PDA

View Full Version : Steel Curtain: 2011 NFL Mock Draft - Round 1

hawaiiansteel
12-01-2010, 01:22 AM
NFL mock draft, one round, edition 1

by seton hall and steelers on Nov 30, 2010 5:45 PM EST

Well here it is. My first 2011 mock draft for the NFL.

1. Carolina Panthers: Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
This is becoming the consensus #1 draft pick right now. Luck has all the tools to become a franchise QB. He is big, strong, and has a great arm. IF the Panthers keep losing, they won't have any reason to think Clausen is the future. Luck is the future of the Panthers. It is clear that the Panthers won't win another game this year so this will be there pick.

2. Cincinnati Bengals: Da'quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
The Bengals need a new QB but unless they are picking at #1 there is no QB worth picking. So, they must pick another position of need. The Bengals have had no pass rush this year and that is mostly due to horrible DE's. Bowers has emerged as a dominating pass rusher at Clemson and is securing his way as a top 5 pick.

3. Detroit Lions: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
The Lions need some help on the Oline but there are no linemen worth top 10 picks. So they will do what they do and draft BPA. This time, it happens to fill a huge need as well. Peterson is the next Revis as he has great size, speed, and strength. He can make big plays and can play on an island.

4. Buffalo Bills: Marcell Dareus, DE/DT, Alabama
Dareus will be used at DE in Buffalo because Kyle Williams is a great NT. Dareus is a great run stopper and pass rusher. He is making tons of plays at Alabama and is one of the reasons they contained Cam Newton's running game. Buffalo could go with Robert Quinn or Nick Fairley here but I don't think they will.

5. Arizona Cardinals: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
The Cardinals need a QB but Locker and Mallet are not worth this pick. They could trade down but if they don't Amukamara is going to be the pick. IF Peterson is Revis, Amukamara is Asamogua. He can play on an island like Peterson. The only reason Peterson is considered better is because of his ball skills.

6. San Francisco 49ers: Ryan Mallet, QB, Arkansas
The 49ers are starting Troy Smith at QB. That is unacceptable. They must draft a QB no matter where they are picking. The question is Mallet or Locker. I think Mallet is better for the niners so I think that will be the pick.

7. Cleveland Browns: A.J. Green, WR, Georgia
It is clear the McCoy is the real deal so now they need to give him weapons. Green is the best receiver prospect since Calvin Johnson and the Browns just can't pass up on him.

8. Dallas Cowboys: Nick Fairley, DE/DT, Auburn
Since Peterson and Amukamara are gone, the Cowgirls will try to bolster a pitiful pass rush. Fairley is the 2nd best option here for them. Unfortunatley for them, Dareus is off the board so they take Fairley. Similar to the CB spots, Fairley is 1b to Dareus's 1a.

9. Denver Broncos: Allen Bailey, DE/DT, Miami
The Broncos are terrible stopping the run so they need to draft a Dlinemen. I think Bailey is overpicked here but the Broncos have a huge need here so they need to pick him.

10. Minnesota Vikings: Jake Locker, QB, Washington
Locker cost himself tons of money by staying for this year but he might still go into the top 10. The Vikings will need a QB because T-Jax can't start next year.

11. St. Louis Rams: Janoris Jenkins, CB, Florida
Even though I think Harris is better, I think the Rams will pick Jenkins. Many think Jenkins is better than Harris but not me. However, I don't make the picks. Anyways, Jenkins is an impact corner that could start at #2 for the Rams next year and eventually become a #1 corner.

12. Houston Texans: Robert Quinn, DE, UNC
The Texans could go corner here but with Quin playing better now they may elect to add another pass rusher across from Mario Williams. Quinn would be a top 5 pick if he was allowed to play this year. However, the Texans get a steal here to add to their pass rush.

13. San Diego Chargers: Adrian Clayborn, DE/DT, Iowa
The Chargers have horrible DE's and Clayborn, despite a down year, is still a huge upgrade over Cesaer.

14. New England Patriots, Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue
The Patriots could use some help with their pass rush. Also, since they have 2 first round picks they could trade down here into the second round and stockpile draft picks in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds.

15. Tennessee Titans: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
The Titans need a weapon outside of CJ. Moss is not a average WR in the NFL anymore and it is time the Titans get a good WR.

16. Washington Redskins: Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
Two straight Bama players. Ingram would let the Redskins move on from Clinton Portis. Ingram could become the next great RB in the NFL with his combination of power and speed.

17. Miami Dolphins: Brandon Harris, CB, Miami
The Dolphins need a CB opposite Davis and Harris is the answer. Harris has speed, size, and ball skills to play in the NFL.

18. Jacksonville Jaguars: Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State
The Jaguars drafted Alalu last year but with the Jaguars drafting strategies they will likely take another DL here. Paea is pretty good at OSU and he is a rapidly emerging first round pick.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State
The Bucs could really stand to land a top RB here but since Ingram is gone they will look to help the OL. Sherrod will help protect Freeman, who is the future, and also help the run game.

20. Chicago Bears: Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College
The Bears have allowed Cutler to be sacked 37 times this season and that is absurd. Castonzo specializes in pass blocking so he will help that stat.

21. Seattle Seahawks: Akeem Ayers, DE/OLB, UCLA
The Seahawks have only four sacks in the past five games so they need a pass-rusher desperately. Ayers can be that for the Hawks.

22. Kansas City Chiefs: Von Miller, DE/OLB, Texas A&M
The Chiefs need a pass rush and Miller specializes in that. He is very good coming off the edge but is a reliability in the run game. However, the Chiefs can use him on 3rd and long situations.

23. New York Giants: Travis Lewis, OLB, Oklahoma
Stintim is not very good, and Bullock retires soon. The Giants need a new multi-functional OLB and Lewis can be that. He is not awesome rushing the passer, but the Giants have enough pass rushers.

24. Baltimore Ravens: Aaron Williams, CB, Texas
The Ravens need help at corner and Williams fits their style. I think Burton or Dowling would be the better pick here but I think the Ravens will take Williams for their system

25. Indianapolis Colts: Jonathon Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh
The Colts are talented at WR. NO. Other than Wayne they don't have a real threat at WR. Also, Wayne will retire soon. Baldwin is a great WR who's stock is dropping because of a terrible QB.

26. New Orleans Saints: Justin Houston, DE/OLB, Georgia
The Saints are one good pass rusher away from being a great defense. Houston is an under-rated player that specializes in rushing the passer. He should be the Saints pick.

27. Philadelphia Eagles: Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin
The Eagles need a better Oline and Carimi is a good one. He started the season with a top 10 value but dropped do to an injury. However, he is still a very good linemen that can play RT or LT in the NFL.

28. Green Bay Packers: Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia
The Packers don't have any good corners outside of Woodson. I think Burton is better (after watching some tape since Sunday, I agree with Josh Roberts) but Dowling is very much like Woodson. A bump and run corner that does not have break away speed or ball skills.

29. Pittsburgh Steelers: Brandon Burton, CB, Utah
Burton is rising up boards since starting the year as a 2nd round prospect. He has great speed and good size. He has decent ball skills and can become the Steelers #1 corner in the near future. With Ike still on one side, Burton will hold down the opposite side and relegate BMAC to his rightful spot on the bench.

30. New York Jets: Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame
Floyd has dropped off most first round's in recent mocks but the Jets won't be able to resign Holmes and Edwards and Cotchery stinks so a new WR is needed.

