PDA

View Full Version : I was at the Coliseum Saturday Night…

Dee Dub
11-29-2010, 03:52 PM
And couldn’t help but noticed Notre Dame WR Michael Floyd. There was a lot to see too. I watched his whole body of work. His blocking, his route running, his cuts, how he went after the ball, how he caught the ball, his energy, and his overall toughness. I have to say I was quite impressed. And all through this I couldn’t help but think about how he reminded me a lot of Hines Ward. Yes he is bigger than Hines but he had a lot of the same make-up. In the blocking game, he can flat out knock the snot out of a defender just like Hines.

He is projected as a late first early second round pick should he declare for the draft ( A junior). I get this feeling he is going to excel at the next level. He seems to have that “It” factor.

Here are a couple other receivers I think are worth looking at if you have a chance. These are probably second and third round options but I think are big time talents. Good size for both of these guys.

Leonard Hankerson Miami-----------has had problems with drops but I read he was working with Mark Duper on this. Productivity and big play ability with this guy negates what negatives there are with any drop problem.

Armon Binns Cincinnati---------------has a knack for plays that win games.

Dee Dub
11-29-2010, 03:57 PM
Whoops! I forgot one....

Juron Criner WR Arizona (Junior)-----silky smooth. 6 ft 4 210 and has speed.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-29-2010, 05:10 PM
We don't need another WR. We got Sweed coming back next year. Mix him with the current crew of young WR and we got SB caliber WR's. :Beer :lol:

steelblood
11-29-2010, 06:54 PM
Sweed? Please. He dropped everything, had a nervous breakdown, then had a severe injury that could forever compromise his speed and cutting ablilty.

All we really have is Wallace, Sanders, and Brown. Hines is close to retiring. El is crap. Battle is a special teams guy only. Those three are a good start, but they are all small and frail. We need a physical WR to add to the mix.

steelerkeylargo
11-29-2010, 07:46 PM
With the way our OL looks I can't even fathom we would draft a WR before the 4th round if at all.

1) Ward (will play next year unless we win the SB)
2) Wallace (is ready to be the #1 now)
3) Sanders (showing he belongs)
4) Brown (looks like a keeper in all phases)

Dee Dub
11-29-2010, 07:57 PM
With the way our OL looks I can't even fathom we would draft a WR before the 4th round if at all.

The Steelers have had a poor O-line for what now...3 Seasons? How has that worked out in the draft?? Is this O-line any worse than it was 3 seasons ago when they won the Super Bowl? And for the past 3 years the Steelers have not gone crazy drafting O-line just to be drafting O-line. I know the fans want to see an O'line with their first 5 picks but the Steelers dont work that way. Thank God.

Hines should retire after this year. He is on a steady decline. Sanders and Brown are very unproven. And this team could benefit from getting a bigger, more physical receiver that compliments the 3 smurfs they have. If they can get a first round talent in the second round at a position of need, you always have to look at it.

jj28west
11-29-2010, 08:09 PM
It will be pointed out that Ben never won a Super Bowl with a Plex type receiver but I agree it would be nice to add one for the red zone if they wont throw to Spaeth.
Theres a long list of ones in recent years that never made it and now there seems to be greater needs.

steelerkeylargo
11-29-2010, 08:40 PM

The Steelers have had a poor O-line for what now...3 Seasons? How has that worked out in the draft?? Is this O-line any worse than it was 3 seasons ago when they won the Super Bowl? And for the past 3 years the Steelers have not gone crazy drafting O-line just to be drafting O-line. I know the fans want to see an O'line with their first 5 picks but the Steelers dont work that way. Thank God.

Hines should retire after this year. He is on a steady decline. Sanders and Brown are very unproven. And this team could benefit from getting a bigger, more physical receiver that compliments the 3 smurfs they have. If they can get a first round talent in the second round at a position of need, you always have to look at it.

Our line is decimated. Freakin Matt Spaeth almost played tackle two weeks ago. Good D's will expose it come playoff time and we will need Herculean efforts by Ben and our D to overcome it. WR and DL are the 2 deepest parts of the upcoming draft. Take a guy like Criner in the 3rd if Hines retires. Other than that we better be drafting both sides of the line and CB.

