PDA

View Full Version : What's your gut telling you

Djfan
11-30-2010, 01:55 AM
About Sunday's game?

I don't feel good about this one at all.

AkronSteel
11-30-2010, 02:00 AM
My gut tells me we will show up and play the best game that we have played all year. This is the game that our squad has been waiting for since Ben came back!!! This is their opportunity to right the wrongs and take a step forward in the conference. I think if the OL can protect Ben then we will be able to move the ball on the Ravens with some consistency and if the D can slow down Rice and get after Flacco then I say we go into Baltimore and get a big divisional win is their house!!!

My Early Week Prediction

Steelers 17
Ravens 12

sd steel
11-30-2010, 02:03 AM
We should win easily. The Rats defense isn't like it used to be, Pouncey will do the job on Ngata, and it might not be pretty, but we shouldn't lose this one.

skyhawk
11-30-2010, 02:37 AM
I really don't know what to expect from this team. It is really lacking identity. Too many distractions. Too many 2nd and 3rd teamers on the line.

A defense that can't stop anyone in the fourth Q when needed. A disturbing propensity to getting flags thrown on them, legit or not. The defensive rushers can be quick but they lack strength AND speed at the point of attack and have been getting stopped 1-1.

With the lack of control on both lines (offense and defense lines) vs good teams makes it hard to pick them against the Ravens. IF they play a perfect game in Baltimore, and the coaches try to surprise them, they have a chance. Otherwise it will be a long evening once again.

LordVile
11-30-2010, 04:08 AM
Flacco hasn't beaten Big Ben, if i ain't mistaken. I don't think he will on Sunday. My gut and brain tell me that we're gunna win this game, not by alot.. but STEELERS will prevail.. The Ravens don't scare me.. The Steelers D is gonna show up big time. I expect a few turnovers go our way.

We got this game. 65% sure that we'll win.
:tt1

proudpittsburgher
11-30-2010, 09:22 AM
My ever-expanding gut tells me that there is not a perfect team in the NFL. My gut tells me you play with the cards you are dealt. My gut tells me that we got a break against Buffalo last week and took advantage of it by pounding the ball with Mendy in that last drive, fended off numerous poor field position holes late in the game and in overtime, got clutch kids from sep and suisham and a mega clutch run out of Ben late in the game. My gut tells me this team has heart and talent. And my gut tells me we will win on Sunday night.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-30-2010, 09:39 AM
This team can win against any other in the NFL, and vice versa unfortunately. With this Steeler squad, even spotting me 3 and a half quarters of any given game, I'd still only be 50% right in predicting who will come out on top 7 minutes later. This started during the playoff run to XLIII, and hasn't changed.

Can the Steelers beat the Ravens? Easily.

Will they ... yes, I think so.

I hope this is the week Tomlin beats the tar out of both coordinators with 2x4s. "DO YOUR F*N JOBS...", he says to them!!

"Ariens - I want a Plan B, AND a Plan C, on my desk by 5PM Monday".

"And LeBeau - no saving your best for the playoffs - THIS IS the playoffs!".

Oviedo
11-30-2010, 09:44 AM
Sorry, but my gut tells me our OL will be exposed by the size of the Ravens DL and unless Ben uses lots of 3 step drops (which won't happen) I'm afraid this one could get out of hand.

I'm also still betting that Goodell suspends Harrison for this one to make sure the Ravens get the upper hand in the Division.

Again, I hope I am proven to be wrong but I have the same feelings about this game that I did before the Saints and Pats games.

SidSmythe
11-30-2010, 10:41 AM
I think we will be fine as long as we score more points than they do!!

Steelhere10
11-30-2010, 10:55 AM
My gut tells me that BA, will beat his head against the wall and keep trying to run and that DL will rush3 all day and no blitz. There for setting us up for failure

D Rock
11-30-2010, 11:12 AM
my gut tells me they surprise us all and have GREAT gameplans on both sides of the ball, and that this one starts to go the way of the game a few years back when Ben had 5 first half TDs

Maybe not quite that extreme, but it will be a good one.

Then they will struggle a little bit and drop a stinker against the Jets, but come back and beat the crap out of them in the playoffs too.

Kinda like 2005 with the Colts.

Oh yeah....and then they win the Superbowl.

SteelerNation1
11-30-2010, 11:46 AM
If we can keep them off balance w/ Mendy we will have a great chance to win. If he can't find yrds we could be in trouble. Would love a big special teams play to get us going.