31. Atlanta Falcons: Curtis Brown, CB, Texas
The Falcons don't have great CB's and Brown could sneak into the first round. He is a good corner with great speed, which the Falcons love for CB's.

32. New England Patriots: Mike Pouncey: G/C, Florida
The Patriots are likely to lose Mankins, and there Guards are average at best.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... -edition-1 (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2010/11/30/1847290/nfl-mock-draft-one-round-edition-1)

Dee Dub
12-01-2010, 01:47 AM
I so would rather have Ras-I Dowling. He too me is a perfect 3-4 corner. He has the physicalaity of Ike Taylor but he is a better cover man who has far more balls skills. He is lonmg and can really go up after the ball.

I think there is going to be a bonafide tackle at or near the end of round one that many arent talking about now but will be. Demarcus Love of Arkansas is solid. He has done a great job protecting Ryan Mallett. Sec is no joke and he has more than held his own.

focosteeler
12-01-2010, 01:53 AM
i agree with dowling...but unless we get some upgrade in the oline in FA i pray we go with the line in the first...

Shawn
12-01-2010, 01:59 AM
I don't know alot about Burton but I think DB is our greatest need with OL being a very close second. Burton is a real possibility based on his projected draft slot.

StarSpangledSteeler
12-01-2010, 02:16 AM
Actually I've heard his stock is dropping slightly. I have dozens of friends in SLC who have watched Burton in person since he was recruited and most of them honestly feel he's a second round talent. They feel that Shawn Smith (drafted last year by the Dolphins) was a better prospect by far. Not to say that Burton sucks. Just don't pick him in the first round.

Oviedo
12-01-2010, 09:07 AM
I think CB is the right choice because it is clear that teams will continue to attack us by passing the ball. We are extremely weak in that area. They don't even try to run which rules out DL as long as we stay with the 3-4. LB is solid.

On the OL side of the ball I would go with OT in Round 2 or 3 and let them get their feet on the ground at OG for a year. I would also consider resigning Colon and moving him to OG and keeping Adams one more year while a young OT gets familiar with the system. My second priority on offense would be another WR. This assumes that Sweed can't come back which I really hope he can.

In order I would go:

1-CB
2-OT
3-DL
4-WR
5-S
6-DL
7-OL

steelblood
12-01-2010, 10:06 AM
We need to find folks that can help next season. Certainly RG and (possibly RT) is open. A NT or DE could get into the rotation immediately if John Mitchell will allow it. A cornerback or two will likely be needed as Ike might leave, McFadden sucks, and Lewis still doesn't seem to get it.

Oviedo
12-01-2010, 10:08 AM
We need to find folks that can help next season. Certainly RG and (possibly RT) is open. A NT or DE could get into the rotation immediately if John Mitchell will allow it. A cornerback or two will likely be needed as Ike might leave, McFadden sucks, and Lewis still doesn't seem to get it.

Bring back Joe Burnett :stirpot

steelerkeylargo
12-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Allen Bailey and Burton will not be first round picks. Travis Lewis won't either and should go back to school.

flippy
12-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Anyone have a problem with that jackarse not having us picking last? In his defense, maybe we traded up.

grotonsteel
12-01-2010, 11:27 AM
I would take an OT instead of a CB in 1st RD especially if only only 2 OT are selected. Demarcus Love would be my pick and I would trade up to draft Jimmy Smith from CU in 2nd Rd.

papillon
12-01-2010, 11:28 AM
I don't think the Steelers will completely give up on Lewis and Butler and will go offensive line in round one.

Round 1: OL
Round 2: DL
Round 3: CB
Round 4: Punter :stirpot

:P

Pappy

Oviedo
12-01-2010, 11:41 AM
I don't think the Steelers will completely give up on Lewis and Butler and will go offensive line in round one.

Pappy

Not a punter but another guy who uses his feet...Kai Forbath, K from UCLA would be a great Round 4 pick or Henry from Nebraska. Hopefully "Sushi" Suisham can have a successful run of several years here.

StarSpangledSteeler
12-01-2010, 02:44 PM
On the OL side of the ball I would go with OT in Round 2 or 3 and let them get their feet on the ground at OG for a year. I would also consider resigning Colon and moving him to OG and keeping Adams one more year while a young OT gets familiar with the system.

This is probably the most intriguing idea i've read on any board this year. The Steelers are in a dilemma here where we need both OG and OT (except i say we take one in the 1st round). What if we drafted DeMarcus Love to start at RG next year to get his feet wet (where he would be both huge and athletic) and then let him slide out to RT when the need arises? That solves the same problem Mike Pouncey would solve and it gives us our future RT where as guards are much easier to find in later rounds. Hmm. Well done, Ovi.

StarSpangledSteeler
12-01-2010, 02:48 PM

Agreed. And don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to add a 1st round CB to our roster, but we just drafted two young corners. I can't see us putting 3 young inexperienced CB's on the field. We should fill the void with a solid veteran FA and draft a speedy CB like Carmichael out of VA TECH to develop.

StarSpangledSteeler
12-01-2010, 02:52 PM
I would take an OT instead of a CB in 1st RD especially if only only 2 OT are selected. Demarcus Love would be my pick and I would trade up to draft Jimmy Smith from CU in 2nd Rd.
My Early 2011 Mock Draft
1- Demarcus Love, OT
2- Jimmy Smith, CB
3- Drake Nevis, DT
4- Benjamin Ijalana, OG
5- Alex Henery, K
6- Shaun Chapas, FB

This would be a beautiful draft. I seriously doubt Nevis and Ijalana will last that long (as i have seen both of them ranked as second round talent in various polls) but if they did this would be $$$$$$.

steelerkeylargo
12-01-2010, 02:54 PM

Groton, Drake Nevis will be a first round pick....bank on it!

Oviedo
12-01-2010, 02:54 PM
On the OL side of the ball I would go with OT in Round 2 or 3 and let them get their feet on the ground at OG for a year. I would also consider resigning Colon and moving him to OG and keeping Adams one more year while a young OT gets familiar with the system.

This is probably the most intriguing idea i've read on any board this year. The Steelers are in a dilemma here where we need both OG and OT (except i say we take one in the 1st round). What if we drafted DeMarcus Love to start at RG next year to get his feet wet (where he would be both huge and athletic) and then let him slide out to RT when the need arises? That solves the same problem Mike Pouncey would solve and it gives us our future RT where as guards are much easier to find in later rounds. Hmm. Well done, Ovi.

I'd have no issue with Love but I still think coming off an injury Colon may be more willing to sign for less money. I think Love will be a riser as the draft gets closer. I'd also be looking in Round 3 or 4 at Lee Ziemba from Auburn. He is a 4 year starter at OT and great player but rumored to have less than desireable arm length for NFL OT. Could be a steal if moves to Guard. He is tall but I'd look at this one hard.

steelerkeylargo
12-01-2010, 02:58 PM

I'd have no issue with Love but I still think coming off an injury Colon may be more willing to sign for less money. I think Love will be a riser as the draft gets closer. I'd also be looking in Round 3 or 4 at Lee Ziemba from Auburn. He is a 4 year starter at OT and great player but rumored to have less than desireable arm length for NFL OT. Could be a steal if moves to Guard. He is tall but I'd look at this one hard.

