PDA

View Full Version : Steelers>NFL says THANK YOU!

Steelers>NFL
12-01-2010, 11:51 AM
on Sunday, my dog - a Shetland Sheepdog died. He has been sick for about 2 weeks.
Various syptoms. I decided not to hang out with friends, but stayed home with my dog.
I sat on the floor at 12:45pm watching the pre-show. He layed next to me tightly.
I was petting and comforting him non-stop. He was in pain. About 1:30pm, he passed. I was shocked, and lost it. I was, and still am somewhat a freaking mess. I am so sad, feel so empty. I am 46 years old, and not ashamed to say what a basket case I am.
We got him as a puppy. He was 9 years old. He was an awesome pet. My best friend.

I did DVR the game. But right now, it is immaterial while I am grieving. Hopefully, I'll be ready to watch some football Sunday night against the Ravens. We'll see. Not sure just yet.

Thanks for your time...

Steeelrs>NFL

flippy
12-01-2010, 11:58 AM
sucks. sorry bro.

get a new dog quickly. it makes it easier.

kindlecatsb'ng
12-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Much sympathy on your loss of your best friend. The grief is real and takes time to integrate with your moving on without the feeling of tremendous sadness and loss.

My pets (cats) are my family as much as the two legged family members are and I've lost a few to illness. To this day, I miss them. :(

The good thing is that they are always a part of us and live on in our heart. Know that your special relationship with your dog was reciprocated and that you gave your best to his care and welfare. You were totally there with him until his physical life ended.

Take all the time you need to heal and know the PlanetSteeler Nation will be there to support you.

Kindle

sentinel33
12-01-2010, 12:38 PM
i know the ache you must be feeling right now my friend. that kind of loss is different than alot of the other emotions you feel in life. console yourself in the fact that you were the best pal he could've had while on this earth. he will always be there. its a unique bond. so grieve for the loss of your friend now and when you are done you can look back and enjoy all the great moments you had together. and there is probably alot of them. take care .

Dee Dub
12-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Sorry to hear this man. Yes there are more important things in our lives than a football game. I myself never was much of a cat person until my wife brought one into my life. Macy is one of the coolest things I have ever known or seen. What a trip this cat is. And she has actually changed my point of view on cats.

Hang in there Brother.

ikestops85
12-01-2010, 01:05 PM
I feel for ya. My wife and I wouldn't get a pet when the kids were growing up. Now that they are grown up and we are empty nesters we got a puppy 5 months ago. We named him Hines (sorry Crash) and it's amazing how quickly we became attached to him. It's hard to imagine what we would do without him now.

Take time and enjoy the memories ... then jump back into the water and get another one.

Ghost
12-01-2010, 01:24 PM
Condolences. And don't be surprised at how you feel. I have 2 boxers and basketcase is the exact word I'd use if I lost one of them (and I'm no spring chicken).

It's hard but think of all the great times you had, the laughs, and the awesome life you provided for him. He sounds as if he was truely loved.

anger 82&95
12-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Big, big loss… When I relocated to England, my wife and I had to give our dog away, and it was easily the hardest part of the whole transition. I swore I would never get attached to another animal, but my wife and daughter recently brought a kitten home, and… here goeth the cycle yet once again.

steelsnis
12-01-2010, 04:05 PM
Damn, sorry man. Anyone who's had a pet knows how hard this is to go through. Feel like I should post this.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

costanza2k1
12-01-2010, 04:26 PM
So sorry to hear about your loss. I agree that getting another pet is the only way to ease the pain. Don't think of another dog as a replacement, but rather another friend to help you cope with the pain.

AngryAsian
12-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Early in my life I had a Great Dane and lost him after 8 years of absolutely wonderful and loyal friendship. Anybody who doesn't empathize has never had the joy of having a beloved animal share their lives. I was 22 when I lost him... its been 22 years since and I still won't get any animal to replace him. Hang in there brother... at least he passed with his best friend next to him, and I'm sure that was a true comfort.

hawaiiansteel
12-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Steelers>NFL, I share your pain.

this Monday morning at 7:30am our beloved cat named Sassy passed on after 13 wonderful years with us. my wife and I both cried as she lay on the floor and closed her eyes, although we both knew death was a blessing since Sassy was in obvious pain.

we wrapped her in her blanket and buried her a couple hundred yards from our home in a wooded area where she won't be disturbed and we can go and visit her from time to time.

I will always love her in my heart and will cherish the memories I have of her and am so very grateful that she came into my life...

birtikidis
12-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Dude, I know exactly how you feel...
I have an awesome dog.. but, I know someday the same thing will happen (just like it did tot he other dogs i've owned).. bums me out and it hasn't even happened yet.

Crash
12-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Get a new dog quick. I've gone three months in my life without a dog and it sucked.

JAR
12-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Sorry to hear that, it sucks losing a pet. Go get yourself a rescue dog, it really does help.

jj28west
12-01-2010, 07:36 PM
This sucks...