Oviedo
11-30-2010, 11:54 AM
my gut tells me they surprise us all and have GREAT gameplans on both sides of the ball, and that this one starts to go the way of the game a few years back when Ben had 5 first half TDs

Maybe not quite that extreme, but it will be a good one.

Then they will struggle a little bit and drop a stinker against the Jets, but come back and beat the crap out of them in the playoffs too.

Kinda like 2005 with the Colts.

Oh yeah....and then they win the Superbowl.

my gut tells me they surprise us all and have GREAT gameplans on both sides of the ball

That would be a surprise because both coordinators have been lacking this season.

Tomlinator
11-30-2010, 11:58 AM
I'd love to see a nice easy win. The Oakland type games have become few and far between. But my gut tells me it'll be a nail biter again.

Steelers 17
Ratbirds 13

If I'm allowed to dream, Harrison terrorizes Flacco all night and we win by 20+.

AzStillers1989
11-30-2010, 12:05 PM
STEELERS 23

Ravens 13

GO STEELERS!!!!!!

:tt1 :tt2 :Beer

MeetJoeGreene
11-30-2010, 12:22 PM
My gut is telling me to take more antacids everytime I start to think about this game.

I am pretty friggin worried.

Sugar
11-30-2010, 12:22 PM
My gut says we can win, but it will be hard without controlling the LOS on either side.

williar
11-30-2010, 12:38 PM
We lose! We are just not that good....I believe the ravens have gotten better this year with the additions of WR Bolden and Housh, and we have gotten worse, particularly by the subtraction of Santonio Holmes. Too many injuries and I think Flacco will outplay Roethlisberger... Hey! You asked!

flippy
11-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Flippy's gut says "Feed me".

Hopefully the Steelers are as hungry as Flippy.

Sunday should be fine.

ikestops85
11-30-2010, 12:47 PM
It's going to be one of those games that comes down to the last couple of minutes. I hope we are the team behind by a couple with under 2 minutes and we get the ball. Then I will feel comfortable that we win.

However, if the situation is reversed and we have the lead and the ratbirds get the ball with under 2 minutes to play then I'm not feeling too good.

oh, and to stay on topic. My gut is telling me that I ate way too much food and drank too much over the Thanksgiving weekend. My pants are telling me that too. :(

sentinel33
11-30-2010, 01:15 PM
a few things...

with ben not 100% its already tough.
add to that the fact that scott is gonna have to deal with suggs, and its gonna be a long day when we are in passing situations.
but they are dinged up at key spots with oher, landry and mcclain. but those guys will play. just like ben will play.
i think to win this game we are gonna have to be successful in the running game and need a couple key turnovers and have excellent special teams play. they will put points on the scoreboard and it will take more than 20 for us to win this one. the crowd will be unreal at m&t.

but we have Sweezy so i think we pull it out.

Shawn
11-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Sorry, but my gut tells me our OL will be exposed by the size of the Ravens DL and unless Ben uses lots of 3 step drops (which won't happen) I'm afraid this one could get out of hand.

I'm also still betting that Goodell suspends Harrison for this one to make sure the Ravens get the upper hand in the Division.

Again, I hope I am proven to be wrong but I have the same feelings about this game that I did before the Saints and Pats games.

I'm right with you and had the same feelings before the Saints and Pats games as well. What I am concerned about most is our OL. They will bring confusion and they will get pressure. If our OL can withstand the pressure and play well...we win this game. If they don't we won't.

Ghost
11-30-2010, 01:25 PM
Can they win - of course. Came within less than a minute of doing it with Batch.

I will be surprised if they pull out the W though.

A lot of it depends on Ben's foot come game time. The Bills sacked him 5 times. With limited mobility it could turn into a bloodbath back there.

RuthlessBurgher
11-30-2010, 01:27 PM
Pouncey will do the job on Ngata.

Unfortunately, after watching what Kyle Williams did to Kemoeatu last week, Haloti Ngata will line up across from Kemo in this game for a battle of Tongan heavyweights. In the last game against us earlier this year, Ngata had an insane number of tackles for a down lineman in a 3-4 (11 total, 8 solo, plus a sack). Pouncey will face off against Kelly Gregg or Terrence Cody.

costanza2k1
11-30-2010, 02:01 PM
My gut tells me to never bet against Ben in big games. Steelers will win and a lot of us will be a lot older when the game is done.

RuthlessBurgher
11-30-2010, 02:04 PM
My gut tells me to never bet against Ben in big games. Steelers will win and a lot of us will be a lot older when the game is done.

