PDA

View Full Version : OT: College Tournament

AkronSteel
11-30-2010, 01:04 AM
Just a thought, but wouldn't it be cool if this up coming weekend there was a college tournament that started that would go along with all the good NFL ball on Sunday and Monday? My thoughts are as such!!! I don't find it fair when teams like Boise are eliminated after just one loss or in my teams case the Buckeyes are eliminated because of one loss on the road at night against a rival!!! I say you take the 11 conference champions (yes, I know that some teams aren't in the top 16, but come on if they are division 1 they should be able to compete for a title), 5 at large teams, give Notre Dame an exception if they finish in the top 10.

This weekends games would look like this:

1) Oregon vs. 16) Florida International
2) Auburn vs. 15) Central Florida
3) TCU vs. 14) Northern Illinois
4) Stanford vs. 13) Connecticut
5) Wisconsin vs. 12) Virginia Tech
6) Nebraska vs. 11) Boise State
7) Ohio State vs. 10) Oklahoma
8 ) Arkansas vs. 9) Michigan State

That would set up quarter-finals for the next weekend that could look like this:

1) Oregon vs. 8 ) Arkansas
2) Auburn vs. 7) Ohio State
3) TCU vs. 11) Boise State
4) Stanford vs. 5) Wisconsin

I just don't understand the concept of the BCS, decide the champion on the field not in a voting booth!!! UGH.....just wanted to hear the thoughts of some of the smartest football folks I know!!!

The Man of Steel
11-30-2010, 06:52 AM
If I was able to singlehandedly revamp college football here's what I would do: First I'd add 8 D-1AA schools and get the total number of D-1A schools up to 128. Then I'd break them down into 8, 16 team superconferences. Each conference would then have a championship game to end the regular season thus leaving the 8 conference champions to play one another in similar fashion to the NFL's divisional playoffs. No more bowls, no more rankings, no more Big 10, SEC, etc.. but more more importantly, no more "mythical" National Champions either.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-30-2010, 07:48 AM
Just think if the NFL chose the champion the same way college football does. The team that won the Superbowl the past how many ever years, wouldn't be champ. The Giants never would have played the undefeated Patriots. The 6th seed Steelers never would have rambled to the title. College football is stupid.

steelblood
11-30-2010, 09:13 AM
If I was able to singlehandedly revamp college football here's what I would do: First I'd add 8 D-1AA schools and get the total number of D-1A schools up to 128. Then I'd break them down into 8, 16 team superconferences. Each conference would then have a championship game to end the regular season thus leaving the 8 conference champions to play one another in similar fashion to the NFL's divisional playoffs. No more bowls, no more rankings, no more Big 10, SEC, etc.. but more more importantly, no more "mythical" National Champions either.

I really don't like this idea. It doesn't account for strong conferences. Conferences in the Northeast and Southwest would be much weaker than conferences in the Southeast and Midwest

The only way to keep it fair (in that type of system) would be to have about 10-12 conferences and 4-6 at large bids from other top ranked teams. I like that version much better.