PDA

View Full Version : Ward lashes out at NFL

JAR
12-01-2010, 05:29 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5871501

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward has lashed out at the NFL for what he calls its hypocritical stance on many issues, including player safety.

•*He says the league suddenly is emphasizing player safety only because it wants to expand to an 18-game season.
Ward predicted Wednesday that a team will lose a game -- possibly in the playoffs -- because an official will make an incorrect call simply because he fears being disciplined by the league if he doesn't throw a flag.
Ward said there is considerable confusion around the league because players no longer know what hit is legal and what isn't. He also said the Steelers won't change their playing style to adopt to the ever-shifting rules, even if they keep getting fined.
Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher also criticized the NFL on Wednesday for its new emphasis on illegal hits.
"I think it's bull the way they are doing it," Urlacher said Wednesday on "Mike & Mike In The Morning" on ESPN Radio. "The thing I don't like about it is, if they say it, you pay the fine, that's all there is to it. I don't know who makes the decision. I don't know if it's one guy, two guys, but I don't think it's fair.
"I think we should have a panel of guys who look at those hits and go over them. And I think the money is outrageous. Why can't there be different levels of fines? A league minimum guy getting fined $50,000? That's a lot of money for a guy making $300,000 a year. ... It frustrates me every week when I see these hits and guys getting fined."

Crash
12-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Clark, Ward, and Harrison should just lease a private jet for their eventual meetings with the NFL and go together.

JAR
12-01-2010, 06:57 PM
More,,,,

"They league doesn't care about us anyway," said Ward, a 13-year veteran and the leading receiver in Steelers history. "They don't care about the safety of the game. If the league was so concerned about the safety, why are you adding two more games on? You talk about you don't want players to drink ... and all you see is beer commercials. You don't want us to gamble, but then there are (NFL-endorsed lottery scratch-off games)."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football ... ward_N.htm (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/steelers/2010-12-01-hines-ward_N.htm)

JAR
12-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs (FSY) took the unusual stance of agreeing with the rival Steelers during a conference call with Pittsburgh reporters.

"The league has their favorites," Suggs said Wednesday. "One being in Indy (Manning) and one being with that team up north (Brady). Besides those two, everybody is fair game. Like I always said, (the Bengals') Carson Palmer (FSY) got his knee hurt in 2005, but there was no rule made. Then Tom Brady got hit in the knee and all of a sudden there is rule and possible suspensions, excessive fines. It's just getting ridiculous."

Roethlisberger, asked about Suggs' comments, said, "He seems to know some things about the game of football."

hawaiiansteel
12-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs (FSY) took the unusual stance of agreeing with the rival Steelers during a conference call with Pittsburgh reporters.

"The league has their favorites," Suggs said Wednesday. "One being in Indy (Manning) and one being with that team up north (Brady). Besides those two, everybody is fair game. Like I always said, (the Bengals') Carson Palmer (FSY) got his knee hurt in 2005, but there was no rule made. Then Tom Brady got hit in the knee and all of a sudden there is rule and possible suspensions, excessive fines. It's just getting ridiculous."

Roethlisberger, asked about Suggs' comments, said, "He seems to know some things about the game of football."

Suggs: NFL has 'red flagged' Harrison

December 1st, 2010

A Ravens player coming to the defense of a Steeler?

Terrell Suggs did just that Wednesday when he said Steelers outside linebacker James Harrison has been “red-flagged” by the NFL.

“If he breaths on a quarterback he might get a flag,” the Ravens outside linebacker said during a conference call with Pittsburgh reporters.

Harrison has been fined four times for a total of $125,000 this season. The NFL docked the three-time Pro Bowler $25,000 Tuesday for hitting Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick in the chest with his helmet last Sunday.

“I do think they’re looking at him more closely than” anyone else, Suggs said.

When asked about the penalties and fines that have been a product of the league’s emphasis on player safety, Suggs said, “I think they’re stupid and definitely favoritism to the offensive side of the ball.”

Suggs said two quarterbacks, in particular, receive preferential treatment from the NFL.