I plan on being 5 days older when the game is done. :P

costanza2k1
11-30-2010, 02:12 PM

I plan on being 5 days older when the game is done. :P

:moon

papillon
11-30-2010, 03:03 PM
After the inconsequential first down run by Mendenhall for 1 or 2 yards the Steelers should use screen passes to slow down Suggs and the other DE or OLB depending on the defense being used.

I know the Steelers don't excel at running delays, draws, screens, etc, b ut it is an excellent way to slow down a pass rush, particularly since Mendenhall, Moore and Wallace are capable of making big plays out of little plays.

Steelers: 17
Ravens: 15

Pappy

Dee Dub
11-30-2010, 03:06 PM
I'll just re-post what I said in an earlier thread...

The problem with beating the Ravens isnt what we do or dont do on defense. Even last time without getting much pressure on Flacco the Steelers defense still only gave up 17 points. The problem is offense....or offensive philosophy I should say. The Steelers are going to try..even to a point of redundentaly overstating it..to run the football. And I am sorry.....versus the Ravens they can't. They have never been able too run against them and they probably never will be able too. It sucks to have to say this but it is true. The Ravens have long been built to stop the run and they have always been able to do so versus the Steelers. But the Steelers will insist on doing so and will more than likely become stagnent on offense as a result. It's the Steelers mind set...or what they insist is their formula for success. No matter what their personel is they will insist on running the ball. Even when their opponent consistantly stops them and their own personel is better suited for throwing the football.

What they should do is spread the Ravens defense out. Negate their blitz. Make that blitz more recognizable and have to come from a greater distance. More play action on first downs to capitilize on the over aggressive Ravens run blitz. But they wont. They will run on first and second downs without success and then be put in must pass situations. And as a result Ben will be under a heavy pass rush.

Baltimore 23
Pittsburgh 13

Ghost
11-30-2010, 03:11 PM
Steelers: 17 Ravens: 15

5 FGs?
2 touchdowns, a missed extra point and a safety?
TD, 2 pt conversion, 2 safeties and field goal?

Shawn
11-30-2010, 03:46 PM

The problem with beating the Ravens isnt what we do or dont do on defense. Even last time without getting much pressure on Flacco the Steelers defense still only gave up 17 points. The problem is offense....or offensive philosophy I should say. The Steelers are going to try..even to a point of redundentaly overstating it..to run the football. And I am sorry.....versus the Ravens they can't. They have never been able too run against them and they probably never will be able too. It sucks to have to say this but it is true. The Ravens have long been built to stop the run and they have always been able to do so versus the Steelers. But the Steelers will insist on doing so and will more than likely become stagnent on offense as a result. It's the Steelers mind set...or what they insist is their formula for success. No matter what their personel is they will insist on running the ball. Even when their opponent consistantly stops them and their own personel is better suited for throwing the football.

What they should do is spread the Ravens defense out. Negate their blitz. Make that blitz more recognizable and have to come from a greater distance. More play action on first downs to capitilize on the over aggressive Ravens run blitz. But they wont. They will run on first and second downs without success and then be put in must pass situations. And as a result Ben will be under a heavy pass rush.

Baltimore 23
Pittsburgh 13

I have to agree with you Dee. You do to the Ravens what you don't want other teams to do to the Steelers. These D's are built in a similar fashion with similar strengths and weaknesses. The last thing this Ravens D wants to see is the Steelers come out in 4-5 wide in a 2 minute offense to start the game. Take away their strength and throw at their weakness. Will this happen? Probably not. Would it work? I would bet on it.

RuthlessBurgher
11-30-2010, 04:22 PM

Baltimore 23
Pittsburgh 13

We ran the ball 6 times more than we passed when we played the Ravens with Batch under center this year. Understandable strategy, but unfortunately, we lost by a FG.

We ran the ball 12 times more than we passed when we played the Ravens with Dixon under center last year. Understandable strategy, but unfortunately, we lost by a FG.

We passed the ball 10 times more than we ran when we played the Ravens with Ben under center last year. Understandable strategy, and fortunately, we won by a FG.

I expect us to pass more than we run against Baltimore again like the last time we started Ben against them, provided that Ben's foot holds up, of course. The only way that I see us trying to run more than we pass against them is if we need to rely on Leftwich for an extended period (like we did the last two times we had to play backup QB's against the Ravens...keep it close...try to pull it out in the end).