Ziemba looked very poor versus Bama....I tjhink he will have to move inside to guard or be a marginal RT.

birtikidis
12-01-2010, 04:42 PM
I can't believe people are content with playing TACKLES at Guard. We have a bunch of young corners. but we have 1---ONE guard on the team.
move Colon to Guard????? WTF! guy grades as one of the TOP RT's int he LEAGUE last year and people want to move him to GUARD! ARE YOU SERIOUS?????? move one of the top tackles to a spot he has NEVER played. dur dur dur.
Resign IKE, develop Butler, draft a Safety in the 2nd (Troy is getting up there... and Ryan is too) and maybe, just maybe take a corner in the 3rd.

hawaiiansteel
12-01-2010, 05:20 PM
I can't believe people are content with playing TACKLES at Guard. We have a bunch of young corners. but we have 1---ONE guard on the team.

Essux played like crap at RG, Legursky didn't look much better and the jury is still out on Ramon Foster.

throw in the fact that Kemo also looked horrible at LG against the Bills and it certainly looks like OG is more of a major immediate need than at OT where we will have Starks, Adams, Colon and Scott back for next year.

which is why I strongly advocate drafting:

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/11/07/images/large/Sports_Pouncey_2199978.jpg

birtikidis
12-01-2010, 05:24 PM

Essux played like crap at RG, Legursky didn't look much better and the jury is still out on Ramon Foster.

throw in the fact that Kemo also looked horrible at LG against the Bills and it certainly looks like OG is more of a major immediate need than at OT where we will have Starks, Adams, Colon and Scott back for next year.

everyone knows that I'm a gators homer, I think Mike will be a hell of a guard in the pros. but I'd take Wiesnewski in a heart beat also. Is it too much to ask for to have guy splaying their natural position rather then out of position?

grotonsteel
12-01-2010, 06:01 PM
My Early 2011 Mock Draft
1- Demarcus Love, OT
2- Jimmy Smith, CB
3- Drake Nevis, DT
4- Benjamin Ijalana, OG
5- Alex Henery, K
6- Shaun Chapas, FB

This would be a beautiful draft. I seriously doubt Nevis and Ijalana will last that long (as i have seen both of them ranked as second round talent in various polls) but if they did this would be $$$$$$.

Agreed Nevis will go higher but I would not mind drafting Ijalana in 3rd Rd...

grotonsteel
12-01-2010, 06:14 PM

I am not sure he is a 1st Rd Talent. I did not hear his name against ARK who have a pretty good O-line.But i did not follow him closely in that game. Any idea how to rewatch old college games online? Also reading his scouting report people have concerns about his size.

Again he may have heck of a bowl game and blow people out at the combine. So he could be another Tyson Jackson and get drafted pretty early. Playing in SEC is definitely a big plus for Nevis.

Right now i see him as a Late 2nd Rd player but yes if he has great Bowl game and Combine he could easily land up in first RD. This draft has good depth in DL so Steelers should be able to get a decent DL in Rd 3.

steelerkeylargo
12-01-2010, 06:41 PM

I am not sure he is a 1st Rd Talent. I did not hear his name against ARK who have a pretty good O-line.But i did not follow him closely in that game. Any idea how to rewatch old college games online? Also reading his scouting report people have concerns about his size.

Again he may have heck of a bowl game and blow people out at the combine. So he could be another Tyson Jackson and get drafted pretty early. Playing in SEC is definitely a big plus for Nevis.

Right now i see him as a Late 2nd Rd player but yes if he has great Bowl game and Combine he could easily land up in first RD. This draft has good depth in DL so Steelers should be able to get a decent DL in Rd 3.

I have watched him in about six games this year. He is almost unblockable at times when he is one on one. Arkansas doubled him most of the game. He is best when playing 0 technique right over the center. He ragdolled the Alabama center Vlachos all game against Bama. He easily could gain some weight to play 3-4 NG. Playing right about 300 now. Low center of gravity and fantastic hands. NFL pass rush moves to boot.

hawaiiansteel
12-02-2010, 01:20 AM
Walter Football's 2011 NFL Mock Draft...love the Mike Pouncey pick to solidify the RG position! :tt2

2011 NFL Mock Draft

Last update: Thursday, Nov. 25, 2010.

1) Carolina Panthers: Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
If the Panthers are drafting No. 1 overall, they will pick Andrew Luck. Luck is just way too good of a quarterback prospect to pass up.

What about Jimmy Clausen? Well, it's actually simple. If Clausen plays well to close out the year, the Panthers will win a game or two, and won't have control of the No. 1 pick. If Clausen struggles and Carolina keeps on losing, this selection will be a no-brainer.

It's worth noting that three of the four teams Clausen has played thus far have top 10-ranked pass defenses in terms of YPA. But with teams that have worse secondaries like the Browns, Seahawks and Cardinals on the horizon, there won't be any excuses for Clausen if he finishes poorly.

By the way, I'll have an update to my 2012 NFL Mock Draft in the next couple of weeks. Follow me on Twitter @walterfootball for updates.

Other 2011 NFL Draft Possibilities:

1. A.J. Green, WR - If the Panthers aren't drafting No. 1, the top player on their board could be A.J. Green, the second-best receiver prospect since Randy Moss (Calvin Johnson).

2. Da'Quan Bowers, DE - If the Panthers aren't in love with Green, they may take Da'Quan Bowers, who would help improve an anemic pass rush that has 12 sacks on the year.

Pick change; previously A.J. Green, WR

2) Cincinnati Bengals: Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
The Bengals can't get any pressure on the quarterback with their front four. They have just 10 sacks on the year - four of which have come from the back seven.

After underachieving for a couple of seasons at Clemson, Da'Quan Bowers has been unblockable. The 6-4, 275-pound athletic end has 23.5 TFL and 15 sacks this year.

1. Ryan Mallett, QB - Carson Palmer is owed a ton of money next season. The thrifty Mike Brown could cut ties with Palmer if there's a rookie pay scale and opt for Ryan Mallett.

3) Detroit Lions: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
The Lions always take the best player on their board. Luckily, that coincides with one of their greatest needs this year.

Detroit has needed a No. 1 cornerback for a very long time. Chris Houston has been OK this year, but is not a top-flight corner. Alphonso Smith, a Denver Broncos reject, has been inconsistent across from Houston.

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that the Lions suffered so many key injuries this year; otherwise, they wouldn't have had a shot at Patrick Peterson, one of the top cornerback prospects in recent memory.

Cornerbacks are seldom taken in the top four, but then again, we said the same thing about defensive tackles prior to the 2010 NFL Draft. Like Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy, Peterson is a special sort of talent that doesn't come around very often.

1. Robert Quinn, DE - If both cornerbacks are off the board, the next-best player who makes any sort of sense is Robert Quinn. Kyle Vanden Bosch won't be around forever.

Pick change; previously Prince Amukamara, CB

4) Buffalo Bills: Marcell Dareus, DE/DT, Alabama
Poor Bills. They've won one too many games, and are now out of position to draft Andrew Luck. Meanwhile, Chan Gailey is convinced that Ryan Fitzpatrick is good enough to start at quarterback in 2011. It seems like it'll be another playoff-less decade for Buffalo.

With Luck off the board and Ryan Mallett a poor fit for Gailey's offense, the Bills could opt to address the huge void on their defensive line. Marcell Dareus, who can play in both the 4-3 and 3-4, which will intrigue the Bills, who can't seem to decide on a defensive scheme.

1. Jake Locker, QB - Jake Locker is having a miserable season, but the Bills could still take him at No. 4 if they like him enough.

Pick change; previously Andrew Luck, QB

5) Arizona Cardinals: Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas
As much as I love the Adventures of Derek Anderson's Magic Flask, the Cardinals need to find a franchise quarterback. Anderson, sober or not, is certainly not the answer. Max Hall didn't look very promising in his limited action. John Skelton, meanwhile, is a nice project, but isn't ready to play.