“The league has their favorites,” Suggs said, “one being in Indy, one being in that other team up north.”

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/12/01/suggs-nfl-has-red-flagged-harrison/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

sentinel33
12-01-2010, 08:09 PM
all are very valid points by some very good, high profile players in the nfl. while i cringe at suggs' example his point rings true. this league operates so retro-actively. dont do anything about anything until the heat is on. R. Goodell is a hypocritical panty waste and i dont care how much the Rooneys like him. you know you are wrong when qb's like dilfer complain about the fines that are being levied out on these "illegal hits". im just sick of it.
im sick of goodell.

Crash
12-02-2010, 12:15 AM
Speaking of asshat Goodell an interesting quote today:

"The commissioner wasn't measuring the facts, but rather the [media] fallout. He knows I think that was inappropriate."

-David Cornwell on Ben Roethlisberger's suspension

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-02-2010, 12:15 AM
As funny as this is, this issue has brought Steelers and Ravens closer in thought. IIRC Ray Lewis was the first one to come out in support during that first wave of stupid fines.

drprwnap
12-02-2010, 01:04 AM
Thank God the players are speaking out. Chicken $hits Tomlin & Rooney won't say a word to the media. It's time for those two to speak up and stick up for their players. I'm losing a lot of respect for both of them (and gaining respect for Suggs). Call a spade a spade and forget about the "coach speak".
I hope more players speak out. Hines is right-talk about safety on one hand and expand the season by two games on the other. Hyp-o-crites! :twisted: :evil:

Oviedo
12-02-2010, 10:10 AM
As I said in another thread Goodell is a fraud and his "concern" about player safety is a negotiating ploy to get 18 games. His is telling the refs to force players to back off so he can artificially decrease injury stats and take away some leverage from the players for opposing 18 games and thereby trying to limit what the owners have to give back to the players to get 18 games.

I love that the players are finally speaking up and calling a spade a spade. I also love the "us against the world" mentality that the Steelers' players are taking. That can be a powerful motivator.

feltdizz
12-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Thank God the players are speaking out. Chicken $hits Tomlin & Rooney won't say a word to the media. It's time for those two to speak up and stick up for their players. I'm losing a lot of respect for both of them (and gaining respect for Suggs). Call a spade a spade and forget about the "coach speak".
I hope more players speak out. Hines is right-talk about safety on one hand and expand the season by two games on the other. Hyp-o-crites! :twisted: :evil:

Tomlin addressed the fines... thank goodness he has respect for himself and isn't b!tching like you about it... it wouldn't be a good look at all for him to Dennis Green himself on TV.

Of course the players are gaining your respect... they are the ones doing the hitting and getting the fines. I have seen the Ravens Suggs get a similar flag against Palmer for a clean sack and they lost that game.

But see... last year when the Ravens were getting shafted by the refs and talking about it after games what did we all say? When the Seahags complained, hell, still complain about the SB what do we say? Yet now that we feel we are being wronged we have a legit complaint?

I think we do this year... but did the fans of other teams have justification when they were pointing out bad calls? The miami game this year?

The refs are bad this year IMO.. have been for years but the more we talk about it the more we look like the same mofos we joked about in the past.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-02-2010, 01:36 PM
[quote]But see... last year when the Ravens were getting shafted by the refs and talking about it after games what did we all say?

IIRC For the most part a lot of forum members were agreeing that the calls were bad and that the Ravens got shafted.

When the Seahags complained, hell, still complain about the SB what do we say?

We said that they are whiners who don't know football. They were complaining about holding calls which are actually holding calls - unless they are on James Harrison. They complain about an offensive PI call which happened right in front of the official which was the right call. We laugh at them because they are wrong - plain and simple. As much as we complain about the "know-it-alls" on the board we must admit that almost every member here has watched a lot of football and knows a little something about how the game is played. Most of the Seahawk whiners seemed to have very little knowledge of the game.

And BTW, when it came to actual members of the NFL and not just the fans, who spoke on behalf of the Seahawks getting screwed? Their coaches and players only.

