PDA

View Full Version : Rewatching the game and what I saw...

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
11-29-2010, 09:27 PM
1--- Yes we held 3-4x out of the 6 that were called but I spotted at least 5 holds on the Bills that never got called. Harrison was grabbed several x and Woodley also. This pisses me off the most and I can't help but think something is going on??? You just want the game to be called evenly and it is definetly not for some reason.

2---This game and the past few I have noticed we really miss Santonio Holmes. We gave him away and I never agreed on it. We gave Ben a second chance why not Holmes...The Steelers really miss his play making ability.

3---How do the Bills get to our QB and we don't get to theirs when we have Woodley...Timmons...Harrison...Polamalu and so forth....I for the life of me don't understand why we keep dropping Woodley and Timmons back into coverage. Remember our defense when Ben wasn't playing...we looked stout and we blitzed.

4---Finally I realize that a SB win this year or an appearance is bout of the question...I hope I am wrong but it seems were missing that emotional leader to put some fire into our game, that with some bad coaching at times and injuries it will be tough.

A win is a win but man the same stuff is going on game after game.

NorthCoast
11-29-2010, 09:36 PM

2---This game and the past few I have noticed we really miss Santonio Holmes. We gave him away and I never agreed on it. We gave Ben a second chance why not Holmes...The Steelers really miss his play making ability.

You're assuming Holmes would be playing the same way for us if he was still with us. I don't think that is a given under the circumstances he was in with the organization. He was on the verge of becoming a liability anyway and would not have been available for the first quarter season. I will agree we didn't get the best return on a trade, but we held pretty sh1tty cards in that regard.
We may miss him NOW, but I think within a season we will see his replacement emerge in Sanders or Brown or Wallace. All have the talent, only need the game experience.

SteelerNation1
11-29-2010, 09:49 PM
4---Finally I realize that a SB win this year or an appearance is bout of the question...I hope I am wrong but it seems were missing that emotional leader to put some fire into our game, that with some bad coaching at times and injuries it will be tough.

Man, we are 8-3 and if you think ANY other team has looked better than us consistently, you are not watching enough football. In today's NFL, just get into the playoffs and I'll take my chances with #7 any day against any team.

Discipline of Steel
11-29-2010, 10:18 PM

Man, we are 8-3 and if you think ANY other team has looked better than us consistently, you are not watching enough football. In today's NFL, just get into the playoffs and I'll take my chances with #7 any day against any team.

Hell yeah!! Why not? :Beer

And I have to agree with Northcoast on Holmes. He may have started acting up because he wanted to leave Pittsburgh? Perhaps the split last offseason was inevitable...

Blitz-en
11-29-2010, 10:21 PM
I agree with some of the original assessment here. I'm seeing alot of the same mistakes happening each week. We are dropping Woodley and Harrison in coverage alot, but they're never anywhere to be found when short pass after short pass is completed each play I mean, how the hell can you rush only 3, watch consistant passes of 10 yards or less occur with 4 Steelers each 7 yards away from the WR?

Also, I've been saying for 4 weeks that Mendenhall was going to fumble. He's running through the line with the ball at his hip. That's ridiculous for a professional RB. Don't these coaches watch film during the week? I'm sure they do, but some glaring inadequacies never change.

I would think the tape would tell the coaches that Arians' idiotic trick play calls at the most inopportune times would be very telling.

I guess there's some truth to the fact that no team is looking good consistantly in the league.............but darnit, I hold the Steelers to higher standards. Our bar is set higher than other teams. If it wasn't, we wouldn't be able to boast 6 Lombardi's.

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
11-29-2010, 10:28 PM

I watch to much football actually and what i am seeing is us not closing out games against bad teams. We should have losses against the Dolphins and the Bills.
I am seeing a horrible secondary and coaches that can't seem to make up their minds.
Listen I know we are a good team but the above points along with the o line and d-line injuries it will be tough. I hope I am wrong in the end.

Crash
11-29-2010, 10:54 PM
We gave Ben a second chance why not Holmes.

Holmes was arrested three times and failed a drug test.

He stayed.

Only after failing a second drug test, tweeting fans to go kill themselves, and talking about leaving the Steelers was he finally shown the door.

steelsnis
11-29-2010, 10:55 PM
Also, I've been saying for 4 weeks that Mendenhall was going to fumble. He's running through the line with the ball at his hip. That's ridiculous for a professional RB. Don't these coaches watch film during the week? I'm sure they do, but some glaring inadequacies never change.

Hasn't Mendenhall only fumbled twice this entire season??? The one from this week was not a result of him being careless with it, it was a result of him fighting for extra yardage and a defender making a good play on the ball.

Starlifter
11-29-2010, 10:57 PM
It wasn't until Holmes 3rd year that he became a breakout WR. I think wallace is ahead of that schedule.

Besides, all it takes is for one enterprising steeler fan to send santokio a box of doobies before he's gone for the year.

williar
11-29-2010, 11:01 PM
1--- Yes we held 3-4x out of the 6 that were called but I spotted at least 5 holds on the Bills that never got called. Harrison was grabbed several x and Woodley also. This pisses me off the most and I can't help but think something is going on??? You just want the game to be called evenly and it is definetly not for some reason.