Ken Whisenhunt can't afford to waste away another year hoping that either Hall or Skelton pans out. He'll have to take Ryan Mallett or Jake Locker this April.

I like Mallett as a nice fit in Arizona. He has the arm to get the ball to Larry Fitzgerald downfield, and he's also maintained great accuracy (67.2%) this season - which is damn impressive considering his 9.6 YPA in an SEC schedule.

There are some character/intelligence concerns with Mallett, but the Cardinals have shown that they don't put much stock into that.

1. Prince Amukamara, CB - If the Cardinals don't like Ryan Mallett, they could look into improving their miserable secondary.

Pick change; previously Robert Quinn, DE/OLB

6) San Francisco 49ers: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
Both Nate Clements and Shawntae Spencer have shown a deal of inconsistency over the past year and a half, with Clements struggling in 2009 and Spencer doing this same at the beginning of the season.

The best player available who makes sense for the 49ers, Prince Amukamara would fill a huge void in San Francisco's secondary.

While Patrick Peterson is the best cornerback prospect to come along in a very long time, Amukamara isn't too far behind him.

Pick change; previously Marcell Dareus, DE/DT

7) Cleveland Browns: A.J. Green, WR, Georgia
Colt McCoy is the real deal. He's also a perfect as example of why the NFL Draft is the ultimate crapshoot. No one liked McCoy - not Kiper, not McShay, not Mayock, not any draftnik surfing the Web. Not even Mike Holmgren was too high on him; he passed on him twice in Rounds 2-3, and finally picked him when he realized that Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace were his only quarterbacks.

But with McCoy entrenched as the franchise quarterback, the Browns need to provide him with a blue-chip weapon. A.J. Green, who could easily be picked in the top three depending on which teams are drafting up there, is the second-best receiver prospect since Randy Moss (Calvin Johnson).

Pick change; previously Marcell Dareus, DE/DT

8) Dallas Cowboys: Nick Fairley, DE/DT, Auburn
Jay Ratliff and Stephen Bowen figure to start on Dallas' defensive line for a long time. There is a void at the right end position, however, currently occupied by an ineffective Igor Olshansky. The Cowboys could use an upgrade there, and Nick Fairley happens to be the best player available.

Fairley has really soared up this 2011 NFL Mock Draft. A 6-5, 300-pound monstrosity, Fairley has 18 TFL and 7.5 sacks this year. He lived in LSU's backfield a few weekends ago, as the Tigers looked completely helpless trying to block him.

Pick change; previously Patrick Peterson, CB

9) Denver Broncos: Allen Bailey, DE/DT, Miami
If the 2011 NFL Draft falls like this, the Broncos will need to trade down because the best players available don't fit their needs. I guess that won't bother Josh McDaniels much considering that he loves moving around in the draft.

Mike Tolbert completely embarrassed the Broncos, as they looked helpless trying to tackle him on Monday night. McDaniels will really need to address the defensive line after this year - and not by giving $20 million to terrible players like Jarvis Green.

Allen Bailey has always maintained incredible athleticism, but is finally putting it together this season.

10) Minnesota Vikings: Jake Locker, QB, Washington
Brad Childress has been fired, which means that Tarvaris Jackson's only supporter is now looking for work. Minnesota's new coach - whether that's Leslie Frazier or someone else - will be targeting a quarterback early in the 2011 NFL Draft.

As mentioned earlier, Jake Locker has really struggled this year, and has not looked like an NFL quarterback in way too many games. He doesn't seem ready to start in the NFL, but there's no denying his potential.

11) St. Louis Rams: Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina
The Rams are tied for fifth in sacks with 28, so why draft a defensive end? First of all, Robert Quinn is the best player available and an absolute steal at No. 11. He'd be a top-five lock if he hadn't gotten suspended for something ridiculous.

Second, while James Hall is playing well this year, he turns 34 in February. The Rams will need someone across from Chris Long, who has been lights out this season.

12) Houston Texans: Janoris Jenkins, CB, Florida
The Texans have one of the worst defenses we've seen in a long time. So, how do you fix it?

First of all, Zach Diles needs to go. He's a horrific weakside linebacker who's a major liability in coverage. An upgrade at nose tackle is desperately needed. Two new safeties (particularly a free safety) have to be found. Another pass-rusher wouldn't hurt.

And then there's the cornerback position. Glover Quin cannot be allowed to start anymore. I don't even have any beef with his awful attempt to bat down David Garrard's Hail Mary; he can't tackle whatsoever, as evidenced by Zach Miller's 51-yard touchdown in the Jacksonville game.

Janoris Jenkins, the best player available who fills a need, would give Houston another top-flight corner across from Kareem Jackson. Hopefully Jackson isn't inept next year...

13) San Diego Chargers: Adrian Clayborn, DE/DT, Iowa
Defensive end Jacques Cesaire will be a free agent next spring, which is a relief for Charger fans because he's not very good. An upgrade at the position is desperately needed.

Adrian Clayborn was considered a top-10 talent before the season, but two things have happened. First, he's struggled to get to the quarterback this year. And second, he punched a cab driver, which obviously raises character concerns.

The Chargers, however, have taken risks on questionable character guys before, so I think they'll have Clayborn pretty high on their draft board.

14) New England Patriots: Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
BenJarvus Green-Ellis has looked half-decent recently, but neither he nor Danny Woodhead is the answer at running back.

If Tom Brady, Wes Welker and Deion Branch are healthy, and Rob Gronkowski or Aaron Hernandez continue to play well, imagine how explosive New England's offense would be with Mark Ingram as a threat coming out of the backfield.

Ingram is just too good to pass up here, though knowing Bill Belichick, he'll probably trade down.

Pick change; previously Cameron Jordan, DE/DT

15) Tennessee Titans: Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State
The Titans could look at Cam Newton with this pick, but they're ready to win now. If Jeff Fisher and Vince Young can't learn to co-exist, I could see Tennessee signing or trading for a veteran quarterback this offseason.

If the Titans don't trade for Albert Haynesworth, they'll look for an every-down defensive tackle, as Sen'Derrick Marks just hasn't panned out. Stephen Paea is a 310-pound tackle who has nine TFL and six sacks on the year.

Pick change; previously Travis Lewis, OLB

16) Washington Redskins: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
Jay Cutler for Donovan McNabb. Mike Shanahan gets his former quarterback, and McNabb goes back to his hometown. Which team wouldn't do that trade? It almost makes too much sense.

At any rate, Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen will need to find a weapon for their quarterback, whomever that may be. Relying on Joey Galloway is in unacceptable.

Julio Jones' downfall is the inconsistency with his hands, but he's an elite talent otherwise. Brandon Marshall also has trouble catching the ball at times, and teams would gladly draft someone of that caliber at No. 16 overall. Besides, Jones has been better of late, even showing off his toughness by playing hurt. And despite the injury, Jones caught six balls against Patrick Peterson.

17) Miami Dolphins: Brandon Harris, CB, Miami
Jason Allen played well at the beginning of the season, but was waived after struggling for a few games. Sean Smith has retaken the starting job across from Vontae Davis, but is pretty inconsistent. The Dolphins could opt for a corner like Brandon Harris in the middle of the first round.

Harris has really emerged as a possible top-15 prospect with his great play thus far this year.