AngryAsian
11-30-2010, 04:56 PM
My feeling is that we've done a great job in containing all the run-happy offenses that our opponents have thrown at us. Ray Rice will not be effective on the ground. Watching the Tampa game this past weekend, their defense was able to contain the Ratbirds, negating every scoring opportunity they had in the second half. The Ratbirds play offense exactly like the Raiders... the only difference is that Flacco is more familiar with our defense than Campbell was. We attack Flacco like we did Campbell and this game is ours. Doushmanzadah and Mason do not get good separation anymore and Boldin is the only beast we have to contain. My big worry is Rice out in the flat. He has above average hands and once he's outside with some room, he could do some damage. We keep Flacco off balance and Rice contained between the tackles, we win this game... I'm not worried about what their defense may present.

Steelhere10
11-30-2010, 05:06 PM
The good news I would never bet against Ben, but the bad news is I would bet against Arians and LEBEAU any day of the week and twice on Sundays! The two will be the only way we lose..With elementary game plans

RuthlessBurgher
11-30-2010, 05:11 PM
My feeling is that we've done a great job in containing all the run-happy offenses that our opponents have thrown at us. Ray Rice will not be effective on the ground. Watching the Tampa game this past weekend, their defense was able to contain the Ratbirds, negating every scoring opportunity they had in the second half. The Ratbirds play offense exactly like the Raiders... the only difference is that Flacco is more familiar with our defense than Campbell was. We attack Flacco like we did Campbell and this game is ours. Doushmanzadah and Mason do not get good separation anymore and Boldin is the only beast we have to contain. My big worry is Rice out in the flat. He has above average hands and once he's outside with some room, he could do some damage. We keep Flacco off balance and Rice contained between the tackles, we win this game... I'm not worried about what their defense may present.

In 3 out of his last 4 games (Miami, Carolina, Tampa), Anquan Boldin has less than 30 yards in each game and no TD's.

Dee Dub
11-30-2010, 05:55 PM
We ran the ball 6 times more than we passed when we played the Ravens with Batch under center this year. Understandable strategy, but unfortunately, we lost by a FG.

We ran the ball 12 times more than we passed when we played the Ravens with Dixon under center last year. Understandable strategy, but unfortunately, we lost by a FG.

We passed the ball 10 times more than we ran when we played the Ravens with Ben under center last year. Understandable strategy, and fortunately, we won by a FG.

I expect us to pass more than we run against Baltimore again like the last time we started Ben against them, provided that Ben's foot holds up, of course. The only way that I see us trying to run more than we pass against them is if we need to rely on Leftwich for an extended period (like we did the last two times we had to play backup QB's against the Ravens...keep it close...try to pull it out in the end).

It doesnt matter how many more times we ran than passed. If if it isn't successful 1 time is too many.

We have not been successful running the ball versus the Ravens. And we wont be Sunday. But yet I promise you the Steelers will attempt to run at least 30 times and as a result they will lose.

I hope I am wrong about the outcome but I am afraid I am right.

skyhawk
11-30-2010, 08:30 PM
This team needs to come out early and often in passing the ball. They need to score points. There needs to be a sense of urgency from the get-go in scoring points.

As we saw against the Bills, having success running the ball and controlling the clock really took precedence over scoring. Hence the dominating first half and only a 13-0 lead.

When they need to, they can spread the field and use Ben as a weapon. I suggest they not wait til the fourth quarter to do so. They usually do. If they are still in stubborn run the ball mode, and they get behind by more than 10-14 points, it's too late. This team will be done.

That being said, I think with the trouble's on the Oline (unless they step up), it will be hard to come out and score points early.

Put the ball in Ben's hand, protect him, we win. If not, Ravens have another gift from our stubborn coaching staff.

fordfixer
12-01-2010, 12:12 AM

Sunday should be fine.

Just do us all a favor and don't feed your gut a McRib
23 - 20 Steelers :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

flippy
12-01-2010, 12:19 AM

Sunday should be fine.

But they're so tasty. Although I'm not sure they are an actual rib.

RuthlessBurgher
12-01-2010, 02:17 PM

Sunday should be fine.

But they're so tasty. Although I'm not sure they are an actual rib.

The next thing you'll tell me is the sauce on the Big Mac really isn't special! :shock:

flippy
12-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Its just thousand island dressing and mayo. If that's special to you....

RuthlessBurgher
12-02-2010, 03:35 PM

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/funny-pictures-beaver-cant-hear-you.jpg

fordfixer
12-02-2010, 08:23 PM

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/funny-pictures-beaver-cant-hear-you.jpg

He said "Its just thousand island dressing and mayo. If that's special to you...."