PDA

View Full Version : Ben wearing protective boot

PSU_dropout43
11-30-2010, 01:59 PM
Roethlisberger wearing protective boot, expected to play
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has a protective boot on his sprained right foot and may not practice on Wednesday, coach Mike Tomlin said today.

However, Tomlin said he believes Roethlisberger will be able to play in Baltimore Sunday night. If he cannot, Byron Leftwich would start the game against the Ravens.

Roethlisberger said his right foot, hurt previously, was re-injured Sunday in Buffalo.
Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10334/11 ... z16n1l9VaX (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10334/1107174-100.stm#ixzz16n1l9VaX)

proudpittsburgher
11-30-2010, 02:22 PM
Just sounds precautionary to me. This will be a non-story when Ben shows up on the practice field on Thursday. Of course, Benji will have to limp a bit during the game just to get people talking. :)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-30-2010, 02:23 PM
I hope this is a Bellicheat*-type announcement, a la "Marcia* is questionable with a shoulder injury", just to keep the Felons guessing whether they need to game plan for Lefty or Ben.

If Ben is less mobile, that would s*ck. Maybe a good plan would be to start Lefty, and have Ben be the backup to work his Magic if we need him too.

I ain't happy.

proudpittsburgher
11-30-2010, 02:27 PM
I hope this is a Bellicheat*-type announcement, a la "Marcia* is questionable with a shoulder injury", just to keep the Felons guessing whether they need to game plan for Lefty or Ben.

If Ben is less mobile, that would s*ck. Maybe a good plan would be to start Lefty, and have Ben be the backup to work his Magic if we need him too.

I ain't happy.

The Steelers don't play those mind games. Should they? Yes, they should, but they don't. They had an opportunity to do so opening week with the QB situation . . . batch or dixon (two totally seperate set of skill sets to prepare for) but they named Dixon the starter early and publically. I can't see them doing it here either.

Crash
11-30-2010, 02:32 PM
So make everything quick and stay out of long down and distance.

Start Lefty? Are you nuts? I would start a 50% Ben if I had to.

hawaiiansteel
11-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Bires: QBs don't come tougher than Ben

By: Mike Bires Beaver County Times
Monday November 29, 2010 11:46 PM

http://media.timesonline.com/thumb/368x276/30ben748688.jpg

Pittsburgh Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger runs under pressure from Buffalo Bills' Chris Kelsay (AP Photo/David Duprey)

This week as the Steelers and Ravens prepare for their showdown, one of the storylines will surely be Ben Roethlisberger’s toughness. It was a topic of great debate last year when the Steelers played in Baltimore. It was a topic again last week as the Steelers began preparing for their game in Buffalo.

Considering the way he plays the game, it’s mind-boggling that anyone would ever question Roethlisberger’s manhood. But it’s happened twice now within a year, once by a teammate and once by an opponent.

Maybe you recall the night of Nov. 29, 2009 when Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward, in an interview for NBC Sports that aired moments before the Steelers took the field for a Sunday night game in Baltimore, took a verbal shot at Roethlisberger after team doctors ordered the Steelers quarterback to sit out due to recurring concussion symptoms.

With the Steelers fighting for their playoff lives, Ward said Roethlisberger should have played because “It’s only a concussion.”

Roethlisberger didn’t play and the Steelers lost 20-17 in overtime as Dennis Dixon made his first pro start.

Then a week ago today on the “T. Ocho” TV show, Bengals wide receiver Terrell Owens called Roethlisberger “soft.” For some reason, Owens wasn’t satisfied with how Roethlisberger reacted after getting sucker-punched by Richard Seymour in the Steelers’ rout of the Raiders.

But on Sunday in Buffalo, Roethlisberger showed again what most expert NFL observers already know. There is nothing soft about the way Roethlisberger plays football.

He’s clearly one of the best QBs in the game, and he just might be the toughest.

He’s a big, strong guy who’s tough to bring down. He’s not afraid to run with the ball when he has to. And as he proved in the 19-16 overtime win over the Bills, Roethlisberger can play in pain.

Late in the second quarter, Roethlisberger suffered a sprained foot. He limped off the field as the Steelers headed into the locker room at halftime.

But in the second half, he didn’t miss a snap. He kept making plays, and had the Steelers’ offensive line not been flagged for all those holding penalties, the Steelers would have won in regulation and Roethlisberger would have probably thrown for more than 300 yards.

As it was, Roethlisberger threw for 246. But two of the holding calls against left guard Chris Kemoeatu negated completions that totaled 47 yards.

Then midway in the fourth quarter, Roethlisberger avoided a sack and took off running on a third-and-17 play. At the tail end of that run, Roethlisberger didn’t take the “soft” route by sliding to the ground to avoid contact. Instead, he bulled his way for a few extra yards. He picked up 18 on the play and a fresh set of downs.

“It’s third-and-forever, and he gets the first down,” Bills linebacker Paul Posluszny said. “He’s a big-time player.”

Today, Roethlisberger’s name will be included on the Steelers’ injury report for the first time this season. There’s a chance he may be limited at practice Wednesday and Thursday. But unless tests on Roethlisberger’s foot taken Monday reveal a fracture, there’s no way he’ll miss the game in Baltimore.

The Steelers have played the Ravens 14 times since Roethlisberger was drafted. In games Roethlisberger started against the Ravens, the Steelers are 7-2. In five games Roethlisberger didn’t start, the Steelers are 0-5.

Doctors’ orders kept Roethlisberger from playing last year in Baltimore. But this year, a sprained foot won’t stop him from playing in the NFL’s fiercest rivalry.

Mike Bires can be reached online at [email:23v3b3tr]bires@timesonline.com[/email:23v3b3tr].

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1424/2010/november/29/bires-qbs-dont-come-tougher-than-ben.html

ghettoscott
11-30-2010, 02:59 PM
why wasnt that a flag? If Harrison had leaned and twisted on the opposing QB he would have been tossed.... :?:

RKSteel
11-30-2010, 03:23 PM
why wasnt that a flag? If Harrison had leaned and twisted on the opposing QB he would have been tossed.... :?: Exactly, I lost my mind and my voice screaming at the TV.
Woodley gets fined for tapping Marica; Ben gets bent in half, nothing.

hawaiiansteel
11-30-2010, 04:11 PM
I hope Ben's protective boot doesn't look like these...

http://cdn.ksk.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/tom-brady-uggs.jpg

Crash
11-30-2010, 04:36 PM
Watch the extra shot Wallace takes after the deep pass Ben threw in the 2nd quarter in Buffalo.

That's 15 if Clark does it.

grotonsteel
11-30-2010, 05:21 PM
why wasnt that a flag? If Harrison had leaned and twisted on the opposing QB he would have been tossed.... :?:

Seriously Marcus Stroud was literally putting his entire body weight on Ben and i think that is a personal foul..

hawaiiansteel
11-30-2010, 05:49 PM

Seriously Marcus Stroud was literally putting his entire body weight on Ben and i think that is a personal foul..

yes, using your full body weight in the NFL can get you fined... :moon

RuthlessBurgher
11-30-2010, 09:46 PM

yes, using your full body weight in the NFL can get you fined... :moon

Especially considering that Stroud's lard@$$ body weight is about 100 lbs. more than Harrison's body weight.

hawaiiansteel
12-01-2010, 02:16 AM

:Agree

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1124941/32921316E.jpghttp://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1124941/32921400E.jpg