Pick change; previously Mark Ingram, RB

18) Jacksonville Jaguars: Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue
Tough luck for Aaron Kampman. One year after tearing his ACL, Kampman tore his other ACL. His career at this point is in serious doubt.

The Jaguars, as you may expect, have no pass rush. They have 20 sacks on the year, but only 14 if you exclude their previous game against the Browns. Let's see if Jeremy Mincey's performance was a fluke or not.

Ryan Kerrigan is having an amazing senior campaign. In 11 games this season, he already has 25 TFL and 12.5 sacks. It looks like he's this year's version of Brandon Graham.

19) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College
The Buccaneers would love to land a defensive end (Adrian Clayborn?) but there is no one at the position worth taking here.

Instead, Tampa Bay can draft someone like Anthony Castonzo to improve its pedestrian offensive line.

Pick change; previously Brandon Harris, CB

20) Chicago Bears: Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State
The Bears desperately need to upgrade their offensive line; the Bears have surrendered the most sacks in the NFL this year (36).

Fortunately, Derek Sherrod is the top player available who makes sense for them.

21) Seattle Seahawks: Von Miller, DE/OLB, Texas A&M
The Seahawks, who have just four sacks in the past five weeks if you exclude their game against the Cardinals, won't be very competitive outside of the NFC West with Chris Clemons as their best (and only) pass-rusher.

Finally healthy, Von Miller is now looking like the guy who dominated the Big 12 (including Russell Okung) last year.

22) Kansas City Chiefs: Akeem Ayers, DE/OLB, UCLA
Kansas City's defense has played well at times this year, but the team still lacks a potent pass-rushing threat across from Tamba Hali.

Akeem Ayers still needs to work on his ability to get to the quarterback, but Romeo Crennel would love to have his versatility. Plus, Ayers is a team captain, which is something Scott Pioli looks for.

23) New York Giants: Travis Lewis, OLB, Oklahoma
Keith Bulluck won't be around forever, Clint Sintim hasn't panned out, and who knows how long Michael Boley can stay healthy?

Travis Lewis is the best player on the board who makes sense for the Giants.

Pick change; previously Aaron Williams, CB

24) Baltimore Ravens: Aaron Williams, CB, Texas
In March, Lardarius Webb and Domonique Foxworth will be the only Baltimore corners under contract, as Fabian Washington, Josh Wilson and Chris Carr will all be free agents. And considering that Foxworth will be coming off a torn ACL, the cornerback position will be a dire area of need for the Ravens.

Pick change; previously Brandon Burton, CB

25) Indianapolis Colts: Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh
Even though the defensive side of the ball has been the weaker half of Indianapolis' roster, general manager Bill Polian has spent seven of his 11 first-round picks on offensive players.

This may seem like an odd pick, but it makes a lot of sense. Not only is Jonathan Baldwin one of the top players available; he fills a big need at receiver. Reggie Wayne just turned 32, and won't be around forever. Pierre Garcon drops way too many passes to be relied upon. Anthony Gonzalez can't stay healthy.

Peyton Manning needs a No. 2 receiver for 2011 and an eventual new No. 1 once Wayne declines.

Pick change; previously Anthony Castonzo, OT

26) New Orleans Saints: Justin Houston, DE/OLB, Georgia
The Saints apparently had their sights on Jerry Hughes in the 2010 NFL Draft before the Colts snatched him off the board one pick beforehand. New Orleans had only 12 sacks in the first seven games of the season (seven more since), so they may target a pass-rusher at the bottom of the first round.

Justin Houston has really opened up some eyes with 18.5 TFL and 11 sacks as a junior this season. He has soared into late first-round consideration.

27)Pittsburgh Steelers: Mike Pouncey, G, Florida
Assuming that Willie Colon can come back fine next year, the Steelers will need just one more upgrade up front. Mike Pouncey would satisfy that at guard - right next to his brother, Maurkice.

http://www.gatorcountry.com/images/uploads/feature_pics/gchdtvday3.jpg

28) Atlanta Falcons: Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame
The Falcons need an upgrade across from Roddy White to take their offense to the next level. Michael Floyd just happens to be the best player available.

Floyd is much more physically talented than this No. 28 slot indicates, but he has never been able to stay healthy for an entire season at Notre Dame. This will be a concern for many general managers.

Pick change; previously Jonathan Baldwin, WR

29) Green Bay Packers: Brandon Burton, CB, Utah
Charles Woodson just won Defensive Player of the Year, but he'll be 35 a month into the 2011 season. He's already seen some decline in his production, so it's time for the Packers to find a long-term replacement across from Tramon Williams.

Brandon Burton has the size (6-1) that Ted Thompson likes out of his corners.

Pick change; previously Ras-I Dowling, CB

30) New York Jets: Cameron Jordan, DE/DT, California
The Jets will likely have to defeat the Colts to advance to the Super Bowl in the next couple of years. To do so, they'll need to put as much pressure on Peyton Manning as possible without sending multiple blitzers and in turn exposing their secondary. Upgrades are needed at 3-4 end and rush linebacker.

Cameron Jordan is poised to fly up draft boards with his incredible play of late. He has entered late first-round consideration.

Pick change; previously Michael Floyd, WR

31) New England Patriots: Stefen Wisniewski, C/G, Penn State
It doesn't seem like Logan Mankins will be back with the team next year. Meanwhile, the oft-injured Stephen Neal just turned 34. He already announced that the 2011 season will be his last as a pro.

The Patriots will really need help at guard this upcoming offseason.

32) Philadelphia Eagles: Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin
I currently have the Eagles as the top team in my NFL Power Rankings, but one area of weakness on their roster is the offensive line.

Gabe Carimi, who has played better recently after a slow start, fits well into Andy Reid's blocking scheme.

Pick change; previously Bruce Carter, OLB

http://walterfootball.com/draft2011_1.php

fordfixer
12-02-2010, 08:22 AM
On The Road With Kevin Colbert

By Kevin Colbert - Director of Football Operations
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 6e31a1f40f (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/On-The-Road-With-Kevin-Colbert/b3bf09c0-4b92-4e67-adc1-636e31a1f40f)

November 2010

FALL SCOUTING
During our meetings in training camp we try to put together an evaluation schedule that is as comprehensive as possible. As covered in the previous edition of “On the Road,” we talked about the number of evaluations a given college team would get based on its players’ Combine grade evaluations – A, B, C, or D.

For the colleges where multiple evaluations are needed – the A and B grades – we try to do these evaluations at different times during the fall so as to be as thorough as possible. If three evaluations are required, we will try to do these during the early, middle and latter portions of the college season. At times this is hard to do because colleges may have restrictions that limit our access, but it is our job to work within these restrictions to get the proper evaluations.

With 12 scouts, myself included, on the road in the fall, we feel our coverage is comprehensive. Our college scouts are responsible for approximately 40 colleges each. Our college director and myself will evaluate about 30 colleges while our pro scouts – those whose primary function is to evaluate NFL players – will do about 15. On any given weekday it’s not uncommon to have the 12 of us on the road from coast to coast and places in between.

The typical day for a scout on a college visit would be as follows:

7 a.m.: Film evaluation
2-2:30 p.m.: Discuss prospects, usually with an assistant coach
2:30-3 p.m.: Visit with strength coach
3-4:30 p.m.: Practice evaluation
4:30-8 p.m.: Travel to next college
8-11 p.m.: Write reports on players evaluated

This schedule will vary from day to day. The part of the day the scouts dread the most is the report writing at night. For each prospect evaluated, it usually takes 30 minutes to put your thoughts together on a formal scouting report. On average there are six players to be written each day. That averages out to three hours required on this tedious but necessary process each day.