This time, who is speaking about us getting screwed? The coaches, the players, and players from other teams including our biggest rival. Why are Brian Urlcher, Terrel Suggs, Ray Lewis etc. coming out and saying things like these penalties and fines are wrong and JH is being targeted? Where are those players who believe in the policy on this? Where is Chan Gailey to speak on behalf of hits to his QB? Why was a similar but higher hit on Brett Favre not fineable?

On the other hand why was Brian Urlacher not speaking on behalf of the Seahawks in SB XL? We know that he has no problem wading into situations that don't involve him. As a matter of fact he is probably worse off commenting on the fines for fear that he might get the next Roger bullseye on his back. Where was Ray Lewis saying that there was no pass interference penalty in the endzone? Why didn't Suggs complain that Haggans wasn't really held?

Food for thought.

[/quote:8swwh2lf]

Mister Pittsburgh
12-02-2010, 02:01 PM
I found this from an article posted on another site....ridiculous.

While the NFL threatened suspensions for repeat offenders when it began its stricter enforcement of player safety rules earlier this season, Harrison has not been suspended. League spokesman Michael Signora said there was no such penalty for the Fitzpatrick hit Sunday because it wasn’t flagrant.

“It was illegal because the initial contact with the defenseless quarterback’s chest was made with his helmet,” Signora said in an e-mail to The Associated Press. “It was not a late hit. It was not a hit to the head. And he pulled off the quarterback when they hit the ground. Although it was not flagrant, as a multiple offender of the rules in this area, Harrison received a significant fine.”

hawaiiansteel
12-02-2010, 02:36 PM
hey Ray Anderson, you're just a puppet of Roger Goodell's... :moon

League rejects Steelers' claims about targeting team, Harrison

NFL.com Wire Reports
Published: Dec. 2, 2010

Ray Anderson, the NFL's executive vice president for football operations, responded to claims by several Pittsburgh Steelers that the league is targeting the team, particularly linebacker James Harrison, in an interview with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Thursday.

"I would say that's misguided and, frankly, completely untrue," Anderson said when asked if the Steelers are being targeted. "Every team and every player, hopefully, will have the confidence that, if they play within the rules, we won't have this problem."

Harrison was fined $25,000 this week for a helmet-leading hit on Buffalo Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, running Harrison's tab this season to $125,000 for four separate violations of the league's policy on illegal hits. "It angers me, of course, that they're taking absurd amounts of money from me for plays that I consider to be clean and legal hits," Harrison said Wednesday. "I'm sure if you asked 10 guys in the league, nine of them would say he's not a dirty player. He's a hard player. He's just getting a bad (reputation) right now."

Anderson reiterated the league's decree from earlier this season that those inflicting helmet-to-helmet or flagrant hits will be subject to suspension.

Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward lashed out at the NFL on Wednesday for what he calls its hypocritical stance on player safety, arguing the league recently toughened its stance only because it wants to expand to an 18-game season.

"The league doesn't care about us anyway," said Ward, a 13-year veteran and the leading receiver in Steelers history. "They don't care about the safety of the game. If the league was so concerned about the safety, why are you adding two more games on? You talk about you don't want players to drink ... and all you see is beer commercials. You don't want us to gamble, but then there are (NFL-endorsed lottery scratch-off games)."

Asked about Ward's charge, Anderson said, "I have no comment to Hines Ward."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... _headlines (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81c948de/article/league-rejects-steelers-claims-about-targeting-team-harrison?module=HP_headlines)

Crash
12-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Ray Anderson is a weasel. All you have to know about him is that he was once Dennis Green's agent.

feltdizz
12-02-2010, 02:42 PM
[quote]But see... last year when the Ravens were getting shafted by the refs and talking about it after games what did we all say?

IIRC For the most part a lot of forum members were agreeing that the calls were bad and that the Ravens got shafted.

When the Seahags complained, hell, still complain about the SB what do we say?