3---How do the Bills get to our QB and we don't get to theirs when we have Woodley...Timmons...Harrison...Polamalu and so forth....I for the life of me don't understand why we keep dropping Woodley and Timmons back into coverage. Remember our defense when Ben wasn't playing...we looked stout and we blitzed.

Totally agree about missing Santonio Holmes. People who act like our offense doesn't miss him or that he wasn't a difference maker when he was here, all they have to do is watch the jets. Santonio is their difference maker. That's why we won't win at Baltimore this Sunday. Our raven killer is gone. Watch!

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
11-30-2010, 03:49 AM
Yea the guy is legit...Our last SB run he made a play in every playoff game to help us win. He is a playmaker! I really like his game and was perfect for Ben. Don't get me wrong I am pissed at him at times and even make my own doobie jokes with him to my wife...I just think our offense hasn't been the same without him.

steelblood
11-30-2010, 09:17 AM
I agree with some of the original assessment here. I'm seeing alot of the same mistakes happening each week. We are dropping Woodley and Harrison in coverage alot, but they're never anywhere to be found when short pass after short pass is completed each play I mean, how the hell can you rush only 3, watch consistant passes of 10 yards or less occur with 4 Steelers each 7 yards away from the WR?

I would think the tape would tell the coaches that Arians' idiotic trick play calls at the most inopportune times would be very telling.

I guess there's some truth to the fact that no team is looking good consistantly in the league.............but darnit, I hold the Steelers to higher standards. Our bar is set higher than other teams. If it wasn't, we wouldn't be able to boast 6 Lombardi's.

You aren't watching if you think Harrison isn't effective in coverage. He is a complete linebacker. I agree that Woodley is a liability back there.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-30-2010, 10:30 AM

YOU never agreed on it? I'm pretty sure that would be enough to have the trade rescinded. Call the league and tell them that SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL did not sign off on the deal.

Aside from that, how can you really compare Ben's "second chance" with Holmes'?

Santonio was actually charged and guilty of what he was accused of. Santonio was in the last year of his deal and already talking about not coming back. Santonio told fans to go kill themselves.

Does that even sound like a guy who is wanting a second chance?

ikestops85
11-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Yea the guy is legit...Our last SB run he made a play in every playoff game to help us win. He is a playmaker! I really like his game and was perfect for Ben. Don't get me wrong I am pissed at him at times and even make my own doobie jokes with him to my wife...I just think our offense hasn't been the same without him.

No question Tone was money in the playoffs. He made many "splash plays" in our run to Number 6. That wasn't the case in the regular season. During the regular season he was very inconsistent. While he made some plays he also dropped some key balls and, what was more irritating, didn't look for the ball when he was the hot receiver.

I liked Santonio but he didn't want to stay in Pittsburgh and be a steeler for life. He is more of a "Me" type player that we are seeing far too frequently these days ... especially amongst the receivers.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-30-2010, 12:50 PM

You aren't watching if you think Harrison isn't effective in coverage. He is a complete linebacker. I agree that Woodley is a liability back there.

Wonder if Worilds could play a solid LB and help the pass rush if we started him at OLB and moved Woodley to DE. I think Woodley will eventually slow down enough that his home is DE.

RuthlessBurgher
11-30-2010, 01:16 PM
I think Woodley will eventually slow down enough that his home is DE.

Not in a 3-4. He would need to gain 30-40 lbs and grow 3-4 inches to have a 3-4 DE's body. He could play DE in a 4-3 (similar in stature to Dwight Freeney), where he would be rushing the passer more and dropping back into coverage less.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-30-2010, 04:28 PM
I think Woodley will eventually slow down enough that his home is DE.

Not in a 3-4. He would need to gain 30-40 lbs and grow 3-4 inches to have a 3-4 DE's body. He could play DE in a 4-3 (similar in stature to Dwight Freeney), where he would be rushing the passer more and dropping back into coverage less.

Keisel is about 285 and they said Woodley at one point was in the 270's.

AngryAsian
11-30-2010, 04:49 PM
I agree that in this first year without his services, we are lacking Holmes' vital skill sets and the synergy he had with BB. But I also agree with the sentiments that if we give our three young bucks some time to learn more of the system with some solid game time reps, coupled with some of Hines' work ethic guidance and we could be looking to have a receiving corps second to none. Everyone has sang all of the Stonio accolades, but people fail to remember that Stonio is the other side of the Ted Ginn, Jr. coin. Coming out of college both pretty much had the same dimensions, speed, talent, pedigree, etc... Stonio was integrated into a system where he had a mentor to help him acclimate and a system that required him not to be a savior in a languishing offense. Ginn Jr. was set up for failure because he had the complete opposite circumstances. Stonio has flourished in New York because once again he's asked to be part of a collective of established veterans and brings with him all the years of knowledge he was able to absorb from a great atmosphere of football.