Each of our scouts will talk to our college coordinator once a week to give him their grades from the previous week. The college coordinator will then talk to me so we are all on the same page, even though these grades are also submitted electronically into our college scouting system. It’s from these submissions and our discussions that we formulate the next phase of our scouting process: Reassessment of Evaluations. That will be discussed in the next installment of On the Road.

TALES FROM THE ROAD
Although I currently don’t spend as much time on the road as our scouts do, I have visited colleges in 45 states over my 27years in the business. I’ve often wanted to share my thoughts and experience from these travels, but never took the time to do so. Listed below are some of my experiences from my travels in September, October and November.

August 25-26: Visited Pitt and West Virginia on successive days. Always a great visit at each school; found it to be ironic that three months later the two teams would meet on Nov. 26 in a pivotal Big East match up.

August 28: Upon visiting the University of Colorado, I realize how quiet and peaceful that part of the country can be.

September 9: On my way to the Auburn at Mississippi State game I pass through Tupelo, Mississippi. I’m disappointed that I don’t have the time to visit the birthplace of Elvis Presley. At the game I encountered the loudest venue I’ve ever been to (college or pro) at Mississippi State. They have a great tradition of using cow bells to generate a constant buzz before and throughout the game.

September 15: Often in our travels we come across people from Western Pennsylvania who work at different schools. At the University of Florida I get to visit with Mickey Marotti, Florida’s strength coach and proud alum of Ambridge (PA) High School. Mick’s a true Gator now, but he’s never lost his “yinzer” accent.

September 22: Visited the University of Texas and was pleased to update their staff on the status of four former Longhorns currently on our team — Casey Hampton, Jonathan Scott, Limas Sweed and Tony Hills.

October 2: Went to the Kent State at Miami (Ohio) game. Our son Dan works for the Miami video staff, so it ends up being a nice visit with a little work done as well.

October 7: Driving to the Nebraska at Kansas State game, I am reminded of the saying, “In Kansas you can watch your dog run away for days!”

October 13: At Penn State, I jopin some of my scouting colleagues at “Baby’s” restaurant for a burger and a milkshake before practice. At practice I’m always amazed when I see Coach Paterno still coaching with the same fire I saw when I started this profession in 1984.

October 20: While visiting Ohio State, it’s a pleasure to spend some time with Pittsburgh native Joe Daniels, an assistant coach for the Buckeyes. That evening while traveling to Madison, Wisconsin, I stop in Chicago to watch my son-in-law play hockey for the Chicago Wolves of the American Hockey League.

October 23: At ACC game between North Carolina and Miami, I estimate that 20-25 players combined from both teams will be some type of NFL prospect.

November 6: Oklahoma at Texas A&M – first time in my career to watch a game at Texas A&M, and I am thoroughly impressed with the traditions, including the pregame march into the stadium of Texas A&M’s cadets. Funny sight is the clean-up crew that follows the horses – must be the new recruits!

November 20: Clemson at Wake Forest – it’s Senior Day at Wake Forest and it’s always interesting to see the senior players and their parents being introduced. For most it’s the last time their parents will see them play and it’s touching to see the true affection both the players and their parents have for that moment.

November 26: West Virginia at Pitt – as mentioned earlier, these two schools were my first visits this fall, and it seems appropriate that they are the last two teams I will see as I bring the bulk of my fall travel to a close.

TRAVEL TIP OF THE MONTH
When airplanes are being boarded by zone numbers, get into the back of the line of the zone that precedes yours. By the time you get close to the gate agent, your zone will be called.

SCOUT QUOTE OF THE MONTH
“He’s a rolling ball of butcher knives.” (Translation — “He’s a tough guy that you don’t want to encounter.”

APPROXIMATE MILEAGE OF SCOUTS’ TRAVEL FOR NOVEMBER
60,000 miles

Oviedo
12-02-2010, 10:06 AM

everyone knows that I'm a gators homer, I think Mike will be a hell of a guard in the pros. but I'd take Wiesnewski in a heart beat also. Is it too much to ask for to have guy splaying their natural position rather then out of position?

:Agree I think Wiesnewski will be a very good Pro. I actually think he and Pouncey will both be available early to mid Round 2. We would have to trade down out of Round 1 or overdraft either to get them.

steelerkeylargo
12-02-2010, 10:39 AM

:Agree I think Wiesnewski will be a very good Pro. I actually think he and Pouncey will both be available early to mid Round 2. We would have to trade down out of Round 1 or overdraft either to get them.

While I do think that both would be available in the second round I would be more than fine with spending a late 1 to solidify the OG position and 40% of our OL for the next ten years.

Oviedo
12-02-2010, 11:23 AM

While I do think that both would be available in the second round I would be more than fine with spending a late 1 to solidify the OG position and 40% of our OL for the next ten years.

But we have a 2 OG problem. Kemo is really not that good. He has been a three year starter and his pass blocking is as bad as ever. He may be worse than even Essex or Foster.

I would still like to get an OT who can play at OG for a year.

Shawn
12-02-2010, 12:45 PM

$$$ Mike is going to be special.

Dee Dub
12-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Sorry guys...if you are asking me if I would rather have a blue chip LT or a blue chip guard in round round 1?? I take the LT all day long. You can get a solid guard in rounds 2 and 3. So I say…

1-DeMarcus Love OT Arkansas
2-Ras-I Dowling CB Virginia/Steve Wisniewski OG Penn State/Lawrence Guy DT Arizona State/ Rahim Moore FS UCLA/Mason Foster LB Washington
3-Jared Crick DT Nebraska/Juron Criner WR Arizona/Armon Binns WR Cincinnati

Oviedo
12-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Sorry guys...if you are asking me if I would rather have a blue chip LT or a blue chip guard in round round 1?? I take the LT all day long. You can get a solid guard in rounds 2 and 3. So I say…

2-Ras-I Dowling CB Virginia/Steve Wisniewski OG Penn State/Lawrence Guy DT Arizona State/ Rahim Moore FS UCLA/Mason Foster LB Washington

What about a blue chip Right Tackle? I'd take OT over Guard but I walso wanted OT over Center so what do I know!

Shawn
12-02-2010, 02:03 PM

I hear ya Dee and understand your reasoning. But, I think about it like this...

1) If Starks and Colon are healthy and signed we have little need for a blue chip tackle. If either one is not healthy or we decide not to sign Colon then I might agree with you. Tackle would be a huge priority in that scenerio.

2) It's much easier to get a blue chip Guard in the late first than it is a blue chip Tackle. If Love is truly blue chip material (which I honestly have no idea) then I suspect he will be gone long before we pick.

grotonsteel
12-02-2010, 02:14 PM

What about a blue chip Right Tackle? I'd take OT over Guard but I walso wanted OT over Center so what do I know!

Demarcus Love can play RT and LT. And he plays both these position during the game.

ARK runs behind Love when he is at RT. When Ryan Mallet pass he plays at LT.

I was very much impressed by his play against LSU which has pretty good D line.

Oviedo
12-02-2010, 02:25 PM

Demarcus Love can play RT and LT. And he plays both these position during the game.

Love won't last until we pick. I could msee him being the second or third OT taken and probably gone by pick #20.

Dee Dub
12-02-2010, 02:40 PM

Love won't last until we pick. I could msee him being the second or third OT taken and probably gone by pick #20.

I don’t necessarily agree. There are others who are graded out ahead of him.