We said that they are whiners who don't know football. They were complaining about holding calls which are actually holding calls - unless they are on James Harrison. They complain about an offensive PI call which happened right in front of the official which was the right call. We laugh at them because they are wrong - plain and simple. As much as we complain about the "know-it-alls" on the board we must admit that almost every member here has watched a lot of football and knows a little something about how the game is played. Most of the Seahawk whiners seemed to have very little knowledge of the game.

And BTW, when it came to actual members of the NFL and not just the fans, who spoke on behalf of the Seahawks getting screwed? Their coaches and players only.

This time, who is speaking about us getting screwed? The coaches, the players, and players from other teams including our biggest rival. Why are Brian Urlcher, Terrel Suggs, Ray Lewis etc. coming out and saying things like these penalties and fines are wrong and JH is being targeted? Where are those players who believe in the policy on this? Where is Chan Gailey to speak on behalf of hits to his QB? Why was a similar but higher hit on Brett Favre not fineable?

On the other hand why was Brian Urlacher not speaking on behalf of the Seahawks in SB XL? We know that he has no problem wading into situations that don't involve him. As a matter of fact he is probably worse off commenting on the fines for fear that he might get the next Roger bullseye on his back. Where was Ray Lewis saying that there was no pass interference penalty in the endzone? Why didn't Suggs complain that Haggans wasn't really held?

Food for thought.

[/quote:pf3jpt5m]
This is why people shouldn't edit one line out of a post. You totally changed the context of my response.

Last year most fans on here made fun of the Ravens when they were pointing out bad calls or perceived bad calls.

As far as the Seahags... you are actually helping to make my point. The initial post was in response to someone saying ARII needs to speak up to get something done about the calls. and how Tomlin and ARII have lost his respect...

but we see what happens when one organization points out a bad call or numerous bad calls against their team.Whether legit or not they are labeled whiners...

At the party I was at during SB XL in Detroit attended by mostly Steeler fans, more than a few said the call was bad but we gladly accepted it. If we were called for that push off or any push off similar to that we would go nuts and cry foul. I know I would. Fans of a team always see it their way... this is why outside eyes have to speak up on our behalf.

ARII saying the refs are wrong doesn't have any weight... but players, coaches and other reps on different teams make it obvious the calls are shady.

Djfan
12-02-2010, 04:34 PM
As funny as this is, this issue has brought Steelers and Ravens closer in thought. IIRC Ray Lewis was the first one to come out in support during that first wave of stupid fines.

This doesn't surprise me one bit. Their games are very similar, and both are threatened by the pussification of the league.

Watch for other smash mouth team members to speak up.

All they want is a man's league.

feltdizz
12-02-2010, 04:44 PM

This doesn't surprise me one bit. Their games are very similar, and both are threatened by the pussification of the league.

Watch for other smash mouth team members to speak up.

All they want is a man's league.

Ravens have been flagged for routine sacks just like Harrison. It's obvious the league doesn't want AFCN style football...

I was just over at ESPN and reading the comments about Hines shows what most fans think of our team.

They call Hines dirty... they think we are t.hugs and are out to injure. What we have loved and cherished is frowned on by the rest of the league's fans.

They don't want hard hits... they want FF points.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-02-2010, 05:28 PM
This is why people shouldn't edit one line out of a post. You totally changed the context of my response.

Last year most fans on here made fun of the Ravens when they were pointing out bad calls or perceived bad calls.

Sorry to pull two lines out of your post again :lol:

I don't do it to distort statements, I do it to make it cleaner and easier to read and to pinpoint what I'm responding to.

Also, I was disagreeing with your point on the Ravens last year. I remember a lot of people agreeing that they got hosed and not calling them out for whining. In truth we are probably both right and there were plenty of both.

My point was that as a somewhat experienced and knowledgeable fan, as I think most here are, I exercise the right to decide on my own which whines are legit and which are simply whines. Just complaining does not either make you a whiner or ensure your legitimacy. We are fans of the Steelers so obviously we are more likely to see their point, but I saw the bad calls on Baltimore last year as legit as well.

drprwnap
12-02-2010, 11:30 PM

Tomlin addressed the fines... thank goodness he has respect for himself and isn't b!tching like you about it... it wouldn't be a good look at all for him to Dennis Green himself on TV.

