PDA

View Full Version : Stevie Johnson Blames God

Jooser
11-29-2010, 12:53 PM
Anyone see this on Yahoo Sports? Here's a sample of the tweet after the game.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/ept_sports_nfl_experts-199308836-1290987173.jpg

Full story here: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... nfl-289770 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Steve-Johnson-blames-God-for-his-overtime-drop?urn=nfl-289770)

Strange.... :shock:

Crash
11-29-2010, 12:57 PM
http://www.thearchnemesis.com/images/jobu.jpg

Jooser
11-29-2010, 01:02 PM
http://www.thearchnemesis.com/images/jobu.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/10.gif NICE!!!!

I see you do have a sense of humor after all! :D

sentinel33
kids young. in life. in maturity. in faith. he'll get it. i did like how he talked to the media though. take the blame. move on thats growin up and a step in the right direction. the kid has skills thats for sure. just not yesterday. you gotta play big when you play the steelers. now he knows. the good lord never gives us more than we can handle.

ikestops85
I nominate Stevie for the "Limas Sweed Best Drop of a Touchdown" Award. :lol: :lol:

Mister Pittsburgh
Him and Sweed should do lunch. Sweed can tell him how he dropped one in a much bigger game cheering him up. Gotta feel a little for them but man. Lame blaming God for failing to catch a football.

Jooser
11-29-2010, 01:08 PM
I think he was half way through that bottle of Jobu's rum when he tweeted that.

proudpittsburgher
11-29-2010, 01:15 PM
Initial reaction was that his twitter account was hacked. Hearing him in the postgame presser and then readign this . . . two totally seperate people. One manned up (presser) the other passed blame to God (tweet). Doesn't add up.

Jooser
11-29-2010, 01:27 PM
Yeah, but rum has that effect on some people, especially if you steal it from Jobu.

aggiebones
11-29-2010, 01:42 PM
Yea, weird. I assume, partly in jest. Talking to God outloud when things go bad is old school comedy. Maybe just that.

proudpittsburgher
11-29-2010, 03:14 PM
Yea, weird. I assume, partly in jest. Talking to God outloud when things go bad is old school comedy. Maybe just that.

George Carlin had a pretty funny bit about athletes and God. Always praising God when they make the big catch. Never blaming him when they drop the big pass. Well, George can finally rest in peace . . . it has happened.

Northern_Blitz
11-29-2010, 03:43 PM
Him and Sweed should do lunch. Sweed can tell him how he dropped one in a much bigger game cheering him up. Gotta feel a little for them but man. Lame blaming God for failing to catch a football.

I was also thinking about Sweed when I saw Sanders stay on the ground after his drop. But, he got up and didn't cost us a T.O.

RuthlessBurgher
11-29-2010, 03:45 PM

George Carlin had a pretty funny bit about athletes and God. Always praising God when they make the big catch. Never blaming him when they drop the big pass. Well, George can finally rest in peace . . . it has happened.

That's good, because Goodell was forcing Carlin to spin in his grave for essentially making his "football vs. baseball" bit obsolete following Ol' Rog's pu$$ification of the game (I swear Goodell is envious of baseball's primary objective to be safe at home!)

flippy
11-29-2010, 04:46 PM
"thx tho" is classic.

Shoe
11-29-2010, 08:15 PM
kids young. in life. in maturity. in faith. he'll get it. i did like how he talked to the media though. take the blame. move on thats growin up and a step in the right direction. the kid has skills thats for sure. just not yesterday. you gotta play big when you play the steelers. now he knows. the good lord never gives us more than we can handle.

He is a dumb ignoramus who will never "get it". How do you "praise God 24/7" and then something like this happens, and "not know what you can learn from this". Adversity is supposed to build character... perhaps you supposed to learn humility, compassion, to practice catching over the shoulder balls... I don't know. But this dumb idiot saying he can't learn nothing from this just shows how much he actually knows about faith.

Eich
11-29-2010, 08:32 PM
the good lord never gives us more than we can handle.

I heard that a LOT in my Catholic upbringing. If true, no one would ever commit suicide - unless that's considered "handling it".