1-Anthony Castonzo
2-Derrik Sherrod
3-Nate Solder
4-Gabe Carimi

Dee Dub
12-02-2010, 02:44 PM
....If Love is truly blue chip material (which I honestly have no idea) then I suspect he will be gone long before we pick.

I dont agree with this either. There have been several blue chip OT's who have been drafted in the late first early second. Just look at the past several drafts.

Brian Bulaga
Roger Saffold
Michael Oher
Joe Staley
Duane Brown
Marcus McNeil

Shawn
12-02-2010, 02:49 PM
....If Love is truly blue chip material (which I honestly have no idea) then I suspect he will be gone long before we pick.

I dont agree with this either. There have been several blue chip OT's who have been drafted in the late first early second. Just look at the past several drafts.

Brian Bulaga
Roger Saffold
Michael Oher
Joe Staley
Duane Brown
Marcus McNeil

I don't remember any of those guys with maybe the exception of Bulaga being graded out as a blue chip type player. I believe Saffold was considered second round material by many scouts. You can get a guy who eventually plays like an ALL PRO in later rounds. But, generally speaking most of the guys who grade out very well are picked through by late first. OGs tend to be overlooked early in the second allowing a top G to fall.

Dee Dub
12-02-2010, 03:03 PM
I don't remember any of those guys with maybe the exception of Bulaga being graded out as a blue chip type player. I believe Saffold was considered second round material by many scouts. You can get a guy who eventually plays like an ALL PRO in later rounds. But, generally speaking most of the guys who grade out very well are picked through by late first. OGs tend to be overlooked early in the second allowing a top G to fall.

I think that depends on who is doing the grading. Saffold came in and was a starter from day one. In fact I am pretty sure all of these from that list were. Obviously the Rams had Saffold graded out as a blue chipper. They plugged him in right away. At LT to protect a rookie QB. Think about it.

Shawn
12-02-2010, 03:24 PM
I would agree. Overall, I believe the Steelers have done a very poor job scouting OL "talent". Pouncey was a no brainer. But, if there is a guy who is considered a blue chip OT and Mike Pouncey who IMO is going to be an elite guard...I still take Pouncey.

I know that is a debateable draft strategy. But, let me defend my position. If we have a healthy Colon, Starks and Flozell...and can get Colon under contract we have little need to draft a OT this season. OT at that point would be a luxury. We are in dire need at OG...and Pouncey should be a very good one....blue chip in my personal opinion.

If any of that doesn't fall into place...I would jump onboard the OT thinking because I agree it's a more valuable position.

steelerkeylargo
12-02-2010, 03:29 PM

You just argued with me last week that their wouldn't be a OT there in the 1st worth drafting. Why the turn around? Crick won't come out to be a 3rd round pick, he will go back for senior year.

steelerkeylargo
12-02-2010, 03:31 PM

1) If Starks and Colon are healthy and signed we have little need for a blue chip tackle. If either one is not healthy or we decide not to sign Colon then I might agree with you. Tackle would be a huge priority in that scenerio.

2) It's much easier to get a blue chip Guard in the late first than it is a blue chip Tackle. If Love is truly blue chip material (which I honestly have no idea) then I suspect he will be gone long before we pick.

Starks and Colon were both healthy when we drafted last year! How did that work out?

Shawn
12-02-2010, 03:32 PM

Starks and Colon were both healthy when we drafted last year! How did that work out?

So, you want to draft in the first round for depth? What if Ben gets hurt? Should we also draft a first round QB? I would argue no especially when we have a dire need now for DB and OG.

Dee Dub
12-02-2010, 04:15 PM

You just argued with me last week that their wouldn't be a OT there in the 1st worth drafting. Why the turn around? Crick won't come out to be a 3rd round pick, he will go back for senior year.

In my opinion DeMarcus Love has emerged. Simple as that.

steelerkeylargo
12-02-2010, 04:27 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":2pkdvut5]Sorry guys...if you are asking me if I would rather have a blue chip LT or a blue chip guard in round round 1?? I take the LT all day long. You can get a solid guard in rounds 2 and 3. So I say…

In my opinion DeMarcus Love has emerged. Simple as that.[/quote:2pkdvut5]

In one week?

Dee Dub
12-02-2010, 09:01 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":wptj9dum]Sorry guys...if you are asking me if I would rather have a blue chip LT or a blue chip guard in round round 1?? I take the LT all day long. You can get a solid guard in rounds 2 and 3. So I say…

In my opinion DeMarcus Love has emerged. Simple as that.

In one week?[/quote:wptj9dum]

No not hardly. It has been a season of progression for Love. And he has continued improve. The Razorbacks are leading the SEC in offense and passing offense and they did the same last year. The SEC is by far the most talented conference in all of college football. That caught my eye and I wanted to know who was protecting Mallet.

No contempt prior to investigation with me. :wink:

birtikidis
12-03-2010, 12:18 AM
Some people are content having Tackles play guard. Same as they were content letting WR play qb and a safety play corner.
having 10 tackles on the team will not make us better.
of course, if we take a tackle in the 1st round, no way do we take a guard in the 2nd.. maybe in the 3rd, but doubt it. unless of course we neglect the DL and secondary.

Shawn
12-03-2010, 12:42 AM
Some people are content having Tackles play guard. Same as they were content letting WR play qb and a safety play corner.
of course, if we take a tackle in the 1st round, no way do we take a guard in the 2nd.. maybe in the 3rd, but doubt it. unless of course we neglect the DL and secondary.

I'm pretty much on board with you. I will only disagree on one point. If Colon leaves, in all likelihood we would only have Flozell for one more season. In that case, if a top tackle drops I wouldn't be against him getting his feet wet at G and moving him to tackle in 2012. That is if he has some experience at G.

birtikidis
12-03-2010, 01:58 AM

I'm pretty much on board with you. I will only disagree on one point. If Colon leaves, in all likelihood we would only have Flozell for one more season. In that case, if a top tackle drops I wouldn't be against him getting his feet wet at G and moving him to tackle in 2012. That is if he has some experience at G.
If Flo leaves, let Hills or Foster or Scott learn the trade. Let a guard get his feet wet at guard. I get your point, I just think that you're not doing any favors to a guy by playing him out of position.

Oviedo
12-03-2010, 09:14 AM

If Flo leaves, let Hills or Foster or Scott learn the trade. Let a guard get his feet wet at guard. I get your point, I just think that you're not doing any favors to a guy by playing him out of position.

Not sure Hills, Foster or Scott (Chris I assume) are anything more than career back ups. Need legit talent on the OL. Flo Adams at his age is still light years ahead of these guys in terms of talent.

The status of Colon will be very significant to whether we can improve our OL or not. There are key question is whether he can come back with the same level of quickness and mobility needed for an OT. That wasn't a strength of his before the injury. He always struggled with speed rushers which is why many have seen him as a potential elite Guard.

HardlinerKC
12-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Excellent first look mock for 2011. Love me some mocks! :Cheers As to the Chiefs, their needs in order of importance to me are:

1) WR
2) Edge rusher (DE or OLB)
3) NT
4) Oline depth, especially at OC

Therefore the projected pick (Von Miller) could happen but I know they have their eyes on Julio Jones of 'Bama who would round out their receiving corps of Bowe-Moeaki-McCluster and be a force. They've scouted Jones extensively so I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade up to get him. How high? Tough to say.