Of course the players are gaining your respect... they are the ones doing the hitting and getting the fines. I have seen the Ravens Suggs get a similar flag against Palmer for a clean sack and they lost that game.

But see... last year when the Ravens were getting shafted by the refs and talking about it after games what did we all say? When the Seahags complained, hell, still complain about the SB what do we say? Yet now that we feel we are being wronged we have a legit complaint?

I think we do this year... but did the fans of other teams have justification when they were pointing out bad calls? The miami game this year?

The refs are bad this year IMO.. have been for years but the more we talk about it the more we look like the same mofos we joked about in the past.

Where did I say I wanted Tomlin to go "Dennis Green"?? Since you're not "b!tching about it, I guess you're okay will all the calls on Harrison??? The "full body weight" call??? You think the calls against Seahags in SB XL were wrong?? If so, you don't know $hit about foottball. As far as the Ravens, they got screwed in ONE game. Not multiple games like we are facing this year with no end in sight. Not all the calls on Harrison were wrong. But if you don't think he is being "targeted" then you must be blind.

pfelix73
12-02-2010, 11:45 PM
As much as it pains me to say this, it might be good for the league if they don't play any games next year while the 2 sides hash all this out. After hearing Hines go off today about the 2 extra games, there is def. some tensions between the 2 sides on just that subject alone. We need a new league to compete....

:tt1

aggiebones
12-03-2010, 11:54 AM
One player that can wholly go after the league is Hines Ward.
Reason?
He is about to retire in a year or two max. Harrison has to watch his tongue to a degree. Tomlin is new in the league and not really his place to hammer the league. The Rooneys are trying to keep their voice for bigger issues. Yes bigger issues. The re-organization of the CBA. They will need ALL their bullets in the gun for a favorable CBA for the Steelers.

So Ward needs to be the loudest voice on the team and he is. Thankfully.

hawaiiansteel
12-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Confusion continues regarding legal, illegal hits

Posted by Mike Florio on December 4, 2010, 4:02 PM EST

On October 17, a series of big hits forced the NFL, which wants to “enhance” the season from 16 to 18 games, to take steps aimed at limiting certain hits against certain players in certain types of conditions.

The concept is simple. Generally speaking, players in defenseless postures (most importantly, those who are catching a pass and those who are throwing one) can’t be hit in the head or with the head. Though greatly complexity resides in the margins, the basic rule can be summarized that easily.

For a variety of reasons, the league’s message hasn’t really taken. In some respects, the league hasn’t communicated effectively the things that the rules allow and forbid. Also, the league’s more lenient handling of infractions like cheating (Spygate II) and fighting (Johnson-Finnegan I) has created a sense of inconsistency regarding the league’s zeal in enforcing the rules. To make matters worse, some in the media have done a poor job of drawing the line between legal and illegal hits.

Then there’s the reality that players generally have resisted — and in Pittsburgh loudly — the league’s enhanced enforcement methods. But much of the complaints are inaccurate, primarily because the players refuse to comprehend the rules, or because they choose to ignore them.

And now the virus is spreading beyond Pittsburgh.

Earlier this week, Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs said that Steelers linebacker James Harrison has been “red-flagged” by the league, an accurate observation given that Harrison: (1) has violated the rules multiple times; and (2) has said repeatedly that he won’t change his ways. Now, Ravens linebacker Jarret Johnson has supplied a sound bite that speaks more to the question of whether Harrison is being targeted unfairly.

“I don’t think a tenth of that is fair to him,” Johnson tells Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com in reference to the $125,000 in fines imposed on Harrison for four separate incidents during the 2010 season.

Johnson’s perspective possibly has been skewed by his experiences. Marvez reports that, since the start of the 2009 season, the officials failed on 11 of 12 occasions to throw a flag in response to an illegal hit on Baltimore quarterback Joe Flacco.