Dee Dub
11-29-2010, 09:16 PM

Our line is decimated. Freakin Matt Spaeth almost played tackle two weeks ago. Good D's will expose it come playoff time and we will need Herculean efforts by Ben and our D to overcome it.

It is decimated because of injuries. Not because a lack of talent. When healthy the Steelers have a decenet O-line.

Starks, Kemo, Pouncey, Foster, Adams isnt horrible.

Take a guy like Criner in the 3rd if Hines retires.

Now you're talkin' sense. :wink:

Dee Dub
11-29-2010, 09:21 PM
Our line is decimated. Freakin Matt Spaeth almost played tackle two weeks ago. Good D's will expose it come playoff time and we will need Herculean efforts by Ben and our D to overcome it. WR and DL are the 2 deepest parts of the upcoming draft. Take a guy like Criner in the 3rd if Hines retires. Other than that we better be drafting both sides of the line and CB.

What would you think if the Steelers went like this 1, 2, and 3?

1-Demarcus Love OT Arkansas
2-Ras-I Dowling CB Virginia (would have to move up in round two)
3-Juron Criner WR Arizona

Three good football players that fill 3 needs.

steelerkeylargo
11-29-2010, 09:52 PM

I would be fine with that only if Hines retires. I would rather see

1) Pouncey
2) Aaron Williams or Jimmy Smith
3) Christian Ballard

RuthlessBurgher
11-30-2010, 12:05 AM

I'd take it for sure...but in order to trade up high enough for Dowling to be in play, we'd almost certainly have to give up that 3rd round pick to move up in round 2.

ikestops85
11-30-2010, 01:17 PM
How about we sign Plex next year? That takes care of one need. We have to draft big uglies next year ... on both sides of the ball. It would also be nice to get a "cover" corner instead of a corner who is physical and a good tackler. It would be nice having the corner deny the receiver the ball instead of letting him catch it and having to make a tackle.

Dee Dub
11-30-2010, 03:00 PM
How about we sign Plex next year? That takes care of one need. We have to draft big uglies next year ... on both sides of the ball. It would also be nice to get a "cover" corner instead of a corner who is physical and a good tackler. It would be nice having the corner deny the receiver the ball instead of letting him catch it and having to make a tackle.

Hiloti Ngata NT
Sydney Rice WR
Jonathan Joseph CB
Richard Marshall CB
Vincent Jackson WR
Miles Austin WR
Marcus McNeill OT
Jared Gaither OT
Matt Light OT
Jermon Bushrod OT
Logan Mankins OG
Marcus Spears DT
David Harris ILB
Paul Posluszny ILB

Northern_Blitz
11-30-2010, 04:06 PM
And couldn’t help but noticed Notre Dame WR Michael Floyd. There was a lot to see too. I watched his whole body of work. His blocking, his route running, his cuts, how he went after the ball, how he caught the ball, his energy, and his overall toughness. I have to say I was quite impressed. And all through this I couldn’t help but think about how he reminded me a lot of Hines Ward. Yes he is bigger than Hines but he had a lot of the same make-up. In the blocking game, he can flat out knock the snot out of a defender just like Hines.

He is projected as a late first early second round pick should he declare for the draft ( A junior). I get this feeling he is going to excel at the next level. He seems to have that “It” factor.

Here are a couple other receivers I think are worth looking at if you have a chance. These are probably second and third round options but I think are big time talents. Good size for both of these guys.

Leonard Hankerson Miami-----------has had problems with drops but I read he was working with Mark Duper on this. Productivity and big play ability with this guy negates what negatives there are with any drop problem.

WRs have the highest bust rate amoung 1st round picks. I'm all for BPA, but I hope we don't select a WR. If Hines doesn't retire, we'll have Ward, Wallace, Sanders, Brown, and Miller to catch balls (apparently Mendenhall was good at catching balls in college, but we don't really throw to RBs). I think that corps, plus another 3-4 round WR is good enough.