RuthlessBurgher
12-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Excellent first look mock for 2011. Love me some mocks! :Cheers As to the Chiefs, their needs in order of importance to me are:

1) WR
2) Edge rusher (DE or OLB)
3) NT
4) Oline depth, especially at OC

Therefore the projected pick (Von Miller) could happen but I know they have their eyes on Julio Jones of 'Bama who would round out their receiving corps of Bowe-Moeaki-McCluster and be a force. They've scouted Jones extensively so I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade up to get him. How high? Tough to say.

Probably refreshing not to have given up on the season and looking at potential top 5 draft picks at this point, eh Hardliner?

birtikidis
12-03-2010, 02:21 PM

Not sure Hills, Foster or Scott (Chris I assume) are anything more than career back ups. Need legit talent on the OL. Flo Adams at his age is still light years ahead of these guys in terms of talent.

The status of Colon will be very significant to whether we can improve our OL or not. There are key question is whether he can come back with the same level of quickness and mobility needed for an OT. That wasn't a strength of his before the injury. He always struggled with speed rushers which is why many have seen him as a potential elite Guard.
that's kind of my point... play a natural tackle who is below average at his natural position and move him to a position that he's never played... don't you think he'll be worse at that position? But we'll never know since we develop our tackles by making them play guard....

focosteeler
12-04-2010, 09:46 PM

Pappy

Not a punter but another guy who uses his feet...Kai Forbath, K from UCLA would be a great Round 4 pick or Henry from Nebraska. Hopefully "Sushi" Suisham can have a successful run of several years here.

Did you see Alex Henery's 50+ yarder he just kicked against Oklahoma??? :shock: i'd be completely ok with using a 5th rounder for a leg like that

Dee Dub
12-04-2010, 11:15 PM
Did you see Alex Henery's 50+ yarder he just kicked against Oklahoma??? :shock: i'd be completely ok with using a 5th rounder for a leg like that

Yep I saw it. He is a big time kicker. Those dont get past the 3rd round. He's as good as Janikowski was at Florida State and he went in the first round. Kickers like this are big time weapons.

There are two guys in this game for Nebraska that are flat out dominate. Prince Amukamara and Lavonte David. Armukamara is another Derrelle Revis. Has that same type of build, can cover and is just as physical. And as for David, I think he may be the fastest LB I have ever seen. Faster than Lawrence Timmons. If he doesnt put on some more weight I can see him becoming a perenial pro-bowl strong safety. If he is able to add weight (he goes 6 ft 1 210), and maintain his athletism at LB, we are talking about a hall of famer. A tackling machine who can cover.

Dee Dub
12-04-2010, 11:28 PM
Here is a short one play clip of how fast Lavonte David is. Look at where he comes from and how fast he gets to the QB. Could you imagine him next to Lawrence Timmons?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF1y5m5Q1X8

He came into tonights game versus Oklahoma with 128 tackles, 14 tackles for loss (from inside linebacker position), 6 sacks, and 10 passes defensed.

focosteeler
12-05-2010, 01:00 AM
Here is a short one play clip of how fast Lavonte David is. Look at where he comes from and how fast he gets to the QB. Could you imagine him next to Lawrence Timmons?

He came into tonights game versus Oklahoma with 128 tackles, 14 tackles for loss (from inside linebacker position), 6 sacks, and 10 passes defensed.
:shock: unreal....i want him on our team

steelerkeylargo
12-05-2010, 01:42 AM
David is awesome...I don't think he comes out though. I think Nebraska RG Ricky Henry is a real interesting guy. Mauler OG with a real nasty streak.

Oviedo
12-05-2010, 10:27 AM

I think he is one of those "tweeners" who is going to have a tough time finding a spot at the next level. Given his size he would seem to project more as a Strong Safety not LB. At a minimum he would be a great special teams player.

birtikidis
12-05-2010, 04:35 PM
I agree Ovi, think he's more of a safety in the NFL then a LBer..

hawaiiansteel
12-06-2010, 08:06 PM
at least this mock draft has the Steelers in the correct drafting spot... :tt2

GREAT BLUE NORTH DRAFT REPORT

2011 DRAFT PROJECTION

FIRST ROUND
* Indicates underclassman (Please note that sophomores have not been included)

Team Player POS School

1 Buffalo*Andrew Luck QB Stanford
2 Carolina Jake Locker QB Washington
3 Cleveland *A.J. Green WR Georgia
4 Detroit*Patrick Peterson CB LSU
5 San Francisco*Ryan Mallett QB Arkansas
6 New England (from Oakland)Adrian Clayborn DE Iowa
7 Denver *Julio Jones WR Alabama
8 Jacksonville *Nick Foles QB Arizona
9 St. Louis *Robert Quinn DE North Carolina
10 Tampa Bay *Mark Ingram RB Alabama
11 Arizona *Marcel Dareus DE Alabama
12 Kansas CityVon Miller LB Texas A&M
13 San Diego *Allen Bailey DE Miami
14 Dallas Cameron Heyward DE Ohio State
15 Cincinnati *Nick Fairley DT Auburn
16 Washington Bruce Carter LB North Carolina
17 Minnesota Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska
18 Chicago DeMarcus Love OT Arkansas
19 Seattle *Shane Vereen RB California
20 Miami *Da'Quan Bowers DE Clemson
21 Houston *Jonathan Baldwin WR Pittsburgh
22 Philadelphia Stephen Paea DT Oregon State
23 Tennessee *Malcolm Floyd WR Notre Dame
24 Green Bay *Aaron Williams CBTexas
25 Atlanta Derek Sherrod OT Mississippi State
26 Baltimore *Akeem Ayers LB UCLA
27 New York Giants Greg Jones LB Michigan State
28 New York Jets *Ryan Broyles WR Oklahoma
29 Indianapolis Christian Ballard DT Iowa
30 New England Jeremy Beal LB Oklahoma
31 New Orleans Marvin Austin DT North Carolina
32 Pittsburgh Mike Pouncey OG Florida

http://www.gbnreport.com/2011projection.html

NJ-STEELER
12-07-2010, 01:11 AM
when wasa that taken

wash picking 16?

tampa 10?

NE (thru Oak) 6?

cinci 15

hawaiiansteel
12-07-2010, 01:33 AM
when wasa that taken

end of October, I just liked the fact they had the Steelers picking #32.

here's a current mock draft from nfldraftcountdown.com where I also love the Steelers' pick at #29...when I watch the Steelers starting Jonathan Scott, Ramon Foster and Trai Essex with Willie Colon a RFA and Flozell Adams 35 yrs old, I know we need some OL help.

29) PITTSBURGH STEELERS: GABE CARIMI, OT, WISCONSIN

The Steelers used their first round pick in the 2010 NFL Draft on center Maurkice Pouncey and he is already one of the best young offensive linemen in the league.

Pittsburgh still has some issues along the offensive line though so it might be wise to go back to that well one more time. Wisconsin’s Gabe Carimi isn’t as good of a pro prospect as some have made him out to be but it wouldn’t be a complete surprise if he managed to work his way into the back end of round one. A big, experienced blocker, the problem with Carimi is he doesn’t handle speed well and that may relegate him to right tackle at the next level. Carimi could man the right side in Pittsburgh with Willie Colon kicking inside to guard, essentially killing two birds with one stone. At the very least Carimi would add some much-needed depth, a lack of which has hurt them when the injury bug inevitably strikes.

Pittsburgh could also use some help at cornerback opposite Ike Taylor and as a franchise that always has one eye on the future you can never rule out a total curveball from this team.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-B.php