hawaiiansteel
11-29-2010, 06:52 PM
why am I not surprised? hey Goodell... :moon

NFL rejects Harrison's fine appeals

Monday, November 29, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201011/dianasteelers112110_23_330.jpg

Peter Diana
Steelers' LB James Harrison asks a referee why he was called for a roughing penalty on Raiders' QB Jason Campbell in a game at Heinz Field earliert this month.

James Harrison, who might face yet another fine after another roughing the passer penalty against him Sunday, learned today that his appeals of two fines totaling $95,000 were rejected by the NFL.

Bill Parise, the agent for the Steelers Pro Bowl linebacker, received an email from the league office this afternoon telling him about the turndown of the appeal.

Three weeks ago, Harrison appealed a $75,000 fine the NFL issued him for what it called an illegal hit of Cleveland wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi Oct. 17, and for another $20,000 fine for a hit on New Orleans quarterback Drew Brees Oct. 31.

"They did not reduce it," Parise said. "They said it was multiple occurrences and called it an egregious act -- that's a big word isn't it?"

Harrison was penalized 15 yards Sunday for a hit to Buffalo quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick in which the officials ruled he had led with his helmet.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10333/11 ... z16iMD2zJW (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10333/1106996-66.stm#ixzz16iMD2zJW)

hawaiiansteel
11-29-2010, 07:03 PM
Is James Harrison being unfairly profiled for dangerous hits?

By Chris Chase

It's becoming every bit the Sunday tradition as laughter-filled pregame shows, thrilling games called by Gus Johnson and "60 Minutes" coming up next except on the West Coast: James Harrison getting flagged for a personal foul and then complaining about it after the game. The only difference is, this time the Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker might have a point.

Some thoughts:

1. This is a close one. It's not a clear penalty, but it's not definitely clean either. (You can vote on this below.) However, I'd wager a good chunk of change that Brian Urlacher or Ray Lewis doesn't get flagged for making the same exact hit. Fairly or not, James Harrison is being profiled for his past behavior. In this case, he made a clean hit and was flagged for it because of the name on the back of his jersey.

2. Don't cry for him, though; Harrison is by no means an innocent bystander in this. He brought this scrutiny upon himself with years of actual dirty play, high-profile condemnations of Roger Goodell's new policies and vows of defiance of new rules. He's been fined $80,000 this year already but said before this week's game that he was no longer worried about calls. Harrison didn't just put the microscope on himself, he adjusted the slide and focused it too.

3. That being said, the fact that Harrison is usually guilty doesn't mean he's always guilty. This was a bang-bang play. Fitzpatrick took the snap from the shotgun and released the ball in 1.25 seconds. Harrison blitzed up the middle and was tasked with sacking the quarterback. What was he supposed to do? He didn't launch himself, he didn't hit Fitzpatrick in the chin (despite what Solomon Wilcots said on the CBS broadcast) and he didn't hit him late. Of course, he hit him with the crown of his helmet. Would Goodell prefer that he used a throw pillow to make the tackle?

4. Harrison after the game: "[The flag] isn't going to change the way I play. There was nothing wrong about the play."

5. There's no good way to go about this. Profiling is effective when done properly. Andre Johnson shouldn't be suspended for beating on Cortland Finnegan because of his past history; if that was Hines Ward, I'd say ban him for a game. But Harrison can't be expected to play like he's in an intramural flag football game. It's a familiar refrain, but this is football. Forget the emphasis on dirty hits and tell refs to watch the game with an open mind and police the game accordingly.

Should James Harrison have been flagged for his hit on Ryan Fitzpatrick?

Yes
21%

No
79%

1040 Total Votes

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...v=1#poll.58263

Crash
11-29-2010, 07:22 PM
Art Shell (Steelers hater) and Ted Cottrell (Lost a DC job to Tomlin) handle that appeals process.

Take from that what you will.

plainnasty
11-29-2010, 08:00 PM
How can any unbiased person look at these fines and and think that they are fair? It's criminal.

Djfan
11-29-2010, 08:03 PM
The new NFL - National Fairy League.

RuthlessBurgher
11-29-2010, 08:24 PM
Art Shell and Ted Cottrell come into Roger Goodell's office wearing matching tuxedos.

Roger: "Okay, fellas...I need a couple of guys to handle disciplinary appeals for the NFL. You interested?"

Ted: "Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos."

Roger: "I don't want to use an actual qualified arbitrator, because he might actually overturn some of my decisions. We can't have that."

Art: "Wait...shut your mouth. You're coming off as stupid."

Roger: "I just need you to sit through the hearings with a blank look on your faces like you used to have on the sidelines all the time when you were coaching."

Art and Ted stare blankly into space, just as Roger described. After a few seconds, Ted lets out the longest fart in recorded history.

Roger: "Was that a fart? I can taste it. On my tongue. Is that onion? Onion and...
Onion and ketchup."

Art: "Tom Brady. Peyton Manning. Ben Roethlisberger. You gotta #&@% one,
marry one, kill one. Go!"

Roger: "Okay, now the tuxedos seem kind of #&@%ed up."

hawaiiansteel
11-29-2010, 09:26 PM
Harrison could again find himself in NFL crosshairs

November 29th, 2010

The ferocity of James Harrison’s hit on Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick called to mind something Ryan Clark said last week.

It was after I asked the Steelers free safety about the personal foul penalty he had received for a phantom helmet to helmet hit on Raiders wide receiver Jacoby Ford.

“I think referees are reacting to the viciousness of a hit or how a hit looks to the eye instead of really thinking about the rules and the way a hit is being applied,” said Clark, who is also the Steelers' union representative. “So much pressure is being put on them by the NFL, Ray Anderson, Roger Goodell. I don’t think they want to have a hit that they don’t flag that ends up being a fine.”

I am wondering if Harrison got penalized for roughing the passer because the hit on Fitzpatrick looked brutal enough that it elicited a collective gasp in the press box.

And the press box is high above the field at Ralph Wilson Stadium so consider how it looked to the referees.

Of more significance the hit pumped more fuel into an issue that Steelers coach Mike Tomlin would love dearly to just go away -– if only for awhile as it will surely be broached at his weekly news conference again Tuesday.

It puts Harrison -– again -– in the middle of the NFL’s tug of war to make the game safer while not taking away from the essence of it.

Unlike his hit on Raider quarterback Jason Campbell, I don’t have a good feeling that Harrison will escape a fine this time.

I think it was borderline in the context of the NFL’s emphasis on safety and its determination to get players to stop leading with their helmets on hits.

The shame of all of the focus on Harrison’s playing style: it has taken away from the fact that he is playing at an incredibly high level right now.

He has been as good as he was in 2008 when Harrison won NFL Defensive Player of the Year honors.

And yet every game seems to generate a new round of questions as to whether the league is singling out the three-time Pro Bowler.

Or whether he needs to adjust to the culture change, as Goodell as called it, that is taking place in the NFL.

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the- ... um=twitter (http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/11/29/harrison-could-again-find-himself-in-nfl-crosshairs/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)