PDA

View Full Version : A. Smith-hows the rehab goin?

sentinel33
11-29-2010, 12:15 PM
just wanted to see if anyone has an inside scoop on the health of Smith. i know he had a partial tear of the bicep- or was it the tricep...whats the mending time for an injury like that? can we expect him back in the middle of January or is that asking too much? man we need that guy back.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-29-2010, 12:34 PM
As far as I know, they still haven't IR'ed him so they must think there is some chance he could strap on the pads even if for late in the playoffs. Imagine if we could get into the playoffs and have the boost, not only on the field, but in the lockerroom too, of an Aaron Smith stepping in along side Snack, Hokester, Keisel, and a more seasoned Evander Hood?

Hood needs to start working out with Pouncey down at that Tom Shaw camp to get jacked and nasty. We need him to develop in the Timmons mold. Heck, we need him to start kicking teeth right now.

sentinel33
11-29-2010, 12:58 PM
right on Mister. when he is in there next to snack and keisel is on the other side the line is one of the best in the league. hood isnt ready for a primetime starter spot yet. he needs another off season. but he plays well coming in as a sub. the early games this year displayed that. now with eason out for an unknown amount of time with a sprained ligament and keisel not yet 100% it gonna be real interesting. Hoke will get more snaps which is nice. but woods and mcclendon are gonna neede to step up big time for us to make that push in the playoffs. Heck-maybe to even just get there.

aggiebones
11-29-2010, 01:40 PM
I was pondering starting this thread too. No information? Looks like a solid maybe, that he returns. He's not been IR'd, but he tore a muscle and ain't coming back soon.

SteelerNation1
11-29-2010, 01:59 PM
I can't remember where I read it, but I heard he is targeting the Carolina game on Dec23 as his comeback.

fordfixer
11-29-2010, 10:46 PM
I can't remember where I read it, but I heard he is targeting the Carolina game on Dec23 as his comeback.

If he's ready to come back then and the Steelers are still in the hunt do you play him or keep him on the side lines for the playoffs?

Djfan
11-30-2010, 10:20 AM

If he's ready to come back then and the Steelers are still in the hunt do you play him or keep him on the side lines for the playoffs?

Depends on where we stand in the running.

feltdizz
11-30-2010, 10:32 AM

play him... because I don't think he will make it through a play off game and I don't want our D to plan like he will be in there... even if he returns I think he will re injure his arm.

RuthlessBurgher
11-30-2010, 11:29 AM

Depends on where we stand in the running.

Or where we run in the standings. :wink:

sentinel33
11-30-2010, 12:47 PM
makes getting that first round bye all the more important. the guy is so key for the defense. hard to find players of his caliber these days. get well Aaron.

flippy
11-30-2010, 12:49 PM
I wonder if he's done for good. His injuries are weird ones lately.

grotonsteel
12-06-2010, 07:07 PM
If we look at the Injury Report Aaron Smith is listed as Doubtful. I would assume its an upgrade from being OUT to Doubtful ???

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/12/03/24 ... eport.html (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/12/03/2496177/nfl-injury-report.html)

PITTSBURGH at BALTIMORE STEELERS: DOUBTFUL: DE Aaron Smith (triceps), TE Matt Spaeth (concussion).

costanza2k1
12-06-2010, 07:16 PM
If we look at the Injury Report Aaron Smith is listed as Doubtful. I would assume its an upgrade from being OUT to Doubtful ???

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/12/03/24 ... eport.html (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/12/03/2496177/nfl-injury-report.html)

PITTSBURGH at BALTIMORE STEELERS: DOUBTFUL: DE Aaron Smith (triceps), TE Matt Spaeth (concussion).

I heard on the radio today that he's started to lift weights now and is on target for the Panthers game to return and get himself into game shape for the playoffs...

grotonsteel
12-06-2010, 07:22 PM

I heard on the radio today that he's started to lift weights now and is on target for the Panthers game to return and get himself into game shape for the playoffs...

Great News..... :tt2

focosteeler
12-07-2010, 01:42 PM

Steelers Facebook says the same thing....

Aaron Smith had an MRI; results such that he will begin lifting weights. Another MRI in 2 weeks, and Mike Tomlin said he's "encouraged."

drprwnap
12-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Another Steelers Facebook message:

Aaron Smith had an MRI; results such that he will begin lifting weights. Another MRI in 2 weeks, and Mike Tomlin said he's "encouraged."

:tt2 :tt2

Oviedo
12-07-2010, 03:06 PM

Great news, but I really can't see how he can regain the functional strength that he lost in 2-3 weeks.

California-Steel
12-07-2010, 03:10 PM

Great news, but I really can't see how he can regain the functional strength that he lost in 2-3 weeks.
He may not be able to, but these guys have therapy every day sometimes twice or three times a day. So it may be possible.

SteelAbility
12-07-2010, 08:39 PM

Tearing your tricep doesn't stop you from squatting, dead-lifting, or leg-pressing. Much of his functional strength has probably held throught that type of training.