Crash
11-30-2010, 12:45 AM
As Big Nasty said on Facebook, God always gets the credit, it's about time someone through him under the bus. :lol:

fordfixer
11-30-2010, 01:01 AM
If he catches another pass ever it will be by the grace of God

fordfixer
11-30-2010, 01:11 AM
Bills rally around inconsolable WR Johnson

By JOHN WAWROW, AP Sports Writer
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... viejohnson (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ahl4SlfVEBuY2QqY1eFr98tDubYF?slug=ap-bills-steviejohnson)

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP)—Stevie Johnson’s fine and his teammates had his back Monday, a day after the Buffalo Bills receiver was left questioning God and himself for dropping what would’ve been an overtime game-winning touchdown pass.

Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick(notes) says there’s no better way to keep Johnson’s spirits up than to continue throwing him the ball, which is what he intends to do.

“I have 100 percent confidence in him,” Fitzpatrick said. “That’s the biggest thing. And I think that’s the most important thing is for him to know that.”
Buffalo Bills wide receiver Steve Johnson reacts on the sidelines after dropping a pass in the endzone during overtime against the Pittsburgh Steelers in an NFL football game in Orchard Park, N.Y. on Sunday, Nov. 28, 2010. Pittsburgh won in overtime 19-16.

Center Geoff Hangartner(notes) isn’t worried either.

“He knows we’ve got his back,” Hangartner said. “There’s no need to say anything. Everybody’s made mistakes. He’s no different than the rest of us. He’ll be fine.”

Johnson remained the focus of attention a day after dropping a 40-yard touchdown pass with 10:30 left in overtime of a 19-16 loss to Pittsburgh. The Steelers won on their next possession, when Shaun Suisham(notes) hit a 41-yard field goal.

Johnson spent the rest of the game sitting alone at the end of the bench watching the Steelers drive on the video board at the opposite end of the stadium. He was inconsolable afterward, calling the drop something he’ll never get over.

And Johnson then raised eyebrows around the nation as news circulated of the tweet he posted on his Twitter account an hour after the game by wondering how God could do this to him.

Johnson laid low for most of Monday, and was the lone receiver not to make himself available to reporters in the Bills locker room.

A few hours later, Johnson provided his response with a burst of seven tweets. They ranged from him dismissing the notion that he blamed God; questioning why Bills fans would bash one of their own; and noting that he’s learned a lot in dealing with life’s ups and downs.

And just like that, the swagger seemed back for the Bills leading receiver who’s enjoying a breakout season.

“This will definitely test everything that he values as a player, as a person,” receiver Lee Evans(notes) said. “But if he can overcome it, he’ll be much better.”

It just goes to show how quickly things change in the NFL. In a topsy-turvy, seven-day span, Johnson scored three touchdowns in rallying the Bills from a 21-point deficit to beat Cincinnati 49-31 on Nov. 21. A week later, the run ended with Johnson referring to himself as “humbled” and “devastated.”

Kind of makes one wonder what’s in store next Sunday, when Buffalo (2-9) plays at Minnesota (4-7).

“There’s nobody that can wave a magic stick to make things go away. He’ll have to figure that out,” Evans said. “But I think that’s the type of guy he is. He’s come through some tough things before.”

Selected by Buffalo in the 2008 seventh round out of Kentucky, Johnson had to patiently wait two seasons before getting his shot at a starting job. He’s thrived this season under the faith provided him by first-year coach Chan Gailey.

Johnson leads the team with 59 catches, 796 yards and nine touchdowns. Overall, he ranks 11th in the NFL in receiving yards and is tied for fifth in scores.

Gailey said he can appreciate what Johnson’s been through in having “run through the gamut of emotions in dealing with success and failure. He’ll deal with it and he’ll come out strong. He’s a good man. He’ll be fine.”

Gailey doesn’t intend to change his approach with Johnson this week.

“If you start treating stuff with kid gloves or start treating it with a hammer, you’re making a mistake,” Gailey said. “I want to make sure that things don’t change because a guy has a bad game. I’ve had some bad games. You deal with it and you go on.”

