L); vs. Carolina (W); at Cleveland (L)
Final Projected Record, Playoff Seeding: 10-6; out
Extra Point: It's obviously only a hunch, but that finale against the Browns has upset written all over it. Before Steelers fans riot in anger, let's point out the good: should Pittsburgh beat Cleveland and finish 11-5, tying them with K.C., the Steelers would win the tiebreaker based on record against common opponents.
SAN DIEGO CHARGERS (6-5)
If The Playoffs Started Today: Out
Remaining Schedule (Projected Results): vs. Oakland (W); vs. Kansas City (W); vs. San Francisco (W); at Cincinnati (W); at Denver (W)
Final Projected Record, Playoff Seeding: 11-5; No. 3 seed (wins tiebreaker with Kansas City on division record)
Extra Point: Seems like everyone believes the Chargers will win out, and looking at that remaining schedule, it's hard to disagree. Even if San Diego lost one to fall to 10-6 and into a tie with Pittsburgh, the Chargers would win that tiebreaker based on conference record.
INDIANAPOLIS COLTS (6-5)
Remaining Schedule (Projected Results): vs. Dallas (W); at Tennessee (L); vs. Jacksonville (W); at Oakland (W); vs. Tennessee (W)
Final Projected Record, Playoff Seeding: 10-6; No. 4 seed
Extra Point: Nothing we predict in the final five for the Colts seems like a reach, so as long as Peyton Manning and company can hold the line, they'll make it nine straight postseason berths.
MIAMI DOLPHINS (6-5)
Remaining Schedule (Projected Results): vs. Cleveland (W); at N.Y. Jets (L); vs. Buffalo (W); vs. Detroit (L); at New England (L)
Extra Point: Pull a stunner in Week 14 at the Meadowlands and we'll talk.
HOUSTON TEXANS (5-6)
Remaining Schedule (Projected Results): at Philadelphia (L); vs. Baltimore (L); at Tennessee (L); at Denver (W); vs. Jacksonville (W)
Final Projected Record, Playoff Seeding: 7-9; out
Extra Point: Gary Kubiak's bunch has done nothing to make anyone believe it can run the table, which it likely needs to do to make its first postseason.
TENNESSEE TITANS (5-6)
Remaining Schedule (Projected Results): vs. Jacksonville (W); vs. Indianapolis (W); vs. Houston (W); at Kansas City (L); at Indianapolis (L)
Extra Point: Even if the Titans get hot -- a big if, seeing as how they've lost four straight -- those two roadies to finish will be too much for Jeff Fisher's club.
OAKLAND RAIDERS (5-6)
Remaining Schedule (Projected Results): at San Diego (L); at Jacksonville (L); vs. Denver (W); vs. Indianapolis (L); at Kansas City (L)
Final Projected Record, Playoff Seeding: 6-10; out
Extra Point: Losing all but one of their final five games may be too harsh of a prediction for a team that's shown more than a little spunk this season, but tough to see the Raiders mounting any kind of run to the playoffs.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/w ... z16uQgYo9n (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/dom_bonvissuto/12/01/nfl-playoff-projections-week-13/index.html#ixzz16uQgYo9n)

BradshawsHairdresser
12-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Isn't this the same magazine that, prior to the season, picked the Steelers to win the Super Bowl?

Crash
12-01-2010, 09:56 PM
The Chiefs and Chargers can both be 11-5. Need the Chiefs to lose two. That's our best WC hope.

papillon
12-01-2010, 11:07 PM
The Steelers best hope is to win 5 more f***ing games starting Sunday night and not worry about it.

Pappy

Discipline of Steel
12-02-2010, 12:22 AM
Arent the stupid Chargers already on a 5 game winning streak? Why does EVERYONE just assume they will win out their final 5 games to make it 10 in a row? If they lose even 1, we will likely finish with a better record than them.

Steelers are not bowing down to any team because of injury or whatever, they have battled adversity all season and come through with an 8-3 record so far. Its not like we're down to our last chance. I say we beat the Ravens and finish 12-4. Chargers cant touch that. We are definately in the playoffs.

Starlifter
12-02-2010, 12:42 AM
it's simple. win sunday and we are in control. lose and we'll need help.

Crash
12-02-2010, 12:57 AM
We are still in control at 12-4 or 11-5.

Anything less than 11, then we need help.

AkronSteel
12-02-2010, 02:17 AM
The Steelers would have to completely fall apart to not make the playoffs. They may lose Sunday but the rest of the schedule sets up nice for them. The Bengals are next and they quit 5 weeks ago. The Jets have to come to the Burgh with Mark Sanchez as their QB and they haven't been real impressive in a while. Sanchez will have a rough day, I guarantee it. The Panthers.......well I don't think I really need to say much more about that one. Then the Steelers close in Cleveland on 10 days rest. I will take my chances with that situation.

:2c

LordVile
12-02-2010, 04:04 AM
The Steelers would have to completely fall apart to not make the playoffs. They may lose Sunday but the rest of the schedule sets up nice for them. The Bengals are next and they quit 5 weeks ago. The Jets have to come to the Burgh with Mark Sanchez as their QB and they haven't been real impressive in a while. Sanchez will have a rough day, I guarantee it. The Panthers.......well I don't think I really need to say much more about that one. Then the Steelers close in Cleveland on 10 days rest. I will take my chances with that situation.

:2c
:Beer yeah man, thats def the gospel truth. :Steel

steelblood
12-02-2010, 10:06 AM
I'm not sure I buy that the Chiefs will finish 4-1. They'll almost certainly lose to SD. They were killed by Denver earlier this season. Oakland or St. Louis could give them a run for their money as well. Even Tennessee could beat them.

hawaiiansteel
12-03-2010, 12:58 AM
great Yahoo Sports link to check out the different playoff scenarios:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario

proudpittsburgher
12-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Eh, even after the loss to NO, they still had us on top of the power polls. Now, one loss later, they have us out of the playoffs. If we win in Baltimore, there is a decent chance we are a top three or four team in their eyes. It changes every week, yet none of it will stick to them, they simply move on with a clean slate and call themselves geniuses, and guys like Cowherd still treat us as idiots.

birtikidis
12-03-2010, 03:57 PM
we are gonna go from "out" to the number 2 seed after this weekend. schmucks.

pfelix73
12-04-2010, 12:04 AM
Yea, I like our chances on Sunday night. Baltimore ain't all that. Their secondary is weak, and Ben will win us this game. Me thinks.

:tt1

eniparadoxgma
12-04-2010, 12:35 AM
The Steelers best hope is to win 5 more f***ing games starting Sunday night and not worry about it.

Pappy

It's one season Pap. Don't panic. If our play looks up we'll win out.

:)

hawaiiansteel
12-05-2010, 04:15 PM
If The Playoffs Began Today:

In the AFC, it would be 1. Jets (head-to-head advantage over Patriots), 2. Ravens (head-to-head advantage over Steelers), 3. Chiefs, 4. Jaguars (head-to-head advantage over Colts), 5. Patriots, 6. Steelers. First round: Steelers at Chiefs and Patriots at Jaguars.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... #storyjump (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2010/12/5/1856094/pregame-zone-blitz-it-all-comes-down-to-the-ravens#storyjump)