RuthlessBurgher
12-07-2010, 10:52 PM

Tearing your tricep doesn't stop you from squatting, dead-lifting, or leg-pressing. Much of his functional strength has probably held throught that type of training.

Keisel just came back after missing 5 games due to hamstring and calf issues. Because of that, he was not likely able to do any of those above-mentioned exeercises, and he was able to hold his own in his first game back after a long layoff. I think our d-lineman mountain men from up where DJFan and Fordfixer live (Smith, Keisel, Hoke) are more what we often call "farmboy strong" as opposed to "weightroom strong."

Shoe
12-08-2010, 12:39 AM
I wonder if he's done for good. His injuries are weird ones lately.

Oh, he's done. You don't have these kinds of injuries... injuries that indicate that your body is just breaking down, if ou are as supple as you'd been. He is toast, as far as being "Aaron Smith" (i.e. a tremendous player).

BUT... having said all that.... I think... for this year, he can still provide an inspirational spark, that could propel us.

I'm thinking a future Patriots* team, where an aging Aaron Smith gives his heart (e.g. recall a game, I can't remember which one, but Smith, I think JB, and someone else... maybe Farrior? gave impassioned addresses to the team before a very big game. I think he could provide a similar spark.)

D Rock
12-08-2010, 01:27 AM
The big issue with his injury is that the triceps extends the arm, and a huge part of Smith's job is being able to get his arms extended and keep the OLinemen away from his body.

The good news is that he's such a big guy, he is still going to be strong...farm boy strong was a good way to put it. You don't lose natural muscle as quickly as you would muscle that was all a result of working out....it's just who you are and the way you are put together.

hawaiiansteel
12-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Doctors clear Steelers' Smith to begin lifting weights

By Kevin Gorman, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, December 8, 2010

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2010-12-07/aaronsmith-a.jpg

Defensive end Aaron Smith had an MRI on his torn left triceps and was cleared by team doctors to start lifting weights, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday at his weekly news conference.

"He's doing pretty good," Tomlin said. "We're going to take another MRI in about two weeks or so and see where that takes us, but we're encouraged by his progress. There's no setbacks in his recovery. It's time to take the next step and now start tossing a few weights around, which is good news."

Tomlin is optimistic that Smith could return in time for the playoffs, which is why the Steelers didn't place him on season-ending injured reserve.

"That's been our intentions all along," Tomlin said. "This is not charity by any stretch. We're not in that business. We're in the business of winning football games. We thought it was a possibility that this man could make it back and help us. He's doing what he's supposed to do; we're doing what we're supposed to do, which is win. Hopefully, the two things converge and meet."

Flozell Adams left the Baltimore game with what Tomlin called a "mild" high-ankle sprain, which could limit the starting right tackle in practice this week. Tomlin said Trai Essex is the frontrunner to start if Adams can't play. Tomlin added that the Steelers will continue to limit strong safety Troy Polamalu's participation in practice early this week as a precaution.

Tomlin said he was "a little uncomfortable" finishing Sunday's game with one tight end and six offensive linemen and was asked if wide receiver Hines Ward was a realistic replacement at tight end. "We have a bunch of volunteers," Tomlin said. "It doesn't necessarily mean I want to use them." Tomlin, however, didn't discount defensive end Brett Keisel. "He probably would be the first place I would go," Tomlin said. "He's an awesome athlete."

Tomlin said Shaun Suisham's 45-yard field goal into the wind was actually 2 yards beyond their agreed-upon range in warm-ups, but that he gave the kicker a "competitor's opportunity" and was rewarded. "That wind was significant at that end of the stadium," Tomlin said, "so it really wasn't a surprise that Baltimore didn't attempt a field goal at 48, 49 yards in that same direction. Forty-five was pushing it."

TOMLIN'S TAKE

From Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's weekly news conference:

On QB Ben Roethlisberger continuing to play with a broken nose:

"He's a competitor. I think I even said it after the game: We expect that from him not that it goes unappreciated, just that we expect that from him. He expects that from himself. He's our quarterback. AFC North football is competitive. The series against the Ravens is a competitive one. No one is going to leave that stadium extremely comfortable, on either side. We understand what playing those guys is about, and he delivered for us."

On whether he liked that the NFL fined two Baltimore players for hits?

"Not my business."

On Steelers secondary getting beat deep against the Ravens:

"I don't like it when it happens. I'm not overly concerned about it, no. They've got some talented people. ... It's kind of uncharacteristic of us, but I think giving up big plays is uncharacteristic of any great defense. And, of course, we've got a desire to be a great defense. Hopefully, we don't make a habit of it."

On the Bengals' struggles since the first meeting:

"They're a 2-10 football team or so, no doubt, but they've been in just about every football game. They made us absolutely miserable last time we played them. This is an AFC North matchup. We expect no different. Sixty minutes of football is going to be required."

On finishing each of the first three quarters of the season 3-1 heading into season's final four games:

"I'm not ready to have a 'quarter' talk. It's Tuesday of the Cincinnati Bengals. They swept us a year ago. They celebrated pretty nicely on our field the second time they beat us. That's my focus."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 12706.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_712706.html)