NOTES: Earlier in the day, Bills owner Ralph Wilson donated $1 million to a Buffalo-area adult daycare center. Mary Wilson attended the news conference on her husband’s behalf. She said at 92, Ralph has learned the importance of nursing care. … Mary also praised the Bills for their resiliency, noting the team is showing signs of promise in how it’s been competitive in going 2-4 in its past six, with all four losses decided by 3 points. “If you don’t love this team, you don’t have a heart,” she said. “It is a team with a heart.” … Buffalo became the NFL’s fifth team to lose three games in overtime in one season, joining Green Bay (1983), the Houston Oilers (1983), Tampa Bay (1983) and Arizona (1997).

BradshawsHairdresser
11-30-2010, 06:08 AM
Johnson will be fine. Maybe he needed to be a little less bothered by the play.

I wish Ike Taylor seemed to be a little MORE bothered by it. He was beaten soundly. 9 out of 10 times, that receiver catches that ball... the Steelers easily could be 7-4 right now, but I'm sure Ike would never stop "swaggin'"....

MeetJoeGreene
11-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Troy prays harder... that's why he dropped it.

proudpittsburgher
11-30-2010, 09:10 AM

He is a dumb ignoramus who will never "get it". How do you "praise God 24/7" and then something like this happens, and "not know what you can learn from this". Adversity is supposed to build character... perhaps you supposed to learn humility, compassion, to practice catching over the shoulder balls... I don't know. But this dumb idiot saying he can't learn nothing from this just shows how much he actually knows about faith.

I don't know Stevie Johnson and don't pretend to, but get used to this line of thinking. we have a big problem with personal responsibility with this generation. It's never really our fault we screwed up, it is always someone elses.

proudpittsburgher
11-30-2010, 10:07 AM
and maybe if Stevie was going to blame God for something, he should start with being mad that God allowed him to get that haircut.

RuthlessBurgher
11-30-2010, 10:27 AM
Somewhere, Scott Norwood is saying "Get the #&@% over it, kid."

Either that, or "LACES OUT!!!"

feltdizz
11-30-2010, 10:39 AM

I heard that a LOT in my Catholic upbringing. If true, no one would ever commit suicide - unless that's considered "handling it".

God gives us the ability to choose... those who choose to commit suicide are indeed "handling it"

Johnson... I feel for him... but it happens. He dropped a pass... he didn't drop his baby or lose his home. He will be alright but I understand his frustration.

I hate twitter.

feltdizz
11-30-2010, 10:44 AM

I don't know Stevie Johnson and don't pretend to, but get used to this line of thinking. we have a big problem with personal responsibility with this generation. It's never really our fault we screwed up, it is always someone elses.

It's called frustration... and he isn't the first one to doubt God or curse God...

I've cursed his name before... I'm human. When you hit a low you usually question God or why God has "done this to you" Most don't go on Twitter to curse God though... that was stupid. The new generation has a problem with privacy.. they think the world needs to know everything they say and do.

In time I realized it's not about me all the time.. Life happens to everyone.

The Bills are 2-8. It's not like this was the SB or it was the catch that would get him to the NFL to make millions. He is blessed...but he is human.

ikestops85
11-30-2010, 10:48 AM

As Stevie would say ... "Why so serious?"

RuthlessBurgher
11-30-2010, 11:05 AM

As Stevie would say ... "Why so serious?"

http://www.buffalonews.com/incoming/article261239.ece/BINARY/w620/Steve+Johnson.jpg

Stewie
11-30-2010, 01:28 PM
He's right! God wears black and gold.

LordVile
11-30-2010, 04:01 PM
I nominate Stevie for the "Limas Sweed Best Drop of a Touchdown" Award. :lol: :lol:
:Beer :Boobs :Bow

Sugar
11-30-2010, 05:46 PM

Just because we have the ability to handle it doesn't mean we do.

It amazes me that people rail against God for anything as though he owes any one of us something. The only thing we are "owed" is a one-way ticket to Sheol. Thankfully, He has more grace than that.

NJ-STEELER
12-01-2010, 02:40 AM
when i read that i thought he was talking to himself there.

like in a 3rd person kind of way