As a result, Flacco doesn’t care about fines imposed after the fact; he wants flags thrown when flags are merited. “If it is a penalty, that’s all I want,” Flacco told Marvez. “I don’t want them to get fined a week afterward. I’ve gotten hit in the head and we haven’t had any roughing-the-passer calls. There’s been several over the past couple of years and we don’t get penalties. . . . I just hope it gets called evenly both ways.”

As to the Ravens defense, coach John Harbaugh has sounded far more reasonable that his counterpart in Pittsburgh when talking about one of his players.

“He’s just as physical as he’s ever been,” Harbaugh told Marvez regarding linebacker Ray Lewis. “But he’s been doing it within the rules, I think out of respect for the guys he’s been going against.”

That’s the thing that often gets lost in this discussion. Though the league admits the connection between expanding the season and increasing the enforcement methods for illegal hits, the fact that these illegal hits can injure players is irrelevant to the total number of games played. If players spent more time reflecting on the purpose of these rules and less time on complaining about the impact on their ability to deliver crippling hits, maybe the players would simply commit to adhering to the rules.

Until that happens, the issue will continue to provide a distraction, especially as more fines (and maybe suspensions) are used to effect change.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... egal-hits/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/04/confusion-continues-regarding-legal-illegal-hits/)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Can someone 411 me please ... is Florio originally from Pittsburgh? Did his daughter get dumped by Mark Malone or something?

Why is someone so vilely opinionated given time on major networks (doesn't he spout his cr*p after the MNF games or something)?

tiproast
12-04-2010, 07:59 PM
Can someone 411 me please ... is Florio originally from Pittsburgh? Did his daughter get dumped by Mark Malone or something?

Why is someone so vilely opinionated given time on major networks (doesn't he spout his cr*p after the MNF games or something)?
Floria is a huge West Virginia fan. His anti-Pittsburgh bias probably stems from that.

I suspect that on the NFL level he may be a Browns fan. And so his anti-Patriots bias probably comes from some kind of Belichick schadenfreude.

Florio gained fame from getting on the Vick dog-fighting story early and sticking with it. His site is less about real football than about attention-grabbing headlines. There's no real integrity behind what he puts up on his site. Consider two stories that broke on the same day: Spygate II and Will Smith spousal abuse. There were multiple threads about Spygate II over several days. There was one story about Smith. Had it been a Patriots player or a Steelers player that had done what Smith did, do you think Florio would have published only one story about it?

RuthlessBurgher
12-04-2010, 08:08 PM

Floria is a huge West Virginia fan. His anti-Pittsburgh bias probably stems from that.

I suspect that on the NFL level he may be a Browns fan. And so his anti-Patriots bias probably comes from some kind of Belichick schadenfreude.

Florio gained fame from getting on the Vick dog-fighting story early and sticking with it. His site is less about real football than about attention-grabbing headlines. There's no real integrity behind what he puts up on his site. Consider two stories that broke on the same day: Spygate II and Will Smith spousal abuse. There were multiple threads about Spygate II over several days. There was one story about Smith. Had it been a Patriots player or a Steelers player that had done what Smith did, do you think Florio would have published only one story about it?

The Fresh Prince beats up Jada? That should be a HUGE story? Where was the Kung Fu Kid with all his Jackie Chan "hang up your jacket" training to stand up for his mother?

And, yes...I'm kidding...I know it is the New Orleans DE Will Smith, not Hancock.

hawaiiansteel
12-04-2010, 08:09 PM

I suspect that on the NFL level he may be a Browns fan.

I believe Florio is a Ravens lover... :ratsuck

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/deadspin/2009/09/610x.jpg

tiproast
12-04-2010, 08:14 PM
I believe Florio is a Ravens lover... :ratsuck

A cesspool of a city that doesn't deserve an NFL franchise. They let the one they had get away, and then stole one from another city.

Boy, do I hate those f***ers. A nice stomping by the Steelers this Sunday would be well-received in the northeast corner of the US, I think.