There is something amazing about an animals non judgemental compassion and bond they create with you.

DukieBoy
12-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Thank you for sharing your loss with your brothers and sisters on the board. We share in your grief and offer support to you. Your grief comes through your deep love for your friend, love he experienced in all that your did with him and for him.

Your story is a bit like mine. My dear companion and lifelong friend, "DukieBoy", was 14 years old, a Springer Spaniel of great spirit. On January 31st, 2009, I had to take him to the vet and let him go. At the time, my wife was in California, and it was me and Dukie to the end. The next day was SuperBowl XLIII, which I watched alone with the heaviest of heart. When James intercepted that pass and ran it back 100 yards refusing to be stopped, to me that was just like my buddy, Dukie, out in the field. In my heart and mind, that will always be Dukie's Super Bowl.

Nearing two years later, the grief has softened, and the memories of the the great times Dukie and I shared have strengthened and grown much sweeter. I know I gave him the best I could, and I know he had a good life. I took his name, DukieBoy, for my board name.

My hope and prayer for you is that you find the grief to soften over time, the memories to grow stronger and sweeter, and that you find peace in the knowledge that you gave your dear companion the best life he could ever have.

on Sunday, my dog - a Shetland Sheepdog died. He has been sick for about 2 weeks.
Various syptoms. I decided not to hang out with friends, but stayed home with my dog.
I sat on the floor at 12:45pm watching the pre-show. He layed next to me tightly.
I was petting and comforting him non-stop. He was in pain. About 1:30pm, he passed. I was shocked, and lost it. I was, and still am somewhat a freaking mess. I am so sad, feel so empty. I am 46 years old, and not ashamed to say what a basket case I am.
We got him as a puppy. He was 9 years old. He was an awesome pet. My best friend.

I did DVR the game. But right now, it is immaterial while I am grieving. Hopefully, I'll be ready to watch some football Sunday night against the Ravens. We'll see. Not sure just yet.

Thanks for your time...

Steeelrs>NFL

Jooser
12-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Dang, I'm so sorry to hear that. It sucks losing a good friend. Take care.

Steelers>NFL
12-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Thank you fellow Steeler brothers and sisters for your kind support and encouraging words
to help cope with the loss of our beloved family dog, Tommy.
It is a very tough time for all of us (wife, 2 kids and myself). But especially for me. As I
was Tommy's leader/master. I will never forget him. He will always have a special place in my heart. He was a GREAT dog/family member. I keep telling myself that under the circumstances, Tommy passed the best possbile way. Him and I on the floor together.
With me giving him all the love and telling him "it is ok". I always said this to him when he got hurt, was injured or sick. And it is as if he knew his time was up. With me saying, "it is ok", he was calm and passed.

Thank you all. and as the expression goes "have you hugged your pet today"?
If not, please do it!

RuthlessBurgher
12-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Thank you all. and as the expression goes "have you hugged your pet today"?
If not, please do it!

Unless you have fish. That could get awkward and slippery.

Sorry to hear about your dog. Thanks for thinking enough of all of us to share your story here. I think that things like this bring our group closer as a true community, and I'm glad that the words of your brothers and sisters here were able to help you out at least a bit in this difficult time.

I've always had dogs, and was heartbroken when I had to give up our last dog Rooney when we found out that my daughter was allergic to dogs.

Now we have a new cat Pouncey (cats pounce, she's a Siamese cat, Maurkice Pouncey is so close to his brother that they might as well be Siamese twins...get it? My wife even picked out a #53 jersey for herself...which I often borrow...after we got the cat). The mangy mongrel sits on my lap or by my side during games (except when I freak out in response to a big play or a crappy call by the ref, which inevitably causes her to scatter away quickly...sorry 'bout that, Pouncer).

rpmpit
12-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Man, I started tearing up just reading that. First of all, Steelers>NFL, I'm so sorry for your loss. People who don't have pets have no idea the kind of bond that we form with them. I'm sure your pup loved the fact that you were with him, comforting him when he passed. That was an incredible final gift to give him. I'll keep you in my prayers and give my pup a huge hug when I get home today.

aggiebones
12-03-2010, 12:48 PM
RIP for your dog and mine which passed 5 years ago. You reminded me that he died a week ago.
I had several family dogs before, but he was mine and all through grad school and my first job away from home. He was my best friend. I got married and began my family and he died when my first son was 9 months old.
The rough part was stepping over him at night to get in bed. He slept right next to me on a futon cushion and I put my hand down to pet him quite often. When he was gone, I continued to step over where he should have been and my hand went wanting when I would half asleep reach down to pet him. It still saddens me when someone else loses a pet.
But you do move on and life brings new friends and I'm due to get a new family pet next year cause my 3 boys will drive me insane if I don't. I hope he's half the friend that Bones was.

SteelCrazy
12-03-2010, 01:02 PM
I am truly sorry for your loss. Tommy sounds as if he were one of the special kind. Those are rare and hard to find in any walk of life.