We still need some reloading on the lines so hopefully some good fat guys fall to us in the draft (and maybe we'll have 2 drafts before we see any action in the NFL anyway).

RuthlessBurgher
11-30-2010, 04:10 PM

Hiloti Ngata NT
Sydney Rice WR
Jonathan Joseph CB
Richard Marshall CB
Vincent Jackson WR
Miles Austin WR
Marcus McNeill OT
Jared Gaither OT
Matt Light OT
Jermon Bushrod OT
Logan Mankins OG
Marcus Spears DT
David Harris ILB
Paul Posluszny ILB

I love LaMarr Woodley and all, but I'd give every penny we have earmarked him and give it to Ngata in a second (the fact that it would get him off Baltimore's team would be a bonus). Dude is a beast. Man among boys.

Dee Dub
11-30-2010, 04:11 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":jyrxf3vy]And couldn’t help but noticed Notre Dame WR Michael Floyd. There was a lot to see too. I watched his whole body of work. His blocking, his route running, his cuts, how he went after the ball, how he caught the ball, his energy, and his overall toughness. I have to say I was quite impressed. And all through this I couldn’t help but think about how he reminded me a lot of Hines Ward. Yes he is bigger than Hines but he had a lot of the same make-up. In the blocking game, he can flat out knock the snot out of a defender just like Hines.

WRs have the highest bust rate amoung 1st round picks. I'm all for BPA, but I hope we don't select a WR. If Hines doesn't retire, we'll have Ward, Wallace, Sanders, Brown, and Miller to catch balls (apparently Mendenhall was good at catching balls in college, but we don't really throw to RBs). I think that corps, plus another 3-4 round WR is good enough.

We still need some reloading on the lines so hopefully some good fat guys fall to us in the draft (and maybe we'll have 2 drafts before we see any action in the NFL anyway).[/quote:jyrxf3vy]

Agreed....but I am not suggesting a first round pick be used. Second or third. Floyd may end up in round two and Hankerson, Criner, and Binns are second and third rounders.

Dee Dub
11-30-2010, 04:13 PM
I love LaMarr Woodley and all, but I'd give every penny we have earmarked him and give it to Ngata in a second (the fact that it would get him off Baltimore's team would be a bonus). Dude is a beast. Man among boys.

Cha-ching!! I am with you 100%.

ikestops85
11-30-2010, 06:03 PM

Cha-ching!! I am with you 100%.

I'm with you guys on this one. I would love to have Ngata playing for the good guys.

steelblood
11-30-2010, 07:17 PM
if there is football next season and if there is a no franchise tag (for Baltimore to keep Ngata with),.....

I'd be all for that sign too. Ngata isn't even old yet. It would take probably 9-10 mil per or so to get him.

sentinel33
12-01-2010, 01:29 PM
no way baltimore lets ngata go. hes easily in the top 3 best D-linemen in the league.
furthermore, there is no way we should take a wr in the first 4 rounds. those picks need to be devoted to o-line, d-line and a d-back or two(FS and CB). i do like the idea of getting sidney rice on the cheap though in FA. especially if Sweed cant come around.

focosteeler
12-01-2010, 02:09 PM
no way baltimore lets ngata go. hes easily in the top 3 best D-linemen in the league.
furthermore, there is no way we should take a wr in the first 4 rounds. those picks need to be devoted to o-line, d-line and a d-back or two(FS and CB). i do like the idea of getting sidney rice on the cheap though in FA. especially if Sweed cant come around.

:Agree hopefully he isn't fully recovered from his injury by the end of the season and the viking are dealing with other crap so they just let him go.

Dee Dub
12-01-2010, 02:20 PM

Here we go again!! :roll: The “Pick this position no matter where they are slotted on your board because we have huge holes to fill approach”.

Yeah lets’ draft another Kraig Urbik in round 3 just because it is our biggest need. Or how about a Tony Hills in round 4?

And then watch how fast the Steelers become the Detroit Lions.

steelblood
12-01-2010, 05:07 PM

it all depends on the new collective bargaining agreement.